Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,069 members, 7,818,188 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:52 AM

My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much - Romance (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much (27328 Views)

Two Half-Nude Ladies Beat Me Mercilessly In My Boyfriend's House / Calabar Girl And Her Amaricana Boyfriend Smokes Crazy In The Abuja Club (photo) / Nigerian Groom-to-be Smokes In The Toilet For Prewedding Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by sweatlana: 10:02am On Sep 07, 2015
YES PLEASE!

DO YOU WANT KIDS THAT SMOKE?
Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by CaptPlanet(m): 10:02am On Sep 07, 2015
dasrackhor:
Best comment so far..U deserve an award for this...Bar man 10 crates for dat dude..Nice 1..

Lol!

Abeg bar man hurry up!

I see u bro. Thanks
Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by daniel56(m): 10:02am On Sep 07, 2015
I will say dis, maybe I am right,
U can't stop a fish from swimming in the water,
If he promise to stop, I promise dis he will stop for a week or month and go back, he love smoking and he drive joy in doing it, if u can't bit dem u join dem,
He is who he is, if u love hi, join him or 4get about the relationship.
Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by emsheddy(m): 10:02am On Sep 07, 2015
raayah:
I would end it if I were in your shoes. Him telling you that he smoked socially when he smokes 3 packs a day would also be a sticking point for me, and I would read into that a certain level of dishonesty.

Your boyfriend could probably get diagnosed with a substance use disorder. The stuff he's doing is fairly typical of an addict. You unfortunately most likely do not have the leverage to be able to force him to change, especially considering he's addicted to a legal substance and your relationship is newer than his addiction.

I must confess that I admire how you reason and present issues with sincerity and boldness. You have a big fan in me. Thumbs up Super Woman. O.P take a walk now or regret it later. Theres no two-ways about it.
Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by cruz419(m): 10:02am On Sep 07, 2015
pls help ur self cos even if it doesnt affect him wat of ur un born children, dem might suffer for his bad habit!?!! health complication.
Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by shejane: 10:03am On Sep 07, 2015
CaptPlanet:

I kindda like your attitude about the whole thing. First you have to understand that cigarettes contains nicotine ( the substance that makes it addictive) and it's very difficult to quit so you're in for a huge task

If you really want to help him, I suggest you take some drastic measures.

Let him know that you won't visit him if he'll smoke with you around and if he does, leave his house ASAP/ do things he don't like, if he calls you let him understand that you can't stand the habit and if he really loves you, he should respect you. Deny him candy if u must (men love candy and we'll do anything to get some) That should at least cut down his smoking with you around (it's difficult but you gotta stick with it)

When this starts to work, spend more time with him, he'll reduce the way he smokes and also dispose of every packs of cigarettes around the house. Allow him some space to smoke (he can't quit abruptly)

Talk to him about it all the time, better yet NAG about it, men despise nagging. Get info on the adverse effects of smoking and show it to him, u can get pics of affected lungs off the Internet and show him. It'll stick in his subconscious mind, that should help.

Make him open up to you (men hide alot) esp how his day went, get him to trust you, don't judge him when he tell you difficult stuff, act like it's no biggie, you chics have your way with men so you should know how to get him to release all that worked up stress/emotion from a hard day.

Gradually reduce his average sticks a day (make charts with him), if he burns like 15 sticks a day, you could make it 5 a day if you go about it the right way. You can give him a treat once or twice a month, you know what he likes, like nice meal, warm bath together, seduce the living daylight out of him....use your imagination.

Finally you can get him e- cigarettes , they're healthier and more environment friendly.

PS: get him to eat a lot of fruits, let him go for detox.

I hope this helps.

Wow did I tell u my story? Cos u just listed all the things I did with mine... impressive... @ op if he's good to you then don't leave him, u can help him if he really loves u... Nobody says is gonna be easy but uav to do it. It wasn't easy with me but I did it..sometimes I cough so real and so bad (acting)around him about d smoke so he stop smoking around me and I started spending more time with him. Is a gradual tin sha, he still smokes but he can go days without it.

