Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,000 members, 7,835,373 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:23 AM

Yoruba Hebrew Heritage - Culture (58) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Hebrew Heritage (138451 Views)

Yoruba Hebrew Heritage (End Of Discussion) / Yoruba Hebrew Heritage (Thanksgiving Thread) / Unanswered Questions On Yoruba's Hebrew Heritage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) ... (97) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by TAO11(f): 5:53pm On Apr 27, 2020
MetaPhysical:

Kaaba - The Holy mosque in Mecca. In Arabic Kaab means a place of exaltation Kaabiyesi in Yoruba means exaltation.

Lol ... Actually that's not correct.

Ka'ba actually simply means:

"Any square ["or cubic"] house, or chamber, or the like"

I'm actually quoting from E. W. Lane's Arabic-English Lexicon.

If you happen to know some Arabic like me, then you may confirm this in the lexicon under the entry:

"Kaf, 'ain, ba, and ta-morbuto" (In Arabic characters tho)

Cheers!
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by TAO11(f): 5:58pm On Apr 27, 2020
gregyboy:

[s]You never get sense..........

Dont mention me before you begin raining abuses on your generation
Learn to debate without been so emotional

If you have to pass any information do it without been emotional so your message will be passed
Many people have complained on your fiery tongue but instead to cool it down, you keep adding fire to it..........

Go and learn how to talk no one is your mate or your family members you will be rainy insult on because they are debating you...........[/s]

No one insulted you, Edo boy.

I only asked for Yoruba and Italian names.

I also asked if you're aware that Ewuare2 (just like his fathers) came to Oranmiyan grove in Ife to seal his ascension rites. Lol
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by MetaPhysical: 6:00pm On Apr 27, 2020
TAO11:

Lol ... Actually that's not correct.

Ka'ba actually simply means:

"Any square ["or cubic"] house, or chamber, or the like"

I'm actually quoting from E. W. Lane's Arabic-English Lexicon.

If you happen to know some Arabic like me, then you may confirm this in the lexicon under the entry:

"Kaf, 'ain, ba, and ta-morbuto" (In Arabic characters tho)

Cheers!

lol.

You do know that language interpretations are approximates. Correct?

It is actually Al Kaaba. Alif, Lam, Kaf, Ain, Ba.

You made an error by transposing a spiritual word ...or sacred expression to its literal equivalent.

This woul be like transposing YHWH to mean God....but it actually carries a deeper meaning than the literal translation.
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by macof(m): 6:04pm On Apr 27, 2020
MetaPhysical:

God bless you! This has always been my position. This thread is vast....if you start from page1 to where we are one you will see a consistency in my position.

In fact, this has also been the position of absolutesuccess (prexios). Same with Obalufon and Olu13.
Lmao.
This is some drastic 180 turn

Even the topic of the thread shows you are lying

You all have been promoting the idea of yoruba having semitic heritage, of being the people(or among) talked about in the bible

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by MetaPhysical: 6:06pm On Apr 27, 2020
macof:

Lmao.
This is some drastic 180 turn

Even the topic of the thread shows you are lying

You all have been promoting the idea of yoruba having semitic heritage, of being the people(or among) talked about in the bible

I challenge you to bring a conflict in my position from past postings on the subject.
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by TAO11(f): 6:12pm On Apr 27, 2020
MetaPhysical:

lol.

You do know that language interpretations are approximates. Correct?

It is actually Al Kaaba. Alif, Lam, Kaf, Ain, Ba.

You made an error by transposing a spiritual word ...or sacred expression to its literal equivalent.

Lol, very funny.

"Al" is only a definite article that prefixes a common noun. It is simply "The".

It has nothing to do peculiarly with the word "Ka'bah".

Okay, "The Cube"! What has changed? Another different word introduced at the beginning?? Nothing really changed about "Ka'ba".

Don't worry too much bro, it is obvious this is not your forte, and I mean no insult.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I build a "Ka'ba" for slaughtering pigs, it doesn't change the fact that the word Ka'ba" simply means a square or cubic chamber.

The purpose it serves is not what makes it a "Ka'ba". A "ka'ba" can be made to serve any purpose.

I'm shocked you seem to be contesting this.
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by gregyboy(m): 6:16pm On Apr 27, 2020
TAO11:

No one insulted you, Edo boy.

