Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,520 members, 7,812,619 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:16 PM

I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim - Phones (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim (70496 Views)

Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone / What Is The Cost Of A New SIM Card In Your Area? / Has Anyone Been Able To Buy A New SIM Card Since The Ban Was Lifted? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by SenecaTheYonger: 6:11pm On Jul 22, 2020
pocohantas:

How does it expose security lapses of Access bank? A customer gave a number and it is inputed in the system. How is it Access’s fault that the customer changed line and didn’t revert? How biko?!

Access banks system should be able to detect when there's a change in sim user, since the new user will register his picture and other info, it won't match with that of the bank and Access bank systems should flag it.
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by adisabarber(m): 6:13pm On Jul 22, 2020
MegaPlayBoy:

Its a relatively new sim, can I destroy it
I don't want Trouble

Contact the bank publicly on twitter

1 Like

Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 6:13pm On Jul 22, 2020
chatinent:

Permit me to tutor you. A SIM for a bank account receiving alerts can be drained. In the simplest form, the money can be moved to another account using USSD codes, or even airtime purchases. When it gets to an official like MTN or the Banker's bank, it's the worst. A fraudulent staff can move the whole money and clear logs or implicate sb else. This is experience chapter one verse two. There are other ways too but the one above is the simplest.
without a pin?
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by Seeker091: 6:14pm On Jul 22, 2020
1.Call the customer care representative to rectify the problem and never forget to put your phone on record while having conversation with the agent too. It will serve as a reference for future purpose.

2. Get to the nearest MTN booth for quick response.

3. Hit up the Bank involved on their Twitter account in reference to this malicious messages. Narrate your ordeal via DM. Never forget to screenshots your conversation with them too.

Safe journey grin

Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 6:14pm On Jul 22, 2020
sinkhole:
do you mean telecom company will contact bank? That is impossible!
if they dont then they will have a solution to it whatever the case.
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by Bukasint(f): 6:15pm On Jul 22, 2020
Am facing same challenge here. The new Glo sim I got is showing alert of FCMB or Eco bank and I usually get alert. I called the customer bank they told me to go to police station and report. I was like how does this concern police when you guys can deactivate it or simply call the customer to come and do the needful. This is a month plus and am enjoying the 4G Glo sim and Yakata bonus....the alert keep coming. I just hope nothing bad happens.
I think I need to get to the bank and make official report but this country people hardly believe those telling the truth or trying to do the needful,you might be labelled a thief or something bad...

1 Like

Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by lagosrd: 6:15pm On Jul 22, 2020
The moment you inserted the Sim into your phone, you're culpable my bro. And before the Sim was released to you , you gave some kind of info.

You should go to the nearest police station to lodge a complain or go to any court to make direct complaint to that effect.

If you have time proceed to mtn office and lodge a complain, also make sure that you record your interaction with them .meanwhile tell them to give you a written apology and

You must keep the Sim pack and the receiot oif the sim you're complaining of should in case they want to use police against you before they effect then change.
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by DaSailor: 6:15pm On Jul 22, 2020
Access banks system should be able to detect when there's a change in sim user, since the new user will register his picture and other info, it won't match with that of the bank and Access bank systems should flag it. [/quote]

And how will the system be able to detect it? It is the account holder that should notify Access bank if there is a change in his personal banking details and not vice versa.
If you do not know the banks are indemnified in this case as it is assumed it is the customer that has compromised his/her details.
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by xrisdon(m): 6:16pm On Jul 22, 2020
MegaPlayBoy:
Hello guys, I need help
I keep receiving bank alerts from access bank in the new mtn sim I bought even though I have no access bank account.
The names attached to the alerts are also different and strange
I don't know where this is coming from, should I destroy the sim and get another?

I have a friend that lost his SIM long time now, the number linked to his access bank account and have not updated it since then.

