Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,835 members, 7,828,052 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:51 PM

The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) (13951 Views)

Hausas And Fulanis In Enugu Taking Refuge In Army Barracks - Ekweremmadu / Ambode Has Just Sold Us To The Hausas In Mile 12 / Diezani Allison-Madueke Elected As OPEC Alternate President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by Nadanbata: 2:17am On Apr 21, 2011
Katsumoto:

You are right to an extent that there will be problems in the new republics but one can't really say what problems will exist. But I know one problem will go away: the killing of innocent youth corpers who get slaughtered while supposedly serving their nation. I am pro-Nigeria but in so far as there is peace. What is the purpose of a unified nation when people get slaughtered like cows by fellow citizens for one ludicrous reason or the other? If and when Nigeria splits, any southerner who ventures into Northern will only have himself/herself to blame for any deadly misfortune.

If the break-up of Nigeria will eliminate the killings of innocent people, then Nigeria should split.

How about the innocent killings by Armed robbers, That means people cant travel freely around Nigeria? If Hausa go will that stop ?

All i want people to see is that this is not the main problem bothering Nigeria. Fix the CORRUPTION you fix all of Naijas problems like JUJU or GEJ's Magics numbers  smiley . PDP + Elites = the Nigerian mans enemy. The sooner people realise the better.
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by ektbear: 2:17am On Apr 21, 2011
Nadanbata:

Not just UN, trade agreements, diplomatic etc etc. Travel, business. It would put an stop to all that some would recognise all the states, some only Nigeria. Situation could drag on for years. Thats even before any refrendum was put together. What if 45% agree to split 55% dont? You think there wont be trouble/civil war that would put us back 50 years? Split aint no Abracadabra let me tell all who think its easy like them JUJU numbers 99.89% GEJ pulled at home  cheesy cheesy
No, it isn't that hard. Chekoslovakia split up pretty easily and amicably. Follow the same template that they used. Or the Soviet Union used. They negotiated a split in under one year. It isn't as hard as you say.

Plus I still need an explnation of how splitting will eliminate the corruption thats holding us back? Or Is people beleive the corrupted leaders up North are causing the 419 in the Delta? Or rather is it your own leaders causing your own 419?.
Again, corruption is not the only reason to split the country. There are plenty of other good reasons.
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by Nadanbata: 2:26am On Apr 21, 2011
@ ekt_bear

-List your reasons for splitting the country please.

-Sorting out the problem Collectively is better because as we are now we have all the resources, man power, brains to make us the the real beacon of Africa.

- With regards to splitting what if we CANT agree or half dont want to split? Igbo man can say to Yoruba man "No i dont recgonise Yorubaland I want Nigeria" And Nigeria is what is recgonised for everything. or If all the Hausas vote for seperation but Southeners say no, will that cause friction ? etc etc ill say again its not abracadabra just cause Yoruba may want to go doesnt mean you can any time you want for if the rest dont agree theres a problem.
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by Nobody: 2:28am On Apr 21, 2011
Nairaland is represented predominantly by southerners and so a lot of the comments about hausas lately are very negative and I wanted to use this thread as an avenue to let hausa members (esp. those living in the north) to air their own views and opinion on the current affairs in Nigeria.

I personally am trying to see things a bit from northern perspective because I know we are all human beings and people tend to rationalize the decisions that they make. I think i've had enough igbo/yoruba perspective of the "barbaric" northerners. This thread is for Hausa to speak for themselves.

there was a liberian guy with a hausa mother [or so he claimed] who used to defend hausas here, but he said he was going to serve in congo or something, and has been mia since then.

hausas in general are very laidback [outside of the rioting problem], and might consider it beneath them to reply the kind of posts and accusations on nairaland.

just my opinion.

not saying there are none who would do so.
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by kcjazz(m): 2:32am On Apr 21, 2011
@Nadanbata

Thank you for your time to defend your people. There are definitely good Hausa people out there. Splitting doesn't solve this problem; education, good governance at all levels and true federalism will solve violence long term. Any other measure is temporary.
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by naijaking1: 2:34am On Apr 21, 2011
Nadanbata:

@ ekt_bear

-List your reasons for splitting the country please.

