Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,970 members, 7,817,847 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:08 PM

Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw (65112 Views)

How Do I Change My Seat On Qatar Airways? / Nurse Who Visited Nigeria Over 35 Years Ago Moves Man To Tears In UK. Photos / Train Crushes Man To Death In Ikeja (Graphic Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Billzcee: 2:36pm On Jun 24, 2019
Muttee:
Business executive, Tonye Cole narrated an incident he witnessed on a plane between renowned writer Wole Soyinka and a Nigerian man.

Tonye Cole said Mr Wole Soyinka got on the plane and took the window seat. When the young man assigned the seat boarded, he insisted Mr Soyinka leaves his seat. Others on the plane, including the crew members, begged the young man to let the Nobel Laureate have his seat. But the man insisted on sitting where he was assigned.

Mr Cole said this is an indication that our value system has been eroded and youths no longer have repect for elders. Ms Mo Abudu and Kate Henshaw commented, agreeing with him that the young man's behaviour was unacceptable.

https://all-gists..com/2019/06/unusual-encounter-between-soyinka-and-a-plane-passenger-tony-cole-others-reacts.html

I would do the same if it was I....just that simple
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by livebyday(m): 2:37pm On Jun 24, 2019
Babalegba:
Oh well, I lived in the UK for over twenty five years and my best friend there is ibo. He was in huge financial trouble at one time and that month when I got my monthly salary I simply withdrew all the money and gave it to him.Only somebody who has worked abroad would truly understand the sacrifice that entailed. It was only when I got back to Nigeria that I saw that ibos are Ferengis in nature and uncultured.There is no big deal in giving up a window seat, you are going to fall asleep after eating anyway.
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Joshrob(m): 2:37pm On Jun 24, 2019
niyisky:
The young man simply fought for his right. Imagine if we all forget cultural and religious difference and fight for what is our right, the world will be a better place.

I swear this respect of a thing is what is killing our country.. Someone can't correct an elderly person. Rubbish

3 Likes

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Nobody: 2:37pm On Jun 24, 2019
This has been a trending topic on quora for some years now, and I have tried to see it from different angles both from the side of the seat stealer and the owner being displaced. Now for some reason a person might want to change seats and be comfortable but no one owes it to you to give up their seat for you,even the original owner of the seat deserves to be comfortable too dont you think?

Those reacting are too sentimental, if you want a seat then pay for it,if you have a medical condition that would warrant you changing your seat ,relay it to the hostess and see if they can help you out ,sometimes they even end up upgrading someone just to make you comfortable.

A person with true character would have waited for the plane to be full and approach the owner of the seat or approach the hostess but stealing a seat in the owner's absence because you feel your white hair will bully the person into giving up their seat for you is nothing but entitlement.

2 Likes

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Born2Breed(f): 2:38pm On Jun 24, 2019
Silly hypocrites everywhere.

Forget age, Soyinka erred.

Is that your seat?

2 Likes

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Buffalo2(m): 2:39pm On Jun 24, 2019
When the Government of a nation wakes up and cancels "HISTORY" as a subject in the schools' curricula, all these are bound to happen and very soon such a "Nation" will become HISTORY.
And to the young lad that thinks life is all about muscle and tattoo, continue.
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Texasbound190: 2:41pm On Jun 24, 2019
If it were the young man thar sat on Wole Soyinkas seat would Soyinka have pardoned him as well, what we cant do outside the shores of thus country we condone here.Can Soyinka himself accept that nonsense

1 Like

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by XX01(f): 2:42pm On Jun 24, 2019
These ones will be acting like mini gods in Nigeria. Once they go abroad, they will follow everyone and pick up their plates and clean their eating areas in McDonald. If e pain WS, he should buy all the seats on the plane. Mtscheew.

I really can't stand this entitlement mentality, whether you're old or "powerful". I can be stubborn and i would have done same.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Nobody: 2:42pm On Jun 24, 2019
Boboye4slim:

What's the meaning of this mindset you have. I am a Nigerian from the Yoruba tribe. Take your tribal fight elsewhere, ibo hausa yoruba...we are all human beings.

