Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,467 members, 7,819,704 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:23 PM

I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim - Phones (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim (70601 Views)

Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone / What Is The Cost Of A New SIM Card In Your Area? / Has Anyone Been Able To Buy A New SIM Card Since The Ban Was Lifted? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by Chemicalboy1: 8:40pm On Jul 22, 2020
MegaPlayBoy:
Getting a new one isn't an issue

Leme show u ve u can get in trouble

A kidnapper uses dt bank acct to collect ransome, case get reported to state CID

State CID goes to bank nd get the number attracted to d acct

Trace d number nd land at ur door step

Best best u re sure to slee in jail on d first day with a black eye..

Beating continues on d second day..

Guy please do d needful
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by Nitah1: 8:44pm On Jul 22, 2020
chatinent:

Bro believe me, anyone who has access to that SIM will suckle it empty, whether MTN or Access Bank.
Maybe the owner is dead...
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by paulemi(m): 8:50pm On Jul 22, 2020
I've been experiencing this same issue for over 2 years now. In my case, I've used my SIM for over 10 years now, but started getting those strange alerts after the merger that formed access bank.

I complained at one of their branches, but the customer care person said there was nothing they could do: the account owner has to be the one to request for change of phone number.
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by uchrikk(m): 8:52pm On Jul 22, 2020
MegaPlayBoy:

Its a relatively new sim, can I destroy it
I don't want Trouble

Destroying the SIM won't save you from trouble either, since you've already registered it imputting your biodata. Report the issue to both MTN and Access bank. Make it clear that you want the alerts to stop. Make your report in writing, probably through customer care emails, so that you can keep documented proof of the complaints and their response. In a more civilised clime, someone can sue MTN for this kind of embarrassment and get good compensation for it. They should format an old number very well before reselling it as a new SIM.
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by enilowo(m): 8:56pm On Jul 22, 2020
MegaPlayBoy:

Bro, I have been using the sim for a few month now and I have made no such attempt.
I has removed the sim from my phone.
I will leave it and forget all about it
I am a banker. Kindly go to any access bank branch to report they will remove the account attached to the number. What must have happened is that someone used to own that sim and for one reason or the other he abandoned the line(he could be dead) so having been abandoned for more than six months MTN recovered the nos and re allocate. So kindly go to Access bank to complain so they can remove the nos from the account. You abandoning it doesnt change anything as the nos has been registered against your phone on MTN database and if there is an ongoing investigation your phone IMEI will pop up and you can be connected by various nos u have used on that phone. If you are scared get a lawyer to go to Access with you or go make an official report at a police station and get a police report that you filed an official complain so if there is an issue you will have evidence that you lodged a complain.

1 Like

Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by Truetalk3139: 8:57pm On Jul 22, 2020
try recharging from the account, the person will see your number in the debit alert he/she will receive so they should call you on how to fix it, same thing happened to me, the girl had similar number to mine so as i was rushing to fill a form i mistakenly missed a number and imputed her number so she was receiving all my alert just the way you are until she recharged 1k, I first called access bank customer care to restrict my account then i checked the alert for her number, she started begging me that it was her friends that pushed her to recharge bla bla bla
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by onegb(m): 9:14pm On Jul 22, 2020
Use your sim and warn access bank using there online support to stop sending you messages else sue them and demand damage.

Even if there formal customer used it before.

The law demand that bank should update customer records within 3 month of any change.
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by lonelydora: 9:19pm On Jul 22, 2020
MegaPlayBoy:
Hello guys, I need help
I keep receiving bank alerts from access bank in the new mtn sim I bought even though I have no access bank account.
The names attached to the alerts are also different and strange
I don't know where this is coming from, should I destroy the sim and get another?

For your own good, go to MTN office and report, then head to any police station and report too.
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by Meeenah(f): 9:23pm On Jul 22, 2020
ibolord:
That was how they wiped my account just because I'm out of the country. The motherphucker they sold my number to used USSD code and bought airtime 10k everyday and finished my money. Too bad I didn't have email alert. GTBANK telling me cock and bull story.

