Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,548 members, 7,816,334 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:41 AM

Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? (25981 Views)

London Court Jails Nigerian Three Years For Flogging Son / Ogidi Youths Flog Man After He Was Filmed Flogging, Boxing, And Kicking His Mom / Adekunle Okunuga Suspended As A Doctor In 2015 For Flogging Son In UK Reinstated (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Mypeople2(m): 8:55pm On Dec 30, 2019
Odunolumide:
There is this girl in my class that I don't beat because once I threaten to beat her she behaves well. In other case ,most of the pupils are very naughty and they dare you by their actions .
I am thinking of making a deal with my pupils next term that I won't beat them in exchange for something else but I hope it works.
I also plan on using a no-cane sign in my class.
Honestly in a class, their are some you should talk to , some you should shout at and some you should flog or punish .If you don't flog at all Teacher Washington,your learners will play with you ,saying are not the action type
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by aminusodiq(m): 8:56pm On Dec 30, 2019
If my palle no beat me.. I go worst i swear!!! Thanks to him fr d beatings, dos canes, belts, hanger, wires did a good job on me!!! Dey made sturburness disappear grin

2 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Beautyaddy: 8:56pm On Dec 30, 2019
alcuin:

Of course, you can't go around flogging adults.

But children in their formative ages need to learn early enough that there are punitive measures for wrong behaviour. And these punitive measures do not exclude getting their asses severely whooped.

That's the point.

I am sure most of those corrupts and lawless adults governing the affairs of Nigeria were flogged when they were kids too but as we can see it ended up making them hardened to corrections to do what is right under the law.

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Odunolumide(m): 8:57pm On Dec 30, 2019
themaestro08:
Bro it seems we are on the same boat.

Also a teacher, sometimes this kids can annoy the hell out of you...

Also hope I can keep my cool in the midst of Great annoyance because kids ehn...

I think the use of cane cannot be abolished at a whim. It is a cultural issue embedded in a life long tradition. It should be systemic and parents have a huge part to play.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by bindukwe(m): 8:58pm On Dec 30, 2019
I don't think human beings have figured out a way to control behavior without inflicting pain.
Be it emotional or physical pain.

The problem with using pain as a regulator for behavior is its susceptibility to abuse. Simply because of the circumstances preceding it.

That's why we have constitutions in adult society to regulate punishment so it doesn't degenerate into abuse.

To serve punishment effectively there has to be a mechanism for regulating whatever is considered punishment. And whatever is called punishment has to be considered carefully.

Different individuals respond differently to punishment. What determines the differe t responses is "value"
Nobody values anything more their freedom, which is why prison sentences are the most painful thing you can do to anyone.

Anger is what engineers punishment towards abuse. There is nothing wrong with flogging by itself but anger will most likely be the reason to flog and not the wrongdoing.
Which causes you to punish the child beyond what is required for correction, just to satisfy your rage.

Children aren't robots, they have things they value, find it and take it away as punishment for wrongdoings.

Also find organic consequences for their actions.
Eg- if he doesn't eat his dinner on time, no TV.
Simply because he has encroached into his TV time with his prolonged feeding time.

3 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Vacora(m): 8:58pm On Dec 30, 2019
Flogging upandan, una get light sef? No be una leaders dey ‘fantastically corrupt’ upon all the flogging dem receive in the days of old? grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by dammiedot(m): 8:58pm On Dec 30, 2019
Just telling a child these days to face the wall or go to the naughty corner hurts them really bad. My parents flogged me a lot and that didn't do much. Now I tell punish my child or deprive her of some activity she loves and that super really hurts her and I then have a discussion with her to understand why she was punished and we are good. Flogging has not helped anybody since a long time.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Equity15(m): 8:59pm On Dec 30, 2019
themaestro08:

How about someone who's parent never laid a hand on him ( discipline him through engaging in discussions with him and other smart methods) and he later turned out to be a Great man in life?

