Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,547 members, 7,812,740 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:26 PM

Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline - Travel (208) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline (800820 Views)

SOWP Applications Via International Students Route Lets Connect Here Please... / Post Your UK Visa Timeline Here! / Joining Me In Canada; Spouse And Child (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (205) (206) (207) (208) (209) (210) (211) ... (385) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by ThekayBature: 10:44am On Apr 23, 2022
corleone427:

See ehn who dey wait for PPR and never get am especially if he dey see other people timeline wey you applied before them dey give testimony he go be like say person get home problem....make God wey answer you answer me too o...I dey tempted to apply for VV with join...Omo I done tire....my mental health has been messed with already...But God nor dey sleep las las...I shall come here to to testify I know by God's grace

I totally understand o. There is someone I flew into Canada with in September 2021. Applied for SOWP for the partner and VV for the kids, 3 months before me, even went on the new portal and applied again for VV for all of them. And I am telling her my testimony and she never hear any thing at all from them. Really, we can mostly assume that we are doing the right thing to get approval, but we can never really know. From the beginning to the end, na God's Grace. In other words, don't stop trusting in God. Na him sure pass.

1 Like

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by ThekayBature: 10:47am On Apr 23, 2022
shams040:
Tired of Canada its been 6 months now and nothing nothing. Really finding it hard to concentrate on this Ph.D. stuff. Getting so sad .

Please if you're coming to Canada don't let anybody advise you to drop your family in Nigeria and come here first. Apply together if they reject apply again.

That is what I am advising persons now. It isn't an easy choice but it somehow feels like the saner choice.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by ThekayBature: 11:08am On Apr 23, 2022
SweetJJ:

Please how did you solve this. My family's visa was refused last month based on this. After a whooping one month wait for GCms notes it came out with : client has a strong ties in Canada, like seriously, I have already told you my wife is in Canada and I want to visit her. It was so annoying. How did you solve that? We had submitted all the hometies to Nigeria we can think of.
Can I come inbox please?

That's the thing o. I didn't do anything extra because when they refused the VV, I already had a SOWP which they later approved in the pipeline. Maybe two VOs with different perceptions.
I applied for GCMS notes for the SOWP thinking I will get an idea from it, but I haven't even seen it till now. The family tie situation in the VV and the SOWP were the same, my parents and my spouse's parents.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by shams040(m): 12:02pm On Apr 23, 2022
Currently at a point of dropping this PhD in Canada. Applied for SOWP since Oct nothing nothing. Applied for VV twice they got rejected. Really tired and seems Canada is trying to frustrate young married people from Nigeria.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by owee: 12:32pm On Apr 23, 2022
owee:
Male roommate wanted

Hello guys

Flatmate needed from May 1st in Saint John, New Brunswick (Uptown apartment, 9 minutes walk to MBA campus and close to most amenities)
One room is available and goes for $355/month plus utilities(excluding power and internet). This should be good for a student or new immigrant just landing and need a cost-effective place for the next 3 to 6 months (given the way prices of houses have consistently been on the rise).

Interested, hola(PM)!

Still available
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by technix: 2:13pm On Apr 23, 2022
Hi,

Sorry to hear about this.

As a PhD student, your spouse's application should be comparatively smooth, except if some things are missing.

Did you get to see the GCMS notes for the rejected VV applications to further understand the reasons?

shams040:
Currently at a point of dropping this PhD in Canada. Applied for SOWP since Oct nothing nothing. Applied for VV twice they got rejected. Really tired and seems Canada is trying to frustrate young married people from Nigeria.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by technix: 2:15pm On Apr 23, 2022
Normally, it has always been the saner choice. Many Canadian schools advice student and family to apply together.

