Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,298 members, 7,815,528 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:59 PM

The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians (41613 Views)

Any Married Lady Who Never Had This Is As Good As unmarried. / The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians / 8 words of advice for the Unmarried Single Mothers. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by krissy213(f): 8:07am On Nov 05, 2015
menix:
Lamentation of a 'play boy/Gay/Lesbian/Feminist'
Just watch, even those wowo galz no man dey price will also come to support this lamentation..

If u re being stigmatized, enta market ring no cost, it will stop people asking you queshions..

Makes no sense. If you ask me

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by PresVA: 8:13am On Nov 05, 2015
adeoti01:
Marriage, I detest the institution with passion....
Seems you have been very unlucky with relationships? undecided
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Nobody: 8:17am On Nov 05, 2015
Lols, I was talking to friedplantain on Tuesday night_ he was still at work and I was home. I said it's because he isn't married/with kids...on his part, he felt I closed early because I am a family woman. He also said he has been hearing that a lot. So, it's just normal my brother

Though I believe that any married person that goes about asking singles when he/she would get married is functioning on an outdated OS.
It's usually those ones who feel marriage is everything that do that sh*t.

I have loads of single friends, I don't ask them that question _ even when they try to talk about it, it makes me uncomfortable.

Though I ask joseph1832 sha... "When will you marry " cheesy grin grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by jantavanta(m): 8:17am On Nov 05, 2015
Some companies have lost billions by funding the stigmatisation of their key personnel

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by menix(m): 8:18am On Nov 05, 2015
krissy213:

Makes no sense. If you ask me

I won't ask u cous I don't forking care if u exist neither do I owe any wowo gal an explanation

Well if u wanted me to notice you, I have...
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by maryhaam(f): 8:19am On Nov 05, 2015
lestat:
To all rejected, dumped, used, confused, lonely, dependent, emotionally immature, mentally immature, aggressive, single people on naioraland who are all bashing marriage and consoling themselves!!! listen!!!

I work in a company with 70% expatriates and even they will tell you marriage stabilizes one better and makes you a well rounded human being!! I get this all the time because i am in my mid thirties and still single!! yet in a much as i would like to convince myself that being single rocks the reality is that being single and unmarried sucks!!!! it sucks so bad it stinks!!!

How i would love to come home to a smiley face of a wife but things just didn't go that way, may have been my fault or the people i met who knows? thats life sometimes life serves you lemons and instead of ranting make some lemonade!!!

Contrary to your post i actually welcome these constant criticisms why? because they keep me on my toes and constantly remind me what i should be doing!! you see its easy to get lost in the life of being single but let me tell you all

THERES NO JOY IN BEING A SINGLE PARENT NOR IS THERE ANY JOY IN BEING LONELY!!! so i would rather keep having people tell me ythe painful truth than get stuck in self delusions of intentionally wanting to be single when in reality i had some innate issues that needed fixing hence why every good person left me!!

For example.. i have a colleague who has serious temper issues , she wont ever agree to anything except its her point of view, now guess what?!! SHE IS SINGLE AT 34!!!! (No surprise there) now at every opportunity she sings out that it was her choice to be single, that infact she has decided to be a single mum!!! wow!! such self deceit!! the truth is she cant keep a relationship because of her attitude!!

Mine is temper i have a bad temper and that sort of used to scare some women away, imagine me f00ling myself into thinking that being single is a choice instead of working on myself? grin

All i am saying is no one wants to be alone!! no matter how much they deceive them selves or convince people, when they are inside their bedroom alone, they all cry and think over past relationships that they self sabotaged!!!

So stop whining and work on yourself, then maybe yopu cab get married
Lool at the first paragraph .

2 Likes

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by mubarak001(m): 8:19am On Nov 05, 2015
I am just enjoying all whole lot of common and uncommon sense...truth be say, marriage can be scary bt thx God for ppl celebrating 50yrs of marriage(sounds encouraging)

2 Likes

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by yomi007k(m): 8:22am On Nov 05, 2015
maryhaam:
ok jare,how you dey.

Even in d fire,I'm COOL wink

U?
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by maryhaam(f): 8:23am On Nov 05, 2015
yomi007k:

Even in d fire,I'm COOL wink

U?
I dey alrite oooo,how my rivals them
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by lastpage: 8:25am On Nov 05, 2015
StarboyMichael:
My friend wrote this and I want to share.

But it is an invasion of privacy to be asking people when they are getting married. And it is wrong of you to disrespect people because they are not married. Some people even think single or unmarried people are irresponsible or lose.
I have seen situations where some married people believe you should accord them special respect because they are married and you are not.

Let me continue by saying that I am not married and I don't need anybody's advice on why I am not yet married. I personally will not tolerate disrespect from anyone because I am not married. Neither will I accord anyone special respect because he or she is married. I will only respect you if you deserve my respect, whether you are married or single is immaterial to me.

