Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,437 members, 7,812,305 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:26 AM

I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim - Phones (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim (70483 Views)

Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone / What Is The Cost Of A New SIM Card In Your Area? / Has Anyone Been Able To Buy A New SIM Card Since The Ban Was Lifted? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by MrPaul2: 7:22pm On Jul 22, 2020
MegaPlayBoy:
Hello guys, I need help
I keep receiving bank alerts from access bank in the new mtn sim I bought even though I have no access bank account.
The names attached to the alerts are also different and strange
I don't know where this is coming from, should I destroy the sim and get another?

If you really don't want trouble, destroy it and get a new one. You don't know if the said sim is on wanted list of Nigeria police force, you know this is Naija and SARS will not even listen to you when they eventually get to you via that sim card.
Provision store they say is better than ...... grin
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by robosky02(m): 7:22pm On Jul 22, 2020
MegaPlayBoy:

Its a relatively new sim, can I destroy it
I don't want Trouble

OK this how it works

When a line is not been used for up to six months and above.
The normally recycle the line by the operator eg MTN and sell it in another location

So that's what happened to your line it was been used by another person.
But unfortunately maybe the didn't block it well that's why you are getting the text message of the old user.

Nothing to worry its normal sometimes you may even get calls saying they want to speak to the real owner which is the previous owner.

The solution

1 go to the bank ask them to stop the text

2. If you have not used it for long you can reach the old owner and exchange it with him
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by Nobody: 7:23pm On Jul 22, 2020
I have the same issue with the glo line l bought some months ago. I have been receiving bank alerts on every transaction carried out, but recently, someone sent a text message asking after the welfare of his brother who's apparently a soldier at the war front in Maiduguri. I called the sender to tell him he sent his sms to a wrong number only to be told the line used to be his brother's who was injured at the war front. It was then the alerts made sense to me. Up till now, l still receive alerts on the said number.
MegaPlayBoy:
Hello guys, I need help
I keep receiving bank alerts from access bank in the new mtn sim I bought even though I have no access bank account.
I don't know where this is coming from, should I destroy the sim and get another?

1 Like

Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by chatinent: 7:24pm On Jul 22, 2020
ibolord:

I am out of Naija but I sent people to track him, seems he removed the sim. The number is not going through till today.
You can still track him still. Allow me help you.
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by sinola(m): 7:24pm On Jul 22, 2020
You better make a formal report with the bank customer care before buhari's daughter will claim that you have cloned her line as usual

1 Like

Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by bonna4u(m): 7:25pm On Jul 22, 2020
sweettease:
So weird... since it is a new sim and you're probably not attached to it, ditch it and get a new one before you will start telling stories that touch. If you're attached to it, you can try calling access bank and mtn to resolve the issue.
He has already registered it, I guess. The best course of action is to go lay a complaint at access bank. They would know what to do.
I had the same issue with an airtel sim I bought in January. Mine was first bank and I don't have an account with them. I went to first bank and complained. I stopped receiving the alerts, but I still get calls occasionally from the associates of the fomer owner of the sim.
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by pocohantas(f): 7:26pm On Jul 22, 2020
SenecaTheYonger:

They can afford that. They make $$billions in profit annually

It is not about making billions in profit, it is about not encroaching into another person’s space. You are a bank, focus on banking. Except you decide to get access from telecom companies, that is if the various governing bodies approve this.

These telecom companies also have their own godfathers who might be against some banks. There is the issue of unauthorized access to sensitive information. Would you be happy to know that every telecom company has given banks access to your line? You will still be the one to shout o. Access is not responsible for this abeg. Pity them... cheesy
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by Ghostmode2two(m): 7:30pm On Jul 22, 2020
udy4real:
I also recently started receiving bank alerts from FCMB and I don't have any account with them,well I didn't bother myself I just ignored it,do you guys mean it might be dangerous for me to have ignored it?

