Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,267 members, 7,811,761 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:08 PM

My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) (39486 Views)

3 Reasons You Need To Start A Cashew Business(with pictures) / 4 Challenges Of Setting Up A Side Income And Working Full-time / What's The Cost Of Setting Up A Petrol Filling Station In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:50am On Apr 30, 2020
TenthMan:

Good evening Sir.

I have been following your thread/topic and quite impressed with your level of progress. Your achievements are exemplary and commendable.

In the midst of the current lock down and the Covid-19 pandemic, I will like to have your opinion and your observations on how this affected your business. As you are aware, the lock down created difficulties in moving about amongst other issues.

Could your please provide a summary on how the situation affected;

Your factors of production i.e. Capital (materials, etc), labor, land, etc.
Your supply chain both for inputs and products produced
Your demand figures/rate.
Your bottom line/profit.
Your prognosis of the agri/agro allied business.

This will be very helpful to those interested in this line of business. I do hope you can have time to put up something for the enlightenment of a lot of us.

First, agriculture/food are part of the essential services not restricted by the lockdown so there was no restriction whatsoever.

Nevertheless,if you are not mobile,it will be difficult for you to coordinate your farm activities because commercial transport vehicles are restricted from movement.

Trucks with agro produced are also allow to move.
Although it takes longer hours before it reach market because of some overzealous police officers who always want to extort from truck drivers.
Most will be told to wait for hours before allowing them to pass checkpoints

During this lockdown, cultivating/producing perishable food are not advised because most of it will get wasted due to delays.

A lot of demand gap has been opened up due to the issue of covid-19, the demand impact will not be immediate but will be seen in few months- years to come.

Presently,there has been gradual sharp increase in food price.

Now is the best time to venture into agriculture.
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by TenthMan(m): 10:24am On Apr 30, 2020
Lesgupnigeria:

First, agriculture/food are part of the essential services not restricted by the lockdown so there was no restriction whatsoever.

Nevertheless,if you are not mobile,it will be difficult for you to coordinate your farm activities because commercial transport vehicles are restricted from movement.

Trucks with agro produced are also allow to move.
Although it takes longer hours before it reach market because of some overzealous police officers who always want to extort from truck drivers.
Most will be told to wait for hours before allowing them to pass checkpoints

During this lockdown, cultivating/producing perishable food are not advised because most of it will get wasted due to delays.

A lot of demand gap has been opened up due to the issue of covid-19, the demand impact will not be immediate but will be seen in few months- years to come.

Presently,there has been gradual sharp increase in food price.

Now is the best time to venture into agriculture.

Great response Sir, as always.

I fully understand the need for being mobile and how it is important part of the logistics in the business.
I am assuming that your workers stay on the farm or close by at least? Or how did the lock down affect them?
How did it affect other supplies like fertilizers and other stuff you might have required for the daily running of the farm. Consumables, I am talking about.?

It is a good thing that non perishables and cash crops were not adversely affected that much. The effects obviously would have been more if the lock-down had been extended.

1 Like

Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:05pm On Apr 30, 2020
TenthMan:

Great response Sir, as always.

I fully understand the need for being mobile and how it is important part of the logistics in the business.
I am assuming that your workers stay on the farm or close by at least? Or how did the lock down affect them?
How did it affect other supplies like fertilizers and other stuff you might have required for the daily running of the farm. Consumables, I am talking about.?

It is a good thing that non perishables and cash crops were not adversely affected that much. The effects obviously would have been more if the lock-down had been extended.

Thanks.
You are right.
Most of the workers are on the farm
Inputs are not really affected,you can easily access them;just that their prices go up during this time maybe due to logistics issues caused by covid-19
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 9:47am On May 01, 2020
Good morning and happy weekend
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 9:56am On May 02, 2020
Do agric....it pays
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 5:13pm On May 04, 2020
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 5:06pm On May 05, 2020
Use this #LOCKDOWN2020 to find alternative income. Post #Corvid19 will come with economic hardship, banks will lay off, FGN will implement the Orasanya Report, massive retrenchment looms. There is high possibility of inflation. THINK AGRICULTURE coz in every situation man go chop
Do Agric....it Pays

Follow my Facebook page for more updates on how to start a profitable agribusiness
www.facebook.com/waleagro

Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 5:55pm On May 08, 2020
If you are not involved in agriculture,then you need to think twice about it.

The economy has been going in this direction and if you are not involved before,then you are on a very long thing.

