Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,862 members, 7,813,944 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:16 PM

Please Advise Me, I Am At Cross Roads On What To Do - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Please Advise Me, I Am At Cross Roads On What To Do (38967 Views)

Since I Slept With My Staff She No Longer Respects Me Pls Advise Me / I Am Confused: Please Advise Me! / I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Advise Me, I Am At Cross Roads On What To Do by SmartMugu: 11:42pm On Oct 01, 2017
I'd start by saying I value your personality for aiming to be industrious, being a lady. That's a rare virtue many ladies lack these days. You are on the right path.

My opinion is just stay in Nigeria to complete your first degree and build your business since you may not be that financially stable to afford your tuition abroad. When you eventually get wherever you intend to head to, you can use your degree.

It now depends on what is 'abroad' to you and your friend.
If you're heading to one of the African countries, it's easy to run back home to raise tuition fees. If you're thinking about Europe or North America, think twice if you don't have anyone there to support you. Just my one cent.
Re: Please Advise Me, I Am At Cross Roads On What To Do by Notatribalist(m): 11:43pm On Oct 01, 2017
Confused977:
Good afternoon everyone here. I have been an ardent of this forum so, I felt it wouldn't be bad to bare my heart here as I know I'd surely get an advice that will make me see clearer. Please bear with me as I am not very perfect when it comes to expressing my self in writing. Pls pardon my write-up should you see it as too long. I just want to bare it all so one can know what to tell me. Thanks.
My Name is Amanda. I lost my parents when I was sixteen . I am from a family of five. I was about to sit for WAEC before the sudden demise of my parents. I had to drop out of school cus I couldn't pay bills and my older siblings were still struggling, so I got a job. I worked as a cleaner say for 2 years and I was able to save up something and enrolled for WAEC AND GCE and I passed. I tried my first admission it didn't so the second year someone told me to try a Polytechnic and fortunately I got admitted. I joined school but I kept working and I saved up some bucks and at the end of my ND at federal poly Auchi my G. P was 3.40 yes! I cried for joy.
I. T (Industrial Training) started and I felt it would make more sense If I could start something little within my environment. Since I knew a lot about female bags and wears I held on to the idea and started. My customer base grew as I went from department to department showing and convincing the "big girls" in school about my goods. I approached just anybody so long you female. I kept moving at that pace until I was heavily sought after. My room became my boutique.
Why I am confused now
All glory to God I have been able to establish a good relationship with people who sale to me on credit which allows me own varieties and sell more.
1. Not to exaggerate, I make a minimum of 40 to 45k a month as my own.
2. I ain't rich but I think I am comfortable for a young lady of my age. I will be 24 3rd October.
I focused more on my business and I didn't join my mates for the HND session. My reason was; after school now, I go carry certificate they Waka up and down. Make I kuku use this small money wey I don save use am run my business first as I thought school can wait. could I be wrong?

# I have a course mate who traveled overseas after our ND and she has been encouraging me to come over since I could afford the travel expenses (not to lie, I was considering this also which made me forget going back for my HND.)
Now my question is if you were me would you go back to school? I am of the opinion that schooling in Nigeria without a good back up could leave me frustrated after graduation. No job.
# if you were me would you just continue with your business and open up a shop or would you travel out, get a job and go to school there?
Pls advice Me as I would be turning 24 in no time and I am JUST CONFUSED embarassed I have the feeling that any decision I make at this point would either make or destroy me permanently. Pls help a sister embarassed
Should I go back to school? cus my dad always wanted me to get an education but I feel I should be able to know what works as times have changed.
Pls I am open to any form of advice. God bless.
Cc. Lalasticlala, seun or any mod. I'd appreciate if you can move it to the right section or where it could get a wider view. Thanks
Thorpido
Raine80 et all...
BiafranBushboy
Hakeem4
I can't really remember usernames embarassed
my dear sis,I respect you for being a workaholic. Combining studies with bag business is not for lazy ones.your case is quiet complicated,and as you rightly said any decision you make now can make or break you.now the greatest mistake you can make is to abandone your already established customers base here in search for greener pasture in another man's land.all that glitter is not gold,don't let anyone deceive you,no place like home.all over the word Nigerians are suffering, they can't even afford to go back home,so please continue doing your business and prioritize savings.save before you spend not the other way round. As for going for HND,I won't advice you against this because I wouldn't want to incure the wrath of some professors here.but I think now that your business is bumming well,you have to leverage it and make good money from it,you can further your education later,you're still very young.and by then you will even be more comfortable financially and that's when education is sweet..summary of more advice is this.concentrate on youbusiness for now and ignore every other thing,when you make your money from this business you can decide to either continue your education or travel abroad.I am writing this base on my personal experience..

