Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,380 members, 7,812,109 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:27 AM

Welcome To My House - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Welcome To My House (45462 Views)

DIY Construction Of My House In PH. / The Lessons I Learnt While Building My House / The Finishing Of My House (Oluwa Champion) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Welcome To My House by Nobody: 8:26am On Mar 02, 2010
@ axeman: even before i knew i had to share my water tank with neighbours, we got two large drums for storing water. you never know when some freak accident will happen. i fill it up with a hose i connect to one of the taps in the house, and if any water emergency comes up, i usually have enough water to last us at least a week before joining the helter skelter cool. looks like you have it rough with your street though. what will happen when it rains? shocked shocked

@ bisowo: lawdy!! i thought it was just the tanker drivers at my end, but i guess they carry their arrogance everywhere with them. hey, selfish or not, at least THEY are doing something, and it benefits you indirectly. i can't count how many industries turn a blind eye.

traffic's even worse at cele now. had to walk AWAY far ahead of the madness in order to get transport home yesterday evening. arrgghhh. uncle fash hurry up already!!

oh and happy new month everybaddy grin grin
Re: Welcome To My House by maskuraid(m): 1:06pm On Mar 02, 2010
my house,

m very lucky to live alone , as d lord and manor of my rented apartment.d other flat is vacant so it gives me d chance to b master of my own little universe.no landlord to harrass me, no other tenants to contend wit, basically bliss. grin

flip side of d coin is dt i live 'upcountry', far from d maddenin crowd.i dont have a phobia for pple ,i just like d peace and quiet , solitude rocks!

m lovin dis so much right now dt i wont ever trade it for livin in those dens of madness called 'civilised' areas , m lovin my 'lungu' like dt!

might have to move soon sha, but m 'eyein' an estate where i can continu to b king of my kingdom wit my throne of grace being a 3brm bungalow,

m reppin IGANDO and just so u knw,i 'd rather live like a lion in d jungle than live like a dog in d city.

peace cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Welcome To My House by maskuraid(m): 5:30pm On Mar 02, 2010
@ilugunboy
o brotherly ,where art thou been?ever since we stopped allowin hitv's problems to bother us , u sorta went stealth mode grin grin.
anyway sha,how d family?good to see u r doin good,

guess wat,m gonna b movin soon and d 'big dish' dream is finally goin to be in freakin livin colour, i cant wait !!!!

holla bro,
Re: Welcome To My House by Nobody: 5:49pm On Mar 02, 2010
@ maskuraid

lucky you! i'm all for having a house to myself but IGANDO?? shocked shocked shocked shocked tell me u don't work on the island, please! the trauma from the travelling is enough to drive me nuts, even if my job was completely stressless! yikes! how do you cope?
Re: Welcome To My House by maskuraid(m): 7:26am On Mar 03, 2010
@ice,

funny enof I DO WORK on d island, my philosophy is weird sha,i believe dt for everything in life there's a price, yep traffic and all dt means i leave for my travels early in d mornin and get home around 10 averagely, but d joy of just havin NO PESKY NEIGHBOURS to deal wit is just so, inexplicable, grin it also means dt my wknds are spent at home, my preffered hangout spot is my couch and when i have all dem remote controls @ my side, its just heaven grin grin grin

like i said b4, lion in d jungle for me's berra than dog in d citeh, i can breathe, far from all d people generated madness, FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE AT LAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!
Re: Welcome To My House by maskuraid(m): 7:29am On Mar 03, 2010
sorry sis, i rambled so much dt i forgot to answer d question, how i cope? i am a 9ja boy, wit diesel in my veins and cables for ma muscles, nofing do me at all grin grin

do have a wunnaful day,
Re: Welcome To My House by Nobody: 9:54am On Mar 03, 2010
maskuraid:

sorry sis, i rambled so much dt i forgot to answer d question, how i cope? i am a 9ja boy, wit diesel in my veins and cables for ma muscles, nofing do me at all grin grin

swagger l'omo!! cheesy cheesy

meanwhile, PHCN cut my power cos madam caretaker didn't deliver on her promise to take care of the outstanding angry angry angry. and from the look of things, she doesn't intend to refund the money spent on the water pump. i guess that leaves the agent to vent on, cos someone has to pay (either the money, or pay with their nerves getting wrecked by me grin grin )

