Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,178 members, 7,829,225 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:59 PM

Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? (12592 Views)

Photos Of Funny Looks In Today Reflection Of Apc Decides / Enugu Onitsha Expressway: A Reflection Of A People’s Nightmare / Aba: A City In Ruins (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by denitro(m): 9:45am On Sep 30, 2010
YES, YES, YES, YES
I am an Igbo man and most times thank God for not allowing us win the war, He knows better.
Biafra would have been no different from Sudan etc.
Sorry my Igbo brother, but the truth is bitter unless we change our attitude.
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by phantom(m): 9:48am On Sep 30, 2010
yes my posts are tribal and were preempted by you, and for your info,lagos and safety cant be in the same sentence.even with all the kidnapping in PH in those days i still felt safer there so quit these ramblings.
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by yarodin: 9:52am On Sep 30, 2010
babapupa:

Again, feel free to cry and yell about Yoruba people as much as you want, no Yoruba state is or was ever under siege and Yoruba folks don't go  around killing and kidnapping their own for money, we don't kidnap our own school kids, this is not part of our make up and we don't have such entrenched level of greed and lack of respect for human life.

Instead of wasting your breath and losing sleep about Yoruba people, why not start worrying about your own people and start looking for solutions to help your own people.

Crime rate in Lagos was way way high before Fashola took over, but he showed leadership by creating a security fund where the average lagosian and business donate money to support the police with hundreds of patrol vehicle, armored cars, BMW power bikes, weapons and amo and armored trucks.

I'm sure you heard about the 2 new bell  helicopters the state bought to fight crime, guess what, the money came from the same fund.

With a population of almost 18 million, Laagos state is one of the safest mega cities in the world.

What are your leaders doing and what have they done to fight crime and look out for your people? It's all about leadership and accountability.

Yes, Fashola is doing a very good job in Lagos, but is Lagos State a representative of all the Yoruba States?  I for one I am not losing sleep over the Yorubas, but when people like you start to talk rubbish you have to be educated.  What is happening in Aba can easily happen in any part of Nigeria including Lagos, to think otherwise is very foolish.  I am done talking to you because you are no different from your Igbo counterparts
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by daylae(m): 9:58am On Sep 30, 2010
@poster, I so much believe that. The government would have been autocratic,with no defined political setting. Maybe ojukwu would have declared himself a life ruler.
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by denitro(m): 9:59am On Sep 30, 2010
grin
Hitting the nail on the head
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by phantom(m): 10:12am On Sep 30, 2010
grin grin grin grin grin, so as naija dey now,im better pass sudan abi??honestly,tell me the difference?
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by phantom(m): 10:24am On Sep 30, 2010
@denitro, so you do not see the enterprising nature of the igbo man in biafra but kidnapping starts in aba and all of a sudden,thats all you see in biafra grin, so you are telling me that you do not see the aba problem as a fallout of being in the entity called Nigeria??even after the war,the east is still more developed infrastructurally than the west(minus lagos),and yet you do not see rapid development in east as a reflection of what biafra would have been. na wa o!!!
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by daylae(m): 10:42am On Sep 30, 2010
There was never a time in history where the east is more developed in infrastructure or otherwise, over the west. Abeg no bring that assertion come hia!
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by yarodin: 10:47am On Sep 30, 2010
daylae:

There was never a time in history where the east is more developed in infrastructure or otherwise, over the west. Abeg no bring that assertion come hia!

But honestly apart from Lagos (which happened to be the Federal Capital) what other western states are we talking about?
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by daylae(m): 11:06am On Sep 30, 2010
^Even before lagos had any taste of infrastructural development, ibadan was the capital of the whole western region,and various phaset of developmental projects were embarked upon in the city. The city almost had the first in everything -bridges,first university,radio and tv station,the best general hospital,and so on. Infact, the city was the bed-rock,that everyone from other part of the country had to go there to be on the lime-light. Almost every successful nigerians we are having now had one time or the other lived in ibadan,either for their education,or other oppurtunities the city offered. It's unfortunate the city is not what it should be today.
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by phantom(m): 11:24am On Sep 30, 2010
^^you should have just gone straight to your last sentence, lol, but on a serious note,what you have above is an indictment, y'all have been pampered and toddled all your life.what do you have to show for it
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by fxmaxony(m): 11:29am On Sep 30, 2010
Boko haram Crisis in the north ? Is it what a Nigerian would have been if Biafra seceded?

