Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,346 members, 7,812,000 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:51 AM

Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment (26974 Views)

Hospitals Demand Child's Tribe Before Treatment / Man Die In Rivers Because Hospital Insist They Get Paid Before Treatment / Stories Of Why Hospitals Insist On Payment First Before Treatment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by Nobody: 7:47am On Jul 18, 2018
anselm791:

cannula cost about a hundred naira, and normal saline about one hundred and fifty, you will be amazed at how far these can go for stabilization. doctors took an oath, its about time they start taking it pretty seriously.
And because they took an oath, they should buy cannulas and normal saline for all patients? These same doctors that are being owed salaries?? The same doctors that also have families and responsibilities at home And mind you, cannula and normal saline are sometimes the least that are needed for a patients resuscitation. What about one that needs Oxygen? I guess the doctor should also provide the Oxygen too. Why don't you put yourself in their shoes for once and see if u could have done more? Moreover, why is it only the doctor u mentioned? Why not the other members of the team??

One other thing I have noticed here is that whenever there's anything related to patient's health or a problem, everyone starts blaming the doctors.
At that time, no one remembers that the doctor is just a member of the medical team o.
But when it is that doctors are claiming to be the head of the medical team, everyone starts attacking them.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by tohshine(m): 7:48am On Jul 18, 2018
THEN handcuff him to bed until he pay
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by autonomous22: 7:49am On Jul 18, 2018
Ayoswit:
I understand their reasons for demanding payment or deposit before treating a patient but if I was the one, I would treat the patient regardless of the fact that money wasn't paid because I can't watch a patient die when I can be able to treat him, it's hard though but saving a life is worth it.

I agree with you.
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by MrBigiman: 7:50am On Jul 18, 2018
magicminister:

It’s unfortunate you’re still a victim of mental slavery. The fact that you or your family would not act the same way implies that not every black person behaves like that. Nothing is wrong with the black race and just like every race, we have our fair share of idiots!!!

I know what I am talking about. I have related with foreigners and Nigerians, and several Nigerians especially are grossly selfish and insensitive. The few good one are actually the outliers.

2 incidents yesterday alone to validate my point.

I sat with a lady in the bus. I had a lot of luggage and she didn't have much with her. When someone wanted to sit we noted a #100 note had fallen possibly from my pocket, and immediately the guy mentioned it, the lady picked the money immediately without reasoning if it was hers.

I was supposed to pay 400# for transport yesterday. I and another passenger paid 500# each. Then I brought out 100# and asked the driver to give me 200#. The other passenger quickly started dragging the 100# from my hand even when the driver haven't seen the 200# to give me. When I refused to give him he started making irrational comments.

I went for IELTs exams, and the invigilators were courteous, and very helpful. I went for another local exams for a job recruitment, and there were 2 incomplete questions. When I drew the attention of an invigilator to it his statement was, " you have 20 questions, 2 questions will not make u fail, if u weren't going to fail in the first place". The chief examiner said " pls if u cannot manage leave ".

The black man has an insensitive mindset. Nnamdi Kanu started teaching his people these things. He wanted his people to know, because the beginning of true change is acceptance of a problem.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by Thegamingorca(m): 7:50am On Jul 18, 2018
Shortyy:
That shít only happens in Nigeria. In other countries, patients are treated first! People's lives matter not here! Even if you're dying here, they'll ask to go and purchase card, wait in line for the doctor SMH

Whom may be attending to other emergencies. Shut your trap and stop being self centred

1 Like

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:51am On Jul 18, 2018
QualityHealthCa:

So when the hospital exhausts all its materials on "hit & run" patients, what logistics will it use to treat you the day you're in need of aid? When the workers don't get their salaries despite working their asses off, thus can't afford to feed nor clothe their children as a result, because of trying to save another life, what advice will you have for them then?

This is d mentality that'll make Nigerians continue to lose its doctors...just continue...soon enough you'll have no doctor to blackmail anymore except Dr Sid and Small Doctor.
Lol@Doctor SID and Small Doctor.
You have some good points there bro.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by jaxxy(m): 7:51am On Jul 18, 2018
dominique:
Hospitals are run with money not goodwill. They have bills staff salaries to pay, supplies are bought with money too. Most of us don't have health insurance yet we expect hospitals to treat us first before collecting money. We're seriously not serious in this country.

I don't completely agree even tho i understand them. In emergency or life/death situations u have to atleast stabilize the patient b4 wasting more time talking about deposit cos dat little time cud be the difference than after they pay u now say there was not time to save the patient. The payment process can go simultaneously, at least give them an hour or 2 while treatment is ongoing.

