Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,101 members, 7,821,803 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:49 PM

Welcome To My House - Properties (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Welcome To My House (45495 Views)

DIY Construction Of My House In PH. / The Lessons I Learnt While Building My House / The Finishing Of My House (Oluwa Champion) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Welcome To My House by Nobody: 8:18am On Apr 14, 2010
even me sef, they took power for about an hour yesterday evening, and just as i was preparing to put on my gen, bam! it was back grin

ijoseda pele o! they must've come for ur transformer with a vengeance tongue tongue
Re: Welcome To My House by gmattutor: 11:39am On Apr 14, 2010
hi everyone. How has the week been so far?

@iceblue
with regards recreation, we have a small park fashola opened not too long ago off Kernel street in surulere where you can take your kids to play on swings and slides. My only problem with the place was that the equipments were not properly made and grounded such that a few weeks after the opening, one of the swings was already uprooting and i went to the park manager to complain. He promised to do something about it but i haven't been there in a while to find out. Apart from that i can't think of anywhere else where peeps can just go to relax.
Re: Welcome To My House by Bisowo(f): 6:24pm On Apr 14, 2010
@Masky and Icey (lol. Combi does sound nice)  cool

Una dey enjoy o. E be like the winshes for una area don join forces to wreck havoc on our trans4mer! Believe it or not, now, we're practically on 5days off, 2 days on rotation. This has been going on for 3 weeks now. They say the it is overloaded; it's quite frustrating. Thank God the inverter is helping, especially at nights.

Water is back, tho we use gen to pump. DSTV also. A techy I called in said something got bad, so paid for a replacement.

As for recreation in my area, don't know of any. Oh. of course, there's Jhalobia Gardens, along Airport Rd. Very nice set-up, near natural environment. Only you have to pay to use it.

Things have really changed o. I remember when we were young, and there were lots of places to go relax,  Leventis, UTC stores, Kingsway, all at Lagos. These stores were the 'Mr. Biggs/TFCs/Tantalisers, etc, of that era. Mogambo Gardens (where Planet One presently occupies), beside Mobil Filling Station at Maryland; Love Garden, Ojuelegba, (I schooled around there); the Museum at Biney, Yaba (our house was located nearby); Amusement Park, Apapa. I had my first taste of 'Hammer House of Horror' here. Wow. That dark house with the imaginary moving objects that created the worst pangs of fear in children. (no mind us; we didn't know any better) grin

Bata and Cortina Shoes Stores were the favorite places to go buy your school shoes. I believe there still exists today a Bata Store along Broad Street, Lagos. The National Stadium at Surulere was another nice spot to go watch amateur boxing and wrestling on Saturdays. If you'll call it relaxation, I remember the Albati Barracks , Ojuelegba, was another favorite spot of ours; we used to go watch the army on parade, and boy, it was really interesting! Then, of course was the Festac edifice at Iganmu. That was the hot spot for stage drama et al. There were many others. Really, I believe today's young ones are missing out lots on learning about their environment. Too much TV/DVD/Playstation/Cable etc. Sometimes feel nostalgic about those days gone by. sad
Re: Welcome To My House by K2: 5:12pm On Apr 15, 2010
iceblue:

no mind me, u know i'm just messing around, right? (but it's still kind of funny. someone else actually came up with the substitute name on a previous page cheesy)

you've probably read the first page so u know we don't want (personal) details. however, the knowing the country would help us create a picture.

