Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,626 members, 7,816,575 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:24 PM

Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? (41799 Views)

What Happened When I Told My Class Mates That I'm On A 2:1 Not A 1:1 / I Graduated With A 2.2, How Do I Become A University Lecturer? / Schools In Norway That Accepts A Second Class Lower Grade For Msc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Harrisee(m): 5:09pm On Oct 13, 2019
You do not need first class, 2.1 or people. All you need is GOD. Simple. I'm a witness.

4 Likes

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by ilevic(m): 5:10pm On Oct 13, 2019
lollybizzu:

grin

You said if he knows person in Nigeria.
But what if he doesn't know someone?

E go tey for job market even with his first class

2 Likes

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Psalm2423(m): 5:11pm On Oct 13, 2019
slyfoxxjoe:
If you’re not going to follow it up with a masters to boost your resume, then a 2.2 is as useless as not going to school at all. In this age were many good paying companies are asking for masters as minimum degree requirement, You now come with 2.2 bachelors. Don’t get me wrong, success in life is in no way dependent or guaranteed by whether you go to university at all, many people who didn’t go to uni are millionaires today. But if you’re going to waste the money, effort and 4+ years of your life on higher education, then it’s really foolish to come out with anything less than a 2.1

And I’m struggling to maintain my 3rd class. See life.

2 Likes

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Elobless: 5:18pm On Oct 13, 2019
slyfoxxjoe:
If you’re not going to follow it up with a masters to boost your resume, then a 2.2 is as useless as not going to school at all. In this age were many good paying companies are asking for masters as minimum degree requirement, You now come with 2.2 bachelors. Don’t get me wrong, success in life is in no way dependent or guaranteed by whether you go to university at all, many people who didn’t go to uni are millionaires today. But if you’re going to waste the money, effort and 4+ years of your life on higher education, then it’s really foolish to come out with anything less than a 2.1
Anyone that does not make 2:1 is not foolish. university is not only a place for the smartest students.

3 Likes

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Gerrard59(m): 5:29pm On Oct 13, 2019
francisgodstime:
bro i would have luv to go into dat programming stuff, but a bit discourage cos am a political science graduate.

It does not matter. What matter are determination, perseverance, hard work, delayed gratification and constant practice.

https://mail.stutern.com/l/sixyYiFFaOElUg8ZxOldAA/sVks9jMWQKpIkbo6h0XbGg/f9EjsZV8BeVLeOPN0ykPjQ

1 Like

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Nobody: 5:36pm On Oct 13, 2019
Mikeparlo12:
From 2.50 to 3.49 is graded as 2.2. So don’t feel discouraged if you have 2.2
2.40-3.49 in Unilag
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by rockyh(m): 5:38pm On Oct 13, 2019
kamtrix:
Happy Sunday guys. I want to know, for a graduate, is a 2.2 a bad result? Does it hinder one from certain opportunities and does it make employers not Like you?

Please help
Even first class is a bad result if it does not equate to a good employment the most important thing is to achieve a brighter future on relation to ur skills. Most importantly seek God's direction

1 Like

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by SctDonald(m): 5:42pm On Oct 13, 2019
It depends on your course of study...for instance,if you studied any health related courses like med lab,nursing,med rehab,med radio...it isn't a bad grade as long as you can perform and prove yourself with your technical know how...It is also applicable to some professional courses...
However,in some fields,you need more than 2.2..

1 Like

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by rockyh(m): 5:43pm On Oct 13, 2019
Psalm2423:

try and graduate with it engage in a skill n wait upon the lord. I know a lady with a masters degree but she runs a baby store n worth millions that her mates of the working class level look up to her don't give up only put pride far from ur dwelling n u will see that someday you will laugh at your degree n say I made it

1 Like

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by zicoraads: 5:48pm On Oct 13, 2019
kamtrix:
Happy Sunday guys. I want to know, for a graduate, is a 2.2 a bad result? Does it hinder one from certain opportunities and does it make employers not Like you?

Please help
Yes, it hinders you from certain opportunities. But it's not a bad result, especially if you know what you are doing.

Certain employers set the barrier at 2:1, some don't. So it depends. There are those who won't invite you for a test.

There are those who would invite everyone and test them equally.

In the end though, a 2:1 or 2:2 is not very, very helpful in this present day Nigeria.
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Psalm2423(m): 5:51pm On Oct 13, 2019
rockyh:
try and graduate with it engage in a skill n wait upon the lord. I know a lady with a masters degree but she runs a baby store n worth millions that her mates of the working class level look up to her don't give up only put pride far from ur dwelling n u will see that someday you will laugh at your degree n say I made it

I don’t even need the degree self. I’m just reading so I don’t pay another school after this year. All the hard work on education didn’t reflect on my result, so I kissed mama goodbye. Lol.

