Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,548 members, 7,816,334 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:40 AM

Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? (41791 Views)

What Happened When I Told My Class Mates That I'm On A 2:1 Not A 1:1 / I Graduated With A 2.2, How Do I Become A University Lecturer? / Schools In Norway That Accepts A Second Class Lower Grade For Msc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Ritelar: 2:37pm On Oct 13, 2019
You shouldn't allow it be a limitation to you
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Nobody: 2:38pm On Oct 13, 2019
Mine is inside my box gathering dust... grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by SendAbroad: 2:39pm On Oct 13, 2019
kamtrix:
Happy Sunday guys. I want to know, for a graduate, is a 2.2 a bad result? Does it hinder one from certain opportunities and does it make employers not Like you?

Please help

For job opportunities you might have in mind, oil and gas, bank, telecoms, it's a set back

If you are running your own biz, the 2-2 doesn't matter.

1 Like

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by abbey621(m): 2:39pm On Oct 13, 2019
Study your current situation and use the experiences of those that graduated before you as a learning curve. In a country where 70% of all new graduates are unemployed or underemployed, you already put yourself at a disadvantage by having a 2.2. Now you should be thinking ahead, Masters or Entrepreneurship, always stay 1 or 2 steps ahead of the competition, 24 hrs in a day, if you can't use 3 to 4 hours per day to better yourself then you'll just keep going in circles.

4 Likes

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by imitateMe(m): 2:39pm On Oct 13, 2019
Very bad grade

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Xeexeex: 2:39pm On Oct 13, 2019
Just do Masters from a reputable university abroad and your 2.2 will be ignored.
Many countries offer tuition free education. Studying abroad doesn't have to be expensive.

1 Like

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Angelawhite(m): 2:40pm On Oct 13, 2019
The only bad thing is graduating with 2:2 and at the same time not having sense. I mean, not realizing you have less opportunities than your 2:1 and first class counterparts and not working to improve on your skills.
The moment you tell yourself the truth and stop looking for consolation or hope, that’s when you start progressing.

When I graduated, I knew it’ll be a stiff competition so I channeled all my energy towards advancing my programming skills. Barely one year after my service, I have landed myself so many offers with top IT companies in the country with mouth watery pay. Most of my classmates with better results are still writing aptitude tests here and there while I’m gainfully employed and still work on side projects as a freelancer.
Look at your degree as a piece of art and get your hands dirty!

10 Likes

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by 2pens: 2:40pm On Oct 13, 2019
It also depends on which course you did

2 Likes

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by kunlap02(m): 2:40pm On Oct 13, 2019
2.2 is not a bad Grade for a graduate i must say,although there are some high paying jobs that requires you get a minimum of 2.1 an example is some Nigerian Banks and Big Audit firms.I think as a graduate what you have graduated with cant be changed what you can influence is your professional life,try and look for a professional exams that is in line with your chosen field and go for it,would be employers these days look for how well you have improved and invested on yourself.

I graduated with a 2.1 from Unilorin and these has not really given me any added advantage but i went on to enroll for ICAN and am now an Assiciate Chartered Accountant,this has added more value to me than the so called 2.1.

For undergraduates strike hard to get a 2.1 so you can take advantage of opportunites coming from oil firms,Big audit firms(KPMG,PWC etc) and banks.

8 Likes

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by holubee21(m): 2:40pm On Oct 13, 2019
I want u to know some third class in some universities are equivalent to some first class and 2.1. so my guy believe in yourself. Let grace speak for u

2 Likes

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Amarabae(f): 2:42pm On Oct 13, 2019
It's OK.
Second class lower division is atleast better than third class .
Grade should not define you, equip yourself with skills.
Modern skills.
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Fountainofyouth(f): 2:42pm On Oct 13, 2019
Sirvingeo:

it will definitely hinder you from applying in some openings where they out-rightly earmark a minimum of 2.1 grade. But my dear grade does not matter this days in the labor market . what is really in demand is your skills .

True, cos I know of a third class working in an oil company, it hurts my soul anytime I remember cry

1 Like

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Nobody: 2:42pm On Oct 13, 2019
Business123:
I earn very good 6 digits with my 2.2, no godfather, no helper, started with 70k salary 6 years ago, started gaining experience and certifications, so within about 5-6 years of actively working I have been able to fight my way to where I am. Now no company can discriminate against me.

2.2 is not a bad degree, what you do next determinimes your testimony within 5 years from now. Your friends with 2.1 might have it easier than you now, because they will get more job invites than you, but within 5 years, if you are wise, patient and stategize things will be fine. Your destiny is in your hands.
Plz give me ur next salary sir. cheesy
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by airminem(f): 2:44pm On Oct 13, 2019
2.2 isnt bad. Go after a skilled trade anytime
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by 2018PROFSUNDAY: 2:44pm On Oct 13, 2019
2.2 is not bad results just have to believe in yourself that you can attain a Zenith in live with the help of God.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by PatrickOkunima(m): 2:45pm On Oct 13, 2019
Even 2:2 get category. I didn't know this until I applied for an M.Sc. program. With anything below 3.0, you can't go for an M.Sc. or M.A. directly, atleast here in Nigeria.
kamtrix:
Happy Sunday guys. I want to know, for a graduate, is a 2.2 a bad result? Does it hinder one from certain opportunities and does it make employers not Like you?

Please help

2 Likes

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by TOPCRUISE(m): 2:46pm On Oct 13, 2019
It's only a bad grade in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Offpoint: 2:49pm On Oct 13, 2019
If 2.2 grade wanna make you sad or worry about yourself... get an eraser, erase the 2 out and replace it with 1.

