Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,077 members, 7,828,793 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:19 PM

Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? (12590 Views)

Photos Of Funny Looks In Today Reflection Of Apc Decides / Enugu Onitsha Expressway: A Reflection Of A People’s Nightmare / Aba: A City In Ruins (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by Ericology(m): 2:02pm On Sep 30, 2010
Obiagu1:

If Aba and the East is a problem to you all, then gently let them secede from Nigeria without you folks fighting tooth and nail to keep them in Nigeria.

Till someone tells me why Nigeria has refused to left Igbos go, everything else said here doesn't make sense.

And i toast to this with my red cap and a cow horn filled with fresh palm wine, eziokwu ka i kwuru
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by MaziUche0(m): 2:04pm On Sep 30, 2010
Obiagu1:

If Aba and the East is a problem to you all, then gently let them secede from Nigeria without you folks fighting tooth and nail to keep them in Nigeria.

Till someone tells me why Nigeria has refused to left Igbos go, everything else said here doesn't make sense.

Gbam! Gbam! Gbam!
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by Nobody: 2:04pm On Sep 30, 2010
MaziUche0:

What do you think?

The East was a very peaceful place prior to the war. This war changed that. And people wonder why Igbos hate Nigeria with a passion. And now the Niger Delta is starting to wake up.

Eastern Nigeria would be a much better place if people would focus on their own dammn region.

Igbos hate Nigeria with so much passion yet they can't wait for their turn to rule it . . . outcome of an Igbo presidency is anybody's guess  cool
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by Echidime(m): 2:09pm On Sep 30, 2010
@The Poster:

Otu nne gi cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool you deserved to be kidnapped sharp sharp
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by Reference(m): 2:10pm On Sep 30, 2010
Yes Guyman, Its one of those very sad things. I wish someday someone somewhere will wake up and realise what we lost. As we grow up and understand why we are like this. Why things are so bad. I hope several threads can be opened and we can learn why the east was destroyed. I can understand conflict, it has happened in every society but the vengeful destruction (till date) of al and area represents is hard to comprehend. I was watching the bombing of Hamburg on Discovery a few days ago the very Germany that today is an industrial power house. Japan was destroyed too, Iraq lately, yet everyone of them was rebuilt by the very powers that wiped them out. And when I say rebuilt it was not only the infrastructure but the institutions, the industries, the culture and the pride. German scientists then pioneered several technological advances at home, in the States and the then Soviet union. Where are the Biafran scientists, where are the war advances, why were the wartime industries not rebuilt. Because of narrow minded, vengeful post war policies perpetuated till date by evil men hell bent on selfish misrule. Guys we've had our chance to develop our country and blown it.  It will take hell and high water for another chance and we will beg God on our knees for that.  You can imagine that as we mark 50 years of independence we cannot produce the fuel we use. 40 years ago oil was being refined in Biafra without Shell, TFE or NNPC. Where is that technology. 40 years ago.
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by DatNiggaAk(m): 2:14pm On Sep 30, 2010
Echidime:

@The Poster:

Otu nne gi cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool you deserved to be kidnapped sharp sharp

@Echidime,
obo iya ee, duri maman ka grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
na pakistani suicide bombers go blow you up for Mumbai wey you dey, dey sell drugs tongue tongue tongue
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by Syenite(m): 2:15pm On Sep 30, 2010
@ poster you need your empty head examined.FOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLL!!!!!
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by DatNiggaAk(m): 2:21pm On Sep 30, 2010
Syenite:

@ poster you need your empty head examined.FOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLL!!!!!

@syenite, you need your fool head emptied and quarantined for herpes, grin
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by BigPhil(m): 2:21pm On Sep 30, 2010
denitro:

YES, YES, YES, YES
I am an Igbo man and most times thank God for not allowing us win the war, He knows better.
Biafra would have been no different from Sudan etc.
Sorry my Igbo brother, but the truth is bitter unless we change our attitude.

@Denitro,You must be suffering from poverty of logic and eclipse of reason.How dare you malign,the whole Ibos,like that.

