Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,447 members, 7,830,234 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:20 PM

What Was Your First Job Abroad? - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Was Your First Job Abroad? (13250 Views)

First Job Abroad / Job Abroad / Summer Job Abroad Before Nysc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by omoge(f): 1:08am On Aug 23, 2007
lol, better said than never. grin grin
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by Nobody: 1:12am On Aug 23, 2007
I even heard of a woman that carried a pregnancy for 3 years because they used juju to tie it down LOL.
My mom heard a doctor testify of operating a woman and the sac of tumor was filled with nails.
I used to be a doubter until I heard things from my own parents who have no reason to lie to me.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by BABEELOVE(f): 1:13am On Aug 23, 2007
babyosisi:

babeelove don't kid yourself O.
Juju is alive and well in Naija.
I have testimonies of how prayers dealt with some.
Ignorance is no excuse O.

You better step up your prayer and facting before they deal with you grin

Osisi, have you experienced this yourself or is it hearsay like lady omoge is saying?  The fact that we cannot explain things in Nigeria does not mean it is all about "juju".  I have never experience such and maybe because I really think it is just the human imagination.  Okay!  Tell me from your experiences what has happened in Nigeria that has not happened anywhere in the world?  So na juju be that?  Juju=fear of the unknown in Nigeria!

omoge:

lol, better said than never. grin grin

Nothing dey happen jo!  All na rubbish!  Why juju no dey catch oyinbo people?
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by BABEELOVE(f): 1:15am On Aug 23, 2007
babyosisi:

I even heard of a woman that carried a pregnancy for 3 years because they used juju to tie it down LOL.
My mom[b]  heard a doctor testify [/b] of operating a woman and the sac of tumor was filled with nails.
I used to be a doubter until I heard things from my own parents who have no reason to lie to me.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm!  "Hearsay"!!!! which one una don see oh! grin  All these chicken little stories.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by Nobody: 1:17am On Aug 23, 2007
BABEELOVE:

Osisi, have you experienced this yourself or is it hearsay like lady omoge is saying? The fact that we cannot explain things in Nigeria does not mean it is all about "juju". I have never experience such and maybe because I really think it is just the human imagination. Okay! Tell me from your experiences what has happened in Nigeria that has not happened anywhere in the world? So na juju be that? Juju=fear of the unknown in Nigeria!

Nothing dey happen jo! All na rubbish! Why juju no dey catch oyinbo people?

who say juju no dey america.
You never hear of ouiji boards,palmreading,voodoo dolls and co.
Juju is not limited by place.
It is everywhere.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by BABEELOVE(f): 1:20am On Aug 23, 2007
babyosisi:

who say juju no dey america.
You never hear of ouiji boards,palmreading,voodoo dolls and co.
Juju is not limited by place.
It is everywhere.

I agree---the same rubbish---fear of the unknown. Also the inability to understand things that happen without explanation. All na ju ju. I think if you believe, then it will catch you---just like any religion!
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by minute(f): 4:33am On Aug 23, 2007
u babes are cracking me up.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by Nobody: 4:49am On Aug 23, 2007
angry angry angry what kind of stupid topic is this , rubish, job means nothing to me but money,its shld have been tagged what kind of money did u spend in ur first trip abroad for me i spend pounds sterling, unah grin grin ;Dego
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by ST3V3(m): 4:13am On Nov 01, 2007
Ist job was early morning shift in a retail store (winter period). sucks!
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by Ndipe(m): 4:32am On Nov 01, 2007
Abroad is not a bed of roses as some people assume it is back home.