ThekayBature:

That is what I am advising persons now. It isn't an easy choice but it somehow feels like the saner choice.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by skull4eva: 1:13am On Apr 24, 2022
shams040:

I came in july 2021, as a PhD student and I applied since July for SOWP and VV for my spouse and two kids and up till now nothing from them. At some point I dropped out of PhD to Msc just to finish quick too and also I did to have freedom of time to be able to travel to visit my family once a while. I travelled to Nigeria in December to see my wife and kids stayed for a month. It costed some money but I stayed one month and it was worth my while. So pending the time you application gets approved you can look into visiting ur family put the ticket reservation also in ur new vv application it should strengthen it more alongside ur hometies

1 Like

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by SweetJJ: 2:41am On Apr 24, 2022
Kurukuru:
This refusal reason is nothing but a deliberate arbitrariness of the VO. You can remind them of this Federal Court decision:

In the case of Carlson TACHOT MEnkem Afuah versus the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration, 2021 FC 596). Besides, the decision of the officer to refuse my family the visa based on their tie to me in Canada is at variance with the Federal Court decision in Girn v Canada (Citizenship and Immigration), 2015 FC 1222 at paragraph 32; Tavakoli Dinani v Canada (Citizenship and Immigration), 2012 FC 1063 at paragraph 27; Demyati, above, at paragraph 11), where the court ruled that ‘’ the Officer should not have drawn negative inferences from the Applicant’s family ties in Canada. If anything, the Officer should have considered the financial support the Applicant’s family provides as a positive factor. At the very least, the Officer should have justified his/her reasoning: it is unreasonable to infer that Applicant will remain in the country illegally simply because he has strong family ties in Canada.

Interesting,. please was this your application? I want to talk to you further on it.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by SweetJJ: 2:46am On Apr 24, 2022
shams040:

Hello,. please don't loose hope. Hang in there
Order your GCms notes to see any update on the SOWP. I am also doing PhD and it is frustrating to leave my kids behind as a mother. Only for our VV application to be rejected because of ties to Canada. Get your gcms notes and see the state of your application. You can also call the MP of your area.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by SweetJJ: 2:48am On Apr 24, 2022
shams040:

What was the refusal reason? I feel they are just refusing Nigerian VV without any tangible reason.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by skull4eva: 4:50am On Apr 24, 2022
SweetJJ:

What was the refusal reason? I feel they are just refusing Nigerian VV without any tangible reason.
To the VOs the reasons are tangible becos since u have an sowp application on anyone on VV might not want to leave and with this flagpolling of a thing then u stay as long as possible till u become PR although ur stay with the collected work permit through flagpolling also depends on the visa of the spouse so to say. So dey just reject or approve by considering the SOWP immediately. I have only seen an exception of someone on this trend that got both approved
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by SweetJJ: 9:42am On Apr 24, 2022
skull4eva:

To the VOs the reasons are tangible becos since u have an sowp application on anyone on VV might not want to leave and with this flagpolling of a thing then u stay as long as possible till u become PR although ur stay with the collected work permit through flagpolling also depends on the visa of the spouse so to say. So dey just reject or approve by considering the SOWP immediately. I have only seen an exception of someone on this trend that got both approved

I didn't have a SOWP on. That was why I consider their decision baseless, why are they accusing me of what I haven't done. By the way, I am in one Facebook group and many indian nationals are getting the VV approved while waiting for their ongoing SOWP. Are they now using different yardsticks? It's just unfair
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by shams040(m): 11:33am On Apr 24, 2022
I got my GCMS for the first one but still waiting for the second.

So for the first application we had a total of 10k cad from all sources in our account with me as the sponsor.

For the second app, we got 16k in our account with me as the major sponsor. We show employment letter as a quality control scientist in a bottling company.

I attached our rejection and GCMS:

1st pics-first rejection Dec 07
2nd pic -GCMS to the first rejection. I did a rebutter for this in addition to the SOP from both of us. I argued that traveling is based on necessity and my spouse never need to travel since we are young graduates and she couldn't join . Also, in the rebbuter I argued that we are young and don't have property aside from the land we inherited from her mom as the firstborn (Name not changed yet).The last one I changed the duration to 10days to help with my PhD qualifying exam.