moving cos of church? wow. that's nice. but if i had to drive 2 hours to get to and back from church, i'd want to move too! i'm really curious, is the house hunt process there much different from what obtains here (see checklist on pg 3 or 4 grin grin)
I know you're kidding now. Trust me; I have a good sense of humor. I'll take yours and Maskuraid(shey na Eyo, Egungun, Igunnuko, Atilogwu, abi Ojuju?).
Anyhow, I live in Yankee. I'm in the area referred to as DMV. Mainly 3 states bothering each Washington DC(not really a state just like FCT),Maryland & Virginia. Being in this area provides some advantages in house hunting. Fest, unlike naija we dey pay several taxes. Federal, State, sometimes county and city tax (income). You also pay property tax based on the assessed value of your home. In addition you may also pay HOA (Homeowners Owners Association) dues for any place where you share common areas with other homeowners. Therefore, one of the things to consider apart from proximity is the tax rate of the state or county (similar to LGA in Naija) one is moving to. Another thing to keep him is that there several types of dwellings: Condominiums, Apartments, Town Houses(bunch of houses built & attached together you might be sharing a wall with your neighbor, Single Family houses etc By the way, you know most of the time one don’t build houses from scratch, the plan is already prepared by the builder/developer. If it’s new construction, you could just add or remove options based on their blue print. Other times one just go ahead and buy the ones that are already built. I’m just cutting stuff short but you get the gist. The big advantage is also is that one could shop online. That’s how we bought our first house. I think that’s probably how 80% of houses for sale are found. You could also do virtual tours and see the pictures of the house.
Re: Welcome To My House by Nobody: 8:04pm On Apr 15, 2010
virtual tours - definite plus!!
all those taxes - shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed cry cry cry cry
Re: Welcome To My House by ijoseda(m): 6:56am On Apr 16, 2010
@ketu-ojota-mile

thanks for the information. this thread is going places o! very soon people from china, australia, poland and icey's village too  grin grin grin would start giving us gist about their area! so much fun.

@all

if i work in ozumba and i live in gbagada and i have to get to work by 7am, when is the best time to leave home (6am i think?)
Re: Welcome To My House by maskuraid(m): 7:11am On Apr 16, 2010
@k2,good write.if i wan buy yankee crib i now knw wat to do.virtual tours no b 4 naija sha.wetin u go see & wetin u go buy go do u like magic.@ijo,icey's villa na ogd backyard o.u wan begin do virtual commute abi?odeshi!come & feel d heat joo.@all,have a wunnafilld friday!
Re: Welcome To My House by kingboy(m): 7:59am On Apr 16, 2010
thank god is friday
Re: Welcome To My House by Nobody: 8:08am On Apr 16, 2010
ijoseda:

@ketu-ojota-mile

thanks for the information. this thread is going places o! very soon people from china, australia, poland and icey's village too  grin grin grin would start giving us gist about their area! so much fun.

@all

if i work in ozumba and i live in gbagada and i have to get to work by 7am, when is the best time to leave home (6am i think?)

nothing do my village people. nairaland no dey complain of overload tongue tongue. make dem do their photocopy come sef grin grin

from my standpoint i'd say 6a.m. should be fine (how difficult can it be?) but wetin i think and wetin obtain can be quite different. i know that those ikeja hurry-hurry people dey block road by 5.30 even, and ur paths cross on 3rd mainland bridge. all our gbagada peeps, over to you cool cool
Re: Welcome To My House by gmattutor: 10:46am On Apr 16, 2010
Hi people. Thank God is friday, though i still gat work tomorrow.

@ijoseda
Your best bet would be to sample the timing before you actually have to resume. That means get on the road 6am and 5:30 the week before you have to resume work once you're settled in to assess the best time.
Re: Welcome To My House by K2: 2:46pm On Apr 16, 2010
@Iceblock, The taxes are actually not that bad. If it were to be in Uk, then that's a whole different ball game. The taxes are why we get the 24hrs electricity, good roads, pay police, fire and medical emergency folks. Also, the US generally provide incentives for one to own their homes. Right now for a first time home buyer, one could get up more than $8,000 just because they're buying their first home. Also, when you file your taxes, you get some money back you could deduct your housing expenses like mortgage, insurance etc The last day to file was actually yesterday for 2009. Most folks do get lots of money back from the government. Check this out. The price is a bit on the high end though. http://pix1.homevisit.com/tourLite/?id=30292&skin=&ver=
Re: Welcome To My House by Nobody: 4:50pm On Apr 16, 2010
K2:

@Iceblock, The taxes are actually not that bad. If it were to be in Uk, then that's a whole different ball game. The taxes are why we get the 24hrs electricity, good roads, pay police, fire and medical emergency folks. Also, the US generally provide incentives for one to own their homes. Right now for a first time home buyer, one could get up more than $8,000 just because they're buying their first home. Also, when you file your taxes, you get some money back you could deduct your housing expenses like mortgage, insurance etc  The last day to file was actually yesterday for 2009. Most folks do get lots of money back from the government. Check this out. The price is a bit on the high end though. http://pix1.homevisit.com/tourLite/?id=30292&skin=&ver=

touche!!  cheesy cheesy

that house is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!  cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Welcome To My House by kingboy(m): 5:31pm On Apr 16, 2010
WETIN BE DIS NOW, SHAI MY BOSS SAY MAKE I COME OFFICE TOMORROW WEY BE MY BAFDAY(SORRY DIDNT GET THA RIGHT)BIRTHDAY. WERIN MAN GO DO.

