Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,998 members, 7,817,948 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:41 PM

Fluid Specs Q & A Thread - Car Talk (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Fluid Specs Q & A Thread (35682 Views)

Lagos State Government Has Taken Delivery Of New BRT Buses With Awesome Specs / Let's Talk About Brake Fluid! / 4 Misconceptions About Your Car Brakes, Pads And Fluid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fluid Specs Q & A Thread by radautoworks: 1:56pm On Apr 20, 2019
adeeva06:
Are we good to go?

Container delayed. Arriving 24th 27th tentatively now
Re: Fluid Specs Q & A Thread by amywonda: 9:55pm On Apr 23, 2019
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/pentosin-atf1-automatic-transmission-fluid-1-liter-1058107/10007823-P?navigationPath=L1*14924%7CL2*15037%7CL3*16132 Can I get this at your shop? Vin is WBANU910X0CT26817. I need appropriate transmission fluid and power steering oil
Re: Fluid Specs Q & A Thread by radautoworks: 1:16am On Apr 24, 2019
amywonda:
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/pentosin-atf1-automatic-transmission-fluid-1-liter-1058107/10007823-P?navigationPath=L1*14924%7CL2*15037%7CL3*16132 Can I get this at your shop? Vin is WBANU910X0CT26817. I need appropriate transmission fluid and power steering oil

We do carry Pentosin. VIN not pulling. Year, make and model please?
Re: Fluid Specs Q & A Thread by amywonda: 6:30am On Apr 24, 2019
It’s a 2007 530i Bmw, I am presently in Asaba , can I get delivered here?
radautoworks:

Re: Fluid Specs Q & A Thread by amywonda: 6:31am On Apr 24, 2019
It’s a 2007 530i Bmw, I am presently in Asaba , can I get delivered here?
radautoworks:

wink
Re: Fluid Specs Q & A Thread by amywonda: 8:19pm On Apr 24, 2019
amywonda:
It’s a 2007 530i Bmw, I am presently in Asaba , can I get delivered here? wink
Re: Fluid Specs Q & A Thread by radautoworks: 11:19pm On Apr 24, 2019
[quote author=amywonda post=77826163][/quote]

http://weblink.carquest.com/acl/?mfgName=PTN&partNumber=1405116-KIT-2 power steering fluid kit not in stock

http://weblink.carquest.com/acl/?mfgName=PTN&partNumber=1058206 you would need 2 of these. Also not in stock

Or 10 of these http://weblink.carquest.com/acl/?mfgName=PTN&partNumber=1058107

Delivery not a problem but would take a while to bring in
Re: Fluid Specs Q & A Thread by dicksonadams(m): 10:40pm On Apr 28, 2019
Sup madam radautoworks, I will like to do a comprehensive service at your shop, just got a tokunbo Honda Civic 2008. Few weeks ago. What should I do and how much should I pay as a first timer. I reside at Gbagada
Re: Fluid Specs Q & A Thread by radautoworks: 2:53am On Apr 29, 2019
dicksonadams:
Sup madam radautoworks, I will like to do a comprehensive service at your shop, just got a tokunbo Honda Civic 2008. Few weeks ago. What should I do and how much should I pay as a first timer. I reside at Gbagada
Welcome smiley
Diagnosis is free with repair or N2,500-5,000 without repair.
Re: Fluid Specs Q & A Thread by dicksonadams(m): 6:04am On Apr 29, 2019
radautoworks:

Welcome smiley
Diagnosis is free with repair or N2,500-5,000 without repair.

OK how do i make an appointment?
Re: Fluid Specs Q & A Thread by radautoworks: 2:09pm On Apr 29, 2019
dicksonadams:

OK how do i make an appointment?

https://www.mrtransmissionmilexnigeria.com/appointments or call the shop
Re: Fluid Specs Q & A Thread by radautoworks: 1:43pm On May 02, 2019
adeeva06:
Are we good to go?

Which oil were you waiting for? Some arrived Sunday and is being cleared. Hopefully by this weekend it will reach the shop. Meanwhile lots of filters arrived by air to go with the oil.

Re: Fluid Specs Q & A Thread by radautoworks: 2:48pm On May 10, 2019
I would like to apologize to nairalanders for my sporadic responses on Cartalk. My medical leave is taking longer than anticipated. Thank you for understanding.
Re: Fluid Specs Q & A Thread by radautoworks: 11:54pm On May 10, 2019
For those who know, Liqui-Moly both regular and extended life and R134a in stock from Monday .

