Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,216 members, 7,829,360 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:53 AM

What Was Your First Job Abroad? - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Was Your First Job Abroad? (13245 Views)

First Job Abroad / Job Abroad / Summer Job Abroad Before Nysc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by ayomifull(f): 12:03pm On Jul 25, 2008
Customer care, quite boring still at it though
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by seyibrown(f): 9:55pm On Jul 31, 2008
I came here on a 2 year holiday, got a job as a carer, full-time live-in carer, everything I needed came with the job so I never lacked anything. Being a carer isn't easy but I enjoyed it.

My employer and her family were just like my family. It was a wonderful time and we are still family. God bless them all.

I did the caring for 1 year and holidayed 1 year.

Got married, now my own boss and working towards greater things.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by ceasyc(f): 11:42pm On Aug 23, 2008
was offered a cleaning job but refused
i stayed with friends n relatives for 2 mths 
(dat no easy o, 2 get job no easy either, ppl - friends n relatives
bounce n throw u around/out like garbage)
b4 i got my 1st job @
alldays stores, london, uk as a shop/checkout assistant
dey only asked 4 NI bk then, was very lucky as an overstayer
with no docs
but story n life don change since then
uk tuff now oh!
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by maree7(f): 7:34am On Aug 24, 2008
@ Lucabraci

lucabrasi:

fair enough,but you don't get what im saying though right now im studying and lets face it its easier to face your studies full time if you can afford it than working and studying at the same time, i personally cannot and i was left to make a choice if i wanted to work or not,that is why i said that i will be working in nigeria once im finished here to show that its not like ill be chilling out doing nothing, if i wanted to i could as well but like you said its not responsible and thats just plain lazy,i just believe in putting stuffs in the right perspective i.e in my own case anyway,theres always a time for everything.
dude forget about that old mantra of money worked for and money earned, i appreciate my parents a lot for the help and i do my bit anytime in nigeria ill give you an idea of what i do for charity on my fb if you're on there,and i have no hang ups about getting financial help from my dad and i wouldnt change that for the world, if you have an option of not working whille you are studying and you are then im sure you have a very good reason to which is known to you but as for me, ill rather go from my class to the library and then back home to ait in that cold winter than subjecting myself to working when i really don't need to ,so as to prove a point , parnts are diffrent and mine have diffrent ways of judging responsibility smiley
dude,my gangster name s just a facade, sorta like the harder outer shell of chocolate and a soft inside

i seriouly feel u, we are kinda in the same shoes. . . my loving mother and I joined our heads together and we made a plan, if i faced my studies and take the maximim number of classes dat are comfortable for me (4-5 classes)however having to get A's and B's then she can do the work. .I kinda had to take the offer i had no choice. So i can finish quickly so both of us can head back to Nigeria. . Thank u Jesus i am done with my first degree. . but some of the friends i started with are still in school because most of them took like 1 or 2 classes with their Jobs. . i do respect them a lot for working so hard. kiss
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by lucabrasi(m): 7:08pm On Aug 27, 2008
maree7:

@ Lucabraci

i seriouly feel u, we are kind of in the same shoes. . . my loving mother and I joined our heads together and we made a plan, if i faced my studies and take the maximim number of classes that are comfortable for me (4-5 classes)however having to get A's and B's then she can do the work. .I kind of had to take the offer i had no choice. So i can finish quickly so both of us can head back to Nigeria. . Thank u Jesus i am done with my first degree. . but some of the friends i started with are still in school because most of them took like 1 or 2 classes with their Jobs. . i do respect them a lot for working so hard. kiss
exactly,now u ll be sorted out with a good job plus u studied and read with ease as opposed to working and studying, tried looking fr a job at the begginning of summer and ended up window shoppn too much stress abeg grin
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by kobomoje(m): 5:11am On Sep 13, 2008
my 1st job in d queensland was street cleaning. i only lasted 3 days on d job b4 i quit (because i could barely walk again.)
, but 2day, i give all d glory to God.
i normally tell pple who r jus coming in dat, "u've got 2 pay ur dues", mo ti mu garri, kin to ma je chicken
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by IBEXY(m): 4:06pm On Sep 23, 2008
kobomoje:
i normally tell people who r jus coming in that, "u've got 2 pay ur dues", mo ti mu garri, kin to ma je chicken