OPC crisis in The west!  is it what a typical Nigerian would have been if biafra had seceded?

Likewise other wantom unacceptable occurrences in Naija.

The problem is that those who should fight crime of any type from federal to state level are doing nothing and pacing the blame to Aba,igbo land in general.

Every Crime of any nature is bad and is the sole responsibility of government to check.
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by daylae(m): 11:53am On Sep 30, 2010
@phantom I understand your predicaments,and i sympathize with you and your comrades;but you shoundn't come out, all-sentimental about honest comments being made here,just to correct someon's wrong insistent. Maybe if you guys stop the animosity towards your own kinds,this thread would av been intented for the total opposite of what you're seeing now. Just bear with it!

I just also need to put to you that,even though i did mention ibadan is not going at the pace it should be,it can still afford to slumber a century,while the east will never meet-up due to the level of lawlessness,and total extintion of human value we are having there. Nothing good can take place where there's no peace!
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by asha2: 12:17pm On Sep 30, 2010
daylae:

@phantom I understand your predicaments,and i sympathize with you and your comrades;but you shoundn't come out, all-sentimental about honest comments being made here,just to correct someon's wrong insistent. Maybe if you guys stop the animosity towards your own kinds,this thread would av been intented for the total opposite of what you're seeing now. Just bear with it!

I just also need to put to you that,even though i did mention ibadan is not going at the pace it should be,it can still afford to slumber a century,while the east will never meet-up due to the level of lawlessness,and total extintion of human value we are having there. Nothing good can take place where there's no peace!

Tokyo must be having a laugh here.

my friend when it comes to civility and lawlessness ibadan is no match for enugu now.
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by daylae(m): 12:32pm On Sep 30, 2010
Your statement is totally out of proportion. I really think u'll like to re-phrase yourself. Pls do.
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by anonimi: 12:37pm On Sep 30, 2010
Chase the Hooligans-in-Power (HiPs) out and vote in better candidates.

Remember to RSVP -

Register;
Select and sponsor(your candidates);
Vote;
Protect your votes;

Let this be our motto for this election period.
Copy and text the motto to as many as possible on your GSM and several times during the voter registration period.
One Man, One Vote!!!
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by phantom(m): 12:48pm On Sep 30, 2010
lol, tokyo is probably rolling on the floor right now, grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by Ericology(m): 1:10pm On Sep 30, 2010
babapupa:

I mean, where do you get off slaughtering your own people and kidnapping little school kids just because of money?

The fact is, ibo people are socially and culturally violent and what is going on in Aba is a sad reflection of their predisposed violent nature. Just look at their level of aggressiveness in this thread sef,

grin grin grin Exactly the way the Ifes and Modakekes slaughtered each other owing to the yorubas predisposed violent nature-- mschewwwww, some people sabi speak thru the anus,
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by JudgeDredd: 1:14pm On Sep 30, 2010
As much as I detest Babangida's statement of the youth not ready for leadership roles, I'm tempted to believe it going by the previous 5 posts b4 me. Instead of coming together to (form a movement if need be) right the ills of the society we currently populate, we're too busy trying to deride each other's region.