Flogging is terrible parenting, in fact it should be an offence just like an assault.
there's always an exception. but be honest with yourself, how many Nigerian kids will that work on?
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by themaestro08(m): 8:59pm On Dec 30, 2019
Jokerman:

The Bible/Quran is bigger than any constitution

I challenge you to quote any verse in The Quran that permit Corporal punishment as a form of discipline. I'll wait.

Say what you know man. And stop justifying this archaic behavior.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Odunolumide(m): 8:59pm On Dec 30, 2019
Mypeople2:
Honestly in a class, their are some you should talk to , some you should shout at and some you should flog or punish .If you don't flog at all Teacher Washington,your learners will play with you ,saying are not the action type

Most teachers think I am soft even some of the pupils. So I flog the most stubborn of them and ask the others if they want me to flog them ,then they all behave. But the issue is, this only works a day the next day we start all over again.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by trutht828: 9:00pm On Dec 30, 2019
pweeryambre:

how does it mean that he wants a baby to be thrown out with bath water when he also said this "THERE ARE MANY OTHER PROPER WAYS TO
DISCIPLINE A CHILD WITHOUT FLOGGING"

You commented as if flogging is an abuse. Flogging only becomes an abuse when it is done in anger. If done with the intention of correcting the child, it is a good thing.

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by highbee02: 9:01pm On Dec 30, 2019
There are different parenting styles and each has its own advantages and disadvantages: authoritative . authoritarian, permissive, toxic, slow parenting, over parenting etc. In authoritative (democratic), d advantages outweigh the disadvantages, u must explain to the child y u are beating him/her, it will help the child academically, self reliant, out spoken, the child is mentally and emotionally balanced, etc. Avoid excessive beating as that would create fear, anxiety in the child.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Nobody: 9:04pm On Dec 30, 2019
socialmediaman:
Many parents believe the 'good old way' of flogging and inflicting pain and fear on kids and nannies is still the best way of achieving discipline in them, while other parents have moved on to other 'effective' means, claiming the 'good old ways' are either no longer effective or never were and should have not been used by our parents in the first place.

My questions to guide this conversation are:

1. Do you consider flogging an effective way of achieving discipline on a child? Why?

2. Do you consider flogging an effective way of achieving discipline on a nanny? Why?

3. What other method(s) do you consider effective for achieving discipline on a child or nanny? Why?

It's okay to focus your response on a child or nanny or both.

Yes, the pain and the fear of future floggings will help the victim to change for better...
Flogging creates a trauma similar to NEPA shocks,
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Kendroid: 9:05pm On Dec 30, 2019
GraGra247:
I DON'T SUPPORT FLOGGING CHILDREN OR ANYONE AT ALL.

IT SHOULD BE COMPLETELY ABOLISHED.

AFRICAN PARENTS EXTREMELY ABUSE IT A LOT.

THERE ARE MANY OTHER PROPER WAYS TO DISCIPLINE A CHILD WITHOUT FLOGGING.

such as?
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by themaestro08(m): 9:05pm On Dec 30, 2019
ctleurocollege:

[s][/s]What is wrong with flogging? weak niga[s][/s]
So desisting From corporal punishment means one is weak?
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by obinna58(m): 9:06pm On Dec 30, 2019
Flogging is never a way of discipline, this stupid method has been going on for generations and look at the societies it produced, a society that doesn't know what freedom is, reasons for things, and why they need to stick together. You can't get an intelligent person through forced discipline, look at our government bodies, police, military, SARS, there's no week pass you won't see on the front page someone shot dead by our own men who are to protect us or even serious complain of brutality from civilians, they all try to abuse or intimidate you as a pattern of discipline, but at the end it's a grown up they're dealing not a child any more and it always ends up in disaster, lot things to talk but I think am ok here

Dumb africans I'm so disappointed with comments in this thread

2 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Yankee101: 9:06pm On Dec 30, 2019
Super effective

Where there are no consequences there is no law

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by kareemkamil(m): 9:08pm On Dec 30, 2019
Well, for me I think flogging is part of discipline, let's take a look at big man children, the way in manna they behave always speak of lack of culture.

