Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,451 members, 7,816,050 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:02 AM

Is Mary The Mother Of God? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Mary The Mother Of God? (18440 Views)

How A Nairalander Celebrated The Mother's Sunday / Prophetess Mary Olubori Twerks For Her Husband (Pics + Video) / Is Mary The Mother Of God? Is Mary The Theotokos (God-bearer)? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by HopeAlive14(m): 10:42pm On Jun 08, 2015
segbe88:
The catholic church does not base all its knowledge in the scriptures...
We base part of our knowledge on inspiration from God and tradition....

There is so much confusion in the christendom today due to strange doctrines.

Jesus speaking in Mark 7:13 "And so you cancel the word of God in order to hand down your own tradition. And this is only one example among many others."(NIV)

Any doctrine or tradition that is not based on Scripture, no matter how good it appears or sounds is unprofitable and should be discarded.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Barnabaseloka(m): 10:43pm On Jun 08, 2015
MsFaith:

And so if you know God will judge only individuals under these organisations, why don't you leave them and let God be their JUDGE ?

Why are you judging them already on behalf of God?
Honestly I have not judged any one. All I have brought out here is what is written in the Scriptures. When you debate a matter, it does not mean you have judged the other person by showing him/her what the Scriptures say. When you show someone what the bible says about a thing, have you judged the person? Naturally,if you tell sb that is wrong the right thing to do, is it judgement? Only God is the judge, yet if someone does not speak in line with the Scriptures, we are meant to correct the person in love using the Scriptures.

1 Like

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by segbe88: 10:44pm On Jun 08, 2015
MsFaith:

And so if you know God will judge only individuals under these organisations, why don't you leave them and let God be their JUDGE ?

Why are you judging them already on behalf of God?

The purpose of religion is to direct one to God.

True religion directs one to the one and only true God.

good religion directs one to the one and only good God.

Its a light to shine and guide people, If one is i guided or taught the wrong thing God will also judge the teachers for misleading, how if one decides not to follow the light shown to him/her, God will be their judge not human.

1 Like

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Barnabaseloka(m): 10:48pm On Jun 08, 2015
segbe88:

We are talking about the gift to be the Mother of God, a privilege given to her by God, to be blessed among women, is that not a divine gift?
it was not a gift, but a privilege and favour done to her. Stop attaching unnecessary meaning to what the Scriptures did not say. When we want to talk about gifts from the Holy Spirit, it is anothe r thing altogether.

1 Like

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by MsFaith: 10:51pm On Jun 08, 2015
segbe88:

The purpose of religion is to direct one to God.

True religion directs one to the one and only true God.

good religion directs one to the one and only good God.

Its a light to shine and guide people, If one is i guided or taught the wrong thing God will also judge the teachers for misleading, how if one decides not to follow the light shown to him/her, God will be their judge not human.

Ok. So what is the light shown here? Cus I can't see any only arguments
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by segbe88: 10:54pm On Jun 08, 2015
Barnabaseloka:

it was not a gift, but a privilege and favour done to her. Stop attaching unnecessary meaning to what the Scriptures did not say. When we want to talk about gifts from the Holy Spirit, it is anothe r thing altogether.

A gift or a present is an item given to someone without the expectation of payment.

A favour give someone something out of good will, generoousity of kindness.

Please I dont know how you want to put it, the favour came or gift came from God. She became mother of God. God prepared her for that purpose.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Barnabaseloka(m): 11:03pm On Jun 08, 2015
segbe88:

A gift or a present is an item given to someone without the expectation of payment.

A favour give someone something out of good will, generoousity of kindness.

Please I dont know how you want to put it, the favour came or gift came from God. She became mother of God. God prepared her for that purpose.
Yes you are right. The favour came as a gift (Jesus), though what you talked about was the gift for Mary to become the mother of God. That got me a little bit confused. We also know that there are gifts that come from the Holy Spirit, given to believers. But, how did God prepare her for that purpose?
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by segbe88: 11:03pm On Jun 08, 2015
MsFaith:

Ok. So what is the light shown here? Cus I can't see any only arguments

Exactly my point, If Barnabaseloka feels the catholic church is teaching the wrong thing because he does not see a reference in the bible he should at least confront the teachers and tell them these are his reasons for thinking so, hear their thought before countering them.

