Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,627 members, 7,813,063 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:06 AM

Islamists To Yar’adua: We Want Total Islam - PM News - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Islamists To Yar’adua: We Want Total Islam - PM News (13836 Views)

Saraki Wins First Battle At CCT Trial, PM News / Nigerians Blast Saraki For 'lying' That He Was Not Stoned - PM News / Buhari, Jimi Benson In Early Lead In Ikorodu - PM News (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Islamists To Yar’adua: We Want Total Islam - PM News by asha2: 5:35pm On Jul 28, 2009
Islamists To Yar’Adua: We Want Total Islam-PM News
Written by Adi Femi/Kaduna, with Agency report
Tuesday, 28 July 2009 09:10
As the religious uprising that erupted in Bauchi two days ago spreads to some other states in the North, Islamists have told the President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua-led Federal Government that their mission is to enthrone the practice of total Islam in states with large population of Muslims in Nigeria.

The Islamists said they reject western education and democracy in all the states in the North.

P.M.News gathered in Kaduna this morning that Ustaz Yusuf and prominent Islamic fundamentalists have vowed to mobilize their members in Borno, Kano, Adamawa, Sokoto, Zamfara and other states in the North to join the fight in Kaduna and other states in the North against what the “Jihadists” called “a fight against enemies of Islam”.

According to the group, Western education and democracy in Islam dominated states are anti-Islam which they will no longer tolerate.
•Some members of the Islamic fundamentalist group shot dead during a crossfire with the police in Bauchi.

Believing that the police were constantly used as a state instrument to suppress their agitations particularly in Bauchi where hey have a large number of adherents, the religious extremists moved to attack the Dutsen Tanshi police station yesterday. But the police proved they were battle ready when they took the extremists unawares, killing over 60 members of the group, while several others escaped with injuries and many were arrested.

The Bauchi State government has imposed a dusk to dawn curfew throughout the state. But threat of more attacks has thrown most residents of Bauchi and other states in the North into panic.

In Kaduna State for example, for fear of possible strike, some workers did not report at their offices for work, yesterday and today, while those who were present gathered in groups with apprehension, discussing their personal security, in the event of an attack by the group.

The Kaduna State police command has beefed up security in order to forestall possible attack by members of Boko Haram group, a faction of Islamic fundamentalist sect that has threatened to join in the fight against perceived enemies of Islam in Muslin dominated states.

Deputy Police Commissioner of Police in Kaduna State, Isaac Eke, told P.M.News that his men were fully prepared and battle ready to maintain peace and order in all parts of the state.

Eke stressed that the alleged threat from the leader of an Islam group, Ustaz Mohammed Yusuf to attack Bauchi State and other Muslim dominated states will not be ignored.

He warned religious leaders who made statements capable of breaching public peace to watch their utterances.

The religious crisis erupted in Bauchi on Sunday when a group called “Boko Haram” meaning “Education is sin” in their thousands stormed a police station and attacked it. More than 30 members of the group which had campaigned for imposition of Sharia on the 36 states in Nigeria were killed during the attack. Many of them were wounded and arrested.

A member of the group that was arrested, Abdullahi claimed that the mission of the group was to cleanse Nigeria of all anti-Islam people and install Sharia in all states, stressing that they decided to attack the police station in retaliation for the killings of its leaders.

Declaring 9 p.m. till 6 a.m. curfew later in the day, Bauchi State Governor, Mallam Isa Yuguda, described the Islamists as militants and urged all Nigerians to view the attack as a national problem.

Soldiers have set up road blocks and imposed dusk-to-dawn curfews in the worst affected areas of Yobe, Kano and Borno States.

There have been reports of youths armed with machetes and guns killing police officers and civilians at random.

Nigeria’s military and police have been ordered to use all means necessary to contain the violence, the BBC’s Caroline Duffield in Lagos reports.

Eyewitnesses told the BBC that police stations had been attacked and civilians pulled from their cars and shot dead.•Wares of the Islamic fundamentalists scattered on the ground in Bauchi. PHOTOS: AFP.

In the town worst affected by the violence, Maiduguri in Borno State, bodies of residents and militants have been piled outside the police station and in the streets.

A BBC reporter there counted 100 corpses.

Some of the militants are believed to be supporters of a preacher based in Maiduguri, Mohammed Yusuf, who says Western education is against Islamic teaching.