Also, [s]OEM transmission and CVT fluids for Nissan, Toyota, Jaguar, Mercedes, etc.[/s]

UPDATE: wrong container. This one has Carquest oils lipsrsealed

Will update for previous fluids arrival date. Apologies for wrong information.

Re: Fluid Specs Q & A Thread by radautoworks: 4:53am On May 12, 2019
He who has ears, let him hear..

Do I Have To Use the Manufacturer's Oil?
What You Need To Know About Factory-Branded Oils

Ten or 15 years ago, choosing the oil for your car was simple. All you needed to know was the viscosity — 5W-30, for example — and you could get a few bottles at the local auto parts store. But this simplicity is starting to go away.

General Motors' transition to a new oil specification for all its 2011 and newer vehicles is bringing new attention to the issue of manufacturer oil specifications. GM isn't the first to require such a specification, but its move signals a change in the car-maintenance landscape.

A manufacturer's oil specification is a unique blend that an automaker creates and mandates for use in its vehicles. GM's new oil product, Dexos, consolidates its five prior recommended oil specifications into two blends: Dexos1 for gasoline-powered vehicles and Dexos2 for diesels.

GM and other automakers warn that failure to use their factory-specified oils could void a car's warranty. These new oil specifications can also create confusion and cost issues for consumers who change the oil themselves or take their cars to local mechanics who may not be aware of the changes

Oil Has Changed
The oil inside a modern engine might look just like it did a decade ago, but it actually is far more advanced. The American Petroleum Institute (API) and the International Lubricants Standardization and Approval Committee (ILSAC) have set the standards for oil for the past 60 years and have changed the specifications roughly every five years. Oil needs to change to meet increasing emissions regulations, offer better protection against sludge and improve fuel economy.

"There has been a significant increase in lubricant quality in the past 20 years," says Robert Sutherland, principal scientist for Pennzoil passenger-car engine lubricants. "But there has also been a significant increase in the stress that the engines put on the lubricant."

Sutherland says it's a game of leapfrog. As the hardware moves forward, the oil specifications must also change to handle the additional heat and properly lubricate the engine. He adds that the tolerances in a modern engine are closer and tighter, which means that the oil's ability to keep critical engine parts clean is more important than it used to be.

Automakers' Own Recipes
The API and ILSAC standards are the baseline, says Timothy Miranda, senior engineer for race oil and field testing for Castrol Lubricants, which manufactures oil for automakers such as Audi, BMW and Volkswagen. Automakers are free to improve upon the standards as long as they meet the minimum requirements.

"They may choose to have their own specifications because of a unique aspect of their engine design," Miranda says. For example, if a car is turbocharged, it might require synthetic oil rather than conventional oil.

This manufacturer standard is more common among the German automakers, thanks to more stringent European oil specifications, Miranda says. Rather than have numerous blends for different regions, each automaker created one specification for its vehicles. They have brought those standards to the U.S., as Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Volkswagen all have their own oil formulations.

According to Miranda, most American and Japanese automakers have tended to stick with the API guidelines. This means that they recommend any oil with the API "starburst" or "donut" symbol on its label.

GM distanced itself from the API guidelines with the introduction of Dexos. According to GM, the Dexos oil specification will decrease harmful piston deposits by up to 28 percent and improve fuel efficiency by up to 0.3 percent compared to the older ILSAC GF-4 specifications.

GM licenses the Dexos certification to motor oil manufacturers that can then choose to offer a full-synthetic variation, as long as it meets the requirements. Since Dexos-certified oil is compatible with older cars, the specification will also affect owners of pre-2011 GM vehicles who get their cars serviced at dealerships. Though Dexos isn't being mandated retroactively, chances are dealers will fill their bulk tanks with it to consolidate their oil inventory.

What This Means for the Consumer
More expensive maintenance: "The OEMs are looking for protection and the customer wants longevity," Miranda says. This protection comes at a cost. As manufacturer oil specifications become more common, the auto industry moves farther away from conventional oil and toward synthetic blends or fully synthetic oil. While these newer oils offer better protection and longer intervals between oil changes, they also have a higher price tag.

This price bump can be offset by the automakers who offer free maintenance programs. But when the coverage runs out, a customer who is not used to paying for a synthetic oil change could experience some sticker shock when faced with a $90 oil change.

Potential warranty problems: The language in some owner's manuals suggests that using an oil other than the one specified by the manufacturer will void the car's warranty. This is not the case, says Thom Smith, Valvoline's vice president of branded lubricant technology.