-Sorting out the problem Collectively is better because as we are now we have all the resources, man power, brains to make us the the real beacon of Africa.

- With regards to splitting what if we CANT agree or half dont want to split? Igbo man can say to Yoruba man "No i dont recgonise Yorubaland I want Nigeria" And Nigeria is what is recgonised for everything. or If all the Hausas vote for seperation but Southeners say no, will that cause friction ? etc etc ill say again its not abracadabra just cause Yoruba may want to go doesnt mean you can any time you want for if the rest dont agree theres a problem.

You can never claim to be serious in sorting out this countries problems if you don't address some basic and natural inequites such as depriving the Niger Delta of their oil in the name of federal ownership, lopsided creation of states and local government to favour the north, and the criminal falsification of the census to diminish one tribe against the others. The list goes on, and on.
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by Nadanbata: 2:45am On Apr 21, 2011
naijaking1:

You can never claim to be serious in sorting out this countries problems if you don't address some basic and natural inequites such as depriving the Niger Delta of their oil in the name of federal ownership, lopsided creation of states and local government to favour the north, and the criminal falsification of the census to diminish one tribe against the others. The list goes on, and on.

That 'favouring' of the North is it not carried out by the PDP Elites of Nigeria? Or are you saying the Elites are only Hausa. For i dont see no Aboki as governor of Rivers state. Since 1999 Was it Not Obasanjo as president and now GEJ ? or are they secretley Hausawa?

The elites it dont matter Igbo/Yoruba/IJAW/Hausa/Tiv are all eating from Nigeria where as all their people are struggling. Almajari are not the one pollute your land in the Delta and stealing the oil.
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by ektbear: 2:46am On Apr 21, 2011
@Nadanbata:

1. I don't want to spend too much time debating the merits of splitting for reasons X, Y, and Z. Long story short, if the constituent components of Nigeria feel the need to part ways, they don't really owe anyone an explanation for their feelings.
2. I believe in taking large problems and breaking them down into smaller, more manageable chunks. There is no economy of scale, greater efficiency we get from being one country. Nothing is really gained. It is really just a game for sharing the Niger Delta's oil wealth, really.
3. Already, Nigeria has been logically split up into 6 zones. At least in theory (ignoring oil wealth, the glue that binds the country together), I don't see why Zone A should be able to block Zone B from leaving Nigeria, if they so desire. Territorial integrity is important. . . but the current system is not working, and needs to be revisited. Really, if there was no money at stake, we'd all have split up already.
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by Nadanbata: 2:58am On Apr 21, 2011
ekt_bear:

@Nadanbata:

1. I don't want to spend too much time debating the merits of splitting for reasons X, Y, and Z. Long story short, if the constituent components of Nigeria feel the need to part ways, they don't really owe anyone an explanation for their feelings.
2. I believe in taking large problems and breaking them down into smaller, more manageable chunks. There is no economy of scale, greater efficiency we get from being one country. Nothing is really gained. It is really just a game for sharing the Niger Delta's oil wealth, really.
3. Already, Nigeria has been logically split up into 6 zones. At least in theory (ignoring oil wealth, the glue that binds the country together), I don't see why Zone A should be able to block Zone B from leaving Nigeria, if they so desire. Territorial integrity is important. . . but the current system is not working, and needs to be revisited. Really, if there was no money at stake, we'd all have split up already.

1) still have not answered the need
2) lol thats why we appoint governors who get allocated money to put in the work in their own region. But they are corruput. Just cause you name it Yorubaland dont mean anything if the same people are heading tings. I agree things need to be decentralized but you need good leaders to do so, splitting doesnt make them appear like that.
3) Bros all that HausaLand and YorubaLand stuff was centuries ago, we are now Nigeria and have to live with the laws and consitution now. not then. Theres only the terrotial integrity of Nigeria. All that Business in Lagos is done under the Federal Republic of Nigeria and a Yoruba man is just as Nigerian as a Hausa man. Thats the cold facts bros.

