Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,769 members, 7,831,475 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 07:18 PM

Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] - Satellite TV Technology (93) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] (261581 Views)

Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 5 - The Final Part) / Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) / Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) ... (175) (Go Down)

Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by GeorgeD1(m): 7:30pm On Jul 16, 2009
@BUTONEDAY,
I commenced rectification on my major dishes today. First port of call was the nilesat.
True to my suspicion, the thunder strike damaged the lnb and when I replaced it, green
jumped out. At the moment, I'm getting BBC World up to 58% quality. CNN is only flashing
occasionally but I guess it has to do with the weather. My starsat decoder was hit also
as well as my diseqc 1.2 positioner, so the losses pile up.
Next, I will face the COMSTAR dish and see what and what got damaged. Will keep you
posted on progress.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by pitodenz(m): 7:38pm On Jul 16, 2009
@ olofofo When looking for mpe4 receiver plz make sure they ve HDMI cable slot,blindscan and it can also be patched. Remember that the receiver got to be cheaper. @ all Daarsat has no customized receiver,they re using Kaon receiver which lack blind scan,but the receiver boost signal higher than strong X-series.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by FMarshal2(m): 9:12pm On Jul 16, 2009
toxnaija:

Dejsam,
I called my installer a few minutes ago to contact you.He has always been on the lookout for the splitter.How about the 3.5m assembled steel dish you said a guy was working on in Kano?Can I also get the frequency where Orbit is operating on on Nilesat?any development on ab4a channels that disappeared?

Lagos/Southern Nigeria members,
pls can anyone help look for a place where we can get cheap and good mpeg4 decoders.Enitan/Olofofo,I know both of u are really good in hunting for stuffs like that.We need to add it to our collections.Is it only Daarsat decoder that can pick its signals? [size=15pt]If no,do we need an HD lnb to pick HD signals?[/size]

all,
atlantic bird 3- ortb,Benin republic 4157 h 2600/Africa no 1 4163 h 1500 all on C-band.I will try the Channels feed on Intel 905 Enigma posted on Sunday.Is RTB still on Intel905.Cant pick the signal.I will try it again.
@ the highlighted:
Your regular LNB can & will receive MPEG 4 signals. Don't fall for the sale's pitch of some greedy vendors. Use the current LNB that you have, it will work. As I said earlier (in one of my previous posts) make sure you buy a decoder capable of decoding MPEG ,2 & 4:2.0, 4:2:2. Don't foget Blindscan is a must, but many of them don't have Blind scan feature. I hope this helps.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by chuk101(m): 10:02pm On Jul 16, 2009
Hi guys longtime no see, actually i am watching multi tv at the moment though with a daarsat decoder, however i have done a little research of my own and i think i have an idea of the receiver that has most of the features u mentioned and unlike the dstv HD decoder it does not have an internal hard disc for recording, below are its features

SRT 4900 MPEG-4 - PVR ready - CI - CONAX (Australasia Version)

• PVR Ready via USB or eSATA
External Mass Data Storage Device
• Time Shift, Record & Playback
• USB 2.0 Host for MP3 Playback,
JPEG Viewing & Firmware
Update
• Ethernet Port
• eSATA Interface
• Embedded CONAX CAS7
• 10,000 Programmable Channels
• Common Interface (2 Slots)
• DVB-S/S2, MPEG-2/4 H.264
Compliant
• 1080i / 720p / 576p / 576i Video
Formats
• HDMI Output
• Component Video: Y, Pb & Pr
Outputs
• RGB Outputs through SCART
• Dolby Digital Optical Output
• 16:9 Full Screen, 4:3 Letterbox
& Full Screen
• VFD Display
• Advanced Blind Scan
• Auto & Manual Channel Search
• Electronic Program Guide
• 16 Favorite Channel Groups
• Auto Voltage (AC 100 - 250V
~) SMPS

I dont really have an idea of the cost but i think it might be within the range of daarsat decoder which is abt 120 euros pls make more inquiries ,Thank you
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by niddle9(m): 4:45am On Jul 17, 2009
@Olason
roger that sir. will send it as soon as possible.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by salamander(m): 7:15am On Jul 17, 2009
spacevice:

@ALL
It seems everyone in here uses a STRONG decoder. Or is there anyone using GBS/GTV decoder, Cochip cdvb5668? How useless is that decoder?

