Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,081 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:10 AM

Is Mary The Mother Of God? - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Mary The Mother Of God? (18448 Views)

How A Nairalander Celebrated The Mother's Sunday / Prophetess Mary Olubori Twerks For Her Husband (Pics + Video) / Is Mary The Mother Of God? Is Mary The Theotokos (God-bearer)? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Syncan(m): 11:01am On Jun 09, 2015
Barnabaseloka:

It is an undisputed fact that Mary was (not is) the mother of God. The word 'is' means that she still acts as the mother today, which is not true. It has passed so use the word 'was'. When we want to talk about Mary being the mother of Jesus,, with reference to His birth, we have to say 'Mary was the mother of Jesus'. And do not put it as if she still plays any role as the mother in His life today.

Chai...So Jesus could still be addressed as "Son of David" even generations after David was gone, but Mary's motherhood over Jesus expires, Ok. If you get biblical reference, abeg support am, i don de tire.

1 Like

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Barnabaseloka(m): 11:12am On Jun 09, 2015
Syncan:

At bold, hence according to you, calling Mary "blessed" is an important thing, but not more important than doing the will of God (which includes calling Mary blessed). Ok then, thankfully Jesus has something to say about such situations thus:"These you ought to have done, without neglecting the others".Matt. 23:23. Are you doing that?

Luke 11:27-28
27. And it happened, as He spoke these things, that a certain woman from the crowd raised her voice and said to Him, Blessed is the womb that bore You, and the breasts which nursed You.
28. But He said, MORE THAN THAT,blessed are those who hear the word of God and keep it. (KJV)
28. But Jesus answered, RATHER, how happy are those who hear the word of God and obey it. (GB)
know that it was Mary that said that all the nations shall call her blessed, not the angel (Luke 1:48). People will call her blessed b/c Luke 1:49-55. To call sb 'blessed' does not mean you have to attach it as a title to the name of the person whenever you want to call such name. Yes I call her 'blessed' whenever I want to speak about the birth of Jesus, but not just as a title I attach to the name.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by dolphinheart(m): 11:15am On Jun 09, 2015
Barnabaseloka:

So where do you stand?

I dnt believe the "Mary, mother of God " doctrine/belief/teachings .
I found it contrary to what the bible teaches and an afterthought in the protection of the false doctrine of trinity.

Mary was told who she was going to give birth to in plain, simple, easy to understand, non mysterious terms and she was not told she will give birth to God.

Someone referred to "the woman " in Gen 3:15 as Mary . I asked who " the woman" in the immediate next verse is . Still no answer

1 Like

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Barnabaseloka(m): 11:25am On Jun 09, 2015
italo:

You don't know who compiled it and you are using it as an authority on Christian matters. What if it was compiled by devil worshippers who included some deceptive verses and excluded important ones?

The Catholic Church compiled the Bible in the fourth century. It used the same authority, tradition and spiritual insight it has to do the following:

1. Declare Mary the Mother of God.
2. Decide which books are scripture and which aren't.
3. Declare the Canon of scripture closed.
Etc.

If they erred, and Mary is not the mother of God, then they could have also erred, and maybe Revelations or Luke or Matthew is not scripture.

And perhaps canon of scripture is still open so the Holy spirit could inspire me or you or Pope or Pastor TB Joshua to write scripture.

I say they didn't/cannot err in teachings of faith and morals.

What do you say?
Never will the devil worshippers compile the bible and go ahead to tell us to live godly lives and make heaven. A nation that is divided will fall. That I said I have not done research on this does not mean that the Holy Spirit does not bear witness that what are compiled are what we should hold onto. When we go astray, the Holy Spirit makes it clear to us through the same compiled scriptures that we have erred. As long as the words I have in the bible I hold gives the same understanding / meaning / interpretation to the one you hold, that is the final stop.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by HopeAlive14(m): 11:34am On Jun 09, 2015
Syncan:
Its good you know that He could not have contradicted the Holy spirit. It's good you know the Holy Spirit Inspired those words I quoted. What is left for you is to find out what Jesus was teaching, He is a great teacher you know? Don't just say things that suggest that Jesus contradicted the Holy Spirit, just because you want to win an argument. Remember even atheists are reading this.

I am glad you know that Jesus cannot contradict the Holy Spirit.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Barnabaseloka(m): 11:38am On Jun 09, 2015
italo:

You don't know who compiled it and you are using it as an authority on Christian matters. What if it was compiled by devil worshippers who included some deceptive verses and excluded important ones?

