Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,214 members, 7,818,724 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:02 PM

Arsenal, Manchester United: who is greater? - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Arsenal, Manchester United: who is greater? (26892 Views)

RVP To Manchester United: Who Is The Greatest Beneficiary? / Arsenal Vs Manchester United: Who Wins? / Ojuelegba Boys Vs. Manchester United: Who Go Win? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Arsenal, Manchester United: who is greater? by crito(m): 11:19pm On Jul 24, 2006
gunners 4 life,no long thing.
49 unbeaten no be beans .
Re: Arsenal, Manchester United: who is greater? by toshmann(m): 1:11am On Jul 25, 2006
na moi-moi and paw-paw
Re: Arsenal, Manchester United: who is greater? by 9ja4eva: 1:48am On Mar 04, 2007
MANCHESTER UNITED
Re: Arsenal, Manchester United: who is greater? by 4Play(m): 1:50am On Mar 04, 2007
Attention Gunners Fans

Invitations are out for the Gunners End Of Season Party grin
Re: Arsenal, Manchester United: who is greater? by 9ja4eva: 2:22am On Mar 04, 2007
lol
Re: Arsenal, Manchester United: who is greater? by Blow(m): 1:42pm On Mar 11, 2007
I need to have my say;

Manchester United is greater in terms of
records of trophies won.

Premier League (including Old First Division)
Manchester United - 15 Titles( 8 out of 14 premiership titles)
Arsenal - 13 Titles(3 out of 14 premiership titles)

FA Cup
Manchester United - 11 Titles
Arsenal - 10 Titles

European Cup/UEFA Champions League
Manchester United - 2 Titles
Arsenal - 0 Titles

UEFA Cup Winners' Cup
Manchester United - 1 Title
Arsenal - 1 Title

what about unbeaten records!
Sorry there's no trophy for that.
Moreso,
The unbeaten run was ended on October 24, 2004
by Manchester United, who defeated Arsenal 2-0
at Old Trafford

Verdict
Arsenal is a great football club
However Manchester United is a greater footbal club

COURT!
Re: Arsenal, Manchester United: who is greater? by Abdblues(m): 4:25pm On Mar 11, 2007
For Football clubs what other way is there to measure 'greatness' if not for the number of trophies won? Both clubs are great but Man U definitely is greater! They are also richer (pre Glazers era) and have more supporters than Arsenal.
Re: Arsenal, Manchester United: who is greater? by 9ja4eva: 3:45am On Mar 12, 2007
manchester united
Re: Arsenal, Manchester United: who is greater? by jgirl3: 9:22am On Mar 12, 2007
[size=14pt]MANCHESTER UNITED![/size]
Re: Arsenal, Manchester United: who is greater? by Vieira(m): 1:23pm On Mar 12, 2007
Unfortunately, the rating of English teams has to be:

Liverpool
Man U
Arsenal

Trophies is what counts and in terms of olympics, european trophise Gold, League titles is Silver and Local Cups are bronze

so in terms of History Man U are greater.
Re: Arsenal, Manchester United: who is greater? by Blow(m): 5:08pm On Mar 12, 2007
Whats the criteria for that rating

Anyway we are talking about United and Gunners
here.

So you can start a thread on Liverpool vs United
Re: Arsenal, Manchester United: who is greater? by jgirl3: 5:29pm On Mar 12, 2007
when something is great, we're talking about legendary and out of all those teams (liverpool, Arsenal and ManU) - ManU definitely encompasses all that.
Re: Arsenal, Manchester United: who is greater? by Blow(m): 5:40pm On Mar 12, 2007
Thats more like it J-girl

Manchester United has more legends
than all these other clubs,

George Best and Sir Busby, to mention but a few

Won three consecutive premiership under same manager

D'yu want me to continue

LOL
Re: Arsenal, Manchester United: who is greater? by loyika(m): 6:27pm On Mar 12, 2007
Now!! Now!! Children

Lets not in our need to be umpty, get carried away. Listen lets leave sentiments asides here, everyone knows that Liverpool are the Greatest clubside in English Football, in terms of Tradition, History, Players and Trophies, you cannot compare any team to them, [b]They Have 5 Uefa CL trophies, They have Anfield which historically is more renowned than Old T, and compared to United, more important players have worn the Red Jersey of Liverpool. This is a fact that every English man, and "real" follower of the english league should/will know. And there is no arguement about that.