First thing you should have done if you knowyou are going to be out of the country for a longtime is remove your account with money from anything electronic. You then notify the bank formally of your long absence. That way they will not be able to start telling you stories.
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by UDOKABESTLUV(m): 9:23pm On Jul 22, 2020
Give Me The Simcard please
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by FullyFaithFully: 9:36pm On Jul 22, 2020
Openbusiness4:
Story! You have nothing to worry about. It just means it's a line that has been recycled by the network, and it was the line that was tied to the former user's bank account. There was a time my old line was recycled. I didn't know. It was the line attached to a bank account that was dormant. Later I started using the account but was not getting any alerts. I then realize the new owner of the line was getting the alert. It took me another 2 months or so to finally go to the bank to ask them to change my account phone number to my new line, that I was not the owner of the old line again. No single money was stolen from me all through that period

You were lucky

My brother sim was recycled , in the space of 24 hours, 8k recharge card was debited from his account. He immediately called GTb to freeze his account
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by SenecaTheYonger: 9:43pm On Jul 22, 2020
pocohantas:

It is not about making billions in profit, it is about not encroaching into another person’s space. You are a bank, focus on banking. Except you decide to get access from telecom companies, that is if the various governing bodies approve this.

These telecom companies also have their own godfathers who might be against some banks. There is the issue of unauthorized access to sensitive information. Would you be happy to know that every telecom company has given banks access to your line? You will still be the one to shout o. Access is not responsible for this abeg. Pity them... cheesy

Lol, yeah. I see what you mean now. cheesy cheesy
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by festyalias2baba(m): 9:57pm On Jul 22, 2020
MegaPlayBoy:
Hello guys, I need help
I keep receiving bank alerts from access bank in the new mtn sim I bought even though I have no access bank account.
I don't know where this is coming from, should I destroy the sim and get another?

picture of the alert or ahdonbilivit���
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by Nobody: 10:06pm On Jul 22, 2020
MegaPlayBoy:

Its a relatively new sim, can I destroy it
I don't want Trouble

It's new to you but not to the previous owner .That's was how MTN gave out my favourite line to another person. I tried to retrieve it but MTN said they have sold it to another person meanwhile the SIM was still with me. Till date, people still call the person , thinking it is me. I had to go my banks to change my transactions alert number
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by Hope4atree: 10:12pm On Jul 22, 2020
My advice is for you to report the case to Access Bank. They won't ask you to write any statement/report. They'll only deactivate SMS alert on that account, doing this will save the account holder's account from falling into wrong hands. That's the right thing to do!
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by Wealthoptulent(m): 10:14pm On Jul 22, 2020
MegaPlayBoy:
Getting a new one isn't an issue
it's an issue nowadays, remember buhari daughter's case.. ne sim owner spent months in DSS place.
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by Wealthoptulent(m): 10:15pm On Jul 22, 2020
MegaPlayBoy:
Hello guys, I need help

Bros no forget the guy that went into detention for month over buhar daughter's sim card purchased .. dont go jail for free o
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by josebayo1: 10:30pm On Jul 22, 2020
This is a mistake that occurs while opening an account by customers service officers or account officers might be a mistake in one or two digits cos most people don’t fill their account opening forms clearly kindly go to a close access bank branch and complain they’ll thank u
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by aujile(m): 11:36pm On Jul 22, 2020
SIM cards get recycled after six months of not being used, both Mtn and access bank knows that
You bought the SIM and duly registered it
You didn't do any transaction on the account the number is registered
You definitely don't need to abandon the SIM or take it back to Mtn or even visit access bank.
Call their call center and inform them that you are receiving alert that is not your own on your new SIM .
In so doing, you have done everything required not to be in any trouble.
Forget all this return the SIM to Mtn as if there's guarantee that the next one you will get won't be a recycled SIM as well
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by Nobody: 11:38pm On Jul 22, 2020
Emmypure:
the same thing happened to me with my previous MTN sim, I am receiving account maintenance debits from first bank, and the account have a balance of 2.9 million, but it look like it is an abandoned account, and I received call from people calling me jude, and asking me where I was, why did I abscond etc, I was tired and destroyed the Sim.
a use to got alert too once in while, but this one balance is 750naira that's why i didn't bother to go complain.
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by Nobody: 11:40pm On Jul 22, 2020
udy4real:
I also recently started receiving bank alerts from FCMB and I don't have any account with them,well I didn't bother myself I just ignored it,do you guys mean it might be dangerous for me to have ignored it?
my own too is 750naira balance that's why i didn't bother
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by udy4real(m): 11:42pm On Jul 22, 2020
Ghostmode2two:

I hope you heard of that guy from Alsaba, Delta State that bought a new MTN SIM thT was formerly used by Aisha Buhari which later got the guy into trouble when DSS got him arrested. What these networks are doing by recycling numbers so fast is not good to me.