Order a bottle of beer, drink and celebrate. life's too short to worry over grade.

Get yourself some skill or certification... and you'll be glad you had 2.2

2 Likes

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by mercyviv(f): 2:50pm On Oct 13, 2019
Having a 2.2 means you have a balanced life; you're both sociable as well as intelligent. Anything above 2.2 is too booky and less sociable, but below 2.2...well, read between the lines... grin grin
Meanwhile...
Are you a teacher?
Get FREE access to the best compilation of school lesson notes/plans, curriculum and exams. Visit my signature for details...

2 Likes

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Kerfuffle: 2:50pm On Oct 13, 2019
2.2 is an average grade but in the Nigerian context is a big limitation when applying for many GT jobs. Don't let it limit you though, develop yourself in other ways (certifications/skills etc).

To undergraduates, FACE your studies and avoid any form of "Had I known".

5 Likes

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by BlueRayDick: 2:50pm On Oct 13, 2019
It's not a bad grade. Its just that u won't be able to get into graduate trainee programs of big 4's( PWC, KPMG, Delloitte and Ernest and young), banks and some big organizations who insist on 2.1 for their graduate trainee program.

However, there's more to this life than working getting into graduate trainee of those aforementioned companies. If u get into some other companies and excel, those aforementioned companies will call u for a chat as an experienced hire and u will get better offer and pay. wink

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Worldbest281: 2:50pm On Oct 13, 2019
Pray for grace

1 Like

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by SavageResponse(m): 2:51pm On Oct 13, 2019
Business123:
I earn very good 6 digits with my 2.2, no godfather, no helper, started with 70k salary 6 years ago, started gaining experience and certifications, so within about 5-6 years of actively working I have been able to fight my way to where I am. Now no company can discriminate against me.

2.2 is not a bad degree, what you do next determinimes your testimony within 5 years from now. Your friends with 2.1 might have it easier than you now, because they will get more job invites than you, but within 5 years, if you are wise, patient and stategize things will be fine. Your destiny is in your hands.

I concur!
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by EmptyCoconutHead(m): 2:52pm On Oct 13, 2019
kamtrix:

Please help
it's a shame.
The money your community spent to send u to school has been wasted.
You and I know that the labour market is literally filled up with graduates and even those with a 2:1 find it hard to even get employment and you're here asking for opportunities for a 2:2.
What made u not to be serious with school? Now that girl has left u and see your life for outside now
Hahahhahaa
Better go and learn work my friend.

3 Likes

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by dave4rella(m): 2:52pm On Oct 13, 2019
grin
If you graduate with that grade
You better start searching for govt job
Or have connections
If not.. Oyo is your case

I know how many times I bleeped, sucked and drove my female lecturer boo, before I graduated with 2.1

The mark where she bit me during of the bj session is still on my dick

5 Likes

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by saajus: 2:53pm On Oct 13, 2019
Generally, 2.2 is not a bad grade. I have some friends who get scholarships for Masters abroad with 2.2. Most of them have PhD now. The question I always ask myself is, did I give all. If I could satisfy my conscience that I gave all but circumstances beyond my control caused me to be 3rd best, then I will be good.

4 Likes

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by Ashirioluwa: 2:53pm On Oct 13, 2019
kamtrix:

Please help
It depends on the society and your own situation.
In our society 2.2 is not a good grade because those with better grades can't even find a job. Your case might be different if you know people.

This is not a good grade to use to look for job in Nigeria.

It is not a bad grade if you are going to business. If you want to work for yourself.

Note: life reality is beyond classroom settings. Having 2.2 doesn't mean you are not smart. Many people don't go to school but they still make it in real world.

1 Like

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by DenreleDave(m): 2:54pm On Oct 13, 2019
zionmde:
Bro Take this advice from me
First class and second class upper can get u a graduate Trainee job which is very competitive today. But it will take a whole lot of career upgrade to get it other jobs.
A practical example
A 2.2 graduate of Logistics with CIPS, CILT, SCM Certifications coupled with other notable trainings is far more valuable and has bigger job prospects than a 2.1 graduate of the same Course who doesn't have any of those.

Yes gun for 2.1 and above, but if u don't succeed in getting it, den while others are waiting for Nysc, doing Nysc, waiting for jobs, go ahead and try to gather experience through training and certifications. Now don't ask me where is the money? Ur mind is d capital u need

As an intending finance graduate, what kind of certification can I do to acquire more skill, I prefer ict stuff, Pls help

1 Like

Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by seanjy4konji: 2:54pm On Oct 13, 2019
AwkaetitiBabe:
Mine is inside my box gathering dust... grin

last time I saw mine was 2012-13.itsinside the bottom of clothes in the travelling Bag.alwaars at the bottom.
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by ClinicalHope(f): 2:54pm On Oct 13, 2019
Do not let 2.2 weigh you down or define your future. If you want to be a career person then I suggest you go for a master program of your choice. Another option is, take short courses online and build yourself if you are looking to pursue a different experience.
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by enemyofprogress: 2:54pm On Oct 13, 2019
Very very bad. It's like not going to school at all
Re: Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? by harizonal123(m): 2:55pm On Oct 13, 2019
kamtrix:

Please help
Ask Buhari who is using an affidavit

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? / LAUTECH 2013/2014 Admission / UNIOSUN Lecturer, Sesan, Seen Flogging 200 Level English Department Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.