If u treat gun shot wounds and serious suspicious knife attacks the police shud be called to get details. In dat way u can also ensure u get ur money.
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by phr0nesis(m): 7:52am On Jul 18, 2018
HSfoundation:

And you didn't pay for him Good Samaritan
The money paid isn't something I should be bragging about online. You had to make me do it
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by blackgold2018(m): 7:53am On Jul 18, 2018
magicminister:

It’s unfortunate you’re still a victim of mental slavery. The fact that you or your family would not act the same way implies that not every black person behaves like that. Nothing is wrong with the black race and just like every race, we have our fair share of idiots!!!
Nicely said. I really hate to see people with that inferiority mindset. I always do tell them if you dispise ur country.. fuckin travel or move out.
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by QualityHealthCa: 7:53am On Jul 18, 2018
Shortyy:
That shít only happens in Nigeria. In other countries, patients are treated first! People's lives matter not here! Even if you're dying here, they'll ask to go and purchase card, wait in line for the doctor SMH

I just wanted to see the shit face of the person that spewed this bollocks, and to be honest I'm so disappointed that a cute girl like you could spit such horseshit.

1 Like

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by anselm791(m): 7:56am On Jul 18, 2018
Vickygarl:

And because they took an oath, they should buy cannulas and normal saline for all patients? These same doctors that are being owed salaries?? The same doctors that also have families and responsibilities at home And mind you, cannula and normal saline are sometimes the least that are needed for a patients resuscitation. What about one that needs Oxygen? I guess the doctor should also provide the Oxygen too. Why don't you put yourself in their shoes for once and see if u could have done more? Moreover, why is it only the doctor u mentioned? Why not the other members of the team??

One other thing I have noticed here is that whenever there's anything related to patient's health or a problem, everyone starts blaming the doctors.
At that time, no one remembers that the doctor is just a member of the medical team o.
But when it is that doctors are claiming to be the head of the medical team, everyone starts attacking them.

I have a good feeling you're a doctor, then I must assumed you've seen a man died, permit me to also assume to fact that no money is worth loosing a life for, and that maybe if you don't see this fact, you shouldn't be a doctor in the first place. now I understand that doctors have Lives too, but note that providing a cannula, normal saline and maybe oxygen won't take that life away.
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by QualityHealthCa: 7:56am On Jul 18, 2018
post=69481552:

Lol@Doctor SID and Small Doctor.
You have some good points there bro.

See this link.

https://www.nairaland.com/4079432/man-dies-due-unavailability-oxygen

What do you think will be responsible for this?

Yet all Nigerians know how to do is complain and lament without lifting a finger to try to make things right. Na only to wait for manna from the sky...pls let's "keep it up" abeg...
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by Nobody: 7:59am On Jul 18, 2018
jaxxy:

I don't completely agree even tho i understand them. In emergency or life/death situations u have to atleast stabilize the patient b4 wasting more time talking about deposit cos dat little time cud be the difference than after they pay u now say there was not time to save the patient. The payment process can go simultaneously, at least give them an hour or 2 while treatment is ongoing.

If u treat gun shot wounds and serious suspicious knife attacks the police shud be called to get details.
What about when the hospital has exhausted the supplies meant for such cases?
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:59am On Jul 18, 2018
QualityHealthCa:

See this link.

https://www.nairaland.com/4079432/man-dies-due-unavailability-oxygen

What do you think will be responsible for this?

Yet all Nigerians know how to do is complain and lament without lifting a finger to try to make things right. Na only to wait for manna from the sky...pls let's "keep it up" abeg...
Thanks for the link.
Something must be done about the healthcare situation of our country.
Respect to the Doctors.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by IMASTEX: 7:59am On Jul 18, 2018
thesicilian:

You should have asked them why they withheld the 50%.
I wasn't there, but these are the likely reasons:
1. If they actually bought the blood, then there's a time limit after which they can't return it . In such a scenario, they either discard the unused blood, or give it to someone else at a much discounted rate hence the 50% refund.
2. The money they kept back (the other 50%) was for the necessary tests they needed to do, like blood grouping, crossmatching, etc.

I was even the one that asked, if it wasn't used what happens? Because i was kind of certain it might not be used. I was told right there that only 50% is refundable with no explanations whatsoever.
1. I'm not sure of it been bought. It was the blood bank of the government hospital that the whole deal took place. They even have free donation centre just at the front which was even running as at the time.
2. Will that translate to paying #16k for two pan of blood. You can only get back #8k. And you're also told to wait until someone else pay for blood from which you can get the said refund.
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by QualityHealthCa: 8:01am On Jul 18, 2018
anselm791:

I have a good feeling you're a doctor, then I must assumed you've seen a man died, permit me to also assume to fact that no money is worth loosing a life for, and that maybe if you don't see this fact, you shouldn't be a doctor in the first place. now I understand that doctors have Lives too, but note that providing a cannula, normal saline and maybe oxygen won't take that life away.