I hope you heard of that guy from Alsaba, Delta State that bought a new MTN SIM thT was formerly used by Aisha Buhari which later got the guy into trouble when DSS got him arrested. What these networks are doing by recycling numbers so fast is not good to me.
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by Bolincosugar1: 7:30pm On Jul 22, 2020
Everything about our system is a mess. A friend of mine who left for Canada had a terrible experience about this same Sim issue. His MTN Sim was sold to another person and that was all. His account was cleared to the last Kobo within the twinkle of an eye.
My guy still dey pay ghese o. All the money sent to him by friends to help them get cars became wahala o.
He called his bank , nothing was done about it . To even get the account blocked was another drama entirely.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by MegaPlayBoy: 7:31pm On Jul 22, 2020
Thank you everybody.
I am moving the MTN office and The bank immediately
I don't want DSS to carry me abeg
Those of you who asked me to drain the hard earned money of an innocent human being shall get their appropriate judgement. I WILL NEVER DO SUCH

2 Likes

Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by 4ckTOT0: 7:33pm On Jul 22, 2020
MegaPlayBoy:

I don't want Trouble
your phone is logged. ypur location is logged. just report to mtn. avoid bank
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by adanny01(m): 7:39pm On Jul 22, 2020
MegaPlayBoy:

I don't want Trouble

Start preparing your defence. Report to MTN and Access bank.
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by DesChyko: 7:40pm On Jul 22, 2020
MegaPlayBoy:
Hello guys, I need help

I also had this issue with a line I bought. I reported this to Access Bank and was asked to write a letter to this regards.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by tunary(m): 7:49pm On Jul 22, 2020
MegaPlayBoy:
Hello guys, I need help

Please let me help you destroy it please

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by drololaaof: 7:53pm On Jul 22, 2020
Destroying the SIM is going to worsen your problem in future since you do not have fraudulent intent. You been adviced by two people to lodge complain both in mtn and ACCESS bank. Good luck
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by DavidEsq(m): 7:56pm On Jul 22, 2020
MegaPlayBoy:
Hello guys, I need help

I strongly believe it's Buhari's wife's sim card. Ur own brand of DSS detention don dey ripe small small
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by GMBuhari: 7:56pm On Jul 22, 2020
You are recieving strange alerts on your new sim and you cried out immediately abi ?

Unlike one idiot who mistakingly bought one of Buhari's childrens's sim and used it to defraud other people

with that sim , most banks would let you buy airtime without pincode, GTB does that for instance , if you do that and the real owner knows, they will report you to their bank, then MTN will hand your details to police

I am not saying this to teach you fraud or anything, i am just saying you made the right choice coming online to ask questions , someone spent 7 months or so in DSS custody for defrauding the first family and their friends , the case is still in court

MegaPlayBoy:
Hello guys, I need help

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by bigtt76(f): 8:01pm On Jul 22, 2020
It's a recycled number or network glitches resulting in SMS or voice calls routed in error.

sweettease:
So weird... since it is a new sim and you're probably not attached to it, ditch it and get a new one before you will start telling stories that touch. If you're attached to it, you can try calling access bank and mtn to resolve the issue.
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by Moneyboyz: 8:02pm On Jul 22, 2020
That is how I opened a new Gmail account and started receiving UBA bank alerts. I didn't do anything with it.

Is it by force you leave an email account if you don't have one. It happened that the person has submitted my new email in the past as his email address in UBA bank without ever owning the email. I registered it god knows now many years or months later and started receiving mails meant for him.
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by ShenTeh(m): 8:16pm On Jul 22, 2020
SenecaTheYonger:

Access banks system should be able to detect when there's a change in sim user, since the new user will register his picture and other info, it won't match with that of the bank and Access bank systems should flag it.

Really?