I agree if there was no money the elites wouldnt have an intrest in keeping Nigeria one. But the fact is there is one and they want to loot and keep the money for themselves. So they will keep us by force Igbo elite wont give two shits if his people want to leave same as Hausa and Yoruba cuase they are enjoying. We need focus on how we overturn them instead of blame ethnicity in Nigerias problems.

For the record I dont mind splitting but they wont let it nor will it change anything, for our problem is leaders of Arewa (North) not Igbo or Yoruba people.
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by Nadanbata: 3:02am On Apr 21, 2011
kcjazz:

@Nadanbata

Thank you for your time to defend your people. There are definitely good Hausa people out there. Splitting doesn't solve this problem; education, good governance at all levels and true federalism will solve violence long term. Any other measure is temporary.

I dey try bros. I agree 100% the sooner people realise we have a common enemy the better. wink
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by Beaf: 3:04am On Apr 21, 2011
Nadanbata:

That 'favouring' of the North is it not carried out by the PDP Elites of Nigeria? Or are you saying the Elites are only Hausa. For i dont see no Aboki as governor of Rivers state. Since 1999 Was it Not Obasanjo as president and now GEJ ? or are they secretley Hausawa?

The elites it dont matter Igbo/Yoruba/IJAW/Hausa/Tiv are all eating from Nigeria where as all their people are struggling. Almajari are not the one pollute your land in the Delta and stealing the oil.

Yes, after ruling the country for 38 years most are bound to be Hausa or Fulani. Your PDP excuse is very lame and annoying and only goes to show that you prefer to live in denial of the facts that are as obvious as daylight. Are Southern youth corpers PDP people, or are churches PDP members?
There is a culture of murder and arson in Northern Nigeria that needs to be put down with equal or overwhelming violence; the tradition of murdering Southerners must stop.

For your information, PDP was formed mainly by Northern elite, so why not kill yourselves up there when the thirst for blood arises and leave it at that? Why kill Southerners and the children they have suffered to bring up with love and sacrifice? I feel so angry.
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by Nadanbata: 3:16am On Apr 21, 2011
Beaf:

Yes, after ruling the country for 38 years most are bound to be Hausa or Fulani. Your PDP excuse is very lame and annoying and only goes to show that you prefer to live in denial of the facts that are as obvious as daylight. Are Southern youth corpers PDP people, or are churches PDP members?
There is a culture of murder and arson in Northern Nigeria that needs to be put down with equal or overwhelming violence; the tradition of murdering Southerners must stop.

For your information, PDP was formed mainly by Northern elite, so why not kill yourselves up there when the thirst for blood arises and leave it at that? Why kill Southerners and the children they have suffered to bring up with love and sacrifice? I feel so angry.

Everbody has their point of view, If you feel common Almajari is the reason theres no developemnt in your village so be it. If you think its an Hausa mans blood to kill so be it. If you think its solely Islam that kills so be it. If you think Its the Emirs that run SS/SE so be it.

I have condemed those that have targetted Christians, but i refuse to let the actions of a few taint the image for all.
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by Onlytruth(m): 3:21am On Apr 21, 2011
I'm laughing at thought of seeking the perspective of murderers.

It is like a thief breaks into your house, steal all your property, ra -pe your wife, kill all your kids, and escapes. Next day you see the same thief sitting somewhere jeje sipping a champagne, and you go to ask him why he did what he did. undecided undecided

Some southerners indirectly encourage these northerner I swear.

I would really like for there to be a first time anywhere in southern Nigeria where indigenes wake up one day to target these northerners and kill as many as possible. cool

That alone will change northern thinking.  cool Nonsense.
Abeg keep your yeye opinions to yourselves. A young national youth copper is missing in Bauchi.  undecided  angry
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by Onlytruth(m): 3:21am On Apr 21, 2011
I'm laughing at thought of seeking the perspective of murderers.