I only asked for Yoruba and Italian names.

I also asked if you're aware that Ewuare2 (just like his fathers) came to Oranmiyan grove in Ife to seal his ascension rites. Lol

This is what am talking about.....

Your overzealous emotional comment

Why lol why are you so been ecstatic while quoting......

Just learn to remove emotions while debating

Most times am forced to believe you got some psychological problems

How would a lady be so abusive to your extent
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by TAO11(f): 6:28pm On Apr 27, 2020
MetaPhysical:

(1) I am not just starting to entertain a different possibility as you put it. I have remained firm and consistent throughout.
Certain things do not need technical/academic inquiry.

(2) When I asked how the slaves on the Atlantic coast were able to link to Yoruba, the responses I received had no technical/academic credits....it was simply stated on the strength of the TRUTH which the spirituality of our ancestors convey and is strongly evident in both places, Yoruba and diaspora. We must use same standard to address Yoruba and AfroAsia.

(3) If however you insist on an academic backing....the research and products of such investigations were pioneered by non-Yorubas, whether in Yorubaland or in diaspora.....and the Eurocentric writers followed "footprints". I am simply calling for the same thing here....footprints!

(1) Good to hear that this has always been your position. I do not intend to sound like you changed recently (in case I sounded to you that way).

In fact, I was clearly willing to admit that you are been honest about this being your position from page 1.

(2) Regarding slaves in the New World, there is extant well established documentation on that. Their numbers, the places they were taken from etc. I personally know someone here in the U.S. whose area of PhD research involves examining those data. There is actually nothing to contest about this.

(3) In that case can you then going forward cite them accordingly (or at least name them) so we can clearly draw a line between what their conclusion actually is and what you've taken them to mean (as well as where your own personal non-liguist speculations begin).

In the light of this, my question which I asked as follows is not addressed:

"In the light of the foregoing, I then humbly ask that can you direct me to any redoubtable linguist or any redoubtable peer-review academic work which also admits this so-called Hebrew-Yoruba linguistic clues??"

Moreover, I also made the following comment that was left untouched:
Oh ... by the way, I actually know of a late Professor of Yoruba language (who had taught in Japan) who have actually submitted on the excessive linguistic similarity between Yoruba language and the Japanese language.

(2) In the light of this, I humbly ask then that what would you think this Yoruba-Japanese linguistic similarity mean for the Yoruba and Japanese "races" ??
And the late professor of Yoruba language I referred to is Professor Afolabi Olabode.

Cheers!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by MetaPhysical: 6:31pm On Apr 27, 2020
TAO11:

Lol, very funny.

"Al" is only a definite article that usually prefix in a common noun. It is simply "The".

It has nothing to do peculiarly to the "Ka'bah".

Okay, "The Cube"! What has changed? Another different word introduced at the beginning. Simple.

Dont worry too much bro, it is obvious this is not your forte, and I mean no insult.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I build a "Ka'ba" for slaughtering pigs, it doesn't change the fact that the word Ka'ba" simply means a square or cubic chamber.

The purpose it serves is not what makes it a "Ka'ba". A "ka'ba" can be made to serve any purpose.

I'm shocked you seem to be contesting this.

I am not sure you know what you are talking about.

Kaaba has always been called that name since its inception. In its original structure, built by Abraham, it was not a cube. Followup modifications and additions to the structure got it to the cube shape.

So did Abraham know at a future time, centuries after his death it will become cubic...and so figured it is best to call it Kaaba, a cube
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by TAO11(f): 6:33pm On Apr 27, 2020
gregyboy:

Why lol why are you so been ecstatic while quoting......

Cos I actually find it funny that your Kings, on ascension, must visit Ife for ****, while you (a mere subject) are here jonzing. grin grin cheesy

And I have a right to express myself if I find stuffs funny, don't I?? cheesy

1 Share

Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by TAO11(f): 6:41pm On Apr 27, 2020
MetaPhysical:

...In its original structure, built by Abraham, it was not a cube.

Can you please kindly direct me to the Hadith literature or a Sirâh literature where you read this?

Moreover, are you really contesting that the Arabic word "Ka'ba" means cube (or square) shaped??