The Catholic Church compiled the Bible in the fourth century. It used the same authority, tradition and spiritual insight it has to do the following:

1. Declare Mary the Mother of God.
2. Decide which books are scripture and which aren't.
3. Declare the Canon of scripture closed.
Etc.

If they erred, and Mary is not the mother of God, then they could have also erred, and maybe Revelations or Luke or Matthew is not scripture.

And perhaps canon of scripture is still open so the Holy spirit could inspire me or you or Pope or Pastor TB Joshua to write scripture.

I say they didn't/cannot err in teachings of faith and morals.

What do you say?
Never will the devil's worshippers compile the bible and go ahead to tell us how to obey God, live godly lives and make heaven at last. A nation divided cannot stand. That I said I have not done research on how the bible was compiled does not mean that the Holy Spirit bears no witness to us that the ones compiled are true. When we go astray, the Holy Spirit makes it clear through the same scompiled scriptures that we have erred. As long as the words I have in the bible i hold give the same understanding /meaning /interpretation to the one you hold, that is the final point.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by HopeAlive14(m): 11:45am On Jun 09, 2015
Papist:
You mean Mary is not the mother of Jesus? I dont know if this is ignorance or stupidity. Is it not written that Mary is the mother of Jesus? So you should address your mother as *mother* for her to become your mother even if she gave birth to you? Ridiculous.

No one is disputing that Mary is the mother of Jesus.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Barnabaseloka(m): 11:48am On Jun 09, 2015
Syncan:

Chai...So Jesus could still be addressed as "Son of David" even generations after David was gone, but Mary's motherhood over Jesus expires, Ok. If you get biblical reference, abeg support am, i don de tire.
One can address Jesus as the son of David with respect to Jesus coming from David's lineage. Apart from lineage, Jesus is not the son of David.
One can address Mary as the mother of Jesus with reference to the birth of Jesus. I said that her motherly role is no more existent, but when talking about the mother of Jesus on earth, you talk of Mary.

1 Like

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Barnabaseloka(m): 12:00pm On Jun 09, 2015
dolphinheart:

I dnt believe the "Mary, mother of God " doctrine/belief/teachings .
I found it contrary to what the bible teaches and an afterthought in the protection of the false doctrine of trinity.

Mary was told who she was going to give birth to in plain, simple, easy to understand, non mysterious terms and she was not told she will give birth to God.

Someone referred to "the woman " in Gen 3:15 as Mary . I asked who " the woman" in the immediate next verse is . Still no answer
Sorry for the mix-up. We are all learning from each other. The more we study the scriptures, the more enlightened we get. Actually, the woman talked about in Gen.3.15 was not Mary, but Eve. So do not get confused at such. Thanks for the enlightenment.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by HopeAlive14(m): 12:09pm On Jun 09, 2015
segbe88:
It is a pity you take the Mother of God to be with sin. The Mother of your God (Except Jesus is not your God).

There is no scripture to back this claim of yours. Mary, just like every other person conceived of human mechanism was born in sin. The only Sinless Person ever to be on this Earth is Jesus Christ.

1 Like

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Scholar8200(m): 12:22pm On Jun 09, 2015
Syncan:

keep denying truth. It is You that quoted Lk 11:27,28 "Now it occurred that as He was saying these things, a certain woman in the crowd raised her voice and said to Him, Blessed (happy and [l]to be envied) is the womb that bore You and the breasts that You sucked! But He said, Blessed (happy and [m]to be envied) rather are those who hear the Word of God and obey and practice it! What the woman did was call her blessed and You claimed Jesus corrected this woman from exalting Mary. Now I have shown you why you are wrong with several scriptural backing in the post you quoted, Lk1:42,45,48, where the Holy Spirit through different media has said she is and is to be called blessed. Now you are explaining what calling her blessed mean, are you not arguing with yourself? I told you to Think, now am going to add harden not your heart.
Alright Syncan, who would you say is the author of the epistle to the Ephesians?
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Ubenedictus(m): 1:21pm On Jun 09, 2015
Syncan:

Please take a look at the bold and take a look at the title of the thread, then tell me what you're arguing about.

this should have ended the debate.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Ubenedictus(m): 1:23pm On Jun 09, 2015
Syncan:

First I never said the bold. Secondly, the one in red is mere fabrications. Thirdly, tell me you've never been reluctant about your mother's request and still did it for her. Even Jesus gave the parable of a man who sent his sons to farm. One said I will go, but did not. One said he wasn't going and later went. Did you remember the question of Jesus? He said "Who among the two did the father's will"? Matt 21:31. It is the mother's request, it matters not if he hesitated or not, he still did the mother's will.

gbam!
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Ubenedictus(m): 1:26pm On Jun 09, 2015
HopeAlive14:

There is no scripture to back this claim of yours. Mary, just like every other person conceived of human mechanism was born in sin. The only Sinless Person ever to be on this Earth is Jesus Christ.

this is a discussion for another day.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Scholar8200(m): 1:33pm On Jun 09, 2015
I appreciate your smileys! Shows the right attitude to the discussion!
italo:

Matt 2:13 When they had gone, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream. “Get up,” he said, “take the child and his mother and escape to Egypt

So do you now agree that Mary is the mother of Jesus who is God?
Take the child was what was said bro! Pls read Philipians 2:6 - 8

6 Who, although being essentially one with God and in the form of God [[b]possessing the fullness of the attributes which make God God], did not [c]think this equality with God was a thing to be eagerly grasped [d]or retained,
7 But stripped Himself [of all privileges and [e]rightful dignity], so as to assume the guise of a servant (slave), in that He became like men and was born a human being.
8 And after He had appeared in human form, He abased and humbled Himself [still further] and carried His obedience to the extreme of death, even the death of the cross!

When the Word became flesh, He was stripped of all Privileges of Deity.

In the Jewish culture, a Davidic King would have his mother as Queen rather than his wife.

Almost every time a new king is introduced in 1 and 2 Kings, the king’s mother is mentioned. She was a member of the royal court, wore a crown, sat on a throne, and shared in the king’s reign (2 Kings 24:12, 15; Jer. 13:18–20). She acted as counselor to her son (Prov. 31), an advocate of the people, and as an intercessor for the citizens of the kingdom (1 Kings 2:17–20). Since Jesus is a King based on the order of David, it makes sense that His mother would be called Queen.
The highlighted is not in scripture! It never said He'll be King based on the order of David!
This does not apply to Jesus in any way. His kingdom was not an earthly one!
Did Solomon sit at the right hand of David? But David prophesied saying:
Psalm 110:1

The Lord said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand,
until I make thine enemies thy footstool.

Where is Mary here? It seems you people are sharing the Glory between Christ and Mary! from sinless conception, to redemption and intercessory office even to the Throne!

In 1 Kings 2:20, Solomon said to his Mother Bathsheba, seated on a throne at his right, "Make your request, Mother, for I will not refuse you
But see
Hebrews 7:25
25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.

Jesus does the intercession in Heaven , not Mary.

You choose not to find it in scripture because you have decided that the "called out ones" is the queen in heaven.

Ps 45:17 I will perpetuate your memory through all generations;
    therefore the nations will praise you for ever and ever.
Psalm 45:11 shows that the reference was one who was surrendered to the Lordship of Christ'

Psalm 45:11
so shall the king greatly desire thy beautysadwill this be said of a mother to her son!)
for he is thy Lord; and worship thou him.

This prophecy about the church used the imagery of how Ruth a moabite left her people and joined the people of God and how she became one of the ancestors of David. Mary did not need to leave her people!
The parable of the 10 virgins further shows how the Church (Bride of Christ) is considered.

Luke 1:48From now on all generations will call me blessed

Yes blessed for a one time, and not eternal, privilege of being used by God for His purpose. Just like Abraham is still regarded as blessed today!
Even Abraham who is expressedly called, in scripture, the father of those that believe is not thus adored!

Was it also the "called out ones" that spoke the above words in Luke 1? smiley
Called out ones is a translation of the word ekklesia meaning Church.

You have decided that Israel is the one that carried Jesus in the womb and bore him.
Not my decision! Or have you also decided that Mary was given the wings of an eagle with which she fled to the wilderness!? (Elijah's chariots of fire led to heaven you know!)The book of Revelations uses these symbols in some places.