Man United are the richest club side in England, (notwithstanding Roman's Chelsea) and OT is the Highest capacity ground, and yes Man United are the most succesful since the Premiership started, but guys English football did not start with the Prem And corrections Mr. Blow, Matt Busby never played for United but Liverpool (you see my point), he only coached them and George Best, played in the old Division 1 league, as it was known back then, the Prem as we know it Started in 1992, with Man United being the first team to win it.

But please ask any staunch United Fan and he/she will grudgingly inform you that in terms of History and Tradition, and even trophy hauls, its;

1, Liverpool
2, Man United
3, Arsenal (trophy haul), Nott forest (tradition), Spurs (Popularity, but not nowadays anyway)
And the list could go on

And that my friends is the facts, with no sentiments attached. A little research before we post stuff wouldn't hurt now and then wink

cool GOONER 89

P.S.

What is the point of this thread in the 1st place
4, others
Re: Arsenal, Manchester United: who is greater? by jgirl3: 9:30pm On Mar 12, 2007
They never said the greatest - they said greater out of Arsenal and ManU. Therefore - you all agree that ManU is greater.

Don't try and soften that blow by putting Liverpool in the equation.

Simply - ManU is greater than Arsenal.
Re: Arsenal, Manchester United: who is greater? by roflmao: 4:40am On Mar 13, 2007
LMAO grin grin grin ; Ar,.Arsenal greater than United, lol grin grin grin I need to know where you guys get your supply of weed from cos I seriously need to step my blunt game up! , grin grin grin
Re: Arsenal, Manchester United: who is greater? by loyika(m): 8:53am On Mar 13, 2007
J-girl,

Please try and read I put up that the ratings (like Viera said earlier) was;

1 Liverpool
2 Man United
3 Arsenal and co

So where in my post did i say Arsenal were greater than United And like i said, this thread made no sense. If a Liverpool fan started a STUPID thread like this asking what everyone knows is the flipping obvious tongue, what/how does that help anyone, rather than a means to blow your trumpets.

Who is arguing Greatest club with anyone , how does that affect Arsenal/Chelsea supporters if United Supporters see themselves as the greatest Does that affect Wenger or Maureen I doubt that very much.

But anyway, its a free world. You guys can continue in this delirium tongue, as i said "its not F@£king Rocket science". Everyone that knows his onions in the English league knows his history.

Enjoy maties cool

cool GOONER 89
Re: Arsenal, Manchester United: who is greater? by Blow(m): 1:04pm On Mar 13, 2007
Hmnn
Re: Arsenal, Manchester United: who is greater? by Blow(m): 1:54pm On Mar 13, 2007
@Loyika
I can see where you are missing it
Please do me a favour
Read the following with unbiased mind
I want to take you on some classes in history and facts

Lesson 1
Old Trafford vs Anfield!

Old Trafford is one of only two UEFA 5-star stadia in England
The other is Wembley.
Behind Wembley Stadium, Old Trafford has the largest ground capacity of any English football stadium, with a capacity of just over 76,000
Hosted 1966 FIFA World Cup matches, Euro 96 matches and the Champions League final in 2003. With London winning its bid for the 2012 Olympics, the stadium will be used for some preliminary men's and women's football matches

Anfield is one of 5 UEFA 4-Star stadia in England

The Manchester United playground is greater than Liverpools' own
Re: Arsenal, Manchester United: who is greater? by Blow(m): 2:09pm On Mar 13, 2007
Lesson II
Sir Matt Busby,
Most noted for his management of Manchester United F.C. during the 1940s, 1950s and 1960s. Serving as manager of the club from 1945-1969 and again for the 1970-1971 season, he is longest serving manager in the history of Manchester United, ahead of Sir Alex Ferguson.
Manchester United in his days was known as Busby Babes
OT address is Sir Matt Busby way.
Infact we have his portrait within OT.
So Sir Busby is a United Legend, whether you like it or not
Re: Arsenal, Manchester United: who is greater? by Blow(m): 2:18pm On Mar 13, 2007
Lesson III
Sir Bobby Charlton (1958 - 1970) Manchester United legend
Adjudged England's greatest ever player, scoring 49 goals from midfield in his career
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/ic.ic/besta.html
Won a World Cup medal with England in 1966 and
Captained the Manchester United team that won the European Cup in 1968, scoring two goals in the final to help his team be the first English side to win the competition.
Scored more goals for England and United than any other player. He also made more appearances for Manchester United than any other player, records which are still standing at the end of 2006
Re: Arsenal, Manchester United: who is greater? by Blow(m): 2:29pm On Mar 13, 2007
Lesson IV
George Best
Another United Legend, European footballer of the year 1968.
Boyhood Idol of the great Diego Maradona
He played for Man Utd (not Liverpool or gunners)in the first division)

