Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,429 members, 7,830,153 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:01 PM

What Was Your First Job Abroad? - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Was Your First Job Abroad? (13249 Views)

First Job Abroad / Job Abroad / Summer Job Abroad Before Nysc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by Zandra1(f): 4:12pm On Jul 05, 2007
Some of the jobs here had me laughing so hard esp. the guy that wears quilt. My mom didnt want me to work as a high school student till I was in 11th grade and I got a job at White Castle flipping burgers. I cant stand nonsense so I always fought with my manager and knowing they might can me I had to quit. Then in 12th grade I got a job at a clothing store but had to stop when I got into college. Like Ndipe, this summer I got recruited by Cutco to sell knives. I was happy to get the job but my mom warned me about it. Stubbornly I went thinking I would be hired as a receptionist till they told me I have to sell knives to people in their homes and be paid on commission. I had to drive home in anger and my folks were laughing their ass off at me because I was warned earlier. Still looking for another job before the summer is over and I would have to go back to school. People pls do pray for moi cause I need some dough before school starts and its boring staying home. grin
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by Qc1(m): 12:53am On Jul 06, 2007
taxi cab driver in NYC, y'all know how dangerous that was !!!
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by uyai(f): 11:34pm On Jul 08, 2007
I was recruited for that Cutco stuff too.

I thought i was getting a job in the office or something, i was still in high school. i left without looking back
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by mddude(m): 3:50am On Jul 11, 2007
I worked as Customer service rep with sprint then as a Grad student. Although I worked as a teaching Assistant at University of Maryland but there was this place not too far from my house that was paying like $9 in 2000 for a CSR and the schedule was flexible na so I did that to augument my miserly TA pay while in Grad school. I stayed there till I finsihed school and I got a fed govt contract I worked on, I still meet lotta of my CSR mates then - lotta fun time,

I remember one Akata boy calling a Nigerian man at home - The man name is IMAFUKU - The akata guy called the man - I 'Ma FUK U, I was on a call and I had to put the guy on hold and laugh my yansh out
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by soulpatrol(f): 5:32am On Jul 11, 2007
buhahahhahahha! grin grin grin grin grin LMAO!

i totally get you o. i used to work as a CSR as well and the names of customers ehn? e get as e be. the asian names are even worse. you go hear in chinese accent my name is PING HO or WANG BANG or BLING BLING or something. grin and i'm like giggling and can't control myself. e get some wey them name na DICK-something or BUTT-something. i'm like shuuuu, and una dey think say my yoruba name hard to pronounce. yeye people!
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by soulpatrol(f): 10:52pm On Jul 11, 2007
ah ah, siena. this your CV/resume na wa o. before you know whats happening now, recruiter go just employ you one time on this forum.  grin
i've lost count of how many jobs i've worked since i came here. my ass can never stay in one place. i guess because i haven't found what i like yet. then again, i get big mouth and e dey always land me for trouble for work. ha ha ha! grin sad
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by rikkyjen(m): 1:19am On Jul 12, 2007
@ Soul patrol and Md Dude.

What CSR are you calling ursleves grin grin grin. You bloody Tele-marketers grin cheesy cheesy.

I hate 'em tele marketers, stalking my brains out. Im sure you guys are used to insults like crazy.lol grin
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by omoge(f): 1:24am On Jul 12, 2007
i no like Tele marketers too lol, i say go away i no wan buy they still call again. i had to resort speaking broken english whenever they call grin grin grin it works for me grin grin
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by soulpatrol(f): 2:25am On Jul 12, 2007
rikkyjen:

@ Soul patrol and Md Dude.

What CSR are you calling ursleves grin grin grin. You bloody Tele-marketers grin cheesy cheesy.

I hate 'em tele marketers, stalking my brains out. I'm sure you guys are used to insults like crazy.lol grin

@rikkyjen. excuse you, what do mean by we are telemarketers?  angry if i was i would have clearly said so. pls don't just jump to conclusions like that. i was gonna let it slide, but you need to be corrected ok? i never did any telemarketing, i was a CSR, i didn't have to call nobody, they called us. get it?
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by soulpatrol(f): 3:56pm On Jul 12, 2007
@siena. no be say i vex, but i just detest it when peeps like rikkyjen jump to conclusions like that.
i hate those telemarketers as well, they are real pests, and my job as a CSR had nothing to do with calling people up and bugging them. a CSR is completely different, you self sabi. i just wanted to correct the guy. no worries.  grin
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by rikkyjen(m): 5:17pm On Jul 12, 2007
soulpatrol:

@rikkyjen. excuse you, what do mean by we are telemarketers? angry if i was i would have clearly said so. please don't just jump to conclusions like that. i was going to let it slide, but you need to be corrected ok? i never did any telemarketing, i was a CSR, i didn't have to call nobody, they called us. get it?

