Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,460 members, 7,816,079 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:01 AM

Is Mary The Mother Of God? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Mary The Mother Of God? (18446 Views)

How A Nairalander Celebrated The Mother's Sunday / Prophetess Mary Olubori Twerks For Her Husband (Pics + Video) / Is Mary The Mother Of God? Is Mary The Theotokos (God-bearer)? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by MsFaith: 8:39pm On Jun 08, 2015
Good Catholics, Glory to Jesus!!!

2 Likes

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Barnabaseloka(m): 8:42pm On Jun 08, 2015
italo:

So Jesus was without spirit in the womb of Mary?

The Jesus who walked the streets of Israel was just body without spirit? (quote)
Spiritually means in the heavenly realm, Mary is not the mother of Jesus. It is only on earth that Mary is recognised as the mother of Jesus. Every human being has spirit and so did Jesus.

I remember.

Remember that Mary carried Jesus who is God in her womb, she gave birth to Jesus God, she breastfed Jesus - God...etc.

Do you remember?
Yes, I remember. But the Scriptures did noit tell us to call her mother. All it says is that all nations shall call you 'blessed' not 'mother' she will be call blessed b/c she gave birth to Jesus, the Saviour of the world. Is there any other interpretation you want to give this?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Nobody: 8:44pm On Jun 08, 2015
HopeAlive14:

You are correct. There is NO passage from the Scriptures where Jesus acknowledged Mary as the mother or called her "MOTHER".
You mean Mary is not the mother of Jesus? I dont know if this is ignorance or stupidity. Is it not written that Mary is the mother of Jesus? So you should address your mother as *mother* for her to become your mother even if she gave birth to you? Ridiculous.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Barnabaseloka(m): 8:49pm On Jun 08, 2015
Papist:

The correct translation for *woman* here is *Dear Lady*. I'm sure you always thought Jesus was disrespecting his mother here which is a shame on Protestantism because that would mean Jesus broke the fourth commandment.
The Scriptures recorded 'woman' and not 'dear lady' let us go with what is written and not what we think.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by segbe88: 8:55pm On Jun 08, 2015
HopeAlive14:

(1) The ONLY SINLESS Person ever to be on this Earth is Jesus Christ! Mary was not "made pure and sinless", she was favoured by God to carry Jesus!

(2) "Jesus became man when he was born". This means that Mary gave birth to the "man Jesus"

(3) You cannot deny Mary being the "mother of God". Since Jesus is God, this means that Mary is the mother of Trinity (Father, Son and Holy Ghost)

Like I said, its an article of faith.

Pray your thoughts are guided.

First the Trinity of God is a mystery beyond human imagination. If you want to understand it completely with your human brain, carry on. Mary is the Mother of God, That is fact. Understanding who God is another topic. Denying the Mother of God because you do not completely understand the mystery of three persons in one God is not proper.

Second I said Jesus was always God but not always man, that means Mary gave birth the Jesus as a God and as a man. Understanding how somebody can be God and man at same time should be your question.

Thirdly, God has the power to forgive sins and even the ones our forefathers committed whenever, whoever and wherever. Remember when the Pharisee were amazed at the power of Jesus to heal and even cleanse sin. Doubting the power and ominiscience of God is a big mistake. God can do all things. His ways are not ours.

The story of Jesus birth was foretold remember.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Barnabaseloka(m): 8:55pm On Jun 08, 2015
Papist:

Let me get this straight. Does your religion accept the incarnation? Or do you deny it like the Muslims?
Your post is not clear to me. The clearer it is, the more I understand you. P/s explain what you mean here before I give my answer. I do not believe in religion, but in Christ.

1 Like

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by segbe88: 9:02pm On Jun 08, 2015
Barnabaseloka:

Rom 3:23 For ALL (no exception) have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.
2Corinth:5:17 Therefore if ANYONE is in Christ, he is a new creation, old things have passed away, behold all things have become new.
It is ony in Christ Jesus that one becomes a new being (born again). Aside being in Christ, such a person is still under the power of sin and remains a sinner.