You can not tag a teaching as wrong when you do not know where it is coming from or simply because you only know yours. The bible in itself is written in different context, understanding a passage or text goes with understanding the context its being used. is only trying to refute ur points without evening trying to understand your points.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by segbe88: 11:04pm On Jun 08, 2015
Barnabaseloka:

Yes you are right. The favour came as a gift (Jesus). We also know that there are gifts that come from the Holy Spirit, given to believers. But, how did God prepare her for that purpose?

To be without sin
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by HopeAlive14(m): 11:10pm On Jun 08, 2015
MsFaith:

God is good and He started the Catholic Church, that makes the Catholic Church also good...

There is this story about a "presbyteran" preacher who died and went to heaven.

In heaven he asked to see the presbyterans there. "I am sorry" an angel answered him, "there are no presbyterans here"

"I want to see the Anglicans here" he said. "No Anglicans here, sir" the angel answered him.

"I want to see the Catholics here", he further demanded. "No catholics here, sir" the angel answered.

"Where are the Pentecostals here?" he asked the angel. "No Pentecostals here, sir" the angel replied.

Exasperated and confused, he asked "then who do you have here? Nobody?"

"We only have CHRISTIANS here, sir" the angel replied him.

So ultimately my dear sister and brethren, it is not going to be about who is a Methodist, Lutheran or Catholic, but who is a Christian.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Barnabaseloka(m): 11:10pm On Jun 08, 2015
segbe88:

To be without sin
Any scriptural backup to your claims? If we believe that the Scriptures are the ultimate and the foundation to our belief, why can't we back what we say using them?
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by segbe88: 11:14pm On Jun 08, 2015
HopeAlive14:

Jesus speaking in Mark 7:13 "And so you cancel the word of God in order to hand down your own tradition. And this is only one example among many others."(NIV)

Any doctrine or tradition that is not based on Scripture, no matter how good it appears or sounds is unprofitable and should be discarded.

The ones in the scriptures that were discarded by the King James Bible version have you reviewed it or asked why a bible portion should be discarded.

The complete scriptures, do you think you can carry it about as a pocket bible. The scriptures that were written after the death of Christ why should we uphold them as scriptures.

We uphold them so because the come from inspired saints. Do you have a yardstick to judge a Godly inspired work.

Have you not read about way of life of the early Christains, that is the tradition we talk of. Research deep into the lives of the early Christian and judge for yourself if you are on that path
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by segbe88: 11:19pm On Jun 08, 2015
Barnabaseloka:

Any scriptural backup to your claims? If we believe that the Scriptures are the ultimate and the foundation to our belief, why can't we back what we say using them?

I have told you earlier all our knowledge does not come from the scripture, you can scroll up to check that.

I have asked you to research, you said because it is not in the scripture. When you research you will be amazed, but you dont want to go on that quest I guess.

Foundation you talk of, who laid that foundation for you, who brought the scriptures together. My brother, the word of God is clear, not all those read understand, understanding and wisdom is given to His people.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Barnabaseloka(m): 11:20pm On Jun 08, 2015
segbe88:

Exactly my point, If Barnabaseloka feels the catholic church is teaching the wrong thing because he does not see a reference in the bible he should at least confront the teachers and tell them these are his reasons for thinking so, hear their thought before countering them.