Can you tell me the alphabets that starts his names, to know if he is the one, (eg) P B for play boy.
Thanks
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by pocohantas(f): 6:16pm On Jul 22, 2020
SenecaTheYonger:

Access banks system should be able to detect when there's a change in sim user, since the new user will register his picture and other info, it won't match with that of the bank and Access bank systems should flag it.

I don’t get you? Is Access a telecom company? How do you expect a banking system to detect change in SIM CARD USERS?
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by sinkhole: 6:16pm On Jul 22, 2020
SenecaTheYonger:

the account owner is careless, simple! It is the duty of an account owner to report and request changes to the details of their account!
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by JamitoIntl: 6:17pm On Jul 22, 2020
See, the network provider regularly recycle dormant Sims, once it has been inactive for some time meaning they reproduce the Sims and sell to new customers.
The alerts and acc no obviously belong to the previous owner of the Sim. I suspect it's all those yeye deductions /end of month sms, not of any serious transactions.
If the person is doing serious transactions with that account, even if he lost the sim, he would have gone to do welcome back or ask his bank to change his alert phone number.
In other words, you stand no risk using the Sim after all you cannot even access the account using the information in the alert sms alone , since the account no is usually incomplete. So do not fear.
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by ADMAF(m): 6:19pm On Jul 22, 2020
MegaPlayBoy:
Hello guys, I need help
I keep receiving bank alerts from access bank in the new mtn sim I bought even though I have no access bank account.
I don't know where this is coming from, should I destroy the sim and get another?

IS it pre-registered? Whether or not you destroy the card, it is very important for you to report the issue to mtn. This will safe guard against any potential problems with security agencies.
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by olayinkajnr(m): 6:19pm On Jul 22, 2020
bigdammyj:
Don't take to access bank cos they might carry you to write statement in police station so just take to MTN and let them decide what to do
Thanks for this info

Big lies.

Got a sim too and every month, I receive NPOWER salary alert on it from Fidelity Bank. I simply took it to Fidelity Bank to lay my complaints, checked their system and I wrote a disclaimer and that's all.

@OP, go to the bank to report it and you are good.
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by falcon01: 6:20pm On Jul 22, 2020
FuckUsername:
nothing will happen to him.
same sim was relocated to me and I used it a lotta times to load airtime via the person's account
hahah same shit happened to me I've recharged like 10k from the Accountcheesy
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by chatinent: 6:20pm On Jul 22, 2020
INDUSTRIALFAN:
without a pin?
A pin is not necessarily needed for a hack so far you'll got the number.
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by DaSailor: 6:22pm On Jul 22, 2020
Exactly my point.
sinkhole:
the account owner is careless, simple! It is the duty of an account owner to report and request changes to the details of their account!
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by Almunjid(m): 6:23pm On Jul 22, 2020
dozeman:

After doing so, whether they rectify the issue or not never use the line again, fortunately you haven't used the line for too long. Break it and get a virgin line.

We should also learn to avoid buying recycled line......
Do we still have virgin lines? Most of the lines we use were recycled. grin
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by Baamm(m): 6:23pm On Jul 22, 2020
Yes. Get another sim or go and obtain a court affidavit then go to the network office to re-register the sim in your own name to avoid stories that touch
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by SenecaTheYonger: 6:25pm On Jul 22, 2020
pocohantas:

I don’t get you? Is Access a telecom company? How do you expect a banking system to detect change in SIM CARD USERS?

That is the security lapses I was talking about. Access bank must have a telecom department, no matter what. I can see how what OP's problem can be exploited by scammers.
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by SenecaTheYonger: 6:25pm On Jul 22, 2020
sinkhole:

True
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by pocohantas(f): 6:27pm On Jul 22, 2020
SenecaTheYonger:

That is the security lapses I was talking about. Access bank must have a telecom department, no matter what. I can see how what OP's problem can be exploited by scammers.

Lol. A financial institution should in addition to having a banking license, acquire a telecom license?