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by deanoffaculty: 9:08pm On Dec 30, 2019
Flogging: An effective way of discipline.(My opinion)

One of those reasons why the society is experiencing deterioration in moral behavior is inability of Parents to castigate their kids by flogging from childhood.
I could remember when we were growing up, flogging made us to identify taking wrong step from right step. We were taught that flogging doesn't kill but projects discipline and proper conducts. In those childhood days, we saw flogging as another weapon of death but NA LIE....ACTOR NO DEY DIE FOR MOVIE. Seriously, we grew up and we could realize that our parents did well. Children are like fish - you can easily bend them at innocence stage and they will grow up with that mindset never to go the wrong way. This helped us a lot along the line to be maintain good attributes in all endeavors of life.
'' spare the rod and spoil the child '' is the other of this 'indomie generation'. Most parents have ignored the old parenting style. They see it as 'old school' and they believe that mere words of mouth could change their kids. Children can be stubborn but the way you handle them makes the difference. Even Bible says it all- Proverbs 23: 13-14, Proverbs 22:15.

God bless all Parents out there! It's not easy to train up kids.
Cheers!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Nobody: 9:09pm On Dec 30, 2019
vickydankal:
If what you want to instil or inculcate in a child is discipline then for an African child flogging will be needed.

Unfortunately, we use flogging to vent anger in the place discipline.

Depending on the offence
I used to ground my children in the room
No toys
No cartoon (they will almost faint on this, especially when Tom and Jerry is one)
Flogging
No juice
Shouting
Pick pin
Kneeling
Verbal Apology etc
General beating (throwing of mop, spoon, slippers, etc)

Acient and modern
i hail you, yours is the best combo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by deanoffaculty: 9:10pm On Dec 30, 2019
kareemkamil:
Well, for me I think flogging is part of discipline, let's take a look at big man children, the way in manna they behave always speak of lack of culture.
Thumb up!!
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by masqot(m): 9:13pm On Dec 30, 2019
Flogging should not be done with anger. That's abuse and that's when the child sustains marks. I once wrote my son's teacher to beat him for hiding homework till Monday morning and when he came back I still flogged him though I'm not the type that beats children.
Spare the rod and spoil the child.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Reference(m): 9:14pm On Dec 30, 2019
Violence is the preserve of the ignorant.
Parents that have to be physical with their kids do so because they lack the mental capacity and competence to 'train' and nuture. So the advice:

Plan well ahead of child bearing.
Start forming the mind and character early.
Have deliberate objectives and set specific goals.
Create the right domestic atmosphere for the nourishment of the mind.
Lead and live by example.

Big donot. Donot form the mentality of punishing what you may term wrongdoing and rewarding what you may term right behaviour. That is an unfortunate introduction to the destructive human nature of fear and greed. Donot trade with their minds. Rather reason with them exolaining why wrong is wrong and right is right, period. Appeal to their conscience as they grow into self consciousness.

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by themaestro08(m): 9:14pm On Dec 30, 2019
Equity15:
there's always an exception. but be honest with yourself, how many Nigerian kids will that work on?
Bro am a teacher so I know what exactly am talking about. A kid is like a Garden - you have to nurture it skillfully for it to flourish. Its quite saddening the kids in your life are wayward.

But I can tell with some high degree of certainty that I have come across a lot of lovely kids out there.

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by GraGra247(m): 9:14pm On Dec 30, 2019
DenreleDave:

Oya what' other way oo, didn't ur parent flogged u to instill sense in ur head

What other way Pls

"Quoted":

Depending on the offence
No toys
No cartoon (they will almost faint on this, especially when Tom and Jerry is one)
No juice
Shouting
Pick pin
Kneeling
Verbal Apology etc

additionally:

-withdraw phone or iPad

-withhold favourites: games, exciting
visits to friends and places.