1 Like

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by chukzyfcbb: 5:52pm On Oct 13, 2019
if you are still in school try to graduate with 2"1 or above to improve your chances when starting up.

However in the long run (years later), none of those actually matter. it will be down to what you can offer that's of value to us, not the degree anymore.

You are better off with a First class knowledge of Business Importation (not alibaba or AliExpress, I mean real importation via containers @ AlaBa or Osha mkt)

Nigeria and schooling now get as e be. or You make the 2'1/First class and find your way out of naija asap.
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by smeag0l(m): 5:59pm On Oct 13, 2019
While this happens sometimes because a first class graduate may feel entitled and then become lazy and not putting in enough effort to get a great job, it is not most times, the case. First class and 2.1 grads get far better job opportunities than other grads.
naijadrivablog:
You mean Second Class (Lower Division)? No, I found out that life is about Grace of God, your connection and the type of people you know.

Most "2:2" graduates succeed faster than even First Class holders.

Sometimes, results just shows the knowledge you didn't forget at the examination hall.

1 Like

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Ay04z(m): 6:04pm On Oct 13, 2019
Grade matters. But. Learn more skills and improve in ur field of study.. Am. A drop out. At first. Den I start my business.. And am doing fine presently. Though I later opt for a pt programme. But I doubt I can't even use my certificate to work under anybody. Bkos. I know wat am capable of doing. . Just want to have the certificate for having sake. Naija is all abt grace.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by teelord1(m): 6:04pm On Oct 13, 2019
figure007:
i graduated with 2:2 ...but am an enterprenuer with my own registered business and doing fine .... Funny enough i only worked for a year after Nysc and later resigned to start mine own business...am my own boss ... Your life is not in grade but your skills and Pray ... Am an IT PROFESSIONAL(ENGINEER). LIKE SOMEONE SAID YOU CAN ALSO GET CERTIFICATIONS ...THATS WHAT EMPLOYERS LOOK FOR NOW , 80PERCENT EMPLOYERS LOOK FOR CERTIFICATION AND NOT GRADE.... YOU DONT EXPECT ME TO EMPLOY FIRST class graduate FROM PRIVATE UNI OVER BSC OR HND WITH professional certifications/training FRoM OTHER UNI ...AM NOT DISCRIMINATING BUT THATS THE FACT ...

What's the fact you are not explicit enough. Why won't you employe a first graduate who has what you need because he attended private university.
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by OOSmilling(m): 6:09pm On Oct 13, 2019
slyfoxxjoe:
some science, geoscience and engineering courses na die for some schools, to even get 2.2 u be genius.

1 Like

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Icecream4U(m): 6:12pm On Oct 13, 2019
They are usually CEOs

Because, They hardly get employed.

1 Like

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Jonathan39: 6:22pm On Oct 13, 2019
Thanks boss, and I wish you the in whatever you hands finds to do
Gerrard59:

https://www.nairaland.com/1832477/how-achieve-high-scores-gre

At the bold, with that mentality, I wish you luck in your entrepreneurial pursuits.

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by smeag0l(m): 6:26pm On Oct 13, 2019
You're so funny, dear. Tbh, A 2.2 without an MSC is like not going to school
pocohantas:
They done dey whine am.

Nde strong 2.2 grin grin
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by aforosco(m): 6:33pm On Oct 13, 2019
I am a testimony.I had a 2.2( 3.48) I felt i was doomed.I went back to school and did another degree direct entry while applying for jobs for 3 yrs.

God decided to put my knowledge to shame as i got a job with the 2.2 on the day i was writting final exam for the second degree.I grad with a 4.35 but i didnt even go collect the certificate.That 2.2 Certificate earned ne a 176k job.

Young man grade dont matter but you have alot of work to do but in skill and mentally.
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Nobody: 6:40pm On Oct 13, 2019
OOSmilling:
some science, geoscience and engineering courses na die for some schools, to even get 2.2 u be genius.
most students who enroll for those kind of courses are the brilliant ones Who often make 2.1 or first class quite easily anyway, but regardless even a 2.2 in specialized courses like that is Still a little acceptable.. back it up with a masters and a few professional/training courses after graduation and you should be good. As opposed to someone who gets a 2.2 in business admin or English studies and then goes straight into the job market like that. Oga be ready to sit at home for the next 3 years unless you are connected in which case degree does not really matter anyway. In general a 2.2 in any course without any additional studies or experience on your CV just does not cut it in today’s job market.

1 Like

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by deltateam: 6:43pm On Oct 13, 2019
AfonjaBoston:

100k is also 6 digits lol

I can bet you aren't earning close to that.