The whole scenario shows stinks saw an empty seat closer to the window, probably thinks no one would seat there ( as it happens oftentime, cuz not all seat gets occupied at the end.) And when it happens that the owner came and demand his seat, the prof humbly stood up and leave the seat for him. What else do you want him to do?? Is soyinka the one that brought the news on nairaland? Did soyinka refuse to stand up? What with the Yoruba comments ? Life no hard like that my brother. You wouldnt know if anything went down at the airport if these people didnt post it here. I blamed the blogger. Soyinka no cry say na must nau

Don't blame the blogger. Blame Lord lugard for joining me and you in this rubbish called a country. That an old man don't know what is right or wrong or as a professor he can't count numbers again.

Imagine step by step you defending soyinka ,guess because he is a Yoruba man and at the end blaming bloggers....naaa blame Lord lugard for what he created and call it a country.

Very pathetic and appalling analysis.....no wonder nothing works because every action as far as it concerns your people is right.
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by SojiCash(m): 2:43pm On Jun 24, 2019
That young man that fraternity boy � hahaha

Who no come no go know
Who no come no go know
Wetin I see
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Nobody: 2:43pm On Jun 24, 2019
Mr Cole said this is an indication that our value system has been eroded and youths no longer have repect for elders. Ms Mo Abudu and Kate Henshaw commented, agreeing with him that the young man's behaviour was unacceptable.
What kind of stupid talk is this? We pay for the same air ticket, does that give you the audacity to use cheap blackmail ,Would you try this in other countries?

6 Likes

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Nobody: 2:43pm On Jun 24, 2019
Born2Breed:
Is that your seat?

My sister, I wonder ooo
Something very easy to understand.

1 Like

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Jwonder(m): 2:44pm On Jun 24, 2019
Babalegba:
Oh well, I lived in the UK for over twenty five years and my best friend there is ibo. He was in huge financial trouble at one time and that month when I got my monthly salary I simply withdrew all the money and gave it to him.Only somebody who has worked abroad would truly understand the sacrifice that entailed. It was only when I got back to Nigeria that I saw that ibos are Ferengis in nature and uncultured.There is no big deal in giving up a window seat, you are going to fall asleep after eating anyway.
Damm your lies are marvelous! You must be a Yahoo boy, and please stop deceiving yourself, from your words it shows you've never left the shores of the this country, because someone enlightened will know you don't judge a whole because of the actions of few people.. and for the record we igbo's don't care about your opinion, we don't care if you like us or not, it doesn't change our prosperous nature.
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by oduz: 2:44pm On Jun 24, 2019
Frequent flyers would be familiar with the fact that aircrafts are not always filled, some passengers take advantage of this to find a more convenient seat than what is given until somebody lay claim to it ....
What should follow is to promptly vacate it for the right ful owner, which from the narration of the eye witness is what Soyinka did. .....
Respect for elders is not mere sacrifice of ones rights/privileges, but reconition that the aged are vulnerable ....
The elderly man in a bid to continue his reading may require more light than average ...

1 Like

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Mocok7: 2:45pm On Jun 24, 2019
Born2Breed:

Is that your seat?

"Show respect to the aged; honor the presence of an elder; fear your God. I am God. (Leviticus 19:32 MSG)

A young man that fears God will never do that.
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Nobody: 2:47pm On Jun 24, 2019
hisexcellency34:
Flights seats are number. Prof. Soyinka should have requested for a seat by the window when booking the flight. The young man just insisted on his fundamental rights but i think he should have reasoned with those who pleaded with him and let the old man be.

The guy must be a true blooded Igbo guy. We are not asslickers. We know our rights and stand by it
If the man had allowed it,it will become a norm what he did was the best
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by IjebuAssasin: 2:50pm On Jun 24, 2019
highcollide:
Yorubastard. Actually, there is no concrete evidence that the igbos are cursed. But there are lots of evidences that the yoruba nation is cursed. Alaafin aole cursed the yoruba nation before he died. He swore that the yoruba nation would be slaves and they will be sold all over the world. Sango cursed the yoruba nation. Keep opening your dirty ewedu munching mouth while I teach you your history.

