Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,996 members, 7,810,775 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:12 PM

Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? (58646 Views)

Coronavirus: Men Develop A New And Safer Way Of Greeting / 7 Reasons Why Most Nigerian Ladies Lose Shape After Marriage / 5 Reasons Why Most Nigerian Guys Have Body Odour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by jimi4us: 12:13am On Oct 20, 2016
havennie:
Thank u for this thread Op.
For me, any guy with a protruding stomach that comes my way in the name of toasting me, i turn him down immediately, i dont want to know about his money or family name. I just get irritated at the sight of it seriously.
you're still a small girl, don't worry when the time come for marriage we shall see. Now is your turn to do shakara . By the time you hit 35 dwarfs will look like C. Ronaldo to you.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by jokerphilics(m): 12:14am On Oct 20, 2016
buffalowings:
Be careful what you wish for

Hunger can make u develop six pack

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by airsaylongcon: 12:24am On Oct 20, 2016
havennie:

From your moniker, we can tell one of the reasons for your pot belly. Stop drinking too much, get ur lazy ass up and hit the gym. Health is wealth.

I hope when u have a kid you won't be upset that your man is running after young fitter girlz
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by ianSweet(f): 12:35am On Oct 20, 2016
femi4:
Pot belly and proud!

if its hereditary.....you can't stop it

Well u are wrong. It's not possible for pot belly to be hereditary. No scientific or medical reason or condition like that.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by Africanpride: 12:38am On Oct 20, 2016
Ask your papa the question
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by ianSweet(f): 12:40am On Oct 20, 2016
lifestyle1:
It's still better for a man to have a pot belly than ladies having grin

How can u say that when women get pregnant, give birth and nurse children? This will naturally affect their body shapes, but nevertheless it is not an excuse for them to regain their shape later on, but at least they have a genuine reason for the distortion of their natural shape.
What reason do men have other than excessive drinking, laziness to hit the gym and improper dieting?

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by Oseniade(m): 12:42am On Oct 20, 2016
I once read a report that itvis a physiological adaptation for men to accumulate fat in their stomach region unlike women who accumulate in theirs in their thigh, arm etc. Since women naturally conceive; nature has found a way of preventing the accumulation of fat in the stomach region(except of course the flaccidity of the abdominal muscles as a result of pregnancy when eventually delivered). It was even alleged that ladies who undergo hysterectomy will have pot-belly like their male counterpart. In essence, it is a natural adaptation once read a report that it is a physiological adaptation for men to accumulate fat in their stomach region unlike women who accumulate in theirs in their thigh, arm etc. Since women naturally conceive; nature has found a way of preventing the accumulation of fat in the stomach region(except of course the flaccidity of the abdominal muscles as a result of pregnancy when eventually delivered). It was even alleged that ladies who undergo hysterectomy will have pot-belly like their male counterpart. In essence, it is a natural adaptation.I once read a report that it is a physiological adaptation for men to accumulate fat in their stomach region unlike women who accumulate in theirs in their thigh, arm etc. Since women naturally conceive; nature has found a way of preventing the accumulation of fat in the stomach region(except of course the flaccidity of the abdominal muscles as a result of pregnancy when eventually delivered). It was even alleged that ladies who undergo hysterectomy will have pot-belly like their male counterpart. In essence, it is a natural adaptation
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by Nobody: 12:43am On Oct 20, 2016
havennie:
For me, any guy with a protruding stomach that comes my way in the name of toasting me, i turn him down immediately, i dont want to know about his money or family name. I just get irritated at the sight of it seriously.
Hahahahaha
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by toshmann(m): 12:45am On Oct 20, 2016
Too much garri, too much beer, zero exercize.
Nigerians who dont have a car are less likely to have pot belly, bc they have to do a lot of walking, which is a form of exercize.