I humbly advice that you shouldn't "drag" this beyond this point. Notice that you've been insisting on this without a shred of evidence --- And that's simply because there is none.

Cheers!
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by MetaPhysical: 6:46pm On Apr 27, 2020
TAO11:

(1) Good to hear that this has always been your position. I do not intend to sound like you changed recently (in case I sounded to tou that way).

In fact, I was clearly willing to admit that you are been honest about this being your position from page 1.

(2) Regarding slaves in the New World, there is extant well established documentation on that. Their numbers, the places they were taken from etc. I personally know someone here in the U.S. whose area of PhD reserch involves examining those data. This is not even contested.

(3) In that case can you then going forward cite them accordingly (or at least name them) so we can clearly draw a line between what their conclusion actually is and what you've taken them to mean (as well as where your own personal non-liguist speculations begin).

In the light of this, my question which I asked as follows is not addressed:

"In the light of the foregoing, I then humbly ask that can you direct me to any redoubtable linguist or any redoubtable peer-review academic work which also admits this so-called Hebrew-Yoruba linguistic clues??"

Moreover, I also made the following comment that was left untouched:

And the late professor of Yoruba language I referred to is Professor Afolabi Olabode.

Cheers!

Again, my focus area has been defined here and redefined multiple times. You just joined this thread and so it is excusable that you are unfamiliar with my position, not just on this thread....there are over 10 such threads with similar length or more in exchanges on the subject. grin

Where the evidence is present of a correlation or a cognates between Yoruba and Afro Asia, I follow it without prejudice or reliance on an academic position. Academic positions present theories and assumptions. I am pursuing the phenomenal....

The phenomenal is how we are able to successfully link and accept that Puerto Ricans, who do not look like us at all in features or skin color are descendants of a part of us. Beside Orisha, is there anything else that you can see in a Puerto Rican and give as true signs of their relationship with Yoruba? Nothing in their physicality or language. Orisha practice is the only signature. Those who studied and recorded it did so by speaking and collecting oral history in both places.

The people in Arabia will never claim or deny a relationship with Yoruba. Never! They are silent on it. Moreover, Arabs have destroyed all traces of ancient Mecca from their land. I am not sure you are aware....they demolished all structures traced to Muhammed. They destoyed structures linked back to some temples. So we agree there will not be anything from that end. Nonetheless, examples like the ones I have stated continue to bewilder.
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by MetaPhysical: 6:50pm On Apr 27, 2020
TAO11:

Can you please kindly direct me to the Hadith literature or a Sirâh literature where you read this?

Moreover, are you really contesting that the Arabjc word "Ka'ba" means cube (or square) shaped??

I humbly advice that you shouldn't "drag" this beyond this point. Notice that you've been insisting on this without a shred of evidence --- And that's simply because there is none.

Cheers!

I think you are becoming ridiculous here. I gave examples and you are struggling to dismiss it but yet asking for Hadith. grin
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by TAO11(f): 6:54pm On Apr 27, 2020
MetaPhysical:

Again, my focus area has been defined here and redefined multiple times. You just joined this thread and so it is excusable that you are unfamiliar with my position, not just on this thread....there are over 10 such threads with similar length or more in exchanges on the subject. grin

Where the evidence is present of a correlation or a cognates between Yoruba and Afro Asia, I follow it without prejudice or reliance on an academic position. Academic positions present theories and assumptions. I am pursuing the phenomenal....

The phenomenal is how we are able to successfully link and accept that Puerto Ricans, who do not look like us at all in features or skin color are descendants of a part of us. Beside Orisha, is there anything else that you can see in a Puerto Rican and give as true signs of their relationship with Yoruba? Nothing in their physicality or language. Orisha practice is the only signature. Those who studied and recorded it did so by speaking and collecting oral history in both places.

The people in Arabia will never claim or deny a relationship with Yoruba. Never! They are silent on it. Moreover, Arabs have destroyed all traces of ancient Mecca from their land. I am not sure you are aware....they demolished all structures traced to Muhammed. They destoyed structures linked back to some temples. So we agree there will not be anything from that end. Nonetheless, examples like the ones I have stated continue to bewilder.

Lol ... You've successfully avoided every single point and every single question I raised.