Ones bank should automatically be able to detect how you use your SIM! Somebody wake me!
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by uyogabie(f): 8:18pm On Jul 22, 2020
That was how MTN sold one Honorable's number to me over 10 years ago.I'm still using it though but it wasn't fun initially.The wife kept calling and threatening me that I was the husband's mistress.Also his family and associate kept calling for one meeting or the other.
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by kabillionaire(m): 8:19pm On Jul 22, 2020
credit alerts or debit alerts
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by SirLakes: 8:20pm On Jul 22, 2020
Openbusiness4:
Story! You have nothing to worry about. It just means it's a line that has been recycled by the network, and it was the line that was tied to the former user's bank account. There was a time my old line was recycled. I didn't know. It was the line attached to a bank account that was dormant. Later I started using the account but was not getting any alerts. I then realize the new owner of the line was getting the alert. It took me another 2 months or so to finally go to the bank to ask them to change my account phone number to my new line, that I was not the owner of the old line again. No single money was stolen from me all through that period

Thank God say no be guy man the Sim dey with grin
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by ebiskem(m): 8:22pm On Jul 22, 2020
Just make sure you throw the sim into the Atlantic Ocean cos if some Hushpuppis pick that sim thereafter, you'll be answering for their fraud
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by SirLakes: 8:23pm On Jul 22, 2020
SenecaTheYonger:

Access banks system should be able to detect when there's a change in sim user, since the new user will register his picture and other info, it won't match with that of the bank and Access bank systems should flag it.
Is Access bank and MTN using the same database.., Is the new user using Access Bank

I can't laf o jare
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by SirLakes: 8:26pm On Jul 22, 2020
Goddyj:
My own Sim na one sister Joy Amaka get am. I don receive birthday message from Firstbank Taya. The only thing be say them no dey send me alert angry

Lol, auntie Joy no get Shishi for the account grin

1 Like

Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by seanwilliam(m): 8:30pm On Jul 22, 2020
AgentGoat:
Go give them there sim first. A word is enough for the wise.

leave the magaboy make he dey do strong head.. leave till naija police reason him matter... him eye go clear
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by friday2011(m): 8:31pm On Jul 22, 2020
Why destroy the sim?

Go to access bank and get it sorted...

The owner of the account could have written the number in error or the customer services officer who open the account or did phone update...

That one na small issue na.
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by Chemicalboy1: 8:32pm On Jul 22, 2020
sunshineV:

Who is they?

Guy shit happens o....saw a thread where a guy was tracked to his ouse nd accused on his sim being used in a stolen phone...long story short he paid 185k for d phone nd 50k bail....

Please run to mtn office nw
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by Pcstradamus(m): 8:32pm On Jul 22, 2020
Can you share the balance on that account? I want to check something.
MegaPlayBoy:
Hello guys, I need help

Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by greggng: 8:37pm On Jul 22, 2020
Emmypure:
the same thing happened to me with my previous MTN sim, I am receiving account maintenance debits from first bank, and the account have a balance of 2.9 million, but it look like it is an abandoned account, and I received call from people calling me jude, and asking me where I was, why did I abscond etc, I was tired and destroyed the Sim.

I don't know why you have to destroy the SIM. Didn't you register it with your details? Don't you know that when you insert a SIM to your phone, you can be tracked even if you decide to insert another SIM? The best approach is to take the SIM to mtn and make a report with them. Even if the SIM was used in the past to comit crime , you will not be held responsible ...cos your time start counting from when u became the new owner. Destroying the SIM without destroying the phone that harboured it is not a solution .
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by SirLakes: 8:39pm On Jul 22, 2020
robosky02:

2. If you have not used it for long you can reach the old owner and exchange it with him

Even if he could locate the owner, he shouldn't exchange with the person, his (new owner) details is now on it. The former owner should go and modify his number in bank

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Nigerian Awake Someone Somewhere Is Monitoring Your Calls. Photo Proof / Infinix Zero Complaint Thread / FCMB Staff Dies Using Phone's Torch To Operate Generator (Graphic Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.