1 Like

Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by loashi(m): 10:08am On Sep 07, 2015
Sweety,its jxt awkward d situation u re in,ma advice...give him a break,if he sees ur worth,he'll kum arnd n peradventure gradually turn a new leaf,cos trust me babe,he z closer 2 his grave dan he thinks..
Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by Raiise(m): 10:09am On Sep 07, 2015
Its could have been a lil better if it were just a "habit." Habit is very different from physical addiction..You've got to quit the relationship
Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by odinese(m): 10:10am On Sep 07, 2015
Mufasa27:

What's up with the S and N word ?? So you can't construct a good english without curse words, I see nor diff btw u and a smoker !! If you want to comment on a post, do that responsibly.

Stfu! Non of your business buddy!
Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by pomporijay(m): 10:11am On Sep 07, 2015
3 packs a day? Hmmm dats 60 sticks a day.....harmful to his health pls keep talking to him to stop or better still take a walk if he refuses...
Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by Kolade354(m): 10:11am On Sep 07, 2015
jumanche:

you are right. the risk of disease is very high. I am running out of patience, i just had a little hope that he would stop.
Something is wrong with ya Head, Why would you even agree to date a guy that smokes in the first place.........So u cnt see any responsible Dude to date....Ya life ya problem

1 Like

Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by happney65: 10:12am On Sep 07, 2015
missdebs:
for the sake of your health and that of your future kids, leave the bros

Long long ago I have stopped advising women..Na when her eyes don clear well well she go know say she should not even be here asking if she should stay with him or not..
Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by omooba969(m): 10:13am On Sep 07, 2015
END IT !
Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by vani86: 10:18am On Sep 07, 2015
dotmandt:
It's not going to be easy to stop him like dat ooooooooo but if u really love him and u are ready to help him stop d habit is going to be a gradual process.
1.Prayer
2.Cancelling
3.Advising him from time 2 time to try and reduce the numbers of cigaratte, keep repeat the same method 4rm time to time
4.Regular health check up

counselling bro, modify sharply before dey use you do front page
Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by Nobody: 10:19am On Sep 07, 2015
agarawu23:
dump his ass and move on. He is addicted so therefore stopping him is ganna be a big job for you. I hate smokers
what abt drunkards. u 8 dem too?
Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by adaxxy: 10:21am On Sep 07, 2015
jumanche:

its even more than 3 packs a day. I said at least 3 packs. We only spend few hours together a day and during that time, which is usually like 5/6 hours, he finishes 2 packs. It may be up to 5 packs a day..

i know i have to leave but i guess i was looking for a way to let him stop.
if you dont want to have cancer run for your dearest life,I was in your shoes be and trust me on this they can't change.
Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by Akuneshiobike(m): 10:21am On Sep 07, 2015
jumanche:

you are right. the risk of disease is very high. I am running out of patience, i just had a little hope that he would stop.
Abegii! Stop wetin? na so dem dey stop am? keep on dreaming in the name of HOPE. But wait oo! you are talking about loving a chronic smoker?
SMH for you.

Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by drey076(m): 10:22am On Sep 07, 2015
Menace2Society:
U came here to talk about me right? How many times i'm I gonna tell u that i will stop it the moment u say i do undecided
cheesy
Menace2Society:
U came here to talk about me right? How many times i'm I gonna tell u that i will stop it the moment u say i do undecided
Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by emmaberry(f): 10:23am On Sep 07, 2015
Will u dump d next because he flirts? Nd d next because he drinks, nd d next because he lies? How many do u have to dump b4 u settle down? My dear, search deep down in ur hrt to see if u really love him. If u do, make him knw how u feel abt his smoking habit, dnt try to change him tho, give him time nd show him so much love nd support, try o engage him in beneficiary acivities nd above all, try drawing him close to God

2 Likes

Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by wizard007(m): 10:23am On Sep 07, 2015
Too many negative energy on here, I've always known nairaland is the worst place to seek advice from, they are all hypocrites, save for CaptPlanet.

Nice one coming from a guy, if you love him and he's truly a good man as you defended him earlier from castigation, then you should look into helping.