Finally, let it be clear that single or unmarried status is not a disease that needs to be cured. .

Get a Husband and stop ranting here!

Yes, married women deserve a lot of respect and will always be accorded that due respect than on you over-aged "Agadi Nwanyi" that is playing around, jumping from one bed to another, all in the name of civilisation!

If you like, go to court and say you are not respected like a married woman.
Infact, you are considered not yet responsible, since you are yet to get married. undecided
Who are you "responsible towards"? Your wife? Your husband? Your children?

Oh, l forgot, you many boyfriends/Girlfriends, right?
Who will even put you in sensitive position when they know that you can "bail-out" at anytime since you have no "family responsibilities"?

Like l said, if e dey pain you, charge me to court.

Married and Proud of it. Just see my "ring finger"!
tongue tongue tongue tongue

Lastpage!
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by yomi007k(m): 8:26am On Nov 05, 2015
maryhaam:
I dey alrite oooo,how my rivals them

I don't knw anything abt ur rivals...

U shud tel me abt dem,since u knw dem. cheesy
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by shona2487(f): 8:27am On Nov 05, 2015
I think it's time Happily married people began to step forward and share the secret. I dnt nid any1 to tell me that ppl in that category are few. A lot of us r idealists but I think this issue nids a realistic approach. Marriage shld be well prepared for, if sum1 thinks having lots of money is how he/she can prepare, who am I to argue? Jeez! I've got my life and u've got urs nau. Marriage is a double edged sword if dnt handle it well it wld slash u to bits instead of protecting u. We r all here to bare our minds, be honest with ourselves and with eachother. Happily married ppl r very few, wen ppl r pressurized into gettn married,hw is d marriage supposed to work? Ppl nid to start talkn more about hw the society can help improve and sustain marriages. As much as we like to force marriage down ppl's throats in naija, we never lift a finger to help out wen it goes sour. Prayer is needed nd we hav to remember dt God didn't put a deadline on marriage. Look @ d sentence "he who finds a wife,finds a good thing nd obtains favour frm d lord" God himself knws u will find ladiesssss b4 u finally find ONE to be called WIFE. Samme goes for ladies, we find men before we find a HUSBAND, God can hlp us but he wnts us to use our discretion along with his back up, nd dts y he didn't say "he who God finds a wife for,finds a good thing"... let's nt forget dt Adam didn't find his own wife, nw we r here in d world of Eve's error. If we love God we shld use his words to slash into eachother but to guide eachother. PS if any1 pester me abt gettn married quick, i'll first slam u with a punch b4 writing u an epistle o.

3 Likes

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Lilimax(f): 8:29am On Nov 05, 2015
eightsin:

And why are the ladies avoiding this thread like a plague.
Because we ladies cannot impose ourselves on a man for marriage. We may not have control over our being single ...
It is a man that will ask our hands in marriage and not the other way round embarassed

2 Likes

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Nobody: 8:31am On Nov 05, 2015
Marriage wahala grin
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by eightsin(m): 8:31am On Nov 05, 2015
Lilimax:

Because we ladies cannot impose ourselves on a man for marriage. We may not have control over our being single ...
It is a man that will ask our hands in marriage and not the other way round embarassed

True but given the right attitude. I've seen some ladies talk their men into marriage though.
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by lilmax(m): 8:31am On Nov 05, 2015
Lilimax:

Because we ladies cannot impose ourselves on a man for marriage.
na there nai winch take catch una,thats why I don't take the initial gra gra seriously cheesy
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Nobody: 8:32am On Nov 05, 2015
peppyluv02:
80% of married couples in Nigeria are not happy. Fact! So, why rush into it?
Yea....'What people will say'....Interesting
Keep living a miserable life for those whose life are not better than yours...
All these misinformed kids turn relationship counselors think marriage is just a union to bear children and enslave your partner with silly rules and regulation. Don't worry,by the time you get into it with the wrong person,your eyes will open. And don't go screaming, 'I can divorce' because it's better to be single than divorced.
For all the ladies that are desperate..take it easy and don't get into it for the wrong reasons except your single status is your fault eg too much rejection,looking for 'mr right'. No Mr right,no Mrs left,we are human. That's why understanding and tolerance is needed.

this is the most facile hackneyed statement I keep hearing.
Which fact?
Where did you conduct the survey?
If 80% of married people you know are unhappy, then change your circle because something is really wrong somewhere.

Marriage is sweet, as at when due to the right person. I don't believe in pressurised marriage, neither do I believe in your statistics.

Why won't 80% of marriage be unhappy to you, when you go about looking at unhappy couples, to make yourself feel better and buttress your statistics.

