Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,470 members, 7,770,156 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 06:07 AM

Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available - Health (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available (630003 Views)

Ola Orekunrin, The Youngest Doctor In England At Age 21 / Doctor In The House: Free Medical Advice Available / Pharmacist In The House:free Medicines Advice Available (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (305) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by gentleone(f): 3:39pm On Nov 16, 2006
@nicetohave, thanks. i'll take note.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by ajolayo(m): 4:06pm On Nov 16, 2006
nicetohave,
Thanks. As you said this calculations are just rough estimates. The most constant part of a lady's cycle is the luteal phase which last for about 14 days i. e from ovulation to menstruation. Hence knowing the date of ovulation is retrospective, 14 days counted from last menses. So if the cycle is fairly constant, you can speculate the date of next ovulation. Thanks once again. All the best with your residency stuff.

@choco
How frequent are the malaria bouts. It is possible that we are dealing with drug resistance here and not new malaria infection. There are stuffs we call R1, R2 and R3 resistance. (Dont worry about the jargons). What drug do you use to treat malaria? We might need to change that but first we need to know whether it is not resistance.
Also are you sure it is malaria? What are your symptoms? How often do you have them?
Let's know then we can advise properly. Thanks

@congo,
Low sperm count and mortality. a thoruogh check up is needed really. But one of the most important causes is varicocoele, which is amenable to surgery. Also incessant sex in itself can cause low sperm count as you do not give your body enogh time to produce more sperm cells. Also is it possible that you've had mumps before or a Sexually Transmitted infection like gonorrhea. All these can cause either low sperm count or no live sperm cell in ejaculate.
About your weakness in bed, I'll reply that in another post. later. because you even mentioned women - are u a polygamist

@joyjames,
Hemorrhoids are best treated surgically either by banding, injecting sclerosants or excision (haemorrhoidectomy). (Though this depends on the grade of the hemorrhoids)

Drugs you can use are Anusol. It is a suppository (inserted into the anus). It relieves the symptoms.
Also try to prevent straing while you defeacate. take a lot of fruits and vegetables and lots of water. Sure good for your body.
This is conservative management
Thanks all
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by joyjames(f): 8:53am On Nov 17, 2006
Hi Ajolayo, thank u very much you are doing a great job here.

pls can i get the drug here in nigeria
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by ajolayo(m): 9:11am On Nov 17, 2006
@joyjames,
Of course the drug is available in Nigeria. I live and work in Ibadan, so any drug I mention is available in Ibadan and in Nigeria generally.

Thanks
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by gentleone(f): 2:11pm On Nov 17, 2006
hello docs,
i've been having this incessant hunger for over a week now, each time i get the feeling, its like i want to faint until i take something and the relief of taking something is not always immediate.
however, just when i think i'm ok,i get hungry again. angry
i just let it pass sometimes without taking anything but at other times, i do have to take something. what really could be wrong? undecided
thanks
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by ajolayo(m): 4:16pm On Nov 18, 2006
gentleone,
This reminds me of when I just became a doctor and one of my friends kept buzzing me that he needed a drug that would make him free from hunger all his life. Of course there is nothing like that.

Back to your question, I am not sure of what is wrong with you cos there are a lot questions I would still love to ask to arrive at a diagnosis.

You see, one of the symptoms of Diabetes Mellitus is eating too much and too often. There is a classical triad of symptoms we call polyphagia (eating too much), polydipsia (drinking too much water - they have excessive thirst) and polyuria - urinating too much. Now all these too "much" are relative terms o. I mean it is not the number of times but how it has changed.

Now people with Type 1 Diabetes despite eating too much still lose weight. They are lean. But people with type II are usually obese.

I can't continue to talk about diabetes, its such a wide topic.

I am not saying that thats what you have o. I am just saying that it could be a symptom and then it could also mean nothing you know.

Do you have any other problems Excessive tiredness, recurrent boils or infections, etc?

