Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,555 members, 7,770,432 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 10:38 AM

Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available - Health (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available (630022 Views)

Ola Orekunrin, The Youngest Doctor In England At Age 21 / Doctor In The House: Free Medical Advice Available / Pharmacist In The House:free Medicines Advice Available (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (305) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by sisisisi(f): 3:35pm On Oct 26, 2006
This bothers me but i got to let it out.I have two black spots on both wrists.Dunno where it came from but what i discovered is it made my forearms thinner than usual.The rest of my body is ok but for my forearms and seriously,I feel down each time i look at it.I am tempted to think it may be some form of reaction from some drug i took abt 8 mths ago after doing away with a pregnancy.Really dunno what to do.advise would e appreciated.I also intned going to hospital one of these days.
tnx
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Balogun(m): 5:12pm On Oct 26, 2006
st1. sometimes when you move you bowels and there is a small amount of blood, it usually looks a lot when it mixes with water in the bowl. I need to know how old you are and whether this was fresh blood or old blood. This conversation might not be everybodies taste so you might want send me a private e mail!
sisisisi. I am trying to imagine the black spots on your wrists. Unless I see a photograph of it, it is difficult to give you any idea of what it might be. Sorry can't help with that. Your personal physician would be better help
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by dominobaby(f): 11:40pm On Oct 26, 2006
Can i ask a question? What causes the veins in the arms to show so vividly?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by charlo(m): 8:49pm On Oct 27, 2006
Hi doc, got some persistent back pains for some months now, I once sprained it in the weight room. what can I do as it is becoming unbearable. thanks
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by kitaun(m): 8:28pm On Oct 28, 2006
@Doc

Got a friend who ignorantly when young had put some form of tiny stick into his ears to serve as cotton buds, now it seems an ear atimes sounds blocked as he cant hear as properly in the ear as the other uninfected ear, what can he do? what drugs can he purchase?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by esoneek(m): 12:49am On Oct 29, 2006
hi doc balogun , nice to hear from someone like u,i m a final yr med student at the college of medicine univ.of lagos, a hand surgeon?thats cool,means u know all about allens test , froments sign, edinburgh position and rules like neva immobilize a hand for more than 3 weeks and all rite?I was taught while in surgery (trauma unit, cos at LUTH, trauma and hand surgical units are together) posting that hand surgery requires microsurgery and as far as i know , we arent equipped with that much equipments back home here,are u thinking of coming home to help out cos u're going to be very useful in that field.take care all the same , i hope we'll get to talk more and more,by d way, where did u train?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Balogun(m): 9:37pm On Oct 29, 2006
esoneek. I am glad you have reached those dizzy heights of final year in medical school. If you have done your paediatrics you will know my good friend Afolabi Lesi. We were classmates at school in Dublin. I trained in Dublin. Unfortunately Nigeria has wasted too much money on things that dont make us grow old gracefully. I believe if they pay their well trained doctors, nurses, teachers and other professionals well, the country will be one of the best in the world. I am sure I am preaching to the converted. Without sounding mercenary my loyality lies with who can afford me
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Balogun(m): 9:44pm On Oct 29, 2006
kitaun. Your friend needs to see an Ear Nose and Throat surgeon. Remind him that anything smaller than your fist never goes in your ear. Cotton buds burst ears drums, they scratch the passage between the ear and the eardrum and cause infections.
charlo. See my previous posting on back pains. See a physiotherapist first and if that doesn't work, get investigations to make sure it is not something serious. A CT scan or MRI scan preferably. Xrays dont usually show anything except fractures!!!
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by dominobaby(f): 8:22pm On Oct 31, 2006
Doc, you have not answered my own question O! Thanks. . . .
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Balogun(m): 3:13pm On Nov 01, 2006
sorry about that dominobaby. We are all different in out make up. Veins are usually subcutaneous, that is, below skin level. People with too much fat will not have veins show up more. The hotter you are, the more likely your veins will dilate. If you have blocked return of the blood back to the heart, again the veins will be prominent. Doctors put a tourniquet in your forearm or arm to make the veins stand up so they can take blood or insert a cannula. Hope that answers your question
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by olaak1(m): 1:02pm On Nov 02, 2006
Dr. Balogun thanks for all the advice you've been rendering to Niaralanders but pls i want you to go trough my post and advice me on what to do with my skin thanks once again smiley
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Balogun(m): 6:17pm On Nov 02, 2006
gone thru your post. You will have to tell me what "narun" is in english!!!
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by esoneek(m): 1:40pm On Nov 03, 2006
hello sir, i know doctor F.E.A. Lesi, light skinned ,handsome, his wife is the consultant gastroenterologist in dept. of medicine.Final yr for me will be starting on the 15 of jan 2007 , for now am at sheffield, northern general hospital, im having a six week medical electives attachment in cardiology.I must confess i ve not been exposed to so much technology assisted medicine and there are so very few black pple in this hospital.When i compare the environment here to what i'm used to back at LUTH, i feel like weeping cos all i can say is that "Africa (Nigeria) is in ruins", even thier patients are not as ignorant about thier conditions as ours!
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Balogun(m): 3:29pm On Nov 03, 2006
Lovely hospital the Northern General Hospital. Worked there many years ago in transplant surgery, general surgery and orthopaedics. You are definitely priviledged to be doing your elective period there. Good luck with your final year
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by noble2007(m): 3:40pm On Nov 03, 2006
hello,any effective natural or orthordox drugs/herbs to cure ULCER be it peptic/stomach
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by sidof: 3:43pm On Nov 03, 2006
helloo,
am saheed azeez from nigeria ok,i will like to know you more than this oki,.you are free to e mail me via sidof88_4@yahoo.com or you call me on 08027286312
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Balogun(m): 9:47pm On Nov 03, 2006
noble2007. we need to know what the cause of the ulcer is before you worry about alternative therapy. do you use non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs, are you a smoker, do you drink alcohol, tea, coffee, carbonated drinks. Is it an infection caused by helicobacter pylori. we take the holistic approach before we suggest therapy. If you are guilty of any of the above excesses, you need to stop. Let me know more about your life style
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by esoneek(m): 2:53pm On Nov 06, 2006
ok
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by esoneek(m): 2:57pm On Nov 06, 2006
Yea
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by dominobaby(f): 7:04pm On Nov 06, 2006
Thanks doc! And keep up the good work you're doing here.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by ajolayo(m): 6:55am On Nov 10, 2006
Hi ya Balogun,

