Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,025 members, 7,818,027 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:22 AM

Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw (65115 Views)

How Do I Change My Seat On Qatar Airways? / Nurse Who Visited Nigeria Over 35 Years Ago Moves Man To Tears In UK. Photos / Train Crushes Man To Death In Ikeja (Graphic Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Venerable612(m): 2:25pm On Jun 24, 2019
The fact that everyone on the front page seems to think the guy is right - shows that something is fundamentally wrong with this generation.

In Yoruba land. There is no such thing as Rights when an Elder is involved; Unless it works injustice. But it doesn’t worth a thing to allow the old man after pleas from people in the flight. Give honour to whole honour is due. If not for old age - but for his reputation. Everything goes round in this world.

I think he is just a proud person.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Dredgemaster(m): 2:26pm On Jun 24, 2019
Why would you sit on someone else's seat to begin with ?

4 Likes

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Boboye4slim(m): 2:26pm On Jun 24, 2019
Realdeals:
I don't know why people feel entitled when there are rules and regulations. These kind of actions are what brought Nigeria to where we are.

Jesus christ. Fear God o. Entitled how? He said there, the boy came and demand his seat, and the prof promptly stood up, what else do you want him to do. He didnt argue, he didnt complain, didnt say a word. He stood up and get on another seat! Wheres the entitlement here??
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Pwansunrise: 2:26pm On Jun 24, 2019
All I see here is a young man who fight for his right and an elder who has an entitlement mentality because of his reputation and age.

2 Likes

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Mocok7: 2:26pm On Jun 24, 2019
Jayslicky:
The man didn't disrespect Soyinka he was only fighting for his right, the seat was assigned to him and it's normal for soyinka to seat elsewhere, if it was me I would have let Soyinka have the seat but not everyone is the same, he had a choice and he chose what's best for himself.

I pity this generation that thinks they are wiser than God Almighty.

"Show respect to the aged; honor the presence of an elder; fear your God. I am God. (Leviticus 19:32 MSG)

A young man that fears God will never do that.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by bong4(m): 2:27pm On Jun 24, 2019
Jayslicky:
The man didn't disrespect Soyinka he was only fighting for his right, the seat was assigned to him and it's normal for soyinka to seat elsewhere, if it was me I would have let Soyinka have the seat but not everyone is the same, he had a choice and he chose what's best for himself.

I believe Prof was actually teaching us lessons on not holding on to what is not yours. Rather than condemning the young man's approach, i feel Tonye and the the others should concern themselves with learning a thing or two from Prof's humility when being corrected.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Tmemzi: 2:27pm On Jun 24, 2019
God bless you my brother
AnanseK:
It not only right but very respectful to sit where you are allocated. Soyinka should have requested for a widow seat, if that’s what he wanted, in order maintain his respect.

1 Like

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Boboye4slim(m): 2:28pm On Jun 24, 2019
Tmemzi:
You are very stupid for spewing this thrash. He should have requested.for his own window seat when purchasing his ticket!!!!!

Why r u so aggressive. The man stood up immediately. He stood up, didnt argue, didnt complain, didnt even plead to remain there, he stood up promptly!! Why the anger

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Uvuru: 2:30pm On Jun 24, 2019
Woke Soyinka has lost my respect for a long time. I will do more than that.
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Realdeals(m): 2:31pm On Jun 24, 2019
Boboye4slim:

Jesus christ. Fear God o. Entitled how? He said there, the boy came and demand his seat, and the prof promptly stood up, what else do you want him to do. He didnt argue, he didnt complain, didnt say a word. He stood up and get on another seat! Wheres the entitlement here??

The narrator instigate some of the responses, one could sense the mission of his post is to bash the guy.
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by grandstar(m): 2:31pm On Jun 24, 2019
In the early 2000's, I was in a cyber cafe in Ikeja when a white woman stormed out seething with rage. I remember her saying, "Thanks for telling me to get off your seat!".

The young man she said this to seemed a bit confused and embarrassed. It was so obvious from the expression on his face that he went against his better judgement when he asked the lady to stand up. He must have hesitated before he approached.