2 Likes

Re: Please Advise Me, I Am At Cross Roads On What To Do by colins100: 11:44pm On Oct 01, 2017
hi.first of all i wnt to say well done u'v done so much for urself and dat is marveling.ok
Now i am one of those who belive so much in succeeding n nija dat i wuld resent u going outside d country to meet dat ur frnd whom for now based on ur write up,we hav no clue on wat she could be into.

Now i belive growing ur biz shuld be ur focus now.ur can complete ur education latter.if u focus on developing wat u av at present u could hit big time.with basic cash flow u can now further ur education.
u can even apply for distance education dat giv u enough tim of ur own to create wateva u wnt.

so my dear it's evident dat u are smart nd d Lord's grace s wit u.so develop wat u hv now.ok

1 Like

Re: Please Advise Me, I Am At Cross Roads On What To Do by HerXLNC(f): 11:44pm On Oct 01, 2017
Re: Please Advise Me, I Am At Cross Roads On What To Do by jaxxy(m): 11:44pm On Oct 01, 2017
Confused977:
Good afternoon everyone here. I have been an ardent of this forum so, I felt it wouldn't be bad to bare my heart here as I know I'd surely get an advice that will make me see clearer. Please bear with me as I am not very perfect when it comes to expressing my self in writing. Pls pardon my write-up should you see it as too long. I just want to bare it all so one can know what to tell me. Thanks.
My Name is Amanda. I lost my parents when I was sixteen . I am from a family of five. I was about to sit for WAEC before the sudden demise of my parents. I had to drop out of school cus I couldn't pay bills and my older siblings were still struggling, so I got a job. I worked as a cleaner say for 2 years and I was able to save up something and enrolled for WAEC AND GCE and I passed. I tried my first admission it didn't so the second year someone told me to try a Polytechnic and fortunately I got admitted. I joined school but I kept working and I saved up some bucks and at the end of my ND at federal poly Auchi my G. P was 3.40 yes! I cried for joy.
I. T (Industrial Training) started and I felt it would make more sense If I could start something little within my environment. Since I knew a lot about female bags and wears I held on to the idea and started. My customer base grew as I went from department to department showing and convincing the "big girls" in school about my goods. I approached just anybody so long you female. I kept moving at that pace until I was heavily sought after. My room became my boutique.
Why I am confused now
All glory to God I have been able to establish a good relationship with people who sale to me on credit which allows me own varieties and sell more.
2. I ain't rich but I think I am comfortable for a young lady of my age. I will be 24 3rd October.
I focused more on my business and I didn't join my mates for the HND session. My reason was; after school now, I go carry certificate they Waka up and down. Make I kuku use this small money wey I don save use am run my business first as I thought school can wait. could I be wrong?

# I have a course mate who traveled overseas after our ND and she has been encouraging me to come over since I could afford the travel expenses (not to lie, I was considering this also which made me forget going back for my HND.)
Now my question is if you were me would you go back to school? I am of the opinion that schooling in Nigeria without a good back up could leave me frustrated after graduation. No job.
# if you were me would you just continue with your business and open up a shop or would you travel out, get a job and go to school there?
Pls advice Me as I would be turning 24 in no time and I am JUST CONFUSED embarassed I have the feeling that any decision I make at this point would either make or destroy me permanently. Pls help a sister embarassed
Should I go back to school? cus my dad always wanted me to get an education but I feel I should be able to know what works as times have changed.
Cc. Lalasticlala, seun or any mod. I'd appreciate if you can move it to the right section or where it could get a wider view. Thanks
Thorpido
Raine80 et all...
BiafranBushboy
Hakeem4

Hello dear nice to see ur focus and determination. To u question going to skol is important and u cud still do both skoling and biz on d side smhow or u cud do a partime bt dont stop at just ur ND However it also comes down to ur passion and ur ability to expand it bt finishing skol is always best. HND is just 2years and with ur ND grade i can even get a direct entry to a university quite easily to spend just 3years. If u need help with d direct entry i can help cos ive help sm1 in d past. Also getting a job isnt dat difficult after skol if u stay positive and hv a good grade and u seem intelligent.