And it is understandable why you decided to do so. Lol.

I am not interested in a straw-man banter so I would wait until you address the points and questions I raised.

In the meantime, I wish you the best in your endeavour.

Cheers!
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by MetaPhysical: 7:13pm On Apr 27, 2020
TAO11:

Lol ... You've successfully avoided every single point and every single question I raised.

And it is understandable why you decided to do so. Lol.

I am not interested in a straw-man banter so I would wait until you address the points and questions I raised.

In the meantime, I wish the best in your endeavour.

Cheers!

You forget that this is an exchange. My purpose here is not to prove to you but to share what I think of the subject matter. You want to reduce it to a academic competition. Thats not the objective of this thread at all. The thread was opened to share and learn. What I have so far submitted remain what I can share. Anyone can learn from it....or reject it. You are not asked to believe in it. grin
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by TAO11(f): 7:18pm On Apr 27, 2020
MetaPhysical:

I think you are becoming ridiculous here. I gave examples and you are struggling to dismiss it but yet asking for Hadith. grin

Examples of what?? lipsrsealed I'm confused now! undecided Or is it you? Lol!

Okay, let me summarize to find out:

You:
Ka'bah is an Arabic word which means a place of exaltation. (citing nothing).

Me:
Ka'bah is an Arabic word which means: "any square ["or cubic"] house, or chamber, or the like". (citing the most authoritative Arabic-English lexicon --- LL).

You:
#$&#*;#^ ... Well, the word Ka'ba in TAO's comment should have been preceded by the word "the".

And since you TAO didn't do that, then you TAO are wrong and I MetaPhysical am right ... #/@^%%^^#

Me:
"The Ka'ba" or "Ka'ba" --- whichever it is changes absolutely nothing about the fact that the Arabic word "Ka'ba" means a cubic or square structure.

You:
... In its original structure, built by Abraham, it was not a cube.

Me:
Can you direct me to any written source for this, e.g. the Hadith literature or the Sirâh literature??

You:
How dare you TAO ask me to subtantiate such an unsubstantiable wild claim!?

Me:
#InsideLife. Lol

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by MetaPhysical: 7:18pm On Apr 27, 2020
Generally, I am still interested in how Niger Congo is a feature to differentiate Yoruba from Afro Asia but when Atlantic diaspora is added to the conversation Niger Congo is no longer valid.

You all are now touting the same path that I have always stressed - that is, it is possible to establish commonality by identifying elements of worship and sacredness between two disparate people and geographical locations by examining the ideas and meanings they attach to those practices in spirituality and divine worship.

We shall continue the examination as time allows. grin
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by TAO11(f): 7:26pm On Apr 27, 2020
MetaPhysical:

You forget that this is an exchange. My purpose here is not to prove to you but to share what I think of the subject matter. You want to reduce it to a academic competition. Thats not the objective of this thread at all. The thread was opened to share and learn. What I have so far submitted remain what I can share. Anyone can learn from it....or reject it. You are not asked to believe in it. grin

But what should naturally happen when your claims turn out to be spurious as I have shown in the "Ka'ba" example??

What should naturally happen when we see the example of another language such as Japanese that have indeed been confirmed to have many words similar in sound and meaning to ours??

What should naturally happen when it is shown that your contentions such as that of "slave trade" is in fact invalid, considering well established extant documentation of the West and Central African origin of the slaves??
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by MetaPhysical: 7:27pm On Apr 27, 2020
TAO11:

Examples of what?

Let me summarize:
------------------------------

You:
Ka'bah is an Arabic word which means a place of exaltation. (citing nothing).

Me:
Ka'bah is an Arabic word which means: "any square ["or cubic"] house, or chamber, or the like". (citing the most authoritative Arabic-English lexicon --- LL).

You:
#$&#*;#^ ... Well, the word Ka'ba in TAO's comment should have been preceded by the word "the".

And since you TAO didn't do that, then you TAO are wrong and I MetaPhysical am right ... #/@^%%^^#

Me:
"The Ka'ba" or "Ka'ba" --- whichever it is changes absolutely nothing about the fact that the Arabic word "Ka'ba" means a cubic or square structure.

You:
... In its original structure, built by Abraham, it was not a cube.