Nigeria’s police are understood to be searching for him.

Late on Monday night there were still reports of shooting in Maiduguri.

Earlier, witnesses told the BBC that a battle had raged for hours in Potiskum, Yobe State, where a police station and neighbouring buildings were reportedly razed.

There was also attacks on police in Wudil, some 20km (12 miles) from Kano, the largest city in northern Nigeria.

Security is said to have been particularly beefed up in Plateau State, to the south of Bauchi, where hundreds were killed in clashes between Muslims and Christians last year.

Mr Yusuf’s followers are known as Boko Haram, which means “Education is prohibited”. Youths began attacking police stations on Sunday after some of the group’s leaders were arrested.

Correspondents say Boko Haram has aroused suspicion for its recruitment of young men, and its belief that Western education, culture and science are sinful.

Reuters news agency reports that one of the group’s leaders, arrested in Kano State, said his followers were standing up for their faith.

“Even if I’m arrested, there are more to do the job,” Abdulmuni Ibrahim Mohammed is quoted as saying.

Sharia law is in place across northern Nigeria, but there is no history of al-Qaeda-linked violence in the country.

The country’s 150 million people are split almost equally between Muslims and Christians and the two groups generally live peacefully side by side, despite occasional outbreaks of communal violence

Re: Islamists To Yar’adua: We Want Total Islam - PM News by DanWaziri(m): 5:52pm On Jul 28, 2009
As usual the "moderates" of Islam are quiet. Where is the condemnation? Muslims worldwide are quick to tell you, Islam is peaceful and these extremist are hijacking the ideas and teachings of the Prophet. So they attacks institutions of what we all think and hope is a secular government by killing policemen, burning buildings and of course what "religious" conflict in Nigeria is complete without Christians murdered and a few churches burned for good measure. I have stopped crying for my country.
Re: Islamists To Yar’adua: We Want Total Islam - PM News by jimmysho(m): 6:00pm On Jul 28, 2009
it is time naija find its course as in the then soviet union
Re: Islamists To Yar’adua: We Want Total Islam - PM News by WilyWily: 6:13pm On Jul 28, 2009
Nothing like Moderates in Islam, except if u want to rewrite that their Devilish book called Koran,

1 Like

Re: Islamists To Yar’adua: We Want Total Islam - PM News by bgees(m): 6:34pm On Jul 28, 2009
yes , islam is a peaceful religion. its just a shame it is frequently hijacked, and i wished these northern hordes from sokoto to jos weren'yt part of nigeria.
Re: Islamists To Yar’adua: We Want Total Islam - PM News by Fhemmmy: 6:36pm On Jul 28, 2009
As long as the Total Muslim is left in the North, that is aiight.
But as far as the south is concerned, people should be allowed to be what they wanna be
Re: Islamists To Yar’adua: We Want Total Islam - PM News by bawomolo(m): 6:39pm On Jul 28, 2009
there are non muslims living in the North you know.

the federal government has a secular constitution. This would set a dangerous precedent.
Re: Islamists To Yar’adua: We Want Total Islam - PM News by Nobody: 6:40pm On Jul 28, 2009
And what are the leaders of Islam saying about this?
Re: Islamists To Yar’adua: We Want Total Islam - PM News by Nobody: 6:42pm On Jul 28, 2009
bgees:

yes , islam is a peaceful religion. its just a shame it is frequently hijacked, and i wished these northern hordes from sokoto to jos weren'yt part of nigeria.

err i think its about time you removed your head from the sands of denial. Islam from Nigeria to Somalia to Sudan, Pakistan, Iraq, Gaza, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Lebanon . . . is this the only religion on earth? Pls show me where this "peaceful" islam is being practiced and why its the only religion everyone loves to "hijack".
Re: Islamists To Yar’adua: We Want Total Islam - PM News by bawomolo(m): 6:44pm On Jul 28, 2009
72 virgins is too enticing to pass up.
Re: Islamists To Yar’adua: We Want Total Islam - PM News by WilyWily: 6:47pm On Jul 28, 2009
OMO IBO:

And what are the leaders of Islam saying about this?
Nothing they can say, those Talibans are doing the will of Allah.
Allah will Curse them if they attempt to go against the will of Allah
Re: Islamists To Yar’adua: We Want Total Islam - PM News by bgees(m): 6:52pm On Jul 28, 2009
davidylan:

err i think its about time you removed your head from the sands of denial. Islam from Nigeria to Somalia to Sudan, Pakistan, Iraq, Gaza, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Lebanon . . . is this the only religion on earth? Pls show me where this "peaceful" islam is being practiced and why its the only religion everyone loves to "hijack".
what about kuwait, the uae, oman and bahrain?
all the places u mentioned are not economically vibrant countries, i believe poverty and deprivation breeds violence. osama and his followers and admirers are just full of hate and they have found the right tool in these places u mentioned.
Re: Islamists To Yar’adua: We Want Total Islam - PM News by asha80(m): 6:53pm On Jul 28, 2009
Re: Islamists To Yar’adua: We Want Total Islam - PM News by WilyWily: 7:01pm On Jul 28, 2009
asha80, Gooooood picture i like it if they are Northern Moslems, they look like dead Goats.
Re: Islamists To Yar’adua: We Want Total Islam - PM News by bawomolo(m): 7:04pm On Jul 28, 2009
that's insensitive.
Re: Islamists To Yar’adua: We Want Total Islam - PM News by McKren(m): 7:05pm On Jul 28, 2009
WilyWily:

asha80, Gooooood picture i like it if they are Northern Moslems, they look like dead Goats.

Some of these comments are of no benefit to the South

We have our Southern brothers living up there and are always vulnerable in the face of crisis like these

I just wish folks will guard their comments sometimes

what we should be doing is putting pressure on the Government to investigate and prosecute the kingpins and sponsors amongst the political class.
Re: Islamists To Yar’adua: We Want Total Islam - PM News by asha80(m): 7:09pm On Jul 28, 2009
McKren:

Some of these comments are of no benefit to the South

We have our Southern brothers living up there and are always vulnerable in the face of crisis like these

I just wish folks will guard their comments sometimes

what we should be doing is putting pressure on the Government to investigate and prosecute the kingpins and sponsors amongst the political class.

As if it will yield anything undecided
Re: Islamists To Yar’adua: We Want Total Islam - PM News by asha80(m): 7:10pm On Jul 28, 2009
WilyWily:

shocked
Re: Islamists To Yar’adua: We Want Total Islam - PM News by Nobody: 7:11pm On Jul 28, 2009
bgees:

what about kuwait, the uae, oman and bahrain?
all the places u mentioned are  not economically vibrant countries, i believe poverty and deprivation breeds violence. osama and his followers and admirers are just full of hate and they have found the right tool in these places u mentioned.

those "nations" (fiefdoms to be honest) are NOT peaceful either . . .

and pls enough of this lie that poverty and deprivation is the problem . . . why is Haiti not exporting its own brand of terrorists? Osama and co are not poor!
Re: Islamists To Yar’adua: We Want Total Islam - PM News by Kobojunkie: 7:15pm On Jul 28, 2009
The people in the pictures are flesh and blood like your children and your mothers and fathers. Please stand up against this nonsense rather than think that it is not of your concern since it is all in the north.
Re: Islamists To Yar’adua: We Want Total Islam - PM News by Nobody: 7:17pm On Jul 28, 2009
Kobojunkie:

The people in the pictures are flesh and blood like your children and your mothers and fathers. Please stand up against this nonsense rather than think that it is not of your concern since it is all in the north.

we are tired of "standing up against this nonsense" since 1966. We just want to stand for our families and region this time around. Let the muslim and northern leaders including Yar Adua stand up to the nonsense themselves.
Re: Islamists To Yar’adua: We Want Total Islam - PM News by McKren(m): 7:17pm On Jul 28, 2009
asha 80:

As if it will yield anything undecided

The status quo has not guaranteed the security of Southerners in the North.