On traveling abroad the country u go to mattets greatly so seek advice on dat before u venture on it. Canada and probably US is good just smwhere u can get an admission and work. Cheers

1 Like

Re: Please Advise Me, I Am At Cross Roads On What To Do by Nobody: 11:46pm On Oct 01, 2017
My dear, you are a very young hard working lady..I am going to be very blunt. Do not do it..going abroad is like resetting your life. Especially when you don't have a certificate. There are many people in Europe who wished they had remained in Naija. They can't even come home again because of the shame and humiliation...I know a lot of them. Ask your friend what she is doing wherever she is... staying in Naija and doing your HND is much better... Europe or America is not as good as it sounds.. it might take you alot of years before you stand on your feet in Europe or America. But in Naija you are already made. Worst case scenario, go to a neighboring country and grab a degree if that's the problem. Because I understand you might be feeling some type of way about your level of education. Nobody will see you going to school. They will just hear that you have a degree. In my view, Nigerians are one of the happiest people in the world.. we simply don't have debts.. The so called advanced countries are so indebted that they don't think of anything except how to pay off their debt. Do not do it my dear. It's better to live happy than to be a slave for life..I can tell that you are a happy girl..I would say; remain happy.. do not turn it into sadness..remember my username..so that if you eventually travel.. you can at least recall that I adviced you...good luck..

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Please Advise Me, I Am At Cross Roads On What To Do by crisisexpert321(m): 11:46pm On Oct 01, 2017
Visit 08076750300 WhatsApp or ano7675@gmail.com. Professional counsellor will attend to you.
Re: Please Advise Me, I Am At Cross Roads On What To Do by cooljoe(m): 11:48pm On Oct 01, 2017
45-50k. hmm dats normal ds days o. now I'm around ur age bt a bit older, I'm a lawyer- dats 5years in skool, 1 year 4 law skool, nd anoda 1year 4 nysc. nd sometimes all I c in a month is 50k. pls continue ur buisness, seek expansion nd do it side by side ur skool(hnd ain't bad). nd wen dias a clash, u can have one of d younger students help out, wit tips of cause. get d cert 4 wat ts worth bt arm urself wit knowledge, pray to ur God, work smarrt and d world is urs. best wishes

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Advise Me, I Am At Cross Roads On What To Do by raymondFirstborn(m): 11:50pm On Oct 01, 2017
kimbraa:
I would advice you don't take whatever your friend overseas is saying seriously 'cause you could end up in a brothel in a foreign land as a prostitute. They know how to traffic naive girls.

Secondly, HND is as good as O'level in the Nigerian labour market. If you were able to school and venture into entrepreneurship then I'll advice you further your education while continuing what you've been doing in the past.

kai.God why?

imagine saying HND is as good as O'level, thunder fire that your mouth.

You probably dont know what a polytechnic is about.No be your fault, na Nigeria cos am.

Do you know the former MD of firstbank went to a polytechnic.?

10 Likes

Re: Please Advise Me, I Am At Cross Roads On What To Do by Apina(m): 11:51pm On Oct 01, 2017
Confused977:
Why I am confused now

Thorpido
Raine80 et all...
BiafranBushboy
Hakeem4
A bird at hand is worth 10 in the bush.

3 Likes

Re: Please Advise Me, I Am At Cross Roads On What To Do by virtuedagirl(f): 11:51pm On Oct 01, 2017
I will advice you continue your business, try to further your education preferably in a university close to you. When you have your certificate then you think of travelling out.
Re: Please Advise Me, I Am At Cross Roads On What To Do by joelfm(m): 11:52pm On Oct 01, 2017
Confused977:
Why I am confused now

Thorpido
Raine80 et all...
BiafranBushboy
Hakeem4

Lady, it is good you should consider your education together with your business. Both are doable at the same time. We have part time courses in open university, unilag, online etc. .
Re: Please Advise Me, I Am At Cross Roads On What To Do by hakeem4(m): 11:53pm On Oct 01, 2017
Confused977:
Why I am confused now

Thorpido
Raine80 et all...
BiafranBushboy
Hakeem4
I'd Rather continue my business

1 Like

Re: Please Advise Me, I Am At Cross Roads On What To Do by osile2012: 11:53pm On Oct 01, 2017
My advice for you is don't go broke. If traveling will make u go broke, avoid it, if education will make u go broke, avoid it.

If your business grows , u can study to any level in Any country, but if you go broke trying to get more education, it's over for u.

When your done with school, you will see a lot of people who finished before your who are still jobless and broke. But you won't see a lot of people who have become rich.

Keep your eyes on the money.

