Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,639 members, 7,823,811 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:50 PM

The Word For Today - Religion (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Word For Today (30584 Views)

Lifeway Christian Center: The Word For Today! Thursday, 12/10/2017 / Lifeway Christian Centre: The Word For Today! Tuesday, 26/09/2017 / The Word For Today, Tuesday, 29th August, 2017. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 10:34am On Aug 01, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

GOD'S REMEDY FOR DEPRESSION

Thursday, 1st August, 2019

'Why, my soul, are you downcast?' Psalm 43:5 NIV

According to the New Zealand Health Survey 2016/2017, one in six New Zealand adults has been diagnosed with a common mental disorder at some time in their lives. This includes depression and bipolar and anxiety disorders. Many will not reach for assistance because they believe mental health is a personal weakness.

Now, let's make an important distinction here. If you're clinically depressed it could be due to a chemical imbalance in your body, and a doctor can help you. But the Bible can help. If you're feeling sad or hopeless, it provides wisdom on how to recover. Your situation won't be solved with a few clich?s or a good pick-me-up lecture from a friend. What you need is 'the wisdom that is from above' (James 3:17 NKJV). After calling down fire from Heaven, Elijah 'sat down...and prayed that he might die' (1 Kings 19:4 NKJV). Fortunately, he turned to the right source. 'All at once an angel touched him and said, "Get up"' (1 Kings 19:5 NIV). Now, God may not send you an angel, but he will answer you, lift and restore you.

The psalmist said: 'Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Saviour and my God.' Who is David talking to? Himself! First, he talked to God about his problem; that's what you do in prayer. Next, he listened to God about his problem; that's what you do when you read the Scriptures and speak them over your life. That strategy works. It worked for David - and it will work for you too.

Soulfood: Deut 25-27 Matt 13:36-46 Ps 78:65-72 Pro 17:1-2.

Credit: Grace So Amazing Foundation

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 6:56am On Aug 02, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

THE IMPORTANCE OF GOOD COMMUNICATION

Friday, 2nd August, 2019

'Teach these truths to other trustworthy people...' 2 Timothy 2:2 NLT

Here's a bit of time-tested wisdom that will help get you the results you want in life: become a good communicator. Whether you lead in the church, the workplace or the home, you must take the time to communicate clearly with people in order to succeed.

One of the things virtually every employee wishes he or she had with superiors is better communication. Unfortunately, when those employees become managers, they forget to communicate with those they manage. This isn't the case of Sally Frame Kasaks, who became CEO of the Ann Taylor clothing store franchise. She placed a new emphasis on quality products and on 'more and better communication with employees at all levels'. Within a year, sales rose over 30 per cent. Paul Kahn had a similar agenda when he became chairman and CEO of Safeguard Services. He had his head of operations, Richard Interdonato, change the internal company strategy to emphasise three things: (1) Open doors. Leadership became more accessible to employees. (2) Visibility. Interdonato spent about 40 per cent of his time 'just talking with people'. (3) Sharing information through a daily newsletter and frequent open forums with employees. It worked. Within a year, earnings increased by 13.1 per cent.

When you're on top, always remember the issues that are important to those below you. Why? Because no matter how great your vision may be, without the cooperation and commitment of those below you, your vision will never be fulfilled. Paul, who was a great communicator, wrote, 'Teach these truths to other trustworthy people who will be able to pass them on to others' (2 Timothy 2:2 NLT).

Soulfood: Deut 28-29 Matt 13:47-58 Ps 119:1-8 Pro 17:3.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 8:44am On Aug 03, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

GOD'S PRESENCE SETS US APART

Saturday, 3rd August, 2019

'Your presence...sets your people...apart.' Exodus 33:16 NLT

The world expects Christians to be different from those who don't profess to know Jesus, and that's as it should be. Believers should set an example when it comes to serving others and showing love. Jesus said, 'People will know...you are my followers if you love each other' (John 13:35 NCV). In the Old Testament when the Israelites broke God's covenant by worshipping a golden calf, Moses pleaded with God not to give up on them. His argument was this: 'How will anyone know that you look favourably on...your people - if you don't go with us? For your presence among us sets your people...apart' (Exodus 33:16). What made Israel unique among the nations was the evidence of God's presence as he journeyed with them. And God's presence should set you apart too!

When Jesus told his disciples, 'I will be with you always' (Matthew 28:20 NCV), he demonstrated his presence through the Holy Spirit who dwelt in and empowered them. So much so, that their enemies said they had 'turned the world upside down' (Acts 17:6 NKJV). But as pastor and author Mark D. Roberts observes: 'This doesn't give us grounds for pride or boasting. God's presence is an expression of his grace, not our worthiness. In fact, our confidence in God's presence...gives us a strong conviction of our high calling to serve him in every capacity of life. It gives us courage to live according to his Kingdom...to serve others in his name...if God is with us on our side, what do we have to fear?'

So today thank God for his presence in your life, and decide never to take it for granted.

Soulfood: Deut 30:1-20 Deut 31 Deut 32:1-28 Matt 14:1-12 Ps 119:9-16 Pro 17:4-6.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 2:21pm On Aug 04, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

TAKE THE LID OFF YOUR THINKING

Sunday, 4th August, 2019

'For as he thinks in his heart, so is he.' Proverbs 23:7 NKJV

Until Roger Bannister came on the scene in 1954, some experts said it was physically impossible to break the four-minute mile record. The thinking was, if it hasn't been done, it's because it can't be done. But Bannister not only did it, he started a new trend. History continues to prove that records are made to be broken. And with God on your side, your chances for success go through the roof! Paul said, 'I can do everything God asks me to with the help of Christ' (Philippians 4:13 TLB).

Have you ever seen trained fleas in a jar? You don't need a lid to keep them in. That's because when the trainer first places them in the jar, he puts the lid on it, and the fleas jump up and down frantically hitting their heads against it. Finally, after a lot of headaches, they stop jumping and settle in to enjoy their newfound comfort. Now when the lid is removed the fleas are held captive by a mindset that says, 'So high and no higher.' What a picture!