Wow,Thanks
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by udy4real(m): 11:44pm On Jul 22, 2020
odogwu9:

Very dangerous..and implicative..u better return the Sim to the nearest Sim provider

I Have been using that number for over 5 years so how can I return the SIM
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by udy4real(m): 11:46pm On Jul 22, 2020
litigator:

Yes it not that it might be, it is. It is extremely dangerous for you to keep receiving bank alerts you have no business with.

You need to write two abatement notice. One to the network provider and the other to the bank.

Make your complain that you do not wish to keep recieving the alerts.

Ensure both letters are acknowledged and keep your acknowledged copies.

That will save you huge stress in the future.

Should anything happen to the account, you will be a prime suspect.

Jesu
How can?
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by udy4real(m): 11:47pm On Jul 22, 2020
Rapsowdee01:

That was why i said the only way you might not have issues is if the person who owns it doesn't complain because he hasn't had any reason to suspect and no fraudulent activity has taken place on his account
Hmmmm,this one strong ooooo
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by iamphill: 11:49pm On Jul 22, 2020
A word is enough for the wise. Please ditch the sim or go to MTN and report and get a new Sim.....someone I know with a similar issue ended up in Kuje prison over things he knows nothing about. May we be wise
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by Ghostmode2two(m): 11:59pm On Jul 22, 2020
udy4real:

Wow,Thanks
You are welcome
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by studentofTruth: 12:08am On Jul 23, 2020
All I can see in these comments is the fear of the innocent that the system created a trap for them and on the other side, the criminal minded fellows are wishing they're the ones that have that loophole in their hands.

But why can't the government take care of this loophole once and for and save the innocent citizens of being abused by corrupt law enforcement officers, as well as block the criminals of gaining access to people's hard earned money?

It's a pity being born a Nigerian!

1 Like

Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by Nobody: 12:20am On Jul 23, 2020
Bukasint:
Am facing same challenge here. The new Glo sim I got is showing alert of FCMB or Eco bank and I usually get alert. I called the customer bank they told me to go to police station and report. I was like how does this concern police when you guys can deactivate it or simply call the customer to come and do the needful. This is a month plus and am enjoying the 4G Glo sim and Yakata bonus....the alert keep coming. I just hope nothing bad happens.
I think I need to get to the bank and make official report but this country people hardly believe those telling the truth or trying to do the needful,you might be labelled a thief or something bad...
they might call police on u inside the bank, this will seems u did the thing,my own na FCMB alert too but na 750naira balance, it the former owner na small girl or underage no money ever enters.
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by michaelbills(m): 12:26am On Jul 23, 2020
Guy solve this issue. Worst thing is when an innocent man suffers in Nigeria. They are already calling you JUDE. Clearly that sim was used by a fraudster. Report the sim to the your the relevant company.

Emmypure:
the same thing happened to me with my previous MTN sim, I am receiving account maintenance debits from first bank, and the account have a balance of 2.9 million, but it look like it is an abandoned account, and I received call from people calling me jude, and asking me where I was, why did I abscond etc, I was tired and destroyed the Sim.
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by vickybantin(m): 12:28am On Jul 23, 2020
it's not a big issue. the sim has been previously used by the person...and he/she linked the number to a bank account. now the person probably have misplaced the sim,or the person is dead or something.... numbers are been recycled after long time of no use and re-given to another person. all u need to do is lay complain to the bank and mtn. it will be resolved.
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by Roseey0(f): 12:51am On Jul 23, 2020
Ignore if you have been using it for a while without such alert
Customer service can make mistake while entering a number for alerts for that customer that owns the account.
We see it alot in banking.
A customer will come complaining that he/she requested for alerts but is still not getting it and when you ask them to call out their phone number you will see one or 2 numbers were mismatched.

It's just human error.

You should only return if the alerts started from day1 of using the sim

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Nigerian Awake Someone Somewhere Is Monitoring Your Calls. Photo Proof / Infinix Zero Complaint Thread / FCMB Staff Dies Using Phone's Torch To Operate Generator (Graphic Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.