@DatiggaAk,Please don't raise threads that are beyond your intellectual capacity.What  a myopic and narrow minded article.Aba is not the only
city in the eastern region.To try and corelate what is indeed and unfortunate and irresponsible behaviour of some individuals to what might have been is seriously stupid.It is  highly speculative and not empirically founded.What the hell are you trying to insinuate.
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by MaziUche0(m): 2:21pm On Sep 30, 2010
Reference:

Yes Guyman, Its one of those very sad things. I wish someday someone somewhere will wake up and realise what we lost. As we grow up and understand why we are like this. Why things are so bad. I hope several threads can be opened and we can learn why the east was destroyed. I can understand conflict, it has happened in every society but the vengeful destruction (till date) of al and area represents is hard to comprehend. I was watching the bombing of Hamburg on Discovery a few days ago the very Germany that today is an industrial power house. Japan was destroyed too, Iraq lately, yet everyone of them was rebuilt by the very powers that wiped them out. And when I say rebuilt it was not only the infrastructure but the institutions, the industries, the culture and the pride. German scientists then pioneered several technological advances at home, in the States and the then Soviet union. Where are the Biafran scientists, where are the war advances, why were the wartime industries not rebuilt. Because of narrow minded, vengeful post war policies perpetuated till date by evil men hell bent on selfish misrule. Guys we've had our chance to develop our country and blown it.  It will take hell and high water for another chance and we will beg God on our knees for that.  You can imagine that as we mark 50 years of independence we cannot produce the fuel we use. 40 years ago oil was being refined in Biafra without Shell, TFE or NNPC. Where is that technology. 40 years ago.

When there is desperation, you are able to see the greatness in people. Now all of the Biafran scientist have left this country a long time ago. Our greatest minds went to the U.S. and the UK to improve these countries. And many of the East brightest mind are continuing to leave. Nigeria is no place for the Ndi Igbo. I'll rather improve another country than Nigeria. As long as my people are seen as an vanquished people.
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by Obiagu1(m): 2:24pm On Sep 30, 2010
Reference:

True, we lost a lot, that's why they will come here to laugh at us because we are now like them which is what they want.
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by MaziUche0(m): 2:27pm On Sep 30, 2010
Obiagu1:

True, we lost a lot, that's why they will come here to laugh at us because we are now like them which is what they want.

That is the sad truth. But we can change that. First we need to kill the Igbo leaders who are the crooks. And that means most of them.

Igboland needs to be bathed in blood.

Instead of kidnapping innocent children, we need to be kidnapping these politicians.
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by Obiagu1(m): 2:31pm On Sep 30, 2010
All those saying Igbo did this, Igbo did that, kidnapping this, drug that, would you carry placard and match with me if I call for Igbos to be carved out of Nigeria to preserve Nigerian image?

I think anyone that loves his country would support my proposal right away.

Carve Igbos out of Nigeria you love! Who is with me?
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by Obiagu1(m): 2:33pm On Sep 30, 2010
MaziUche0:

That is the sad truth. But we can change that. First we need to kill the Igbo leaders who are the crooks. And that means most of them.

Igboland needs to be bathed in blood.

Instead of kidnapping innocent children, we need to be kidnapping these politicians.

The umbrella called Nigeria is what is still keeping them alive. Believe me, there's not much you could do within Nigeria.
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by kettykings: 2:34pm On Sep 30, 2010
What baffles me most about nigerians is that even the parts of nigeria that was not ravaged by the civil war has not made much progress, look at the ibadan of today , I badan happens to be the dirtiest capital in nigeria , is it abeokuta or illorin which is nothing but glorified LGA hq.
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by patrick89(m): 2:43pm On Sep 30, 2010
I want to write to indigbo 'no eba ka anyi mara ihe n'oge,nsogbu mu nwere na nigeria bu ihe ndia
1.check everywhere, 'i nwee nsogbu with ndia i wee buru onyeigbo ha agaghi ekwu eziokwu even ha agaghi ekwu okwu.2,kanyi kwusi ina acorrect ha dika i gwa ha na obodo emepeghi emepe
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by yarodin: 2:48pm On Sep 30, 2010
kettykings:

What baffles me most about nigerians is that even the parts of nigeria that was not ravaged by the civil war has not made much progress, look at the ibadan of today , I badan happens to be the dirtiest capital in nigeria , is it abeokuta or illorin which is nothing but glorified LGA hq.