Jesus said he came to 'set free those who are oppressed [...bruised...]' (Luke 4:18 AMP). Bruised by what? By past mistakes, by harsh criticism, by crippling fears, by wrong teaching, by physical, emotional, mental and spiritual handicaps. In other words, Jesus came to help you take the lid off your thinking! No matter how bad your past is, the future he has in mind is better - and it is worth pursuing and fighting for.

Soulfood: 1 Sam 17:4-51 Eph 6:10-18.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 6:55am On Aug 05, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

'CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR NEW LOCATION'

Monday, 5th August, 2019

'I go to prepare a place for you.' John 14:2 NKJV

A lady ordered two bouquets of flowers, one for a friend who was relocating his business and the other for the funeral of a friend who had just died. Unfortunately, the florist mixed up the orders. As a result, the friend relocating his business received flowers with a note saying, 'In deepest sympathy', while the deceased's flowers came with a card saying, 'Congratulations on your new location!'

Redeemed child of God, one day you'll hear the words, 'Congratulations on your new location.' Heaven isn't 'a state of mind' or celestial cyberspace. It's a prepared place for a prepared people. The Bible talks of 'the whole family in Heaven and earth' (Ephesians 3:15 NKJV). Perhaps someone you've loved and lost is waiting for you there and you're looking forward to seeing them again. Perhaps you're wondering if we'll know each other. Yes! Would we know less in Heaven than we knew on earth? No. Paul says, 'Then shall I know them just as I also am known' (1 Corinthians 13:12 NKJV). Not only will we know each other, but we'll eat together and enjoy one another for all eternity. Imagine fabulous food with no cholesterol! No disease. And best of all, no heartache, for God himself will 'wipe away all tears...and there shall be no more death...sorrow...crying, nor pain. All of that...gone forever' (Revelation 21:4 TLB).

Have you come to the place in life where you know for sure that if you died today you'd go to Heaven? You can have that assurance by placing your trust in the One who paid for all your sins - and offers you the gift of eternal life.

Soulfood: Deut 32:29-52 Deut 33 Deut 34:1-12 Matt 14:13-21 Ps 119:17-24 Pro 17:7-10.

Courtesy: Grace So Amazing Foundation

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:10am On Aug 06, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

YOUR GOD IS UNLIMITED

Tuesday, 6th August, 2019

'Nothing is too hard for you.' Jeremiah 32:17 NIV

God can solve any problem because he is not bound by human limitations:

(1) He is not limited by time. God can do in an instant what would normally take years. 'He sends his command to the earth; his word runs swiftly' (Psalm 147:15 NIV ). He can speed up the natural process of your healing; he can accelerate your harvest of blessing so that you'll be sowing with one hand and reaping with the other (see Amos 9:13). (2) He is not limited by lack. When the Israelites left Egypt, God instructed them to borrow the silver and gold of their taskmasters. That's because the Egyptians owed them 400 years' back pay with interest! And when they obeyed God, he broke their chains of lack and they got back everything that had been stolen from them. Whatever Satan has taken from you, God can restore and more (see Zechariah 9:12). (3) He is not limited by the enemy. Moses told the Israelites, 'The Egyptians whom you see today, you shall see again no more forever' (Exodus 14:13 NKJV). How does God deal with Satan's power? By increasing yours! 'He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world' (1 John 4:4 NKJV). Satan took Jesus to the pinnacle of the temple, but he couldn't push him over - and he can't push you over the edge either. So use God's Word and stand up to him! (4) He is not limited by anything but doubt. He made an axe-head float, a donkey talk, and a corpse come back to life after four days, so you don't have a problem he can't solve.

So rise up and declare, 'Nothing is too hard for you.'

Soulfood: 1 Pet 1-5 Matt 14:22-36 Ps 119:25-32 Pro 17:11-15.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 6:41am On Aug 07, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

WHAT IS GODLINESS

Wednesday, 7th August, 2019

'My soul thirsts for God.' Psalm 42:2 NIV

What comes to mind when you think of the word godliness? Religious rules and regulations? Christians who point fingers and say, 'Thou shalt not'? Little wonder so many people avoid us! Is godliness even possible in an age of motorway drivers and internet shoppers? Or do we need to return to slower and simpler times in order to be godly? The fact is godliness isn't a culture, it's an attitude of the heart. It has little to do with how a person looks (although that's hard for some of us to see beyond), or what they drive or own. It has nothing to do with our personal preferences and the standards some of us would like to impose on others. The Bible says, 'People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart' (1 Samuel 16:7 NIV ).

Godliness is an inside job. And the longer you think about it, the more convinced you become that a truly godly person is one whose heart is sensitive to God, who takes God and his Word seriously, and who desires more of him. David cried, 'My soul thirsts for God' (Psalm 42:2 NIV). That's it! You can be rich or poor, young or old, urban or rural, follower or leader, active or quiet, married or single, Labour or National, PDP or APC - none of that matters. What matters is having a longing to know God intimately, to obey him and walk with him.

So ask yourself, 'Do I want to be godly?' And if you don't like the answer, get down on your knees and ask God to change your heart and attitude.

Soulfood: Obad 2 John Matt 15:1-14 Ps 119:33-40 Pro 17:16.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 6:17am On Aug 08, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

IN SPITE OF THE CIRCUMSTANCES GOD IS WITH YOU

Thursday, 8th August, 2019

'I will never leave you nor forsake you.' Hebrews 13:5 NKJV

Several times in one chapter, Genesis 39, the Bible tells us that the Lord was with Joseph. But that didn't exempt him from jealousy and betrayal, or the advances of Potiphar's wife, or her lies that sent him to prison. The Bible says, 'They bruised his feet with fetters and placed his neck in an iron collar. Until the time came to fulfil his dreams, the Lord tested Joseph's character' (Psalm 105:18-19 NLT). Joseph didn't know it, but he was in training for reigning. God wanted to see if he would choose trust over lust, and obedience over expedience.

It's in looking back that you realise why one of God's names is 'Redeemer'. He can redeem everything you've been through - the good, the bad and the ugly. The lesson Joseph learned is this: God is with you even when there is no evidence he is. He is walking alongside you. He is working with you. He is going ahead of you to rearrange circumstances in your favour. His Word says, '"I will never leave you nor forsake you." So that we may boldly say: "The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me"' (Hebrews 13:5-6 NKJV)?