I can get only 10 channels, all French.

What does it mean if u scroll to Sirius 4 on the GBS decoder and u see signal quality  between  24-28%? I was told the 10 French channels i'm receiving are on W3A. Why then do i get that signal on Sirius 4?

FTA forever!

@The GBS box is Irdeto encrypted, so all their channels are encrypted. The W3A channels are the only free channels in the box.

As you indicated, if you set your dish mid-point between Sirius4 and W3A, there is a possibility that you will get both birds. You cannot get Sirius or any other bird on the GBS box unless, someone comes up with a software that can decrypt it.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by Dejsam(m): 8:36am On Jul 17, 2009
toxnaija:

Dejsam,
I called my installer a few minutes ago to contact you.He has always been on the lookout for the splitter.How about the 3.5m assembled steel dish you said a guy was working on in Kano?Can I also get the frequency where Orbit is operating on on Nilesat?any development on ab4a channels that disappeared?

Lagos/Southern Nigeria members,
pls can anyone help look for a place where we can get cheap and good mpeg4 decoders.Enitan/Olofofo,I know both of u are really good in hunting for stuffs like that.We need to add it to our collections.Is it only Daarsat decoder that can pick its signals?If no,do we need an HD lnb to pick HD signals?

all,
atlantic bird 3- ortb,Benin republic 4157 h 2600/Africa no 1 4163 h 1500 all on C-band.I will try the Channels feed on Intel 905 Enigma posted on Sunday.Is RTB still on Intel905.Cant pick the signal.I will try it again.

@toxnija,
this is the frequency for orbit channels on nile

ORBIT IN NILE SAT WORK WITH SHOWTIME
Super Movies
BBC Prime
America Plus
Super Comedy
11859 V 27500

and on the 3.5m dish ,which is seperated in 5 plates,the cost is 60k.the dish is very good as can pick all tps on astra and hotbird then it picks other sats like:amos,sirius,eurobird,hispasat,all the different eutelsat available.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by BUTONEDAY(m): 9:32am On Jul 17, 2009
Dejsam:

@toxnija,

Super Movies
BBC Prime
America Plus
Super Comedy
11859 V 27500

and on the 3.5m dish ,which is seperated in 5 plates,the cost is 60k.the dish is very good as can pick all tps on astra and hotbird then it picks other sats like:amos,sirius,eurobird,hispasat,all the different eutelsat available.

Dejsam,
Have you tried the 3.5m dish in the south? You know say na north you dey O!
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by BUTONEDAY(m): 9:46am On Jul 17, 2009
George_D
In addition to the lightening arrestor that you plan to install, you can also install a good and working surge protector in your home. This unit can prevent high voltage from getting to your electrical equipment.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by Dejsam(m): 9:53am On Jul 17, 2009
Dejsam:

@toxnija,

Super Movies
BBC Prime
America Plus
Super Comedy
11859 V 27500

@butoneday,

thats just the issue at hand. i haven't tried it in the south.but nevetheless ,if the dish could give that in the north,then u should be able to get 75% of what its receivable with it in the south.thats what i belive sha,or what do u think?
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by twinstaiye(m): 11:09am On Jul 17, 2009
@Goerge_D
Sorry about the thunder. I knew it will affect electrical apparatus when you said you witness fire coming out of the socket, so I knew it will affect the receivers. I have been there before and of recent my echostar receiver was affected. . Please accept my sympathy. Even FTA has its own hazard too!!!
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by blexxonmak(m): 11:14am On Jul 17, 2009
@all. ESPN Plans August Footy Channel Launch

ESPN has announced it will launch a new channel next month to show the Premier League matches whose rights it bought following the collapse of pay-TV firm Setanta.

The US company purchased the rights for 46 live games when the British arm of Setanta went into administration a month ago.

From 3 August, the new channel will offer top-flight football alongside international sports and a wide-range of premium US sports previously provided on ESPN America, which will be integrated in the UK into the new channel.

It will be made available in both standard (SD) and high definition, making the UK-based channel the firm's first HD offering in Europe.

more
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by blexxonmak(m): 11:27am On Jul 17, 2009
@all. As part of the new arrangement, Sky News owner BSkyB will retail ESPN to both its residential and commercial customers.