You can not tag a teaching as wrong when you do not know where it is coming from or simply because you only know yours. The bible in itself is written in different context, understanding a passage or text goes with understanding the context its being used. is only trying to refute ur points without evening trying to understand your points.
I hope you believe that the bible is the reference point for any christian? Any other thing we hear or get must come under the scrutiny of the Scriptures. If I say a wrong thing, do you need to see my teachers in order to correct me? It is your duty to correct me instantly. So also if any christian hears another christian say anything that has no reference to the Scriptures, he/she should correct the erring one using the Scriptures in love. He does not need to get to the teachers of such erring christian to correct him/her.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by segbe88: 11:21pm On Jun 08, 2015
segbe88:

I have told you earlier all our knowledge does not come from the scripture, you can scroll up to check that.

I have asked you to research, you said because it is not in the scripture. When you research you will be amazed, but you dont want to go on that quest I guess.

Foundation you talk of, who laid that foundation for you, who brought the scriptures together. My brother, the word of God is clear, not all those read understand, understanding and wisdom is given to His people.

It is a pity you take the Mother of God to be with sin. The Mother of your God (Except Jesus is not your God).
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by segbe88: 11:26pm On Jun 08, 2015
Barnabaseloka:

I hope you believe that the bible is the reference point for any christian? Any other thing we hear or get must come under the scrutiny of the Scriptures. If I say a wrong thing, do you need to see my teachers in order to correct me? It is your duty to correct me instantly. So also if any christian hears another christian say anything that has no reference to the Scriptures, he/she should correct the erring one using the Scriptures in love. He does not need to get to the teachers of such erring christian to correct him/her.

There is nothing we have said that the scripture has disapproved, the problem is that you want to see it state categorically in the scripture.

Then I say, Its a free world
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Barnabaseloka(m): 11:35pm On Jun 08, 2015
segbe88:

Do you believe that the Scriptures are complete and tells us everything we need to know about God? There were many events that took place in the world. But the Holy Spirit gave those that compiled the bible the inspiration to do so. They picked some and left some as the Holy Spirit led them. I say that the Scriptures serve as the reference point and foundation for any christian. Any other thing you hear or get must be checked with the truth in the Scriptures. This helps one to know when one is about to be deceived and going into falsehood. The Bible whether handed down to us by catholic church is complete and contains everything we need to know about God.
Deut.29:29 The secret things belong to the Lord, your God, but those things which are revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may do all the words of the law.
The ones compiled in the bible are the ones revealed to us to believe and hold on to, but not assumptions from men.

1 Like

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by HopeAlive14(m): 11:38pm On Jun 08, 2015
segbe88:
The ones in the scriptures that were discarded by the King James Bible version have you reviewed it or asked why a bible portion should be discarded.

The complete scriptures, do you think you can carry it about as a pocket bible. The scriptures that were written after the death of Christ why should we uphold them as scriptures.

We uphold them so because the come from inspired saints. Do you have a yardstick to judge a Godly inspired work.

Have you not read about way of life of the early Christains, that is the tradition we talk of. Research deep into the lives of the early Christian and judge for yourself if you are on that path

The Bible, from Genesis to Revelation is One Complete Inspired Book, my brother!

Granted, there are some writings that are not part of the canonized bible.

Therefore anyone drawing a story from these non canonized writings should make reference to them and not from the Canonized Scriptures.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by segbe88: 11:41pm On Jun 08, 2015
Barnabaseloka:

Do you believe that the Scriptures are complete and tells us everything we need to know about God? There were many events that took place in the world. But the Holy Spirit gave those that compiled the bible the inspiration to do so. They picked some and left some as the Holy Spirit led them. I say that the Scriptures serve as the reference point and foundation for any christian. Any other thing you hear or get must be checked with the truth in the Scriptures. This helps one to know when one is about to be deceived and going into falsehood. The Bible whether handed down to us by catholic church is complete and contains everything we need to know about God.
Deut.29:29 The secret things belong to the Lord, your God, but those things which are revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may do all the words of the law.
The ones compiled in the bible are the ones revealed to us to believe and hold on to, but not assumptions from men.

Who wrote the different scriptures and who compiled the bible.

Why where some dropped and some picked.