Want to know what profitable farm business to invest in ,then get in touch
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 9:54pm On May 13, 2020
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:12pm On May 16, 2020
Knowledge is key in the business of agriculture...
How do you get it?
Either by learning from people in the sector or by doing trial by error
If you learn from experienced people,you go faster and far,
How do experience people become experienced; it's because they have learn from the numerous mistakes/failures and gain knowledge from their successes.
And this is what this thread is all about
Teach you what to do,how to start and invest into farm business for guaranteed sustainable income

Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 9:48am On May 17, 2020
https://www.nairaland.com/4493487/how-setup-establish-own-cashew

Want to start cashew and start generating income for decades,then read this thread.
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 10:06am On May 18, 2020
Nothing is achieved without acquiring adequate knowledge especially in the business of agriculture.

To increase your yield,you need adequate knowledge
To profit,you need up-to-date information
To improve your capacity and capabilities,having proper know-how is necessary

You go as far as you know
That's why you need to always update yourself and regular networking cannot be wave aside.
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:17am On May 20, 2020
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 3:57pm On May 24, 2020
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 10:22am On May 25, 2020
Experience they say is the best teacher.

Few things I gathered from the school of hard knock; few setbacks and success.

As a newbie in the sector,how best can you invest and make money in the agriculture.

First,don't think agriculture is a quick rich scheme where you invest let's say few thousand of naira and expecting millions of naira in revenue within few months..

In fact,to make good revenue,you needs a lot of financial investment.

Secondly, you need a guide or mentor who has done it before to train you on what to do. Someone that will create an action plan for you to follow through.

Thirdly, find a mix of investment in crop and livestock to mitigate production risks.

Preferably a cash crop, and one of the profitable livestock.

There are right mix of crop and livestock agri-investments proven to be profitable over time.
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 9:35pm On May 25, 2020
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 6:46am On May 29, 2020
Good morning my people.
Every breaking day gives you an opportunity to work and succeed towards your goals this year.

Dont waste it
Do agric..it pays
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:20pm On May 29, 2020
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 12:10am On Jun 01, 2020
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 9:06am On Jun 01, 2020
A well known speaker started off his seminar by holding up a $20 bill. In the room of 200, he asked. "Who would like this $20 bill?"

Hands started going up. He said, "I am going to give this $20 to one of you - but first, let me do this."

He proceeded to crumple the 20 dollar note up. He then asked. "Who still wants it?" Still the hands were up in the air.

"Well," he replied, "what if I do this?" He dropped it on theground and started to grind it into the floor with his shoe. He picked it up, now crumpled and dirty. "Now, who still wants it?"

Still the hands went into the air.

"My friends, you have all learned a very valuable lesson. Nomatter what I did to the money, you still wanted it because it did not decrease in value. It was still worth $20.Many times in our lives, we are dropped, crumpled, and ground into the dirt by the decisions we make and the circumstances that come our way. We feel as though we are worthless; but no matter what happened or what will happen, you will never lose your value.

Dirty or clean, crumpled or finely creased, you are stillpriceless to those who love you. The worth of our lives comes, not in what we do or who we know, but by ...WHO WE ARE.

You are special - don't ever forget it."

Good morning
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 9:51am On Jun 02, 2020
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:31pm On Jun 02, 2020
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 4:44pm On Jun 03, 2020
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:01am On Jun 04, 2020
This is the best way of entering farming business and growing the business with limited capital.

1. You need to acquire training, information or experience. Start with limited risk.

It doesn't matter how much money you have, it's just not wise to start with a massive high risk investment. This puts you at a very high risk of great loss in case of mistakes made form lack of experience or knowledge.

In other words,get knowledge or get knowledgeable/experienced people to work with if you are going to embark on a massive farm business,if not start small.

#DoagricItpays#agriculture#agribusiness
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:42am On Jun 05, 2020
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by haon: 8:52am On Jun 05, 2020
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:43pm On Jun 05, 2020
Like my page for info on how to start a profitable agribuisness in nigeria www.facebook.com/waleagro
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 6:40pm On Jun 07, 2020
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:20am On Jun 08, 2020
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 10:13pm On Jun 09, 2020
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 6:41am On Jun 10, 2020
Many years ago, even before the advent of mass rush into agriculture by Nigerians, I saw the opportunities and it's wealth creating potentials and I told few of my friends willing to listen and willing to take action with me that they should invest in agriculture.
I shared few of my findings with them.

Those that venture out with me then are doing very well now.

The journey was not easy but the experience taught me some great lessons

I started farm estates many years ago due to my bad experiences.

I bought some tens of acres of farmland to be used for farming purpose.