If a married person says "singles (especially ladies) are unhappy" some of you would almost have cardiac arrest on top the matter. Argue constructively, albeit with facts. Don't fling preposterous statistics here and there...

6 Likes

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Xmen149(m): 8:33am On Nov 05, 2015
Lol..and someone just said same to me at office this morning,only for me to see this on Nl..people get time i swear..lol..

1 Like

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Lilimax(f): 8:34am On Nov 05, 2015
eightsin:

True but given the right attitude. I've seen some ladies talk their men into marriage though.
Really?
But body language does not usually do the magic if you understand what I meansmiley
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by maryhaam(f): 8:34am On Nov 05, 2015
yomi007k:

I don't knw anything abt ur rivals...

U shud tel me abt dem,since u knw dem. cheesy
you r grounded,till further notice.
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by tivta(m): 8:35am On Nov 05, 2015
Lol. It is understandable why men are not in a hurry to get married (finances) women on the other hand... Perhaps females can explain, for all those feminist claiming professional working class, just be prepared to marry your job,no man will marry a woman who puts work before family.

3 Likes

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by yomi007k(m): 8:36am On Nov 05, 2015
maryhaam:
you r grounded,till further notice.

Ahhh, just like dat?

May I ask why?
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by omoarole: 8:39am On Nov 05, 2015
trishapal:
Even before I got to the point where the op expressly mentioned it, I already knew he (or most probably SHE) was single and 'unhappy' but pretending to be satisfied. Marriage is a program of God so I don't think anyone should arrogantly explain themselves out for not falling in line with that program. Some unhappy singles instead of talking to God to fulfill His purpose for their lives, resort to self-pride, praising their status in public but weeping in their closets. About people 'prying' into your privacy, you need to know that in Africa, or let me say Nigeria, anyone who says 'it is my life' is not always right - we haven't reached that stage. Very few may talk about your status to mock you but many mean well for you. No matter your achievements, except if God exceptionally does not want you to get married, you need to know that you are not where you should be. And if your petty 'achievements' have gotten into your head that you now think or talk less about marriage, you need some people around you to 'beat' you into order...
ite funny

Quite surprising that someone in their right minds in this present day and age will write something as stupid as this. And you're so blind and daft to reason that people can decide how to live their lives. You are the kind of disease that affects the society in the name of saving face, that allows women to be in a loveless marriage that is killing them. You are the cankerworm eating deep into the lives of many people, making them live a life that is untrue to their inner feelings. Ok. So, it is the determination of your own interpretation of "God" that will decide who gets to marry and who does not? How opinionated and long winded your argument is! I cannot but weep for the kind of "children" that you propose to bring into the world, if at this stage of your life, you are as redundant, archaic, parochial and totally patronizing as you portray in this post.
And what my achievements to you may be petty, that is your own cup of tea. That is what people who are jealous of my achievements say, because they cannot achieve what I have achieved now in their lifetime. You are actually the one unhappy, praising your status in public but weeping quietly in your closet. All because of your views about how people tend to want to live their lives.
Really, you are entitled to your views. I am entitled to mine also. You have no right to ask that your "slave-to-the-society" mentality be "beaten" into me.
And to that pastor who said that the married women in his church should not befriend the single women, he is worse than an accursed person, because he is misleading the children of God in his care. You know what Jesus said, He said it is better for a millstone to be tied around his neck and thrown into the river, than for him to mislead the flock of Christ.
Some people will get married. Some people will be single. Some people will remain single and childless all their lives BY CHOICE. Some people will die childless BY CHOICE. It is none of your business how others want to run their lives. It is not your life. And the earlier you understand that, the better your interpersonal relationship with single people will be.

3 Likes

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Nobody: 8:39am On Nov 05, 2015
married-single feud.

1 Like

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Femsyn(m): 8:41am On Nov 05, 2015
[author=akeensbussy post=39695794]The Issue of Singles and unmarried is not particular to our society alone. Even abroad, there are benefits that are accrue to you if you are married which singles/unmarried can not benefit from.

The reasons people believe you must marry when u are working or when u are of that age.

1. When you are married, the way you take decision before will change.

This has absolutey nothing to do with marriage. Yes, your itinerary might change, but most times, what you couldn't change as a single might be difficult to change when married.

2. Responsibility has come.
What responsibility? Tell that to a first born who still finances his younger ones and parents. Yes! he's single, but your responsibility as a married person isnt even close.