Thank you very very much for this imput.
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by kettykings: 2:50pm On Sep 30, 2010
Inasmuch as what is happening in Aba is not good , but the duplicity of.    yorubas is quite shocking, just last 2 weeks people were suggesting to the north to leave the nigerian union and form their country because of the boko haram saga and zoning but the same people don't talk about them selves leaving because of the tokyo crises in ibadan , OPC extortion in lagos or even when we had june 12 crises.

And they will not even want to hear or think about ibos leaving the country.
I don't understand how people who claim they are hosting another tribe
In their cities and everyday complain about their tribe but will prefer to die fighting than allow the tribe to leave.
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by DatNiggaAk(m): 2:53pm On Sep 30, 2010
BigPhil:

@Denitro,You must be suffering from poverty of logic and eclipse of reason.How dare you malign,the whole Ibos,like that.

@DatiggaAk,Please don't raise threads that are beyond your intellectual capacity.What  a myopic and narrow minded article.Aba is not the only
city in the eastern region.To try and corelate what is indeed and unfortunate and irresponsible behaviour of some individuals to what might have been is seriously silly.It is  highly speculative and not empirically founded.What the hell are you trying to insinuate.

[b]@BigPhil,

do you have to be insultive? is that how your mother raised you?
i have a lot of respect for the Ibo man but at the same time you can't deny the fact that they are also responsible
for some of the most heinous crimes witnessed in this country apart from the boko haram people and like minds up north.
in Abuja where i reside, the Ibos own the city. the economic power in the city resides amongst them while the political and
government power is with the hausas.
all the best hotels, clubs, lounges, super stores, plazas even estates are owned by the ibos. most of the shops in the city are
owned and run by them. at the same time, 85% of the prostitues are ibos, 4 in 5 armed robbers arrested are ibos. why is that so?
questions you should ask yourself before you start throwing insults around like an uncultured louth.
Aba has witnessed the highest frequency of of kidnappings, murders and robberies in the south east.
but is Enugu free of that. what of Awka. is Onistha safe? even owerri which is deemed the safest city in the south east is not free
from the occasional kidnap and robberies.
all i asked if you took time to read the first post is that, is it Nigeria responsible for the problems the south east is facing or is it the
people themselves causing their own problems? answer that question before you start being insultive,
[/b]
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by Obiagu1(m): 3:21pm On Sep 30, 2010
DatNiggaAk:

@BigPhil,

i have a lot of respect for the Ibo man but at the same time you can't deny the fact that they are also responsible
for some of the most heinous crimes witnessed in this country apart from the boko haram people and like minds up north.
in Abuja where i reside, the Ibos own the city. the economic power in the city resides amongst them while the political and
all the best hotels, clubs, lounges, super stores, plazas even estates are owned by the ibos. most of the shops in the city are
owned and run by them. at the same time, 85% of the prostitues are ibos, 4 in 5 armed robbers arrested are ibos. why is that so?
questions you should ask yourself before you start throwing insults around like an uncultured louth.
Aba has witnessed the highest frequency of of kidnappings, murders and robberies in the south east.
but is Enugu free of that. what of Awka. is Onistha safe? even owerri which is deemed the safest city in the south east is not free
all i asked if you took time to read the first post is that, is it Nigeria responsible for the problems the south east is facing or is it the people themselves causing their own problems? answer that question before you start being insultive,

To answer your question, Nigeria is responsible for the problems the South East is facing today. Economic sabotage and deliberate deprivation of federal institutions in the region is a major cause of the problem. Yes, we, individaully, worked hard to possess those properties we have in Abuja that you mentioned, but not everyone is privileged. Igbos are naturally ambitious and whatever means to make it is a fair game.

The problem with Nigeria is because we don't depend on taxes, the country doesn't border to harness the potentials of the Igbos to generally improve the country as a whole both in revenue generation and in development. Forget what you see in Abuja, Igbos are very deprived people, a lot of graduates are hopeless today because of Nigeria and her lootings.

