Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,385 members, 7,830,002 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:46 PM

What Was Your First Job Abroad? - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Was Your First Job Abroad? (13247 Views)

First Job Abroad / Job Abroad / Summer Job Abroad Before Nysc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by docokwy(m): 12:04pm On May 09, 2007
So how many of them Nigerians are plate washers in Yanky? grin grin grin
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by docokwy(m): 12:05pm On May 09, 2007
shocked shocked
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by panla: 1:52pm On May 09, 2007
Its not where u start but rather where u end up. Man, I did some warehouse job as a student in Jand, it was depressing but as a hussla I just did what I had too doo to get by.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by richylaw(m): 1:56pm On May 09, 2007
I actually worked as a concierge/ porter in a Scottish five star hotel. Bad pay but great money and material tips. It wasn't  easy I must confess, cos I had to put on a scottish 'quilt' ( a man wearing skirt) as my uniform . I get harrassed by crazy drunkards passing by, they want to raise my skirt and see what is undermeath. And for those who know what the scottish temperature is in the UK, then you will pity my tiny legs. To God's glory I am done with my masters , hoping for my PHD soonest but at the moment I am a Design / 3d visualizing Architect in a reknown Architectural outfit here in the UK
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by chuckdee4(m): 2:49pm On May 09, 2007
@ Richylaw:
i feel ur pain, a kilt/quilt, o boy thats harsh o, inside that cold scottish weather. I had to wear a bakers outfit n a hot to match, o d days, thats why i look back at those days and thank god for how far he's taken me. these menial jobs are simply humble beginnings for gigger things that will eventually happen
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by Nobody: 3:27pm On May 09, 2007
richylaw:

I actually worked as a concierge/ porter in a Scottish five star hotel. Bad pay but great money and material tips. It wasn't easy I must confess, because I had to put on a scottish 'quilt' ( a man wearing skirt) as my uniform . I get harrassed by crazy drunkards passing by, they want to raise my skirt and see what is undermeath. And for those who know what the scottish temperature is in the UK, then you will pity my tiny legs. To God's glory I am done with my masters , hoping for my PHD soonest but at the moment I am a Design / 3d visualizing Architect in a reknown Architectural outfit here in the UK

osanobua!!.
Thank God the wind didn't blow,everyone on Sauchiehall street would have seen what was under you kilt.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by thesilent1(m): 4:00pm On May 09, 2007
some of you crack me up!!! lol saying you will rather suffer than work in a kitchen or something like that! LOL
stay there! My first job was a kitchen job, washing pots and pans. did that every morning between 5am and 8am, went to college and came back for the evening shift! did that for 2 years straight to put myself through college. "graduated" to making breakfast after the first 3 months though, so not all that bad i guess!
i remember not having an alarm clock in those days, but as i lived in wembley (UK) i was lucky enough to rent a room opposite the Hilton hotel so i would look out the wondow at around 3am to check the time! LOL
i laugh now but those days were tough!!! thank God for boarding school though, bring it on!!!!

if i could face all the labour and school grass cutting, i am sure i can survive anything!

peace!
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by JustGood(m): 4:21pm On May 09, 2007
my first job na bouncer for pubs and clubs, fri-sun nights.

it was a fun job but not really for an enlightened person. most of the other people were ex-con, drug users and undesirable elements so i didn't particularly fit in. I quit after I got my current job 6 years ago
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by JustGood(m): 4:24pm On May 09, 2007
Egbon, yes the regulations have really been tightened up. Companies have to ask all new employees for proof of legal work status, even white English people. I've had to show my passport to new employers.

na lie. dem no dey ask oyinbo for pali to work
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by JustGood(m): 4:26pm On May 09, 2007
jajaopobo:

To all you 'Andrews' that still haven't found work. There's always the option of coming back home where, believe it or not, opportunities abound!

give me the job and I'll be back home tomorrow
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by JustGood(m): 4:27pm On May 09, 2007
babyosisi:

osanobua!!.
Thank God the wind didn't blow,everyone on Sauchiehall street would have seen what was under you kilt.

if the guy waka pass sauchiehall street like that, na the girls go pull him willy comot for him body
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by neelsel(f): 4:31pm On May 09, 2007
A Teacher, pained the hell of out of me, since you aren't allowed to whack these lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by richylaw(m): 4:37pm On May 09, 2007
@ Babyosisi and JustGood

Na to wear like six boxer and cyclers short under o.
It was as if you knew, most times I end pushing luggage trolley from Argyle street into the Central Station on Gordon street.
Come see me see trouble , I always turn out to be a superstar ( a BLACK MAN IN KILT ) using one hand to hold kilt down and the other to push trolley.Not like now that we have a good number of blacks here, then there were very few blacks in scotland
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by rikkyjen(m): 5:29pm On May 09, 2007
Hmm, after reading about people doing all sort of jobs in Yankie with H1,F1, tourist visas cheesy, i think its time for me to get back to my closet, dust my greencard (where is it sef? ) cheesy and jump for halleluyah! sad.

