Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,802 members, 7,810,090 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:31 PM

My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much (27309 Views)

Two Half-Nude Ladies Beat Me Mercilessly In My Boyfriend's House / Calabar Girl And Her Amaricana Boyfriend Smokes Crazy In The Abuja Club (photo) / Nigerian Groom-to-be Smokes In The Toilet For Prewedding Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by jumanche: 4:45am On Sep 07, 2015
I met my boyfriend online. We were in a long distance relationship for a 2 months before I moved back to his town.
Before we met, he told me he smoked cigarettes but socially. I was ok with that. I thought that If he needed a cigar to calm his nerves , its alright. I do not smoke.

After we met, It turns out that he's a chain smoker. He takes at least 3 packs of cigarettes a day. After a month of dating him, I just couldn't take it anymore. After we visit each other, I reek of cigarettes. My clothes, my purses, my hair, the bed-sheet. Everything stinks. Sometimes I have to re-do my laundry. He smokes inside the house and car so the smoke is directly on me .

I talked to him about this. I told him that the smoke stinks everywhere up so bad and that I have to wash my clothes after I visit him. He got really mad and we didnt talk for days.

I love my boyfriend but I cannot take the smoking. Its also starting to affect him medically , his teeth is rotten and he coughs chronically. I tell him to stop at least for his health and he starts to give examples of non-smokers who died early or smokers who live long.

I am at my wits end because everything and everywhere stink and cigarette butts are everywhere.

How do I tell him to stop?? Or do you think its time to end the relationship.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by missdebs(f): 4:49am On Sep 07, 2015
for the sake of your health and that of your future kids, leave the bros

166 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by raayah(f): 4:59am On Sep 07, 2015
I would end it if I were in your shoes. Him telling you that he smoked socially when he smokes 3 packs a day would also be a sticking point for me, and I would read into that a certain level of dishonesty.

Your boyfriend could probably get diagnosed with a substance use disorder. The stuff he's doing is fairly typical of an addict. You unfortunately most likely do not have the leverage to be able to force him to change, especially considering he's addicted to a legal substance and your relationship is newer than his addiction.

66 Likes

Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by CICERO09(m): 5:04am On Sep 07, 2015
3packs a day nd he hasn't turned to smoke i don't believe it

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by afamjb: 5:06am On Sep 07, 2015
ur boyfriend smokes 3 packs of cigarettes a day wch is =60 sticks, d guy no dey chop food na only to dey smoke he sabi.
Op pls leave him before he smokes u one day.

91 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by jumanche: 5:12am On Sep 07, 2015
afamjb:
ur boyfriend smokes 3 packs of cigarettes a day wch is =60 sticks, d guy no dey chop food na only to dey smoke he sabi. Op pls leave him before he smokes u one day.

its even more than 3 packs a day. I said at least 3 packs. We only spend few hours together a day and during that time, which is usually like 5/6 hours, he finishes 2 packs. It may be up to 5 packs a day..

i know i have to leave but i guess i was looking for a way to let him stop.

11 Likes

Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by QueenEdna(f): 5:26am On Sep 07, 2015
Personally i wudnt dare go out wt a smoker cos i cant stand the smell,aΩ̴̩̩̩d̶̲̥̅̊ cant risk my lungs gettn polluted air wch cud result in lung cancer, safer for him smoking dan me inhaling.

Obviously,this ur guy is a chain smoker, can U̶̲̥̅̊ tolerate that? Mayb he needs lots of patience to help him get ova d habit, but do you seee urself fitting dt role? If U̶̲̥̅̊ know U̶̲̥̅̊ cant tolerate aΩ̴̩̩̩̥d̶̲̥̅̊ respect this particular habit, U̶̲̥̅̊ know what to do.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by olafum1(m): 5:30am On Sep 07, 2015
And u still say my boyfriend.. OK nice cool

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by agarawu23(m): 5:36am On Sep 07, 2015
jumanche:
I met my boyfriend online. We were in a long distance relationship for a 2 months before I moved back to his town.
Before we met, he told me he smoked cigarettes but socially. I was ok with that. I thought that If he needed a cigar to calm his nerves , its alright. I do not smoke.

After we met, It turns out that he's a chain smoker. He takes at least 3 packs of cigarettes a day. After a month of dating him, I just couldn't take it anymore. After we visit each other, I reek of cigarettes. My clothes, my purses, my hair, the bed-sheet. Everything stinks. Sometimes I have to re-do my laundry. He smokes inside the house and car so the smoke is directly on me .