K2
I 'D WANTED TO ASK FOR THE COMPARISM WITH THAT IN THE UK I MEAN IN THE PURCHASE OF HOUSES IF ANY.

MY PEEPS
ENJOY ALL THA GFOODS IN THE WEEKEND
Re: Welcome To My House by ijoseda(m): 5:38pm On Apr 16, 2010
ICEBLOCK shocked shocked shocked grin grin grin
Re: Welcome To My House by ijoseda(m): 5:41pm On Apr 16, 2010
@ICEBLOCK, I SEE THE HOUSE O!!! I GENTLE. ALL MAN GO REACH THERE O. YOU CAN IMAGINE THE VIEW ON THE BALCONY shocked shocked shocked
Re: Welcome To My House by maskuraid(m): 6:51pm On Apr 16, 2010
Poco a poco,se andan le jos, we'l get there by His grace,not by robbery o.iceblock ke?y'all need 2 knw she hott lyk dt!
Re: Welcome To My House by Nobody: 10:18pm On Apr 16, 2010
maskuraid:

Poco a poco,se andan le jos, we'l get there by His grace,not by robbery o.iceblock ke?y'all need 2 knw she hott lyk dt!

i hot like wetin? shocked shocked

i have just one question. who's going to clean that house everyday?? how many helps would the house need? cos it may be pretty, but i no get that kain power grin grin
Re: Welcome To My House by kingboy(m): 9:42am On Apr 17, 2010
gooood morning my peeps on WTMH,those at home and in the office, enjoy ur weekend.

Icey
i seconded ur motion about the castle we saw in th epos t of k2(i decided to be silent on the issue cos i dont want it to look like a beef).i undertstood something over time that the more the space the more the junk and more money to maintain).

axey
area cool this morning NEPA may strike for all i care
Re: Welcome To My House by Nobody: 12:58pm On Apr 17, 2010
morning kingboy. my own na just laziness. that and the fact that my pursuit of a career means i have little time for domestic work. still i dey like clean house, so i know something must give if i buy that kain house.

finally got a plumber to come work on my bathroom and so far i have no complaints. in fact, he's behaved like a professional so far. he's even cleaning the mess they made. if i'm still able to give him top marks when he's done, i'll def be sharing his number here. will keep y'all posted.
Re: Welcome To My House by Nobody: 1:19pm On Apr 17, 2010
it's official folks. i've finally got a plumber who KNOWS his stuff and acts like a professional, not like he came on a social visit -

plumber/electrician/carpenter: aunty won't u cook for me?
me: what do i look like? buka? angry angry angry

infact, i was the one looking for drinks for him and his assistant as they were leaving. imagine the relief i felt. and they did clean up my bathroom. handymen NEVER do that. my a/c installation left my house looking like it had just been robbed.

the plumber's contact: Chima - 08036507122

by the way, nepa's dealing wiv me sha. i need electricity!
Re: Welcome To My House by ijoseda(m): 2:00pm On Apr 17, 2010
@icey, what can i say, this thread is becoming so tight now. imagine me moving to lagos, all i'll just do is to scroll thru the thread and retrieve the numbers of plumbers, electrician, painters,etc, thanks sis!!! lets have more!!!
Re: Welcome To My House by kingboy(m): 7:58am On Apr 19, 2010
Good morning my peeeeeeeeeps.everybody have yourself a great week fill with possibility.

IJOSEDE
you are welcome to EKO ILE aromi sa legbe legbe,lagos will bring you the best available in it.