Just joined the site a few days ago and I have found it stimulating. I am a Medical Doctor presenlty in UCH Ibadan (which happens to be the best teaching Hospital in Nigeria as you know) grin Not boasting. It really is

Just wanted to intimate and pay homage to the the doctor in the house.

Would love to learn and probably contribute in some discussions.

Ciao
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Balogun(m): 8:33pm On Nov 10, 2006
Welcome to the forum ajolayo. The nairalanders ask medical questions and several of us doctors try and give them answers. There is me, nicetohave and skidoc. I have not heard from nicetohave in a long time. He gives excellent advice. You are more than welcome to contribute. My interest is emergency medicine with interest in hand surgery. We have some medical students that ask for professional advice.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by joyjames(f): 3:22pm On Nov 14, 2006
hello,

i just get married am finding it difficult to conceive can u help me in calculating my on and off period
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by ajolayo(m): 11:12pm On Nov 14, 2006
joyjames,
It is usually believed that you are fertile for roughly 7-8 days in your cycle period. If your menstrual cycle is a regular one, then it is very easy to calculate. Now I am not talking about regular as in it comes every 5th of every month but that the number of days between the first day of a month's menses and the first day of the next month's menses is constant.
Usually a lot of people have a 28 days cycle (21-35 days is normal).
So here is how we calculate it. If you have a 28 days regular cycle, the 14th day is the day of ovulation. i.e the 14th day taking the first day of your menses as 1st. Now 4days before that (from 10th of ur cycle) till 3 days after that (17th day) you are fertile.
So use that to calculate yours please.
Note If your cycle is not 28 days, there would be a little adjustment to the calculations.
Now the day of ovulation is fairly constant at 14 days before the next menses. So it means that if your cycle is 30 days, the day of ovulation would be day 16 i.e 14 days before next menses. So 4 days before ovulation and 3 days after ovulation is your fertile period.

I hope the information was helpful.

Take kia
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by joyjames(f): 8:41am On Nov 15, 2006
hi Ajolayo,

Thank u very much for ur reply my periods start 10th of every month and ends after 4days.

Am realy sorry for distrubing you but can u help me calculate it, THANK U VERY MUCH
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by ajolayo(m): 12:07pm On Nov 15, 2006
joyjames,
Is it always 10th of every month? Well it appears that your cylce length is 30 days. So your ovulation day would be the 26th of the month. So you are fertile 4 days before that and 3 days after it. i. e 22nd to 29th.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by joyjames(f): 12:25pm On Nov 15, 2006
thank u very much Ajolayo i will try to work on it this month
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by gentleone(f): 3:00pm On Nov 15, 2006
@ajolayo, what if one's cycle is not constant?
mine ranges from 25 - 30 days.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by nicetohave(m): 10:05pm On Nov 15, 2006
Nice question.

Now no woman can be said to have a constant length of menstrual cycle her entire time, it will always vary. Also one of the reason we give a range for what is "supposedly" your safe period (for those wishing to use it for contraception) and your fertile period (for those wishing to use it for conception purpose) is because even the date we calculate is in retrospect, that going by your last one to three cycle length, but there is absolutely no guarantee that your next cycle length is going to be so, that is why your next ovulation date CANNOT be a fixed date, but a range, but we can tell you your ovulate date of your last cycle but the next one, complex but that defines the line between us and God.

Also the male seed can survive anytime between 12hrs and 5days in a woman, how long the next ejaculate is going to survive in you, no one can guarantee that also. Another reason why we must need give a range and another reason the natural mode of contraception has a very high failure rate, second only to coitus interruptus.

So for a cycle length of 25 to 30 days, your "fertile" or likely ovulation period can be anytime between the 12th and the 18th day from the START of your next bleed (im sure you can do the counting yourself) we usually work with +/- 2 or (3) days (opinion of whether to use 2 or 3 days varies with different centers) but the basic principle remains the same.

Hello Balogun, i see we have more capable hands in the house, good good. I have been away busy with my residency application in the States, ironically i will be going in for OBGYN.

I hope my contribution has helped clear the air a little
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by joyjames(f): 9:42am On Nov 16, 2006
hi Nicetohave thanks for ur contibution.

pls can i get any drug for haemorrhoid pile
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Choco(f): 12:10pm On Nov 16, 2006
Hello Balogun

Pls I need help in fighting off incessant malaria bouts

Thanks Choco
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by congo(m): 3:34pm On Nov 16, 2006
Plse doctor , ineed una help. i'm a man but weak in bed with wumen.i visited many docs 5 years now but no solution. in test conducted they said lowsperm count and immotality. what can i do 2 correct this abnormalities. I m married 4 4yrs but no issue. if you can connect me to your friend to assist me i go happy. i live in abuja. thank u. i m serious plse.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (305) (Reply)

How Can I Get Rid Of Black Spots On My Face? / Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology / How Do I Calculate My Safe Period?

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.