I talked to him about this. I told him that the smoke stinks everywhere up so bad and that I have to wash my clothes after I visit him. He got really mad and we didnt talk for days.

I love my boyfriend but I cannot take the smoking. Its also starting to affect him medically , his teeth is rotten and he coughs chronically. I tell him to stop at least for his health and he starts to give examples of non-smokers who died early or smokers who live long.

I am at my wits end because everything and everywhere stink and cigarette butts are everywhere.

dump his ass and move on. He is addicted so therefore stopping him is ganna be a big job for you. I hate smokers

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by jumanche: 5:38am On Sep 07, 2015
QueenEdna:
Personally i wudnt dare go out wt a smoker cos i cant stand the smell,aΩ̴̩̩̩d̶̲̥̅̊ cant risk my lungs gettn polluted air wch cud result in lung cancer, safer for him smoking dan me inhaling.

This ur guy obviously is a chain smoker, can U̶̲̥̅̊ tolerate that? Mayb he needs lots of patience to help him get ova d habit, but do you seee urself fitting dt role? If U̶̲̥̅̊ know U̶̲̥̅̊ cant tolerate aΩ̴̩̩̩̥d̶̲̥̅̊ respect this particular habit, U̶̲̥̅̊ know what to do.

you are right. the risk of disease is very high. I am running out of patience, i just had a little hope that he would stop.
Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by odinese(m): 5:41am On Sep 07, 2015
.quit that sh!t u call a relationship coz that guy ain't gonna live long trust me!!!

Smoking kills, it causes a lot of damages in the body. It ain't gonna affect 'em now but in the future...

My fathers smokes a lot, died at age 45...so why tf do u think that sh!t gonna help the young guy?
No sh:t u can do that can make the n***a stop. He is addicted deal with it!

I don't f%#k with smokers...coz I hate that sh?t a lot!
My advice, quit!....look for a better guy. If u can't find one come over to me...ciao

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by Nobody: 5:43am On Sep 07, 2015
jumanche:

you are right. the risk of disease is very high. I am running out of patience, i just had a little hope that he would stop.
yu can enrol me as ur new BF; I don't drink or smoke!
wink wink

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by hola106(m): 6:05am On Sep 07, 2015
Dis s serious oooo
Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by Nobody: 6:15am On Sep 07, 2015
That's what you get from internet dating. The worst place to find someone for relationship is the internet, my advice is to leave him ASAP. Someone that smokes at least 3pkts of cigarettes a day is a chronic addict. He needs intervention and I don't think you can do it. Before you leave tell him that smokers are liable to die young lipsrsealed

9 Likes

Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by vizkiz: 6:18am On Sep 07, 2015
"smokers are liable to die young"

7 Likes

Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by jazinogold(m): 6:21am On Sep 07, 2015
lovers of smokers are more liable to die young pls flee from him!

my girlfriend talks too much...so te she dy tell her male friends she's on! angry
should I breakup with her?

in another news.. .the anointed man of God! A real life changer will be in a location near you for the widely publicized Lagos city wide crusade!!! you cant affordto miss this opportunity to have a divine encounter with God!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by lumzybo: 6:33am On Sep 07, 2015
Every1 is advising you to dump his sorry ass.
grin
Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by Cutehector(m): 6:35am On Sep 07, 2015
People get into smokin because others r doin it .... Peer pressure especially

A lot of people hav coerced me into smoking, and up till now, my answers still says Hell to the NO

5 Likes

Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by Omotayor123(f): 6:36am On Sep 07, 2015
Simple... If you know you can't marry a smoker, Do the needful! Ishhh cool.
Personally, I can't stand smokers..

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by Olalekanbanky1(m): 6:45am On Sep 07, 2015
Keep it up! By the time u marry am, u go know hm dey smoke igbo as well. Ur life will never remain the same courtesy of daily punches on ur facie

9 Likes

Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by jumanche: 6:46am On Sep 07, 2015
Olalekanbanky1:
Keep it up! By the time u marry am, u go know hm dey smoke igbo as well. Ur life will never remain the same courtesy of daily punches on ur facie

Actually, my boyfriend is a very good man. He is very down to earth and respectful. He will never ever punch me. He helps around the house, he cooks for himself and even helps do my hair. He is perfect. Its just sad that he has this addiction. Please do not insult him.

This is the reason why I am confused about the smoking because that's his only flaw. Its a really bad flaw but he's a very good man and i wish I could help him.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by Olalekanbanky1(m): 6:48am On Sep 07, 2015
Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by Ahmadgani(m): 6:57am On Sep 07, 2015
Take off but in a civil way
Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by Menace2Society(m): 7:06am On Sep 07, 2015
jumanche:

Actually, my boyfriend is a very good man. He is very down to earth and respectful. He will never ever punch me. He helps around the house, he cooks for himself and even helps do my hair. He is perfect. Its just sad that he has this addiction. Please do not insult him.