Remember when I worked in retail and I wanted to get another retail job in the same shopping center. Upon learning that I worked for a rival company, I was turned down for the job opportunity. Chei and man-pickin needed money at that time!.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by floyd: 6:03pm On Nov 01, 2007
Interesting posts  grin

Guys, I need to make a decision about whether to do my MBA in the UK (Buckingham) or US (Florida). I have obtained student visas for both countries and wanted to know which is the better option in terms of post-graduation job prospects, and quality of life.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by minute(f): 10:42pm On Nov 01, 2007
dat was funny @ndipe.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by Democrat(m): 3:22pm On Nov 08, 2007
My First Job was at a Bagel Shop. I Learnt a lot there, Wow that was many years ago. Fresh off the Boat, I did not even know what Bagels were, and i was Baking them for a living. America is truly a Great Place. Great Memories!!
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by kilasos(f): 4:01pm On Nov 09, 2007
my first jobwas in Burger King,
Put me off eating beef burgers for life grin
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by nkenwanyi: 11:35pm On Nov 13, 2007
My people, i don read all una posts but i think say na my own worse pass. I'm a few months old in UK and I registered with one yeye agency after I don find work tire. Na food processing they carry me go. Cold wan finish una home girl and I have to stand for 8hrs packing the f**king sausages. I thank God say I pay my fees before I arrive UK, if not how person for take manage. Anybody planning to come to UK to study should make sure he/she has enough money for fees and accommodation, otherwise you'll get urself into one big mess. I for dey naija dey do my bank work jejely but I know say I go everly survive for this land. It's the end that justifies the means.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by funweez(f): 9:44pm On Apr 06, 2008
OMG, listenin to you guys has so cracked me up smiley. But seriously,i admire ur stories(d true ones sha, hav a feelin som r exaggerated shocked) and guts so much, it just makes me more appreciative of what i have. Iv obviously been livin d easy life and i think Nigerians can be so resilient.
My first job was wit an agency but it was fun kainda,got 2visit Ascot,wembley shows n stuff; in a way it was a good introduction 2british workin life but i must say my first few days were hellish; d standing was aaarrhhg!!! angry angry. luckily,didnt spend more than 2months n moved on 2beta things n im still not where i want to be but far from where i was.

God bless us all. smiley
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by Cadet(f): 9:47pm On Apr 06, 2008
a 4th grade student tongue
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by silentc(m): 3:10pm On Apr 07, 2008
My first job in the UK was with a retail store ........
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by Lady2(f): 12:55am On Apr 08, 2008
i was a cashier at winn-dixie, a grocery store.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by lucabrasi(m): 2:13am On Apr 08, 2008
i v never worked since i got here and not sure i will till i leave, but guess my only job is being a student and son of my dad which i get paid for lol
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by stkris(m): 2:37am On Apr 08, 2008
lucabrasi:

i v never worked since i got here and not sure i will till i leave, but guess my only job is being a student and son of my dad which i get paid for lol

dude ,if u'r anything 20 years n above . . trust me when i say ur dad will shake his head if he sees ur statement. a friendly advice bro: be ur own man.

@topic
i was a sales associate at officemax ( office equipment retail) smiley
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by lucabrasi(m): 2:54am On Apr 08, 2008
st-kris:

dude ,if u'r anything 20 years n above . . trust me when i say your dad will shake his head if he sees your statement. a friendly advice bro: be your own man.

@topic
i was a sales associate at officemax ( office equipment retail) smiley

why would my dad shake his head because i havnt worked,i am above 20 yrs and i just dont see the point in putting myself through these kind of works if i dont need to,GOD knows that i feel for all the people on here and their experiences and it has made me appreciate the kind of opportunity i have, and im sure if many people on here had all they tution feeding and everything sorted and got allowances they will not put themselves through the work they v done as well,i dont shove it in people's faces just making my own contributions,and my father cant shake his head because i will do some regular work with him or somewhere else when i move back to nigeria in2/3 years.its the same thing abi.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by stkris(m): 4:30am On Apr 08, 2008
@lucabrasi
haa, u'r funny. 1st of all i dont mean to sound like a pompous freak or somtn but i can confidently say at anytime that i come from a well to do, or to be

more arrogant a "rich" family like many other people on this thread who hv shared thier 1st job experiences. trust me when i say i can 'afford' to sit my ass

