Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,164,992 members, 7,859,547 topics. Date: Thursday, 13 June 2024 at 02:31 PM

Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] - Satellite TV Technology (37) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] (262966 Views)

Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 5 - The Final Part) / Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) / Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) ... (175) (Go Down)

Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by GeorgeD1(m): 1:08pm On Apr 22, 2009
@badaru,
It will be a pleasure to meet you in person. Just hala me when you arrive
so we can meet.

@toxnaija,
Like I said before, I think this nilesat signal wahala is due to reconfigurations
and re-alignment on the new atlantic bird 4A which replaced the original ab4.
Let's hope everything normalises within a short time.
MBC persia is among the packages on 12341V which along with 10758V are the
most impacted by this change with no signal at all.
CNN, showsports were up yesterday at this end although by 7pm it was indicating
'weak signal'. After 9pm, signal became normalised. I think you should still do some
tweaking on your installation because what you're experiencing may not all be due
to the changes at nilesat.

@olofofo,
What's the possiblity of getting echolink 3030 ir USB at your end? I'm thinking I may
need one.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by graciousme(f): 3:05pm On Apr 22, 2009
@all

after the heavy down pour last week,my nilesat just stopped working,i was not too bothered but after  2days i called my installer,i have been planing to change my lnb too so we discussed about that too i told him to change the lnb to fuji,he said prime focus is better than fuji,i asked questions and we agreed he should fix prime focus.lo and behold the prime focus is looking good.i had problems with some freqency befor now but i can get them now,i now get bbc,my showtime is 46-48%( on 1.8 ) ,am now ready for echo/starsat,or other juju that is availabe.
is there anyone in the house that has used the prime focus? pls let me know.thanks
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by obnelly: 3:15pm On Apr 22, 2009
gracious f your prime focus is not doing bad but my fuji picked bbc up to 52-54% now that weather is affecting us ,i think fuji is better. check your signal and compare with people on fuji lnbf.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by odilibe(m): 3:21pm On Apr 22, 2009
@GRACIOUSME
fuji is a prime focus lnb.
1.8m or 2.4m and
the rest of bigger
dishes are prime
focus dishes.
prime focus may
not be the trademark of that lnb.
please identify the particular name of the lnb
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by olofofo(m): 3:40pm On Apr 22, 2009
@george_d

holla me when you are ready.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by Nobody: 3:40pm On Apr 22, 2009
@ enigma/marshal/olofofo/george/nelly
, kindly tell me the professional courses pertaining to satellites. I think getting certified in that area is my next step. Am a telecommunications student rounding off in the next 8 weeks. I simply want to make a career out of my hobby. What ya think?
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by graciousme(f): 3:46pm On Apr 22, 2009
@ odilibe

what do i know?  the carton says prime focus,and prime focus is written on the lnb,just sent someone to check it out now,
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by olofofo(m): 3:47pm On Apr 22, 2009
@enitan

I heard you the first time, no need to shout, check this link  http://www.gvf.org/training/index.cfm?item=overview

@graciousme

compared to the fuji you used last, is it the same, shorter or longer?, did the installer cut it. is there a website on the pack what else can you tell us about the prime focus, and lastly, why are you calling an installer to change LNB for you? madam?
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by GeorgeD1(m): 4:20pm On Apr 22, 2009
@enitan,
grin you're kidding me right? professional satellite courses? not in nigeria, I think
but follow the link fofo gave you. It might help smiley

@olofofo,
why you dey question madam graciousme like that? you really expect her to climb
a ladder and begin changing lnb? grin

I'm calling you now concerning that stuff.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by toxnaija: 5:22pm On Apr 22, 2009
graciousme,
I tried getting you on phone but it seems you were asleep.I will try again tonight.Pls dont try to do any climbing.I hope you have gotten the name of the lnb.

all,
did you observe that jsc+1-4 was having problems at the weekend?

George-D,
what exactly do I need to tweak in the dish?I was able to drag out the weakest signal of CNN.I am being careful so that I dont scatter the whole allignment.I will like to know the exact problem?can you get the focal length of your dish measured?I want to compare it with mine.It is also another factor I want to consider with the welder.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by graciousme(f): 5:32pm On Apr 22, 2009
@olofofo

i guess those are the questions i should have asked before installing it,i hope i dint buy gbe wu da ni ?he dint do any cutting on it

cant install it myself for now,for reason best known to me and some other forum members, lol. i know where to get him if things go wrong,but i hope not.