When the same Sun, moon and stars bowed to Joseph, was Joseph 'The nation of Israel?' smiley
If you read the chapter and verse, you will see the time that the woman (Israel) will spend in the wilderness as confirmed by the length of the tribulation as shown in Daniel and Revelations viz 3 1/2 years. This surely has nothing to do with Mary but everything to do with the Israelites during the great tribulation!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by italo: 2:10pm On Jun 09, 2015
Barnabaseloka:

Never will the devil's worshippers compile the bible and go ahead to tell us how to obey God, live godly lives and make heaven at last. A nation divided cannot stand. That I said I have not done research on how the bible was compiled does not mean that the Holy Spirit bears no witness to us that the ones compiled are true. When we go astray, the Holy Spirit makes it clear through the same scompiled scriptures that we have erred. As long as the words I have in the bible i hold give the same understanding /meaning /interpretation to the one you hold, that is the final point.

So the Catholic Church that compiled the Bible is God's Church.

Can God's Church teach error?
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by italo: 2:17pm On Jun 09, 2015
Scholar8200:
I appreciate your smileys! Shows the right attitude to the discussion! Take the child was what was said bro! Pls read Philipians 2:6 - 8

6 Who, although being essentially one with God and in the form of God [[b]possessing the fullness of the attributes which make God God], did not [c]think this equality with God was a thing to be eagerly grasped [d]or retained,
7 But stripped Himself [of all privileges and [e]rightful dignity], so as to assume the guise of a servant (slave), in that He became like men and was born a human being.
8 And after He had appeared in human form, He abased and humbled Himself [still further] and carried His obedience to the extreme of death, even the death of the cross!

When the Word became flesh, He was stripped of all Privileges of Deity.

The highlighted is not in scripture! It never said He'll be King based on the order of David!
This does not apply to Jesus in any way. His kingdom was not an earthly one!
Did Solomon sit at the right hand of David? But David prophesied saying:
Psalm 110:1

The Lord said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand,
until I make thine enemies thy footstool.

Where is Mary here? It seems you people are sharing the Glory between Christ and Mary! from sinless conception, to redemption and intercessory office even to the Throne!

But see
Hebrews 7:25
25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.

Jesus does the intercession in Heaven , not Mary.

Psalm 45:11 shows that the reference was one who was surrendered to the Lordship of Christ'

Psalm 45:11
so shall the king greatly desire thy beautysadwill this be said of a mother to her son!)
for he is thy Lord; and worship thou him.

This prophecy about the church used the imagery of how Ruth a moabite left her people and joined the people of God and how she became one of the ancestors of David. Mary did not need to leave her people!
The parable of the 10 virgins further shows how the Church (Bride of Christ) is considered.

Yes blessed for a one time, and not eternal, privilege of being used by God for His purpose. Just like Abraham is still regarded as blessed today!
Even Abraham who is expressedly called, in scripture, the father of those that believe is not thus adored!
Called out ones is a translation of the word ekklesia meaning Church.
Not my decision! Or have you also decided that Mary was given the wings of an eagle with which she fled to the wilderness!? (Elijah's chariots of fire led to heaven you know!)The book of Revelations uses these symbols in some places.
If you read the chapter and verse, you will see the time that the woman (Israel) will spend in the wilderness as confirmed by the length of the tribulation as shown in Daniel and Revelations viz 3 1/2 years. This surely has nothing to do with Mary but everything to do with the Israelites during the great tribulation!

Even after quoting the verse that says "take the child and his mother," you still lie openly and shamelessly.

How can any reasonable person discuss with you?

One question: In your protestant gatherings, do they pluck out the eyes and brains of the congregants?
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by italo: 2:26pm On Jun 09, 2015
Barnabaseloka:

I did not call the Holy Spirit a liar. I said that Mary's MOTHERLY ROLE ceased when Jesus started His ministry, in that He obeyed ONLY God. Everything Jesus did was as directed by God, through the Holy Spirit, and not by any human being. I did not say that Mary was not His mother.

So a mother's role is only in having the child obey her?

Your mother's role in your life is just to tell you what to do? shocked

She doesn't care for you, help you, support you,..your mother doesn't pray for you?

No wonder you are so confused.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Barnabaseloka(m): 2:28pm On Jun 09, 2015
italo:

There is a difference b/w compilation and writing that which is compiled. You are the one saying that it was the catholic church that compiled the bible. I never said so! All I said was that whether it was compiled by the catholic church or not, it means nothing. What matters is that one obeys that which has been compiled, though comparing scripture with scripture.
Yes God's church can teach error if it misquotes and misinterpretes the Scriptures.