It is like a thief breaks into your house, steal all your property, ra -pe your wife, kill all your kids, and escapes. Next day you see the same thief sitting somewhere jeje sipping a champagne, and you go to ask him why he did what he did. undecided undecided

Some southerners indirectly encourage these northerner I swear.

I would really like for there to be a first time anywhere in southern Nigeria where indigenes wake up one day to target these northerners and kill as many as possible. cool

That alone will change northern thinking.  cool Nonsense.
Abeg keep your yeye opinions to yourselves. A young national youth copper is missing in Bauchi.  undecided  angry
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by Jenifa1: 3:37am On Apr 21, 2011
Crude Oil:

Okay. . . so because they did not kill any of your family/friend two days ago you have decide to applaud and appreciate them. No problem.

what do you mean by "they"?
you mean the 25 million hausa population or a couple of disgruntled rioters?

MEND had their own violent outbursts too. why aren't Niger Deltans labelled as barbaric?
obviously there is ethnic sentiments involved and we are not thinking rationally. let us try to reason logically and understand our issues other wise, free free to find another thread (there are tons of them already) to express your angry emotions.
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by ektbear: 3:48am On Apr 21, 2011
Nadanbata:

I agree if there was no money the elites wouldnt have an intrest in keeping Nigeria one. But the fact is there is one and they want to loot and keep the money for themselves. So they will keep us by force Igbo elite wont give two shits if his people want to leave same as Hausa and Yoruba cuase they are enjoying. We need focus on how we overturn them instead of blame ethnicity in Nigerias problems.

For the record I dont mind splitting but they wont let it nor will it change anything, for our problem is leaders of Arewa (North) not Igbo or Yoruba people.

I'm starting to think that the elites are not really the problem. They are a symptom of the disease, not the disease itself. If these elites are defeated, new elites will rise up to take their spots.

It is Animal Farm-type sh1t.

The elites are not the problem, the system is. The British for the most part designed Nigeria properly. Three independent states meeting together at the middle in a weak federation. Unfortunately, the mistake they made is that they did not go far enough. They simply should have granted independence to three separate nations rather than one. Independent nations is the correct model for Nigeria, not the current setup.
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by Ystranger: 3:59am On Apr 21, 2011
Jenifa_:

what do you mean by "they"?
you mean the 25 million hausa population or a couple of disgruntled rioters?

[size=18pt]MEND had their own violent outbursts too[/size]. why aren't Niger Deltans labelled as barbaric?
obviously there is ethnic sentiments involved and we are not thinking rationally. let us try to reason logically and understand our issues other wise, free free to find another thread  (there are tons of them already) to express your angry emotions.

That statement proves that you 'aint' Nigerian. Sorry I just have to point it out.

You call MEND's agitation for resource control 'violent outbursts?'

You are really daft indeed. Maybe its time for you to go back to Latvia, where you really belong. Your understanding of Nigeria is very limited, almost Zero frankly.

The internet is not Nigeria. If you really want to understand Nigeria, you need to go live there, at least for a day.

Just because your BF is Nigerian, does not give you the audacity to make bold erroneous assertions, borne out of ignorance and the desire to be regarded as an authority, on Nigerian issues.
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by Ystranger: 4:01am On Apr 21, 2011
cheesy grin cool
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by ektbear: 4:08am On Apr 21, 2011
Relative to the centralized, top-down presidential system we have now, yes.

The center needs to be weak (or possibly nonexistent), not strong.
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by Jenifa1: 4:10am On Apr 21, 2011
For me its simple. Dont blame the Almajari (homeless/beggers etc). They are a Product of the (knowing) faliure of Naija leadership (PDP). Blame PDP with ther $1000 suits. SMH.

Buhari didnt order no riots, it was spontaneous. And of course I condem all violence targetted at the minortites in the North.

