Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,338 members, 7,811,980 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:24 AM

Federal Republic Of South Nigeria - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Federal Republic Of South Nigeria (19621 Views)

Three Unique Heroes Of South-south, Nigeria / Photos Of South African Troops In Maiduguri ? / Drama As Tambuwal Joins Federal Republic Of Nigeria Party (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Federal Republic Of South Nigeria by Katsumoto: 12:39pm On Jan 03, 2010
FL Gators:

Me too!!! And that's only because of the internet. I'v never seen so much people go at each other like this.
Even the young NLers who knew nothing absolutely nothing about Nigeria are so ready to be tribalists/ innocent tribalists.
Tells you how much the internet can influence you

It is because of this that we need to correct and perhaps isolate those that are fueling ethnic bigotry. There are many people who live their lives without any bias towards other tribes. But then they come on NL and think other tribes hate them and then develop a mindset against others. Thanks for also pointing this out.

I honestly think that this polictics section should only be accessible to certain people; I don't know how that will work in practice but the hate peddlers on this forum are doing a lot of damage to our very fragile co-existence.
Re: Federal Republic Of South Nigeria by real4life: 12:51pm On Jan 03, 2010
@all
sorry to disturb your little referendum, but please stop throwing insults at each other so we can enjoy this thread more,  wink

By the way, it would be interesting to see how your federal republic of south nigeria would turn out when you dont have hausa/fulani to call goats, mugus, malams etc.

if you may permit, I have a few questions to ask. would you guys be kind enough to

1. sell us fuel, or do we have to revert to animal transport or buy fuel from Ghana
2. keep abuja as our capital, or would you bomb it before you move on, or would u remove the infrastructure that was built with "oil money"
3. let the igbo people continue to live with us, or would you ask them to go back home. i dont know exactly how many of them are there, but they have communities in even the smallest villages in the North and are very happy living there. So are we
4. buy food from us, or would you import from abroad
5. let our expatriates continue working in the oil industry and other professional jobs or would u or send them back home

In short if you succeed to break up Nigeria, how do you plan to treat your new neighbour? As a friend or foe nation?

Thanks.

enjoy and feel free to drop some bombs on me to reduce your stress; i dont mind.
Re: Federal Republic Of South Nigeria by Mekusxyz: 6:04pm On Jan 03, 2010
''Igbo did not vote for MKO'' Sjeazy8

Another Yoruba lie punctured. Sjeazy8 has run into the bush and unable to respond to his false claims. We will continue to puncture the myriad of lies they tell against other Nigerians.

Anambra
Tofa 42.89%
Abiola 57.11%
Abia
TOFA 58.96%
ABIOLA 41.04%
IMO
TOFA 55.14
ABIOLA 44.86
ENUGU
TOFA 51.91%
ABIOLA 41.09%

Look at the % differences and tell how significant they are. Look at the %s for Abiola and see if you are right to claim that Igbo did not vote for MKO
Put into perspective the fact that Tofa's would-be deputy was Igbo (IMO state). If Igbo gave 100% vote to Tofa like Yoruba did to OBJ (2003), do you think the results will still be the same? Answer NO. You need to win 2/3 of each state to become the president.

http://maxsiollun./2009/06/11/16th-anniversary-of-the-june-12-1993-election/
Re: Federal Republic Of South Nigeria by Onlytruth(m): 6:33pm On Jan 03, 2010
real4life:

@all
sorry to disturb your little referendum, but please stop throwing insults at each other so we can enjoy this thread more,   wink

By the way, it would be interesting to see how your federal republic of south nigeria would turn out when you dont have hausa/fulani to call goats, mugus, malams etc.

if you may permit, I have a few questions to ask. would you guys be kind enough to

1. sell us fuel, or do we have to revert to animal transport or buy fuel from Ghana

This question lies at the core of the negotiation process that should precede the whole thing. Personally, I believe the north should be accommodated in the petroleum resources under agreeable terms to all concerned. This is just to enable a smooth process of separation.

2. keep abuja as our capital, or would you bomb it before you move on, or would u remove the infrastructure that was built with "oil money"

Abuja is in the north. There is nothing anyone can do about that.