Igbos have traditional ways to curb crimes, but when we call for regional government to enable us do things our way, same Nigeria said no. All these atrocities are foreign to Igbos, it is there because of Nigeria. The question you should ask yourself is how did millions of people maintained absolute peace and just society without a king, police or army?
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by publisher(m): 3:24pm On Sep 30, 2010
@DatNiggaAk
My brother,YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT! Aba is a reflection of what a sovereign Igbo nation would have looked like. Had Biafra succeeded,the oil producing minorities would have started their own guerrilla warfare in order to control their oil wells. And even amongst the Igbos,there would have been horrible divisions and marginalization. The Anambra /Onitsha axis who dont value education much would have dominated Biafran politics while the Imo / Owerri axis that value western education would have been permanent opposition.
My folks lived in Biafra during the the war ,and they vowed that should there be another war in Nigeria,instead of returning to the East,they would rather seek assylum or refugee status in benin republic or Togo. I was told that most of the ibos killed during the war were not killed by Nigerian soldiers but by hunger ,dieases,family feuds and wait for it, biafran soldiers! Most of these victims were ibos who made their forfunes outside the East and were forced to abandon their wealth as the war progressed. They were constantly been mocked by their 'true Biafran' relations (who had, before the war, benefitted from remittances from these erstwhile wealthy kins based in other parts of Nigeria).
Life in Biafra would have been short,nasty and brutish. Unfortunately,today in many parts of South Eastern Nigera life is already short,nasty,brutish, and 'Kidnapish' !!!
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by publisher(m): 3:29pm On Sep 30, 2010
[b]@DatNiggaAk
My brother,YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT! Aba is a reflection of what a sovereign Igbo nation would have looked like. Had Biafra succeeded,the oil producing minorities would have started their own guerrilla warfare in order to control their oil wells. And even amongst the Igbos,there would have been horrible divisions and marginalization. The Anambra /Onitsha axis who dont value education much would have dominated Biafran politics while the Imo / Owerri axis that value western education would have been permanent opposition.
My folks lived in Biafra during the the war ,and they vowed that should there be another war in Nigeria,instead of returning to the East,they would rather seek assylum or refugee status in benin republic or Togo. I was told that most of the ibos killed during the war were not killed by Nigerian soldiers but by hunger ,dieases,family feuds and wait for it, biafran soldiers! Most of these victims were ibos who made their forfunes outside the East and were forced to abandon their wealth as the war progressed. They were constantly been mocked by their 'true Biafran' relations (who had, before the war, benefitted from remittances from these erstwhile wealthy kins based in other parts of Nigeria).
Life in Biafra would have been short,nasty and brutish. Unfortunately,today in many parts of South Eastern Nigera life is already short,nasty,brutish, and 'Kidnapish' !!!
[/b]
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by patrick89(m): 3:34pm On Sep 30, 2010
You said 85% of ashawo in nigeria are ibos.my igbo plpe lee ka esi ebu ihe ojo nile ebute anyi nawa for this pple i'm begning vent my venom.
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by patrick89(m): 3:39pm On Sep 30, 2010
Look let me sound this as a warning.i can vouch for our girls are the least dat sleep around.i stand to be corrected.
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by Chuks84(m): 3:52pm On Sep 30, 2010
DatNiggaAk:

[b]@BigPhil,

all i asked if you took time to read the first post is that, is it Nigeria responsible for the problems the south east is facing or is it the
people themselves causing their own problems? answer that question before you start being insultive,
[/b]

Are you retarded? You say we should not be insultive and you go on to insult the ibos with every letter you type. Jugdging by what you have written, its obvious your brain is the size of a peanut, only a child reasons the way you do. So is it a crime for Igbos to prosper economically? and for your information i live in Abuja and all you wrote are just lies? You are a bloody fool to say 4 in 5 armed robbers are Igbo, you must be an armed robber yourself. Where did you get your statistics? You claim you have nothing against the Igbos, but please look at what you are writing! Crime exists everywhere, I grew up in Lagos and i can tell u that i have witnessed worse things happening there and i dont go blaming the yorubas. I stayed in Ibadan where day light robbery was a way of life!85% of prostitutes are Igbo Its your own family that breeds prostitutes! fool. Next time you think to make a post get your facts right and dont say anything that comes to your head. Please use your God given brain and stop asking stupid questions. Haba!
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by patrick89(m): 3:54pm On Sep 30, 2010
You can imagine the interest level of this pple whenever anything igbo igbo is mentioned.have you ever discuss omonile,agbero bokoharam.BIKO HAPPU NU NDIA.my dadd's frnd told me dat pple hate on any successful man
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by Dede1(m): 3:55pm On Sep 30, 2010
@Obiagu1