Mary believed in Jesus, and even received the Holy Spirit. That made her to be a child of God and freed her from the power of sin. At the point of believing in Jesus as her Lord and Saviour, she was made a new creation, not b/c she was about to give birth to Jesus.

Please Mary was foretold and prepared for her mission. She served in the temple. She appeared ordinary, but was the chosen one. Remember the Angel reported God found favour in her and she was blessed among all women... ALL women.

Mary's was filled with the Holy spirit and bore a son. Refer to your bible, Mary was filled with the Holy spirit to conceive. You said she was filled by the Holy spirit to be cleanse. Please read the scriptures well to confirm that.

Like I said, an article of faith, let us pray for guidance and only say what is in the bible not otherwise. Take your selves forward to the book of revelation and confirm where only the children of a woman would be saved. Please provide a woman who can fill that position if not the mother of God.

Kind regards

1 Like

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by HopeAlive14(m): 9:04pm On Jun 08, 2015
Scholar8200:
While on earth, someone even attempted to exalt Mary but was corrected:
Luke 11:27,28
27 Now it occurred that as He was saying these things, a certain woman in the crowd raised her voice and said to Him, Blessed (happy and [l]to be envied) is the womb that bore You and the breasts that You sucked!
28 But He said, Blessed (happy and [m]to be envied) rather are those who hear the Word of God and obey and practice it!

Sir Syncan, I think your response below to the above is odd.

Syncan:
Jesus could not have contradicted the Holy Spirit who spoke through the angel in Lk 1:42 "blessed are you among women". Jesus cannot contradict the Holy Spirit who spoke through Elizabeth in Lk 1:45 "and blessed is she who believed that there would be a fulfillment of what was spoken to her from the Lord". Jesus could not have contradicted the Holy Spirit who Spoke through Mary Lk 1:48 "henceforth all generations shall call me blessed". Think.

Yes, Jesus could not have contradicted the Holy Spirit. So He didn't make the statement in Luke 11:27,28?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Barnabaseloka(m): 9:06pm On Jun 08, 2015
Papist:

You mean Mary is not the mother of Jesus? I dont know if this is ignorance or stupidity. Is it not written that Mary is the mother of Jesus? So you should address your mother as *mother* for her to become your mother even if she gave birth to you? Ridiculous.
Actually you don't need to address your mum as 'mother' for her to become your mother. I believe that Jesus called Mary 'mother' when He was under her care (though not written in the Scriptures). But during His ministry, He always referred to her as 'woman'. The motherly role of Mary to Jesus ended when Jesus started His ministry. Jesus did not obey her at any point in time, but only does what His Father, who sent Him, told Him to do. Or do you want to tell me that Mary's motherly role is still manifest in the life of Jesus, who is in heaven, today? Whenever we mention the earthly birth of Jesus, Mary was undoubtly the mother.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Barnabaseloka(m): 9:12pm On Jun 08, 2015
segbe88:

First the Trinity of God is a mystery beyond human imagination. If you want to understand it completely with your human brain, carry on. Mary is the Mother of God, That is fact. Understanding who God is another topic. Denying the Mother of God because you do not completely understand the mystery of three persons in one God is not proper.

Second I said Jesus was always God but not always man, that means Mary gave birth the Jesus as a God and as a man. Understanding how somebody can be God and man at same time should be your question.

Thirdly, God has the power to forgive sins and even the ones our forefathers committed whenever, whoever and wherever. Remember when the Pharisee were amazed at the power of Jesus to heal and even cleanse sin. Doubting the power and ominiscience of God is a big mistake. God can do all things. His ways are not ours.

Yes, Jesus has the power to forgive sin when He was on earth. When He died and resurrected, sins of men are NOW forgiven them ONLY if they come to Christ. Outside Christ, such a person remains under the power of sin and is still a sinner. I hope you don't want to make us believe that Mary was made sinless by God b/c she was about carrying Jesus in her womb? If it is what you want to make us believe, give scriptural backing.