ESPN will be available on a premium subscription basis to all Sky homes, which means all live Barclays Premier League matches will be available in HD to Sky homes.

Sky has confirmed that Sky Sports subscribers will be able to get ESPN for £9 per month while other Sky customers will be able to subscribe from £12 per month.

Sky Sports will produce its football games, but the coverage will use dedicated ESPN graphics and analysis.

The US broadcaster also plans to create original studio shows to support football and other sports coverage.

Lynne Frank of ESPN Europe said: "We hope football and sports fans will enjoy ESPN's compelling mix of Barclays Premier League football, international sports and the best of the US sports in both SD and HD."

Mike Darcey, Sky's chief operating officer, added: "Our agreement with ESPN to retail its portfolio of sports channels ensures that we have certainty of distribution of all live Premier League matches to Sky homes, and further adds to the high-quality sports content our customers can enjoy, both in standard- and high-definition.

"We are also delighted to provide support in the form of production, advertising sales and commercial retailing."

Source:SkyNews

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by GeorgeD1(m): 11:32am On Jul 17, 2009
@BUTONEDAY,
Thanks for the suggestion. I think a surge protector will be a good addition.

@oga twinstaiye,
Yes o! These hobbies have their downsides sometimes. My only joy is that
it didn't impact much on any other major electronics in the house apart from
those which are TV or Satellite related.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by Kungu(m): 11:35am On Jul 17, 2009
chuk101:

Hi guys longtime no see, actually i am watching multi tv at the moment though with a daarsat decoder, however i have done a little research of my own and i think i have an idea of the receiver that has most of the features u mentioned and unlike the dstv HD decoder it does not have an internal hard disc for recording, below are its features

SRT 4900 MPEG-4 - PVR ready - CI - CONAX (Australasia Version)

• PVR Ready via USB or eSATA
External Mass Data Storage Device
• Time Shift, Record & Playback
• USB 2.0 Host for MP3 Playback,
JPEG Viewing & Firmware
Update
• Ethernet Port
• eSATA Interface
• Embedded CONAX CAS7
• 10,000 Programmable Channels
• Common Interface (2 Slots)
• DVB-S/S2, MPEG-2/4 H.264
Compliant
• 1080i / 720p / 576p / 576i Video
Formats
• HDMI Output
• Component Video: Y, Pb & Pr
Outputs
• RGB Outputs through SCART
• Dolby Digital Optical Output
• 16:9 Full Screen, 4:3 Letterbox
& Full Screen
• VFD Display
• Advanced Blind Scan
• Auto & Manual Channel Search
• Electronic Program Guide
• 16 Favorite Channel Groups
• Auto Voltage (AC 100 - 250V
~) SMPS

I dont really have an idea of the cost but i think it might be within the range of daarsat decoder which is abt 120 euros pls make more inquiries ,Thank you

good afternoon all,

Hi my name is Kungu and i reside in Kenya and i am very inspired by the Nairaland forum.
I have a strong 4910 Hd receiver and would like to share my findings in your forum

For mpeg 4 i would advice you to go for Strong Srt 4910 Hd which comes with blind scan and a super sensitive tuner for fringe reception Plus lots of goodies.
You would be astonished that the are many channels moving to Mpeg 4 and Dvb s2 {Digital Video Broadcasting - Satellite - Second Generation (DVB-S2) is an enhanced specification to replace the DVB-S standard, developed in 2003 and ratified by ETSI (EN 302307) in March 2005. The development of DVB-S2 coincided with the introduction of HDTV and H.264 (MPEG-4 AVC) video codecs.
The system allows transmission of one or more MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 audio–video streams, using QPSK or 8PSK or 16/32APSK (amplitude and phase shift keying) modulation with concatenated encoding.
DVB-S2 is based on the DVB-S standard which is used for satellite broadcasting, and the DVB-DSNG standard, which is used by mobile units for sending external footage back to television stations. Two new key features which were added to DVB-S are:
VCM (Variable Coding and Modulation) which optimizes the transmission parameters for various users
Changing encoding parameters in real time (ACM, Adaptive Coding and Modulation)
The authors claim that the DVB-S2 performance gain over DVB-S is around 30%.
When the contribution of improvements in video compression is added, an (MPEG-4 AVC) HDTV service can now be delivered in the same capacity that supported an early DVB-S-MPEG-2 SDTV service only a decade before.