On a serious note, have seen students and people reduced to water Lillies, because they are scared of working extra hours because Homeland security can nab their butts and deport them pantless!. Have got this pakistani pal with a F1 visa, he never hesistates to tell me about his opulent life in Pakistan everytime he can't afford to throw some wads of dollars away cheesy cheesy
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by anusule(m): 5:33pm On May 09, 2007
angry
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by rikkyjen(m): 5:46pm On May 09, 2007
anusule:

angry

Oginni, wetin? cheesy
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by Nobody: 7:35pm On May 09, 2007
where all those Naija New York  and Houston cab drivers,aren't there some here on nairaland?
I'm dying to hear of your first cab experience in a bad neighborhood.,lol.

I had a cousin that was pizza delivery guy and he told us of how these akata boys would jump down from trees,beat him up and snatch his pizza.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by BruceLee: 8:15pm On May 09, 2007
After 4 weeks of working as a security guard standing 12 hours on a daily basis, I fainted on one ocassion midway through a shift. Na for hospital dem tell me say I faint. I just follow doctor advice, so I no dey do the job anymore, otherwise power fit finish for man body suddenly. Till today the sole of my feet still dey pain me. Na wah for this una abroad o. Una for tell me wetin dey ground on time. Anyway this December no go catch me for this una town, me I no know for una o.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by Nobody: 9:00pm On May 09, 2007
well last time I was in the UK

I looooked for odd jobs, just kept missing them
finally got a job taking a babysitters kids to school. I got 5pounds an hour since the school was close by all i really got was 5 pounds a day. Because I didn't have enuf cash couldn't go home during their school hours so I waalked around the neighboring shoppin malls till my feet hurt. Had such terrible back pain sometimes I'd go to the library where I could at least sit down and browse for free.

Chai! it was horrible, I learnt to live on 5 pounds food a week Places like Aldi and Lydl were my sustenance.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by adconline(m): 9:16pm On May 09, 2007
Richandblack.
It all depends on why the person is relocating. It is possible to move to "obodo beke" (the West) and your first job be a manager in Microsoft Corporation

How many people fit this category. Dont tell me about Stan Ekehs , Soyinkas, Achebes, Miscrosoft Guys in Naija. When we hype about this Oyibo land, make we mellow down.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by olat2k(m): 10:43pm On May 09, 2007
mates its not easy, if i was told life was like this in UK i would nt ve bothered coming probably would be in one of this banks with my certi but since my siblings filed paper for me b4 i left i felt its ok.
My first job was at a cinema making hot popcorn and cleaning.There was a day i missed my bus and there was no night bus for those that knows bluewater.I walked from bluewater to Dartford.I thank God now things are better I realised the longer you stay the more chances you have.But one day I will still pack my bag and head home.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by anusule(m): 10:44pm On May 09, 2007
still searching as at today. i went to jobcentre plus sad
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by DisGuy: 10:47pm On May 09, 2007
olat2k:

mates its not easy, if i was told life was like this in UK i would nt ve bothered coming probably would be in one of this banks with my certi but since my siblings filed paper for me before i left i felt its ok.
My first job was at a cinema making hot popcorn and cleaning.There was a day i missed my bus and there was no night bus for those that knows bluewater.I walked from bluewater to Dartford.I thank God now things are better I realised the longer you stay the more chances you have.But one day I will still pack my bag and head home.

Bloody hell wetin do you, which kain person u be sef, na your type they make oyinbo use them shio! what in the world were you thinking? i bet you wanted extra hours
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by DisGuy: 10:49pm On May 09, 2007
anusule, move from yorkshire man! that place is dead! try call centres, ive got a friend in leeds

why dont you ask for help from the staffs there, some people dont really know how to look for jobs
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by anusule(m): 10:52pm On May 09, 2007
pls more info bro, u said call centres, your friend, please break it down. please. abeg.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by olat2k(m): 10:56pm On May 09, 2007
Mr DIS GUY,

it was not that i wanted extra hours,I normally close by 12 midnight but dis day LORD OF THE RINGS came out  and it was busy i was only late to the bus stand for 5min I saw the bus leaving but no amount of shout could stop it.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by DisGuy: 10:58pm On May 09, 2007
anusule
she works for halifax call-centre seems those are the kind of jobs they have there. ive never been there and she been there all her life

Mr olat2k, i feel for you o! i worked for M&S in bluewater before and i don't play with my train/bus times o! that place be like no mans land!
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by olat2k(m): 11:03pm On May 09, 2007
I tell you I regert coming to UK dat night it was cold,You know one of those fine afternoon towards summer so i felt it would be like dat all night.
I was not having jacket boy oh boy black man strong
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by busygirl(f): 11:05pm On May 09, 2007
@ anusule, wishing you the best in your job search.
I went to work today. . . .It was so tiring. I didn't sit, I was on my feet for 4 hrs @ a stretch. On top say na voluntary work, I no know who send me message. . .
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by anusule(m): 11:05pm On May 09, 2007
olat2k:

I tell you I regert coming to UK that night it was cold,You know one of those fine afternoon towards summer so i felt it would be like that all night.
I was not having jacket boy oh boy black man strong

lol

@Dis Guy
Thanks bro, i,ll check on them. by the way could u link me up with her?  wink
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by anusule(m): 11:07pm On May 09, 2007
@busygirl

i dont mind voluntary work o! if i wl gain xperience from it, then im in.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by DisGuy: 11:11pm On May 09, 2007
anusule, are you a student?

have you tried jobcentreplus?staples superstore

trolley collector

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Passengers Disrupt Arik’s Services At Lagos Airport / Studying In France. / Five Die As Trailer Crashes Into Commercial Bus In Edo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.