1 Like

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Barnabaseloka(m): 9:16pm On Jun 08, 2015
segbe88:

Yes, Jesus had the power to forgive sin when He was on earth. But when He died and resurrected, sins of men are NOW forgiven the only when the come to Jesus. Outside Jesus, such a person remains under the power of sin and still is a sinner. I hope you don't want to make us believe that Mary was made sinless b/c she was to give birth to Jesus? If it is what you want us to believe, give scriptural backing to it.

1 Like

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by HopeAlive14(m): 9:17pm On Jun 08, 2015
MsFaith:
Good Catholics, Glory to Jesus!!!

No church is "good" sister.

On the judgment day, we will be judged individually and not by our church denominations.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by segbe88: 9:19pm On Jun 08, 2015
Barnabaseloka:

Yes, Jesus has the power to forgive sin when He was on earth. When He died and resurrected, sins of men are NOW forgiven them ONLY if they come to Christ. Outside Christ, such a person remains under the power of sin and is still a sinner. I hope uou don't want to make us believe that Mary was made sinless by God b/c she was about carring Jesus in her womb? If it is what you want to make us believe, give scriptural backing.

I dont want to make you believe Mary was made sinless.

I simply want to tell you Mary was made sinless to carry my God. A mystery beyond your imagination.

If you want to research articles on this, the catholic church has many articles on it online.

If you want understand that with human reason you are welcome.

I know, Mary the mother of God was conceived without sin simply because God desired it so.

Kind regards

1 Like

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Barnabaseloka(m): 9:23pm On Jun 08, 2015
segbe88:

Please Mary was foretold and prepared for her mission. She served in the temple. She appeared ordinary, but was the chosen one. Remember the Angel reported God found favour in her and she was blessed among all women... ALL women.

Mary's was filled with the Holy spirit and bore a son. Refer to your bible, Mary was filled with the Holy spirit to conceive. You said she was filled by the Holy spirit to be cleanse. Please read the scriptures well to confirm that.

Like I said, an article of faith, let us pray for guidance and only say what is in the bible not otherwise. Take your selves forward to the book of revelation and confirm where only the children of a woman would be saved. Please provide a woman who can fill that position if not the mother of God.

Kind regards
The Holy Spirit has not been poured upon all flesh at of the time of the birth of Jesus. The Holy Spirit came upon Mary to do the work of implanting Jesus into the womb.

I did not say that Mary was filled by the Holy Spirit to be cleansed. Go back and read my post. I said that when the Holy Spirit came upon the people, Mary also received the Holy Spirit.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by segbe88: 9:30pm On Jun 08, 2015
Barnabaseloka:

The Holy Spirit has not been poured upon all flesh at of the time of the birth of Jesus. The Holy Spirit came upon Mary to do the work of implanting Jesus into the womb.

I did not say that Mary was filled by the Holy Spirit to be cleansed. Go back and read my post. I said that when the Holy Spirit came upon the people, Mary also received the Holy Spirit.

Sorry If I misunderstood you, but I referred to this statement:

"Mary believed in Jesus, and even received the Holy Spirit. That made her to be a child of God and freed her from the power of sin."

as that made her sin free and a child of God.

Kind regards
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Barnabaseloka(m): 9:31pm On Jun 08, 2015
segbe88:

I dont want to make you believe Mary was made sinless.

I simply want to tell you Mary was made sinless to carry my God. A mystery beyond your imagination.

If you want to research articles on this, the catholic church has many articles on it online.

If you want understand that with human reason you are welcome.

I know, Mary the mother of God was conceived without sin simply because God desired it so.

Kind regards
I do not need researching anything so long as you have no scriptural backing to your claims. This is how we believe what we cannot explain with the bible in the name of mystery. Give me one passage from the scripture that said that Mary was made sinless to give birth to Jesus.
Rom.3:23 For ALL (no exemption) has sinned and come short of the glory of God.
Anyone who is not in Christ remains a sinner. This is the scriptural truth and not what men think.

