Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,650 members, 7,816,665 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:44 PM

Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? (25990 Views)

London Court Jails Nigerian Three Years For Flogging Son / Ogidi Youths Flog Man After He Was Filmed Flogging, Boxing, And Kicking His Mom / Adekunle Okunuga Suspended As A Doctor In 2015 For Flogging Son In UK Reinstated (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Beautyaddy: 9:18pm On Dec 30, 2019
obinna58:
Flogging is never a way of discipline, this stupid method has been going on for generations and look at the societies it produced, a society that doesn't know what freedom is, reasons for things, and why they need to stick together. You can't get an intelligent person through forced discipline, look at our government bodies, police, military, SARS, there's no week pass you won't see on the front page someone shot dead by our own men who are to protect us or even serious complain of brutality from civilians, they all try to abuse or intimidate you as a pattern of discipline, but at the end it's a grown up they're dealing not a child any more and it always ends up in disaster.

Dumb africans I'm so disappointed with comments in this thread

lol!...I am not surprised though.

You have to understand that most people who support flogging of their kids were also flogged by their parents.

Aside from flogging any human as a barbaric way of discipline I also see it that most parents who discipline their kids through flogging are very lazy to use a more sane and constructive way to change a negative behaviour in a child.

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Elly1(m): 9:20pm On Dec 30, 2019
Kizzygentle:
Never!!!.
I repeat never!!!

The best form of discipline is by verbal communication.
If d child does something bad call him/her and sit him/her down and softly tell d child that what he/she did is very wrong and can cause damage.
U could use a statement that sounds scary to scare d child. And then u pet d child after d correction. Trust me it works better than flogging.
But such method is often used by d rich only unfortunately.

You mean it works?

Definitely not for African child
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by gibsonwales(m): 9:20pm On Dec 30, 2019
I made a vow to myself, I'll never lay hands on my future children. Instead, I'll ground them from some activities, chikena ! We need a change of mindset in Nigeria. To flog pikin for Nigeria na anger no b discipline !

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Beautyaddy: 9:20pm On Dec 30, 2019
Mrshape:

[s]You that gave birth to the child don't know better alternative,
You should better leave your child in your house and home school him.
Because if the teachers don't flog your child in school, they school mate will,
Last last your child must receive flogging[/s]

Rubbish Excuse!
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by alcuin(m): 9:22pm On Dec 30, 2019
Beautyaddy:

I am sure most of those corrupts and lawless adults governing the affairs of Nigeria were flogged when they were kids too but as we can see it ended up making them hardened to corrections to do what is right under the law.

Corruption and lawlessness is a universal thing.

It has little or nothing to do with subject.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Nobody: 9:22pm On Dec 30, 2019
MrBrownJay1:
1st and foremost you should NEVER lay hand on an adult person doing their job....EVER! if you are not happy with the nanny then fire her and get another one that fits your criteria. if you employ children as nanny, then blame yourself for expecting a child to do an adult job.

2nd.. corporal punishment is necessary to a certain extent. there is a huge difference between "discipline a child" and ABUSE/TORTURE. if your child does NOT respond to corporal punishments then find other means to educate that demon child. beating that child harder is not gonna work here. take away privileges, no phones/pad, no TV, no game console, no outing, no friends over, no social media etc. we are in a different time and what worked 30yrs ago is outdated and parents need to adapt to the era we live in.

today a child will be more hurt by not having their phones than corporal punishment
My dear, u trying too hard to sound wise and updated.
I won't buy your idea with a cent.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Beautyaddy: 9:22pm On Dec 30, 2019
Elly1:

You mean it works?

Definitely not for African child

Correct. Because most African kids must have grown up around Animals in human body.

Flogging are for Animals and not Human Beings.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Beautyaddy: 9:23pm On Dec 30, 2019
alcuin:

Corruption and lawlessness is a universal thing.

It has little or nothing to do with subject.

That's a Big Lie!

Corruption and Lawlessness has a lot to do with how a child was raised.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Moz22: 9:24pm On Dec 30, 2019
tchidi066:
I don't believe in flogging... There is something called positive and negative reinforcement
been noticing u around here... I can't help but admire ur beauty
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Jaqenhghar: 9:24pm On Dec 30, 2019
Even the oyinbos are beginning to question if flogging should be brought back
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by frozen70(f): 9:25pm On Dec 30, 2019
socialmediaman:
Many parents believe the 'good old way' of flogging and inflicting pain and fear on kids and nannies is still the best way of achieving discipline in them, while other parents have moved on to other 'effective' means, claiming the 'good old ways' are either no longer effective or never were and should have not been used by our parents in the first place.

My questions to guide this conversation are:

1. Do you consider flogging an effective way of achieving discipline on a child? Why?

2. Do you consider flogging an effective way of achieving discipline on a nanny? Why?

3. What other method(s) do you consider effective for achieving discipline on a child or nanny? Why?

It's okay to focus your response on a child or nanny or both.