When I was in Unilag in my first year, I told a lady most likely in her final years that she's seating in my chair. She gave me the most disarming smile I had ever seen and I began to blush. I instead chose to seat beside her and we became chummy. I actually went against my better judgement when I asked her to leave my seat.

If Wole Soyinka had simply apologized to the young man profusely and gotten up, how would the young man have felt deep down?

1 Like

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Boboye4slim(m): 2:32pm On Jun 24, 2019
NnwachukuOkike:
The young man simply obeyed the rules of the airlines. Who assigned Soyinka to that seat in the place?

If not that Nigeria is zoo, Mr Soyinka ought to had sat in where he was assigned to sit.

What hypothetical Nigerians political sycophants ought to have asked is "WAS MR SOYINKA ASSIGNED TO THE SEAT BY THE AIRLINES?"

LAWLESS NIGERIAN ELDERS.

What a sensible reader of the story shouldve asked before blaming the old man for being entitled is "did the prof not stood up when the boy demand for his seat?" The writer said he stood up. Whatelse do you want him to do? Not like he was arguing and claiming that he has right to the seat because of his status or old age. He simply stood up for the boy and vet another seat
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by maxzzo1(m): 2:32pm On Jun 24, 2019
NnwachukuOkike:
The young man simply obeyed the rules of the airlines. Who assigned Soyinka to that seat in the place?

If not that Nigeria is zoo, Mr Soyinka ought to had sat in where he was assigned to sit.

What hypothetical Nigerians political sycophants ought to have asked is "WAS MR SOYINKA ASSIGNED TO THE SEAT BY THE AIRLINES?"

LAWLESS NIGERIAN ELDERS.
Na all this elders spoil this country simple rules they can't keep Wetin dey vex me na Tonye Cole wen wan be governor tnk God him fail na so him go dey disrespect n dey bully people chai

2 Likes

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Aystarz: 2:32pm On Jun 24, 2019
generationz:
I'm sure if Soyinka had nicely asked the man would have allowed him

When an elder lacks respect for his grey hairs he would be disgraced one day

Its like putting your hands into the plate of food of a child and taking his only meat because you are an agbalagba

Its called stealing

"Ki la n f'agba se? A fi n re omode je ni", goes a stupid popular Yoruba proverb which shameless elders in Yoruba land employ whenever they want to steal from a child. Boy! How I hated any adult who spilled that nonsense whilst growing up. By the way, it means "What do we do with adulthood? We use it to cheat the child"

Imagine the shiit!

3 Likes

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by CrystalMax: 2:33pm On Jun 24, 2019
Emotions and sentiments is all I see here. As long as the young man asked for his seat politely, he is not wrong in my opinion.

People should stop using being an elder/a cleric/a celebrity as an excuse for aberration.

We should learn to do what's right irrespective of our status.

3 Likes

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Boboye4slim(m): 2:33pm On Jun 24, 2019
quote author=NnwachukuOkike post=79627406]The young man simply obeyed the rules of the airlines. Who assigned Soyinka to that seat in the place?

LAWLESS NIGERIAN ELDERS.[/quote]

What a sensible reader of the story shouldve asked before blaming the old man for being entitled is "did the prof not stood up when the boy demand for his seat?" The writer said he stood up. Whatelse do you want him to do? Not like he was arguing and claiming that he has right to the seat because of his status or old age. He simply stood up for the boy and vet another seat
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Boboye4slim(m): 2:36pm On Jun 24, 2019
Realdeals:

The narrator instigate some of the responses, one could sense the mission of his post is to bash the guy.

Yes i know! Blame it on the writer not the old man. All i see here is these people blaming this man for being entitled which wasn't the case. He simply stood to get another seat for himself.
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Joshrob(m): 2:36pm On Jun 24, 2019
Jayslicky:

Don't mind them. It's this same respect that has put us where we are today. You will see an elderly person something bad, you won't be able to correct them because they will see it as insult.. We youth need to take over

1 Like

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by chibjohn(m): 2:36pm On Jun 24, 2019
I don't see any disrespect there if he asked him politely to leave his assigned seat. It is his assigned seat and has the right to seat there.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Visa To Mauritius / UK: Changes To Visa, Immigration Rules Effective October 1 / Herbert Macaulay Road, Yaba Has Pedestrian Bridges That Nobody Uses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.