You believe in what you have, no doubt who dont question your faith. If you really question your faith, you will realise why Abraham's faith in God had noting to do with the bible.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Barnabaseloka(m): 11:43pm On Jun 08, 2015
segbe88:

How far have you gone through the bible in your possession to check if what you are taught are truth or falsehood? I believe that no one will fully understand everything written in the bible before Christ comes. This is b/c no one can fully understand God. The more you study the bible, the more enlightened you get. So, stop arguing whether the bible the other christian holds is complete or not. Make do with the one you have got.

1 Like

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by segbe88: 11:50pm On Jun 08, 2015
Barnabaseloka:

How far have you gone through the bible in your possession to check if what you are taught are truth or falsehood? I believe that no one will fully understand everything written in the bible before Christ comes. This is b/c no one can fully understand God. The more you study the bible, the more enlightened you get. So, stop arguing whether the bible the other christian holds is complete or not. Make do with the one you have got.

I do not argue with you. neither do I say the bible is complete or incomplete. The bible holds truth, misinterpretation of that truth is the problem. Inspiration from God and early Christian tradition can guide you on that truth. Early Christians wrote and compiled the scriptures, you have to be in the writer's mind to understand what is fully meant.

Understanding is a gift of the Holy Spirit. Good nyt and God bless
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Barnabaseloka(m): 11:59pm On Jun 08, 2015
segbe88:

It is a pity you take the Mother of God to be with sin. The Mother of your God (Except Jesus is not your God).
Give me a scriptural passage to your claims. All I know is that the angel said that the Holy Spirit would come upon Mary and the power of the Highest would overshadow her; therefore, also, that Holy One who was to be born would be called the Son of God. This is where the Scriptures stopped about the virgin birth and every interpretation should stop here. Any mystery spoken by anyone today must come under the light of what is known in the bible. What happened before Jesus entered Mary's womb remains a mystery to us and we should not base our belief in such mystery unless explained by the Scriptures.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by HopeAlive14(m): 11:59pm On Jun 08, 2015
segbe88:

I do not argue with you. neither do I say the bible is complete or incomplete. The bible holds truth, misinterpretation of that truth is the problem. Inspiration from God and early Christian tradition can guide you on that truth. Early Christians wrote and compiled the scriptures, you have to be in the writer's mind to understand what is fully meant.

Understanding is a gift of the Holy Spirit. Amen!

God bless you and do have a peaceful night rest.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Barnabaseloka(m): 12:03am On Jun 09, 2015
segbe88:

There is nothing we have said that the scripture has disapproved, the problem is that you want to see it state categorically in the scripture.

Then I say, Its a free world
Some things might not be emphatically or categorically stated in the Scriptures. Yet, you can use other passages of the Scriptures to explain them. But when doing so, do not contradict other passages. This is where I stand.

1 Like

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Barnabaseloka(m): 12:16am On Jun 09, 2015
segbe88:

Who wrote the different scriptures and who compiled the bible.

Why where some dropped and some picked.

You believe in what you have, no doubt who dont question your faith. If you really question your faith, you will realise why Abraham's faith in God had noting to do with the bible.
Do you expect the compilers to take everything that happened in the world into the bible? I said that the Holy Spirit gave them inspiration of the write-up to bring in and the one to leave out. Have you understood all that are written in the bible in your possession before talking of which one is complete and which one is not? Let us not deceive ourselves here. The bible you have contains everything you need to know about God and how God wants you to live your life. Obey all that are written in the one you have before talking of getting the complete one. What God requires is obedience to His words in that your bible and not in getting the complete bible.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Barnabaseloka(m): 12:20am On Jun 09, 2015
segbe88:

During the time of the early christians, the scriptures were not yet compiled. Now that the they are compiled, let us base our teachings and faith on the Scriptures. God bless you too and good night.

