Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,040 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:21 AM

Accept This Job Offer Or Continue Job Hunting??? - Jobs/Vacancies (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Accept This Job Offer Or Continue Job Hunting??? (36137 Views)

Will You Accept This Job Offer Or Turn It Down To Travel Abroad / What Should I Do? Learn A Skill Or Continue Job Hunting / Some Fun While Job Hunting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Accept This Job Offer Or Continue Job Hunting??? by Stefaniebo(f): 4:08pm On Oct 02, 2019
please don't accept that job. people, family members may laugh at you but don't be bothered. you know what you want and what you worth. please it might take long to see that better job but trust me one day luck will shine on you. you might even be doing a business that will surpass that job. am talking from experience. to cut the long story short. early last year. I was offered a job of 35k and I was so broke but somehow I didn't accept the job. I started selling on Jumia. little by little I was seeing small small change to support me. I was still applying for jobs. in fact I went for an interview 4times in a particular company. today am employed with a reasonable pay more than 5times the money with extra backyard online business.

7 Likes

Re: Accept This Job Offer Or Continue Job Hunting??? by Chuksmonika(m): 4:09pm On Oct 02, 2019
Ghostty:
Hello All.

I have been visiting this site as a guest for 2years, but today I had to sign up as a member. I do not intend to write so much, so permit me to go straight to the point.

I graduated in 2017 from one of the federal university in the South and finished my NYSC last year April. Ever since I have been hunting for jobs so to keep body and soul, I have written hundreds of job exams and attended several interviews but none has yielded any positive result yet.

Last month a friend of mine whose Uncle works in a Chinese Steel Production Company told me about an opening in the Marketing department of the company, he told me they were recruiting for the role of a Purchaser and a Sales Executive and advised that I should go submit my CV for consideration.

I did as advised and the following day I was called for a test. On getting there, I met three(3) other guys who also came for the same purpose. The Chinese HR guy came and administered the test and afterwards only two of us passed and were asked to come back the next day for the oral interview.

The next day I went for the interview and after being drilled and asked several questions I was offered the job. But my zeal and interest for the Job died the moment I was told the job conditions and pay.

Working hours are from 7am to 6pm daily, Monday to Saturday including public holidays. All these for a monthly pay of 35k

I was given the offer letter to take home to sign if I agree with the conditions and return it this coming Monday to resume work.

My fellow Nairalanders, would you advise that I take this job offer considering the conditions attached or reject it and continue job hunting hoping that one day favour would smile on me I am confused, please help a brother cry

Please help a brother push this to FP so I can get all the advice I need as much as possible. Thank you.
there is nothing to be confused about,I normally give people the same advice i will give to myself,and my loved ones....this is the time for you to use your number 6,do a calculation of all your expenditure,from transportation to your work place,tro and fro for the month,and other expenses,and see how much will be left for you to save...if transportation consumes a large chunk of the money,my brother leave the job,that same God that brought this one to you,will bring another,i dont advice people to work for nothing(under-employment),is not a matter of keeping yourself busy that will make you accept any job
Re: Accept This Job Offer Or Continue Job Hunting??? by Vikynas: 4:13pm On Oct 02, 2019
Rastamann:

If he accepts the offer, what time will he have to hunt for other jobs?
maybe he will turn nightwalker?
Re: Accept This Job Offer Or Continue Job Hunting??? by OmoEpe(m): 4:21pm On Oct 02, 2019
The bible enjoins us to do whatever your hands findeth to do with all your might. By all means take it at least to prove your faithfulness over something small to God, this is the qualifier for bigger things

Also marketing and purchase comes with extensive human relationships which carries with it unfathomable values.

Please son, by all means do it, the road to success is built on seemingly insignificant past
Don't give ears to the do nothing gang.

May God order your steps aright

SELAH

1 Like

Re: Accept This Job Offer Or Continue Job Hunting??? by TGM2015: 4:21pm On Oct 02, 2019
Ghostty:
Hello All.

I have been visiting this site as a guest for 2years, but today I had to sign up as a member. I do not intend to write so much, so permit me to go straight to the point.

I graduated in 2017 from one of the federal university in the South and finished my NYSC last year April. Ever since I have been hunting for jobs so to keep body and soul, I have written hundreds of job exams and attended several interviews but none has yielded any positive result yet.