But sometimes in the plan of God, things get worse before they get better. That's when you must tighten your grip and lean harder on God: 'Therefore do not cast away your confidence, which has great reward. For you have need of endurance, so that after you have done the will of God, you may receive the promise' (Hebrews 10:35-36 NKJV).

Soulfood: Ruth 1-4 Matt 15:15-28 Ps 119:41-48 Pro 17:17.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 8:16am On Aug 10, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

TO THIS YOU WERE CALLED

Saturday, 10th August, 2019

'To this you were called...that you should follow in his steps.' 1 Peter 2:21 NIV

In the midst of his problems, Job said, 'He knows the way that I take; when he has tested me, I shall come forth as gold' (Job 23:10 NKJV). Gold is hidden deep in the earth, and it takes hours of back-breaking work removing tons of dirt scoop by scoop to bring it to the surface. Likewise, crucifying the flesh is excruciating and time-consuming, and when you follow Jesus, you give him 'digging rights'. Satan tries to bury your treasure under memories of past sin and failure, but God keeps on digging because he's going for the gold!

Joni Eareckson Tada became a quadriplegic after a diving accident. She writes: 'Often during a single day I'll have to make twenty-six different adjustments in my wheelchair...sometimes I think I'll drive me and my friends crazy. That's when I...remember, "To this you were called because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps" (1 Peter 2:21 NIV). Life's supposed to be difficult. Jesus said in this world we would have trouble (John 16:33). And that it has been granted - that is...gifted - on behalf of Christ not only to believe in him, but to suffer for him. Sometimes I don't want that gift, but if Jesus learned obedience through the things he suffered, then I can learn from twenty-six different adjustments in my sitting position. God desires intimacy with us - but on his terms - and those terms require us to suffer as his Son suffered. So next time you get hit broadside with a bruising disappointment, God's asking you to follow in Jesus' steps.'

Soulfood: Judg 4-6 Matt 16:1-12 Ps 119:57-64 Pro 17:22.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 12:39pm On Aug 11, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

LET JESUS TELL YOU WHO YOU ARE

Sunday, 11th August, 2019

'You are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church.' Matthew 16:17 NIV

Peter the apostle started out as Peter the fisherman. His father owned a fleet of fishing boats, and Peter probably thought that one day he'd end up running the family business when his dad was gone. But when the Lord has a plan for your life, he will come looking for you! Think about this fascinating interaction between Jesus and Peter: 'But what about you?" he asked. "Who do you say I am?" Simon Peter answered, "You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God." Jesus replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in Heaven. And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church"' (Matthew 16:15-18 NIV).

There's an important lesson here. When you discover who Jesus is and what he has done for you, you discover who you are and what he has called you to do for him. There's a lot more to life than working forty hours a week for forty years, retiring with a gold watch, drawing a pension, and playing with your grandchildren.

Just as surely as your DNA differs from every other person's on the planet, so does your individual destiny. But to understand and fulfil it, 'you must be born again' (John 3:7 NKJV). Jesus said at the grave of Lazarus, 'He who believes in me, though he may die, he shall live' (John 11:25 NKJV). And the one who raised Lazarus from the dead can bring you to life spiritually, too. Seek him and he will also tell you who you really are.

Soulfood: Josh 2:1-24 Acts 9:20-30.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:10am On Aug 12, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

GET SOME REST

Monday, 12th August, 2019

'Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest.' Mark 6:31 NIV

Why did Jesus take time out to rest? So that when he worked, he'd be at his best. And today he wants you to know that if you don't take a break, you won't get one. He wants you to survive the long haul, not just the short sprint. And the first obstacle you need to overcome is guilt. That's what makes us workaholics. We feel guilty and tell ourselves, 'There's just so much to do.'

Jesus handled life differently: 'Because so many people were coming and going that [he and his disciples] did not even have a chance to eat, he said to them, "Come with me...to a quiet place and get some rest." So they went away by themselves...to a solitary place' (Mark 6:31-32 NIV). No time to eat, too many people coming and going, no time to take care of yourself - does that describe your life right now? Some people say, 'It's better to burn out than rust out.' That's poor advice, plus it's not scriptural. You don't burn out when you're in the will of God! Jesus said, 'My yoke is easy and my burden is light' (Matthew 11:30 NIV). And the reason he could say that was because people didn't set his agenda, his heavenly Father did.

The psalmist said, 'He makes me to lie down' (Psalm 23:2 NKJV). Wouldn't you rather go to the park by choice than to the hospital by force? The fact is God won't send you there, but your own lack of wisdom can. Today Jesus is saying to you, 'Get some rest.' If you're wise, you will do it!

Soulfood: Judg 7:1-25 Judg 8 Judg 9:1-33 Matt 16:13-28 Ps 119:65-72 Pro 17:23-26.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:38am On Aug 13, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

ALWAYS BE HONEST

Tuesday, 13th August, 2019

'Don't lie to each other.' Colossians 3:9 NLT

Try to answer the following questions honestly. Would you lie in order to get yourself out of a jam? Impress someone? Avoid dealing with the consequences of your actions? Well, how did you do? In a major survey in the USA people were asked, 'What would you be willing to do for $10 million?' (Are you sitting down?) Twenty-five per cent said they'd be willing to abandon their families. Twenty-three per cent said they'd be willing to become a prostitute for a week. And seven per cent said they'd be willing to murder a stranger. Are you shocked?

Maybe you're thinking that you'd never do that. Well, don't be so quick - the survey showed that Christians were 'almost as likely as non-Christians' to falsify their tax returns, call in sick when they weren't, cheat on their mates, and tear down someone else's character to make themselves look better. Think about it - have you done any of those things lately? If you have, read these words carefully and prayerfully: 'Don't lie to each other, for you have stripped off your old sinful nature and all its wicked deeds. Put on your new nature, and be renewed as you learn to know your Creator and become like him' (Colossians 3:9-10 NLT).

Pay particular attention to the words 'put on your new nature'. Honesty is a garment you have to put on every day. So start modelling the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help you God. Think the truth. Face the truth. Love the truth. Pursue the truth. Walk in the truth. From today on make up your mind that you'll always be honest.