100% agree with that shit.
Life abroad no be chicken and dodo. If u are not careful, u continue paying the 'dues' for a long long time especially when u dont get the right info or friends. The difference comes with associating with the right people. People willing to tell u stuff like where to get jobs, teach u survival techniques. You'll be surprised how people hoard information. undecided
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by ThoniaSlim(f): 4:01am On Sep 25, 2008
My first job, I was a computer n phone operator for some real estate agency here. i was bored during the hols and my former landlady suggested me to her boss( they were looking for a temporary staff). it lasted for a month cus school resumed. Though it was a short one, i still enjoyed every bit of it. i learnt a lot within the short period, the pay was reasonable(especially for a student) n there were freebies tongue.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by zoge: 5:37am On Jan 20, 2009
Im currently on my first job abroad and it is a one year industrial placement in the city of london. I work as an IT analyst and earn16k per annum. £1070 a month. This work placement is part of my degree studies and I have been offered a permanent position upon graduation but I think I prefer going home for nysc and then settling there for good.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by Ndipe(m): 10:53pm On Feb 12, 2009
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by SeanT21(f): 9:47pm On Feb 13, 2009
My first Job was at Chuck E Cheese.I used to host parties,dance with lil kids,Wash dishes,Make Pizza and Cotten candy,Wear the Chuck E Cheese costume and shake kids hands,etc all for 6:75 an hour.I moved to North Carolina after my southmore year so i left the Job.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by Nobody: 8:45pm On Aug 07, 2009
Very revealing posts. At least, i now know what to expect when i get there.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by lanresz(m): 10:13pm On Aug 07, 2009
Very revealing posts and it's good to remmeber where one starts from. My first job was in London with one job agency called first call. A group of us will be transported to Dartford early in the morning at 6am. Before then I just finished my first degree in South Africa and I had the option of going to Nigeria for NYSC or go to UK on working holiday. Having no idea of what happens in UK, I decided to go to UK for working holiday. I stayed with one of our family friends then who advised that if I go for any work that I consider coping difficult I should just quit the job since I had accommodation and feeding. Our job at Dartford then was to be putting pen in the envelopes. U have to put like 100 pens in envelopes within an hour. I couldn't cope and I quit after 2 weeks. To make the matter worse, the pay was just 4.10pounds per hour. The next one I got after almost a month of not working was another agency job now with a better agency. These people drove us to Harlow for a 12 hours shift in Tesco recycling centre. The job was nothing to write home about put the pay wasn't too bad in comparison to the other one. They pay 6pounds per hour. I worked for 2 months before I got a job as a parking enforcement officer with a contractor for London Borough of Enfield. It was a difficult job. U get home and u just want to sleep. It's 10 hours shift and you walked for the whole 10 hours giving tickets to people parking on yellow line, double yellow line, bus stop. I'm sure pple in London knows the full description of the job. Working with white pple that couldn't finish from high school and they all look down on you because they believed they were all better. I didn't think about leaving Uk when I got admission for masters in Canada with funding. When I look back I thank God for seeing me through those period. I'm currently working as a reseacher for government of Alberta and about to complete my Ph.D.

1 Like

Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by akute(f): 10:56pm On Aug 07, 2009
woRKed in a burger joint
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by Nobody: 1:51am On Aug 08, 2009
Hmmm, well the posts are pretty funny and encouraging.

My first job was with a recruitment agency, i had to travel  3 1/2 hours by train to get to Sydney just to do the shifts. First they sent me to the stadium, where i served beer and snacks during rugby games, ozzies love their beer!!! did that for a couple of months on and off but really hated getting home at 2am, so i stopped taking those shifts. Then they tried me at waitressing, did that for a day,couldn't balance the plates grin. Then they sent me to a hospital to clean in Kings cross, boy that was an experience!!!! Then my late brother suggested i try working for a hotel as a room attendant, so i told the recruitment agency and they sent me to a couple of their hotels. Once i got the gist of the work, i applied to some 4/5star hotels and was employed by one as a casual staff. The pay was good, they worked with me as per my shifts. I worked friday,sat and sundays during the semester and anytime during holidays. My supervisors were Asian and pretty cool with me, i never followed the alloted time, but i was thorough, did that for two years, then got feed up of the train journey. Tried nursing home work, but that was sooooooo depressing, couldnt go back after a couple of months. Was jobless for a couple of months looking for a job close to me then a 'friend' gave me a referal at his work place and they took me as a room attendant, did that till i graduated and came back to Naija. Service year was hell cos i worked like a full staff ( if you've got to do something, do it well) and once i finished they retained me, but since they didn't pay i had to leave, joined a bank where the devil wanted to test me and i ended up resigning.  I truly believe i've endured a lot, but God has been kind. I'm still looking for 'my' job, as it's time to build a career  and not just have a job, but being idle is a killer and Naija isn't conducive for beginners, but i have faith smiley. Masters is on my mind, but it's not now, no matter how restless i get my gut says it's not  yet time for that, so i'll keep searching, hoping and praying i can endure till i finally hit it big.  My brother was my strength, with the Lord, but since his passing i've been a wreck, so it's me and God in this final stage, i hope to do him, my family  and me proud in the end. The  journey continues-----------------Peace cool!!
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by noblegas2(m): 6:56pm On Aug 10, 2009
lol, never worked abroad cuz ppl work for me lol,
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by Ndipe(m): 7:06pm On Aug 10, 2009
@ezinine, you have really persevered, quite touching and inspiring. Best wishes.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by axeman85(m): 11:48pm On Aug 10, 2009
my first job in the uk was on a commission based basis and after 1 whole month of working during winter period basically knocking on peoples door trying to sell various charities to the, got paid £9.36p cash in hand in a small brown envelope. will never forget , worked in a facotry and later security guard. finally after 2years in the uk was wroking as well as doing my A, levels as well. worked for a financial solutions company, and finally working as an accounts manager in a bank now. but also still skooling as well. i definately intend to return to naija as soon as i am done, with my skooling.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by Nobody: 1:47am On Aug 11, 2009
SFA student service, this fall grin lipsrsealed
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by DisGuy: 2:14pm On Aug 21, 2011
Where are the new recruit, University of life Abroad campus  grin

JJCs report here!!
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by damola1: 9:15pm On Aug 21, 2011
, never worked for anyone all my life but always worked for my customers, Since I was 16, was an entrepreneur, simple as that.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Studying In France. / Passengers Disrupt Arik’s Services At Lagos Airport / Five Die As Trailer Crashes Into Commercial Bus In Edo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.