What next? They should have an engineering department that would ensure the cars of customers are in good condition. Lest they have accidents on the way to the bank. grin
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by freeborn02: 6:29pm On Jul 22, 2020
sweettease:
So weird... since it is a new sim and you're probably not attached to it, ditch it and get a new one before you will start telling stories that touch. If you're attached to it, you can try calling access bank and mtn to resolve the issue.

I fell for your teasing smile. Can we connect, talk, develop friendship?
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by oyejideogunjumo: 6:30pm On Jul 22, 2020
Take it back to any mtn office. Where you bought it may be a road side and unregistered office. Take your receipt along with its pack. Ensure you make protocopy of everything you are taking along and copy of your statement you write there. After that go and have a report at a police station to document with copies of all your submitted with mtn and your complaints at mtn office and get your documentation number then you are free. Always delete the alert for your security purposes
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by NelsonMM: 6:31pm On Jul 22, 2020
MegaPlayBoy:
Hello guys, I need help

where is your location I want to buy the sim from you
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by Ojugunrege(f): 6:32pm On Jul 22, 2020
Emmypure:
the same thing happened to me with my previous MTN sim, I am receiving account maintenance debits from first bank, and the account have a balance of 2.9 million, but it look like it is an abandoned account, and I received call from people calling me jude, and asking me where I was, why did I abscond etc, I was tired and destroyed the Sim.

JUDE!!!! So this is you? shocked Why did u abscond na? grin
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by Geeflow(m): 6:33pm On Jul 22, 2020
just go to any State High Court and swear an affidavit stating clearly every of your connection and the Sim card.
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by DaSailor: 6:33pm On Jul 22, 2020
Not at all.... Your personal banking details are your responsibility, there is contact center and I think that's enough.
I have of someone who lost over N1m in less than 24 hours, cos the SIM was recycled.
He is in diaspora and has not used SIM for over 2 years, the new owner gets an alert, sees the balance and proceeds to make withdrawals.
Luckily, he gets email notifications, that's what saved him if not that account would have been emptied.

SenecaTheYonger:

Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by Slymonster(m): 6:34pm On Jul 22, 2020
INDUSTRIALFAN:
how will they suck it dry? The sim only receives alert and money can't be withdrawn with phone number. Not even bvn as people make one believe. Safety of ur bvn is so people dont use you to register for things you know nothing about. To get money out of the owners account, you'll need their card details and ATM card pin.

You are obviously a learner. You know nothing. That account can be drain very easy. Just pray your stuff don't fall in the wrong hands.

If that number is even on the person main Facebook account or register to anything. I have access to that account already and can change everything.
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by Rapsowdee01(m): 6:35pm On Jul 22, 2020
udy4real:

Jesu but I have been using that number for over 5 years

That was why i said the only way you might not have issues is if the person who owns it doesn't complain because he hasn't had any reason to suspect and no fraudulent activity has taken place on his account
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by Nobody: 6:35pm On Jul 22, 2020
Return to the nearest MTN office

Nairalanders, see my signature
Re: I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim by Nobody: 6:35pm On Jul 22, 2020
udy4real:
I also recently started receiving bank alerts from FCMB and I don't have any account with them,well I didn't bother myself I just ignored it,do you guys mean it might be dangerous for me to have ignored it?

Yes it not that it might be, it is. It is extremely dangerous for you to keep receiving bank alerts you have no business with.

You need to write two abatement notice. One to the network provider and the other to the bank.

Make your complain that you do not wish to keep recieving the alerts.

Ensure both letters are acknowledged and keep your acknowledged copies.

That will save you huge stress in the future.

Should anything happen to the account, you will be a prime suspect.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Nigerian Awake Someone Somewhere Is Monitoring Your Calls. Photo Proof / Infinix Zero Complaint Thread / FCMB Staff Dies Using Phone's Torch To Operate Generator (Graphic Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.