Hehe he grin grin grin. So you don vex already? cheesy cheesy. Well, am happy we are both on the same page (as in we both hate CSR grin, Oops Telemarketers.lol.

Shoot, i didnt mean to rile you up, aiight? Actually, my initial response was based on the fact that 'em telemarketers glorify their job by calling themselves CSR. cheesy
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by egin(m): 5:30pm On Jul 12, 2007
My first job was working in a group home for retarded people. I did not like it but had no choice moreover with a second class upper in science from Nigeria. I pray for a big change back home so that people can stay back home , avoid situations like this.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by soulpatrol(f): 8:17pm On Jul 12, 2007
@rikkyjen. whatever, dude.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by ubamu2029: 11:39pm On Jul 12, 2007
My first job was blow-job kiss
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by Ndipe(m): 2:32am On Jul 13, 2007
Nna, you gotta start from the bottom, though it took me a while to realize that. Back home, I read of the extremities that Nigerians went through in their quest for a job. I read that some of them were washing corpse. One of the workers narrated to a Nigerian based tabloid, that on his first day at work at a mortuary, he was assigned to wash a corpse. When he saw it, he passed out.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by omoge(f): 2:47am On Jul 13, 2007
shocked
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by soulpatrol(f): 5:31pm On Jul 13, 2007
am i in the twilight zone, eyin people? shocked
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by dblock(m): 12:37pm On Jul 14, 2007
My first and current Job is doing Business Administration at a Hospital in Redcliffe City. I will start getting paid in the coming weeks when I am employed fully.

It's about $280 a Fortnight. I currently get $10 a week in allowances, so it'll be a big boost.

Only problem, is the Boss expects so much from me. She got angry at me, for waiting while the Printer was printing, because she reckons that I should be working at all times.

Although the Pay isn't too Bad, I subconsciously don't want the Job.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by Tats(m): 5:07pm On Jul 14, 2007
First job offer was in technology systems.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by omoge(f): 5:47pm On Jul 14, 2007
dblock lol

that's one thing i observe here they want you to keep on working once you clock in and stop working once you clock out. unless your 30min or 1 hour break.

you never start and your boss don dey act like that shocked hmmmmn long road ahead but it's all good cheesy cuz the money is needed cool
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by anusule(m): 7:55pm On Jul 14, 2007
my job is f**king stressful!!!!!! ny white ass team leader is picky.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by ph4life(m): 8:39pm On Jul 14, 2007
man pikin don work every where for this yankee men; my fellow naija people, if you no get liver to do anything to survive, stay for naija or else you go kolo. some of our people dey drive ice cream truck, 1 of them ic cream truck got blown up by akata people for chicago a while back. but all in all you got to be strong and kep hope alive, you go eventually make am. my 1st job na for japanese restaurant - shogun - i lasted 2 days. life is good now though, after being so patient.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by soulpatrol(f): 9:01pm On Jul 14, 2007
@ph4life. lmao. what made you leave the japanese restaurant? gist us. grin
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by Ndipe(m): 11:16pm On Jul 14, 2007
Nna, it is easy to have a breakdown in yankee. If you don't have the stamina, or you are the "Ajebutta" type, whose parents typically catered to your needs, don't even move to yankee, because, it will be rough with you. Ah, stories of survival in yankee? What makes you think some people resort to doing drugs to survive? I read in a Nigerian paper at Stanford of a guy, who narrated that he had a breakdown in London, and (I think) had to be repatriated to Nigeria. What of being homeless? Thank God I have not been on that path before. That is why, I have a lot to be thankful for, to God Almighty. Bouncing from job to job to job,and sometimes questioning the rationale in coming to America, and all of a sudden, a miracle in the form of a cushy job lands on your feet on a platter of gold. I don't take things for granted, and moreso, my stay in this country has only strengthened my faith in God. When you go through tough times and survive, there is that feeling of appreciation and accomplishment you experience, which you attribute to God.

One of my friends who worked security in California was caught sleeping, and the generator got 'stolen'. Turns out that his boss had sneaked in on him when he was dozing off, and had taken his generator.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by Nobody: 11:21pm On Jul 14, 2007
ph4life:

man pikin don work every where for this yankee men; my fellow naija people, if you no get liver to do anything to survive, stay for naija or else you go kolo. some of our people dey drive ice cream truck, 1 of them ic cream truck got blown up by akata people for chicago a while back. but all in all you got to be strong and kep hope alive, you go eventually make am. my 1st job na for japanese restaurant - shogun - i lasted 2 days. life is good now though, after being so patient.

In my suffer days,I wish I even saw ice cream truck to drive.
At least I for just eat ice cream tire.