1 Like

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Barnabaseloka(m): 2:38pm On Jun 09, 2015
italo:

She doesn't care for you, help you, support you,..your mother doesn't pray for you?

I am not confused. The motherly role does not consist only of your mother telling you what to do. The question in the last paragraph also shows motherly role. But my question is: Can you tell me one thing that Mary does today that shows she still plays her motherly role in the life of Jesus? Does she pray for Jesus, or care for Him, or provide for Him? Just provide your answer.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Scholar8200(m): 2:43pm On Jun 09, 2015
italo:

Even after quoting the verse that says "take the child and his mother," you still lie openly and shamelessly.

How can any reasonable person discuss with you?

One question: In your protestant gatherings, do they pluck out the eyes and brains of the congregants?
No need to get worked up, which lie is that?
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by HopeAlive14(m): 3:08pm On Jun 09, 2015
italo:

WHERE was it written that the Catholic Church compiled the Bible?

italo:

The ONLY Being who is error free is God.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by HopeAlive14(m): 3:23pm On Jun 09, 2015
Scholar8200:
It seems you people are sharing the Glory between Christ and Mary! from sinless conception, to redemption and intercessory office even to the Throne!

Jesus does the intercession in Heaven, not Mary.

Psalm 45:11 so shall the king greatly desire thy beautysadwill this be said of a mother to her son!) for he is thy Lord; and worship thou him.

God bless you, brother.

1 Like

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Scholar8200(m): 3:29pm On Jun 09, 2015
HopeAlive14:

God bless you, brother.
Glory to God, God bless you too!

1 Like

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by HopeAlive14(m): 3:43pm On Jun 09, 2015
italo:

Let's not equate the Almighty God with human beings.

My father is dead and buried. Is he still praying for me?

Mary is dead and buried. Is she still praying, supporting or caring for Jesus from the grave? Or any other person?

1 Like

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by italo: 3:55pm On Jun 09, 2015
Barnabaseloka:

There is a difference b/w compilation and writing that which is compiled. You are the one saying that it was the catholic church that compiled the bible. I never said so! All I said was that whether it was compiled by the catholic church or not, it means nothing. What matters is that one obeys that which has been compiled, though comparing scripture with scripture.
Yes God's church can teach error if it misquotes and misinterpretes the Scriptures.

If God's Church can teach error, then the scriptures can be erroneous, since it is God's Church that wrote and compiled it.

You continue to blaspheme!
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by italo: 3:59pm On Jun 09, 2015
HopeAlive14:

Let's not equate the Almighty God with human beings.

My father is dead and buried. Is he still praying for me?

Mary is dead and buried. Is she still praying, supporting or caring for Jesus from the grave? Or any other person?

Jesus said Mary is alive.

You limited motherly role to telling a child what to do.

Do you still insist on that fallacy?
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by HopeAlive14(m): 4:22pm On Jun 09, 2015
italo:
Jesus said Mary is alive.

Scripture reference please.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by italo: 4:33pm On Jun 09, 2015
HopeAlive14:

WHERE was it written that the Catholic Church compiled the Bible?

Ntcanon.org

It is ignorance that makes you say what you're saying.
HopeAlive14:

The ONLY Being who is error free is God.

So St. Luke could teach error? smiley
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by italo: 4:34pm On Jun 09, 2015
HopeAlive14:

Scripture reference please.

John 11:26.

It is ignorance that makes you say what you're saying.

You still haven't said if you insist on the fallacy that motherly role is limited to instructing a child.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by italo: 4:39pm On Jun 09, 2015
Scholar8200:
No need to get worked up, which lie is that?

I appreciate your smileys! Shows the right attitude to the discussion! Take the child was what was said bro! Pls read Philipians 2:6 - 8
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by HopeAlive14(m): 4:49pm On Jun 09, 2015
italo:
If God's Church can teach error, then the scriptures can be erroneous, since it is God's Church that wrote and compiled it.

You continue to blaspheme!

"God's Church" led by the Spirit of God, that wrote and compiled Scripture did not do it in error.

But a "God's Church" being humans, and without help from the Holy Spirit, can teach Scipture in error.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Same-Sex Marriage: Catholic Teaching Doesn’t Change – Bishops / Church Members Of Lagos Pastor Held For Drug Trafficking Disappear / Informing Your Pastor Before Your Fiancee Is It Ok?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.