Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,924 members, 7,810,554 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:59 AM

Android, Anyone? - Phones (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Android, Anyone? (182645 Views)

Where Can I Get The Oneplus One Android. Anyone? / Icmp Isssh Android Anyone droid vpn + bis? / Android, Anyone? Part II (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (112) (Go Down)

Re: Android, Anyone? by ciscostaz: 6:57am On Dec 27, 2010
and more,

Re: Android, Anyone? by ciscostaz: 7:05am On Dec 27, 2010
and,

Re: Android, Anyone? by otumfour(m): 4:49pm On Dec 27, 2010
THE NEW SAMSUNG GALAXY PLAYER

It seems that Samsung is readying an answer to the iPod Touch which is scheduled to be announced at CES next week (yes, I can finally say next week). The device supposedly dubbed the Galaxy Player, will be very much like the Galaxy S we have all come to know quite well The Galaxy Player will feature a 1GHz processor, a 4- inch WVGA LCD display, SoundAlive audio enhancement technology, dual cameras, HD video playback support, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 3.0 and Froyo. Also the device is rumored to be coming in three flavors 8GB, 16GB and 32GB. Pricing and a release date is unknown at this point, but I’m sure we’ll be finding out in a few weeks

*pictures will be attached later
Re: Android, Anyone? by ciscostaz: 6:34am On Dec 28, 2010
Have you installed Pulse? If not, then do that immediately. it is one of the most popular and powerful application for reading latest info from gizmodo, lifehacker, engadget and lots more. it is addictive. you will love it. Give it a try today. it is free on the android market.
Re: Android, Anyone? by hopeme1111: 8:31am On Dec 29, 2010
I have samsung galaxy s 16gb , 3months of usage,still clean with froyo on it for sell.its going for 75k, if interested call me on 08037121117,am in lagos.
Re: Android, Anyone? by Nobody: 3:01am On Jan 09, 2011
I'm due for an upgrade, HTC desire HD or Iphone 4?

Hear android is quite advanced now undecided
Re: Android, Anyone? by Ehisod(m): 8:29pm On Jan 09, 2011
donspony
Re: Android,any One?
« #357 on: Today at 03:01:15 AM »

I'm due for an upgrade, HTC desire HD or Iphone 4?

Hear android is quite advanced now Undecided

Guy, am not saying the iphone is not good but with the defective build and all, common go for desire HD or wait a little for the LG optimus, android 4 life
Re: Android, Anyone? by ezeuba(m): 7:39pm On Jan 29, 2011
Glad to have stumbled upon this thread. I've used plenty of smart phones, from Motorola Q to some Nokia models. I just got into Android recently; bought a Droid Incredible (CDMA) on ebay, and this beats everything I've used before now. Sometimes I have to remind myself "it's still a phone". Every fantasy I've been having about smartphones is now reality. This phone is really INCREDIBLE (pardon the emphasis). Now I'm having a kind of addiction to Android phones; I just put up my BB Storm 2 for sale here on nairaland. I'm buying another HTC Android phone for my GSM line. Where will I start? Anyway, once you root your phone, it truly becomes yours; you can do anything you want on it. I took mine for a spin the first week. I installed and tried out practically every ROM out there (even tried Cyanogenmod 7 Nightlies - Gingerbread 2.3 via ROM Manager Premium) before finally settling with the Original HTC Sense ROM (Froyo) that came with the phone; I just removed the network related bloatware (the phone was on Verizon, brand new but had bad ESN, so I reprogrammed for the CDMA network where I work). Since then it has been bliss. I even sleep with the phone tight on my chest every night. It's just a pity phone dealers in Nigeria do not really follow trends, else they would have been stocking up on Android phones and eased off on the Nokias and other dying models. I don't think there is one HTC dealer in Nigeria; I stand to be corrected please. Let me know about how much you love your 'Droids. A snapshot of the phone is attached. pardon thegrainy pic, that was my BB Storm 2's camera.
Cheers,

Re: Android, Anyone? by Nobody: 8:17pm On Jan 29, 2011
hey bro how much did u get ur driod?
Re: Android, Anyone? by ezeuba(m): 8:56pm On Jan 29, 2011
I bought it off ebay. It depends actually. In my case, I needed a CDMA phone so I went searching for new one with BAD ESN. These are programmable CDMA phones (no sim), but have problems with their ESN electronic serial number) such that they cannot be activated on the original network they were meant for. Hence, if you know about phone programming you can buy such phones and program them for another CDMA network. These bad esn phones come a bit cheaper, and they are in most cases new. I got mine for $275 (but I had to pay someone who got it for me with his paypal account at the rate of =N=171 to $1, when the market rate was =N=157 to $1, this is because ebay primarily prefers paypal) Then I had to pay for shipping from the USA because most ebay sellers will never ship to Nigeria. Altogether it cost me a pretty penny but I am not regretting it at all. The phone's performance more than compensates for the trouble I went through to get it here.

Search through ebay, but know the kind of Droid you want; there are GSM as well as CDMA Droids. Mine is CDMA because I work for a CDMA network and my data plan suits the phone well, 5GB per month @ =N=4,000 only.