Pls goan take the Doctor's place in that case. Since you seem to know better what it takes to become one.

What am I even doing in this thread sef, back to my PLAB preparation jarey.

2 Likes

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by MrBigiman: 8:01am On Jul 18, 2018
blackgold2018:
Nicely said. I really hate to see people with that inferiority mindset. I always do tell them if you dispise ur country.. fuckin travel or move out.

The black man has a character problem. The earlier we accept it the better for us. Change comes only after acceptance.

Go to a polling station here and the one abroad.

Go for and international exam and see the kindness of the examiners. They even send feedback forms.

Ask why billions cannot complete roads in Nigeria, while the same amount makes foreign countries near heaven.

Ask why big men splash water on so called little men, and don't have the character to say sorry.

The black man is crude. I know my ills and I've tried repeatedly to improve, because I've accepted it.

People who don't accept it fight in public places, snatch ballot buses, lie uncontrollably, lead arrogant lives and still claim nothing is wrong.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by eyinjuege: 8:02am On Jul 18, 2018
IMASTEX:

What of the hospital that will ask you to deposit for blood for in case of emergency need. And when the blood isn't eventually used on the patient at the time of discharge only 50% of the initial deposit was refunded? And no better reason was given why you cant get full refund, well as the blood was donated for free. Still they charge high at the hospital. This happened even in a government hospital recently in my State.

Every blood donated has to be screened for different diseases otherwise blood transfusion becomes a death trap itself.
The screening itself costs money. Whether they use the blood or not is immaterial, as they still have to screen it.
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by DrP2000(m): 8:03am On Jul 18, 2018
flyca:

I know the hospital he is referring to and it's a private one. Imagine if they had 10 if those kind of cases in a year? undecided

I visited Military Hospital Ikoyi sometime in 2005. The reception has a big picture of the illustration of the good samaritan. Below the picture had a story about the good man, travelling from X to Y and blablabla. But the funny thing is that story ended with the following statement.

"Be like the good samaritan, deposit money before you leave"

Message delivered cheesy

Lol
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by QualityHealthCa: 8:06am On Jul 18, 2018
Scout60:
this is very common in Nigeria. After offering payment after service in Nigeria is sometimes risky in Nigeria. The zeal is no longer there.

My girl who happened to be a nurse narrated also a similar case of this. A guy who was stabbed on the penis was brought to their hospital. He was on admission for over 1 month. When the guy was discharged,

Guess what,
he sneaked out of the hospital at night through the roof. upon they locked him inside a room for an attempted escape. He sneak out through the roof.

The nurses were tasked to pay.

And the same Nigerian Patient will come on Nairaland to say:

"That shít only happens in Nigeria. In other countries, patients are treated first! People's lives matter not here! Even if you're dying here, they'll ask to go and purchase card, wait in line for the doctor SMH"

Greatest Nigerian Patients! Great!!! cheesy
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by anselm791(m): 8:07am On Jul 18, 2018
QualityHealthCa:

Pls goan take the Doctor's place in that case. Since you seem to know better what it takes to become one.

What am I even doing in this thread sef, back to my PLAB preparation jarey.
yeah I know what PLAB is, its running away from the country and people that trained you.
this poo hole of a country we reject today, may one day be the corner stone. I Die Here. Get your PVC folks.
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by boyjo: 8:07am On Jul 18, 2018
Ayoswit:
I understand their reasons for demanding payment or deposit before treating a patient but if I was the one, I would treat the patient regardless of the fact that money wasn't paid because I can't watch a patient die when I can be able to treat him, it's hard though but saving a life is worth it.

That is why you aren`t the one.

1 Like

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by QualityHealthCa: 8:07am On Jul 18, 2018
thesicilian:

They'll use your blood to stabilize the victim abi?

Simple and Epic!!! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by magicminister: 8:08am On Jul 18, 2018
MrBigiman:

I know what I am talking about. I have related with foreigners and Nigerians, and several Nigerians especially are grossly selfish and insensitive. The few good one are actually the outliers.

2 incidents yesterday alone to validate my point.

I sat with a lady in the bus. I had a lot of luggage and she didn't have much with her. When someone wanted to sit we noted a #100 note had fallen possibly from my pocket, and immediately the guy mentioned it, the lady picked the money immediately without reasoning if it was hers.