At some point I cleaned offices,washed dishes,did home health aide
I even babysat until other peoples kids almost drove me nuts.
This place no easy o.
Thank God for those days,I learnt a lot in humility.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by Nobody: 11:25pm On Jul 14, 2007
The one I would have never done anyway is wash dead bodies.
Instead I for return to naija
I no fit.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by Ndipe(m): 11:30pm On Jul 14, 2007
Nna babyosi, different routes for different folks. I dont think I can wash corpses, but for folks who can do it, then more grease to their elbows. For once, I have been thinking that there should be a community center for Nigerian immigrants in the USA to help them adapt to the USA. I think there is one in Chicago, but I wont be surprised if there are a few in that Houston/Dallas area.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by Nobody: 11:35pm On Jul 14, 2007
The culture shock here is unbelievable.
It's nowwhere as easy as those at home think it is but I thank God that most of us do move on to better things with time.
God is good.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by Ndipe(m): 1:11am On Jul 15, 2007
I used to take three buses to work, when I came here newly. My brother and I had just moved to a different part of town, Cupertino, and I had a job in Menlo Park. Sunnyvale's distance was actually worse. I had to walk, about a mile to the nearest bus stop to head to work. When we moved to Cupertino, my house was very close to the bus stop. I would ride one bus, to Wolfe in Sunnyvale, take the 300 to Palo Alto, and then take SamTrans where it would drop me at the bookstore. Afterwards, I will walk to my job, where I was a temporary worker. How much was the pay? Sincerely, I was living paycheck to paycheck. Hmmm, another instance, when I lost my job, I realized that I had no money in my account. So, by Divine intervention, I read an article in Ebony magazine about unemployment benefits. Turns out that I qualified for it. So, I had to apply, and in order for the funds to be backdated, I had to show proof that I was unaware of it. I explained in court that I read in Ebony magazine about unemployment benefits, and such social benefits were non existent in my country. Later on, I was awarded my money. Honestly, that money, (it wasnt even upto a thousand dollars), but for me, it made a huge difference.

Then, there was this temporary agency that I had signed up with sometime earlier. They could only assign me to various companies for a two to three day assignment. Then, I started bugging them, still, there was nothing available. One of their branches was very close to my residence so without even calling them, I walked to the place to ask them why I was not called for an assignment. I saw one of the workers in the company, but when I got there, he wasnt at his desk. When I inquired of his whereabouts, his coworker(s) informed me that he did not come in that day. It was a lie. He was hiding somewhere to 'escape' from me. I knew that he was in the office, so when I walked back home, I placed a call to their office. Guess who picked up the phone? The same guy, that I was 'tricked' into believing that he hadnt showed up to work that day. It became so frustrating that I questioned the notion of having to fill in those blank boxes, indicating your race, to my friend. My friend agreed with me. I felt if you filled out that you were black, then you wont get the job.

Still, I signed up with another temporary agency, and used to call them, even go into their office, and they had nothing available for me. It got so rough that my bills were just piling up, and my brother, who had always helped me financially was getting married. Mother was flying in from Nigeria for his wedding and here I was, unemployed, and depressed. Miraculously, an agency that I signed up with the day before found me a job at a law firm the following day, and within weeks, I was depositing lump sums of money in my account. The pay was alright, but there was an opportunity to put in long hours (sometimes 14 hours), and I was ready for it. Just weeks before momsie landed, I was financially buyoant, and had moved out of my brother. Momsie was awestruck by what appeared to be my seamless transition in America. Not until later that I narrated to her about the travails that I had been through in the country. I always remember to Thank God that I was not a disappointment/embarrasment to her when she visited, and even moved back home, sometime after the wedding. That was my last time of seeing her alive! God is Wonderful!
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by dblock(m): 4:38am On Jul 15, 2007
Is there such a thing as a good job?

Anyone here, with a Job that isn't stressful?
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by minute(f): 7:50pm On Jul 15, 2007
none at all my bro.

my first job was @ mcdonalds,oh lawd that job no easy at all-tot i was doing that when i got another @jerrys in two different locatns-that makes itt three jobs @ a time,since i was wasnt payn rent where i was stayn,and  my cousin i stayed with already told mii shes only go nna allow me stay for six months with  her,i chose to work like an idiot for that 6months before i moved out-oh no she actuALLLY CALLED the cops on mii,thank God i was smart enough to get a car @a junk yard sale,slept in my car for 4days before i finally moved into my own room.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by soulpatrol(f): 10:18pm On Jul 15, 2007
damn, what was rough. ur cousin is hard o. couldn't she at least get u to pay some of the rent as opposed to kicking u out? that one no be family o. shuuuu! eiya, pele o. life abroad is really crappy, especially the first year when one just lands. one quickly realizes that its not all that its cracked up to be. if naija was stable, wetin man go dey even find for yankee sef? chei! angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Passengers Disrupt Arik’s Services At Lagos Airport / Studying In France. / Five Die As Trailer Crashes Into Commercial Bus In Edo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.