Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,498 members, 7,816,187 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:17 AM

Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? (41784 Views)

What Happened When I Told My Class Mates That I'm On A 2:1 Not A 1:1 / I Graduated With A 2.2, How Do I Become A University Lecturer? / Schools In Norway That Accepts A Second Class Lower Grade For Msc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by AirstarKane(f): 4:18pm On Oct 13, 2019
zionmde:
Bro Take this advice from me
First class and second class upper can get u a graduate Trainee job which is very competitive today. But it will take a whole lot of career upgrade to get it other jobs.
A practical example
A 2.2 graduate of Logistics with CIPS, CILT, SCM Certifications coupled with other notable trainings is far more valuable and has bigger job prospects than a 2.1 graduate of the same Course who doesn't have any of those.

Yes gun for 2.1 and above, but if u don't succeed in getting it, den while others are waiting for Nysc, doing Nysc, waiting for jobs, go ahead and try to gather experience through training and certifications. Now don't ask me where is the money? Ur mind is d capital u need
Can you list some of the professional courses or things you did to upgrade?
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Nobody: 4:20pm On Oct 13, 2019
Angelawhite:
The only bad thing is graduating with 2:2 and at the same time not having sense. I mean, not realizing you have less opportunities than your 2:1 and first class counterparts and not working to improve on your skills.
The moment you tell yourself the truth and stop looking for consolation or hope, that’s when you start progressing.

When I graduated, I knew it’ll be a stiff competition so I channeled all my energy towards advancing my programming skills. Barely one year after my service, I have landed myself so many offers with top IT companies in the country with mouth watery pay. Most of my classmates with better results are still writing aptitude tests here and there while I’m gainfully employed and still work on side projects as a freelancer.
Look at your degree as a piece of art and get your hands dirty!
bro i would have luv to go into dat programming stuff, but a bit discourage cos am a political science graduate.
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by phynotic(m): 4:20pm On Oct 13, 2019
CIPM, Project Managment etc
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by bluefilm: 4:21pm On Oct 13, 2019
Olalekank:

No, you are not dead

Yes, dead is an understatement.

You are not only dead.

You are also BURIED.
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Starhearts: 4:21pm On Oct 13, 2019
Jhaytee4all:
That's lower class.

Only God can favour you with that kind of grade... it is only through God you can find a good job with an average grade

See how a fully grown up human being splitting poos online.
Wetin dey sweet ur belle.
Wht have u achieved with ur level of education.

1 Like

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by crafteck(m): 4:22pm On Oct 13, 2019
All grades are bad even first class, education na scam

2 Likes

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Nobody: 4:26pm On Oct 13, 2019
shogz89:
op this is also my story,, 2:1 and first class can only give you a good head start after that it's how you are able to Improve yourself that will distinguish you from others.. I have a 2:2, it hindered me from getting certain jobs true, but I have developed myself up to a standard you will be foolish not to hire me because i had 2:2. I have changed 2 jobs within 2 years and I didn't even have to apply for the last one all within a space of 5 years post nysc experience... Go for professional certification and gain the necessary experience it could be internship, don't expect to get the best job instantly but be focused you will get there faster than you thought. Many good company still hire 2:2 very many with good salaries.
bro what certificstion is good for a fresh graduate? I want 2 try IT but a bit discourage cos am a political science graduate. I also would luv HR
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by bimbodotun(m): 4:27pm On Oct 13, 2019
I have a 2-2 and my first job paid me close to 200k 4 yrs ago
Business123:
I earn very good 6 digits with my 2.2, no godfather, no helper, started with 70k salary 6 years ago, started gaining experience and certifications, so within about 5-6 years of actively working I have been able to fight my way to where I am. Now no company can discriminate against me.

2.2 is not a bad degree, what you do next determinimes your testimony within 5 years from now. Your friends with 2.1 might have it easier than you now, because they will get more job invites than you, but within 5 years, if you are wise, patient and stategize things will be fine. Your destiny is in your hands.
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Nobody: 4:27pm On Oct 13, 2019
pcguru1:

I graduated with a 2.2 life is not bad just have skills that people will find valuable
skills like? Mind u am a political science graduate
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by genii96(m): 4:28pm On Oct 13, 2019
Normally, it's not something you should want. However some Nigerian companies actually forego first class graduates in favour of 2.2 graduates so that they can pay them cheaply.