David Beckham, aka golden balls, DB7
The best English right wing ever
Only Englishman to have scored in three world cups!

We have many that times and space will not permit me
to write about
Re: Arsenal, Manchester United: who is greater? by Blow(m): 2:37pm On Mar 13, 2007
Conclusion
In the hearts of English fans United carries the day

When you talk of tradition and history Man U is the greatest.

Liverpool was adjudged the "most successful" on the basis of winning
18 League(Division 1) titles and 5 UEFA Champions league.
Yes Trophies won, You are right, Man U will get there too.
However tradition and history is not easy to surpass.

Premiership is the talk of Europe now
when it comes to local leagues.
Manchester United has won the title 8 times
Liverpool none

Class ends for now!
Re: Arsenal, Manchester United: who is greater? by Hugoboi(m): 2:40pm On Mar 13, 2007
its an insult to compare Manchester United wit ninnows like Arsenal.granted that liverpool is the most decorated of all english clubsides,none has the kind of rich cultural heritage which the Red Devils possess.Not to mention that it was home to Football greats in the likes of Eric Cantona,George Best,The deadly duo of dwight yorke and andy Cole and of course,Becks himself.The treble winning team of "99 reamins the best european club selection of all time.Nuff said!!
Re: Arsenal, Manchester United: who is greater? by loyika(m): 3:47pm On Mar 13, 2007
Blow

Why do we all have a reading problem on Nairaland Now i have to go on a long rant, which i have been trying to avoid tongue

1 Sir Matt Busby is a legend Manager for United (i never said he wasn't JESUS), but he played 80% percent of his football in which club You guessd it LIVERPOOL.

"As a player, Busby began his career at Manchester City where he won an FA Cup Winner's medal in 1934, this following the cup runners-up medal he got the season before. Liverpool manager George Patterson then signed Busby for £8000 in the March of 1936. He made his debut for the Reds on 14 March away to Huddersfield, a game that ended in a 1-0 defeat for Liverpool. He opened his account a month later, his 47th minute strike helped his team to a 2-2 draw with Blackburn at Ewood Park.

Busby soon made the number 4 shirt his own, ousting Robert James Savage in the process. He rarely missed a game over the following three seasons. This consistency earned Busby the Liverpool captaincy and he lead the club with great distinction.

Busby started out as an inside-forward but was switched to the right-half berth early in his career. This turned out to be a wise move as Busby's graceful and stylish play, along with his outstanding passing ability made him a cut above the rest. Busby, along with Jimmy McDougall and Tom Bradshaw made up what is considered by many to be the best half-back line Liverpool had ever had.

Soon after Bob Paisley joined Liverpool from Bishop Auckland and it was Busby who took him under his wing and showed him the ropes at Anfield. This led to a lifelong friendship between two of the most successful managers in English football history. (Paisley for Liverpool and Busby for United)

The Second World War brought an end to Busby's playing days. It is thought that he could have gone on to make over three hundred appearances for the Liverpool."

As for OT

"Man United are the richest club side in England, (notwithstanding Roman's Chelsea) and OT is the Highest capacity ground, and yes Man United are the most succesful since the Premiership started, but guys English football did not"

I REMEMBER SAYING THIS, WHICH PART OF "OT being the highest capacity ground" did you not see "

But read this, (since you all love wikipedia"wink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anfield

especially this part; "Anfield is a football stadium in the district of Anfield, in Liverpool, England. A UEFA 4-star rated stadium, it is the home of Liverpool F.C - England's and UK's most successful club, having been the English league champions 18 times and the European Champions 5 times.