Despite the fact that I didn't mention any tribe by name, dem sabi themselves wella! Good job, bro. grin

Keep it up! cool
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Boss13: 2:50pm On Jun 24, 2019
Contrary to the report, I think Wole Soyinka should know better as he has been on the fore front fighting inequality and injustice. He was sitting on someone’s else seat which he shouldn’t have in the first place. If I was Soyinka I won’t take it dear to heart and even start up a conversation with the young chap because it’s wrong to sit on someone’s else seat.

Now this young chap would face unnecessary backlash if only Soyinka had done the right thing. I think it’s quite unfair to the boy who maybe under emotional trauma for doing what is consider civil. People should learn to respect themselves please - elderly or not; famous or not; rich or not.

1 Like

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by lagosinnovator: 2:50pm On Jun 24, 2019
Am waiting for those miserable forecasters to tell me what will happen to the young man. just as some people see themselves as slaves to some people. i will not disrespect anyone to get my right.
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by BluntBoy(m): 2:51pm On Jun 24, 2019
hisexcellency34:
Flights seats are number. Prof. Soyinka should have requested for a seat by the window when booking the flight. The young man just insisted on his fundamental rights but i think he should have reasoned with those who pleaded with him and let the old man be.

The guy must be a true blooded Igbo guy. We are not asslickers. We know our rights and stand by it

Where is the asslicking here? Until the white man brought his colonialism, elders were accorded huge respect in Nigeria, even in your Igboland. There are many proverbs to that effect.

There is no asslicking here. Any Nigerian that is well brought up would have been shocked even if the elderly person was a nobody.

There is no asslicking here. I would have gladly forfeited my seat for any elderly person whether they are Soyinka or not. It is just my upbringing.
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by livebyday(m): 2:52pm On Jun 24, 2019
Juliusmalema:

You fears are more than your worries.

?
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by flington4550(m): 2:54pm On Jun 24, 2019
princechurchill:
Why should Soyinka disobey the flight rules?
My niggas don come
We die here

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by fresherdanU: 2:54pm On Jun 24, 2019
IF ITS UR PASTOR IN CHURCH, I'M SURE U ARE ONE OF THE PEOPLE THAT WILL GIVE TO CEASAR WHAT BELONGS TO CEASAR
DrRasheed:
It is only rude if he said without manners.
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by fekolastic(m): 2:55pm On Jun 24, 2019
Really an ill mannered person to say this

booscy:
Soyinka as a Cultist in his school days did worse.

Stand for what is yours, dont let this so called elders that wasted their generation and encroached into ours intimidate you.

Seat isn't his, will a responsible elder take what isn't rightfully his?

I have no respect for an elderly thief, let alone one whose ideas and actions created a monster called cultism which still causes pain and loss till date.

Soyinka is of no value Abegi.

Who will he take his complain to? Shebi he be atheist.

Karma na confirm BITCH

1 Like

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by IjebuAssasin: 2:56pm On Jun 24, 2019
There's what's known as universal morals. This has nothing to do with culture, ethics traditions etc... it's just a norm among humans.

Even in the U.S, there's what's called 'Senior's Privilege'... old pple are referred to as Seniors. You let them have their way as in how many more years do rhey have to live anyway... that's the way the society views it.

But of course we have those good for nothing chest beaters claiming some nonsense rights over nothing.

Cowards till thy Kingdom come! angry
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Born2Breed(f): 2:56pm On Jun 24, 2019
Mocok7:

"Show respect to the aged; honor the presence of an elder; fear your God. I am God. (Leviticus 19:32 MSG)

A young man that fears God will never do that.

“Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger” (Ephesians 6:4)

An elder that respects himself,will never break rules.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Awka Flyovers Illuminating At Night / Visa To Mauritius / UK: Changes To Visa, Immigration Rules Effective October 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.