Me:
Can you direct me to any written source for this, e.g. the Hadith literature or the Sirâh literature??

You:
How dare you TAO ask me to subtantiate such an unsubstantiable wild claim!?

Me:
#InsideLife. Lol

grin grin

Please yourself with following.

The history and form of the Kaaba
The Kaaba was a sanctuary in pre-Islamic times. Muslims believe that Abraham—known as Ibrahim in the Islamic tradition—and his son, Ismail, constructed the Kaaba. Tradition holds that it was originally a simple unroofed rectangular structure. The Quraysh tribe, who ruled Mecca, rebuilt the pre-Islamic Kaaba in c. 608 CE with alternating courses of masonry and wood. A door was raised above ground level to protect the shrine from intruders and flood waters.

The Kaaba has been modified extensively throughout its history.

Today, the Kaaba is a cubical structure, unlike almost any other religious structure.

https://www.khanacademy.org/humanities/ap-art-history/introduction-cultures-religions-apah/islam-apah/a/the-kaaba
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by MetaPhysical: 7:29pm On Apr 27, 2020
TAO11:

But what should naturally happen when your claims turn out to be spurious as I have shown in the "Ka'ba" example??

What should naturally happen when we see the example of another language such as Japanese that have indeed been confirmed to have many words similar in sound and meaning to ours??

What should naturally happen when it is shown that your contentions such as that of "slave trade" is in fact in valid considering well established extant documentation of the West and Central African origin of the slaves??

Rectangular and Cube are not the same please.

You are making wrong accusations. grin
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by TAO11(f): 7:48pm On Apr 27, 2020
MetaPhysical:

grin grin

Please yourself with following.

The history and form of the Kaaba
The Kaaba was a sanctuary in pre-Islamic times. Muslims believe that Abraham—known as Ibrahim in the Islamic tradition—and his son, Ismail, constructed the Kaaba. Tradition holds that it was originally a simple unroofed rectangular structure. The Quraysh tribe, who ruled Mecca, rebuilt the pre-Islamic Kaaba in c. 608 CE with alternating courses of masonry and wood. A door was raised above ground level to protect the shrine from intruders and flood waters.

https://www.khanacademy.org/humanities/ap-art-history/introduction-cultures-religions-apah/islam-apah/a/the-kaaba

Even with your decision to stretch this to the idea of Mathematical exactness (in the hope to find a way out), I am still glad to inform you that Mathematically all squares are rectangles.

Having said that, in case you're somehow thinking that the structure began as a "rectangle" (i.e. with unequal sides) and has somehow changed in modern times to a "square" (i.e. with equal sides):

Please be informed that such thought remains false --- the Ka'ba's sides dimension is 36.2 ft by 42.2 ft (i.e. unequal), yet its name remains "Ka'ba", that is, a square (or cube) structure.,

This points again to the fact that Mathematical technicality and exactness is not what is intended by that name. Thus demolishing you latest cop-out.

In fact, the definition of "Ka'ba" as I quoted it from LL in my very first comment in regards to the word "Ka'ba" reads:

"Any square ["or cubic"] house, or chamber, OR THE LIKE".

So, any way you look at it, your cop-out fails.

In all, I understand that your stretch to Mathematical exactness is only a means to escape your misinformation. But that too failed to work.

Moreover, you're yet to provide any evidence to substantiate your made-up meaning of "a place of exaltation" for the Arabic word Ka'ba.
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by MetaPhysical: 7:52pm On Apr 27, 2020
TAO11:

Even with your decision to stretch this to the idea of Mathematical exactness (in the hope to find a way out), I am still glad to inform you that Mathematically all squares are rectangles.

Having said that, in case you're somehow thinking that the structure began as a "rectangle" (i.e. with unequal sides) and has somehow changed in modern times to a "square" (i.e. with equal sides):

Please be informed that such thought remains false --- the Ka'ba's sides dimension is 36.2 ft by 42.2 ft (i.e. unequal), yet it's name remains "Ka'ba", that is, a square (or cube) structure.,

This points again to the fact that Mathematical technicality and exactness is not what is intended by that name. Thus demolishing you latest cop-out.

In all, I understand that your stretch of Mathematical exactness is only a means to escape your misinformation. But that too failed to work.

