Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,665 members, 7,816,706 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:45 PM

Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? (41805 Views)

What Happened When I Told My Class Mates That I'm On A 2:1 Not A 1:1 / I Graduated With A 2.2, How Do I Become A University Lecturer? / Schools In Norway That Accepts A Second Class Lower Grade For Msc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by bluefilm: 3:42pm On Oct 13, 2019
2.2 is a terrible grade.

It is only marginally better than third class.

You better not graduate with a 2.2

'Cause if you do, you are DEAD.
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Sydney1995(m): 3:46pm On Oct 13, 2019
Yo bro, trust me 2:2 ain't a bad grade. I finished with a 2:2 for my first degree. I went for masters and the requirements were for a 2:1 but I still got in with my 2:2. Mind you this uni I am on about is 9th in the World, 3rd in the UK and 9th in Europe @ Imperial College London. Additionally, all the graduate jobs I have applied for none of them have rejected my application and I genuinely mean this. All I have to say is don't worry about your 2:2, it's not the end of the world and even if some employers state a 2:1 then you are too good for those employers. There are millions of 2:2 graduates who are better equipped technically and otherwise than those with a higher degree. All the best G

7 Likes

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Bakerdav: 3:48pm On Oct 13, 2019
As for naija today no grade is bad just make sure u go to school ND come out with anygrade, ND get connection, you r good to go
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Masterpiece77: 3:49pm On Oct 13, 2019
saajus:
Generally, 2.2 is not a bad grade. I have some friends who get scholarships for Masters abroad with 2.2. Most of them have PhD now. The question I always ask myself is, did I give all. If I could satisfy my conscience that I gave all but circumstances beyond my control caused me to be 3rd best, then I will be good.
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Kfaaji(m): 3:50pm On Oct 13, 2019
2.2 is not too bad. It's just that in some sector if you don't have it you can't even apply talkless of employing you. For example if you study oil and gas related courses and you come out with 2:2 forget working as a professional in an oil company except you have politicians Link. But if you don't come out with 2:1 is an opportunity to re-strategise believe me you might even end up employing those your mates with 2:1 or first class. The difference between 2:2 and 2:1 can be deduced from their reactions when they their final CGPA. 2:1 will be happy that he has something to seek for job and feel relaxed while 2:2 will feel empty and will start thinking outside the box immediately. At the end 2:1 will most likely come seeking for job at 2:2 office.

4 Likes

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Mikeparlo12(m): 3:52pm On Oct 13, 2019
From 2.50 to 3.49 is graded as 2.2. So don’t feel discouraged if you have 2.2
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Nobody: 3:53pm On Oct 13, 2019
If your 2:2 is with 3.0 gpa and above, you're good to go. I had a gpa of above 4.0 and I nearly hanged myself for not making 1st class in Nigeria but guess what, WES after evaluating my transcript, graded it as 1st class bachelors.
Don't be demoralized but work on adding more skill and certification to boost the 2:2 also.

1 Like

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by dallyemmy: 3:53pm On Oct 13, 2019
That is a draw.
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Masterpiece77: 3:55pm On Oct 13, 2019
Sydney1995:
Yo bro, trust me 2:2 ain't a bad grade. I finished with a 2:2 for my first degree. I went for masters and the requirements were for a 2:1 but I still got in with my 2:2. Mind you this uni I am on about is 9th in the World, 3rd in the UK and 9th in Europe @ Imperial College London. Additionally, all the graduate jobs I have applied for none of them have rejected my application and I genuinely mean this. All I have to say is don't worry about your 2:2, it's not the end of the world and even if some employers state a 2:1 then you are too good for those employers. There are millions of 2:2 graduates who are better equipped technically and otherwise than those with a higher degree. All the best G
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by EmptyCoconutHead(m): 3:55pm On Oct 13, 2019
dave4rella:

One of these higher institutions in the south south
oga mention the name cos the way you speak na like person wey never go school
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by mechanics(m): 3:57pm On Oct 13, 2019
kamtrix:
Happy Sunday guys. I want to know, for a graduate, is a 2.2 a bad result? Does it hinder one from certain opportunities and does it make employers not Like you?

Please help
Not a bad grade.
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Babaalata: 3:57pm On Oct 13, 2019
stevups:

Best so far

Thanks bro. I have friends that graduated with 2.2 and are big boys now.

1 Like

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Nobody: 3:58pm On Oct 13, 2019
Multinationals usually require 2.1 and above. But with skills probably a master you are good to go.
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by PatrickOkunima(m): 4:00pm On Oct 13, 2019
Wow. The Almighty Unilag, I didn't know they accept less than 3.0 for M.Sc. You're vindicated.
shogz89:
Msc finance smiley
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by EmptyCoconutHead(m): 4:00pm On Oct 13, 2019
holubee21:

Grace can only speak for you no matter ur grade in school..
tell that to your children and generations unborn to go flirt in school, dump their books and neglect reading and grace will come from no where and land them a job after they might have earned a third class degree (only if they're not sent packing on poor academic performance)
So Grace will come and save them.
Seriously the word grace has been bastardized.
U for kukuma say connection just like osinbajo's daughter that recently graduated, cgpa is of no use to her cos she got the connection.
I hope you grab

4 Likes

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Olalekank(m): 4:01pm On Oct 13, 2019
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by donMIG(m): 4:02pm On Oct 13, 2019
Dpends on wat u read!
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Olalekank(m): 4:02pm On Oct 13, 2019
bluefilm:
2.2 is a terrible grade.

It is only marginally better than third class.

