Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,167 members, 7,815,064 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:41 AM

Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets - Food (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets (28042 Views)

Despite Importation Ban, Foreign Rice Floods Nigerian Markets / Rice Price Rises By 29.41%, In Two Months Following Border Closure / Border Closure: Ogoja Rice To Hit Market With Reduced Price At N14,000 Per 50-kg (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Empredboy(m): 8:37am On Nov 03, 2019
Iamgrey5:
Nigeria imports 75% of items through the port of Benin

Yet, we have nearly seven different ports in Nigeria that are under used..
say what you know.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by naijadrivablog: 8:41am On Nov 03, 2019
Beremx:
Even America imports stock fish. Stop being ignorant. Nigeria is not the only country that imports stockfish. Do you know how rich stockfish is? Google it Up

I am sure I am your uncle's mate. Did I say it is only Nigeria that imports it Lazy kids on this forum!!!
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Afobear: 8:41am On Nov 03, 2019
chronique:

I tire for them. They would just utter stupid things to justify everything govt does. Apparently, most people do not know that there are certain types of fishes not found in Nigerian waters and the few types found in Nigerian waters are pretty expensive. Even catfish being farmed here is more expensive than frozen fishes being imported.

What do they know ? Bunch of illiterates I share a country with
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by BleedTears: 8:43am On Nov 03, 2019
nototribalist:
The media houses need to stop all these propaganda news they're dishing out every day.

Why should Benin republic import everything from their port and make money on our behalf. How can a small country import more bags of rice than their population.

Even though I don't like Buhari, but this border closure has exposed so many people like people who import Palm oil, like seriously Palm oil? You have the mind to smuggle Palm oil into Nigeria? Like seriously are we mad? SS and SE are flooded with Palm oil. Some people are now importing already made stew from China, go to ShopRite you will see already made stew, like seriously are we mad in this country? Even vegetable oil, Rice, stock fish, cloths, salt, tomato paste, and frozen chicken.

It's game over for Benin republic, cos they've been cheating us for decades now.

It's also game over for Ghanaians who comes to Nigeria to buy products that are subsidized with our Dollar, and they still have the audacity to be locking Nigerian shops for years.

I even thought that Ghanaians travels to Asia and Europe to buy products, I didn't know they're squeezing products out of Nigeria. I was watching their TV news as Ghanaian traders were interviewed on how it's affecting their business.

One extension hair seller said she's in trouble cos she has ran out of stock and customers are complaining cos Xmas is around the corner.

The other one said he went to Ladipo to buy motor spare parts but he couldn't carry the goods out of Nigeria. So they depends on Nigerian goods but they're the ones who hate Nigeria the most in West Africa.

That border will remain closed till 2050. Period.

Media houses continue the propaganda news, good thing Buhari can't read.

My brother so on point.

This African countries essentially Ghana need to respect us. Even 2050 that border should not be opened.

They should use cargo planes to come shop in Nigeria since they think they have the money.

Or they should go to other countries.

1 Like

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Empredboy(m): 8:43am On Nov 03, 2019
Sam0:
when the desirable is not available make the available desirable.Better,go for the one that have close substitute to stockfish. the scarcity will not be forever. That is why economics is in our educational syllabus.
what is soup without stock fish to an Igbo man? Even in bride price stock fish is listed. We igbos won't accept that
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Beremx(f): 8:47am On Nov 03, 2019
naijadrivablog:

I am sure I am your uncle's mate. Did I say it is only Nigeria that imports it Lazy kids on this forum!!!
You call me a kid? Lol
Anyway, nairaland is a faceless forum. All of us na mate
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by ikorodureporta: 8:48am On Nov 03, 2019
clueless govt
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by edoairways: 8:51am On Nov 03, 2019
nototribalist:
The media houses need to stop all these propaganda news they're dishing out every day.

Why should Benin republic import everything from their port and make money on our behalf. How can a small country import more bags of rice than their population.

Even though I don't like Buhari, but this border closure has exposed so many people like people who import Palm oil, like seriously Palm oil? You have the mind to smuggle Palm oil into Nigeria? Like seriously are we mad? SS and SE are flooded with Palm oil. Some people are now importing already made stew from China, go to ShopRite you will see already made stew, like seriously are we mad in this country? Even vegetable oil, Rice, stock fish, cloths, salt, tomato paste, and frozen chicken.

It's game over for Benin republic, cos they've been cheating us for decades now.

It's also game over for Ghanaians who comes to Nigeria to buy products that are subsidized with our Dollar, and they still have the audacity to be locking Nigerian shops for years.

I even thought that Ghanaians travels to Asia and Europe to buy products, I didn't know they're squeezing products out of Nigeria. I was watching their TV news as Ghanaian traders were interviewed on how it's affecting their business.

One extension hair seller said she's in trouble cos she has ran out of stock and customers are complaining cos Xmas is around the corner.

The other one said he went to Ladipo to buy motor spare parts but he couldn't carry the goods out of Nigeria. So they depends on Nigerian goods but they're the ones who hate Nigeria the most in West Africa.