3. let the igbo people continue to live with us, or would you ask them to go back home. i dont know exactly how many of them are there, but they have communities in even the smallest villages in the North and are very happy living there. So are we

As long as you don't kill them in religious riots, I'm sure they would and should stay . No one will force them to relocate unless if a war is brewing.

4. buy food from us, or would you import from abroad

Of course the south will continue buying food from the north if the north keep supplying at the right price. This is a no brainer.

5. let our expatriates continue working in the oil industry and other professional jobs or would u or send them back home

They should continue working there as long as they are qualified to be there, much like the foreign expatriates. There will no longer be quota system and federal character candidates and other "emir" or "retired army general" candidates in the oil industry. That would never happen again. Every personnel there must be based on his qualifications and merit. You fail to deliver on the job, you get fired. Simple.

In short if you succeed to break up Nigeria, how do you plan to treat your new neighbour? As a friend or foe nation?

That depends on whether northern Nigeria become a good neighbor(unlike Cameroun). If the north imposes sharia, and makes like hell for southerners in the north, we in the south will then retaliate.
Re: Federal Republic Of South Nigeria by real4life: 7:40pm On Jan 03, 2010
strange reply, are you really from the south? i dont think thats the majority opinion

Anyway thanks for the reasonable post
Re: Federal Republic Of South Nigeria by Mekusxyz: 8:07pm On Jan 03, 2010
real4life:

strange reply, are you really from the south? i dont think thats the majority opinion

Did you conduct a poll to determine what is majority opinion?
Re: Federal Republic Of South Nigeria by SapeleGuy: 8:08pm On Jan 03, 2010
real4life- you didn't quite get the answer you were looking for.

My addition to onlytruth's response is that the north with one of the best refineries in the country are free to buy fuel from anywhere in the world.

Do you believe that the north can lay claim to the sea ports in the south as some other posters have?
Re: Federal Republic Of South Nigeria by Nobody: 8:13pm On Jan 03, 2010
Katsumoto:

It is because of this that we need to correct and perhaps isolate those that are fueling ethnic bigotry. There are many people who live their lives without any bias towards other tribes. But then they come on NL and think other tribes hate them and then develop a mindset against others. Thanks for also pointing this out.

I honestly think that this polictics section should only be accessible to certain people; I don't know how that will work in practice but the hate peddlers on this forum are doing a lot of damage to our very fragile co-existence.

My points exactly.
Re: Federal Republic Of South Nigeria by real4life: 8:54pm On Jan 03, 2010
Mekusxyz:

No but i have been following posts on nairaland long enough.

SapeleGuy:

real4life- you didn't quite get the answer you were looking for.
My addition to onlytruth's response is that the north with one of the best refineries in the country are free to buy fuel from anywhere in the world.

Do you believe that the north can lay claim to the sea ports in the south as some other posters have?

you are right on that point, what I am looking for is the "real motive" behind this plot to break Nigeria

You and I know that the North as a region is not the real problem of Nigeria. For one, the idea that the North has ruled the country for most of the time since independence does not hold much water. Those greedy military men do not have tribe, culture or religion, they are simply officers and everyone else is a bloody civilian. The North has suffered as much as (or even more than) the south since independence. We have been raped and battered by the military rulers, our civilian looters and corrupt government lobbying businessmen. The way forward in Nigeria is to do away with these criminals, seize their stolen cash and property and declare independence afresh. We must not waste our precious time and talent redesigning maps and looking for pins in the ocean.

Re: Federal Republic Of South Nigeria by OAM4J: 9:07pm On Jan 03, 2010
Real4life, please change the title of that pix to "Playing games with Nigeria"

Kai, I wish someone can tell me who won, Ibb or Obj?
Re: Federal Republic Of South Nigeria by EmperorOlu: 9:13pm On Jan 03, 2010
real4life:

you are right on that point, what I am looking for is the "real motive" behind this plot to break Nigeria

You and I know that the North as a region is not the real problem of Nigeria. For one, the idea that the North has ruled the country for most of the time since independence does not hold much water. Those greedy military men do not have tribe, culture or religion, they are simply officers and everyone else is a bloody civilian. The North has suffered as much as (or even more than) the south since independence. We have been despoiled and battered by the military rulers, our civilian looters and corrupt government lobbying businessmen. The way forward in Nigeria is to do away with these criminals, seize their stolen cash and property and declare independence afresh. We must not waste our precious time and talent redesigning maps and looking for pins in the ocean.