Bros, these conniving individuals could dance all they want but the fact remains federal government of Nigeria is responsible for what is happening in Igbo land in general and Aba in particular. For about 50 years now, there is no iota of federal government presence in southeast region.
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by HighChief4(m): 4:13pm On Sep 30, 2010
It makes me laugh how Yoruba's think they are even fully involved in what is happening in Nigeria, Northerners anulled June 12 and put your son(Obasanjo) who is even an enemy to yorubas. Look at how Diya was humiliated and you are here thinkin your case is different from the Ndigbo. Oh its different cos Igbos are fighting for their right while you guys sit there and play fool to the Northerners.
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by Obiagu1(m): 4:26pm On Sep 30, 2010
Dede1:

@Obiagu1

Bros, these conniving individuals could dance all they want but the fact remains federal government of Nigeria is responsible for what is happening in Igbo land in general and Aba in particular. For about 50 years now, there is no iota of federal government presence in southeast region.

Exactly!
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by jaygetta(m): 4:46pm On Sep 30, 2010
The sad situation in Aba is not only a disgrace to the entire Igbo race, but also to the Nigerian populace as a whole.
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by beneli(m): 4:50pm On Sep 30, 2010
Is Aba a reflection of what Biafra would have been?

The truth is, we will never know. Biafra was a child of circumstances, which could have retrogressed into yet another failed African state; overwhelmed by its megalomaniac leaders rulers who are cloaked in their obscene and larger-than- life-appetites for corruption and incompetence; perhaps it too would have been weighed down by the 'tribally' motivated internecine bitching and politicking, and other such factors that are only too common in most 'developing' African states of today.

Or Biafra could have been different.

Perhaps the spirit that birthed it would have enabled it to not only survive as a nation but also excel. Perhaps in that nation, the rule of law would have been allowed to prevail. And things like quota system, ‘federal character’ etc that only breed mediocrity, would have not only been eschewed, but would have been alien concepts, replaced instead by the celebration of hard work, entrepreneurship, creativity and scholarship.

Perhaps its citizens would have known the meaning of security and had an unwavering sense of belonging somewhere. And perhaps all the citizens would have been in agreement that their heroes dead or living had the best interest of their people at heart and were not ‘tribalists’ or betrayers, or cowards; and perhaps those citizens would have a sense of shared narrative of its destiny and history, which would have allowed them to cultivate that sense of nationhood and pride, which 'civilises' one and enthuses with a mental attitude and heartfelt desire to aspire to be a better person. So that the nation can be a better nation.

Biafra, the idea of a nation that one can call one’s own and be proud of, is a receding dream that has been replaced by a horrific nightmare that Nigeria is becoming. And Aba, a place which l call home, my roots within Nigeria, is in ruins because of a failed leadership. And it breaks my heart.

Let them who take joy in my misfortune, gloat.
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by ezeagu(m): 4:56pm On Sep 30, 2010
Okay, my thoughts:

With a country fought and won with by the blood of loved ones, friends and colleagues, Igbo and other same peoples (Ibibio, etc) would feel 1000% more ownership and responsibility plus belonging to the state which has been called Biafra. With this there is no way in the Igbo/Ibibio underworld that the situations that led to these kidnappers would happen which has led to a school bus disappearing. The first big thing is that all the damaging conflicts about identity would be little to gone, and the country would have had the same stability as Ghana now.

Why kidnapping wouldn't happen in Biafra as in Aba:
1. Aba is a city, Biafra was a country with more than 50,000 square kilometres of territory
2. The country would be more economically stable, and with the culture of the people, many people would afford to be armed with legal guns
3. The police would have been well fed
4. Graduated would be at work, kids would be at school

Get it? smiley

beneli:

Biafra, the idea of a nation that one can call one’s own and be proud of, is a receding dream that has been replaced by a horrific nightmare that Nigeria is becoming. And Aba, a place which l call home, my roots within Nigeria, is in ruins because of a failed leadership. And it breaks my heart.

Let them who take joy in my misfortune, gloat.

I would say the dream of Biafra is getting stronger again, as was predicted. . . .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Stella Oduah Absent At FEC Meeting Today / Awka Should Be Ashamed Of Itself - Why Is It Underdeveloped? / Ugwuanyi Inaugurates Upgraded Poly, Udi General Hospitals Amid Excitement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.