if you're reading this, pls and pls, never complete your payment till u've seen the power bill. if there's any outstanding, deduct it from ur rent and go clear it yourself if it's a place u really want. we knew abt checking for outstanding on phcn bills, but the agent assured us it was taken care of, and they 'couldn't locate the old bills' at the time. we really liked the place, and needed it urgently, so i guess we kinda let it go real easy. the lady says she's working on it (i got her to pay a bit of it last year) but she's really taking her time. angry angry

just want to give a shout out to all you hard working people hustling in lagos and doing what you gotta do kiss kiss. i swear the amount of time i don't spend in my house makes me a squatter, while the mosquitoes are the real tenants!
Re: Welcome To My House by maskuraid(m): 10:28am On Mar 03, 2010
@icey,

roger dat, if only rent could be pay as u sleep,most of us will pay change as rent, lol .nepa bills are magical things, u pay and u never get to see light,u dont pay and u still dont see light and at times u dnt even see d bill but u still gotta pay, e get as e b grin.

no need to burst a vein ventin for a refund,just look at it as a social service.cryin wolf from now till yaradie wakes wont make nobody giv u ur money back, refunds are like d next hardest thing to achieve in naija(gettin to see d comatose presido is 1).

wat would life b w/o light,water,traffic issues?? very boring i guess, shocked
Re: Welcome To My House by Nobody: 11:23am On Mar 03, 2010
maskuraid:

@icey,

roger dat, if only rent could be pay as u sleep,most of us will pay change as rent, lol .nepa bills are magical things, u pay and u never get to see light,u dont pay and u still dont see light and at times u dnt even see d bill but u still gotta pay, e get as e b grin.

LMAO and true, sometime last yr i had to pay even tho i had no bill!! cheesy cheesy

[/quote]

wat would life b w/o light,water,traffic issues?? very boring i guess, shocked

[quote]

lagos for ya wink wink. we'd be a 1st world country i guess cool cool
Re: Welcome To My House by maskuraid(m): 11:33am On Mar 03, 2010
who wants tp be a 1st world country?? wat would all d churches do?we wont have much to pray about again na wink

update on ma nu place, money's fallin outta ma pockets faster than lagosians rushin thru free party rice, cant complain much sha, they say u gotta pay to play, d pains of tryin 2 mugrate from tenancy to a landlord, grin
Re: Welcome To My House by maskuraid(m): 11:35am On Mar 03, 2010
@ice,

harmony drive, aint dat off wisteria lane,surbubia? shocked shocked
Re: Welcome To My House by Nobody: 11:48am On Mar 03, 2010
@Maskuraid.

Brov, been ages!!!. where  have you been on this planet? shocked grin. I lost interest in the HITV thread because I am no longer a subscriber. Cured my addiction to the EPL somehow. It been bliss with DSTV Prem. How are u doing and the madame nko? Nice to see that you doing good too.
DSTV seems poised to knock off Hitv on the entertainment side, they just introduced 4 additional channels to take care of Hitv. check it out:
Yoruba channel Vs Amuludun on Hitv, Hausa channel Vs Gamji on Hitv. Addition of Kidsco (currently only running in Hitv Prem Bouquet only) and Discovery World. So you see, aside football (read EPL), Hitv is complete nonsense.

@all

Sorry for the digress.

I was even lucky with my electricity thing because the guy vacating the house left some unused credit on the PHCN card. It was this unused credit that my tech man used  to rer-run the house wiring . So this pre-paid meter is preferable to this billing system.

Where can one get an honest artisan in this Lagos?. They are bunch of liars!!!!,  Imagine, my plumber duped me grin shocked. My visitor's bathroom has been clogging with used water that don't easily drains. Being new to the house I called the guy to come and fix the problem after explaining to him.

The nexy thing was that he will come and "Fix" it, if am ready to pay =N=1,500.00 which I had to agreed to considering the problem. My suspicion rose when he came without any tools or material to use, it got higher when he demanded for the money before working and I decide to pay just =N=1,000 at that moment until he finished his work. Lo and behold the guy just pulled out the drain duct cover, washed and replaced it and the problem solved. He never bother to ask for the balance since he noticed how I felt with the way he made me to look like a fool. cheesy.