I love that picture, i have never seen any picture that puts all of them in the same place. What year was it taken and what were their ranks then? By the way great argument, you have some valid points but the issue of religion still need to be sorted out if Nigeria is to remain one. Most southerners still feel detached from the north because of religious violence.
Re: Federal Republic Of South Nigeria by becomrich16: 9:23pm On Jan 03, 2010
Mekusxyz  what your point. you have none. Tofa is the only man . Ok. list the number of yoruba people that have won Igbo compare to northerner. It tell you were they belong.  The issue go beyoud vice president for the igbos. So you feel igbos are second hand cloth. That is what have kill nigeria till today.
Re: Federal Republic Of South Nigeria by OAM4J: 9:45pm On Jan 03, 2010

Ooni of Ile-Ife Oba Okunade Sijuwade has blamed the disunity in Yorubaland on politicians who capitalised on the disagreement between Chief Obafemi Awolowo and Chief Samuel Ladoke Akintola to sow the seed of discord in the Yoruba nation.

He said in his palace at the press conference organised to mark his 80th birthday anniversary which comes up on the 1st of January 2010.
Oba Sijuwade remarked that effort is being intensified to re-unite the race.

According to the monarch, Yoruba leaders all over the world will converge on Cotonou in the Benin Republic in March 2010 to discuss the way forward.

http://www.compassnews.net/Ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=37592:oduduwa-state-not-a-do-or-die-matter-ooni-&catid=36:news&Itemid=702

IT was a global honour for the Ooni of Ife, Oba Okunade Sijuwade Olubuse II on Saturday, as dignitaries from all walks of life converged on his palace for the conferment of chieftaincy titles and a thanksgiving service which marked the grand finale of his 80th birthday anniversary.
The occasion, which attracted the presence of the President of the Republic of Benin, Dr. Thomas Boni Yayi and the Asantehene of Kumasi in Ghana, King Otumfuo Osei Tutu II, also saw dignitaries from other countries in attendance.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/03012010/news/news4.html

Becomerich, What is going on? Looks like this your argument of Yorubas joining Republic of Benin is gaining ground. grin
Re: Federal Republic Of South Nigeria by afemai: 9:54pm On Jan 03, 2010
As much as I agree that we have a debased, misnomer, deficient, treacherous, and perilous nation called Nigeria ,Publisher’s thread to me seems a comic relief…having read almost all the threads from that followed it I can only see the possibility of having a southern Nigeria as a mirage, the "quarrels" exhibited from the contributions to the thread between ONLYTRUTH and EmperorOlu on one hand and SEFAGO and DEDE1 on the other proved an interesting reading.
Emperorolu need to have some respect for other contributors and not thrive in invectives same applies to Dede1 though Sefago was pretty ready with a beautiful reply. Please BEAF should never refer to Afemai as one of the smallest ethnic groups.
your maps where great especially the one that depicted some semblance to Iraq, grin
Re: Federal Republic Of South Nigeria by Beaf: 10:02pm On Jan 03, 2010
@real4life
The North has itself to blame in the current rounds of crisis facing the country. It is disenginous to hit out at the South whereas the threats to the nations unity are arising 100% from Northern attitudes.
The problems Southerners have with the North can be expressed in one word, "frustration".