2 Likes

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Nobody: 6:47pm On Oct 13, 2019
Elobless:
Anyone that does not make 2:1 is not foolish. university is not only a place for the smartest students.
Trust me bro I can say this because I finished with that same grade myself. I gained nothing from uni apart from all the fun and drinking I endulged in. Graduated with a 2.2, did a masters and still found it hard to find meaningful employment for a whole year afterwards. Finally gave up searching and focused full time on my side hustle which by Gods grace has been a moderate success and currently pays my bills. I have not looked at my degrees since 2016 now. I possibly don’t even m is where I kept them. My only regret was wasting so much time and resources on academics instead of a vocational course or apprenticeship relevant to my business today. God knows where I would have been by now. University qualifications are waaaaay overrated in Nigeria.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by deltateam: 6:49pm On Oct 13, 2019
mercyviv:
Having a 2.2 means you have a balanced life; you're both sociable as well as intelligent. Anything above 2.2 is too booky and less sociable, but below 2.2...well, read between the lines... grin grin
Meanwhile...
Are you a teacher?
Get FREE access to the best compilation of school lesson notes/plans, curriculum and exams. Visit my signature for details...

Grade has nothing to do with one's temperament.
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Nobody: 6:52pm On Oct 13, 2019
Psalm2423:

lol it doesn’t mean there’s no hope. See my other posts above. Be ready to either invest in an anvanced degree and unpaid internships after graduation to boost your resume or forget education, maybe it’s not your calling, you must have another skill or trade that interests you. Start developing it now. The earlier the better. We have conditioned kids in his country to think they cannot success without university. Big lie.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by deltateam: 6:59pm On Oct 13, 2019
Mac2016:

It will definitely hinder you from some opportunities. But bro, you don't actually need all opportunities to succeed in life. You only need to make the best of any opportunity that you have. That said!
2.2 can make the struggle harder so get the best of grade you can. Now if you have got 2.2, this will work.

1. Study the field you wanna establish a career in, as in real market study. (look at their adverts and you will see their regular demand/prerequisite for hiring)

2. Figure out the largest demand and desire in that field as per software training required, certifications.

3. By fire by force, go for these trainings and be the best in them.

4. With that done. Bro, you are good to go even first class students won't be your match again

Stay blessed. I had a 2.2 also. 3.47 tho

Very painful to know that 0.03 prevented you from 2:1. I hope whatever made you lose focus was worth it.
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by deltateam: 7:06pm On Oct 13, 2019
Janet200:

Don’t allow your 2.2 define you, during my nysc I did 3 certifications (2 on management and one on programming ), immediately after my service I got a six salary figure job from there I saved money wrote the gre, am in the USA now for my graduate program with tuition waived and good monthly stipends. It’s advisable to get a good grade but if you cannot change it don’t feel bad just make everything a steppingstone

Is NIM among?

1 Like

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Nobody: 7:11pm On Oct 13, 2019
Psalm2423:

I don’t even need the degree self. I’m just reading so I don’t pay another school after this year. All the hard work on education didn’t reflect on my result, so I kissed mama goodbye. Lol.
How many hours do you study in a day
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Mac2016(m): 7:16pm On Oct 13, 2019
deltateam:

Very painful to know that 0.03 prevented you from 2:1. I hope whatever made you lose focus was worth it.
SUG politics and other forms of school politics then back in OAU. It's more than a decade now.
It's a long forgotten event.. Other things have made up for it. grin

Thanks for your concern bro.

1 Like

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Psalm2423(m): 7:17pm On Oct 13, 2019
iRyan:

How many hours do you study in a day

Up to 8 hours daily. Don’t actually study for exam till exam. I usually don’t even see the point of exam. Some persons need to read over n over again before they can understand something. Like it took me 2 years to fully understand almost everything bout U.S and International tax law; but my school course has been a mystery since the last four years. Na God know as I take day escape with D.
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Mac2016(m): 7:20pm On Oct 13, 2019
aforosco:
I am a testimony.I had a 2.2( 3.48) I felt i was doomed.I went back to school and did another degree direct entry while applying for jobs for 3 yrs.

God decided to put my knowledge to shame as i got a job with the 2.2 on the day i was writting final exam for the second degree.I grad with a 4.35 but i didnt even go collect the certificate.That 2.2 Certificate earned ne a 176k job.

Young man grade dont matter but you have alot of work to do but in skill and mentally.
You are never a second class grader. But you really vex gan o.
I got 3.47 and still angry cos I knew I caused it.
I will still have that anger to transmit to my future course grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? / LAUTECH 2013/2014 Admission / UNIOSUN Lecturer, Sesan, Seen Flogging 200 Level English Department Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.