Pray tell, how is any of this helping the plight/image of Nigeria?. . . and to think one of the posters is a mod! undecided
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by Chuks84(m): 1:15pm On Sep 30, 2010
The title of this thread insults a whole tribe and I'm tempted to hurl insults at the poster but i'll refrain from doing so. Instead I'll ask: Is Lagos a  reflection of what the whole west? Is Borno a reflection of what the north is? Please think before posting nonsensical topics. There are many variables to be considered, Aba is part and parcel of Nigeria, Its a reflection of the nations woes.
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by Ericology(m): 1:17pm On Sep 30, 2010
bk.babe97y:

Wow, these brutish and uncivilized Ibos. Even after the Yoruba man taught them how to read and write you would think theyd leave all their beastly characters behind,but, no. . . . If they aint kidnapping lil Indian gals in Mumbai, they kidnapping Ibo kids in Aba. If they aint slanging coke in Jo'burgh, they getting hung for slanging dope in Indonesia. If they aint sleeping with other's wives in London and Frankfurt, they killing they own wives in Dallas. The list goes on and on. . . .  Ibo men, is everything evil supposed to be carried out by only you? wow!

Am new on this site, used to read and walk away but later registered, most people here do contribute positively to discussions but also get off line when they wish, BUT FOR YOU, I HAVE NT READ ANYTHING TANGIBLE FROM U EXCEPT IGBO DIS IGBO DAT, must u sound so retrogressive and unpalatable to prove ur half-baked points??'Tufiakwa
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by Guyman02: 1:20pm On Sep 30, 2010
In the 1960s Eastern Nigeria was considered as one of the fastest growing economies in the world and Aba was the focus. Most of indigenous manufacturing plants were located there.
In other to subjugate the reviving eastern economy after the war by discouraging local patronage; items produced in Aba were labelled as 'Aba made' even by those who produced nothing and were entirely dependent on oil revenue being managed by Northern officers. You need to visit Aba and see the ingenuity of the people there. People who were able to refine Jet A1 to fly improvised fighter bombers and built armored personnel carriers to withstand an army with international backing of super powers for three years.
With some of these achievements, I believe that Baifra would have been competing favourably with the likes of South Korea and Singapore and not what we are experiencing today, sentiments apart.
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by daylae(m): 1:22pm On Sep 30, 2010
Phantom,i do understand why you choose humor as your healing process,but its cowardly of you to dulge my reply,after u've spewed so much nonsense before. I blame muppet that made u laugh.
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by Chuks84(m): 1:23pm On Sep 30, 2010
@babapupa, I have been reading your posts and I cant hep but wonder which jungle you were raised in. You reason like a cave man. Its sad to see how eager you are to blame the Ibos for their woes. Naturally violent? I laugh. Its obvious you are just a tribalistic dunce. Please take your Ignorant comments somewhere else.
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by Ericology(m): 1:30pm On Sep 30, 2010
Guyman02:

In the 1960s Eastern Nigeria was considered as one of the fastest growing economies in the world and Aba was the focus. Most of indigenous manufacturing plants were located there.
In other to subjugate the reviving eastern economy after the war by discouraging local patronage; items produced in Aba were labelled as 'Aba made' even by those who produced nothing and were entirely dependent on oil revenue being managed by Northern officers. You need to visit Aba and see the ingenuity of the people there. People who were able to refine Jet A1 to fly improvised fighter bombers and built armored personnel carriers to withstand an army with international backing of super powers for three years.
With some of these achievements, I believe that Baifra would have been competing favourably with the likes of South Korea and Singapore and not what we are experiencing today, sentiments apart.