You better not graduate with a 2.2

'Cause if you do, you are DEAD.
No, you are not dead

1 Like

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by dives(m): 4:02pm On Oct 13, 2019
That's a wonderful course. You may try Germany or Georgia State Uni in the US. As a Geophysicist, I am sure you would want to work in an O and G firm so make sure you aim for a very top notch uni like Imperial College like a poster up there posted. Apply to PTDF OSS and then go to Imperial. All the best bro.
Masterpiece77:

Good to hear this.. Would have loved to apply but there's no fund. Sir, do you know of any reputable school abroad that gives scholarship to second class lower graduate? I'm a 2:2 (3.2) graduate of Applied Geophysics.
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by dave4rella(m): 4:04pm On Oct 13, 2019
EmptyCoconutHead:
oga mention the name cos the way you speak na like person wey never go school

grin
Sorry, now I understand your type
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by shogsman(m): 4:09pm On Oct 13, 2019
Jhaytee4all:
That's lower class.

Only God can favour you with that kind of grade... it is only through God you can find a good job with an average grade

I don’t think you’re a Nigerian.

3 Likes

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by lizdammy: 4:09pm On Oct 13, 2019
You tried
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Timabesi: 4:10pm On Oct 13, 2019
kamtrix:
Happy Sunday guys. I want to know, for a graduate, is a 2.2 a bad result? Does it hinder one from certain opportunities and does it make employers not Like you?

Please help

Well, it's actually not, no grade is so bad... as u might not necessarily depend on them to make it in real world out here... good grades can only offer that initial step u need, that's if you are going to queue in the already overcrowded labour market, but you don't need good grades to kick of a personal dream, u just need the right thinking and a capital... in all of the young millionaires I know around me, none is using certificate, at least not yet... they all have something in common, smart and humble and a big dream...
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Nobody: 4:11pm On Oct 13, 2019
in a class of 180 students, it takes the grace of God and strictly hardwork for just one person to bag a 1st class grade, (private uni excluded) and it take extreme seriousness to bag a 2.1, which may not be morethan 20 students with certified 2.1 out of 180students. Come to the 2.2 stuff, 2.2 is for those who are seriouse but didnt meet up, these ones tried their best, they are those who believe success doesn't end with full stop but with commas. In this case about 140 out of 200 students bags 2.2, while 3rd, these once tried their best but not just working out for them at all, some with challenges nd some people call them d lazy ones but i call them those that tried but not just working out. so bro enjoy ur 2.2,. 2.1 in my school (KSU) is like 1st class in most Nigeria schools

3 Likes

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by heendrix(m): 4:13pm On Oct 13, 2019
MiztaYouneek:
If you are asking this question, I wonder the kind of question those with 3rd class will ask.

Lol grin. grin
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Juliearth(f): 4:13pm On Oct 13, 2019
The labour market is stereotypic. Inasmuch as graduating with a 2:2 shouldn't be a big deal, you must work hard to bag at least a 2:1. Those with 2:2 can still add value to that by enrolling for masters and bagging certifications and skills that are competitive. In the long run, it is what you can offer that gets you the job, not even the grades.
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Nobody: 4:14pm On Oct 13, 2019
Business123:
I earn very good 6 digits with my 2.2, no godfather, no helper, started with 70k salary 6 years ago, started gaining experience and certifications, so within about 5-6 years of actively working I have been able to fight my way to where I am. Now no company can discriminate against me.

2.2 is not a bad degree, what you do next determinimes your testimony within 5 years from now. Your friends with 2.1 might have it easier than you now, because they will get more job invites than you, but within 5 years, if you are wise, patient and stategize things will be fine. Your destiny is in your hands.
what kind of certificstion would u advise a fresh graduate to do?
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by phynotic(m): 4:14pm On Oct 13, 2019
2.2 is not a bad grade as far as Nigeria concern
However, it could prevent one from applying as a Graduate Trainee in some companies like Access Bank, Nigeria Brewery, Haliburton, Saipem

But in the current professional world, there are opportunities to start as a Intern in desired field, you can also boost your career with subsequent experience and certifications.

You also need to push and pray...

1 Like

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by heendrix(m): 4:14pm On Oct 13, 2019
Balenciagabrain:
It's for legends. People that will make it on their own. Don't be deterred by it pls.

hmmmm worrd

1 Like

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by ibechris(m): 4:15pm On Oct 13, 2019
stinflame:

Yes,get the best if you can.But some 2.2 are smarter tho.
Those are the ones who had a great fall,I.e from a strong 2.1

Whether first class,2.1 or 2.2... no automatic employment but if u know anyone in Nigeria even with 3rd class or pass u are good to go.
Except u want to travel abroad. In Nigeria, na man know man every other thing na waste of time.
There is simply nothing bad about 2.2 just graduate first and decide ur destiny.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Nobody: 4:15pm On Oct 13, 2019
Business123:
I earn very good 6 digits with my 2.2, no godfather, no helper, started with 70k salary 6 years ago, started gaining experience and certifications, so within about 5-6 years of actively working I have been able to fight my way to where I am. Now no company can discriminate against me.

2.2 is not a bad degree, what you do next determinimes your testimony within 5 years from now. Your friends with 2.1 might have it easier than you now, because they will get more job invites than you, but within 5 years, if you are wise, patient and stategize things will be fine. Your destiny is in your hands.
i wanted to go in to IT but am a bit discourage cos am a political science graduate
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by mediclife1987(m): 4:16pm On Oct 13, 2019
kamtrix:

Please help

Atleast you go geh work for Nigerian Army. You go geh chance to atleast die for country...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

UNIOSUN Lecturer, Sesan, Seen Flogging 200 Level English Department Students / What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? / This Is How I Iron My Clothes In Ogwashi Uku

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.