3rd pics- 2nd rejection April 20th.

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by shams040(m): 11:43am On Apr 24, 2022
SweetJJ:

Hello,. please don't loose hope. Hang in there
Order your GCms notes to see any update on the SOWP. I am also doing PhD and it is frustrating to leave my kids behind as a mother. Only for our VV application to be rejected because of ties to Canada. Get your gcms notes and see the state of your application. You can also call the MP of your area.

Thanks JJ. My MP is currently useless. Well I contacted them in November and said I should contact by May. I meet him in the mosque last Friday and told him my frustration but he's using political sense for me. I told him I will contact by May and I will also walk down to the office because I did last 2 weeks before we got rejected to shout for them when they ask me to contact them by July for the second VV. But the main thing is they don't care.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by shams040(m): 11:45am On Apr 24, 2022
skull4eva:

But why are Indians getting it?
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by skull4eva: 11:54am On Apr 24, 2022
shams040:

But why are Indians getting it?

Indians has right to canada nah have you forgotten indian act? Nigerians no get that opportunity.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by shams040(m): 11:59am On Apr 24, 2022
skull4eva:

Indians has right to canada nah have you forgotten indian act? Nigerians no get that opportunity.

No the Indian act is used for the first nation not the Indians per say. I have a first nation lady in my class and she explained it to me.

Here is our chat sometimes ago.

1 Like

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by coolangel54(f): 4:19pm On Apr 24, 2022
Following this thread
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Kurukuru: 9:26pm On Apr 24, 2022
Challenge this refusal in court.
That is the best thing to do
shams040:

So for the first application we had a total of 10k cad from all sources in our account with me as the sponsor.

For the second app, we got 16k in our account with me as the major sponsor. We show employment letter as a quality control scientist in a bottling company.

2nd pic -GCMS to the first rejection. I did a rebutter for this in addition to the SOP from both of us. I argued that traveling is based on necessity and my spouse never need to travel since we are young graduates and she couldn't join . Also, in the rebbuter I argued that we are young and don't have property aside from the land we inherited from her mom as the firstborn (Name not changed yet).The last one I changed the duration to 10days to help with my PhD qualifying exam.

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by shams040(m): 11:27pm On Apr 24, 2022
Kurukuru:
Challenge this refusal in court.
That is the best thing to do

We still have SOWP no money to waste. If they do too much PhD never finish we move.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by technix: 9:56am On Apr 25, 2022
Hi shams040,

Thanks for taking the time to share your note. If you don't mind, can you send your LOE privately to me, I can offer some advice.

Normally, travel history issues pop as a consequence of other things, not as a principal reason for rejection; that's why it came last. Also, personal assets naturally comes with financial status, so the main reason is often not the lack of assets, but inadequate finance.

Again, don't give up.

PS: Nigerian applicants face more scrutiny due to our antecedents.

shams040:

1 Like

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by AKANLE2: 6:32pm On Apr 25, 2022
Hello House,

For a spouse of student already in Canada since January,2022 and have a 2 years program to end in Dec, 2023. Do u think is better for the spouse to apply for SOWP or Visiting permit ( and then apply for work permit inside Canada). Please which one is faster and better?
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by skull4eva: 7:18pm On Apr 25, 2022
AKANLE2:
Hello House,

For a spouse of student already in Canada since January,2022 and have a 2 years program to end in Dec, 2023. Do u think is better for the spouse to apply for SOWP or Visiting permit ( and then apply for work permit inside Canada). Please which one is faster and better?
Currently VV is faster on the new portal. In about 1 to 3months you should get a response. Sowp is taking a very long time currently and the processing times as at last week update is 46weeks. By tomorrow an update in the new processing time will be given.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by AKANLE2: 8:02pm On Apr 25, 2022
skull4eva:

Currently VV is faster on the new portal. In about 1 to 3months you should get a response. Sowp is taking a very long time currently and the processing times as at last week update is 46weeks. By tomorrow an update in the new processing time will be given.