On intelsat 902 c band we have 2 kenya channels on Dvb s2 and another 17 channels from south africa under testing till end of July 2009
Frequency 3816 H { L }4213 which has 2 channels NTV and EATN [ kenyan channels }

Frequency 4026 H 9034
SABC 1
SABC 2
SABC 3
SABC ENTERTAINMENT
SABC SPORTS
SABC INTERNATIONAL
SABC EDUCATION
ETV
ETV CLASSIC

The strong Str 4910 http://www.strong-technologies.com/frmProdDetails.aspx?id=203 is sold at around 207$ in Dubai by The strong receiver agents.
The receiver is also a Digital Terrestrial receiver for DTT.   The Digital Terrestrial Television (DTTV or DTT) is an implementation of digital technology to provide a greater number of channels and/or better quality of picture and sound using aerial broadcasts to a conventional antenna (or aerial) instead of a satellite dish or cable connection.

The strong Srt 4900 receiver is equally a good Mpeg 4 receiver and i think the price would be around 150$. The only difference is it has no terrestrial tuner card in it.
The receivers are patchable and i get most of my software from eitherhttp://www.crosat.org/upload/index.php?&direction=0&order=mod&directory=Strong%20Receivers/Strong%20WIZKID%20Files/Strong%204%20Middle%20East
or
http://www.crosat.org/upload/index.php?&direction=0&order=mod&directory=Strong%20Receivers/Strong%20WIZKID%20Files/Strong%204%20Africa

With blind scan i belive you will be amazed by the DVB s2 channels in your air space.

BE blest all and continue inspiring all of us
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by olason(m): 1:19pm On Jul 17, 2009
George d, do u know y thunder has decided 2 visit ur system? when was d las time u took care of d gods? wel u ned 2 appeace d gods of Iron Sango, with 2 fat cows, 1 humax decoder, 1 4.5m dish. u can send it 2 me for onward delivery 2 Sango d god of thunder. bros al is wel.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by olason(m): 1:38pm On Jul 17, 2009
Oga badaru, if i tel George d wat the elements and d combination of bad belly people did to my almost ready motorised dish he wil pity me. Were do i start from? If not for d encouragement and unflinching support i got from u sir, I would have abandoned d whole thing. full report on how we eventualy succeded wil b published in my up coming book titled How we manovered d gods of fta. Book ur copies in advance oooo!
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by iykemann: 2:08pm On Jul 17, 2009
This is for those using 1.8m,i need your advise ,i have two 90cm dish and 1 65cm but i can't get what i want,i love good action movie (american)bt sirius4 and w3a can not give it to me,so my qeustion is can i get it with 1.8m dish?if yes will it be english speaking?
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by Dejsam(m): 2:51pm On Jul 17, 2009
iykemann:

This is for those using 1.8m,i need your advise ,i have two 90cm dish and 1 65cm but i can't get what i want,i love good action movie (american)bt sirius4 and w3a can not give it to me,so my qeustion is can i get it with 1.8m dish?if yes will it be english speaking?

@iykeman,

what is ur location.thats whats going to help us know the dish size u require for ur set up.with ur 90cm dish u can watch english movies on etv on intelsat 7/10 or pas 7/10

and if u are in lagos area.u can get a 2.4m ground mount dish to watch all 24 hrs english movie channels on nilesat.which includes channels like;

-mbc 2
-mbc 3
-mbc 4
-mbc action
-fox movies
-fox series
-dubai one
-city 7
-saudi 2

and so many other channels that show movies and soap opra's

i think this should help u out
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by williams85(m): 3:09pm On Jul 17, 2009
@Iykemann. Here is the setup of my own dish. Though i'm planning to add another one for pas7/10ku. I enjoy every it at any time

Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by isomadtech(m): 3:38pm On Jul 17, 2009
@all
please i just bought an echolink receiver EL-3030 CR plus usb. i need a link to the download of software upgrade. my echolink is showing card disabled at the card section of the tools in the menu section. please advice on what to do.
thanks.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by Jesude: 3:47pm On Jul 17, 2009
Comrade Iykemann

your location is very important be4 any assistance can be render in the house!!!!