Moreover, you're yet to provide any evidence to substantiate your made-up meaning kf "a place of exaltation" for the Arabic word Ka'ba.

grin grin grin
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by TAO11(f): 7:53pm On Apr 27, 2020
MetaPhysical:

Rectangular and Cube are not the same please.

You are making wrong accusations. grin

I never said rectangular and cube are the same tho. grin And you quoted the wrong comment.

And I will say it again loud and clear, fair and square that:

All squares are rectangles grin

You may want to freely represent what I had said. You should have nothing to worry about.
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by TAO11(f): 8:05pm On Apr 27, 2020
gregyboy:
[s]Instead of argument with bigoted mind who will rather not share any ideas without being bigoted i will rather go in silent and do proper research to validate the ife-benin connections whatever i find i will create a thread to educate everyoneIn other to beat this myth of ife-benin relationships a proper reduction has to be done[/s].

What are these people always looking for whenever they become king??

Yet, it never happens the other way round.

1 Share

Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by TAO11(f): 8:41pm On Apr 27, 2020
Just as in this case of "Ka'bah" which you've interestingly and unfortunately misconnected to "Akaba", etc. cry I can actually demonstrate the same thing for other words you listed such as:

Al-Hajj and 'Umra(h). The connection you see here too are at best non-existent, and at worst unfortunate. cry.

And I say this with all sense of respect.

cc: MetaPhysical
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by Obalufon: 9:00pm On Apr 27, 2020
Macof the Niger Congo advocate , Semitic or semolina .Yoruba history is beyond your comprehension.,.
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by macof(m): 10:02pm On Apr 27, 2020
You didn't address so many points and just make excuses and jump to more claims

OK, now you have said you never claimed the Yoruba are semitic but rather the semitic people derived their culture, traditions and language from the Yoruba who used to live in the middle East long before the supposed time of Abraham
That should put the Yoruba presence in that region to earlier than 2000BC
Never forget this, because I know you suck at chronology

How come the studies on semitic culture and language hasn't been found to descend from or be influenced by the Yoruba?
The semitic people have had a writting culture for over 4000 years, meaning they possessed the ability to retain history better than civilizations without writing culture
One major reason silly people are quick to conclude that Africa had no history

Now let's say ok, Yoruba who civilized the semitic people, left them and went down to West Africa
Somehow they lost the writing culture of the middle East?
I would have said they also lost their language but you claim Yoruba is still an Afro-asiatic language.. So oK

You used the example of afro descendants in the americas and asked how do we know they are really afro descendants?
Well first thing is that there are records of it from 3 continents
1. Africa where they came from
2. Europe who was involved in their transportation
3. America where they arrived

And no evidence exists to debunk these records
But evidence exists to support them

Now my further questions are
What records from Yorùbáland exist and what records from the middle exist.. That state Yoruba were in the middle East? Under what names were the Yoruba called in the middle East? because we know the Yoruba never had a single name to refer to all speakers of the Yoruba language so surely the Yoruba were not a unified group when they were in the middle East right?

MetaPhysical:

Which semitic people are you talking about? Who has ever said Yoruba were semitic people? I think you are mixing things up.

I have always said here that Yoruba is not Arab and Yoruba is not Jewish, Yoruba remain an authentic race. Even if Yoruba is found to be origination in Afro-Asia it was the parent or progenitor to those we call Arabs and Israelites today because both came from Abraham, a descendant to Noah. While Jews and Arabs are ABRAHAMIC, it is believed Yorubas are NOAHDIC.

So in order of ancestry I could never place Yoruba under a Semite or protoSemite. However, the language is proto-Semitic.

Semitism came out of Akkadian and Canaan - both were Nohadic in spirituality. The people who settled and assimilated the Semitic language is what is called Semitic race today but they are not the original speakers of semitic tongue.

Don't mix this up again.

I could easily just end this by asking you what your source for this "it is believed Yoruba are noahdic" and "Yoruba Language is proto-semitic".. But let's go on and analyse the whole post, I will ask you later

isn't Abraham a descendant of Noah according to Hebrew narratives?
I am unsure of what Arabs say
(@RamessesIV. Can you educate me on this as you would know more about this)

So logically Abrahamics are Noahdics too.