3 Likes

Re: Please Advise Me, I Am At Cross Roads On What To Do by S2kluv: 11:54pm On Oct 01, 2017
Am sorry oooo

But if you are not careful

Some nairaland advice can compound your problem
Re: Please Advise Me, I Am At Cross Roads On What To Do by favorb: 11:55pm On Oct 01, 2017
I am based outside Nigeria. Going abroad is good. But I would like you to know that everything is not as rosy as people want to portray it. Even menial jobs are not always available. I will passionately advice you to pursue your business and your education on part-time. Or if you can pursue both together on full-time. Grow your business and client base. There is no time you will not be able to travel abroad. If you have good business and have good products, you will be able to go to any country at will. Don't be deceived. There are quite a number of people abroad here that are unhappy with their situation. Some would gladly return home if they could come back to what they were doing. I will recommend that you pray, be personally convinced of what God would like you to do. No matter any advice given, when the chips are down you will bear the consequence. Remember that moving somewhere else means starting afresh. The Lord will lead and guide you into taking the right decision IJN.

6 Likes

Re: Please Advise Me, I Am At Cross Roads On What To Do by room089: 11:59pm On Oct 01, 2017
Younger sis, I do really love your hustling spirit, keep it up and don't be deterred.

My advice is this: since you can save from nothing to see yourself through in Waec and still hustle to wriggle through OND, hustling to complete your HND that lasts just two years wouldn't be an herculean task. Remember, that was your dad's wish. Go for it girl!

As for the obodo oyibo stuff, hope you know that when you cross over, you will have to start all over again: you will search for a job (job's over there are not so easy to come by these days). Then you make some savings before talking about school. Do you know how long that can take?

How sure are you that your friend is telling you the truth that is greener over there? Hope you know that what works for A may not work for B? Why don't you clinch to that which is working already for you?

Yes our beloved country has been messed up: nothing works. No jobs. But still God still makes way for some people to get good and well paying jobs. Are they all better than you? Or are you limiting your God?

I greet you!

2 Likes

Re: Please Advise Me, I Am At Cross Roads On What To Do by Lugar14(m): 12:00am On Oct 02, 2017
If you can get student visa to travel abroad and further your education and eventually get work it is far better than staying in this sheet hole call Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Please Advise Me, I Am At Cross Roads On What To Do by hakeem4(m): 12:00am On Oct 02, 2017
Florblu:
Babe, please travel out of the country that's if your friend is capable of securing you a permanent visa. Over there you can earn money with your skill(making bags) and go to school as well.

do not be deceived, there's nothing there
Re: Please Advise Me, I Am At Cross Roads On What To Do by Nobody: 12:02am On Oct 02, 2017
Re: Please Advise Me, I Am At Cross Roads On What To Do by banmee(m): 12:02am On Oct 02, 2017
Confused977:
Why I am confused now

Thorpido
Raine80 et all...
BiafranBushboy
Hakeem4

Be careful. Never emigrate to another country without the right papers.

2 Likes

Re: Please Advise Me, I Am At Cross Roads On What To Do by Nobody: 12:02am On Oct 02, 2017
raymondFirstborn:

kai.God why?

imagine saying HND is as good as O'level, thunder fire that your mouth.

You probably dont know what a polytechnic is about.No be your fault, na Nigeria cos am.

Do you know the former MD of firstbank went to a polytechnic.?
Was his certificate upgraded or not?. Tell me what a polytechnic in Nigeria is about...people who were unable to pass JAMB and POST UTME. No be me do you. grin
Re: Please Advise Me, I Am At Cross Roads On What To Do by raymondFirstborn(m): 12:03am On Oct 02, 2017
kimbraa:
Don't take my post personal. My point is, she should further to get a higher playing field than her fellow HND holders. I never said I'm better 'cause anyone with common sense will know that OND/HND in Nigerian labour market is equivalent to SSCE though you might think it's better.

I went to a polytechnic and I know where I stand .My school Lagos state poly visited LASU for a program and guess what? we flawed LASU.The so called BSC grads are a group of theoretical spoon fed graduates, why do you think most Nigerian grads are not employable.?

2 Likes

Re: Please Advise Me, I Am At Cross Roads On What To Do by raymondFirstborn(m): 12:05am On Oct 02, 2017
kimbraa:
Was his certificate upgraded or not?. Tell me what a polytechnic in Nigeria is about...people who were unable to pass JAMB and POST UTME. No be me do you. grin

he did not upgrade anything, doesn't even Have an MSC, yet this guy managed graduates with BSC and MSC certificates and even PHD.
Re: Please Advise Me, I Am At Cross Roads On What To Do by dont8(m): 12:06am On Oct 02, 2017
kimbraa:
I would advice you don't take whatever your friend overseas is saying seriously 'cause you could end up in a brothel in a foreign land as a prostitute. They know how to traffic naive girls.