Here's a little list:
[list]
[li]Shocking religious intolerance that expresses itself in regular bloodshed[/li]
[li]Sharia[/li]
[li]Huge gap in education that Northern leaders do not care about (or perhaps, foster)[/li]
[li]Abuse of the military with "tribalistic" recruitment and promotion[/li]
[li]Use of force (military) against fellow citizens[/li]
[li]Ruling for 40 out of 49 years, yet displaying raw lust for power by pushing the nation over the precipice with the propping up of an incapacitated Yar Adua, because its "their turn" to be there[/li]
[li]Forcing a unitary system on us, that is tearing the country apart[/li]
[/list]
Re: Federal Republic Of South Nigeria by Abagworo(m): 10:05pm On Jan 03, 2010
why are some unsuccessful yorubas on this forum always trying to turn everything to igbo vs yoruba?topic is about a united southern nigeria.we have more than 500 ethnic groups in southern nigeria and not just igbo and yoruba.
Re: Federal Republic Of South Nigeria by Beaf: 10:11pm On Jan 03, 2010
afemai:

As much as I agree that we have a debased, misnomer, deficient, treacherous, and perilous nation called Nigeria ,Publisher’s thread to me seems a comic relief…having read almost all the threads from that followed it I can only see the possibility of having a southern Nigeria as a mirage, the "quarrels" exhibited from the contributions to the thread between ONLYTRUTH and EmperorOlu on one hand and SEFAGO and DEDE1 on the other proved an interesting reading.
Emperorolu need to have some respect for other contributors and not thrive in invectives same applies to Dede1 though Sefago was pretty ready with a beautiful reply. Please BEAF should never refer to Afemai as one of the smallest ethnic groups.
your maps where great especially the one that depicted some semblance to Iraq, grin

Afemai is one of the smallest ethnic groups in Southern Nigeria. Population, circa 600 thousand.
Re: Federal Republic Of South Nigeria by SapeleGuy: 10:12pm On Jan 03, 2010
Majority of people will be pacified with True federalism. What people don't like is the double standards, we are a secular state and then in the next breath we are an islamic nation.

Afemai - nothing spoil, Afemai have a seat, which is equal to all other ethnicities in any sovereign national conference. Population is irrelevant.
Re: Federal Republic Of South Nigeria by Onlytruth(m): 10:42pm On Jan 03, 2010
real4life:

Mekusxyz:

Yes, you are right Mekus, there is no poll to support my statements. My suggestions are simply personal opinions and it is a product of the "education" I have received since I joined nairaland.
Re: Federal Republic Of South Nigeria by Onlytruth(m): 11:03pm On Jan 03, 2010
Beaf:

@real4life
The North has itself to blame in the current rounds of crisis facing the country. It is disenginous to hit out at the South whereas the threats to the nations unity are arising 100% from Northern attitudes.
The problems Southerners have with the North can be expressed in one word, "frustration".

[li]Forcing a unitary system on us, that is tearing the country apart[/li]
[/list]

Spot on!
I would add that Nigeria as currently configured gives room to too much sectional and religious chauvinism at the detriment of national cohesion and unity. The leadership vacuum currently plaguing the country is one example. For example, why can't the VP take over leadership of the country since the president is clearly incapacitated?

Apart from lack of true federalism, the next killer of Nigerian unity is the quota system and federal character.
I often wonder how I will have to explain to my (hypothetical) Harvard trained son or daughter (one day), that he/she will have to accept playing second fiddle to some northerner who never left Nigeria for education and who is clearly less qualified.

In a hypothetical scenario where Nigeria were under attack from some foreign country, would that son or daughter fight for Nigeria? What are his/her stake or interest in such a nation founded on injustice and mediocrity. For those who may never have thought about it, I believe that is part of why Nigeria could not defend Bakassi. This country is scared of a war with a foreign country because we don't have people ready to defend her. A nation's best defense is internal cohesion and justice. The north has only demonstrated love for the north and not for Nigeria. If they did otherwise since 1970, we would not be here discussing how to separate from the north.

As we continue hypothesizing a southern Nigeria, the north can still implement true federalism and remove those obnoxious institutions of mediocrity called quota system and federal character. They can still nip Islamic extremism in the bud by indefinitely suspending Sharia laws which conflict with the federal constitution. The big question is will northerners do that?