Nadanbata, you know I wish there were more hausas on nairaland. your comments are definitely welcome.
hausas live in the worst poverty in nigeria so it makes sense that this is about resources. besides poverty, what else do you think is a problem?

hausas are much more conservative than the rest of nigeria and very protective of their culture. Even the british were barred from bringing chrsitian missionaries to the north talkless of them tolerating southern christians.

i'm assuming you are muslim. what is your opinion of southern christians in the north?
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by OAM4J: 4:12am On Apr 21, 2011
Breaking apart to me is not the solution. decentralization, resource control and true federalism will solve more than 70% of our problems.

I like this piece from Sanusi, it is an interesting read for those of you who have not read it before.

[size=13pt][b]Sanusi Lamido Faults Sir Olaniwun Ajayi On Northern Domination[/b[/size]]

The Central Bank Governor, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, surprised guests present at the Muson Centre for the launching of the book of Sir Olaniwun Ajayi at the Muson Centre in Lagos.

The book titled: “Nigeria, Africa’s failed asset?” attracted many important dignitaries, intellectuals and some governors.

“Let me start by saying that I am Fulani (laughter). My grandfather was an Emir and therefore I represent all that has been talked about this afternoon. Sir Ajayi has written a book. And like all Nigerians of his generation, he has written in the language of his generation.

“My grandfather was a Northerner, I am a Nigerian. The problem with this country is that in 2009, we speak in the language of 1953. Sir Olaniwun can be forgiven for the way he spoke, but I can not forgive people of my generation speaking in that language.

“Let us go into this issue because there are so many myths that are being bandied around.

Before colonialism, there was nothing like Northern Nigeria. Before the Sokoto Jihad, there was nothing like the Sokoto caliphate. The man from Kano regard himself as bakane. The man from Zaria was bazazzage. The man from Katsina was bakatsine. The kingdoms were at war with each other. They were Hausas, they were Muslims, they were killing each other.

“The Yoruba were Ijebu, Owo, Ijesha, Akoko, Egba. When did they become one? When did the North become one? You have the Sokoto Caliphate that brought every person from Adamawa to Sokoto and said it is one kingdom. They now said it was a Muslim North.

“The Colonialists came, put that together and said it is now called the Northern Nigeria. Do you know what happened? Our grand fathers were able to transform to being Northerners. We have not been able to transform to being Nigerians. The fault is ours.

Tell me, how many governors has South West produced after Awolowo that are role models of leadership? How many governors has the East produced like Nnamdi Azikiwe that can be role models of leadership? How Many governors in the Niger Delta are role models of leadership? Tell me. There is no evidence statistically that any past of this country has produced good leaders.

You talk about Babangida and the economy. Who were the people in charge of the economy during Babangida era? Olu Falae, Kalu Idika Kalu. What state are they from in the North?

“We started the banking reform; the first thing I heard was that in Urobo land, that there will be a curse of the ancestors. I said they (ancestors) would not answer. They said why? I said how many factories did Ibru build in Urobo land? So, why will the ancestors of the Urobo people support her?

“We talk ethnicity when it pleases us. It is hypocrisy. You said elections were rigged in 1959, Obasanjo and Maurice Iwu rigged election in 2007. Was it a Southern thing? It was not.

“The problem is: everywhere in this country, there is one Hausa, Ibo, Yoruba and Itshekiri man whose concern is how to get his hands on the pile and how much he can steal.

Whether it is in the military or in the civilian government, they seat down, they eat together. In fact, the constitution says there must be a minister from every state.

“So, anybody that is still preaching that the problem of Nigeria is Yoruba or Hausa or Fulani, he does not love Nigeria. The problem with Nigeria is that a group of people from each and every ethnic tribe is very selfish. The poverty that is found in Maiduguri is even worse than any poverty that you find in any part of the South. The British came for 60 years and Sir Ajayi talked about few numbers of graduates in the North (two at independence). What he did not say was that there was a documented policy of the British when they came that the Northerner should not be educated. It was documented. It was British colonial policy. I have the document. I have published articles on it. That if you educate the Northerner you will produce progressive Muslim intellectuals of the type we have in Egypt and India. So, do not educate them. It was documented. And you say they love us (North).