1 Like

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by btoks: 1:30am On Jun 09, 2015
Barnabaseloka:

Sorry that I do not need going into theology or history. The bible contains the complete compilation of everything God wants us to know, whether handed to us by the catholic church or not.
2 Tim.3:16-17
16. All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction in righteousness,
17. That the man of God may be COMPLETE thoroughly equipped for every goo work.
Therefore the bible you have is complete and more than enough to give you all the truth you need to know on anything. Any other story you get is secondary. If you cannot base your claims on the Scriptures, how shall we believe it as true and live by it?
I'm sorry but this doesn't prove sola scriptura . You're quoting out of context. Paul was only talking about the OT here and please read the context,he mentioned going back to those whom he had learned from (v14 But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it v15 and how from childhood.....)

Also,going by your logic all we need is steadfastness according to James 1:4 -And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

Looking further you'll find 2thess2:15 -So then, brothers, stand firm, and cling to the traditions that you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by our letter.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by italo: 6:52am On Jun 09, 2015
Barnabaseloka:

Yes I remember. Know that Jesus existed before but decided to come to the earth through Mary.
In heaven, is Mary still the mother of Jesus? B/c as it is written Jesus is seated at the right hand of the Father and the Holy Spirit is on earth and within us.

Jesus existed before Mary yet the Angel of the Lord called Mary his MOTHER.

Psalm 45:9 Kings' daughters were among thy honourable women: upon thy right hand did stand the queen in gold of Ophir.

12 A great sign appeared in heaven: a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet and a crown of twelve stars on her head.

It is also written that Mary stands at the right of Jesus...and she is queen in heaven.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by italo: 7:03am On Jun 09, 2015
Barnabaseloka:

During the time of the early christians, the scriptures were not yet compiled. Now that the they are compiled, let us base our teachings and faith on the Scriptures. God bless you too and good night.

Who compiled the Bible?

This is a question Segbe88 has asked which you dodged.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by italo: 7:36am On Jun 09, 2015
HopeAlive14:

Understand one thing, brother.

We don't have to "like" any church.

The church, whether Catholic, Methodist, Evangelical, Protestant or Pentecostal will NEVER take you to heaven.

But only those who do the will of God through His Grace in JESUS CHRIST.
[/b]

You're calling Jesus a liar by saying his time had come. Jesus said his time had not come.

That is the issue you are dodging.

He did the miracle at the request of his mother. I don't know why you protestants are ashamed of such an event.

Don't you do things at your mother's request?

2 Likes

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by italo: 7:48am On Jun 09, 2015
HopeAlive14:

True!
HopeAlive14:

Very true!

HopeAlive14:

This is an example of a person handing down his own tradition and cancelling the word of God, thereby bringing confusion to christendom.

The word of God says in 2Thess2:15: So then, brothers and sisters,[i] stand firm and hold fast to the traditions that you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by our letter.

Where does the word of God say: "Any doctrine or tradition that is not based on Scripture, no matter how good it appears or sounds is unprofitable and should be discarded?"

From whence do you bring such strange personal doctrine and confusion?

1 Like

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Barnabaseloka(m): 8:09am On Jun 09, 2015
btoks:
I'm sorry but this doesn't prove sola scriptura . You're quoting out of context. Paul was only talking about the OT here and please read the context,he mentioned going back to those whom he had learned from (v14 But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it v15 and how from childhood.....)

Also,going by your logic all we need is steadfastness according to James 1:4 -And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

Looking further you'll find 2thess2:15 -So then, brothers, stand firm, and cling to the traditions that you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by our letter.
Then, the early apostles said things as were directed by the Holy Spirit and told the believers to hold unto them so that they would not be deceived by false teachings or doctrines. Then, the words they spoke were not compiled together. But now, the words they spoke and the letters they wrote to believers have been compiled to make it easy for believers to read and understand. Any other teaching anywhere that is not based on the ones compiled in the bible as directed by the Holy Spirit need to be discarded.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

President Adama Barrow Hosts Apostle Suleman / Same-Sex Marriage: Catholic Teaching Doesn’t Change – Bishops / Church Members Of Lagos Pastor Held For Drug Trafficking Disappear

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.