But no, aim for 2.1 at least
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by zionmde: 4:29pm On Oct 13, 2019
AirstarKane:

Can you list some of the professional courses or things you did to upgrade?
It depends on ur field of study
Am into d supply chain field
Cips, SCM, CILT and so many other trainings
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by henryhemon(m): 4:31pm On Oct 13, 2019
kamtrix:
Happy Sunday guys. I want to know, for a graduate, is a 2.2 a bad result? Does it hinder one from certain opportunities and does it make employers not Like you?

Please help

You guys still ask this silly n dumb questions
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by hefeeluv: 4:36pm On Oct 13, 2019
Angelawhite:
The only bad thing is graduating with 2:2 and at the same time not having sense. I mean, not realizing you have less opportunities than your 2:1 and first class counterparts and not working to improve on your skills.
The moment you tell yourself the truth and stop looking for consolation or hope, that’s when you start progressing.

When I graduated, I knew it’ll be a stiff competition so I channeled all my energy towards advancing my programming skills. Barely one year after my service, I have landed myself so many offers with top IT companies in the country with mouth watery pay. Most of my classmates with better results are still writing aptitude tests here and there while I’m gainfully employed and still work on side projects as a freelancer.
Look at your degree as a piece of art and get your hands dirty!
hello man pls what programming skills
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Nobody: 4:37pm On Oct 13, 2019
zionmde:

It depends on ur field of study
Am into d supply chain field
Cips, SCM, CILT and so many other trainings
field like? Am a political science graduate nd would luv to go into HR, although as a job seeker i would accept anything for now.
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by DesChyko: 4:38pm On Oct 13, 2019
Bro. What is bad for a graduate is not knowing anyone sad
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Nobody: 4:39pm On Oct 13, 2019
ibechris:

Whether first class,2.1 or 2.2... no automatic employment but if u know anyone in Nigeria even with 3rd class or pass u are good to go.
Except u want to travel abroad. In Nigeria, na man know man every other thing na waste of time.
There is simply nothing bad about 2.2 just graduate first and decide ur destiny.

undecided,my brother all my first class mets are overseas under the government care oo.It opens more opportunity.

1 Like

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by zionmde: 4:40pm On Oct 13, 2019
francisgodstime:
field like? Am a political science graduate nd would luv to go into HR, although as a job seeker i would accept anything for now.
My dear u can delve into the HR field too
Just do a little research on hr certifications
Or
Search for HR vacancies, take ur time and go through requirements of as many of them as possible. U will actually get a definite direction on wat it takes to go into that field

1 Like

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by ibechris(m): 4:40pm On Oct 13, 2019
bluefilm:
2.2 is a terrible grade.

It is only marginally better than third class.

You better not graduate with a 2.2

'Cause if you do, you are DEAD.

Shut up bush man,I graduated with 2.2 at a state University in Nigeria with 3.3 grade and still performed more than the so called 2.1 holders in an interview.
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Viking007(m): 4:41pm On Oct 13, 2019
Your grade only matters in your first or second job. After that it's all about experience. It becomes useless, trust me.

3 Likes

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by nauto6: 4:45pm On Oct 13, 2019
It will make you a better person and you will not depend ..................

All the people that made money on this country including Mr B....
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by chigoizie7(m): 4:46pm On Oct 13, 2019
Who cares? For that yeye country? Make yourself a cool cash and Bleep the damn certificate.

1 Like

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Ejiod(m): 4:48pm On Oct 13, 2019
Be talking grades...Better go and learn computer.. even if its Excel.Learn! Computer is the future not grades.!

3 Likes

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by ibechris(m): 4:52pm On Oct 13, 2019
[quote author=stinflame post=83103979]

undecided,my brother all my first class mets are overseas under the government care oo.It opens more opportunity.[/quot

2 Likes

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by ibechris(m): 4:53pm On Oct 13, 2019
Ejiod:
Be talking grades...Better go and learn computer.. even if its Excel.Learn! Computer is the future not grades.!

That is it my brother.

1 Like

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Deltatoto: 4:55pm On Oct 13, 2019
kamtrix:
Happy Sunday guys. I want to know, for a graduate, is a 2.2 a bad result? Does it hinder one from certain opportunities and does it make employers not Like you?