And earlier you said Arabs descended from Ad now you say they descended from Abraham
Why the inconsistencies? You don't get to shift argument like that grin what da heck

And don't tell me I'm mixing anything up, you lack consistency and all 4 of you (absoluteSuccess, olu317 and obalufon included) support each other but when you get called out and you have no come back, you switch to a new argument and leave your brothers in the cold.

How was that supported.... did they mention names, tribes, towns, family compound....or was this support just on the strength that we both share same rituals and worship?
wait what exactly are you doing? Are you seriously implying the black people of the americas are not African?
Because you need to be clear on that

But to address the question.. yes several enslaved Africans who were born in Africa and regained freedom mentioned their original names and described their homeland and family in Africa. And in some cases descendants of an enslaved African born retained information about their homeland like in the case of Kunta Kinte's descendants

For an enslaved people forced to lose their identity that is impressive....

Oludah Equiano, Cudjo Lewis, Ayuba Suleiman Diallo and Abdul-Rahman ibn Sori are only few examples
If you are interested in the topic of enslaved Africans go and get their biographies and autobiographies because I don't get why you even think this is comparable to your claim of yoruba originating from the middle East

Masjid is what Arabs call Temple. It is derived from Sigid, meaning to prostrate. This is taken from its original, Sigidi, a Yoruba word. Yoruba keep Sigidi in shrine and in acts of worship we prostrate to the deity represented by it. "More sensible people" will see a relationship in this and it supports a cognate between the two places.

To stretch this further, when Islam came to Mecca, Masjid was adopted as the name to call Muslim Mosques. Yoruba muslims don't call it Masjid, instead we borrowed from Hausa to call it Moshalashi. It makes sense....there was no sigidi in it. So the linkage of Yoruba with Mecca is supported at both ends, with Yoruba turning out as the original.

Shake your Islamic attachment loose so you can see. Traces of Orisha worship remain till date in Mecca as it does in Brazil or Cuba or Puerto Rico.

[s]Look, you don't have any similar anything with yoruba language and Afro-asiatic languages prior to the relatively recent establishment of trade and borrowing of Arabic words. And these borrowed words are very recognisable
There's even a list on nairaland [/s]

I can't deal with this level of ignorance and intellectual blindness to facts undecided

Except Sigidi doesn't mean to "prostrate". It refers to a clay effigy, the very core nature of the word "sigidi" is the characteristic of the object not that people prostrate to it or sing to it or pour oil on it. The name has nothing to do with the actions people do with it

Furthermore, you would have to explain the evolution of the word Shigidi to Sujud and apply same method to many other words to get your desired Cognates

Im not new to you here. I do not concern myself with genetical links. I only threw that in since you brought it up. My own focus is on religious, spirituality, culture and words of expression and their corresponding phenomenon. Nothing more...

Obadio will not be the custodian of Yoruba oral history. His role is that of a priest. That role of historical recount is usually with bards and arokin. The oral history is there nonetheless.

You don't concern yourself with genetics but you bragged about possessing sources that state Yoruba and bedoiuns share same haplogroup

Another change of argument

And the role of a priest is what? If not to hold knowledge of what he is a priest of
He is the priest of oduduwa yet you say his role is not to posses information about Oduduwa's origin?
Where do arokin get their information from if not from the priests and families themselves?
If an arokin comes and sings something he heard from someone else about my family in a bid to surprise me, so I can't tell the arokin that his informant is wrong?
Arokin are mere praise singers

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by macof(m): 10:21pm On Apr 27, 2020
MetaPhysical:

grin grin grin

What is your evidence that Kaaba means place of exaltation
Every dictionary gives the definition of Cube, Square

Don't run

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by RamessesIV(m): 10:25pm On Apr 27, 2020
OK OK let me review the supposed relations,first of the Kaaba means literally "cube",and oga that's not how etymology works Kaaba and kaabiyesi are not the same thing,different languages,they don't even sound the same,they are not even the same languages,these are just discrepencies twisted to fit a narrative,I can come up with lots of japanese words that are similar to my Edo language but that doesn't show a relation between the two cultures ����,funny enough they are yoruba words that were borrowed from Hausa and islam,again is not even Hebrew heritage it's arabic,mecca was In arabia,even the kaaba you mentioned was a shrine of worship fot various arab people in arabia and syria,and again islam there is no evidence of any middle eastern influence in Yoruba land aside islam or maybe berber traders,cause yorubas used arab looking sword.
MetaPhysical:

Dial back to pre-Islamic age, and you will see evidence of Yoruba footprint in everything the Meccans did.