Soulfood: Judg 9:34-57 Judg 10 Judg 11:1-40 Matt 17:1-13 Ps 119:73-80 Pro 20:25 Ecc 5:4-6.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 9:02am On Aug 14, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

WHEN THE FAMILY SHATTERS

Wednesday, 14th August, 2019

'Forgive anyone who does you wrong.' Colossians 3:13 CEV

When divorce shatters your family, how can you help your children? First, stop talking about who doesn't accept them, and surround them with people who do. As a parent, your love can go a long way towards compensating for another's neglect. Explain that sometimes people grow together, other times they grow apart. Remind them that 'Ken' and 'Barbie' are just dolls, and prepare them to live in the real world. Encourage them to be strong, not self-pitying. As they get older, teach them that if they meet someone they have to 'change' in order to 'love', they haven't met the right one.

When love is right, it can live with strengths and weaknesses under the same roof, because 'love covers over a multitude of sins' (1 Peter 4:8 NIV ). Real love covers a mistake like an insurance policy covers a driver in an accident. Don't use your child as a weapon to get back at one another. Be sure they understand that you are the one who got divorced, not them. Explain that someone can be unsuited as a companion but still be a good parent. When you take away the blame, you take away the shame and everybody can move forward. Bitterness is a thief, but you don't have to let it steal your peace, your creativity, your song or your hope for a better future.

Remember, that was then - this is now. There must be a 'now' for you and your children, so let it begin today. God's promise is: 'I am about to do something new' (Isaiah 43:19 NLT). So you can start over and rebuild.

Soulfood: Judg 12-15 Matt 17:14-27 Ps 119:81-88 Pro 17:27-28.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 8:33am On Aug 15, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

HOW TO SOLVE PROBLEMS 1

Thursday, 15th August, 2019

'The people became very discouraged on the way.' Numbers 21:4 NKJV

To reach the Promised Land the Israelites had to 'go around the land of Edom' (Numbers 21:4 NKJV). The journey was longer, and 'the people became very discouraged'. There's a lesson here. The best way to escape a problem is to solve it. Between you and your 'promised land' you'll face issues that have to be resolved. Recognising obstacles for what they are - temporary tests of your resolve, ability and faith in God - won't do you much good if you don't know how to handle them.

So let's discuss problem solving. First, recognise that you'll always have problems. A university student sent this email to his mum: 'Dropped out of uni, coming home tomorrow. Prepare Dad.' The email he got back said, 'Dad prepared. Prepare yourself!' Al Davis, who owned the Oakland Raiders American football team, said: 'A great leader doesn't treat problems as special. He treats them as normal. If you're working, expect problems. If you're dealing with family, expect problems. If you're just minding your own business and trying to relax, expect problems. If everything goes according to plan, then be pleasantly surprised. If it doesn't, and you've planned accordingly, you won't get so frustrated. A problem not anticipated is a problem. A problem anticipated is an opportunity.'

Paul said, 'To him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us...be glory...forever' (Ephesians 3:20-21 NKJV). The problem you're facing today is just an opportunity for God to do for you or through you what you can't do by yourself.

Soulfood: Judg 16:1-31 Judg 17 Judg 18 Judg 19:1-15 Matt 18:1-9 Ps 119:89-96 Pro 18:1-5.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 6:10am On Aug 16, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

HOW TO SOLVE PROBLEMS 2

Friday, 16th August, 2019

'The Lord is my strength and my shield.' Psalm 28:7 NKJV

Second, you must identify the real problem. Sometimes a doctor can cure you, other times he or she prescribes medication that enables you to live more comfortably with your problem. But first they have to diagnose it.

Philosopher Abraham Kaplan makes this distinction between problems and predicaments: 'A problem is something you can do something about. If you can't do something about it, then it's not a problem, it's a predicament. That means it's something that must be coped with; something that must be endured. When you treat a predicament as a problem you can become frustrated, angry and depressed. You waste energy and make bad decisions. Then when all your attempts fail, you give up and see yourself as a victim.' Here's an example: if you're married, perhaps you are a 'morning person' and your spouse is a 'night person', or vice versa. That's a predicament. You can't change it. You can't change the way people are wired internally. And if you try, you and your spouse will experience lots of conflict and there'll be no resolution. However, your difficulty in finding ways to spend time together because of your different bents is a problem, and that can be solved.

And here's another thought: sometimes God will deliver you from a bad situation and other times he will use it to develop your character and make you more like Christ. Yes, he can turn your sigh into a song! David said, 'The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped; therefore my heart greatly rejoices, and with my song I will praise him' (Psalm 28:7 NKJV).

Soulfood: Judg 19:16-30 Judg 20 Judg 21:1-25 Matt 18:10-20 Ps 119:97-104 Pro 18:6-8.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 9:11am On Aug 17, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

HOW TO SOLVE PROBLEMS 3

Saturday, 17th August, 2019

'But I said, "Should a man like me run away?...I will not go!"' Nehemiah 6:11 NIV

Third, you must face the problem. When Nehemiah was threatened by his enemies, some of his friends told him to hide in the temple. But he replied, 'Should a man like me run away? Or should someone like me go into the temple to save his life? I will not go' (Nehemiah 6:11 NIV)! As a result Nehemiah rebuilt the walls of Jerusalem in two months - an amazing feat.

Years ago, a popular American television commercial about addiction and abuse showed a typical family at home. The children were playing, the mother was vacuuming and the father was reading the newspaper. They could have been a conventional family anywhere, except for one problem: there was a huge elephant in the room with them. Even though they could see it was making life difficult and they had to work around it, they seemed to be ignoring it and pretending it didn't exist. That ad gave rise to the slogan: 'The elephant in the room.' It applies to problems we don't want to address, so we pretend that everything is fine.

We typically react to a problem in four ways: (1) Flee it: we try to escape, but the problem always follows us. (2) Forget it: we hope it will go away if we don't think about it. But left alone, problems tend to get worse. (3) Fight it: what we resist persists. And problems are no exception. (4) Face it: we look at the issue realistically and deal with it. If we're wise we reach for God's assistance and 'boldly say: "The Lord is my helper; I will not fear"' (Hebrews 13:6 NKJV).