Let me know if you want more info. And did I tell you, Droids on Froyo play flash media too. Now let's hear that from Iphone fanboys, grin
Re: Android, Anyone? by lynxnoon(m): 1:24pm On Jan 31, 2011
@ezeuba
pls i would like to get more info on getting n connecting an android cdma to a nigerian cdma network.
pls can u add my yim (lynxnoon) so we can chat?
tnx
Re: Android, Anyone? by texazzpete(m): 5:33pm On Jan 31, 2011
lynxnoon:

@ezeuba
pls i would like to get more info on getting n connecting an android cdma to a nigerian cdma network.
pls can u add my yim (lynxnoon) so we can chat?
tnx

Just buy a Droid 2 Global. CDMA + GSM, best of both worlds.

ezeuba:

It's just a pity phone dealers in Nigeria do not really follow trends, else they would have been stocking up on Android phones and eased off on the Nokias and other dying models. I don't think there is one HTC dealer in Nigeria; I stand to be corrected please.

It's a pity you don't know trends. Blackberry and Nokia still remain the major forces in the Nigeria Market today. Android is still in its infancy here.
Re: Android, Anyone? by lynxnoon(m): 9:56pm On Jan 31, 2011
texazzpete:

Just buy a Droid 2 Global. CDMA + GSM, best of both worlds.
yeah. . . but i would like to know what cdma coys in naija allow use of phones not issued by them and how to go about it.
Tnx
Re: Android, Anyone? by na2day(m): 1:36am On Feb 02, 2011
[size=13pt]Android topples Symbian as the world's most popular smartphone operating system[/size]

Google's Android operating system has dethroned Nokia's Symbian as the world leader in smartphone software.

The change ends a reign that began with the birth of the industry a decade ago, according to figures released by analysts Canalys.

In total, 32.9million Android-equipped phones were sold globally during the last quarter of 2010 - roughly seven times more than during the same time period in 2009 - compared to Symbian sales of 31million.

The rapid turnaround highlights how quickly Google, which offers its software to phone makers for free, has raced to the top of the smartphone market ahead of Apple's rapid ascension.

Google and Apple have revolutionised the smartphone market, sending Nokia scrambling.

But the numbers also highlight Google's success in battling Apple, whose shipments of its popular iPhone increased to 16.2million from 8.7million in the fourth quarter of 2009, when it almost doubled Android's sales of 4.7million.

Unlike Apple or Nokia, Google does not make its own phone hardware, but instead offers its Android operating system to other phone makers who can adapt it to suit their devices.

As a result of this and being free of charge, Android has become the standard software for many phone makers.

Aside from smartphones, Google also gained on Apple in tablet computers, where its market share rose to 22 per cent in the fourth quarter, while Apple's share fell to 75 per cent from 95 per cent, according to Strategy Analytics.

In fact, only Nokia, Apple and Research In Motion Ltd have so far resisted using Android software.

Google has moved to take on Apple in mobile applications, an area in which the iPhone maker has prevailed.

A big part of Apple's success in selling iPhone is its ability to attract hundreds of thousands of third-party software developers to create apps for everything from weather forecasts to weight-loss.

While Google has also courted third-party developers, its Android Marketplace still lags far behind Apple's in size.

Meanwhile, the Symbian system has suffered from the troubles of its owner and main user, Nokia, which now barely has a presence in the giant U.S. marketplace.

When Android arrived in the third quarter of 2008, Symbian's share of the global smartphone market was close to 50 per cent. While Google's share has increased to 33 per cent, Nokia's has fallen to less than 31 per cent.

As a result some experts said this may mean Nokia will announce plans to introduce smartphone models using Android.

source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1352426/Googles-Android-tops-Nokias-Symbian-popular-smartphone-says-Canalys.html

grin grin grin
Re: Android, Anyone? by ifyalways(f): 6:19pm On Feb 02, 2011
I have a samsung Galaxy but the only things i can operate are:
Make calls.
Receive calls.
Send and recieve sms.
I use my samsung b7330 and Nokia effectively.
Re: Android, Anyone? by na2day(m): 11:06pm On Feb 02, 2011
ifyalways:

I have a samsung Galaxy but the only things i can operate are:
Make calls.
Receive calls.
Send and recieve sms.
I use my samsung b7330 and Nokia effectively.

shocked shocked shocked
U don't say?
The marketplace is your friend, use it and download applications that will make the sgs ur best friend,
Don't be afraid to experiment, u cant break it, download as many as u can, if u dont like any, u can uninstall.
There are many people who are dying to lay their hands on ur shiny baby! grin
Re: Android, Anyone? by ifyalways(f): 2:39pm On Feb 03, 2011
na2day!:

shocked shocked shocked
U don't say?
The marketplace is your friend, use it and download applications that will make the sgs your best friend,
Don't be afraid to experiment, u cant break it, download as many as u can, if u dont like any, u can uninstall.
There are many people who are dying to lay their hands on your shiny baby! grin

lol
True,the phone is too complicated for my archaic eyes and a55.
I wud be giving it out soon to an Undergrad,he wud made good use of it. smiley
Re: Android, Anyone? by DoubleN(m): 10:18am On Feb 04, 2011
Finally decided to settle for a Motorola Driod 2 Global. Let the pimping begin! wink
Re: Android, Anyone? by lynxnoon(m): 3:04pm On Feb 04, 2011
@Double N
hmmmm bigz boi!! so na u buy the last copy? wink
anyhow sha let d pimping begin grin grin
Try Starcomms on it lets see how far. . . . .
Re: Android, Anyone? by DoubleN(m): 3:29pm On Feb 04, 2011
lynxnoon:

@Double N
hmmmm bigz boi!! so na u buy the last copy? wink
anyhow sha let d pimping begin grin grin
Try Starcomms on it lets see how far. . . . .
Bros mi!!!!!!Na so I see am o!Wetin man go do?Na so so apps I dey load since. grin.

NB, Posted from Double N's Droid 2 Global.
Re: Android, Anyone? by na2day(m): 5:04am On Feb 05, 2011
Double N:

Finally decided to settle for a Motorola Driod 2 Global. Let the pimping begin! wink

Talking of pimping,
Have u seen the xda developer's nightlies for CM7 (Android 2.3)?
cheesy
Re: Android, Anyone? by DoubleN(m): 6:28am On Feb 05, 2011
na2day!:

Talking of pimping,
Have u seen the xda developer's nightlies for CM7 (Android 2.3)?
cheesy
I haven't seen it yet o! What is it about?
Re: Android, Anyone? by na2day(m): 7:27am On Feb 05, 2011
Cm7 is cyanogen mod 7, its a custom Rom of gingerbread i.e. Android 2.3, its currently under development for major Android handsets, u can be a beta tester and post ur observations on xda.
Cm7 is blazingly fast, and comes wit some other nice addons like graphic equalizer etc
Make a nandroid backup of ur present Rom b4 installation. If u dont like it, u can restore the backup.
Re: Android, Anyone? by DoubleN(m): 7:48am On Feb 05, 2011
I see, Just like in the case of iphone where you can cook an ios image with spirit and use to jailbreak the phone. I will give it a try sha but not until I am 100% sure that the rom is not buggy cos I can't afford to brick this phone wink. Make this Motorola people do quick begin send Gingebread jor! grin
Re: Android, Anyone? by na2day(m): 8:03am On Feb 05, 2011
It's impossible to brick ur phone while installing the Rom, infact the half life of a Rom on my phone is just a week,d essence is to be more intimate with ur phone's inner workings, anyways, I derive a lot of joy in using these new OS b4 everyone join d bandwagon,
It's like I said before its still in a beta phase, its quite buggy, and also fun to see the new speed and features.
I was clocking about 70 metaflop on Linpack
U'll really have to wait for Motorola to bring out gingerbread.
Re: Android, Anyone? by DoubleN(m): 8:12am On Feb 05, 2011
In that case,to xda developers I go! Let the rooting and cooking begin. grin
Re: Android, Anyone? by na2day(m): 8:24am On Feb 05, 2011
Try and install titanium backup app to make a backup of ur apps (u can restore ur old apps from the backup to the new Rom) and Rom manager app to make a backup of ur Rom. U can get them in d marketplace for free.
All these are possible if ur phone is rooted.
Re: Android, Anyone? by na2day(m): 10:25am On Feb 05, 2011
ANDROID BUYING ADVICE

This is Probably one of the best buying advice when it comes to Android phones. Forget screen size and dual core and megapixel counts for a second, just listen to this:
Never buy a phone on the promise that it might get upgraded someday. Buy it for the features and the software that it comes with today. Period.

That is literally going to be the cornerstone of my shopping advice whenever someone asks me what phone they should get. Every day I hear from people wondering when this upgrade is coming to this phone. And if Google keeps updating Android, which they will, the cycle will never stop and inevitably some phones will get left out in the cold. Granted, there are sometimes other upgrade avenues available via the developer community. Yes, even the original Android phone, the T-Mobile G1, has a version of Gingerbread ported to it.
A fair amount of the phones announced at CES last month are said to come with Android 2.2, of course quickly followed up with a promise to upgrade to Gingerbread. I’m willing to bet one or more of those devices may not see it for another year. What version of Android will we be on then?
If you bought a new car, then next year’s model came out with some new fangled feature, would you take it back to the dealer begging them to add the feature to your car? Probably not.
If you’re going to buy a phone and sign away two years of your life to a carrier to get it at a good price, make sure you can either be happy with that phone, as-is, for two years. Or be able to afford to upgrade early. Or find an alternative way to update the software as mentioned earlier.
Re: Android, Anyone? by texazzpete(m): 12:33pm On Feb 05, 2011
na2day!:

Yes, its still quite buggy, I used it to download some apps this morning, I'm yet to see d apps on my phone

it isn't buggy. it's a known issue affecting some users running custom roms.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (112)

The Galaxy A Series! / How To Stop Automatic Touches On Screens Of Your Android Phones And Tablet / How To Turn WhatsApp Off Without Turning-Off Your Data

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.