Please help
u well?i made 2.2 I give money to those that made 2.1.education is over rated in Africa.no matter what u graduated with u got hustle after school.

1 Like

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Jonathan39: 4:56pm On Oct 13, 2019
How did you make your GRE, I need some secret from you. I am currently serving, I read computer science, I can Program very well and By Grace of God I Graduated with 2.1, I dont intend working for someone simply because I have my own plans. I am currently studying for GRE and upping my game as regards programming, Any hint from you as regards GRE will be appreciated by me. Thanks
Janet200:

Don’t allow your 2.2 define you, during my nysc I did 3 certifications (2 on management and one on programming ), immediately after my service I got a six salary figure job from there I saved money wrote the gre, am in the USA now for my graduate program with tuition waived and good monthly stipends. It’s advisable to get a good grade but if you cannot change it don’t feel bad just make everything a steppingstone
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by abokijabo(m): 4:56pm On Oct 13, 2019
I have a friend who graduated with 3rd class and he just got his offer with prison service�

1 Like

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Sydney1995(m): 4:57pm On Oct 13, 2019
I can only talk about UK - If you say reputable then I do not know. However, there are unis in the UK that will give you scholarship even with your 2:2 but you gotta do your research wella. You can also apply to PTDF, commonwealth scholarship funds or even some state governments offer scholarships for students to come to the UK. I did my undergrad in geology with geophysics and all the Nigerian PhD students in my department were all on scholarship from either PTDF or their state governments.

So, do your research well bro
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by toye440: 5:02pm On Oct 13, 2019
Sirvingeo:

it will definitely hinder you from applying in some openings where they out-rightly earmark a minimum of 2.1 grade. But my dear grade does not matter this days in the labor market . what is really in demand is your skills .
What is everyone saying now. Guy the only thing that matters in this dispensation is ur religious affiliation and region.
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Nobody: 5:06pm On Oct 13, 2019
All these assholes wey dey talk shit about 2.2. If I may ask, u wey get 1 or 2.1 wetin u don achieve so far? Ndi mmuo... Dey there dey argue grades while ur mates wey be dropout dey buy mansions... Aboki... School na to go wise up no be assurance of getting job. Ur boss wey employ u no carry 2.1 or even 1 come out. Play to God for a better self employment to secure ur happiness... Mgbeke

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Gerrard59(m): 5:06pm On Oct 13, 2019
toobusy:
change ur mindset dear.....establish ur own empire through bizness,and stop killing ur self over some grade written on a sheet of paper,don't waste ur time helping another man/woman build his/her own future and bizness while ur depend on some peanut he/she will be giving u come every month end,u too can be an employer of labour,most of my colleagues that came out with 2:1 and first class are either teaching in private secondary schools or working as bar attendant in hotels,that bizness u started with 10 or 20k with special dedications and strategies could be worth hundreds of thousands or even millions within few years.

Implying your employees are wasting their time building your empire? If everyone develops such mentality, who will you employ to build this empire?

@OP: As much it is a low grade, it is not the end of the world. Depending on your career interests, you could improve your skill set by:

- Writing professional examinations
- Go into the IT sector where no one cares about your grade but your works. Here is an opporutnity before it expires https://mail.stutern.com/l/sixyYiFFaOElUg8ZxOldAA/sVks9jMWQKpIkbo6h0XbGg/f9EjsZV8BeVLeOPN0ykPjQ
- Work in smaller organisations thereby garnering experience and building a network
- Going into entrepreneurship but don't have the stoopid mentality of the poster I quoted. Such entrepreneurs don't succeed.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Gerrard59(m): 5:09pm On Oct 13, 2019
Jonathan39:
How did you make your GRE, I need some secret from you. I am currently serving, I read computer science, I can Program very well and By Grace of God I Graduated with 2.1, I dont intend working for someone simply because I have my own plans. I am currently studying for GRE and upping my game as regards programming, Any hint from you as regards GRE will be appreciated by me. Thanks

https://www.nairaland.com/1832477/how-achieve-high-scores-gre

At the bold, with that mentality, I wish you luck in your entrepreneurial pursuits.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? / LAUTECH 2013/2014 Admission / UNIOSUN Lecturer, Sesan, Seen Flogging 200 Level English Department Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.