1 Like

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Barnabaseloka(m): 9:38pm On Jun 08, 2015
segbe88:

Sorry If I misunderstood you, but I referred to this statement:

"Mary believed in Jesus, and even received the Holy Spirit. That made her to be a child of God and freed her from the power of sin."

as that made her sin free and a child of God.

Kind regards

Ok. John 1:12 But as man as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name. He still gives the power to anyone who believes in Him today.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by segbe88: 9:41pm On Jun 08, 2015
Barnabaseloka:

I do not need researching anything so long as you have no scriptural backing to your claims. This is how we believe what we cannot explain with the bible in the name of mystery. Give me one passage from the scripture that said that Mary was made sinless to give birth to Jesus.
Rom.3:23 For ALL (no exemption) has sinned and come short of the glory of God.
Anyone who is not in Christ remains a sinner. This is the scriptural truth and not what men think.

The catholic church does not base all its knowledge in the scriptures. THe bible you read and uphold today was compiled and given to you by the catholic church. Some books were dropped and some accepted. We base part of our knowledge on inspiration from God and tradition.

If you believe only in the thing written in the bible you are free. Remember the passage in the bible that says not all that happened was written. You want a biblical backing, the one that have been provided so far which have you affirmed as thruth.

All generations shall call her blessed, how many times have you called her blessed. How manytimes have you acclaimed her as full of grace. How many times have you acknowledge Her as blessed amongst women. DO that which you have first seen, if you do not want to do it, do not try to stop others doing so.

1 Like

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by MsFaith: 9:41pm On Jun 08, 2015
HopeAlive14:

No church is "good" sister.

On the judgment day, we will be judged individually and not by our church denominations.

The Catholic Church is good my brother, I don't know about other churches

1 Like

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by MsFaith: 9:43pm On Jun 08, 2015
segbe88:

The catholic church does not base all its knowledge in the scriptures. THe bible you read and uphold today was compiled and given to you by the catholic church. Some books were dropped and some accepted. We base part of our knowledge on inspiration from God and tradition.

If you believe only in the thing written in the bible you are free. Remember the passage in the bible that says not all that happened was written. You want a biblical backing, the one that have been provided so far which have you affirmed as thruth.

All generations shall call her blessed, how many times have you called her blessed. How manytimes have you acclaimed her as full of grace. How many times have you acknowledge Her as blessed amongst women. DO that which you have first seen, if you do not want to do it, do not try to stop others doing so.

Rightly said sir!
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by segbe88: 9:43pm On Jun 08, 2015
Barnabaseloka:

Ok. John 1:12 But as man as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name. He still gives the power to anyone who believes in Him today.

With this statement I presume you want to compare any one filled with the holy spirit to be equal to the Mother of God. Let us not try to mix context.

If you are trying to say so, I have no discussion with you.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Barnabaseloka(m): 10:00pm On Jun 08, 2015
segbe88:

Sorry that I do not need going into theology or history. The bible contains the complete compilation of everything God wants us to know, whether handed to us by the catholic church or not.
2 Tim.3:16-17
16. All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction in righteousness,
17. That the man of God may be COMPLETE thoroughly equipped for every goo work.
Therefore the bible you have is complete and more than enough to give you all the truth you need to know on anything. Any other story you get is secondary. If you cannot base your claims on the Scriptures, how shall we believe it as true and live by it?
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Barnabaseloka(m): 10:03pm On Jun 08, 2015
segbe88:

With this statement I presume you want to compare any one filled with the holy spirit to be equal to the Mother of God. Let us not try to mix context.

If you are trying to say so, I have no discussion with you.
Was Mary not filled with the Holy Spirit together with other believers? What made her different from other believers?
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by segbe88: 10:08pm On Jun 08, 2015
Barnabaseloka:

Was Mary not filled with the Holy Spirit together with other believers? What made her different from other believers?