Due to the frustration on people especially parents of this days

I won't encourage flogging because it will be done out of frustration with Wickedness

To me, the best form is constant talking and counselling

You can tell a child something that will give him sleepless night for a period and such child will think about it and take advice and correct it

But when you flog, such child will develop the ability to endure cane and the more you flog him the more he prepares to endure the pains

You can even deprive him of a thing that will hurt him more than flogging

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by themaestro08(m): 9:26pm On Dec 30, 2019
safarigirl:

Assault is rather harsh a term.

I bet there are paediatrics who beat their kids. Many people sell products they don't use, comedians spread joy, but many of them are depressed, do what works for you, [/b]not what someone recommends based on a purported experiment with a tiny scope of people.[b]

I wonder how many children and in which regions they must have done these tests to come to such conclusion.

I don't need any scientist to tells me what I see for myself. I see children, and I see how they react to flogging or scolding. I know which has lasting effects on which kids, I don't need anyone to tell me what I know and have established with my own years of experience

You mean a body of certified and well trained experts in pediatric who conducted a comprehensive study on corporal punishment a in your words " purported experiment with a tiny scope of people"?

At this point I will say no more.

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Tulsaguy: 9:26pm On Dec 30, 2019
Now... this is the question

Between the generation of our fathers and ours, which is more culture and responsible?

Without fear of being misunderstood, majority will agree it's their generation, they used cane on them but not to abuse them.

I am an advocate of both flogging (not to inflict injuries) and talks. Some children listen when you talk. some even prefer it to flogging. So talk when you should and flog when there is need to.

In my time, if you commit, expect my grandpa to wake u by 5am with morning delicacies (canes). They won't starve you of food, they won't deny you anything but at the sound of Alau Akbar by 5am... You are already eating your delicacies. Sometimes, they won't beat you maybe because your cup is not full yet.

That kept us from doing anyhow and for me, flogging, konk etc are necessary tools in raising children.

There is a school in Ibadan, if you won't allow the teacher/school to discipline your child, take him home. They are ready to refund your money. I have never seen any of their products misbehaving. They've produced students who are brave, cultured, brilliant and discipline. I smh to see some parents destroying their children future by spearing the rods.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Terry4(m): 9:26pm On Dec 30, 2019
There are ways of discipline rather than flogging, punishment like kneeling down.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Nobody: 9:27pm On Dec 30, 2019
HannahHitler:
homosexuality sha entered the conversation from no where!!!! Lmao. So you want to beat a gay child till he turns straight ABI? Just negodu. Upon the beating in Nigeria, just see how your country is filled with criminals and lawlessness.

Crime is common to every society. Compare Nigeria to other developing countries like India and South Africa where rape is the order of the day and you'll realize the country is not so bad.

I know you're probably a lesbian, cos that statement hit you differently. But only God can judge and I'm nobody to downgrade you.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by themaestro08(m): 9:29pm On Dec 30, 2019
Equity15:
bro, I'm also currently a teacher. and I know what I'm saying. I'm not saying the canning should be too much but it should be moderated. it's when it's too much that the kid finally turns wayward. it's good to spank a kid once in a while when he misbehaves. these kids of nowadays even seem to be more wayward than us.

Don't you think engaging in reasonable discussions with the child will be more effective than spanking?
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by themaestro08(m): 9:31pm On Dec 30, 2019
selfemployed:

Where did the kids inherit the [/b]gene of rascality[b] if not from the parents.

The parents should first submit themselves for punishment for passing on the gene of rascality to their children.

Its a serious offense.
grin grin
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Equity15(m): 9:33pm On Dec 30, 2019
themaestro08:

Don't you think engaging in reasonable discussions with the child will be more effective than spanking?
I also thought so too when I first starting teaching. in fact I engage the whole class in reasonable discussions almost everytime they err but it all fell on deaf ears. maybe they aren't used to reasonable discussions as a form of discipline from thier home, I wouldn't know. but I switched to spanking and they've been behaving normal.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Azejellek(m): 9:34pm On Dec 30, 2019
Flogging of children have pro’s and con’s when considering flogging as a disciplinary method for children. Some kids need to be flog before they'll correct themself while is affect some kids mentally
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by alcuin(m): 9:34pm On Dec 30, 2019
Beautyaddy:

That's a Big Lie!

Corruption and Lawlessness has a lot to do with how a child was raised.

Dearie, I don't argue.

I've stated my opinions.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by SenecaTheYonger: 9:36pm On Dec 30, 2019
Amalekki:
Most of your thieving leaders & politicians today were top of the league table when it comes to getting flogged as kids. What is the result?

They also grew up eating food, now look at them today, waht is the result?

Dumb argument

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by themaestro08(m): 9:36pm On Dec 30, 2019
profolaolu:
Go to schools especially in Lagos State and see what not flogging have caused.
Go to schools in advanced countries like Sweden(Corporal punishment is outlawed and as such illegal) and see how surprisingly well mannerd this kids are.
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Odunolumide(m): 9:38pm On Dec 30, 2019
themaestro08:

It can be abolished bro.