Soulfood: Gal 1-3 Matt 18:21-35 Ps 119:105-112 Pro 18:9.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 11:48am On Aug 18, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

HOW TO SOLVE PROBLEMS 4

Sunday, 18th August, 2019

'The prudent give thought to their steps.' Proverbs 14:15 NIV

Fourth, evaluate the problem carefully and prayerfully. Here's what King Solomon said about reacting impulsively instead of taking time to get all the facts. 'The simple believe anything, but the prudent give thought to their steps' (Proverbs 14:15 NIV); 'To answer before listening - that is folly and shame' (Proverbs 18:13 NIV ).

When patients are in pain, they want quick relief. But the doctor knows that the pain must be diagnosed correctly in order to prescribe the right medication and make the patient whole. For you, that means asking yourself, 'Who or what caused this problem? Am I making a mountain out of a molehill? Has it the potential to do real damage, or will I have forgotten about it this time next week?' If you don't diagnose the problem correctly, you'll have to go back and start over again, at which point the solution will probably be more painful and costly.

Mike Leavitt, former United States Secretary of Health and Human Services, said, 'There is a time in the life of every problem when it is big enough to see, yet small enough to solve.' The key is to find the right time and be patient when implementing the solution. Inexperienced people expect problems to be settled instantly. But experienced people are like the master sculptor who keeps striking the marble block with steady blows of the hammer. Unlike the rookie who expects to split the stone with one blow, he knows if he just keeps working at it, he will eventually succeed.

Soulfood: Gen 6:9-22 Gen 7 Gen 8:1-4 Matt 24:37-51.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 6:38am On Aug 19, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

HOW TO SOLVE PROBLEMS 5

Monday, 19th August, 2019

'A man's heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps.' Proverbs 16:9 NKJV

Fifth, don't just see the problem, look for the opportunity. When President John Kennedy was asked how he became a war hero, he smiled and quipped, 'It was easy. Somebody sunk my boat!' While it's true that certain individuals have a vision and pursue it, many times adversity paves the way to success. This was the case for a man whose small business was failing: 'I was paying a sheriff five dollars a day to postpone a judgement on my small factory. Then came the gas man, and because I couldn't pay his bill he promptly cut off my gas. I was in the midst of certain very important experiments, and to have the gas people plunge me into darkness made me so mad I at once began to read up on gas technique and economics, and resolved I would try to see if electricity couldn't be made to replace gas and give those gas people a run for their money.' That man was Thomas Edison, founder of General Electric.

Problems are wake-up calls for creativity. If you choose to wake up, and get up, problems will prompt you to use your God-given abilities, rally your resources and move forward. The truth is, without certain problems we would end up in the wrong place, with the wrong people, doing the wrong thing. 'A man's heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps' (Proverbs 16:9 NKJV). Out of pain comes purpose, and out of devastation comes direction.

So talk to God about your problem; let him show you the potential it holds and what he has in mind for you.

Soulfood: Gal 4-6 Matt 19:1-14 Ps 119:113-120 Pro 18:10-12.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:32am On Aug 20, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

HOW TO SOLVE PROBLEMS 6

Tuesday, 20th August, 2019

'I told you... (these things) so you can have peace.' John 16:33 NCV

Sixth, you must try to keep your problems in perspective. You've probably heard the saying: 'I grumbled because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.' In a Peanuts cartoon, Snoopy looks in and sees the family sitting around the table enjoying Thanksgiving dinner while he's outside eating dog food. 'How about that?' he thinks. 'Everybody's eating turkey today, but because I'm just a dog I get dog food.' Then he suddenly regains his perspective. 'Of course, things could be worse - I could have been born a turkey!' How big or how difficult our problem appears to be is often a matter of perspective.

Most difficulties we face are pretty insignificant in the larger scheme of things. When a friend gets cancer or loses a loved one, we're reminded of just how petty our issues are. Author James Agee recalled how he once struck up a conversation with an impoverished elderly woman in the heart of Appalachia during the Great Depression. She lived in a tiny shack with dirt floors, no heat and no indoor plumbing. 'What would you do,' he asked, 'if someone gave you some money to help you out?' The woman thought for a moment and answered, 'I guess I'd give it to the poor.'

Realising there are people around you who have much bigger problems than yours brings gratitude and perspective. Jesus told his disciples, 'These things have I spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world' (John 16:33 NKJV).

Soulfood: Lam 1:1-22 Lam 2 Lam 3:1-39 Matt 19:15-30 Ps 119:121-128 Pro 18:13-20.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:50am On Aug 21, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

HOW TO SOLVE PROBLEMS 7

Wednesday, 21st August, 2019

'His intent was that...the manifold wisdom of God should be made known.' Ephesians 3:10 NIV

Seventh, try to see the problem from different angles. Paul talks about 'the manifold wisdom of God'. To understand the word 'manifold', think of a diamond. Each time you turn it, the light exposes a different facet of its beauty. God's wisdom contained in the Bible is like that; it exposes different aspects and approaches to the problem. There's a joke about a woman on trial for killing her third husband. The trial lawyer asked, 'What happened to your first husband?' She replied, 'He died of mushroom poisoning.' He then asked, 'How about your second husband?' The woman replied, 'He died of mushroom poisoning too.' Finally the lawyer inquired about her third husband. She replied, 'He died of a brain concussion.' The lawyer asked, 'How come?' She replied, 'Because he wouldn't eat the mushrooms!' Seriously, most problems have many solutions, and no problem can long withstand the assault of sustained thinking.

So fire up your God-given creativity, apply sustained thinking, and pull together your resources. Included in those resources are people. Who else has solved this problem? How did they do it? Often the problems that surround you aren't nearly as crucial as the people around you. When Joseph came up with a plan that saved Egypt from famine, Pharaoh said, 'Inasmuch as God has shown you all this, there is no one as discerning and wise as you. You shall be over my house, and all my people shall be ruled according to your word' (Genesis 41:39-40 NKJV).

With God's help, you can devise more than one way to solve a problem.