The stadium is well known for the Kop stand on the south-west side of the ground, and the atmosphere and noise those fans can create at games."

Now read the one for OT,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Trafford_%28football_ground%29

Notice the difference in history and tradition. for both stadias

cool GOONER 89
Re: Arsenal, Manchester United: who is greater? by loyika(m): 4:10pm On Mar 13, 2007
Now on to your list of players that have put on the Red of Liverpool or the Red of United.

Well Blow i can tell you without an iota of doubt, that More great players have put on the Red of Liverpool. Ask any other person that knows real stuff about the English league (not the Prem, that started in 1992, but the league that started in the 19th century) You talk about David Beckham, then Arsenal should see themselves as the best as they have a player that many tout to be one of the best (if not the best) player to have played in the Prem, who is Theeiry Henry (i didn't say so, it is the opinions of many, right or wrong is not my place to say).

So player wise, (apart from in the 90s and year 2000s, Liverpool have had a better ratio of stars than Man United. Please don't take my word for it, ask someone that knows the history of English football (if it is someone that doesn't support United, Arsenal or Liverpool, then that would be better as you would have a neutral, honest take on it).

I repeat, Liverpool are greater than United in England, through history and Tradition, Every British person knows this (even born and bred Manchester united supporters in England grudginly accept this as fact) But of recent (following the advent of the Prem) United are the most successful, but they are not considered the greatest (even including feats like the treble being taken into account ).

Its like Chelsea saying they are greater than Arsenal or Tottenham, whereas you could very well say they are as recent more successful than both clubs, but in terms of greatness in London, its Spurs, then Arsenal, then Chelsea. These are facts.

United are greater than Arsenal (under every category we chose to use) but Liverpool are greater than United (in terms of footballing history and tradition, United beat them in terms of Fan base and wealth and ground capacity, but thats where it stops)

But its a free world, and you can chose to believe what you want, but like i said, if you have a neutral football friend that knows his English footie history (Not just Prem history from 1992), please do ask him, or even if you are in England, ask neutral football supporters who they consider the Greatest (not most recent successful) English football club, i can bet with you that you will get an honest answer, and i am sure the answer will be LIVERPOOL.

Until then, lets just agree to disagree, for now, till you do the research and get back to me on your findings cool

cool GOONER 89
Re: Arsenal, Manchester United: who is greater? by loyika(m): 4:37pm On Mar 13, 2007
Mr. Blow cool

Go through these (since everyone loves Wiki)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverpool_F.C.

"Liverpool Football Club are an English professional football club based in Liverpool. They play in the Premier League and are the most successful club in English football. Liverpool have won eighteen First Division titles, seven FA Cups, seven League Cups, five European Cups and three UEFA Cups. Liverpool are a founder member of the G-14 group of leading European football clubs.

Liverpool were founded in 1892 and play at Anfield Stadium, where they have always played"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_United_F.C.

"Manchester United Football Club are a world-famous English football club, based at the Old Trafford stadium in Trafford, Greater Manchester, and are one of the most popular sports clubs in the world, with over 50 million supporters worldwide. Manchester United are one of the most successful clubs in the world and are second only to Liverpool F.C. in terms of trophies won by an English club.

They have won the Premier League/Football League 15 times, FA Cup 11 times (an English record), the League Cup twice, the European Cup twice, the UEFA Cup Winners Cup once, the Intercontinental Cup once, and the European Super Cup once. The club has had the highest average attendance in English football for the past 34 seasons, with the exception of 1987-89 during redevelopment at Old Trafford. Among European clubs, they have been perennial revenue leaders for the late 1990s and early 2000s, they are still the fourth richest (in terms of revenue) in the world."

Blow cool, i hope you noticed the clear difference, like i said, if you are not convinced, then ask neutrals, if after that you still feel the same, well you are very much entitled to your views as a Red Devil supporter, but Views will never constitute or change facts.

I rest my case.

cool GOONER 89
Re: Arsenal, Manchester United: who is greater? by Vieira(m): 4:41pm On Mar 13, 2007
Blow is an ass.

he mentioned stadia and he did not mention the new Emirates.

In terms of history Liverpool is no.1 in england and if you really did know any english fans they will have told you that.

I am a Arsenal fan and hence have no bias in this.