You might need to see a doctor for proper evaluation.

Ciao
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by mamasula: 5:12pm On Nov 18, 2006
Hello doctor,

i have a very sensitive subject that i would like for you to answer some questions for me please!!

my friend has recently been hospitalized because she drank about a quart of antifreeze.  she is currently on life support, the Dr.s say that she is brain dead!, my questions are:

If she is brain dead:

1. can she hear me?

2. she  slowly opens and closes her eyes when we speak to her, is this normal for someone who is brain dead?

3. when i speak to her her heart rate increases, does this mean she understands me?

4. is it possible for her to just be in a coma, and not be brain dead?

5.  what effect does antifreeze have on the body?

please doctor, i need some answers for my own sanity, it has been a really hard time for everyone and i need some insight please!!

may God bless you

Catherine.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by gentleone(f): 4:50pm On Nov 20, 2006
@ajolayo, thanks.
the hunger feeling has stopped, infact i've not eaten today at all and there has been no hunger pangs, guess i was thinking too much then.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by nicetohave(m): 8:32pm On Nov 21, 2006
mamasula:

Hello doctor,

i have a very sensitive subject that i would like for you to answer some questions for me please!!

my friend has recently been hospitalized because she drank about a quart of antifreeze. she is currently on life support, the Dr.s say that she is brain dead!, my questions are:

If she is brain dead:

1. can she hear me?

2. she slowly opens and closes her eyes when we speak to her, is this normal for someone who is brain dead?

3. when i speak to her her heart rate increases, does this mean she understands me?

4. is it possible for her to just be in a coma, and not be brain dead?

5. what effect does antifreeze have on the body?

please doctor, i need some answers for my own sanity, it has been a really hard time for everyone and i need some insight please!!

may God bless you

Catherine.

What an unfortunate incident! If she drank an antifreeze and she is brain dead then she can neither hear you nor respond to you.

Now when she opens and closes her eyes you have to understand that someone that is brain dead has lost all higher cortical (cerebral) function, however may still retain some lower (brainstem) function the fact that she is even on life support means that she has also lost a considerable amount of her brainstem function too.

her heart rate racing has nothing to do with you talking to her depending on how much and what type of neural function has been damaged, you could have anything between slowing down and racing of the heart. Also don't forget that other things play a role here too and not just the brain, her body fuild and electrolytes, for example.

Now is it possible that she is just in a coma and not brain dead? YES! but then i cannot tell you that from where i am sitting, you will have to ask the doctors managing here to be sure of that. If she is brain dead, i am sorry her condition is only reversible by God, a coma is still reversible (but how long has she been in this state?)

Well to start with, one of the components of antifreeze, METHANOL, is notorious for causing BLINDNESS almost always, that is almost 100 out of 100 people that ingest it will go blind (that is if the patient is still alive)

Moreso, it would be an understatement to say antifreeze is dangerous, IT IS A KILLER, a teaspoon of it is enough to kill anybody. other components of antifreeze, like ETHYLYNE GLYCOL, which in itself is potentially non toxic (IF THE PATIENT GETS TO THE HOSPITAL ON TIME AND AN ANTIDOTE GIVEN ON TIME, BUT IN MOST CASES ITS TOO LATE BY THE TIME THE PATIENT GETS ENOUGH HELP TO COME TO THE HOSPITAL, treatment of which is basically ethanol with hemodialysis to get rid of it from the body) but is converted to a toxic metabolite in the body which can cause RENAL FAILURE, ACIDOSIS (too much acid in the body) and HYPOCALCEMIA, which basically means low calcium in the body, this will result in muscle cramps and overactive reflexes, which could be an explanation for the opening of the eyes which you noticed, which then only points to the fact that we are dealing with a "hopeless" situation, redeemable only by the creator Himself.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by mamasula: 2:57am On Nov 22, 2006
Hi Doc,