Was that when the bible first said she was filled by the holy spirit?
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by HopeAlive14(m): 10:14pm On Jun 08, 2015
MsFaith:

The Catholic Church is good my brother, I don't know about other churches

So, what makes it good?
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Barnabaseloka(m): 10:17pm On Jun 08, 2015
segbe88:

Was that when the bible first said she was filled by the holy spirit?
Mary was filled with the Holy Spirit (overshadowing) so that Jesus would be implanted in her womb. Remember that the Holy Spirit had not been sent to dwell in humans permanently. He only came upon people and use them to achieve a task, and at the completion of such task, He left them. But during the pentecost was when the Holy Spirit was sent to live in children of God permanently. That was why Mary received the Holy Spirit during the time of pentecost.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by MsFaith: 10:20pm On Jun 08, 2015
HopeAlive14:

So, what makes it good?

God is good and He started the Catholic Church, that makes the Catholic Church also good...

2 Likes

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by segbe88: 10:23pm On Jun 08, 2015
Barnabaseloka:

Mary was filled with the Holy Spirit (overshadowing) so that Jesus would be implanted in her womb. Remember that the Holy Spirit had not been sent to dwell in humans permanently. He only came upon people and use them to achieve a task, and at the completion of such task, He left them. But during the pentecost was when the Holy Spirit was sent to live in children of God permanently. That was why Mary received the Holy Spirit during the time of pentecost.

Holy Spirit fills someone is the point. The purpose and gifts of the holy Spirit to that person is not for you to decide but for God. Mary was filled with the Holy Spirit so She can bear God. That was the mission of the Holy Spirit.

Assuming because everyone filled with the Holy Spirit is for same purpose, or same gift is not correct. Please understand the context of where the Holy Spirit filled someone. The gift the Holy Spirit decides to bestow is His doing not human thought.

1 Like

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Barnabaseloka(m): 10:28pm On Jun 08, 2015
MsFaith:

God is good and He started the Catholic Church, that makes the Catholic Church also good...
Yes catholic church is good. But know that God will not judge the name 'catholic church' or 'any other church' but only individuals under these organisations.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Barnabaseloka(m): 10:33pm On Jun 08, 2015
segbe88:

Holy Spirit fills someone is the point. The purpose and gifts of the holy Spirit to that person is not for you to decide but for God. Mary was filled with the Holy Spirit so She can bear God. That was the mission of the Holy Spirit.

Assuming because everyone filled with the Holy Spirit is for same purpose, or same gift is not correct. Please understand the context of where the Holy Spirit filled someone. The gift the Holy Spirit decides to bestow is His doing not human thought.

What are you driving at? We are talking about Mary and the Holy Spirit filling her so that she can conceive. Then when she believed in Jesus, she received the Holy Spirit as other believers did and still do today. So where does gift from the Holy Spirit come into this?
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by MsFaith: 10:35pm On Jun 08, 2015
Barnabaseloka:

Yes catholic church is good. But know that God will not judge the name 'catholic church' or 'any other church' but only individuals under these organisations.

And so if you know God will judge only individuals under these organisations, why don't you leave them and let God be their JUDGE ?

Why are you judging them already on behalf of God?

1 Like

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by segbe88: 10:39pm On Jun 08, 2015
Barnabaseloka:

What are you driving at? We are talking about Mary and the Holy Spirit filling her so that she can conceive. Then when she believed in Jesus, she received the Holy Spirit as other believers did and still do today. So where does gift from the Holy Spirit come into this?

We are talking about the gift to be the Mother of God, a privilege given to her by God, to be blessed among women, is that not a divine gift?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Same-Sex Marriage: Catholic Teaching Doesn’t Change – Bishops / Church Members Of Lagos Pastor Held For Drug Trafficking Disappear / Informing Your Pastor Before Your Fiancee Is It Ok?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.