We have listed many of the mirror expressions and practices for you guys but you continue to stress Islam...Islam...Islam...Islam.... Release your attachment from Islam so you can see without bias.

Kaaba - The Holy mosque in Mecca. In Arabic Kaab means a place of exaltation. Kaabiyesi in Yoruba means exaltation.
This is a position of relativity between a High and a Low. Akaba is the name we gave to the tool use as a bridge between High and Low.

Alhajj - a visitor in Arab. Alejo, a visitor in Yoruba.

Umrah - the preparation for a sacred holy rite. Imura, a state of preparation in Yoruba.

I can list over 100 of these cognates. Go through this thread and review my postings you will see many of them.

Islam borrowed from pre-Islamic Mecca....the age back when people of Mecca worshipped Orisha and prostrated before sigidi. The ancient Meccans learnt it from Yoruba. At one point in past times there was a co-location between the two.

Was that co-location in Old Ife, or was it in Mecca itself? This is my quest.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by RamessesIV(m): 10:34pm On Apr 27, 2020
Am new to nairaland and this thread just shows me why we need to fund archealogy and most especially etymology,lol I can literally look fot any culture i like looking for similar spellings and say they are the same,��� this is what people call fact,go to any history class with this in a credible university and you will look like a dunch,is not even Hebrew but Arab,the Arab ancestry was gotten from Yoruba muslims recorded by samuel johson,is not even the most common,people just lash on to it,cause is better to tie their tribe to a land of their religion,lol funny enough even Igbo's claim Hebrew ancestry funny thing is the same thing look for similar words and claim they have the same meaning and boom!!!! We have middle eastern ancestry
TAO11:

I totally understand your narrative. I also know that the narrative of some supposed Hebrew (or Arab) origin for the Yorubas is pseudo-history.

I am only asking that even if we pretend that all the so-called linguistic similarities (between Yoruba and Hebrew) are indeed valid; does this neccessitate the whole Yoruba from Hebrew thing. It's actually nauseating.

See, I know that many Yoruba words appears to align in both sound and meaning with Japanese words, but yet we don't see any of our people insisting on some Japanese roots for the Yorubas. Lol

And the reason is simple. Shintoism (as a Japanese religion) has zero influence among the Yorubas. It's as simple as that.

It is very obvious that what we see here is nothing but cognitive dissonance.

How people are simply trying to make sense of two opposing (and almost contradictory) inluential realities in their lives which has shaped their worldview and left a strong lasting impression.
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by RamessesIV(m): 10:38pm On Apr 27, 2020
Bro is not today,Igbo's do it two,look for similarities to lash,forget scrunity or proper empiricism,bunch of discrepencies they are calling facts,I don't get the obsession with sub-saharan africa countries with northafrica/middle east if they are not claiming culture from their,they are claiming they were the original ones there I thought instagram was worst till I came to nairaland
macof:

What is your evidence that Kaaba means place of exaltation
Every dictionary gives the definition of Cube, Square

Don't run
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by macof(m): 10:52pm On Apr 27, 2020
RamessesIV:
Bro is not today,Igbo's do it two,look for similarities to lash,forget scrunity or proper empiricism,bunch of discrepencies they are calling facts,I don't get the obsession with sub-saharan africa countries with northafrica/middle east if they are not claiming culture from their,they are claiming they were the original ones there I thought instagram was worst till I came to nairaland
. grin Youtube is the worst of all
I have run many out of nairaland

I actually would enjoy the fantastic stories if they were not trying to replace their fantasy with history. It is so sickening to see that they actually mean it to the bone
They have been psychologically sired to the middle east

@tao11 how did you even realise there was something off with this sort of claims?

(1) (2) (3) ... (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) ... (97) (Reply)

Post your photos of Igbo village houses here / How To Say "I Love You" In The Various Nigerian Languages / Teach Me Naija Slang Please

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 138
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.