Thank-you very much for your help on this matter, i guess its all up to god now when he See's fit to take her from this world. Once again thank you to you and the other Doctors who offer your time and patience to help people like me with your free service, and excellent advice, may God bless you all, wink

Catherine
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by bimpeaka(f): 3:08pm On Nov 26, 2006
this is to any of the doctors in the house. I really would like to know if there is any link between STAPHYLOCOCOUS AUREAS and GENITAL HERPES.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by nicetohave(m): 3:29pm On Nov 26, 2006
Aside the fact that herpes may be complicated by a staph infection, there is no association between the two. Genital Herpes is a sexually transmitted intection caused by herpes simplex, whereas staphylococcus is a very, very, very rare cause of bacterial vaginosis, in females it is associated with toxic shock symdrome, mostly in women who uses tampoons during their periods.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by bimpeaka(f): 5:05pm On Nov 26, 2006
@ nicetohave.
thanks for your quick response, my friend had a blister on the base of her buttocks, after a urine test and a HVS, she was diagnose of Staph" but from what i think, I think she has herpes because the breakout of blisters has occured about 5-6 times. Though the blister has dried off, her boyfriend has some blisters on the neckline of his penis.
My question is, does staph breakout in blisters, with feverish feeling etc? all these symptoms are similar to herpes. (I know herpes has no cure, I dont want to tell her it might be herpes)
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by nicetohave(m): 6:09pm On Nov 26, 2006
staph does not break out in painful, blisters and ordinary lab evaluation of HVS will not show a herpes infection. She needs to see a doctor for treatment and advise. Herpes has no cure but there are treatments to keep the disease more or less quiescent.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by joshsy(m): 9:23pm On Nov 26, 2006
i dont really know what my problem is,but i jst feel all is not well 4 some time now.the doctor says its psychological but i didn't want 2 blv it.could it be?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by nicetohave(m): 3:41am On Nov 27, 2006
what exactly do you feel is not well with you? you probably will do well with someone you can talk to, not everything is a physical malady that can be diagnosed and treated as such, if you are unaware of any physical symptoms then you will do well to talk to someone, preferably a psychologist but really anyone who you trust you can relate to will do, it helps to identify what the problem is but you need to identify it first before you can deal with it, without which no doctor can offer any remedy or suggestion.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by alexitotee(m): 1:57pm On Nov 27, 2006
A friend wanna know why is ejaculation too early in man. he has this experience and wanna know how to go about having it corrected.he is not a nairalander, so I am asking for him as a friend because he confide in me.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by metridim(m): 3:26pm On Nov 27, 2006
Please, i need a comprehensive info on biological control of disease vectors.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by joshsy(m): 6:50pm On Nov 28, 2006
I need urgent reply 2 this issue.A very close female friend of mine told me abut a particular problem.she said dt, recently she do av pain during intercourse which was not before.plsss can yu advise on what culd be possible causes of it cos she told me of 2 causes dt a said doctor told her,which i quite disagree with.thanks
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by gentleone(f): 8:50am On Nov 29, 2006
hi docs, i woke up quite ok this morning but around 7am, i started having this twitching in my upper left eye. initially, i felt smthing entered my eye but the next minute, it twitched again.
now, it twitches like every 20 mins. what could be wrong?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by joshsy(m): 11:52am On Nov 29, 2006
hi doctor,i'm still expecting ur reply on the issue i complained concerning a female friend who complained of pain during intercourse.pls what are d possible causes.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by joshsy(m): 12:30pm On Nov 29, 2006
what culd this be doctor? 8 yrs ago this guy had itching testis sac and blister like(but no fluid) at d lower part of his buttocks.after some time he started experiencing low,and watery sperm.anytime he uses antibiotics he will av average erection.his organ did not develop more dan what it was 8 yrs ago.and he is jst 25.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by joshsy(m): 12:35pm On Nov 29, 2006
what culd this be doctor? 8 yrs ago this guy had itching testis sac and blister like(but no fluid) at d lower part of his buttocks.after some time he started experiencing low,and watery sperm.anytime he uses antibiotics he will av average erection.his organ did not develop more dan what it was 8 yrs ago.and he is jst 25.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Balogun(m): 2:29pm On Nov 29, 2006
Joshsy, you need to be patient with the replies you get from the docs. We are not permanently on line. One of us will reply your different queries.
Metridim, biological control of disease vectors is best read in the appropriate textbooks.
Alexitotee, most problems with premature ejaculation is to do with control and your being comfortable with who you are with. Mostly is all psychological and needs to be discussed with the two parties.
Gentleone, most of us get twitches sometimes in the upper eyelid. Unless it is something regular or permanent I wouldn't worry too much.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by gentleone(f): 2:43pm On Nov 29, 2006
umm, , thanks doc. i was getting worried because of the frequency but it has ceased.
what really causes it though?
thanks.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by alexitotee(m): 11:25am On Nov 30, 2006
alexitotee:

A friend want to know why is ejaculation too early in man. he has this experience and want to know how to go about having it corrected.he is not a Nairaland user, so I am asking for him as a friend because he confide in me.
He was recommended a drug Virtagin. He wants to know if this drug can control premature ejaculation. Then, is there anu drug ha can control it? Is there any treat attached to premature ejaculation?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by joyjames(f): 9:26am On Dec 01, 2006
Hi Doctors in the house,

what is the cause of a man staying too long on a woman before he ejaculateand what are the possible correction to that
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by ajolayo(m): 1:04am On Dec 06, 2006
@Joshsy,
I replied your question about painful intercourse in the tthe other thread you started so pls check it.

@gentleone,
A lot of things can cause twitching eyelids. Twitching is not abnormal really though when it becomes too much and too frequent it might be worrisome. Some people twitch more when they are under stress. Repetitve twitching movements are called tics. the borderline between normal and abnormal is very vague. I dont think it is anything to worry about.

@alexitotee
I do not know what drug Vitargin is because that is probably the trade aname and we usually deal with Pharamcological names. A quick search on the Internet did not revela much but what it shows, it seems to me that its just a multivitamin preparation. I'll check it up again and I would reply you once I get stuff on it.

@joyjames
I will answer your questions later pls. But on a lighter note, I thought you ladies would like that, at least you complain about a man cumming too quickly, now he cumes much later and you're still complaining. haba. Laughs

Thanks all
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by 4Play(m): 1:15am On Dec 06, 2006
alexitotee:

A friend want to know why is ejaculation too early in man. he has this experience and want to know how to go about having it corrected.he is not a Nairaland user, so I am asking for him as a friend because he confide in me.
@alexitotee
There is nothing wrong in admitting that u are the person who is the one minuteman.So u can't ram a punany for longer than a 100 metre sprint race.

U are screwed.HIDE ur head in shame
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by alexitotee(m): 10:34am On Dec 06, 2006
4Play, does it mean one cannot speak the truth again in this forum. Do I have to say it is me when i am not? In nigeria, we encourage people to say simple truth, especially in this forum, so may be that is not the case in the UK or u are just the liar that would see averybody to be like him.A liar would always see evry one to be a liar no matter the truth u say.
Liar-4-play, learn, ok? cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by alexitotee(m): 10:39am On Dec 06, 2006
Hi ajolayo, thanks. Please help check the use of the drug, Virtagin. I will be expecting your reply soon.
Thanks again.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by alexitotee(m): 10:46am On Dec 06, 2006
4 Play:

@alexitotee
There is nothing wrong in admitting that u are the person who is the one minuteman.So u can't ram a punany for longer than a 100 metre sprint race.

U are screwed.HIDE your head in shame
4Play, learn to respect others' integrity. Everybody can't be like you, lying. angry angry

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (305) (Reply)

How Can I Get Rid Of Black Spots On My Face? / Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology / How Do I Calculate My Safe Period?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.