“I have spent the better part of my life to fight and Dr. (Reuben) Abati knows me. Yes, my grandfather was an Emir. Why was I in the pro-democracy movement fighting for June 12? Is (Moshood) Abiola from Kano? Why am I a founding director of the Kudirat Initiative for Nigerian Development (KIND)?

“There are good Yoruba people, good Igbo people, good Fulani people, good Nigerians and there are bad people everywhere. That is the truth.

“Stop talking about dividing Nigeria because we are not the most populous country in the world. We have all the resources that make it easy to make one united great Nigeria. It is better if we are united than to divide it.

“Every time you talk about division, when you restructure, do you know what will happen? In Delta, Area, the people in Warri will say Agbor, you don’t have oil. When was the Niger Delta constructed as a political enlity? Ten years ago, the Itshekiris were fighting the Urobos. Isn’t that what was happening? Now they have become Niger Delta because they have found oil. After, it will be, if you do not have oil in your village then you can not share our resources.

“There is no country in the world where resources are found in everybody’s hamlet. But people have leaders and they said if you have this geography and if we are one state, then we have a responsibility for making sure that the people who belong to this country have a good nature.

“So, why don’t you talk about; we don’t have infrastructure, we don’t have education, we don’t have health. We are still talking about Fulani. Is it the Fulani cattle rearer or is anybody saying there is no poverty among the Fulani?”, he said

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2009/nov/20/national-20-11-2009-00-10.htm
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by Ystranger: 4:15am On Apr 21, 2011
Jenifa_:

Nadanbata, you know I wish there were more hausas on nairaland. your comments are definitely welcome.
hausas live in the worst poverty in nigeria so it makes sense that this is about resources. besides poverty, what else do you think is a problem?

[size=18pt]hausas are much more conservative than the rest of nigeria and very protective of their culture.[/size] Even the british were barred from bringing chrsitian missionaries to the north talkless of them tolerating southern christians.

i'm assuming you are muslim. what is your opinion of southern christians in the north?

So Yorubas and Igbos are not proud of their culture, in your opinion, that is why they embraced western education?  So being close minded and lacking foresight = Being more conservative?

Interesting indeed.
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by ektbear: 4:22am On Apr 21, 2011
OAM4J:

Breaking apart to me is not the solution. decentralization, resource control and true federalism will solve more than 70% of our problems.
What practical difference is there between that and splitting up? Why not just divide? They are the same thing. . . except you have to deal with an additional layer of bureaucracy at the center.

Why not cut out that additional layer?

The above federation you propose, why wouldn't it be better to just have a customs union of some sort instead? NAFTA, essentially?
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by Ystranger: 4:25am On Apr 21, 2011
ekt_bear:

What practical difference is there between that and splitting up? Why not just divide? They are the same thing. . . except you have to deal with an additional layer of bureaucracy at the center.

I agree.

Lets wait for OAM4J to defend himself. grin

Maybe he would post another article by Sanusi to defend himself.

:::SMH:::

Sanusi ko, Lamido ni
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by Nadanbata: 4:33am On Apr 21, 2011
ekt_bear:

I'm starting to think that the elites are not really the problem. They are a symptom of the disease, not the disease itself. If these elites are defeated, new elites will rise up to take their spots.

It is Animal Farm-type sh1t.

The elites are not the problem, the system is. The British for the most part designed Nigeria properly. Three independent states meeting together at the middle in a weak federation. Unfortunately, the mistake they made is that they did not go far enough. They simply should have granted independence to three separate nations rather than one. Independent nations is the correct model for Nigeria, not the current setup.

Bro I understand what you are saying, But we have to work with what we have now. Splitting is impossible who will let the split happen? The only way a split could happen is 1) Civil war 2) GOOD leaders grant it.

In the case of 1) I doubt that will happen. When 2) happens Naijas problems will be solved and all that decentralize stuff will be implemented and there would be no reason for a split anyway.