Sweden was the first to country in the world to outlaw any form of Corporal punishment at home and school as illegal in the 70s. Defaulters are fined. And so far so good its been a Great game changer as it enhance parent-child relationship.

In the case of Nigeria , I think my Generation ( generation z) are less likely to flog a child and gradually future generation may see it as archaic and will completely choose to engage with the child rather than flog him.

Do you teach?
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Icon79(m): 9:39pm On Dec 30, 2019
Foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child; The rod of correction will drive it far from him. Proverbs 22:15.

O pari

safarigirl:
I've learnt that there is really no hard and fast rule with children

I recommend finding the perfect disciplinary method depending on the child. Some kids are receptive to scolding and some others require flogging. Find the disciplinary method perfect for the child, notice what works best for each child, just because they are all kids does not mean the same thing will work across board

So, yeah, depending on the kid, caning could work with some, others just a few words and for a select few, a combination of both. It's like people who prefer injection to pills and vice versa
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by safarigirl(f): 9:39pm On Dec 30, 2019
themaestro08:

You mean a body of certified and well trained experts in pediatric who conducted a comprehensive study on corporal punishment a in your words " purported experiment with a tiny scope of people"?

At this point I will say no more.

What comprehensive study? You have not stated how this study was conducted, which regions they conducted them at, the children that made up the sample pot.

I had my own share of corporal punishments as a child and I turned out fine, many others who did will tell you same, nobody from any paediatric society ever took a sample from my neighborhood, so, which experiment did they do? Did they take a sample from Nigeria? Did they take a sample from Kenya, Jamaica, Granada?

What makes their experiment comprehensive? Because they tested 100-1000 out of over a billion people and came up with purported results?

If you know what comprehensive means, you won't be throwing the term about loosely. I did not say people should break their children's heads here, some of you assume the worst when corporal punishment is mentioned.

I doubt you have sufficient experience with children, else, you would not be telling me about some experiment by whoever.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by chukzyfcbb: 9:39pm On Dec 30, 2019
Equity15:
I also thought so too when I first starting teaching. in fact I engage the whole class in reasonable discussions almost everytime they err but it all fell on deaf ears. maybe they aren't used to reasonable discussions as a form of discipline from thier home, I wouldn't know. but I switched to spanking and they've been behaving normal.

Don't mind those fellas. I use to say the same thing too, i would never flog. I would caution them, i would tell them to kneel down i would do this i would d that, baba when I teach for 1year, nobody tell me.

That cane is to reset brains to factory settings

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by LZAA: 9:41pm On Dec 30, 2019
Bia NL mods
I am tired of all these kiddies threads hitting fp o
Wetin na
Corporal punishment done reasonably is valuable to child growth
It's when animals go overboard it becomes abuse
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by TalkTalkTwins(m): 9:42pm On Dec 30, 2019
Niaja4real:

You can never be wiser than God... Spare the rod and spoil the child. Proverbs. 23 vs 13 & 14.

Bible actually said rod smiley
So using cane is a sin wink

[img]https://kingkurtissmith.files./2015/03/flogging.jpg[/img]
Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by safarigirl(f): 9:42pm On Dec 30, 2019
themaestro08:

Go to schools in advanced countries like Sweden(Corporal punishment is outlawed and as such illegal) and see how surprisingly well mannerd this kids are.

Sweden is not Nigeria, different races, different genetic make ups, different diet, different climate, different culture.

Learn that you cannot use one society to explain another, just like you cannot use one form of discipline for all children, you need to consider various factors. You are committing a fallacy of generalization.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by obinna58(m): 9:45pm On Dec 30, 2019
Beautyaddy:

lol!...I am not surprised though.

You have to understand that most people who support flogging of their kids were also flogged by their parents.

Aside from flogging any human as a barbaric way of discipline I also see it that most parents who discipline their kids through flogging are very lazy to use a more sane and constructive way to change a negative behaviour in a child.
Thank you, very lazy parents indeed and you'll be amazed this abuse is called love cos they'll say it'll help you become a better person which is a pure lie, here we act based on our emotions and not what benefits us.

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by Amalekki: 9:47pm On Dec 30, 2019
SenecaTheYonger:

They also grew up eating food, now look at them today, waht is the result?

Dumb argument
You go school so?

Food = Necessity for survival. Everybody must eat.
Flogging = ?

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? by SenecaTheYonger: 9:48pm On Dec 30, 2019
Amalekki:

You go school so?

Food = Necessity for survival. Everybody must eat.
Flogging = ?

Necessity for having sense.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Bauchi Governor Marries A 4th Wife / Obituary Of Mother And Her 2 Children Killed In Fire Accident In Onitsha / 10 Things You Can Relate With If You Were Raised By Nigerian Parents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.