ICEY
what i mean is that when you have a big house you have more to pay to keep it up to the standard.If we look at the black men in the states e.g mike tyson,mc hammer etc,more tax and God help one multiple stream of incomes reduces, u kno wat i mean.i remeber when i was leaving in one room apartment i always complaining but now that i have 3bed i kept keeping things that i dont need, gerit
Re: Welcome To My House by Nobody: 8:26am On Apr 19, 2010
kingboy, i absolutely agree. we're on the same page, just different sections. my concern was more focused on keeping it clean. abeg, if dem dash me that house and i no get even mattress, i'll still move in naw and sleep under the dining table cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Welcome To My House by K2: 1:48pm On Apr 19, 2010
gmattutor:

hi everyone. How has the week been so far?

@iceblue
with regards recreation, we have a small park fashola opened not too long ago off Kernel street in surulere where you can take your kids to play on swings and slides. My only problem with the place was that the equipments were not properly made and grounded such that a few weeks after the opening, one of the swings was already uprooting and i went to the park manager to complain. He promised to do something about it but i haven't been there in a while to find out. Apart from that i can't think of anywhere else where peeps can just go to relax.

Park in Lagos? That's a first. The last time I saw a park in Naija was in Abuja back '06. The millenium park. I actually like this park initiative. Do folks visit the park? Is it safe, clean well maintained? You know sometimes how our people put some nice projects but visit the place a year or two later and it's down the tubes.
Re: Welcome To My House by K2: 1:50pm On Apr 19, 2010
iceblue:

it's official folks. i've finally got a plumber who KNOWS his stuff and acts like a professional, not like he came on a social visit -

plumber/electrician/carpenter: aunty won't u cook for me?
me: what do i look like? buka? angry angry angry

infact, i was the one looking for drinks for him and his assistant as they were leaving. imagine the relief i felt. and they did clean up my bathroom. handymen NEVER do that. my a/c installation left my house looking like it had just been robbed.

the plumber's contact: Chima - 08036507122

by the way, nepa's dealing wiv me sha. i need electricity!
How about the inverter folks talk about to solve your electricity problem?
Re: Welcome To My House by Nobody: 3:32pm On Apr 19, 2010
K2:

How about the inverter folks talk about to solve your electricity problem?

i will talk to him - eventually cheesy cheesy cheesy. inverters are heavy on the pocket and i have other things to take care of at the moment.

kingboy:

WETIN BE DIS NOW, SHAI MY BOSS SAY MAKE I COME OFFICE TOMORROW WEY BE MY BAFDAY(SORRY DIDNT GET THA RIGHT)BIRTHDAY. WERIN MAN GO DO.

sooo sorry man! happy belated birthday!! i hope u enjoyed it (even though u go work at least u go still see small time to toju yourself, or you start on saturday evening and finish up the celebration on sunday cheesy)

oya, we dey wait our cake o!
Re: Welcome To My House by kingboy(m): 5:46pm On Apr 19, 2010
ICEY,IJOSEDE,K2,AXEYBABA,MASKY,BISOWO AND ALL MYY PEEPS
after the count of threeeeee just switch on your bluetooth sorry blueteeth and the cake will be sent to you./////, /

icey
about the inverter i used a wet cell 200Ah for a year plus reason been that an average deep cycle goes for 45k. A friend is using a normal dry cell 2 X 100AH and he says he has not been using generator for a long time cos of the availability of power at least 16 hrs/day.
If any one knows any other battery which is relatively cheap and effective for inverter should let us know.
Re: Welcome To My House by Nobody: 9:24pm On Apr 19, 2010
where's everybody? cry cry
Re: Welcome To My House by maskuraid(m): 6:54am On Apr 20, 2010
@ice,bn right here.ice water tutu has bn keepin my jaw wired.@kingboy,cake was bam,hapi b'lated buffday.@all,hope y'all had a groovy wknd.
Re: Welcome To My House by kingboy(m): 7:45am On Apr 20, 2010
good morning all,
howz d weather like in your area cos here in ogba its hot,lets kno how your area is like
Re: Welcome To My House by Nobody: 8:01am On Apr 20, 2010
i never get home before sun down, but the sun at 5 on my way out was shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

my skin begins to feel prickly after some time spent in heat, but this was almost instant. Plus i was shielding my eyes throughout. sad sad

what gives? where the rain at?
Re: Welcome To My House by browncocos(f): 2:02pm On Apr 20, 2010
holla

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (29) (Reply)

5 Cheapest Cities To Live In Nigeria / Boy who died In building Collapse Told His Mum He Didn’t Want To Go To School / Eko Atlantic Growth Continues

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.