I was supposed to pay 400# for transport yesterday. I and another passenger paid 500# each. Then I brought out 100# and asked the driver to give me 200#. The other passenger quickly started dragging the 100# from my hand even when the driver haven't seen the 200# to give me. When I refused to give him he started making irrational comments.

I went for IELTs exams, and the invigilators were courteous, and very helpful. I went for another local exams for a job recruitment, and there were 2 incomplete questions. When I drew the attention of an invigilator to it his statement was, " you have 20 questions, 2 questions will not make u fail, if u weren't going to fail in the first place". The chief examiner said " pls if u cannot manage leave ".

The black man has an insensitive mindset. Nnamdi Kanu started teaching his people these things. He wanted his people to know, because the beginning of true change is acceptance of a problem.

WW I and WW II were caused by white men and had over 200 million casualties
The nuclear bombardment of Hiroshima and nagasaki had over 100,000 casualties and was caused by the white men
The church crusade which had over a million people burnt or brutally murdered was caused by the white folks
The enslavement, murder and rape of our ancestor was caused by white folks

all i am trying to say is that compared to other races, black people are actually more compassionate and kind.
The fact that most African countries has been caused with bad leaders does not mean the people are not great!!

My brother, free yourself from mental slavery and realize that skin colour does not determine the character of anybody.
You are already biased towards blacks but if you remove your bias, you will see that other races do even worse things than blacks!!

1 Like

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by Nobody: 8:08am On Jul 18, 2018
anselm791:

Contrary to what u think, I've had to provide funds for a lot of patients at different times, even the last kobo on me sometimes. But that doesn't rule out the fact that I can't help everyone. U won't understand this if u are not in it. A lot of times, I've had to go stand in to get these things for patients and at the end had to pay with my own money. In a private hospital, it is easier to make use of these things on debit but in government hospitals where there are different departments in charge of various things, it is difficult. If one has to go stand in everywhere for every patient, the person will end up penniless and frustrated at last.
It is true that there are some bad doctors but trust me, most doctors are commited to the course and they are working despite the fact that we are in a country where things are upside down. I am one of them.
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by QualityHealthCa: 8:08am On Jul 18, 2018
anselm791:

yeah I know what PLAB is, its running away from the country and people that trained you.
this poo hole of a country we reject today, may one day be the corner stone. I Die Here. Get your PVC folks.

RIP bro...
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by Thegamingorca(m): 8:08am On Jul 18, 2018
jaxxy:

If u treat gun shot wounds and serious suspicious knife attacks the police shud be called to get details. In dat way u can also ensure u get ur money.

Stabilise wetin. ..is it free?
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by Thegamingorca(m): 8:09am On Jul 18, 2018
anselm791:

Rip
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by Thegamingorca(m): 8:11am On Jul 18, 2018
anselm791:

Neither of the things you mentioned are free.

Would you prefer a doctor give you a free alternative
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by QualityHealthCa: 8:12am On Jul 18, 2018
Pavore9:

Many Nigerians feel it is a waste of money having health insurance and still feel hospitals have an obligation to treat before talking of money when there is no assurance of getting paid after treatment.

Wait till they start shouting on you: "you took an oath! You took an oath!"

Ask them what the oath says and their answer is: "I dunno, but you sha took an oath!"

Bloody Oafs!

2 Likes

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by blackgold2018(m): 8:13am On Jul 18, 2018
MrBigiman:

The black man has a character problem. The earlier we accept it the better for us. Change comes only after acceptance.

Go to a polling station here and the one abroad.

Go for and international exam and see the kindness of the examiners. They even send feedback forms.

Ask why billions cannot complete roads in Nigeria, while the same amount makes foreign countries near heaven.

Ask why big men splash water on so called little men, and don't have the character to say sorry.

The black man is crude. I know my ills and I've tried repeatedly to improve, because I've accepted it.

People who don't accept it fight in public places, snatch ballot buses, lie uncontrollably, lead arrogant lives and still claim nothing is wrong.
I remember asking a colleague at work why Nigeria is as it's state n the economy. I was expecting a long list explanation but he simply answered "value for human life". Fews words with a thousand meanings.
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by anselm791(m): 8:13am On Jul 18, 2018
QualityHealthCa:

RIP bro...
we will rise again brother, maybe not in 3 days, but we will rise.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

80-Year-Old Man Commits Suicide In Lagos / Ladies, See How To Escape Cancer In Your bosom!! / Dr Osahon Enabulele For Inauguration As President Of World Medical Association

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.