Last month a friend of mine whose Uncle works in a Chinese Steel Production Company told me about an opening in the Marketing department of the company, he told me they were recruiting for the role of a Purchaser and a Sales Executive and advised that I should go submit my CV for consideration.

I did as advised and the following day I was called for a test. On getting there, I met three(3) other guys who also came for the same purpose. The Chinese HR guy came and administered the test and afterwards only two of us passed and were asked to come back the next day for the oral interview.

The next day I went for the interview and after being drilled and asked several questions I was offered the job. But my zeal and interest for the Job died the moment I was told the job conditions and pay.

Working hours are from 7am to 6pm daily, Monday to Saturday including public holidays. All these for a monthly pay of 35k

I was given the offer letter to take home to sign if I agree with the conditions and return it this coming Monday to resume work.

My fellow Nairalanders, would you advise that I take this job offer considering the conditions attached or reject it and continue job hunting hoping that one day favour would smile on me I am confused, please help a brother cry

Please help a brother push this to FP so I can get all the advice I need as much as possible. Thank you.
First thing, what is your career path? Do care to become a marketer? Do you have the skills for marketing and can cope with the stress? You see, the first thing to consider is your skills and passion for the job.

On the monthly pay, it is nothing to worry about as your first official job. It will expose you to the marketing experience. In simple terms, you can accept with the notion that you receive stipend in order to gather experiences. One good thing about marketing is that you can easily get more better job, when you master the act and God favors you. You can use your marketing time to look for better job and attend interviews.

But if you have a totally different career path, please do not accept the offer.

2 Likes

Re: Accept This Job Offer Or Continue Job Hunting??? by Anasko(m): 4:24pm On Oct 02, 2019
And some haters here are critisizing Npower volunteers on a stipend of 30k

1 Like

Re: Accept This Job Offer Or Continue Job Hunting??? by credibleVal(m): 4:25pm On Oct 02, 2019
Its so unfortunate that this is were we have found ourselves as a country.
This is so common with Companies managed by Chinese, Lebanese and India nationals. However, there is an adage that says "He who wears the shoes, knows where it pinches". I would advise you do a plus and minus of ur daily expenses and see how far the balance can take you. If you are ok with it for now, then go ahead while you also continue your search. If you are not ok with the balance, then let it go while u continue your job hunt and trusting on God. Which ever way, Goodluck is what I wish you. But u still young for the Labour market o.� uote author=Ghostty post=82768956]Hello All.

[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Accept This Job Offer Or Continue Job Hunting??? by Gudlite: 4:27pm On Oct 02, 2019
This is slavery, when will you have time to hunt for another job?If you are Portharcourt , Umuahaia,Aba or Awka,
I want to introduce you to Neolife.Where you will be your own boss and work at your own time and also do anything you can with ease
Salary is the MEDICINE to MANAGE POVERTY, it doesn't cure it, I had a Job close to that for over 5years, I had nothing to show that I worked for more than 5years instead , I ended with a huge debt before I meet NEOLIFE Opportunity in Portharcourt
Re: Accept This Job Offer Or Continue Job Hunting??? by harlems02: 4:33pm On Oct 02, 2019
I was once offered that same kind of job in a Chinese Steel Company with a lesser pay and so many rules about fines for late coming or not coming to work atall for a day. When i weighed it, i just told them to go Bleep themselves. My dear it is a modern day way of trapping our Graduates into Slavery. My advice is RUN...Better days ahead jyst keep your head up.
Re: Accept This Job Offer Or Continue Job Hunting??? by papyskinsy: 4:35pm On Oct 02, 2019
I have just one question for yu..
assuming you get an invite to write and assessment test or interview with a big firm.. noting that the acceptance is not sure. please what wil tell your Chinese boss... that you are sick and can't come to the factory today..?.. mehn.. u wil be fired instantly.. hustle for a fair paying job without much restrictions
Re: Accept This Job Offer Or Continue Job Hunting??? by Heman7(m): 4:40pm On Oct 02, 2019
GUY DON'T, I REPEAT DON'T ACCEPT THAT KIND OF JOB!! WHAT'S 35K? IMAGINE... YOU WORK FOR SIX DAYS ONLY TO BE PAID PEANUT... YOU CANNOT GO AND COME AND KILL YOURSELF
Re: Accept This Job Offer Or Continue Job Hunting??? by pearls336: 4:41pm On Oct 02, 2019
Dont take it, its slavery haba. If it were Monday to friday and its 40k,i would have said manage till you get something better
Re: Accept This Job Offer Or Continue Job Hunting??? by fortune1968: 4:41pm On Oct 02, 2019
BamBella:
35k a month?? shocked
Working 7am to 6pm from Monday to Friday, that's slavery.
to Saturday !
Re: Accept This Job Offer Or Continue Job Hunting??? by fortune1968: 4:41pm On Oct 02, 2019
BamBella:
35k a month?? shocked
to Saturday !
Re: Accept This Job Offer Or Continue Job Hunting??? by fortune1968: 4:42pm On Oct 02, 2019
BamBella:
35k a month?? shocked
to Saturday !
Re: Accept This Job Offer Or Continue Job Hunting??? by kindkingsley: 4:42pm On Oct 02, 2019
But other bush allowances might be by the way side u never can tell bro as a purchase sales executive
Re: Accept This Job Offer Or Continue Job Hunting??? by sliqboy: 4:45pm On Oct 02, 2019
Badonasty:

Monday to Saturday
Can you imagine

1 Like

Re: Accept This Job Offer Or Continue Job Hunting??? by nextstep(m): 4:51pm On Oct 02, 2019
35k is small, but it's something to start. The alternative is what? Spending money on transport to go to interviews without job at the end of the day? I say take the job... and never stop searching for a better opportunity. You can also learn about the business during your time there.

fidet1:
Don’t take it, it’s modern day slavery
BamBella:
35k a month?? shocked Working 7am to 6pm from Monday to Friday Saturday, that's slavery.

To those saying working in Chinese factories is modern-day slavery... compare what the average Chinese worker in China is earning to create that USB charger that you buy in traffic for #500 (which wholesales around #300!). The average wage in China (until quite recently as wages have risen to the point manufacturing is moving to poorer countries) was barely N50k/month, in a country with higher cost of living but lower cost of business. When you calculate it, the wages are almost on par for the same factory work.

They work long long hours for low pay, which is why the world can buy cheap goods. Yet, that is how they built their economy. Life was not rosy for Chinese factory workers, so I would not expect the same for Nigerian factory workers if we're to get to the same level.

1 Like

Re: Accept This Job Offer Or Continue Job Hunting??? by gozzy121(m): 4:51pm On Oct 02, 2019
brother I will only advice u to turn down that offer because Chinese companies don't pay their workers at the end of the month rather they pays most especially 1st or 2nd week of new month. also whenever u default they will definitely deduct some money from ur salary. the only pple they pays well is their interpreter.tnx
Re: Accept This Job Offer Or Continue Job Hunting??? by DeIneffable(m): 4:51pm On Oct 02, 2019
I would have said take the job as great things sometimes start from small beginnings but I cannot advise you to take the job. It is not about the pay actually but it is about the time it takes from you. It means you will not have any time to attend an interview should the chance arise.

What I can advise however is, while you continue your search, keep an open mind towards technology. Your first degree might not be tech-related but I have heard of an Economics graduate who left school in 2017 but now works as a software engineer at Microsoft watch it here https://youtu.be/gU00mUn9npE. I can help you with some videos to start with a simple language like Python. While you might or might not clinch a Microsoft job, you will definitely be better of in the end

Ghostty:
Hello All.

1 Like

Re: Accept This Job Offer Or Continue Job Hunting??? by Nobody: 4:53pm On Oct 02, 2019
MrMcJay:

Egun means curse, je means to eat.
Egunje means eating curses.

So, you want him to mortgage his future because of the pennies he's seeing to steal by the side and useless bribes?

That's why most people struggle through life without making headway.

I actually meant,he will be getting some coins from good customers which is called bribe in Yolang.
Re: Accept This Job Offer Or Continue Job Hunting??? by Saintp(m): 4:54pm On Oct 02, 2019
Africans, Asians except Japan and South Korea are the most wicked set of humans you can work for on the planet. No value for your life, no value for ya time etc. They will drain you mentally

@OP, you need to make your own decision based on your own personal circumstances. But note the following
You will likely not gain the experience you want. These companies don't have good structures. They will use you anyhow they want.