@toxnaija

i will be expecting your call,and the name on the lnb is prime focus,hope i have not been guffed?
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by twinstaiye(m): 5:48pm On Apr 22, 2009
I will also give the prime focus lnb a trial tomorrow. The present lnb am using on my 2.4M dish is pauxis twin lnb and the signal is a little bit of a problem sometimes at night. If after the installation tomorrow, I will compare it with the existing pauxis lnb.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by BUTONEDAY(m): 7:19pm On Apr 22, 2009
@ Tox,
It is unethical to compare the focal length of dishes made from different moulds. The dish diameters can be exactly the same but the parabolic curves and depth may differ. You can calculate the focal length of your dish using the formula below.
Focal length = f
Depth = c
Diameter = D

f = ( D * D ) / ( 16 * c )

Measure the depth using a tight fishing line across the dish and a rule to measure depth c.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by toxnaija: 8:23pm On Apr 22, 2009
Butoneday,
I copy you.But what can I do about the dish?I used to pick showsports at 52/54% before the rains came but now,I struggle to achieve 46/48%.I have tried all I can but I am careful about scattering the allignment.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by GeorgeD1(m): 8:58pm On Apr 22, 2009
@toxnaija,
Adding to what BUTONEDAY said about focal lenghts, mine happens to be
105mm but I doubt if that will be of any real use to you. It is very important
though that you try and find out the actual one for your dish. It will make your tweaking
more perfect.
Looking back once again at my installation, one edge I had was having the dish
moulder as a part of my installation team. At a point when we were having difficulties
peaking the signal, he had to re-measure and adjust the focal lenght to the exact value.
Now, that is a little tricky since as you say that your dish was installed several years
back. Unless you wrote it down somewhere, chances are that you might have forgotten
the exact figure for your dish but if you're lucky to still have your moulder around, you
could go to him to help you out. If not, then I'm afraid you have to measure it physically
and calculate using the formula above. With a little bit of patience, I'm sure you will get
it right.

@BUTONEDAY,
Thanks for the formula. I doubt if I could have done better with the question.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by BUTONEDAY(m): 9:24pm On Apr 22, 2009
@ Tox,
Try the simple things first before attempting on the difficult ones. With the figures you stated above. If your lnb is well secured on the scalar ring and the tripods are firmly fixed to the dish, I think your lnb is still at it's focal point. Due to the strong wind, your dish may have moved side ways or downwards. Just mark the present position of the moving parts against the stationary member (pole). Try re-aligning your dish gradually as you watch the signal quality on the monitor. See if the signal quality will improve.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by pitodenz(m): 11:15pm On Apr 22, 2009
@ tox
my brother no bi only you dey suffer this nilesat wahala.Today as of after 7pm i was getting a very terrible signal level. MBC was breaking at 48/49% cnn,showsports where nowhere to be found BBC and fox movie signal where better than MBC by 2%. But show cinema T2010(Show magreb) was hitting 55%. All my effort to return the signal to former level prove abortive.I left the dish to this signal level looking forward to what may become of tommorrow afternoon.
@ George D
Bros if no bi your signal level result i for don surrender.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by olofofo(m): 11:44pm On Apr 22, 2009
@tox

what LNB type are you using. is it open? try peep inside for spider webs.also trying tightening the bolts that holds the dish to the neck as well as the bolts holding the jack, these are all things that can cause your signal to drop. Me i have learned the hard way with all these observations.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by obnelly: 12:20am On Apr 23, 2009
all ,i think a dish that is firmly installed need no wahalah like all this signal drops or something.even if the signal drops it will still pick up again without touching the dish set up.but if you have poor dish installation you will ever have poor signal and each day you need to work on your dish.till you get tired of the dish itself.

since the installation of my nilesat dish ,i have not change any settings on the dish because its firmly installed,wind we he go carry am is either from hurrican or tornado.

if you have signal reduction believe you me it will come up again its a matter of time.

some other factors i see can cause signal flunctuation is when you have a cloudy day.not necessarily rainfall this time around .

too much wind can cause signal break.
even light rainfall can cause reduction too,above all if you have good dish installation ,you stand a better chance if all these environmental factors affect your dish.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by GeorgeD1(m): 7:33am On Apr 23, 2009
@pito,
You may need to check your installation again. Examine those little, little things like
focal lenght, tilt, tripod lenght, etc. There is absolutely no reason why you should be
suffering like this - not with the size of your dish. As as yesterday night 9.30pm, I still
got CNN at btw 48% to 50% signal strenght on starsat.

@obnelly,
I agree with you on the installation aspect. I had to re-install my dish four times before
I finally tightened it up against wind and rain. I even got a welder to do a tripod at the
pole base as a final measure for rainstorm.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by jossybless(m): 8:29am On Apr 23, 2009
@ Badaru 1, how are you today and the family? Please I will call you later however need your assistance as regarding helping my Uncle wh resides in Ajah Lekki to install Nilesat he stays in Abuja, but the family lives in LAgos He has a Strong 4663X pls let me know you can send mail to me joadekunle@yhaoo.com
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by olofofo(m): 9:34am On Apr 23, 2009
@george_d

badarus is on his way to warri, he said you should try and call him, here's his no: 08066061677