When I was a British student, i had no car, and moved about with my bicycle. The i moved to the US, a nice car, parked in my garage, drives me straight to my workplace garage grin. Zero exercize. Body come change. grin

I had to hit the gymn, it wasnt pretty sad

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by Nobody: 12:45am On Oct 20, 2016
ianSweet:

How can u say that when women get pregnant, give birth and nurse children? This will naturally affect their body shapes, but nevertheless it is not an excuse for them to regain their shape later on, but at least they have a genuine reason for the distortion of their natural shape.
What reason do men have other than excessive drinking, laziness to hit the gym and improper dieting?
Those are still genuine reasons.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by franxalive(m): 12:51am On Oct 20, 2016
gentlegenius:
1. Lack of exercise 2. Too much consumption of beer(Gulder). 3. Consuming too much food(carbohydrates). 4. Sedentary life style.
you nailed it...!
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by Antoeni(m): 12:52am On Oct 20, 2016
indiscipline in life style,what dey eat,drink,no exercise,

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by Sirmuel1(m): 12:54am On Oct 20, 2016
I dey find pot belly, you dey talk something else
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by tonikusi(m): 12:55am On Oct 20, 2016
Eating late at night its the cause ...lose pot belly fats .. http://www.ghpage.com/lose-weight-naturally-in-ghana/
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by Henz24(m): 12:55am On Oct 20, 2016
rawpadgin:
drinking beer is not always the cause of protruded belle

there is hardly a day i don't take 2-3 bottles of Goldberg

but my packs are still very much intact

my nigga
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by afroLAD: 12:56am On Oct 20, 2016
2 wraps of eba and 11 pieces of meat everyday for 6 years

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by adconline(m): 12:56am On Oct 20, 2016
Evidence of good living. Naija mentality of the rich indulging in unhealthy and glutinous life style. Rich and middle class folks go to fast foods to eat while poor folks go to the local fresh market and farms to buy the healthiest foods.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by havennie(f): 1:02am On Oct 20, 2016
jimi4us:
you're still a small girl, don't worry when the time come for marriage we shall see. Now is your turn to do shakara . By the time you hit 35 dwarfs will look like C. Ronaldo to you.

As much as i wanna get back at u, i want to admit that this comment of yours is hillarious. grin
What if i tell u that i am engaged to a handsome six-packs and financially stable guy? Likes attract themselves. I am not a lazy gluttonic pot belly lady, so i couldn't have settled for less. So Bleep off my mentions and get your lazy pot belly ass to the gym.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by havennie(f): 1:05am On Oct 20, 2016
Hades2016:
some will say its money, some will say its beer , some will say coz they just got married newly, some will say its happiness .. But i call it laziness, naija men of now adays are so lazy they don't hit the Gym at all all they know is to drink beer, chop food like nama and go to the other room angry sad

Help us tell them o. See the way they are attacking me all over just because i said i cannot date a pot belly man.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by justmenoni: 1:06am On Oct 20, 2016
Op, stop it already!!! What about some ladies who are not married and who haven't had kids and yet they have pot bellies far bigger and worst than those of men Oh don't give me that crap that they're on contraception. Hence they must grow pot bellies!!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by anonimi: 1:23am On Oct 20, 2016
Billyonaire:
Absolute good point. I developed pot belly and my wife hated it, once she entered the country she took me jogging at the beach and on the treadmill. Trust me, my bones begin dey pain me. Now, Every part of my body don get shape, but small stomach still remain but is not showing much when I dress.

Guys, I have tried to lose the excess 4kg that supposed to keep me on the right metrics on my BMI but e no gree go. After much research, I realize that exercise doesnt help in weight loss much, it only makes you fit.

What I can say from my 1yr of research is, Sugar is the main cause of obesity. Sucrose will make your waist line heavy like cow, but fructose does the worst, it fills your belle and intestine and that is the one that causes BP most.

Steer clear of sugar and alcohol, and go on a vegan challenge.

As for all those babes wey dey form, to loose pot belle can take a year oh. And for those guys wey think say exercise go help, you are on a long thing.

I eat once in 2 days now, I no come understand what I work so damn hard for, when I can not even drink much alcohol or even eat better soup with plenty meat and eba for fear of obesity. Na so so green veges and 1 piece of fish dem dey serve me for house. I don tire.

I come vex cos of this, if I wan carry girls na 5 or 7. All of them go naked dey dance around me. At least, na the only enjoyment wey I fit do without gaining weight.

You can use your remaining money for charity focused on education and health, for instance.
That is what oyinbo billionaires like Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerbaerg etc are doing so their race stays above us, not so
There can be so much satisfaction from that beyond looking rotund like an overfed man whose women are rotating between the kitchen, living room and the other room. grin grin

[img]http://www2.ed.gov/nclb/overview/intro/presentation/Slide1.jpg[/img]

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2855404_fbimg1442168436118_jpeg3abf4555427b1803302e6b4f3ffbbb15

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by DEBUENTONO: 1:24am On Oct 20, 2016
Well that is the new requirement to win lucrative contracts... The bigger the pot, the larger the contract. Tell all lazy pot belly guys to put their belly to good use
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by Ndipe(m): 1:27am On Oct 20, 2016
People wrongly attribute it to evidence of good living, so they try as much as possible to have one by consuming excessive bottles of beer. ..