I have seen attacks in the North and reprisal attacks in the South since I was born and yet the situation has neither reduced nor guaranteed the security of Southerners in the North.

each time we celebrate this babarism or try to retaliate it  we end up justifying the babarism and going into the gutter with these extremists

what we have to do is responding in a way that shows that this babarism has no place in the 21st century. We can only do that by ensuring that the fools and their sponsors are tried in the law court. Governors in the South can also send a stronger message by beafing up security around Hausas in their State to prevent any reprisal attacks.
Re: Islamists To Yar’adua: We Want Total Islam - PM News by bilymuse: 7:18pm On Jul 28, 2009
I m fed up
Re: Islamists To Yar’adua: We Want Total Islam - PM News by asha80(m): 7:19pm On Jul 28, 2009
Kobojunkie:

lwkmd.Do you know what they are fighting for?Chinekee see political correctness  shocked
Re: Islamists To Yar’adua: We Want Total Islam - PM News by Kobojunkie: 7:20pm On Jul 28, 2009
What about the many southerners in the north? What about the innocent northerners who would rather have peace as you claim you want for your family?
Re: Islamists To Yar’adua: We Want Total Islam - PM News by Kobojunkie: 7:21pm On Jul 28, 2009
asha 80:

lwkmd.Do you know what they are fighting for?Chinekee see political correctness  shocked

This has nothing to do with being politically correct. . . . it has more to do with practising what you profess first and putting hate or issues you have with their tribe or religion to the side. These are human lives being wasted here. What would your Chineke want you to do? Continue to edge them on?? Come oN!!! This is why I envy people in the west , they seem to have more human feeling than all our african brothers who claim one religion or another .
Re: Islamists To Yar’adua: We Want Total Islam - PM News by cold(m): 7:23pm On Jul 28, 2009
Another "positive" contribution of Islam to Nigeria cry
Re: Islamists To Yar’adua: We Want Total Islam - PM News by WilyWily: 7:25pm On Jul 28, 2009
Moslem can Kill Moslem, no problem
Re: Islamists To Yar’adua: We Want Total Islam - PM News by asha80(m): 7:29pm On Jul 28, 2009
Kobojunkie:

This has nothing to do with being politically correct. . . . it has more to do with practising what you profess first and putting hate or issues you have with their tribe or religion to the side. These are human lives being wasted here. What would your Chineke want you to do? Continue to edge them on?? Come oN!!! This is why I envy people in the west , they seem to have more human feeling than all our african brothers who claim one religion or another .

I am sorry to say this but you are very funny with this statemnent.These people are figthing to islamize the whole nigeria and you are saying that we should support them?When the people of niger delta were being mowed though they were on there own did i see you making any statement here?

They should have known what they where getting themselves to.Go and tell any christian that has stayed in the north or southerner that has lived there what you are telling me and watch there there reactions.

Please give any account that might be similar to something that has happened in US?
Re: Islamists To Yar’adua: We Want Total Islam - PM News by Kobojunkie: 7:34pm On Jul 28, 2009
And reasoning is turned upside down in a second.

What particular line of my post did you pull the quote below from?

asha 80:

I am sorry to say this but you are very funny with this statemnent.These people are figthing to islamize the whole nigeria and you are saying that we should support them?

Is it that you cannot pull yourself apart from your issues for the religion and region long enough to see where edging them on could be considered inhumane?

What has delta to do with this? And should you because they did nothing in that case, demand the same happen to them? Jeeezzzz!!! I am more afraid of people with your mindset.

What makes you think you are any better than them then if you are that way about this?
Re: Islamists To Yar’adua: We Want Total Islam - PM News by ow11(m): 7:35pm On Jul 28, 2009
Gen. Sarkin Bello!! Your presence is needed in Bauchi. . . . Go and repeat your Gbaramatu heroics. . . .Nama shobiri
Re: Islamists To Yar’adua: We Want Total Islam - PM News by asha80(m): 7:38pm On Jul 28, 2009
Kobojunkie:

And reasoning is turned upside down in a second.

What particular line of my post did you pull the quote below from?

Is it that you cannot pull yourself apart from your issues for the religion and region long enough to see where edging them on could be considered inhumane?

What has delta to do with this? And should you because they did nothing in that case, demand the same happen to them? Jeeezzzz!!! I am more afraid of people with your mindset.

What makes you think you are any better than them then if you are that way about this?

grin Enjoy.I will think whatever i want to think. grin

Islamize nigeria my foot  cheesy Naija for life  shocked  cheesy Western education is pure evil  lipsrsealed Asha 80 please do not edge them on     tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

60 Lawyers Ask Court To Jail DSS DG For Disobeying Order On Emefiele’s Release / Peter Obi Attends Cutix PLC 40th Anniversary / President Buhari Postpones Dinner With Lawmakers For Fear Of Boycott- Punch News

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.