Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,948 members, 7,814,218 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:15 AM

Does God Exist? [let's Switch Sides] - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does God Exist? [let's Switch Sides] (9091 Views)

Does God Exist? A Debate / Expose About Israel And Palestine - What You Need To Know Before Taking Sides / Solid Proof: God Exist And He Is Very Real. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does God Exist? [let's Switch Sides] by johnydon22(m): 7:21pm On Nov 09, 2016
sonofluc1fer:
Should be fun. I will be theist.

i'm really eager to hear the arguments from both sides..
Re: Does God Exist? [let's Switch Sides] by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:28pm On Nov 09, 2016
GrizzlyBear:
I don't think my rational mind would be able to conjure a tenable argument in favor of theism that wouldn't be patently irrational and reeking with logical flaws and rankling sentiments, but I'll try.

Your arguments are usually poor so I don't expect anything less when you switch to theism . But first ,you really need to understand how diversified theism is .

krattoss:
As per logic, no being can prove gods existence... Thy all depend on faith to prove his existence
Beginning your sentence with "As per logic " doesn't necessarily mean that whatever follows suit makes any sense

1 Like

Re: Does God Exist? [let's Switch Sides] by sonmvayina(m): 7:51pm On Nov 09, 2016
I really dont know where to argue from..i believe in a higher power that is responsible for both good and evil from mans perspective..this higher power is not a man so it cant tell if an act is good or evil,, that was why i was furnished with a brain so i can make practical and logical decision in whatever situation i find myself..

My contributuon to this debate therefore, is that: since this power those not have a mouth to talk or hand to move things..it might just be nature at work. And no higher power or God..

1 Like

Re: Does God Exist? [let's Switch Sides] by CoolUsername: 8:11pm On Nov 09, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Your arguments are usually poor so I don't expect anything less when you switch to theism . But first ,you really need to understand how diversified theism is .

Beginning your sentence with "As per logic " doesn't necessarily mean that whatever follows suit makes any sense

Man can you not do this? You're completely missing the point of the thread. But don't worry, any time prehistoric interdimensional portals are brought up, I'm sure you'll have some insight.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does God Exist? [let's Switch Sides] by johnydon22(m): 8:15pm On Nov 09, 2016
CoolUsername:

Man can you not do this? You're completely missing the point of the thread. But don't worry, any time prehistoric interdimensional portals are brought up, I'm sure you'll have some insight.

Hahahahaha Tower of Babel level. . . . Anyway simply ignore and get on with the business of the thread.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does God Exist? [let's Switch Sides] by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:15pm On Nov 09, 2016
CoolUsername:

Man can you not do this? You're completely missing the point of the thread.

I understand the point of the thread and I've made a germane response , counter it if you can , it'd be fun though . See first page

But don't worry, any time prehistoric interdimensional portals are brought up, I'm sure you'll have some insight.

aha aha

undecided
Re: Does God Exist? [let's Switch Sides] by CoolUsername: 8:27pm On Nov 09, 2016
johnydon22:

Hahahahaha Tower of Babel level. . . . Anyway simply ignore and get on with the business of the thread.

Okay I'll be a theist for this one.
Re: Does God Exist? [let's Switch Sides] by femzysticks(m): 8:37pm On Nov 09, 2016
To them that do not believe, no proof is possible...

You are not asking to learn
You just want to argue

My only question...

What happened to your faith
Re: Does God Exist? [let's Switch Sides] by 4kings: 8:38pm On Nov 09, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

I understand the point of the thread and I've made a germane response , counter it if you can , it'd be fun though . See first page
You are to argue in favor of atheism not attack it. undecided
Re: Does God Exist? [let's Switch Sides] by johnydon22(m): 8:40pm On Nov 09, 2016
femzysticks:
To them that do not believe, no proof is possible...

You are not asking to learn
You just want to argue

My only question...

What happened to your faith

Faith is basically something you apply in order to believe something you know you'd ordinarily not believe..

1 Like

Re: Does God Exist? [let's Switch Sides] by johnydon22(m): 8:42pm On Nov 09, 2016
4kings:

No you may either choose to switch or remain where you are, again "attacking atheism" is not an argument for God(s) existence. . . Personal attacks on atheists or mockery is not an argument.
Re: Does God Exist? [let's Switch Sides] by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:43pm On Nov 09, 2016
4kings:

I did argue in favor of atheism . grin
Re: Does God Exist? [let's Switch Sides] by wiegraf: 8:48pm On Nov 09, 2016
Do you believe this universe can be modeled as a computer program?