THANK YOU,MAY BE I SHOULD OPT FOR V V AND APPLY FOR WORK PERMIT WHEN THEY ENTER CANADA.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by skull4eva: 8:22pm On Apr 25, 2022
AKANLE2:

THANK YOU,MAY BE I SHOULD OPT FOR V V AND APPLY FOR WORK PERMIT WHEN THEY ENTER CANADA.

Smart move
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by SweetJJ: 12:12am On Apr 26, 2022
skull4eva:

While it is true VV is faster in the new portal, the refusal rate is quite very very high. Right now I'd just suggest SOWP, unless you have children and want to use them as family ties to NIGERIA. I.e, apply without them, if you are applying for yourself and the kids for VV, I am afraid the refusal reason of family ties blah blah blah may be states.

Anyways, it's your choice. And again applications differ and VOs differ too. Our prayers should be among others may the VO not be in a bad mood the day s/he will process my file.

1 Like

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by SweetJJ: 12:16am On Apr 26, 2022
Kurukuru:
This refusal reason is nothing but a deliberate arbitrariness of the VO. You can remind them of this Federal Court decision:

In the case of Carlson TACHOT MEnkem Afuah versus the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration, 2021 FC 596). Besides, the decision of the officer to refuse my family the visa based on their tie to me in Canada is at variance with the Federal Court decision in Girn v Canada (Citizenship and Immigration), 2015 FC 1222 at paragraph 32; Tavakoli Dinani v Canada (Citizenship and Immigration), 2012 FC 1063 at paragraph 27; Demyati, above, at paragraph 11), where the court ruled that ‘’ the Officer should not have drawn negative inferences from the Applicant’s family ties in Canada. If anything, the Officer should have considered the financial support the Applicant’s family provides as a positive factor. At the very least, the Officer should have justified his/her reasoning: it is unreasonable to infer that Applicant will remain in the country illegally simply because he has strong family ties in Canada.

Please who knows about this case. I want to include this in my application. An immigration lawyer said it's ok to, but how do I confirm this case so I don't shoot myself in the leg.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by skull4eva: 2:49am On Apr 26, 2022
SweetJJ:

While it is true VV is faster in the new portal, the refusal rate is quite very very high. Right now I'd just suggest SOWP, unless you have children and want to use them as family ties to NIGERIA. I.e, apply without them, if you are applying for yourself and the kids for VV, I am afraid the refusal reason of family ties blah blah blah may be states.

Anyways, it's your choice. And again applications differ and VOs differ too. Our prayers should be among others may the VO not be in a bad mood the day s/he will process my file.

I agree but no parent will leave children behind nah except they are of age and on their own. Dont forget the childrens future is one of the major reasons for migration in the first place. Leave children bawo. Vo must approve with children oo. Lols i really understand the angle you are coming from
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by skull4eva: 2:52am On Apr 26, 2022
SweetJJ:

Please who knows about this case. I want to include this in my application. An immigration lawyer said it's ok to, but how do I confirm this case so I don't shoot myself in the leg.

My fear with this is what if the Vo thinks you have an attonney right and decides to put more of their useless constitutional quotes parrage blah blah whatever how do u respond back
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by owee: 3:27pm On Apr 26, 2022
Male roommate wanted

Hello guys

Flatmate needed from May 1st in Saint John, New Brunswick (Uptown apartment, 9 minutes walk to MBA campus and close to most amenities)
One room is available and goes for $355/month plus utilities(excluding power and internet). This should be good for a student or new immigrant just landing and need a cost-effective place for the next 3 to 6 months (given the way prices of houses have consistently been on the rise).

Interested, hola(PM)!

(1) (2) (3) ... (205) (206) (207) (208) (209) (210) (211) ... (385) (Reply)

DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.