According to the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act, the onus would be on GM or another automaker to prove that a non-manufacturer oil damaged the engine. If dealers deny the warranty claim without first investigating it, they are in violation of the act, Smith says.

Consumers just need to make sure that any alternate oil they use is comparable in quality to the automaker's specified oil. Many oil manufacturers, including Valvoline, are so confident of their product that they offer their own warranty against engine damage that their products might be alleged to have caused.

If talk of voided warranties and engine damage makes you nervous, just use the manufacturer's specified oil for the duration of the warranty. Keep in mind that a vehicle's engine falls under the drivetrain warranty (also known as the powertrain warranty). In most cases, this is longer than the traditional bumper-to-bumper warranty.

Your local mechanic or quick-lube facility may not be aware of your car's specific oil requirements. You can still go to these places, but be sure to ask ahead of time what kind of oil they will use. Or bring your own oil to avoid any confusion.

Required manual reading: Not all cars require a manufacturer-specified oil. They do have a recommended viscosity, such as 0W-20, however. Check the owner's manual for any mention of a required brand or specification. If the manual doesn't name one, you can save money by buying oil at an auto parts store. Make sure it's the correct viscosity.

There are money-saving opportunities to be had even if your vehicle does call for a manufacturer-specified oil. For example, GM has a Web site that lists the approved Dexos oil manufacturers. Most of their products are available online or at auto parts stores and may cost less than at the dealership.

In some situations, the manufacturer-specified oil may not be in stores or it might cost more than you want to spend. Your vehicle's owner's manual will usually list the specifications for an equivalent oil that meets the automaker's standard. Does that mean it's just as good as a manufacturer-specified oil such as Dexos? There's controversy on this point.

Flack from the oil wars: Tom Read, a spokesperson for GM's powertrain technology group, warns that using an alternative oil might diminish performance.

"If a customer uses a non-licensed engine oil that is simply ILSAC GF-5 quality, they will not enjoy the benefits of using a Dexos-licensed product," Read says. Those benefits could include better low-temperature performance, cleaner pistons and better aeration performance, he says. "This could be especially important as the engine oil ages."

Read's case for Dexos sounds compelling, but Valvoline's Smith isn't buying it.

"Our SynPower 5W-20, 5W-30 and DuraBlend 5W-30 went through all the Dexos testing and passed all the requirements," Smith says. "But we felt that carrying the Dexos name was not providing the consumer with any value."

Rather than raise the price of its oil to offset the cost of licensing the Dexos name, Valvoline chose to forgo the license and keep the prices lower, he says.

Smith says that GM's engine-performance warnings are part of its goal to drive consumers to dealerships for their maintenance. "We feel that they are taking choice away from the consumer," he says.

Focus on the Oil Basics
Setting aside the claims and counter-claims of manufacturer-specified oil superiority, here's all you have to remember: As long as you follow the oil specifications shown in your owner's manual, you have nothing to worry about.

To read the original article go to http://www.edmunds.com/car-maintenance/do-i-have-to-use-the-manufacturers-oil.html
Re: Fluid Specs Q & A Thread by Bigsteveg(m): 12:35am On May 29, 2019
radautoworks:
Don't know the fluid specs for your car? Give the. VIN number and receive full specs for your car like below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EibrCvLdWGM

(Modify) (Quote) (Report) (Share)
Re: Fluid Specs Q & A Thread by radautoworks: 12:42am On May 29, 2019
Bigsteveg:

Hello radautoworks, please my Toyota Camry 07 is telling me maint reqd, I serviced it in March with Mobil 1 5W-20 extended performance high mileage formula and since then I have travelled less than 4000 miles. I notice that when I want start the engine, it signals the main reqd but disappears after sometime.

The engine oil is supposed to go for nothing less than 15000 miles. Kindly assist with this, thanks.

(Modify) (Quote) (Report) (Share)

This is what I keep trying to tell people about these extended performance oils. Few questions.

1) Did you use an extended performance filter?
2) how many miles on your car?
3) did you used EXTENDED mileage or HIGH mileage because high mileage is simple for cars with high miles not for longer oil changes.
Re: Fluid Specs Q & A Thread by dru23(m): 6:13am On May 29, 2019
radautoworks:

This is what I keep trying to tell people about these extended performance oils. Few questions.

3) did you used EXTENDED mileage or HIGH mileage because high mileage is simple for cars with high miles not for longer oil changes.