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by modsRbastard: 1:31am On Oct 20, 2016
It is totally wrong for OP to wanna shove her ideology down everybody's throat. Variety is the spice of life.

Tho I have my early morning routine...i like to set a target.

30 slow push up X 5 set
60 calv push up X 5 set
30 bench stroke X 5 set
30 sit up X 5 set

Note: I'm not wanting to be all ripped but fit. real result are achieved when you push harder the moment your body tells you to stop, cos your practically tearing up some muscles which your body later repairs. I always try to hit my target but most times I don't make all but it's all good.
Oh!.. My only beer is Guinness extra stout, I don't care what you're drinking if you're my host.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by ibolomo(m): 1:39am On Oct 20, 2016
Nateben:
Nna, see quession........... undecided
Abeg, where do you people get these mems from naw. Loop me in
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by ibolomo(m): 1:41am On Oct 20, 2016
havennie:
babe, talk true, including Aliko Dangote?
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by Ishilove: 1:43am On Oct 20, 2016
anonimi:

You can use your remaining money for charity focused on education and health, for instance.
That is what oyinbo billionaires like Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerbaerg etc are doing so their race stays above us, not so
There can be so much satisfaction from that beyond looking rotund like an overfed man whose women are rotating between the kitchen, living room and the other room. grin grin

Gates and Mark are Billionaires.. The dude you quoted is a Billyonaire. Dem no dey the same category grin

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by mixta140: 1:46am On Oct 20, 2016
They don't care about exercise when they are growing financially.... for more fantastic news visit mixta14..com
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by AreaFada2: 1:47am On Oct 20, 2016
This is a great topic.

But all I see here is blame game.

Food, lifestyle, sweet drinks/alcohol and genetics play a role.

Occupations have changed drastically since the last 50 years. But food has remained highly calorific.

Around 1966, a large number of Nigerian men were still farmers: cocoa, rubber, palm tree, yam, millet, rice. Others were hunters, palm wine tappers, etc. These jobs burnt much energy. In fact most had a negative energy balance, expending more than they took in.

Food has largely remained same: eba, pounded yam, rice & yam, all are white carbohydrate and unhealthy for sedentary lifestyles.

Even the city dwellers then did not eat too much sweet unhealthy food like snacks, burgers, sharwama, etc.

What women have forgotten is that women, depending partly on genetics, have the natural option of storing fats in their butt & thighs, in addition to their trunk. Thigh & butt fat might even make them look more attractive to some men. Whereas men have only one option: truncal fat deposit, that people criticize a lot.

There needs to be more awareness about the risks of belly fat and encouragement to reduce it given by health officials. Personal responsibility is needed most though.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by Bollinger(m): 2:31am On Oct 20, 2016
ianSweet:
Yes, many Nigerian women develop a pot belly stomach too as soon as they start getting pregnant and giving birth. A good reason for that.

What i don't really understand is why you find many Nigerian men with protruding stomachs, the most annoying part is seeing young men who are just in their thirties and some not even yet married with such protruding bellies. Do you guys get pregnant and deliver babies too? I mean how hard is it to go to the gym regularly and ensure you keep fit?
Some stark lazy ones, once they just get married, they start ordering their wives to pound yam for them every night, eating and boozing carelessly without control.

I am not excusing our women on this too, all am saying is that women have good reasons why they loose their shape after marriage, but men have no goddamn excuse.

There is no good reason for a man or woman to have pot belly. It is a sign of not giving a phuck about your appearance or looks when you let yourself go physically. It is just too easy to look Good and stay healthy. All it takes is eating right and using 30 minutes of your time to exercise daily. Check out my profile. You will see a beautiful woman staring at you. My wife. She was 40 years old this year when that picture was taken and she's given birth to 3 kids. She puts in quality time everyday to ensure she keeps me interested and herself healthy. If you don't take care of something, that thing will leave you.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by diva90: 2:42am On Oct 20, 2016
Too much beer, bad diet, lack of exercise

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

I Just Discovered I Have Hiv / Pls I Don't Understand What's On My Face Anymore / 18-year-old Nigerian Girl Dies 3 Weeks After Her Wedding [Photo]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.