Months after acquiring,I faced a lot of issues,from security,poor accessibility, and lots more

The height of it all was when fulani cattle herdmen came to feed their cattle with my 9 months old cassava destroying about 50 acres in the process.

A year down the road,I abandoned the land and the idea of starting a farm estate where people interested in agribusiness can buy a land,farm the land, in a well secured,accessible to road,market etc.

And over the past 7 years,I am happy that numerous of our clients are satisfied and can farm in a well secured environment with access to market.

These are what I did wrong in my first land acquisition

1. I acquire my farmland in the midst of no-where,where I was alone with no farmers around.

I learnt this in a very hard way.
No farmers was within 10km of my farm,I was seriously exposed.

Now,we have farmers both in the community where our farm estate is located and city farmers which you can interact with,collaborate and share ideas and knowledge.

2. I didnot ask questions on the security of the farm.

I was rushing to get started with cultivation and was blinded to the fact that my farm cultivation cannot succeed without a well secured area.

The guy that sold the land was just interested in selling land and after money have exchanged hand,he left me to my own destiny,I have to fight,spend lot of money to secure the farm

When I discovered that it's not sustainable,I had to abandon the land.

That's why on our farm estates,we make sure that apart from selling you problem-free,secured farmland, we provide the necessary support from cultivation to accessibility to the market.

Those on our farm estates can testify to this.

3. Poor accessible road
The access to the farm was poor,I had to turn 360° round the farm to know what's happening on the other side of the farm.
If anything happens on the farm,it will take days to know.

There are lot and lots of what I want to share concerning land but I will have to stop here.

If you need problem-free,secured land,then you can talk to me.
Till June 15th,there is also great discount for those that will be joining others on any of our farm estates in ijebu-igbo (ogun state),ogbomoso (Oyo state) or ilorin (kwara state).
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 9:12am On Jun 12, 2020
If you are looking to generate a sustainable,good returns in Agribusiness,then you should venture into it.

Unfortunately,there is only one hotspot for cashew in Nigeria which is *Ogbomoso,Oyo state*

As I am writing, I believe a foreigner somewhere now in ogbomoso are closing multi-million cashew deals...

Every year,Chinese, Vietnamese,indians, Americans comes into ogbomoso to do cashew business.
This is also because cashew grown in Ogbomoso has the highest quality in the whole of Nigeria.

My advice for you if you want to do cashew is to find a location in ogbomoso for it.
That's one of the main reason I sited our cashew farm estates there.

Once you have your cashew in ogbomoso,there will be great opportunity to have buyers (both local and foreigners) paying premium price for your nuts.

There are 3 factors of success for cashew

1.Cultivate your cashew farm where premium price is placed on it
As far as cashew is concerned, ogbomoso is the hotzone for cashew nuts in the whole of Nigeria.

2. Planting good hybrid seeds
3.once planted,protect it against fire.

I have read some posts l on cashew advising people to plant only hybrid seednut called Brazilian jumbo variety (because it produces a big nut)
This is partially true.

For those of us that are on the field,we know that Brazilian jumbo variety produces big size but the yield are not much,so what do we do,we add the medium size variety (which produces average size but has massive yield) to the plantation in such a way that when there is cross-pollination during flowering,the jumbo size produces big nut and great yield as well.

For more info about cashew seedlings,you can watch this video I did on our farm many years ago about cashew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO6KMXuFaI4

Now,if all is done well,within 3 years,you can start harvesting (although it won't be on a commercial scale); by the 4th year, commercial harvesting should have started.

Now,if you want to start harvesting early and have good yield,then from day 1,you have to put structure to prevent fire on the farm.
If you do not protect against that and fire gut your farm especially during dry season,then your harvest will be deeply hit and you will have longer duration.

Another thing you can do on your farm is to interplant your cashew with cassava to maximise space and revenue.
Your cassava from planting to harvesting takes 11 months and after the first harvest,you can still replant the cassava again.
This you can do for up to 10 years on the same land.
While you get your returns from cassava,you also get from cashew as well.

Now a ton of cashew is about N400k,if you can have 10 tons or more conveniently on your farm every season,you are a millionaire that will be smiling to the bank.

I will be happy to throw more light on questions as it concerns cashew if there is any.
Have a lovely day everyone

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply)

Thread For Bakery Owners And Intending Owners In Nigeria / Prince Bolu Akin-Olugbade Receiving His Rolls-royce Cullinan (More Photos) / Air Peace: Fresh Facts Reveal Legitimate Aircraft Purchase

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.