Soulfood: Lam 3:40-66 Lam 4 Lam 5:1-22 Matt 20:1-16 Ps 119:129-136 Pro 18:21.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 9:07am On Aug 22, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

SUCCESS ON GOD'S TERMS

Thursday, 22nd August, 2019

'Obey... this covenant so that you will prosper.' Deuteronomy 29:9 TLB

Two men were talking and one said, 'Do you know the secret of success?' The other replied, 'No, what is it?' The first man said, 'I can't tell you.' His friend asked, 'Why?' The first guy said, 'Because it's a secret!'

Success, as God defines it, is not a secret. he repeatedly says in his Word that he wants us to be successful in life. But, like our faces differ, so does God's plan of success for each of us differ. Success is simply discovering God's will for your life and doing it. Consider high definition television (HDTV). This technology makes possible an additional hundred lines of resolution on a screen so that the picture is virtually lifelike. The industry calls it 'super clarity'. Whether you stand ten feet away or two feet away, the picture looks perfectly clear - no fuzzy lines, no distortions, no shadows.

What would a successful life look like in high definition? In order to find that level of clarity, you need to dig into God's Word and find out what he thinks about success. 'Carefully follow the terms of this covenant, so that you may prosper in everything you do' (Deuteronomy 29:9 NIV). When God created man, one of the first things he told him to do was 'be fruitful and multiply' (Genesis 1:22 NKJV). In the book of Job we read the words, 'Though your beginning was small, yet your latter end would increase abundantly' (Job 8:7 NKJV). But God-ordained success comes with a caveat, and it's non-negotiable: God will bless you - in order to make you a blessing to others.

Soulfood: Amos 1:1-15 Amos 4 Amos 5:1-17 Matt 20:17-28 Ps 119:137-144 Pro 18:22-24.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 6:57am On Aug 23, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

DON'T PERSONALISE REJECTION

Friday, 23rd August, 2019

'Whose weakness was turned to strength.' Hebrews 11:34 NIV

Always try to be open to constructive criticism, but don't personalise rejection. Don't allow your opinion of yourself to be coloured by the opinion of those who fail to see your best qualities and potential. Successful people all have one thing in common: they had to overcome rejection.

In 1902, an aspiring young writer received a rejection letter from the poetry editor of The Atlantic Monthly. Enclosed with a sheaf of poems the 28-eight-year-old poet had sent them was this curt note: 'Our magazine has no room for your vigorous verse.' Yet he became one of the most beloved and popular American poets of all time. Who was he? Robert Frost. In 1907, the University of Bern turned down a PhD dissertation from a young physics student. Yet that student went on to change the scientific world forever. Who was he? Albert Einstein. When a 16-year-old student got his report card from his rhetoric teacher in school, there was a note attached that read: 'A conspicuous lack of success.' But he refused to accept it. Who was he? Winston Churchill.

After the list of heroes of faith in Hebrews 11:34, we read, 'Whose weakness was turned to strength; and who became powerful in battle' (Heberws 11:34 NIV). That can be your story too. David, who experienced spectacular failure in life, wrote, 'The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped' (Psalm 28:7 NKJV). The only people who can let you down are the people you lean on. So lean less on people and more on God.

Soulfood: Amos 5:18-27 Amos 6 Amos 7 Amos 9:1-9:15 Matt 20:29-34 Ps 119:145-160 Pro 19:1-2.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:44am On Aug 24, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

THE 'WEIGHT' KEEPS YOU GOING

Saturday, 24th August, 2019

'I now live...by faith in the Son of God.' Galatians 2:20 NKJV

A man who inherited an antique grandfather clock with a brass pendulum watched as it pushed the big heavy weight back and forth. 'What a burden for a 100-year-old clock to bear,' he thought. So one day he opened the glass case and unhooked the pendulum. 'Why did you remove my weight?' the clock asked. The man replied, 'It was heavy and I wanted to lighten your load.' The old clock exclaimed, 'What you don't understand is, it's the weight that keeps me going!'

Paul said, 'I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and...I now live...by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me' (Galatians 2:20 NKJV). God allows us to experience frustrations and burdens in order to develop our patience and humility and make us more dependent on him. Unlike us, he knows 'it's the weight that keeps us going'. That's why: '"The Lord corrects the people he loves and disciplines those he calls his own." Be patient when you are being corrected!... It is never fun to be corrected. In fact, at the time it is always painful. But if we learn to obey by being corrected, we will do right and live at peace' (Hebrews 12:6-11 CEV).

What 'weight' is God using to produce the nature of Christ in you? Paul goes on to say, 'Mortify...your members which are upon the earth' (Colossians 3:5 KJV). The word 'mortify' is related to mortuary - a place where there's nothing but dead, inactive bodies. In other words, instead of letting your earthly nature rule, ask the Holy Spirit to bring forth new life in you.

Soulfood: Ezek 1-4 Matt 21:1-11 Ps 119:161-168 Pro 19:3-8.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 11:18am On Aug 25, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

YOU'LL BE REWARDED

Sunday, 25th August, 2019

'Your labour is not in vain.' 1 Corinthians 15:58 NKJV

It's easy to forget that this world isn't your home, that you're going to spend eternity with Christ in a home specially prepared for you; and when you get to Heaven, you'll be rewarded for how well you fulfilled your God-given assignment here on earth. The Bible not only teaches this, it spells out the specifics.

Here are three specifics to keep in mind. (1) Your greatest reward will be in Heaven, not on earth. Yes, there are earthly rewards (see Mark 10:30), but God reserves his greatest blessings for the day when 'each man's work will become evident' and 'he will receive a reward' (1 Corinthians 3:13-14 NAS). It's your service now that determines your status then, so always give God your best. (2) Your reward will be based on quality, not quantity. We are impressed with size and status, but God is moved by sincerity. When he rewards you, it will be based on what you did with what you had, and the 'heart' you put into it. That means we all have equal opportunity when it comes to rewards. (3) Your reward may be delayed, but it will never be denied. Think about that. When you've done what was needed yet you were ignored and misunderstood, remember, 'Your labour is not in vain' (1 Corinthians 15:58 NKJV). When you've done the right thing but received neither credit nor acknowledgment, remember, 'Your labour is not in vain.' When you've served, given, and sacrificed, then willingly stepped aside so God would get all the glory, remember, 'Your labour is not in vain.'

Jesus said: 'Your Father, who sees everything, will reward you' (Matthew 6:4 NLT).