So, until we know the answer, I believe that the pre-Lugardian arrangement is one of our best options forward.
Re: Federal Republic Of South Nigeria by becomrich16: 11:13pm On Jan 03, 2010
look as long as you can share oil revenue with the north. The north would go alone with it.  They want Islamic country. but they have no revenue, if you solve the problem of revenue. You solve thier saying no. but they keep the nigeria status at the united nation and we join benin republic. As long as it is in Black and white that they are getting % of the oil. I dont see them having any problem .

Do you see the satellite pictures again. they would be minority. Their problem is revenue, when you share oil revenue with them. they have no problem.

Re: Federal Republic Of South Nigeria by becomrich16: 2:28am On Jan 04, 2010
Beaf for the fist time you agree to break up.

look see it this way, the north is collecting oil money. if you give them a country. You can still continue to give them part of the share of oil revenue while they keep thier taxes and we keep ours. it is easy.
Re: Federal Republic Of South Nigeria by Beaf: 2:50am On Jan 04, 2010
becomrich;:

Beaf for the fist time you agree to break up.

look see it this way, the north is collecting oil money. if you give them a country. You can still continue to give them part of the share of oil revenue while they keep thier taxes and we keep ours. it is easy.

First, Happy New Year. Next, you are mis-yarning,
If we split the country, why should we give another country some of our oil revenue just like that? . . .Sounds like slavery.

Much more important than any of the above is the fact that the ND will absolutely refuse to be part of any entity that isn't practising true federalism. Therefore the idea of sharing oil revenue with anybody will never ever arise . . .Except you are hinting that the ND will somehow pay taxes to the North, rather than to our own centre? Fail. shocked
Re: Federal Republic Of South Nigeria by tunku(m): 5:14am On Jan 04, 2010
Disintegration is inevitable. All these Northern "one-nigeria" need to shut the hell up and start drawing up plans to live alone. The north can choke and immolate themselves with all the oil they want. I for one do not want a country dependent on one commodity. It would be nice to use the oil money properly but if these mallams don't want to give it up easily we should either give it to them or present a united front against them. real4life needs to shut it with its one nigeria bs.
Re: Federal Republic Of South Nigeria by Afam(m): 8:37am On Jan 04, 2010
Katsumoto:

Sjeezy and SEFAGO
Please stop acting like Mekusxxx and WILYWILY. If you have to say something about other tribes, please stick to facts rather than perceived opinions.

I really don't understand you my friend, you seem to be taking sides regardless of the facts on ground and that is unfortunate.

Someone accused the Igbos of not voting for a Yoruba candidate even when there was an Igbo vice presidential candidate in the same election and Mekusxxx brought evidence to dispel such lie. The accuser refused to address the exposed lie and all you can say is for them to stop acting like others and still encourage them to stick to facts.

It seems you prefer facts when they suits you and discard them when they don't. Can we be more consistent here in what we believe and preach?
Re: Federal Republic Of South Nigeria by real4life: 8:52am On Jan 04, 2010
tunku:

Disintegration is inevitable. All these Northern "one-nigeria" need to shut the hell up and start drawing up plans to live alone. The north can choke and immolate themselves with all the oil they want. I for one do not want a country dependent on one commodity. It would be nice to use the oil money properly but if these mallams don't want to give it up easily we should either give it to them or present a united front against them. real4life needs to shut it with its one nigeria bs.

Tunku, so after reading my post you have come to the conclusion that I am afraid of disintegration of Nigeria? You are a real OLODO.

Look, even if Nigeria breaks up, olodos like you will suffer even more even if you have crude oil in your fathers backyard. Abi u think say oil na water wey person go use drink garri? Nonsense
Re: Federal Republic Of South Nigeria by trueword: 9:48am On Jan 04, 2010
What can be done or what needs to be done in order to actualize the Federal Republic of South Nigeria?

With recent developments, we southerners need to distance ourselves from being labeled terrorists.
Re: Federal Republic Of South Nigeria by Dede1(m): 1:44pm On Jan 04, 2010
real4life:

You and I know that the North as a region is not the real problem of Nigeria. For one, the idea that the North has ruled the country for most of the time since independence does not hold much water. Those greedy military men do not have tribe, culture or religion, they are simply officers and everyone else is a bloody civilian. The North has suffered as much as (or even more than) the south since independence. We have been despoiled and battered by the military rulers, our civilian looters and corrupt government lobbying businessmen. The way forward in Nigeria is to do away with these criminals, seize their stolen cash and property and declare independence afresh. We must not waste our precious time and talent redesigning maps and looking for pins in the ocean.