3. Waste of Resources will stop.
This is a personality issue. Marriage wont change it! arrrgh!!!

4. your excesses will be control by someone.
OMG! Check 3

5. Your Thinking will change.
What foolish thinking? its still down to personality. I have a friend who got married jobless, at first it took me as a surprise, but i kept quiet, because i'm not one of those Nigerian busy-bodies, who dont mind their business; so i wished him well. He currently lives in his in-law's house, the wife fends for the family (they now have a child), she also finances his education, PGD (graduated with a 3rd class). Recently (2years after), he said something to a friend, which made me realise why he got married when he did. He said, "hey bro, when are you getting married, don't you know there's time for marriage?" Then i asked him, "oh! you mean, there's a particular time a man MUST get married?". He said YES!

One question, has this friend of mine's thinking gotten better or worse?

6. You will be taking serious because you are now serious. etc
Watery point.

I may not be able to explain further but I believed those that are married will understand my points.

P.S.: WHILE YOU THINK ONLY MARRIED PEEPS WILL UNDERSTAND YOUR "VERY DIFFICULT" POINTS, I'M A MARRIED PERSON WHO BELIEVES IN, "LIVE AND LET LIVE"

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by abidex0z(m): 8:43am On Nov 05, 2015
oh I see..tis a free world mocking birds will surely snoop..
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by tivta(m): 8:47am On Nov 05, 2015
Kachisbarbie:

Which fact?
If 80% of married people you know are unhappy, then change your circle because something is really wrong somewhere.

Marriage is sweet, as at when due to the right person. I don't believe in pressurised marriage, neither do I believe in your statistics.

Why won't 80% of marriage be unhappy to you, when you go about looking at unhappy couples, to make yourself feel better and buttress your statistics.

If a married person says "singles (especially ladies) are unhappy" some of you would almost have cardiac arrest on top the matter. Argue constructively, albeit with facts. Don't fling preposterous statistics here and there...

Hello Mrs, can I ask a question? What are the benefits of marriage to a man? Especially when he is the only one paying all the bills? Cause I know from my folks that financial responsibility in marriage should be shared according to capacity, what pisses me of is how women of today leave all financial responsibility for the man. Eg, buying boxers for birthday but expecting a car? Please speak to your single friends not to make such mistakes

1 Like

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by jantavanta(m): 8:49am On Nov 05, 2015
Henrypraise:
Once u start workin, even ur enemy wants u to get married.

In my former office, I was given a 30days, in 1 week off, wen I tried to protest, I was told m not married n it shud remain like dat. Whereas d married once stay in d office doin almost notin.

Pen Robbery by officialised stealing of your entitlements. Take them to Industrial Court one day.
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Nobody: 8:50am On Nov 05, 2015
Not every lady you counter here is desperate or single. Ok.
You don't know my circle so don't tell me about changing it and keep your opinion to yourself.

Kachisbarbie:

Which fact?

1 Like

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by omoarole: 8:54am On Nov 05, 2015
lastpage:

Get a Husband and stop ranting here!

Yes, married women deserve a lot of respect and will always be accorded that due respect than on you over-aged "Agadi Nwanyi" that is playing around, jumping from one bed to another, all in the name of civilisation!

If you like, go to court and say you are not respected like a married woman.
Infact, you are considered not yet responsible, since you are yet to get married. undecided
Who are you "responsible towards"? Your wife? Your husband? Your children?

Oh, l forgot, you many boyfriends/Girlfriends, right?
Who will even put you in sensitive position when they know that you can "bail-out" at anytime since you have no "family responsibilities"?

Like l said, if e dey pain you, charge me to court.

Married and Proud of it. Just see my "ring finger"!
tongue tongue tongue tongue

Lastpage!

You're married, is your prerogative, not mine. I am single is my prerogative, not yours. And please, don't insult me by saying I am jumping from one bed to another. You could have been doing that when you were single. You could still be doing the same as a "married" person. That does not mean every single person must be lawless and loose like you. And even if they are, how does that concern you?
You are married and proud of it, good for you!!! Congratulations!! The crux of the post is that you don't have to be in my face about being single. Live your life, and let me live mine. I did not come to you for advice about how to live my life.
I often wonder why people do not get that into their understanding. You cannot judge other people by the way you live your life, or how you "expect" life to be lived. It just doesn't work that way!!!!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by emzila(m): 8:57am On Nov 05, 2015
ALL I KNOW IS THAT ABOUT 80% OF SONGLE, MATURED AND WORKING INDIVIDUALS ARE REALLY NOT OK BEING SINGLE, SO YOU CAN GO ON AND CONSOLE YOURSELF WHILE DECEIVING THE LADIES.
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by repogirl(f): 8:59am On Nov 05, 2015
Seriously, its quite annoying how some people take this marriage thing sef. What's the point of geting married if it becomes difficult to stay married.

As if marriage is the highest achievement a person can attain. Rubbish!

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

I Am Confused As A Father And As Husband / My Wife Gave Birth To SS, I’m AA And She Is AS – Husband / When Your Salary Is 40k And Your 17 Year-old Daughter Is Using Iphone 12

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.