Take strong measures, test his love for you between his addiction and yourself. No sane man would choose vices over a good woman. Read CaptPlanet quotes everytime it will help you a lot.

CaptPlanet:

I kindda like your attitude about the whole thing. First you have to understand that cigarettes contains nicotine ( the substance that makes it addictive) and it's very difficult to quit so you're in for a huge task

If you really want to help him, I suggest you take some drastic measures.

Let him know that you won't visit him if he'll smoke with you around and if he does, leave his house ASAP/ do things he don't like, if he calls you let him understand that you can't stand the habit and if he really loves you, he should respect you. Deny him candy if u must (men love candy and we'll do anything to get some) That should at least cut down his smoking with you around (it's difficult but you gotta stick with it)

When this starts to work, spend more time with him, he'll reduce the way he smokes and also dispose of every packs of cigarettes around the house. Allow him some space to smoke (he can't quit abruptly)

Talk to him about it all the time, better yet NAG about it, men despise nagging. Get info on the adverse effects of smoking and show it to him, u can get pics of affected lungs off the Internet and show him. It'll stick in his subconscious mind, that should help.

Make him open up to you (men hide alot) esp how his day went, get him to trust you, don't judge him when he tell you difficult stuff, act like it's no biggie, you chics have your way with men so you should know how to get him to release all that worked up stress/emotion from a hard day.

Gradually reduce his average sticks a day (make charts with him), if he burns like 15 sticks a day, you could make it 5 a day if you go about it the right way. You can give him a treat once or twice a month, you know what he likes, like nice meal, warm bath together, seduce the living daylight out of him....use your imagination.

Finally you can get him e- cigarettes , they're healthier and more environment friendly.

PS: get him to eat a lot of fruits, let him go for detox.

I hope this helps.

2 Likes

Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by Henricarter(m): 10:30am On Sep 07, 2015
Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by raayah(f): 4:59am I would end it if I were in your shoes. Him telling you that he smoked socially when he smokes 3 packs a day would also be a sticking point for me, and I would read into that a certain level of dishonesty. Your boyfriend could probably get diagnosed with a substance use disorder. The stuff he's doing is fairly typical of an addict. You unfortunately most likely do not have the leverage to be able to force him to change, especially considering he's addicted to a legal substance and your relationship is newer than his addiction............ YOU ARE SICK
Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by agarawu23(m): 10:31am On Sep 07, 2015
afolag:

what abt drunkards. u 8 dem too?
yes
Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by correctyourself(m): 10:32am On Sep 07, 2015
jumanche:
I met my boyfriend online. We were in a long distance relationship for a 2 months before I moved back to his town.
Before we met, he told me he smoked cigarettes but socially. I was ok with that. I thought that If he needed a cigar to calm his nerves , its alright. I do not smoke.

After we met, It turns out that he's a chain smoker. He takes at least 3 packs of cigarettes a day. After a month of dating him, I just couldn't take it anymore. After we visit each other, I reek of cigarettes. My clothes, my purses, my hair, the bed-sheet. Everything stinks. Sometimes I have to re-do my laundry. He smokes inside the house and car so the smoke is directly on me .

I talked to him about this. I told him that the smoke stinks everywhere up so bad and that I have to wash my clothes after I visit him. He got really mad and we didnt talk for days.

I love my boyfriend but I cannot take the smoking. Its also starting to affect him medically , his teeth is rotten and he coughs chronically. I tell him to stop at least for his health and he starts to give examples of non-smokers who died early or smokers who live long.

I am at my wits end because everything and everywhere stink and cigarette butts are everywhere.

How do I tell him to stop?? Or do you think its time to end the relationship.

Dump him fast-fast, men that smokes can hardly stay out of it, before you sees a man who could stay off he must have been admitted by a hospital and he has being adviced by a doctor, though some still go back to the act. You can emerging some of them smoke inside the toilet . Nonsense.
Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by litaninja(m): 10:33am On Sep 07, 2015
Are you dating a guy or a chimney?
grin
Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by onyxo76(m): 10:33am On Sep 07, 2015
jumanche:
I met my boyfriend online. We were in a long distance relationship for a 2 months before I moved back to his town.
Before we met, he told me he smoked cigarettes but socially. I was ok with that. I thought that If he needed a cigar to calm his nerves , its alright. I do not smoke.