on a lazy boy n watch tv all day 4 d rest of my life , but what does that make me . definitely not every1 on here got a job cuz we 'had to' or 'needed to' to survive. its something called maturity n self responsibility that set in. but i guess u wont know notn bout dat huh . theres a huge difference between money handed out to you, and money earned. your pops worked for his dough, so do d same n hv a voice o' ur own

i dont mean to pick on u or tell u how to live, its just my opinion. n wit an italian gangsta name like 'lucabrasi' we dont xpect u 2 be a 'daddys boy' grin
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by lucabrasi(m): 4:41am On Apr 08, 2008
fair enough,but you dont get what im saying though right now im studying and lets face it its easier to face your studies full time if you can afford it than working and studying at the same time, i personally cannot and i was left to make a choice if i wanted to work or not,that is why i said that i will be working in nigeria once im finished here to show that its not like ill be chilling out doing nothing, if i wanted to i could as well but like you said its not responsible and thats just plain lazy,i just believe in putting stuffs in the right perspective i.e in my own case anyway,theres always a time for everything.
dude forget about that old mantra of money worked for and money earned, i appreciate my parents a lot for the help and i do my bit anytime in nigeria ill give you an idea of what i do for charity on my fb if u r on there,and i have no hang ups about getting financial help from my dad and i wouldnt change that for the world, if you have an option of not working whille you are studying and you are then im sure you have a very good reason to which is known to you but as for me, ill rather go from my class to the library and then back home to ait in that cold winter than subjecting myself to working when i really dont need to ,so as to prove a point , parnts are diffrent and mine have diffrent ways of judging responsibility smiley
dude,my gangster name s just a facade, sorta like the harder outer shell of chocolate and a soft inside
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by Lady2(f): 6:02am On Apr 08, 2008
why would my dad shake his head because i havnt worked,i am above 20 years and i just don't see the point in putting myself through these kind of works if i don't need to,GOD knows that i feel for all the people on here and their experiences and it has made me appreciate the kind of opportunity i have, and im sure if many people on here had all they tution feeding and everything sorted and got allowances they will not put themselves through the work they v done as well,i don't shove it in people's faces just making my own contributions,and my father can't shake his head because i will do some regular work with him or somewhere else when i move back to nigeria in2/3 years.its the same thing abi.

Well I didn't exactly have to work, but I wanted to be more disciplined and learn responsibility. When my mum saw I could take care of myself she stopped sending me money, but now she tries to give me money and I refuse sometimes (I accept because she told me I'm being disrespectful when I refuse )
It also gives me experience.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by lucabrasi(m): 12:04pm On Apr 08, 2008
~Lady~:

Well I didn't exactly have to work, but I wanted to be more disciplined and learn responsibility. When my mum saw I could take care of myself she stopped sending me money, but now she tries to give me money and I refuse sometimes (I accept because she told me I'm being disrespectful when I refuse )
It also gives me experience.

well then maybe i should correct myself and say for those who are working and schooling,i realli respect them but i will not do it simply to be disciplined and responsible,neither do i have a point to prove to my parents,i realli commend you for doing that and im sure you r prolly better for it but if you check my last reply i show my own sense of responsibility in a diffrent way and on these freezing winter days/nights ill rather go to the library from lectures and home than putting myself through some employment,im not knocking people working neither am i coming across as snug just something i cant do because i feel like i realli dont need to as i can engage my mind in something else and its too stressful for me, i v got at the most 3 years left and then going back to work in nigeria
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by anusule(m): 3:22pm On Apr 08, 2008
lucabrasi:

well then maybe i should correct myself and say for those who are working and schooling,i realli respect them but i will not do it simply to be disciplined and responsible,neither do i have a point to prove to my parents,i realli commend you for doing that and im sure you r prolly better for it but if you check my last reply i show my own sense of responsibility in a diffrent way and on these freezing winter days/nights ill rather go to the library from lectures and home than putting myself through some employment,im not knocking people working neither am i coming across as snug just something i can't do because i feel like i realli don't need to as i can engage my mind in something else and its too stressful for me, i v got at the most 3 years left and then going back to work in nigeria

