Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,460 members, 7,830,287 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:14 PM

What Was Your First Job Abroad? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Was Your First Job Abroad? (13251 Views)

First Job Abroad / Job Abroad / Summer Job Abroad Before Nysc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by dollyp1cute(f): 2:04pm On May 08, 2007
Quote from: LoVeBoOBS on Today at 07:20:01 AM
Thank God 4 my loving caring parents because i don't see myself working at a fast food joint. lai lai i will rather suffer than work there.

POSTING grin
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by busygirl(f): 2:10pm On May 08, 2007
[/quote]
English1:

Junegirl - most students, international or not, do these sorts of jobs to help pay the bills while they are studying. It's hard to find a good job that fits in with study hours. People here don't see anything shameful or wrong in doing this sort of thing. Most professionals I know have done a stint in a grotty job or two!

Egbon, yes the regulations have really been tightened up. Companies have to ask all new employees for proof of legal work status, even white English people. I've had to show my passport to new employers.

There's no shame in earning money to pay your bills. I think that many graduates/students coming here from abroad seem to think that they are above doing the sorts of jobs that graduates/students do here to support themselves. Perhaps in their own countries only poor/uneducated people do these jobs, but here it is different. Of course, no-one wants to be stuck doing this sort of thing for the rest of their lives, but it's very common for people here to take whatever they can while they look for something better. Taking jobs like these doesn't mean you get labelled as someone who can only do those jobs. I'm a professional, now with my own company, and in the past I've worked in factories, supermarkets and a hospital laundry. My own son is currently working as a barman while he studies. My best friend used to be a waitress and a barmaid and now 3 years later she is the head credit controller for a whole group of companies. My boyfriend was a professional with many years experience and good qualificationswhen he moved here and had to start off working in a factory and as a taxi driver. He now owns a company employing 10 people. You have to be prepared to start at the bottom, no matter where you come from.
I agree with you. We all have to start from somewhere.
[quote author=dollyp1cute link=topic=52383.msg1100178#msg1100178 date=1178629452]
Thank God 4 my loving caring parents because i don't see myself working at a fast food joint. lai lai i will rather suffer than work there.
There's nothing wrong with making your own money. . .and also nothing wrong with a fast food joint.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by RichyBlacK(m): 2:13pm On May 08, 2007
English1:

You have to be prepared to start at the bottom, no matter where you come from.

Too strong a statement, hence making it patently false
It all depends on why the person is relocating. It is possible to move to "obodo beke" (the West) and your first job be a manager in Microsoft Corporation.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by omoge(f): 2:16pm On May 08, 2007
i think it is a stepping stone. given that you don't know much about the place anyway, and for international student you are not allow to work outside the college. there are many jobs in the school, well not the big thing but okay. the law does not allow you to work outside, where you could have more choices, if you break the law ha you are on your way home, for those in yankee, you are only allowed to work 20hours a week, and 40hours during holidays, the system work well o so you will be caught if you work outside or work more than the 20hours, no matter what. a classmate from Tanzanian did and he was warned, lol, he was telling the manager ''i have a wife and 4kids in Africa to take care of, don't you understand eh?" oga yankee manager said well am sorry but that's the law. he had to stop or gets into more trouble, sad, he was sent home as he did what made his scholarship suspended.

on rare occasion and in very needy situation, the law will permit you to work outside but not VERY common. ha, they will do investigation on you before that. so it's hard not by word of mouth eh i need more money so i wan work for outside campus, no way.

my work as serving in the salad bar continued for 3years (only when school is in session), each quarter i work 6hours there and the rest 12 hours I Tutor.
Summer i work 40hours working with others Painting Dorms in the huge school. This I did for 2 Summer.

And the money, well I save them all. i helped my siblings and friends with the money too. I had a full tuition so am not working to pay for anything just for my savings.
But summer I'm on my own.

So Ndipe, am with you on that. Not really easy but that independent spirit is what many of us experienced while here.

junegirl:

Well, do all international students have to do menial jobs in UK?
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by DisGuy: 2:33pm On May 08, 2007
WHsmith victoria station cheesy

I finished from secondary school and most poeple in my class had one job or the other,
so i went to the jobcenter didnt know how to look for a job a lady gave me one form to fill in
and pronto! very good pay as well grin
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by Nobody: 2:34pm On May 08, 2007
This place hard o for our brethren in naija who think it's all rosy.
It can be very challenging in the beginning when you're willing to do anything to survive even wash corpses and put make up on them.

when I left my dishwashing job in London,I applied to be a chamber maid ie making beds and clean up hotel rooms and I was turned down.

Now that was heartbreaking,how can one be denied that sort of job?
Thank God those days now seem so far away.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by knotty(m): 2:38pm On May 08, 2007
i worked as a graduate assistant. i had it worked from naija.
in Ghana, grin you had to be really good to teach there
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by IBEXY(m): 3:37pm On May 08, 2007
Security guard work. Nothing else could let me study. Again, I could dress neat and not do any manual jobs. wink
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by anabell(f): 3:43pm On May 08, 2007
my first job , was working 4  air atlanta europe as a cabin crew, it was really a wonderful job cos i got to go to alot of places
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by anusule(m): 3:57pm On May 08, 2007
@IBEXY you must be boxed up men, security job pays well from £6-like £13 per hour depending on experience.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by LoVeBoOBS: 4:20pm On May 08, 2007
@remoe
are you serious?  how old are you by the way? because you sound 14 or less
How the hell do i sound 14 because i said i don’t or will ever see myself working at the fast food, I have higher standard than that nor do I need to the money since am been taken care off by my loving parents , so if you don't like my respond fu ck off wink