He however explained that for such jobs, that is how they charged, since according to him, nobody will ever call him for a repeat of such job, so he has to collect all future calls for such job in advance grin and also to pay for teaching me how to do the job myself. shocked grin.

It rained in my environ two days ago and this resulted in so much heat during the night, my daughter could not sleep even with the fan blasting at full speed. May God provide money make I upgrade inverter to 7.5KVA to powered  the A/C.

These Automatic-spray air freshners are mostly fake angry or do anyone have an idea of where to get a very good one?
Re: Welcome To My House by Bisowo(f): 12:09pm On Mar 03, 2010
I must say things are beginning to look up in my once again. I mean, the water machine is working again, and about time too! We suffered without water for days, all because the plumber couldn't work without light. The old machine was eventually condemned, cos Nepa high voltage succeeded in killling it. Same for the landlady's, which had to be replaced too. My landlady got another one same day, while we and our neighbor got ours 2 days later. And now, glory be, there's water.

Light: It's been fairly stable in my area. At least, we 'enjoy' anything btw 8-14 hrs daily. And this is enough for us to charge our inverter batteries. So, technically, I've been enjoying light in my house 24hrs daily,  cool. We were advised by the guy who installed our inverter to go for the bigger batteries, i.e. 12V 200AH batteries. We got 2 of these, then changed all our light bulbs to the energy saving ones. We had to isolate some power loads, to give room for the essentials only, i.e. lights, TV and of course fans to sleep at night. And trust me, I've been working like a hawk, trying to safeguard against wastage. My kids don't watch the TV anyhow anymore, cos more than anything, having the fan on at night in order to sleep superceeds every other day-time luxury.

Mai-Guard: Our mai-guard problem is finally over. When the last one that worked with us simply left without informing us, we finally concluded that we could very well do without them. Over the course of 3 years, we have had to deal with scores of them, most of them leaving within 1 month of work. As soon as they collect the last salary, you would hear, madam, I wan traful to see my fiiful, lol

Initially, I used to pity them, and sometimes, we would contribute and give them something for the road, but eventually, we discovered it was a classic by them. I guess being nomads by nature, they just can't be loyal to you. Hence, we concluded that the best thing is to do away with them altogether, and keep our gates ourselves, with each person holding their keys to open and lock the gates. This has worked beautifully for us.

Sorry for the epistle. I do like to be detailed.
Re: Welcome To My House by Nobody: 12:14pm On Mar 03, 2010
maskuraid:

@ice,

harmony drive, aint dat off wisteria lane,surbubia? shocked shocked

grin grin grin cheesy cheesy tongue tongue
Re: Welcome To My House by maskuraid(m): 12:15pm On Mar 03, 2010
@ilugun

Great to hear from u again ma brodaman, no mind all dem artisans.first thing i do wen anything is damaged is open it up myself to see if i can fiddle around a bit(note that d only exception to dis rule is anything electrical,ABDULMUTTALAB is not my second name) grin.outside of dt i just grit my teeth and pay up while tryin to pick all i can learn from d bugger when he's doin d job so that i dont havta call him again.

those auto sprays just drive me nuts, wit their constant 'sneezes' dt distract my attention.bushman's rule says d simpler d better, my fingers r able, wink

i'v been lookin for a means to lay my hands on dt prepaid meter, everybody knws its more efficient but phcn has made it virtually impossible to get any in lagos,anybody here has any clues??hope God blesses on dis money issue, i'm also considerin joinin d inverter train though that will come later when i actually do move to d other place as i can put permanent structures in place w/o fear of sudden movement.m even thinkin about hookin up a solar chargin system thereby becomin my own IPP(independent power provider) grin, 'pepper' willing.

wat can i say abt hitv, u knw d story.now i combine both, entertainment from dstv and football from hiwahala, almighty nilesat go soon enter sha,a 3m dish to receive all d juicy blessins from 'heaven' FTA .mayb i'll get me one of em aljazeera cards and turn my place to a cinema grin grin

do take care bro,
Re: Welcome To My House by maskuraid(m): 12:24pm On Mar 03, 2010
@bisowo

good to knw dat now akwai ruwa fala fala, water no get enemy and in dis heat one needs d stuff like a conductor needs change.

u cant blame dem aboki/maiguard pple at all.there r so many of dem itchin to come and taste d 'sinful' life in lagos that they just have to do rotational migration to create d space for others.