After we met, It turns out that he's a chain smoker. He takes at least 3 packs of cigarettes a day. After a month of dating him, I just couldn't take it anymore. After we visit each other, I reek of cigarettes. My clothes, my purses, my hair, the bed-sheet. Everything stinks. Sometimes I have to re-do my laundry. He smokes inside the house and car so the smoke is directly on me .

I talked to him about this. I told him that the smoke stinks everywhere up so bad and that I have to wash my clothes after I visit him. He got really mad and we didnt talk for days.

I love my boyfriend but I cannot take the smoking. Its also starting to affect him medically , his teeth is rotten and he coughs chronically. I tell him to stop at least for his health and he starts to give examples of non-smokers who died early or smokers who live long.

I am at my wits end because everything and everywhere stink and cigarette butts are everywhere.

if you value your lungs then you run,passive smoking kills as well .
Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by OLUWAFUNMISE(f): 10:33am On Sep 07, 2015
shake your head, how far is there anything? grin grin grin
Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by imma2(m): 10:38am On Sep 07, 2015
Chinekeme!!! shocked shocked shocked 3 packets or 3 sticks?
Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by Nobody: 10:39am On Sep 07, 2015
missdebs:
for the sake of your health and that of your future kids, leave the bros
No this is not the right advise. She should help him quit smoking. I smoked for 28 years and I know how devastating his situation is. Nicotine, caffeine, tar and the likes are so addictive. I almost lost hope over the years trying, spending to quit to no avail, but I was astonished to get the antidote through my personal research. I have helped many guys and ladies alike to quit in just 3days after using my therapy. It is 100% safe and effective. Only 3days the urge to smoke dies. Contact me here for a confidential, personal consultation. 08166870383. Email: itstorekeeper@@gmail.com.
Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by andyanders: 10:40am On Sep 07, 2015
jumanche:

You are only dating a walking cops and you are equally a chain smoker as the cigarette he smokes, you also inhale the greater % of it and is also prone to same sickness in future.

I suggest you quite the relationship since it is very difficult to stop chronic smokers.
Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by Etizz: 10:41am On Sep 07, 2015
jumanche:

its even more than 3 packs a day. I said at least 3 packs. We only spend few hours together a day and during that time, which is usually like 5/6 hours, he finishes 2 packs. It may be up to 5 packs a day..

i know i have to leave but i guess i was looking for a way to let him stop.

Sweetheart if u can't make him change den let him go..... Life is beautiful.
Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by UjSizzle(f): 10:45am On Sep 07, 2015
jumanche:

Actually, my boyfriend is a very good man. He is very down to earth and respectful. He will never ever punch me. He helps around the house, he cooks for himself and even helps do my hair. He is perfect. Its just sad that he has this addiction. Please do not insult him.

This is the reason why I am confused about the smoking because that's his only flaw. Its a really bad flaw but he's a very good man and i wish I could help him.

You're a sweet girl smiley

In addition to what CaptPlanet suggested, you can search for useful tips on the internet preferably from chronic smokers who have successfully quit. It's going to be difficult honey, but it's possible to make him stop if he's cooperative.

Still for the sake of your health, don't stay in the same environment with him once he pulls out a stick. It's important he doesn't smoke around you.

"Social smoker" lol grin I wonder what he calls an addict then.

1 Like

Re: My Boyfriend Smokes Too Much by uscofield: 10:45am On Sep 07, 2015
One out of a thousand ways to die.

OP, u are even smoking more than him as long as he smokes close to u.

The residue from his mouth is thicker than what u think.

If u know how to use the velocity of escape, do it asap.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Lady Reveals Why She Married Her Old White Husband, People React / Christian Wedding Songs To Give Your DJ If You Don't Want Secular Music Played / My Surprise Proposal And Engagement Party - Gavel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.