Soulfood: 2 Ki 4:42-44 Mark 6:30-44.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:12am On Aug 26, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

HAVE YOU DISCOVERED YOUR LIFE'S PURPOSE

Monday, 26th August, 2019

'Called according to his purpose.' Romans 8:28 NLT

If you want things to work out right for you in life, you need to discover your God-ordained purpose and give yourself fully to it. The Bible says, 'All things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to his purpose' (Romans 8:28 NKJV). The focal point of your life should be discovering and doing God's will. What you believe about will determine the direction you take and what you accomplish. There's a big difference between purpose and talent. You're called according to God's purpose, not your talent. When you are talented but not called, you can be comfortable anywhere. That's because talent, like justice, is blind; it sees all opportunities the same. But when you are aware of your God-given purpose and it governs your life, there are things you simply won't do because you know they'll derail, dilute or defeat God's purpose for you. Being 'called according to his purpose' enables you to focus on the development of your talent only as it relates to God's will for you.

So instead of asking God to bless what you're doing, ask him to reveal his purpose for your life. Once you discover and fulfil that, you'll be blessed, because his plan is already blessed! Let's read it again: 'And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them' (Romans 8:28 NLT).

So have you discovered God's purpose for your life yet? If not, get into his presence and stay there until he reveals it to you. It's the only way you'll ever be totally fulfilled.

Soulfood: Ezek 5-9 Matt 21:12-17 Ps 119:169-176 Pro 19:9-10.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 6:19am On Aug 27, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

DO YOU WANT GOD'S BLESSING

Tuesday, 27th August, 2019

'Jacob...wrestled with [God] until the breaking of the day.' Genesis 32:24 NKJV

Some of your toughest 'battles' in life will be with God. That's because there's a 'Jacob nature' in each of us that resists the will of God, and it has to be dealt with. The same God who asked Jacob, 'What is your name?' will ask you to identify yourself too. And until you're willing to do an honest evaluation and answer truthfully, your life can't change for the better. God had to break Jacob by dislocating his hip, the thing he depended on. Jacob got his blessing at the same time he got his limp.

Ask yourself, 'Do I really want the blessing of God on my life?' Before you answer, stop and ask yourself these questions: (1) Am I willing to let go of what I want if it's not God's will for me? (2) Do I covet what others have instead of waiting for God's provision for me? (3) Do I keep talking about my rights because I haven't fully surrendered to the Lord? (4) Do I truly love others and think of them first? (5) Am I practising the daily disciplines of prayer and Bible reading? (6) Am I allowing God to handle my public relations instead of promoting myself? (7) Am I expressing joy in the midst of adversity and trusting God to reproduce the character of Jesus in me? (cool Am I taking risks in obedience to Christ instead of giving in to fear and playing it safe?

Not only will your answers to these questions determine your discipleship, your direction and your destiny - they will also determine your level of blessing.

Soulfood: Ezek 10-13 Matt 21:18-32 Ps 84 Pro 19:11.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:43am On Aug 28, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

LOOKING LIKE OUR FATHER

Wednesday, 28th August, 2019

'Until Christ is formed in you.' Galatians 4:19 NIV

When you become a Christian, you discover that part of you wants to walk 'in newness of life' (Romans 6:4 NKJV), while another part wants to walk 'according to the flesh' (Romans 8:5 NKJV). And you would, if it weren't for God's Spirit who lives in your divided house and 'groans' when you do certain things, challenging you with God's Word (see John 16:7-14). Your new heart is still living in your old body.

One author writes: 'When I first came to Christ, I thought others had mastered a level of holiness that always eluded me. So I attacked my carnality with passion! I didn't realise that everything that's born needs time to grow. I was expecting an immediate, all-inclusive metamorphosis that would make me the kind of person God could really love. I now realise his love isn't doled out on a merit system: if you do well, he loves you, and if you don't, he doesn't.'

God doesn't want do-it-yourself righteousness. The Bible says, 'He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ' (Philippians 1:6 NKJV). Paul writes, 'My dear children, for whom I am again in the pains of childbirth until Christ is formed in you' (Galatians 4:19 NIV). God alone knows the process it will take for the Christ who saved you to be formed in you! We each travel our own paths at our own pace, but our goal is the same: to bear a greater resemblance to our heavenly Father. And getting us there is God's job - so let him do it. Your job is to keep. walking with him day by day as he does it.

Soulfood: Ezek 14:1-23 Ezek 15 Ezek 16:1-52 Matt 21:33-46 Ps 103:1-12 Pro 19:12-16.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 9:07am On Aug 29, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

GOD HAS PROMISED TO BE WITH YOU

Thursday, 29th August, 2019

'As I was with Moses, so I will be with you.' Joshua 1:5 NIV

The Bible says, 'After the death of Moses...the Lord said to Joshua..."Moses my servant is dead...get ready to cross the River Jordan into the land I am about to give to [you]"' (Joshua:1:1-2 NIV ). Joshua knew Moses was dead, and Israel knew it too. So why did God remind him? Because Joshua wasn't just following a leader, he was following a legend. Moses had been Israel's security blanket for forty years. He was the quintessential go-to guy. He led an entire generation out of 400 years of captivity in a single night. He parted a sea with the wave of a stick. He prayed and God rained down bread from Heaven each day. When the nation was about to die of thirst, he struck a rock and water filled canteens. By any measurement, Moses was a massive success. But why? Was it his ingenuity? His creativity? His genius? No, it was the presence of God in his life. But now Moses was gone, and for Joshua that was bad news. But the good news was that God remained. 'No one will be able to stand up against you all the days of your life. As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you' (Joshua 1:5 NIV).

You say, 'But that's an Old Testament promise.' Then read this: 'For no matter how many promises God has made, they are "Yes" in Christ. And so through him the "Amen" is spoken by us to the glory of God' (2 Corinthians 1:20 NIV ).

Today, God has promised to be with you. Believe him!