dont be a lazy lad, work, even if you are sure of work in nigeria, work now and spend YOUR OWN MONEY! dont be a daddy's pet, daddy, i want to buy phone, daddy i want to buy credit, daddy i want to buy bus pass, grin
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by anusule(m): 3:23pm On Apr 08, 2008
abi na only you dey read for library? shocked , dats why we are in the uk, work and study. cheesy
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by lucabrasi(m): 5:11pm On Apr 08, 2008
anusule:

don't be a lazy lad, work, even if you are sure of work in nigeria, work now and spend YOUR OWN MONEY! don't be a daddy's pet, daddy, i want to buy phone, daddy i want to buy credit, daddy i want to buy bus pass, grin

lol,i dont collect like that i collect in bulk, lazy ke inside cold of 5/6 degrees abeg o let me be lazy my brother, we will all finish our studies sucessfully by GOD'S grace and return to nigeria thats when we will all work,for now let me be daddy's pet.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by Lady2(f): 5:21pm On Apr 08, 2008
well then maybe i should correct myself and say for those who are working and schooling,i realli respect them but i will not do it simply to be disciplined and responsible,neither do i have a point to prove to my parents,i realli commend you for doing that and im sure you r prolly better for it but if you check my last reply i show my own sense of responsibility in a diffrent way and on these freezing winter days/nights ill rather go to the library from lectures and home than putting myself through some employment,im not knocking people working neither am i coming across as snug just something i can't do because i feel like i realli don't need to as i can engage my mind in something else and its too stressful for me, i v got at the most 3 years left and then going back to work in nigeria

Haha, you're worried about cold. Na oly Uk cold dey? lol

I understand where you're coming from. But seriously lad going to the library cannot be compared to that of work. Those who work don't they go to the library too. Infact they have less time to spare.
My day begins at 6am and ends at 3am.
I go to school full-time, I have two jobs, one full-time, and one part-time. I don't go to the library. I have all the resources I need, except in cases where I have to meet up with teammates from classes.

Fine if you don't want to work at least get involved in organisations to gain leadership experience, trust me you will learn to work with people well and eventually learn to manage others. That's a skill your dad will be grateful for. It's one thing to learn from a book, it's another to learn from experience.
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by lucabrasi(m): 8:09pm On Apr 08, 2008
~Lady~:

Haha, you're worried about cold. Na oly Uk cold dey? lol

I understand where you're coming from. But seriously lad going to the library cannot be compared to that of work. Those who work don't they go to the library too. Infact they have less time to spare.
My day begins at 6am and ends at 3am.
I go to school full-time, I have two jobs, one full-time, and one part-time. I don't go to the library. I have all the resources I need, except in cases where I have to meet up with teammates from classes.

Fine if you don't want to work at least get involved in organisations to gain leadership experience, trust me you will learn to work with people well and eventually learn to manage others. That's a skill your dad will be grateful for. It's one thing to learn from a book, it's another to learn from experience.

wow 6am-3am? two jobs?my sister pls nigeria needs you as soon as you r done with your studies
guess your right with the last parahraph as i was looking to do just that soon as summer sets it because it will tie in with some programmes i have going in nigeria,having said that i think experience can be gained anywhere either here or in nigeria,if you mean me gaining something from my sojourn abroad then an education is enough experience plus living on my own and sorting myself out without working
Re: What Was Your First Job Abroad? by babaowambe: 10:23pm On Jul 23, 2008
worked and i still work (7 years)in a big retail store 2weeks after arriving in euro land god will give job to the jobless andthose with jobs god will uplift more and more

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Passengers Disrupt Arik’s Services At Lagos Airport / Studying In France. / Five Die As Trailer Crashes Into Commercial Bus In Edo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.