dd i hear u say 8-14 hours of lite?from phcn??it means ur area is witchfree,or ur witches r lazy, our transformers have a relatively short life span cos accordin to d grapevine,witches in our area actually use them for meetins, anything more than 10mins of light supply makes dem go BOOM!, FLICKER FLICKER =atrociously low current.then u cant track any low flyin UFOs, grin grin
Re: Welcome To My House by Nobody: 12:44pm On Mar 03, 2010
@ilugunboy: that plumber story cracked me up. me sef dey find plumber. i gat 2 nos now; one has fixed something for me before and was clueless and tool-less. the 2nd one plain didn't show up!! the caretaker has the number for a 3rd one but is doing her best to piss me off about my power re-connection. i hope for her own sake she reconsiders b4 she pushes me over the edge. i'm not nice when i'm mad.

@maskuraid: lol @ everything u just posted! grin grin wth?! cheesy cheesy transformer witches, IPP and 'taste d "sinful" life'?! what next? shocked shocked write ur own constitution, or hold a 'house captain' election? (except there's no other tenants to be captain over in ur case) tongue
Re: Welcome To My House by maskuraid(m): 1:06pm On Mar 03, 2010
@ice,

ambition is d only reason why we exist, u just never knw,i might start plottin to take over d world, one neighbourhood at a time.then all u pple will have no choice but to see d through my own keyhole, howzdat grin grin grin wont have to say my house, more like my 'world'
Re: Welcome To My House by Nobody: 1:37pm On Mar 03, 2010
@Maskuraid.

Trust you to always crank the whole house. grin grin.

Solar ke?. that is way too expensive to install, unless your pocket is as deep as IBB or Abdulsalam grin.

@Bisowo.

Don't mind those Abokis, their life ambition coming to Lagos is to become the owner of an Okada, and once they gather enough to buy one, they come up with all sort of stories to go "home". In my case, "home" to them is always Ikeja and its environs. Since they hardly stay, we do the business of opening and closing of gates ourselves.

Yes. to get the best out of Inverters, energy saving bulbs are non-negotiable and like my brother-in-law observed the other day, we now behaves like Oyinbo people, because I ensure that no light is left on in any part of the house that is not having any activity going on there. Once you are out of the kitchen, light goes off, same with all the rooms, toilets/ bathrooms and the sitting area. We do everything to conserve energy for the long nights. This attitude is also helping us to get the best out of our PHCN pre-paid cards.
Re: Welcome To My House by maskuraid(m): 1:52pm On Mar 03, 2010
@ilugun

u want to kobalise ur broda ni?deep pockets ke?odeshi, solar is a long term thot though, d whole world is goin green.anything is worth it as long as we get to enjoy constant uniterrupted power w/o d 'no point' agendas from our politikos. grin

nobody should blame d abokis o.conspiracy theorists have hinted dt they r bein paid to come to lagos and injure as many pple as possible tru d use of 'okada'.a tour of gbobi wards will enlighten u, d point is dt if we southerners dont allow sharia to cut off our arms and legs like them,then okada will do just fine. talibanism on anoda level,

my g/ma use to say "oye lo'ma a kilo fun oni tobi" before u start runnin fi cover ,dt means harmattan go hammer person wen wear only underwear, economic reality is makin us a more prudent pple, gone are d days wen pple just leave things to waste anyhw, if only we will adopt dt on a national scale,
Re: Welcome To My House by Nobody: 9:19am On Mar 04, 2010
@ maskuraid: clown i say! noffin does you jare!

@ all
my caretaker gave herself brain it would seem and we were reconnected by the time i got home (lucky her! cool ). it's by the time the next bill gets here that i will know if her attempts to fix it were any good.
Re: Welcome To My House by maskuraid(m): 9:36am On Mar 04, 2010
@ice,

don't blv everything u see on tv,all ur landlady has just done is postpone d 'evil' day. d next bill will b much much longer grin grin

take a word of advice, dnt fret,just pay cool cool, meanwhile,y did d woman reconnect u pple sef? i was lickin my lips in anticipaton of royal rumble/ww3 tongue tongue, now she don gon spoil my fun, o ma se o,

better luck next time wink wink
Re: Welcome To My House by Busybody2(f): 4:09pm On Mar 04, 2010
Nice thread, about time too, breath of fresh air.