If not, why not?
Re: Does God Exist? [let's Switch Sides] by femzysticks(m): 8:50pm On Nov 09, 2016
johnydon22:

Faith is basically something you apply in order to believe something you know you'd ordinarily not believe..

Tell me why you think God does not exist...
Re: Does God Exist? [let's Switch Sides] by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:09pm On Nov 09, 2016
johnydon22:

No you may either choose to switch or remain where you are, again "attacking atheism" is not an argument for God(s) existence. . . Personal attacks on atheists or mockery is not an argument.

Exactly ! Same with attacking salvation , prayer , creation story in the bible or in other religious texts , schisms in religion , faith , religious practices and other strawman arguments you and your ilk make are not arguments against God's existence . The deists who also acknowledge the existence of God can make those arguments too and even fellow Christians can . See ? This is why I always say you guys have very ludicrous arguments . You guys don't even understand what exactly you are arguing against !

5 Likes

Re: Does God Exist? [let's Switch Sides] by ValentineMary(m): 9:14pm On Nov 09, 2016
wiegraf:

If not, why not?
The universe had to be molded by a designer who is the first onus to begin everything. His manifestation is seen in his creation.
Re: Does God Exist? [let's Switch Sides] by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:18pm On Nov 09, 2016
wiegraf:

If not, why not?

Aren't they expatiated propositions supporting this already
Re: Does God Exist? [let's Switch Sides] by 4kings: 9:25pm On Nov 09, 2016
wiegraf:

If not, why not?
Simulation requires knowledge and understanding of the environment.
If the totality of processes and workings of the universe is known then it can be modeled or simulated as a computer program.
Re: Does God Exist? [let's Switch Sides] by CoolUsername: 9:26pm On Nov 09, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Exactly ! Same with attacking salvation , prayer , creation story in the bible or in other religious texts , schisms in religion , faith , religious practices and other strawman arguments you and your ilk make are not arguments against God's existence . The deists who also acknowledge the existence of God can make those arguments too and even fellow Christians can . See ? This is why I always say you guys have very ludicrous arguments . You guys don't even understand what exactly you are arguing against !

I believe that atheists use it as a way of diminishing the power of God. They want to show that there isn't any noticeable difference between atheists and theists.

They are right to some extent. But the people that they attack are just religious people. Religion is limited but Christianity is a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

I hope they repent before judgment comes.

Soooooo, how did I do?

2 Likes

Re: Does God Exist? [let's Switch Sides] by wiegraf: 9:38pm On Nov 09, 2016
4kings:

Simulation requires knowledge and understanding of the environment.
If the totality of processes and workings of the universe is known then it can be modeled or simulated as a computer program.

Do you believe they can be known?

Perhaps a better question would be "what would stop them from being known?", as if they can't be understood then that would imply something supernatural, yes? Sone thing that natural laws cannot explain, yes?
Re: Does God Exist? [let's Switch Sides] by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:43pm On Nov 09, 2016
CoolUsername:

I believe that atheists use it as a way of diminishing the power of God. They want to show that there isn't any noticeable difference between atheists and theists.

The major difference between deism and theism is the immanence of God- his divine presence which makes him intervene in the affairs of man or the functionality of the whole system . This means that theism took a step further . Theism like deism see intelligence , design complexity of nature as evidence for God . Therefore criticizing the belief in an immanent God does not in away diminish the power of God .

They are right to some extent.

Its petty, its puerile . They have no reasonable argument against God's existence . All we do is counter attacks on religious beliefs and practices - these (opprobrium of religious beliefs ) do not impugn the existence of God .

But the people that they attack are just religious people.

Have you noticed that atheists shy away from arguing with the deists because there are no religious beliefs to deride when they are boxed into a corner , pummeled intellectually

Religion is limited but Christianity is a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

Anecdotal evidence remains the best to prove that one can have a personal relationship with God

I hope they repent before judgment comes.

I hope your opening line on judgement day will be this joke - it won't be funny

Soooooo, how did I do?

First page bro , first page

2 Likes

Re: Does God Exist? [let's Switch Sides] by 4kings: 9:52pm On Nov 09, 2016
wiegraf:

Do you believe they can be known?

Perhaps a better question would be "what would stop them from being known?", as if they can't be understood then that would imply something supernatural, yes? Sone thing that natural laws cannot explain, yes?
Nope. Something that cant be explained yet doesn't make it supernatural. Just like how the primitive men thought rain or famine came about.
Laws are derived from observations and understanding made on phenomenon with verifiable facts. Lack of understanding does not equate 'Supernatural'.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does God Exist? [let's Switch Sides] by wiegraf: 10:28pm On Nov 09, 2016
4kings:

Nope. Something that cant be explained yet doesn't make it supernatural. Just like how the primitive men thought rain or famine came about.
Laws are derived from observations and understanding made on phenomenon with verifiable facts. Lack of understanding does not equate 'Supernatural'.