Find me any site that lists Man U as no.1 in tradition
Re: Arsenal, Manchester United: who is greater? by loyika(m): 5:13pm On Mar 13, 2007
Oga V

Nah!! I don't think its that, its just that every supporter loves to blow his or her trumpet (it would help if they did some history lessons on the leagues their teams play in before they start making noise).

This is a trend especially seen in Nigeria, for example, you should see misconceptions Chelsea fans make in their comments, trying to correct them is seen as "sacrelage" as they are convinced that Chelsea have always been the Best in London, that they didn't notice them beforehand, as maybe Chelsea have been playing in "Invisible kits", pre Roman A and Maureen. grin

You now get most Fans making funny comment (including Gooners sadly cry) without doing some research

Imagine one other "Clown" who happens to be a Manure supporter on NL tongue, all in a bid of saying Wenger did not sign C Ronaldo, now went on a rant about how Wiltord was a flop in the same rank as Djemba Djemba And how wenger should be berated for buying him

So sometimes you have to make allowances for everyone, as we all feel we know stuff, and some times don't take to kindly to corrections or other views (we are all guilty of that as well sha!!)

But as they say "the truth will set you free". So in terms of Greatness in England, This is  how it goes;

1. LIVERPOOL
2. MAN UNITED
3. ARSENAL and co

folks can argue as much as they want. But doesn't change the fact from what it is, "FACTS"

Has nothing to do with being a Scummie, An Arse or a Loserpool supporter. FACT IS FACT(Always has and always will be).

cool GOONER 89
Re: Arsenal, Manchester United: who is greater? by Blow(m): 5:40pm On Mar 13, 2007
loyika:

Blow

Why do we all have a reading problem on Nairaland Now i have to go on a long rant,
ok

Thank God you are aware of your rants,

I just laughed when I see you placed Arsenal at No. 3,

I want to discontinue this debate because I need a real
Liverpool supporter to take me on this.
Since you can not provide facts and figures to back your
claims.

And another point of correction
wiki cannot give an authoritave assertion
For instance UEFA can give a stadium rating.(OT is rated higher than Anfield)
That is authoritave.

As for Viera
I just feel sorry for you,
Get some manners,
afterward we can talk,
Re: Arsenal, Manchester United: who is greater? by Vieira(m): 6:03pm On Mar 13, 2007
My manners are reserved for those who earn not those who decide to fill the air with rubbish facts and then try to pass it off as gospel.

The greatness of any team boils down to number of trophies. End of.

Has Man U got more trophies than Liverpool?

No.

So how can they be a greater team than Liverpool?

Great teams are judged on their whole history and achievements on the pitch.

Take that and blow it out of any of your orifices.

angry
Re: Arsenal, Manchester United: who is greater? by loyika(m): 6:04pm On Mar 13, 2007
BLOW angry FFS

what facts and figures do you want

Who have won more trophies in England

LIVERPOOL

Which english club have won more trophies in Europe

LIVERPOOL

Who has the most traditional stadia in England

LIVERPOOL

Jesus!! Guy what more do you want to hear ,

Secondly go to my first post in response to you, i said 3rd for trophies is Arsenal, For Tradition is Nott Forrest and for Popularity is/was Tottenham Hotspurs.

As for Stadia, Blow, Anfield has more History and Tradition than Old Tradfford. It is an older stadia for one, Liverpool have always played there, and IN ENGLAND it is seen as the best in terms of History and Tradition, Not in terms of Facilities or Capacity.

What in all of this do you not understand. JESUS H CHRIST!!

Please feel free to carry out your research, and get back to us all

As Oga V said, show us All 1 link, just 1 that says Manchester united is greater than Liverpool. Please take your time and look for it, take a whole F@cking year if you want.

Like i told you, ask anyone that knows the history of the English League (not only the Prem) or if you know a Born and Bred Manchurian please feel free to ask him, who is considered Greater in English football, MAN UNITED or LIVERPOOL.

I give up sad

cool GOONER 89

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply)

Manchester United Vs Liverpool (1 - 1) On 15th January 2017 / Shrewsbury Town Vs Liverpool : FA Cup (2 - 2) - Live / Manchester United Vs Brighton & Hove Albion (1 - 0) On 25th November 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.