You will be under constant threat of sack every day you step in there until you leave.

You will likely not last there for more than 3 months cos you will never satisfy them. Either they sack you and find another willing Nigerian or you quit out of frustration. That is why they are always recruiting

You will be sacked any day you go for an interview. In these kind of companies, no excuses. They don't care if you want to die sef.

My advice will be just budget of 1 month for them and see things for yourself. At least you will be in a position to advise others tomorrow

1 Like

Re: Accept This Job Offer Or Continue Job Hunting??? by sisisioge: 4:59pm On Oct 02, 2019
Please don't take it! Wowzerful!

1 Like

Re: Accept This Job Offer Or Continue Job Hunting??? by Octobertwentysix(f): 5:01pm On Oct 02, 2019
Bellotelli:

And this is coming from a woman sad sad sad
She's not normal, she is just plain stupid and a retard.
Re: Accept This Job Offer Or Continue Job Hunting??? by opribo(m): 5:04pm On Oct 02, 2019
Ever since i came to realise university education and degree were out of date since the my life have taken a new turn for the better.

Imagine me going on to acquire a first and second degrees in computer science and another masters in business administration. I searched for jobs no way.
Even people who were not as qualified were getting hired all because they were certified.
The day i got certified was the day they started listening to me.

Even a secondary school certificate holder with all the necessary certifications will get the job before you with your degree.

What I do not know is if university education is no longer relevant then why not phase it out. One can not waste his or her time in the university instead go straight for certifications and be a hot cake in the market.

1 Like

Re: Accept This Job Offer Or Continue Job Hunting??? by Nobody: 5:04pm On Oct 02, 2019
BamBella:
35k a month?? shocked

this is someone's MONTHLY TAX

Let me come and be going jeje

bros run run run
Re: Accept This Job Offer Or Continue Job Hunting??? by Octobertwentysix(f): 5:06pm On Oct 02, 2019
please run don't take that job, Chinese jobs in Nigeria is like modern day slavery, you will not even have time to hunt for a better job again, and by the time you remove your transport and feeding you won't have anything to save, it's better you get a job as a teacher in a good private school for that amount than working as a modern day slave.
Re: Accept This Job Offer Or Continue Job Hunting??? by banhammy: 5:06pm On Oct 02, 2019
This is modern day slavery.
You're even better off as NPower volunteer
Re: Accept This Job Offer Or Continue Job Hunting??? by omotayo11(m): 5:10pm On Oct 02, 2019
Dont think you should take such nonsense of an offer. If you live in Lagos and can think of something to do for yourself, you should make more than that and still have your time/freedom. That is ridiculous.

1 Like

Re: Accept This Job Offer Or Continue Job Hunting??? by concho(m): 5:11pm On Oct 02, 2019
fados4sure:
I will advise you to look for teaching job. I teach with just 3 period of 50minutes each per day & close 2:00pm with #30k/month
Your profile says that you are in UK .
How does 30k salary cover your daily flight to Nigeria for work?

1 Like

Re: Accept This Job Offer Or Continue Job Hunting??? by henry457: 5:37pm On Oct 02, 2019
White people companies are so frustrating and inconsiderate. I recently resigned from a 50k offer which I will never regret for making that decision. I work from Monday to Saturday and no specific time of going home.most times I go home very late and am been given more tax to perform. I declined their offer when the want me to sign a minimum of 2 years bond with them for just 50k.This money is not even enough for me been in lagos and moreover I can't even extend to my family. I had to quit because I need a brighter future for myself and that of my family. A graduate earning below 50k is not good at all.As a graduate of telecommunication engineering, accepting the offer means my degree is worthless.
My advise for you is if the offer does not come with any condition attached to it,then you can be managing it while looking for better opportunity. I resigned because my offer came with conditions which are not favourable to me

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

MTN Nigeria 2017 Massive Recruitment / See What This Ceo Is Demanding For / Photos: Unemployed Nigerians Seek Work At National Assembly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.