This is the reason why I am confused about the smoking because that's his only flaw. Its a really bad flaw but he's a very good man and i wish I could help him.

U came here to talk about me right? How many times i'm I gonna tell u that i will stop it the moment u say i do undecided

19 Likes

Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by Menace2Society(m): 7:07am On Sep 07, 2015
Raymondenyi:
yu can enrol me as ur new BF; I don't drink or smoke!
wink wink
Ole undecided

3 Likes

Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by Abudu2000(m): 7:23am On Sep 07, 2015
jumanche:

its even more than 3 packs a day. I said at least 3 packs. We only spend few hours together a day and during that time, which is usually like 5/6 hours, he finishes 2 packs. It may be up to 5 packs a day..

i know i have to leave but i guess i was looking for a way to let him stop.
hmmmm ooooooop

3 Likes

Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by jackpot(f): 7:26am On Sep 07, 2015
cc: lalasticlala, ishilove, seun
front page pls
Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by CaptPlanet(m): 7:38am On Sep 07, 2015
QueenEdna:
Personally i wudnt dare go out wt a smoker cos i cant stand the smell,Α̲̅Ω̴̩̩̩d̶̲̥̅̊ cant risk my lungs gettn polluted air wch cud result in lung cancer, safer for him smoking dan me inhaling.

Obviously,this ur guy is a chain smoker, can U̶̲̥̅̊ tolerate that? Mayb he needs lots of patience to help him get ova d habit, but do you seee urself fitting dt role? If U̶̲̥̅̊ know U̶̲̥̅̊ cant tolerate Α̲̅Ω̴̩̩̩̥d̶̲̥̅̊ respect this particular habit, U̶̲̥̅̊ know what to do.

Nicotine is very difficult to quit.

2 Likes

Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by Krak(m): 7:38am On Sep 07, 2015
jumanche:

You are also a smoker, though a passive one but with the same health implications as a chronic smoker.

Think about your health first before you think about him and the relationship, maybe this will help you make the right decision.

Babe the truth is that he is addicted and it will take a herculean task for him to stop smoking.

Think with your head.

11 Likes

Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by trigar12(m): 7:41am On Sep 07, 2015
In Yoruba land, we will describe your bf as SANGO grin

10 Likes

Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by CaptPlanet(m): 8:10am On Sep 07, 2015
jumanche:

I kindda like your attitude about the whole thing. First you have to understand that cigarettes contains nicotine ( the substance that makes it addictive) and it's very difficult to quit so you're in for a huge task

If you really want to help him, I suggest you take some drastic measures.

Let him know that you won't visit him if he'll smoke with you around and if he does, leave his house ASAP/ do things he don't like, if he calls you let him understand that you can't stand the habit and if he really loves you, he should respect you. Deny him candy if u must (men love candy and we'll do anything to get some) That should at least cut down his smoking with you around (it's difficult but you gotta stick with it)

When this starts to work, spend more time with him, he'll reduce the way he smokes and also dispose of every packs of cigarettes around the house. Allow him some space to smoke (he can't quit abruptly)

Talk to him about it all the time, better yet NAG about it, men despise nagging. Get info on the adverse effects of smoking and show it to him, u can get pics of affected lungs off the Internet and show him. It'll stick in his subconscious mind, that should help.

Make him open up to you (men hide alot) esp how his day went, get him to trust you, don't judge him when he tell you difficult stuff, act like it's no biggie, you chics have your way with men so you should know how to get him to release all that worked up stress/emotion from a hard day.

Gradually reduce his average sticks a day (make charts with him), if he burns like 15 sticks a day, you could make it 5 a day if you go about it the right way. You can give him a treat once or twice a month, you know what he likes, like nice meal, warm bath together, seduce the living daylight out of him....use your imagination.

Finally you can get him e- cigarettes , they're healthier and more environment friendly.

PS: get him to eat a lot of fruits, let him go for detox.

I hope this helps.

62 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by AfroKnight: 8:12am On Sep 07, 2015
Secondhand smoking kills faster. EVERY exposure to exhaled smoke causes damage. Choose if you would risk your health for love or not.

Remember, he is an addict. There is a great chance that he would never stop smoking.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Some Prayer Lines Single Ladies Pray Before Stepping Out / He Blocked Me For No Reason. / My Surprise Proposal And Engagement Party - Gavel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.