@jossybless

Would you uncle happen to be an ijebu man who has a house in ijebu and used to stay in satellite town? one Engineer,
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by GeorgeD1(m): 11:17am On Apr 23, 2009
@olofofo,
Copy that. I will call him as as soon as I'm free.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by satcoper(m): 1:25pm On Apr 23, 2009
@ chuk
Please keep in mind that we all are small parts of the universal roadmap. The Almighty who took your brother may also bring in your life (maybe sooner) the change you've no idea. So let's pray and hope.
@all-about ab4A
I live in Mali(13N21, 5W00). I have a 1.80 pan dish with fuji-lnb. and i can say that i'm among those who benefit of this change of satellite. Before only frequencies with wide beam were easy for me.MBC PERSIA tp 12341 and euronews tp 10911 were available only early morning and late night. So when ab4 signal disappeared i'v just done a re-scan of my decoder and voila bingo! i got about 200 fta channels all with strong signal quality. mbc-persia and euronews are now ok. It seems the footprint has moved a little west. i've to add that here only fuji-lnb grants access to nilesat. This is my nilesat experience.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by GeorgeD1(m): 1:34pm On Apr 23, 2009
@satcoper.
That is rather a big surprise to most of us here in W/A. We thought those tps
were off air. Are you recieving OK Tv on 10758V too? Pls confirm and get back
to the house. thanks.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by jujukemist(m): 1:43pm On Apr 23, 2009
goerge D I agree with you ,nilesat is doing a lot of reconfiguring.BBC, FOXmovies are down uptill 12noon that I left home. CNN too.JSC1-4 is breaking eventhough my pauxis lnb is giving me 69%. For sometime now, nilesat has been fluctuatin. I suggest all tweaking especially in the South should be suspended untill we in the north signals otherwis.Sothat Southern setups should not be dealigned from their excellent positions cool
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by badaru1(m): 3:49pm On Apr 23, 2009
@George D

Am already in warri,hola me on 08066061677
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by audui(m): 4:34pm On Apr 23, 2009
Hello Great comrade's
Gratings, I have being off the Net for a while as I travelled home 4 a while to rest and escape the pressures of civilisation: Internet, Satellite Tv's, the hustle and bustle of the city and and the Technology industry, It was a very refreshing experience for me as I last went home about four years back. well that said, I also came home over the weekend to find that even Here in JOS I am experiencing the signal Drop in Nilesat transmission as described in the Thread's, though not as bad as my CNN for example which enjoyed a signal strength of 85 now gives b/w 55 and 65.
well I am tempted to realign my dish, would observe for the next two days though. Another problem is that my aljazeera sports channels are freezing even at signal strenght of 70. I thick the repachted the pacth in installed, as this freezing is only experienced on the chennels that was unlocked by the patch. Help needed plz as I not able watch current champion's league, premier and FA cup matches. Thanks as always. NB How do I enter showtime keys on my strong 4663 .
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by satcoper(m): 5:00pm On Apr 23, 2009
George_D:

@satcoper.
That is rather a big surprise to most of us here in W/A. We thought those tps
were off air. Are you recieving OK Tv on 10758V too? Pls confirm and get back
to the house. thanks.
@George_D
I'm receiving 10578V tp. It is not off air. It has the same signal quality as the others. I remember watchin programs on tele Chad, harmony tv , sahoor tv(it is the same tp) but for OK tv specially, i've to check. Tomorrow i'll let you know. I was plannin to purchase a 2m40 dish for nilesat but apparently it's no more necessary.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by toxnaija: 5:05pm On Apr 23, 2009
all,
with all these bad reports about Nilesat all over Nigeria,I think I would have to leave my 3m fibre dish the way it is.the parameters were okay when it was installed and realligned by Adewest in January.Definitely,the bulk of the problem is from the space I think.I use a fuji lnb,re-tightened all the nuts,washed off the dust on the dish surface,and checked the scalar.I was able to drag out Showsports only at night and early morning.even CNN came out for about one hour in the night.
Pls can anyone rescan and confirm for the reappearance of AB4a(MBC Persia,OK,Euronews) as reported by Satcoper from Mali.

graciousme,
I am really sorry that I slept off.I had a very tight schedule recording all over Lagos.I will call tonight.

Satcoper,
what size of dish,and type of lnb do u use?Do you pick showsport/cnn?regards.

Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by badaru1(m): 5:54pm On Apr 23, 2009
@All

You should not disturb yourselves about nile signal,it is general. If you log on to international forums every body is complaining. Even those at the extreme north that are using 1.8m are also complaining of showsport breaking in the evening.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by olofofo(m): 8:06pm On Apr 23, 2009
@tox

love that ya picture no be small. could not stop laughing! i think the scummies know now!

(1) (2) (3) ... (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) ... (175)

Strong Receivers Thread / Newbie In Satellite Installation: Introduce Yourself Here With Your Problems / Free to Air codes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.