Would love to be an active participant on this thread but as an "omo ijoba" courtesy of being the only patient in solitary confinement in Yabaleft, i don't wanna do fori fori and start showing off that not only do i have my own wing, it is rigged with the latest Solar panel for solar energy, i have my own 1,000,000kvh inverter, my own generator and a transformer sef in my room.

As for security, even if i leave all the gates open and the door to my room, and my safe open and travel out for a week, my things are still safe, security is that tight.

And like masquirad, i am lucky i don't have neighbours too, but let me stop here for now, i don't like boasting and effizy and i don't want people to know how cosy living in yabaleft is, lest they start jostling to move in too, i love my privacy too much and don't like sharing, lol.
Re: Welcome To My House by maskuraid(m): 5:59pm On Mar 04, 2010
@busy body

yaba must definitly b d place, rockin w/o end grin grin

gbogbo swagga, i feel u, u no fit shout, cheesy
Re: Welcome To My House by Nobody: 6:12pm On Mar 04, 2010
and with that road in front of ur house that uncle fash just gave a very nice facelift. . . but i mean we shoudln't give too much away, lest some aproko nairalanders start offering flats for rent in yabaleft grin tongue
Re: Welcome To My House by lawyer(m): 8:36pm On Mar 04, 2010
Funny thread! Glad to see the lighter side of the property forum for once outside the buy and sell format! Deserves to be on the front page and it will! grin
Re: Welcome To My House by maskuraid(m): 6:46am On Mar 05, 2010
FRIDAYYYYYYYYYY

how much i love dis day, wont mind a whole month of 'em, grin grin

@ice, yaba left is 'posh' but it certainly doesnt hold a candle to 'aro'.dat place na 'eldorado', end of dicussion.

cant wait for 2moro, in btw doin a lil bit of monitorin/supervision over @ 'phase 2' and couch potatoin watchin me some football, it promises to be fun.

wish y'all gbogbo igbadun, cool cool
Re: Welcome To My House by maskuraid(m): 6:49am On Mar 05, 2010
ps,

can somebody tell d janitor in charge of d thermostat in lagos to turn it down a lil?dis son of man is feelin like a potato bein slowly baked in its jacket embarassed embarassed

u pple wont b able to handle my cooked state o, nuff said!
Re: Welcome To My House by Akebulan: 6:51am On Mar 05, 2010
maskuraid:

ps,

can somebody tell d janitor in charge of d thermostat in lagos to turn it down a lil?dis son of man is feelin like a potato bein slowly baked in its jacket embarassed embarassed

u pple wont b able to handle my cooked state o, nuff said!

Jacket? Take it off! jk
Re: Welcome To My House by maskuraid(m): 7:42am On Mar 05, 2010
@akebulan

speakin metaphorically bro, grin grin, google baked potatoes, gerrit? wink
Re: Welcome To My House by Nobody: 8:36am On Mar 05, 2010
oga lawyer tank you o! glad u enjoy the thread smiley smiley

@ maskuraid: i live in the pent house, and there's gr8 ventilation, so the breeze is like WOW! grin grin unfortunately even that isn't enough for me sometimes, so i have to use dusting powder at night b4 i sleep.
enough igbadun for you this weekend. i feel you jare cool cool

just when i was really beginning to enjoy our 3-month young mai-guard, the one who late last yr 'trafulled to see his fiiful' returned. not happy. this returnee's one lazy bum. infact your gist of them disappearing never to return gave me hope that the current one would stay a while longer.
Re: Welcome To My House by Nobody: 8:53am On Mar 05, 2010
maskuraid:

cant wait for 2moro, in btw doin a lil bit of monitorin/supervision over @ 'phase 2' and couch potatoin watchin me some football, it promises to be fun.

you might want to pay more than a lil bit of monitoring. my experience with artisans is a lot like ilugunboy's: they're lazy and greedy. if you don't monitor them very closely, you might find out a little too late that they've made a mess of the instructions you gave them, or they used substandard materials, or they neglect yours to make quick money on the side - the possible horrors of un-monitored workmen are endless.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (29) (Reply)

Nigerian Homes Made Of Plastic Bottles And Mud / 5 Cheapest Cities To Live In Nigeria / Price Of Pop Ceiling Material In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.