please state ur location.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by odilibe(m): 4:02pm On Jul 17, 2009
@williams85
since you have up
to 1.8m pan dish
according to your
posted pics why
not motorise your dish in that
way you can,pick more satellites
by using both c band and ku band
lnb on the same
dish,
Instead of adding
another 90cm dish for pas/10-KU,
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by Dejsam(m): 6:06pm On Jul 17, 2009
@ all,

i think u all should note this good news comin to us.

http://www.digitalproductionme.com/article-1302-pay_tv_not_sustainable_in_the_middle_east_riordan/

http://www.digitalproductionme.com/article-1549-al_jazeera_sport_expansion_plans_revealed/

i think with time,we will not even bother ourself with this update issues with card and receivers because with the way things are going nile sat  will

come to be the best satellite tv when it comes to free to air.as almost all aspect of entertainment are being taking care of.like movies,sports,soap

opras,documentries,general entertainment and to make the whole thing worst abu dhabi has bought the right for premiership from next season

and are not willing to sell to showtime as they want to beam it for free to their citizens.u can imagine abu dhabi being the first to broadcast national

geographic channel for free to her citizens since the history of satellite tv broadcast.then it means good things are still coming to us.lets just keep

our arms

crossed and keep watching. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by eduzo(m): 7:02pm On Jul 17, 2009
olatiler
i do not have the my tv patch, if i had it i surely will make it available to anybody who wants it. I reckon you should be a touch more civil in the manner that you make your requests though.

iykemann
To reiterate i am still having some problems with getting the EAGLE to fly as it were. When i do you certainly will know.
eduzo
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by olofofo(m): 9:14pm On Jul 17, 2009
isomadtech:

@all
please i just bought an echolink receiver EL-3030 CR plus usb. i need a link to the download of software upgrade. my echolink is showing card disabled at the card section of the tools in the menu section. please advice on what to do.
thanks.

Press Menu button and then 2020 to enable your smart card. it is always disabled by default.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by adewest(m): 9:27pm On Jul 17, 2009
@ twinstaiye, i was at ur doormain for 3 days called ur line and through out no connection.am now back to base.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by GeorgeD1(m): 9:38pm On Jul 17, 2009
olason:

George d, do u know y thunder has decided 2 visit ur system? when was d las time u took care of d gods? wel u ned 2 appeace d gods of Iron  Sango, with 2 fat cows, 1 humax decoder, 1 4.5m dish. u can send it 2 me for onward delivery 2 Sango d god of thunder. bros al is wel.

@olason,
Two fat cows and humax decoder for gods that do not breathe, let alone see? which
eye dem wan take watch the decoder? Which mouth dem wan take chop the cows?
na wao! Anyway sha, I have devised my own solution to stop this fire once and for
all. I will fight fire with fire! grin
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by toxnaija: 10:36pm On Jul 17, 2009
dejsam,
thanks for the reply.I would like you to send us the signal level of stations such as BBC,SHOWSPORTS,MBC,and CNN in the North using the 3.5m steel dish.I think one would be able to determine the signal level for the South.Try to compare the signal levels.I will call you when you send the report.Thanks for the frequencies.I will try them on Sunday.

George-D,
how body?I pray you surmount the lightning wahala.

blexxonmak,
How are we going to benefit from the ESPN revolution?It seems we are winning the fta war with AD Sports' refusal to link with Showtime.

Adewest,
thanks for the call earlier today.I was sleeping when your call came in.I will call you when I arrive in Abeokuta tmrw.
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by skylolo112(m): 12:42am On Jul 18, 2009
@all
seems there is no much of MPEG-4 - PVR ready - CI - CONAX (Australasia Version)
if not it will have been available on ebay

but soon i know olofofo knows how to go about this things cheap
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by emeystan(m): 9:24am On Jul 18, 2009
@all
@enitan
have u noticed that mbc on w3a is cracking?
Are you experiencing similar problem, i'll like to know cos i am considering re-adjusting the dish. Please help me out
Re: Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] by williams85(m): 10:14am On Jul 18, 2009
Satellite signals are not always steady. Don't touch ur dish, it might get better.

(1) (2) (3) ... (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) ... (175)

Strong Receivers Thread / Newbie In Satellite Installation: Introduce Yourself Here With Your Problems / Free to Air codes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.