Soulfood: Ezek 16:53-63 Ezek 17 Ezek 18 Ezek 19:1-14 Matt 22:1-14 Ps 103:13-22 Pro 19:17.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:00am On Aug 30, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

LIVE FOR WHAT MATTERS MOST

Friday, 30th August, 2019

'I came naked from my mother's womb, and I will be naked when I leave.' Job 1:21 NLT

Have you ever heard the saying, 'Old too soon, wise too late'? Don't let that be your story. Three of the titans who built America were Vanderbilt, Carnegie and Rockefeller. After attending Vanderbilt's funeral, Carnegie and Rockefeller spent the rest of their lives seeing how much money they could give away to do good. Death has a way of showing us the brevity of life and changing our perspective. Carnegie died in his eighties and Rockefeller in his nineties, but they both died! We all do. The question is will you merely make a living or will you make a difference?

One businessman told his friend: 'I don't think I'm trapped on this treadmill forever, but I'm certainly involved with it right now...it's the old merry-go-round of how much money is enough? And it's never enough. Three years ago I thought: "Just a little more...now I make twice as much, and it's still not enough."' Solomon writes, 'He who loves money will not be satisfied with money, nor he who loves abundance with its income' (Ecclesiastes 5:10 NAS). Have you told yourself that when you get a certain amount of money you'll be happy and secure? Maybe and maybe not. When you trust in anything other than God, you live fearfully because you'll always be vulnerable to circumstances you cannot control.

Jesus bottom-lined it this way: 'Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need' (Matthew 6:33 NLT).

Soulfood: Ezek 20-21 Matt 22:15-22 Ps 111 Pro 19:18-20.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 6:13am On Aug 31, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

A STATEMENT OF PURPOSE TO LIVE BY

Saturday, 31st August, 2019

'Always give yourselves fully.' 1 Corinthians 15:58 NIV

Next time you pass a McDonald's, think about this statement from its founder Ray Kroc. 'Press on! Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not: unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.'

As you read about the heroes of faith listed in Hebrews chapter 11, you discover that they shut the mouths of lions, administered justice, fulfilled promises and even raised the dead. It's a spectacular list of accomplishments. But in the middle of the account, you also find these words: 'Whose weakness was turned to strength; and who became powerful in battle' (Hebrews 11:34 NIV). Notice, they started out weak and became strong. How? Through persistence and determination! The problem is we're not always willing to fight for what we want. But without conflict, there can be no conquest. An Anglican bishop once quipped, 'Why is it that everywhere the apostle Paul went they had a revolution, but everywhere I go they have a cup of tea?' Paul didn't blend in, he stood out! On his first missionary journey, he was stoned and left for dead. On his second, they threw him in prison. And how did he handle it? On one occasion, he prayed and praised God until his prison doors opened.

So the word for you today is: 'Stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully' (1 Corinthians 15:58 NIV). If you're looking for a statement of purpose to live by, adopt this one.

Soulfood: Ezek 22-23 Matt 22:23-33 Ps 142 Pro 19:21-23.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 2:05pm On Sep 01, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

'DO RIGHT, LOVE MERCY, WALK HUMBLY'

Sunday, 1st September, 2019

'What does the Lord require of you?' Micah 6:8 NIV

The prophet Micah asks: 'With what shall I come before the Lord...Shall I come before him with burnt offerings...with thousands of rams, with ten thousand rivers of olive oil? Shall I offer my firstborn for...the sin of my soul?' (Micah 6:6-7 NIV). Do you feel like you can never be good enough to please God? Does religion look to you like a set of impossible, guilt-inducing demands designed to appease a distant deity who takes delight in making us squirm? Thank God for Micah, who comes along and dispels that notion by telling us, 'He has told you, O man, what is good' (Micah 6:8 ESV).

Because you've been redeemed and filled with God's Spirit, you can: (1) 'Do right' even when nobody else is. Why? In order to maintain your confidence before God (see 1 John 3:21-22)! Nothing in your life is more important than that. (2) 'Love mercy.' Remember the old Nancy Sinatra hit song, 'These boots were made for walkin', and that's just what they'll do. One of these days these boots are gonna walk all over you'? Jesus went through life lifting people up, not walking all over them. And his Word to you today is: 'Go and do likewise' (Luke 10:37 NKJV). (3) 'Walk humbly with your God.' When God promotes you, your greatest challenge will be to make sure he gets all the glory. Every good thing you have today is a gift from him; try to remember that!

So the word for you today is: 'Do right...love mercy...walk humbly.'

Soulfood: Jonah 1:10-17 Jonah 2:1-2:10 Matt 12:38-42.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:18am On Sep 02, 2019
THE WORD FOR TODAY

WHEN YOU HAVE A VISION

Monday, 2nd September, 2019

'I was not disobedient to the vision.' Acts 26:19 NIV

When God gives you a vision for your life, you need to know how to: (1) Hold it. Your vision is governed by a time frame: 'The vision is...for an appointed time...though it tarries, wait for it' (Habakkuk 2:3 NKJV). Some of us can conceive a vision, but we can't carry it to full term because we're not willing to endure the stretching and discomfort involved. We rush ahead of God and our vision is stillborn, or too weak to survive. Jesus said, 'That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit' (John 3:6 NKJV). When your vision is born of the Spirit, it'll be sustained by the Spirit. But when it's born of the flesh, you're on your own!

(2) Hide it. It's a mistake to share your vision with those who can't appreciate it. Joseph did that, and he landed in a pit. Not everybody will celebrate your success, especially if your light shines brighter than theirs. So ask God for discernment. Judas may seem like your friend right now, but inevitably he'll betray you.

(3) Water it. Read these two Scriptures carefully and prayerfully: 'David strengthened himself in the Lord' (1 Samuel 30:6 ESV); 'Building yourselves up on your most holy faith' (Jude 20 NKJV). You must know how to encourage and build yourself up spiritually and how to water your vision. God told Habakkuk, 'Write the vision, and make it plain' (Habakkuk 2:2 NKJV). Write your vision on an index card and carry it with you. And start acting like the person you expect to be when it becomes reality - and it will!

Soulfood: Ezek 24:1-27 Ezek 25 Ezek 26 Ezek 27:1-24 Matt 22:34-46 Ps 20 Pro 19:24-29.

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (26) (Reply)

Nigerian Man Berates Church For Holding Service During Working Hours (Video) / The Solemnnity Of Christ The King, All Catholics Please Stand Up!!! / Pastor Oritsejafor & His Wife Kiss In Church (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 210
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.