I concur

1 Like

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Bigcowhorn: 8:51am On Nov 03, 2019
BafanaBafana:
Is it that there are no stock fish in our waters of that there is no one to catch them?

grin Its a good thing you asked a tricky question and did not state a fact. Stockfish is cod. It lives in the icy warters of the North Atlantic only. The seas around Norway, Finland etc are its home.

1 Like

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by nototribalist: 8:51am On Nov 03, 2019
Afonja007:
and your happy that Ghanaians can not take what they bought in Nigeria home?traders are the ones paying the price

Please, them no dey use one road enter market
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Empredboy(m): 8:52am On Nov 03, 2019
Perkins1:
The borders are not closed! You have anything to import... Go through the ports or cargo.

All these tears na from smugglers.

No more complaint of rice now it's stockfish small time we will complain of no Knockouts to blow at Christmas!
grin
So you as an importer will import your perishables in our port then spend 1 month to clear while Cotonuo will take 36 hours to clear then 1 day at the border. Knowing well that the duty you pay in the port and land is the same

1 Like

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by spyg1(m): 8:54am On Nov 03, 2019
GuestLog:
Hmmmm! You Buhari supportesupportersr talk dumb a times. What do you mean by start a fish farm. Do you mean we should start stockfish farming in Nigeria?

Do you even know what a life stockfish look like?
If we are incubating infants. why can't we start a stockfish farm? Let's reason like adult, seize the opportunity and blow.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by edoairways: 8:54am On Nov 03, 2019
Onlydaughter:
Not just stock fish, sellers have taken advantage of border closure to increase the price of everything in the market.

I hope this is a way forward sha. Let us not come and suffer in vain eventually.
The price will come down with time. Same sellers will complain of low patronage soonest
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by SocialJustice: 8:59am On Nov 03, 2019
hisgrace090:
And ordinary ice fish is as costly as gold in the market now.
Nigerian businessmen will travel to Europe to buy fishing trawler and convert it to tanker, buy diesel to Nigeria and sell in vessel to vessel transfer then put it in the business of mothership offloading. Nobody buys fishing trawler to actually fish anymore. We have abandoned every sector in agriculture in favour of oil. If we want to eat cheap fish then we should buy our trawlers and catch our own fish. We can't be importing everything. This is part of the reason there is joblessness in Nigeria.

I pray the next 10 presidents Nigeria has maintain Buhari's legacy of food self sufficiency.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Hoephase: 8:59am On Nov 03, 2019
nototribalist:

Which kind free trade. We've been warning about foreign regions using smaller African countries as conduit to flood our market with products.

Africans risk their life in the Mediterranean Sea just to go work in a poultry house. Meanwhile frozen chicken are being sold to us in Africa.

Why can't people start fish and poultry farms, Africa have the land mass that are so empty waiting for it's citizens to start something. But no, we want the easy way out

How many fish farm and poultry do you have?
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Nobody: 9:00am On Nov 03, 2019
Empredboy:
what do we really have in abundance that wont increase the local price?
That is why a reasonable government will work to see why these things are not in abundance before banning. There is and there will still be foreign rice. The only thing this ban is meant for is to increase price of rice and maybe increase the hardship on Nigerians
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by ednut1(m): 9:01am On Nov 03, 2019
GuestLog:
Noted. Maybe you should research on why people choose Cotuonu port than Apapa.

Let me give you a hint
*High Taxes & Tariffs
*Theft & Vandalism
*Unstable import laws
*Bad road network
*Stress

To name a few.
true. Fuel in benin is almost double what it is nigeria. All countries cant have same prices and tariffs

1 Like

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Nobody: 9:02am On Nov 03, 2019
noble71:
Nigerians can complain for Africa!!!
Price of rice has increased! Yes! Why not go into agriculture and make millions.

There is stock fish scarcity why not go into fish farming and make millions.

They will complain that unemployment rate has increased but I see lots of opportunities to make money in this closed border.

China developed because their government ban importation of many things.
I support this border closure! It's just that the timing was wrong.

What about insecurity caused by terrorist and weapons illegally entering the country?

What about savings in fuel importation we will make from stopping the illegal smuggling of our subsidized fuel out of the country.
This yueltide may the first one in decades in which we may not experience fuel scarcity.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by airbrush: 9:03am On Nov 03, 2019
nototribalist:

jesus with senseless comments like this i really fear for this country
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Lewisalexander(m): 9:05am On Nov 03, 2019
jesmond3945:
go into fish farming simple

Okoro. Stock fish can only be found in the ocean
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by SocialJustice: 9:06am On Nov 03, 2019
netpro:
Instead of wailing, this should motivate folks to venture into Agric business like Fishing.
ice fish is not farmed, we need businessmen to buy trawlers and start catching ice fish for local consumption.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Omoboricash(m): 9:08am On Nov 03, 2019
nototribalist:

Guy u just succeeded in making open my � with ur last statement, " good thing Buhari can't read"
Honestly closure of our porous border is the best thing to do. Imagine Benin Republic that the population was less than 12M is 6th importer of rice in whole world. It really beat my imagination. Let the boarder remains closed.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by gwinaB(m): 9:09am On Nov 03, 2019
Stock fish mostly come to Nigeria through the sea from the Scandinavia and not through the land.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by nzeobi(m): 9:10am On Nov 03, 2019
jesmond3945:
go into fish farming simple
please i have over 3000 fishes all weighing atleast 1kg for sale, please if you know anybody that can buy bulk please let me know.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Empredboy(m): 9:11am On Nov 03, 2019
CyberWolf:
See bros, I don’t like This APC administration but let’s tell ourselves the truth, this border closure is in the right direction. If we keep telling ourselves that it’s not yet time, it’s not the right time, we will never do it. Is it gonna be difficult initially? Yes but in the long run, the positive impact will be felt for ages to come. All countries that are self sufficient started this way and keep improving so, if they can do it, we also can do it. China did it, Singapore did it, Malaysia did it so, why can’t we do it? ..... Abeg let’s tell ourselves the truth.
you didn't tell us that these country has good roads to transport their goods cheaply, there is constant power supply so no need of cost of generator and diesel, the cost of production in this countries are cheap because of government input. Please did your government provide all these before making this policy? In Cotonuo it cost me #2200 to produce a 25kg good quality chicken feed but cost me #2850 early this year in Nigeria before I relocated to Benin rep. No serious, minded producer will like to produce in Nigeria because of high cost and harassments from touts and government officials who are after different levy and charges. Come to Cotonuo and see government support in business. Tell government to put basic amenities in place and see if manufacturers won't rush in

2 Likes

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by SocialJustice: 9:12am On Nov 03, 2019
MoIbrahim:
BABA HAS CREATED BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY

My brother, it's not called change o. It's called BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY GALORE. While we are here grumbling, some sharp people are already investing more in fish farming and poultry and will make millions in our very own eyes while we are praying upandan for business opportunities to come.

Meanwhile, to all Bubu haters...

Guy I dey tell you. Your sense correct. While the ignorant ones who make the bulk of people here are complaining, guys are looking for funds to launch into the NEXT LEVEL.

I swear, Buhari is surprising me.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Nobody: 9:12am On Nov 03, 2019
jamillion:
Effect of the recent closure of Nigerian border by federal government have not only affect rice importation but also seems to be taking a toll on other forign commodities in Nigerian markets. Stock fish as one among the rest is becoming scarce in the market and the little, one can get from grocery shops are being sold in unusual prizes. People of God, do you think this is a good pointer to a better Nigeria?

The thing tire me ooo...was in the markit on Wednesday to buy soup condiments and stock fish i usually get for 6, 7 hundred I got for 1300... Like seriously it was not funny but wetin man pikin go do.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by netpro(m): 9:13am On Nov 03, 2019
SocialJustice:
ice fish is not farmed, we need businessmen to buy trawlers and start catching ice fish for local consumption.

I don't know if those species grow well in our waters. If it does, that will be great.
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by hollowpot15684(m): 9:14am On Nov 03, 2019
jamillion:
Effect of the recent closure of Nigerian border by federal government have not only affect rice importation but also seems to be taking a toll on other forign commodities in Nigerian markets. Stock fish as one among the rest is becoming scarce in the market and the little, one can get from grocery shops are being sold in unusual prizes. People of God, do you think this is a good pointer to a better Nigeria?

Are you asking if scarcity of stock fish in the market is a pointer that Nigeria is a better country?
You can't ask such question because, border closure is of profit than loss in a long run. Bare the pain now and things will balance it's very soon
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by SocialJustice: 9:18am On Nov 03, 2019
netpro:

I don't know if those species grow well in our waters. If it does, that will be great.
The Bight of Bonny should be loaded with them. If Nigerian businessmen fail to seize the opportunities, foreigners will soon jump in to take it all and sell to us.

1 Like

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Empredboy(m): 9:19am On Nov 03, 2019
edoairways:

The price will come down with time. Same sellers will complain of low patronage soonest
tell me the price of things that has ever come down in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Ibime(m): 9:20am On Nov 03, 2019
naijadrivablog:
Hmm. I am blessed to know a former Deputy Director of NAQS and he told me how he went to Tromsø to see how stock fish are cured and after that trip, he doesn't eat stock fish again.

The Norwegians that produce this stock fish (okporoko) don't eat it. It is for export only.

Oga leave that thing. Okporoko became an important ingredient in our soups because we found a way to make it work in a way the Scandinavians could not.

Yes it is freeze dried for months in the open. This is what the Vikings used to conquer the world over 10,000 years ago. It was one of the only foodstuff you could put on a ship that would not go rotten so it fueled their stomachs for long sea journeys.

The Scandinavian taste has moved on, however we have found a way to make it an important part of our soups. Same way the English no longer eat tripe (shaki) and ponmo, that does not mean we should stop eating it.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

How to Make Kidney Beans Sauce (Pictures, Video) / See The Carrots & Onions I Bought For N400 In Asaba This Morning (Photos) / Amazing Gigantic Wedding Cake (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.