@busygirl
There's nothing wrong with making your own money. . .and also nothing wrong with a fast food joint
Yes you are right there is nothing wrong in making my own money but me working in fast food is bad for me and is good for you, people have different taste. What is good for me might be bad for you.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by Aroro(m): 4:21pm On May 08, 2007
I landed a security job at a leather store in SOHO, Broadway and Spring, NYC. By launchtime my legs were shaking from continuous standing. I prayed that God should get me through the day because I wasn't gonna subject myself to such punishment no matter the pay. I'm lazy like that. Thank God I had family to lean on for a week before a Naija guy helped me secure a store job that I had a chair to seat for 12hrs, 7 days a week. Pay was good and control was relaxed. I later enrolled in a college and passed the bar exam. Now things are looking rosy and those that think that my life was offered on a platter have no frickin idea.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by BlackMamba(m): 4:30pm On May 08, 2007
First job was hanging out all day in a friend's real estate office setting up appointments for house showing. I wasn't paid but I get to eat twice a day and avoid watching morning TV shows with nursing moms and senior citizens. It lasted for a couple of months until I got my work permit.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by ricadelide(m): 6:29pm On May 08, 2007
i worked as a graduate research (and teaching) assistant. Have to be in the lab from morning till night including weekends doing experiments. Also do some teaching of undergrads.
Sha, i enjoy it, so its all good.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by romeo(m): 7:35pm On May 08, 2007
LoVeBoOBS:

@remoe How the hell do i sound 14 because i said i don’t or will ever see myself working at the fast food, I have higher standard than that nor do I need to the money since am been taken care off by my loving parents , so if you don't like my respond fu ck off wink

i am called "romeo" and you don't have to be insultive to make your point ok!! and that still shows you're underage
you don't have to under-estimate other people's first job because u have some nice parents to take care of you, i did laundry job as a first job and later worked in mcdonalds for a year and today i can pay for your education and feeding till you get independent or even if u like for your lifetime
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by Nobody: 8:22pm On May 08, 2007
dollyp1cute:

eeya, all the other peeps on the thread must have wicked uncaring parents.not to worry, loving parents or not, u'll still have to go through the wire someday
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by sisimose(f): 8:33pm On May 08, 2007
lol

Kudos to all the guys and girls who held down honest jobs when they left their countries. Nothing like standing on own two feet. It is so uncool these days to say ''my daddy or my mummy is sending me money'' only very few ppl have this life, so lets not kid ourselfs lol

My first job was as a sales asst , nothing beats it lol (it was hard)

again an honest job beats a lazy or easy money man/woman
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by nazzyon(m): 11:19pm On May 08, 2007
Don't worry my first job will be washing stiffs

Don't laugh grin grin grin grin
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by Nobody: 12:45am On May 09, 2007
never worked, its against the rules to hold a job if you are on a fellowship.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by okoobo(m): 12:55am On May 09, 2007
i was a love-vendor.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by Nobody: 12:57am On May 09, 2007
blood of Jesus!
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by anusule(m): 12:59am On May 09, 2007
holy ghost fire
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by okoobo(m): 1:06am On May 09, 2007
what is that - playing innocent?
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by anusule(m): 1:12am On May 09, 2007
yep. right. cool
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by princeonx: 1:24am On May 09, 2007
my first job in U.S was "LOKING FOR A JOB" Filling apps. 5 to 10 places a day!
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by princeonx: 1:24am On May 09, 2007
LOOKING grin
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by Tornadoz(m): 2:14am On May 09, 2007
Gburu
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by uyai(f): 3:11am On May 09, 2007
my first job was at sears men's department. i loved it
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by Pain(m): 6:00am On May 09, 2007
I Love The Honest and Candid Narrations on This Thread. Its Quite Revealing With A Lot To Learn From.

The Height Great Men Reach Is Not Attained In A Sudden Flight But A Gradual Climb. I Love The Unbreakable Nigerian Spirit.

God Stand By U All. Love Ya All kiss
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by IBEXY(m): 10:47am On May 09, 2007
@IBEXY you must be boxed up men, security job pays well from £6-like £13 per hour depending on experience.

remember we are talking of first job and at a time I hardly knew anything in yankee. Of course I was used. I was getting less than £5 until my eyes opened. I dumped that employer like hot potato, got my licence and joined the £7-£10 agencies. That was long ago. I still thank God sha. The cash helped me in school.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by English1(f): 10:53am On May 09, 2007
RichyBlack - yes you are right, of course some people go straight into great jobs. (but my point is that if you can't, you shouldn't be too snobby to do a menial job).

I'd rather sweep the streets than have my parents support me as an adult - I'd find that so embarrassing. How can you be a real adult if mummy and daddy are still looking after you? It's a matter of pride to me. Some people would be too proud to work in a fast-food shop but I'd be too proud not to earn my own money instead of acting like a child.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by jajaopobo(m): 11:26am On May 09, 2007
To all you 'Andrews' that still haven't found work. There's always the option of coming back home where, believe it or not, opportunities abound!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Passengers Disrupt Arik’s Services At Lagos Airport / Studying In France. / Five Die As Trailer Crashes Into Commercial Bus In Edo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.