Onyenwe anyi gozie gi
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by Reference(m): 1:42pm On Sep 30, 2010
If Biafra had been structured like the present Nigeria then perhaps. But nothing can beat this failing state called Nigeria. In the military days these sort of problems were hidden. Now that civilians rule and the police is the  prime law enforcement organ the issue/problem of federalism viz security is slowly emerging. You simply cannot effectively tackle local problems without local input. It is appropriate for the Federal Government to step in only when local enforcement is unable then as we say the files get handed over. Information is the key to success here. Where does a man coming from Abuja start. What language does he speak. It is the reason for example that local security is being set up in Iraq and lately Afghanistan. You simply cannot handle certain issues without winning the so called hearts and minds. The best those troops coming from afar will do is to set-up road blocks and hope the problem will go away. In this case finding those kids is their priority. What happens after then. Real security goes to the very root of the problem. This is only possible by Abians themselves. The time has come for us to re-examine the issue of local security. I would not call it state police (because a lot of people chose to live the lies of the past) but the Federal Government has to devolve power. Now to those who think this is an eastern issue should know that the Nigerian Police is failing throughout Nigeria. It is only when you crack an egg you realise it is rotting inside. It is, it can and it will happen everywhere.
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by samm(m): 1:47pm On Sep 30, 2010
[In the 1960s Eastern Nigeria was considered as one of the fastest growing economies in the world and Aba was the focus. Most of indigenous manufacturing plants were located there.
With some of these achievements, I believe that Baifra would have been competing favourably with the likes of South Korea and Singapore and not what we are experiencing today, sentiments apart.]

Yeah right.  Biafran would have failed. The same greed and power struggle that exists today would have still existed in Biafra. And someone here believes that Ojukwu will fight evil with brutality etc, what kind of country would that be.  And because Ojukwu himself will be perfect and not fight his political enemies with the same brutality.
Biafra:  Ojukwu would have assumed the new nation is his and will not relinquish power.  Oppositions will rise, factions formed and a civil war will ensue.  Nigeria will discover oil and the economy will be booming. Biafrans will migrate to Nigeria. Biafran economy will fail, country becomes weak and war ridden.

Look at the Igbo leaders we have today. If we don't have Biafra, at least we have our own states. We have leaders at the national level. We should at least do the best we can with what we have, that might convince Abians and maybe other groups that a seperate nation will be at our best interest.  Although even at that, I don't believe it is.
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by MaziUche0(m): 1:48pm On Sep 30, 2010
My problem with some of these posters from the other tribes is that they get happy when they hear about problems in Igboland, but there region is not better.

Lagos is probably the most crime filled city in all of Nigeria. But no one talks about that.
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by DatNiggaAk(m): 1:49pm On Sep 30, 2010
please let us be objective here.
i didn't start this thread to run down any tribe.
all i just said is that with the level of lawlessness in Aba, i can't but help but ponder on what Biafra would have been
had it been successfull.i also wonder if it is as a result of government in Nigeria that is responsible for the problems in the east
or if it is just in their nature as a people.
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by MaziUche0(m): 1:51pm On Sep 30, 2010
Guyman02:

I definitely agree with you. I do have much appreciation for Aba. The city has so much potential. Nigeria has not been good for the East. The parasitic Northern elite and Yorubas have caused the East not to progress. Acting like our land is vanquished territory. And then they divided the East using a tactic that the British used through "Divide & Rule."

I wish Biafra did not lose. Nigeria is a failed state and it will never progress.
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by MaziUche0(m): 1:54pm On Sep 30, 2010
DatNiggaAk:

please let us be objective here.
i didn't start this thread to run down any tribe.
all i just said is that with the level of lawlessness in Aba, i can't but help but ponder on what Biafra would have been
had it been successfull.i also wonder if it is as a result of government in Nigeria that is responsible for the problems in the east
or if it is just in their nature as a people.

What do you think?

The East was a very peaceful place prior to the war. This war changed that. And people wonder why Igbos hate Nigeria with a passion. And now the Niger Delta is starting to wake up.

Eastern Nigeria would be a much better place if people would focus on their own dammn region.
Re: Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? by Obiagu1(m): 1:59pm On Sep 30, 2010
If Aba and the East is a problem to you all, then gently let them secede from Nigeria without you folks fighting tooth and nail to keep them in Nigeria.

Till someone tells me why Nigeria has refused to let Igbos go, everything else said here doesn't make sense.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

"Muhammadu Buhari Way", Kebbi, Bagudu Names A Street After Buhari (photos) / Buhari Saved Nigeria From Embarrassment By Suspending Onnoghen –Tony Momoh / Cross River Governor Presents N1.043 Trillion Budget Estimates For 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.