I spoke to the young man about it .. .. He didn't use extended performance oil filter ... (2). Any car that is over 75k miles is consider high miles. Most of the tokunbo cars that enter the Nigerian Market at least 75% high miles . (3).. The maintenence require light needs to be also look at too.. My 04 civic has the light on ,even after an oil change. It stays on all the time, even after a reset .. (4) .. Maybe some cars might be sensitive or some cars might not have that maintenence require sensor.. I only thought it was Hondas that feature. Never in my driving years have I had maintenance require pop up .. It could be some cars have that feature..
Re: Fluid Specs Q & A Thread by dru23(m): 6:50am On May 29, 2019
radautoworks:

Re: Fluid Specs Q & A Thread by mandae(m): 4:22am On Jun 01, 2019
[quote author=radautoworks post=76541180]

Sorry, I couldn't pull this VIN because it is not North American. I might still be able to help. Year, make, model and engine size please?[
Year is 2003, Mitsubishi space star, engine size should be 1.6 litres
Re: Fluid Specs Q & A Thread by radautoworks: 8:18pm On Jun 01, 2019
[quote author=mandae post=78910084][/quote]

?
Re: Fluid Specs Q & A Thread by radautoworks: 9:13pm On Jun 03, 2019
Everything you need for your AC in one place

Z134 N4,250

R134a N4,150

R134a with UV dye leak detector
5 applications dye, yellow can N7,662
Single application gas, purple can N14,969

PAG 46, 100, or 150 oil approx N3,950

Re: Fluid Specs Q & A Thread by whatofyou: 1:36pm On Jul 06, 2019
Madam, pls can I get your price Bosch D3330 Distanceplus oil filter? Thanks.
Re: Fluid Specs Q & A Thread by radautoworks: 1:12pm On Jul 07, 2019
whatofyou:
Madam, pls can I get your price Bosch D3330 Distanceplus oil filter? Thanks.

N8,288 though it's not in stock. There are many interchanges for it that are as good and cost less FYI.
Re: Fluid Specs Q & A Thread by whatofyou: 1:35pm On Jul 07, 2019
radautoworks:

N8,288 though it's not in stock. There are many interchanges for it that are as good and cost less FYI.

So when is it going to be in stock? And about these interchanges, what are they, and what are their prices? Thanks!
Re: Fluid Specs Q & A Thread by radautoworks: 7:08pm On Jul 07, 2019
whatofyou:

So when is it going to be in stock? And about these interchanges, what are they, and what are their prices? Thanks!

We don't stock Bosch filters unless it's ordered by a customer. To many cost effective options. What year and model?
Re: Fluid Specs Q & A Thread by radautoworks: 7:10pm On Jul 07, 2019
No more oil change confusion. We put this in your car with each oil change. It tells you when your next change is due and what to put in your car.

Re: Fluid Specs Q & A Thread by whatofyou: 8:05pm On Jul 07, 2019
radautoworks:

We don't stock Bosch filters unless it's ordered by a customer. To many cost effective options. What year and model?

How do I order and how long will it take before it gets to me?
Re: Fluid Specs Q & A Thread by radautoworks: 4:53am On Jul 09, 2019
whatofyou:

How do I order and how long will it take before it gets to me?

You can call, email or visit the shop and about 10-14 days.
Re: Fluid Specs Q & A Thread by 9icetoo(m): 2:51pm On Jul 18, 2019
I need the following and will be coming into Lagos shortly to pick them up.
1. Oil filter for extended oil change (2 pieces)
2. Lucas transmission fix or lubeguard doctor tranny. (one can of any)
3. 5w-20 synthetic oil (5 liters)
4. Valve clearance check and fix if out of spec (08 mdx)
5. Machining of warped front rotors.
Re: Fluid Specs Q & A Thread by radautoworks: 10:25pm On Jul 18, 2019
9icetoo:
I need the following and will be coming into Lagos shortly to pick them up.
1. Oil filter for extended oil change (2 pieces)
2. Lucas transmission fix or lubeguard doctor tranny. (one can of any)
3. 5w-20 synthetic oil (5 liters)
4. Valve clearance check and fix if out of spec (08 mdx)
5. Machining of warped front rotors.

Do me a favor and email support with this please. Glen and I out of the country. support@radautoworks.com

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (16) (Reply)

What I Saw Written On A Tricycle! / Moment A Parked All-electric Tesla Model S Car Exploded In A Garage / Leaving Bottled Water Inside your Car Can Start A Fire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.