-Withold his favorite food or drink(but give him a different kind of good food/drink nonetheless)

-Ground him: restrict him to his room for some hours when he's itching to move around.

All these and more can be applied interchangeably and will bring the most difficult kids to their knees.

If these won't work, flogging won't work either.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by GraGra247(m): 9:15pm On Dec 30, 2019
Kendroid:

such as?

"Quoted":

Depending on the offence
No toys
No juice
Shouting
Pick pin
Kneeling
Verbal Apology etc

additionally:

-withdraw phone or iPad

-withhold favourites: games, exciting
visits to friends and places.

-Withold his favorite food or drink(but give him a different kind of good food/drink nonetheless)

-Ground him: restrict him to his room for some hours when he's itching to move around.

All these and more can be applied interchangeably and will bring the most difficult kids to their knees.

If these won't work, flogging won't work either.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by themaestro08(m): 9:16pm On Dec 30, 2019
Odunolumide:

I think the use of cane cannot be abolished at a whim. It is a cultural issue embedded in a life long tradition. It should be systemic and parents have a huge part to play.

It can be abolished bro.

Sweden was the first to country in the world to outlaw any form of Corporal punishment at home and school as illegal in the 70s. Defaulters are fined. And so far so good its been a Great game changer as it enhance parent-child relationship.

In the case of Nigeria , I think my Generation ( generation z) are less likely to flog a child and gradually future generation may see it as archaic and will completely choose to engage with the child rather than flog him.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Nobody: 9:16pm On Dec 30, 2019
eduman365:
This might sound old school, but those countries where they refuse to discipline their children are the same countries with high rate of homosexuality and lack of respect for their parents...

If you like don't beat your children when they are wrong. For me I'm following what the bible teaches about discipline; spare the rod, spoil the child.

Seconded!
Old School is bae
Conservatism is the way to go

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by gaddafe(m): 9:17pm On Dec 30, 2019
All those saying removal of privilege can replace canning don't know what they're saying. You haven't really met some kids. Even an atheist will believe in demons when they meet one. You tell the child "you are grounded. I don't want to see you outside bla bla bla". The child waits for you to finish talking then carefully walks outside. My brother, when you will handle the Cain you no go know

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by chukzyfcbb: 9:17pm On Dec 30, 2019
At the start of my Nysc year, I said I was never going to flog any student. I wanted to try this concept of discipline from another angle.

My oh My! Because they knew at first I never would use the cane, they took my class for granted talking at will, then I switched up and unleashed the dragon smiley

I became the most ruthless teacher in school, I didn't talk much, didn't smile much.

I flogged anyone who would cross the line, however at the same time I spent most of my NYSC Alloweee buying gifts for those who would do well in my Test and exams.

Ironically that made me liked despite the flogging, so I will say strike a balance!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Mrshape: 9:17pm On Dec 30, 2019
Simplyleo:
Though I don't know a better alternative, I won't accept flogging of my child in school.

Education professionals should come up with a better alternative. undecided
You that gave birth to the child don't know better alternative,
You should better leave your child in your house and home school him.
Because if the teachers don't flog your child in school, they school mate will,
Last last your child must receive flogging

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Equity15(m): 9:18pm On Dec 30, 2019
themaestro08:
Bro am a teacher so I know what exactly am talking about. A kid is like a Garden - you have to nurture it skillfully for it to flourish. Its quite saddening the kids in your life are wayward.

But I can tell with some high degree of certainty that I have come across a lot of lovely kids out there.
bro, I'm also currently a teacher. and I know what I'm saying. I'm not saying the canning should be too much but it should be moderated. it's when it's too much that the kid finally turns wayward. it's good to spank a kid once in a while when he misbehaves. these kids of nowadays even seem to be more wayward than us.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

What Is That Thing You Don't Pray Your Children Inherits From You? / Bauchi Governor Marries A 4th Wife / Obituary Of Mother And Her 2 Children Killed In Fire Accident In Onitsha

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.