Secondly, HND is as good as O'level in the Nigerian labour market. If you were able to school and venture into entrepreneurship then I'll advice you further your education while continuing what you've been doing in the past.
You're shallow minded sis, what's the difference between an HND holder and BSc holder if not that one is practical oriented and the latter is theory based. If you have said OND is equivalent to SSCE (which of ofcourse is not), it would have still made a little sense.

The way we down grade academic pursuit in this part of the world is alarmingly worrisome; well, I blame our government for the disparity anyway.

To the OP, please be well guided before you leap, it's not always rosy at the other end. I would advise you still continue with your business and probably expand it or diversify as the case may be and use the proceeds to further your education, God will be with you as you take a step of faith.

10 Likes

Re: Please Advise Me, I Am At Cross Roads On What To Do by Nobody: 12:07am On Oct 02, 2017
Confused977:
Why I am confused now

Thorpido
Raine80 et all...
BiafranBushboy
Hakeem4

Nigeria right now, your certificate doesn't really guarantee you a job. I know people with good result in professional courses still looking for a job till date, even with a master degree.

My advice is you should put all your resources in your business and expand on it. Most people abroad today are those who didn't have any business or job back in the Nigeria. You 're an Entrepreneur, build on that. If you are to travel abroad it should be for business purposes not to go work there. If it was US, UK, Australia or Canada I would have encouraged you to go but Dubai, most of the jobs done there by our ladies is prostitution.

One thing you should know people give advice base on their life experience. So don't be carried away with the advice you get here. Weigh your options.

1 Like

Re: Please Advise Me, I Am At Cross Roads On What To Do by Nobody: 12:08am On Oct 02, 2017
raymondFirstborn:

he did not upgrade anything, doesn't even Have an MSC, yet this guy managed graduates with BSC and MSC certificates and even PHD.
You obviously didn't read much about him. Tell me his name in full let me google his biography and get back to you. A bank group managing director without an ICAN?. grin

1 Like

Re: Please Advise Me, I Am At Cross Roads On What To Do by Nobody: 12:08am On Oct 02, 2017
It depends on where you are traveling to.
If you"re going to canada, US, Germany and the likes, dnt thinkk twice, go for it.
But if it's Italy, Dubai and the likes forget about it, na runz!
Re: Please Advise Me, I Am At Cross Roads On What To Do by Depreacherman(m): 12:09am On Oct 02, 2017
While going through your write up; something just dropped in my heart that your husband is in Nigeria!

Don't take the Holy Spirit for granted...I'm an Omega child.... you should understand since you schooled in auchi .

....now my advice... , continue with your education + your business BUT spend wisely and apply wisdom, since you finished ND @auchi you should know students you can share room with just to reduce the spending.

Forget the job issue.... in the process of your academics something will happen that will surprise you.

Mark this today!
Re: Please Advise Me, I Am At Cross Roads On What To Do by Nobody: 12:09am On Oct 02, 2017
dont8:
You're shallow minded sis, what's the difference between an HND holder and BSc holder if not that one is practical oriented and the latter is theory based. If you have said OND is equivalent to (which of ofcourse is not), it would have still made a little sense.

The way we down grade academic pursuit in this part of the world is alarmingly worrisome; well, I blame our government for the disparity anyway.

That's the reason I said most advice she gets here base on personal experience how can some equate HND to SSCE?
Re: Please Advise Me, I Am At Cross Roads On What To Do by dont8(m): 12:10am On Oct 02, 2017
kimbraa:
Imagine, you can't even differentiate Polytechnic education from a University education, it's such a shame on your part and a waste of University education on you.

5 Likes

Re: Please Advise Me, I Am At Cross Roads On What To Do by chiochio1(m): 12:10am On Oct 02, 2017
As much as you don't want to be a prostitute, don't travel, If you eventually travel you will be one and you have gone against your wish....You will try very hard not to be but give me 2 weeks you will be one and start enjoying the bulk but the end part of it is what I don't know if you will enjoy it also....I'm talking from experience cos I have been around the world including Dubai, We run this street and I have to advise you as a daughter and a sister cancel anything abroad travelling, for now, Focus on that your small business a time will come it will lead you to any country or maybe that rightful husband or b/f will show up...when you get there you will see that there are many strategies to lure you into prostitution and you can handle it.

Thank me later or write me about your regret later if at the end you did not follow my advice and directives lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Confused977:
Why I am confused now

Thorpido
Raine80 et all...
BiafranBushboy
Hakeem4

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Nigerians In Diaspora Support Mechanic Blessing, Abuja Female Mechanic (Pics) / Deep Down Inside Me, I Feel Guilt And Hated Myself For What I Have Been Doing / Hilarious Chat Between A Boss And His Employee(snapshot)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 176
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.