Then we are in agreement. All must follow some natural law, else they'd be truly supernatural, and that would be impossible, no?

If they follow natural laws then that would mean they could be modeled, correct?

Goot

So, for instance, this universe could be modeled as a computer program. If this is correct, exactly why would you choose to believe that this universe isn't a simulation?

Put another way, in the future we've built machines capable of simulating galaxies and whatnot, and people are playing around with them for whatever reason. Projects, maybe even fun and games like the Sims 3030, whatever. My question is if that's possible, then exactly why wouldn't you believe this universe is a simulation as well. Thinking otherwise would plenty shortsighted and self centered, no?

Just as a religious would be plenty selfish to assume this universe was created just for him, it would be plenty self centered to assume all other universes are simulations save for this one, no?
Re: Does God Exist? [let's Switch Sides] by 4kings: 10:47pm On Nov 09, 2016
wiegraf:

Then we are in agreement. All must follow some natural law, else they'd be truly supernatural, and that would be impossible, no?

If they follow natural laws then that would mean they could be modeled, correct?

Goot

So, for instance, this universe could be modeled as a computer program. If this is correct, exactly why would you choose to believe that this universe isn't a simulation?

Put another way, in the future we've built machines capable of simulating galaxies and whatnot, and people are playing around with them for whatever reason. Projects, maybe even fun and games like the Sims 3030, whatever. My question is if that's possible, then exactly why wouldn't you believe this universe is a simulation as well. Thinking otherwise would plenty shortsighted and self centered, no?

Just as a religious would be plenty selfish to assume this universe was created just for him, it would be plenty self centered to assume all other universes are simulations save for this one, no?
I don't think this can be known for sure, except we finally discover the origin of the universe.
Re: Does God Exist? [let's Switch Sides] by 4kings: 10:51pm On Nov 09, 2016
johnydon22, what's your opinion on the universe being a simulation.
Re: Does God Exist? [let's Switch Sides] by johnydon22(m): 11:14pm On Nov 09, 2016
4kings:
johnydon22, what's your opinion on the universe being a simulation.

99% of the atom is empty space, which means things are no more realer than they seem. . . everything in the universe is 99% empty space, the reality we witness does not even amount to 1% of what is since all that is is space with a pinch of matter.

This leads some physicists to speculate that there is a possibility that our 3dimensional plain might actually be a hologram of a 2Dimensional reality.

The actual reality is the 2d while this is just a holographic projection of that reality for a 3d effect.

which means that it may yet be a simulation or not - who knows?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does God Exist? [let's Switch Sides] by wiegraf: 11:26pm On Nov 09, 2016
4kings:

I don't think this can be known for sure, except we finally discover the origin of the universe.

If the universe were a simulation it could be rigged in a way that we'd never be able to determine its origin, but that's besides the (immediate) point

Simply: wouldn't it be illogical to assume this universe isn't a simulation given the odds in the scenario I gave above?
Re: Does God Exist? [let's Switch Sides] by GoodMuyis(m): 11:43pm On Nov 09, 2016
Can you See What I Wrote Below
THREAD ABANDONED
ehn Can You see
Re: Does God Exist? [let's Switch Sides] by 4kings: 12:20am On Nov 10, 2016
wiegraf:

If the universe were a simulation it could be rigged in a way that we'd never be able to determine its origin, but that's besides the (immediate) point

Simply: wouldn't it be illogical to assume this universe isn't a simulation given the odds in the scenario I gave above?
I said it can't be known for sure.
Re: Does God Exist? [let's Switch Sides] by wiegraf: 12:42am On Nov 10, 2016
4kings:

I said it can't be known for sure.

You aren't answering the question I'm asking
Re: Does God Exist? [let's Switch Sides] by LordNislaz(m): 12:43am On Nov 10, 2016
Another dumb thread. I wouldn't expect anything else from someone who believes he shares ancestry with apelike beings
Re: Does God Exist? [let's Switch Sides] by CoolUsername: 1:57am On Nov 10, 2016
LordNislaz:
Another dumb thread. I wouldn't expect anything else from someone who believes he shares ancestry with apelike beings

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Revival Tonic Daily Devotional : Anointing Versus Skills / Is There Anything Like Spiritual Attack? / Why Do Some People Like Sitting Behind In Church?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.