The bolded statement is a feel-happy and also-said construct that holds no iota of truth. I guess you can convince the soldiers of northern region of Nigeria that executed the July 29, 1966 coup that there were no tribe, culture or religion, they were simply Nigerian officers.

Ironically, this same northern group of officers that precipitated the said coup has constituted into the ruling class of military men that ran Nigeria into the abysmal depth of socio-politico-economic point of no return with the help of cowed southern Nigerian counterparts.

The group picture of draft playing officers says more than words.
Re: Federal Republic Of South Nigeria by real4life: 2:54pm On Jan 04, 2010
Dede1:

The bolded statement is a feel-happy and also-said construct that holds no iota of truth. I guess you can convince the soldiers of northern region of Nigeria that executed the July 29, 1966 coup that there were no tribe, culture or religion, they were simply Nigerian officers.

Ironically, this same northern group of officers that precipitated the said coup has constituted into the ruling class of military men that ran Nigeria into the abysmal depth of socio-politico-economic point of no return with the help of cowed southern Nigerian counterparts.

The group picture of draft playing officers says more than words.

I see where you are coming from, but it is really true that military officers stick together for their own. As human beings though there could be exceptions to this on rare occasions.
That coup was a special case, a dark period in Nigeria's history. Moreover, it was a reaction to an earlier coup staged January 1966 during which eminent Northerners were killed including 1. The prime minister, Tafawa Balewa 2. The premier of the northern region, Sir Ahmadu Bello 3. High ranking military officers from the north and even 4. Premier of western region, Samuel Akintola e.t.c. And you know the civil war followed shortly after. In short this topic is too sensitive, especially here so I prefer not to discuss it
Re: Federal Republic Of South Nigeria by Afam(m): 3:31pm On Jan 04, 2010
real4life:

I see where you are coming from, but it is really true that military officers stick together for their own. As human beings though there could be exceptions to this on rare occasions.
That coup was a special case, a dark period in Nigeria's history. Moreover, it was a reaction to an earlier coup staged January 1966 during which eminent Northerners were killed including 1. The prime minister, Tafawa Balewa 2. The premier of the northern region, Sir Ahmadu Bello 3. High ranking military officers from the north and even 4. Premier of western region, Samuel Akintola e.t.c. And you know the civil war followed shortly after. In short this topic is too sensitive, especially here so I prefer not to discuss it

How convenient. You excused the actions of the soldiers who killed their own in July 66 but could not excuse the actions of the soldiers who killed their own and some civilians in Jan 66. Why the preferential treatment?

Funny enough, it seems the original topic has been relegated to the background.
Re: Federal Republic Of South Nigeria by real4life: 3:51pm On Jan 04, 2010
Afam:

How convenient. You excused the actions of the soldiers who killed their own in July 66 but could not excuse the actions of the soldiers who killed their own and some civilians in Jan 66. Why the preferential treatment?

Funny enough, it seems the original topic has been relegated to the background.

You are also guilty of this. My original questions are not being answered, only short comments like this one are being made and I am duly responding to avoid being misquoted.

For the avoidance of doubt, I do not condone killings of July 1966, January 1966, or any other killing.
Re: Federal Republic Of South Nigeria by No2Atheism(m): 4:01pm On Jan 04, 2010
- Please ladies and gentlemen . . . kindly refrain from continuing to derail this thread . . .

- This thread was about the hypothetical topic of Federal Republic of South Nigeria . . . hence please refrain from continuing to derail this thread . . .

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (17) (Reply)

False Assets Declaration: Saraki Arrives Tribunal With Just 4 Senators / Mining States To Receive 13% Derivation Revenue - Minister Of Mines, Fayemi / 159 Nigerians Renounce Citizenship In 2022 – FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.