Do you understand what im saying ? The elites will never ever let there be a split peacfully so we might as well work with what we have. Stop with the ethnic rubbish, Analyse these elections, create an opposition campaign and lobby the people, they dont do what they said vote them out. No more rigging of our elections, espicially Governor elections for they are the key to sucess in each little piece of the jigsaw called Nigeria.
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by ektbear: 4:36am On Apr 21, 2011
Imo, Economic Community of the Niger and Benue Rivers >>>> Nigeria.

Everyone keeps what he earns, and we negotiate a free trade zone of some sort. Common currency is fine. Separate governments, separate police forces, no ability for one state to shake down another for cash.

This is true federalism. In fact, a federalism so pure and true, it is indistinguishable from having separate nations  wink
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by OAM4J: 4:43am On Apr 21, 2011
ekt_bear:

The above federation you propose, why wouldn't it be better to just have a customs union of some sort instead? NAFTA, essentially?

You are forgetting a fact that our population size is still a plus for us. For instance, our market size attracts foreign investments. Besides there is beauty in our diversity.

Tell me, will you prefer US as it is or do you think each state will fair better on its own?
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by adconline(m): 4:44am On Apr 21, 2011
I dey try bros. I agree 100% the sooner people realise we have a common enemy the better

Going by the above statement, are corp members enemies or members of PDP? Do  your so called common enemies reside in churches and shops owned by southerners?
How about the fact that Northerners controlled power in Nigerian for about 38 years and these rioters never considered those in power their common enemy? What do you have to say  about the same PDP that rigged Yar'dua into office by manipulating election results in 2007? What do you have to say  about  some northern governors who are ANPP members , yet they are as corrupt as PDP governors and we dont see these rioters demonstrating against them? What do you have to say about   IBB, a northerner who cancelled  1993 elections in which a southerner -MKO won? What do you have to say about   MKO who  died  while in custody when a northerner- Abacha was the head of state?

Where was northern outrage when these events occured in Nigeria?
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by nduchucks: 4:48am On Apr 21, 2011
Dredge the Niger river, work out a very amicable sharing formula for offshore oil, for the next 300years, and you people can go in peace. I'm pretty sure we may have to come and rescue you from annihilating yourselves with 2 years of your separation.

Truth is, when your common enemy, the boogey man, the North, is no longer in the equation, you will start killing each other off. I know it sounds weird, but its true. Why do you think their are more Igbo living in the North than in the SE? When all of ya'all are repatriated back to the SE, the Abriba type battles of old will be child's play. It may be the same story all across the SW

You southerners have colluded with the so-called leaders of the North long enough and you are co conspirators, perpetrating all types of attrocities upon the masses, ensuring that we remain uneducated. We'll we are on to you, note how the so-called leaders are being targeted. Insha Allah, we shall chase them all the way to the south where you people can keep them.
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by Nadanbata: 4:51am On Apr 21, 2011
@ Jenifa

Same as Nigerians really but worse in some cases. Lack of education, zero opportunity, terrible healthcare, zero security. Lack of electricty has killed of all manufacturing, Agricultue sector is shocking, Roads are shocking. Thats why when you come North you see Boys and Men "a bakin titi" (by the roadside) chilling.

This what makes me laugh when i hear people saying 'they' (Hausa) have taken our money and what not. For 'they' is a select few of individuals who include most of Nigerias ethnicities but yet they want to say its Hausa man fault when your own chief dey steal from the pot to! You think if Hausa go your chief wont continue to steal from the pot? Or is it you want more for him and zero for our chiefs ?  cheesy cheesy

Southern Chritians are cool of course have many of them as friends. Somebody ask me where im from I give same answer as them. Thats where i learn my small small pidegon English from wink wink . Ethnicity is used to hold us back as a nation, but us educated ones know thats not an issue but the problem is theres millions of our brothers who arent so lucky to know that due to the state that the country is in.
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by ektbear: 4:53am On Apr 21, 2011
OAM4J:

You are forgetting a fact that our population size is still a plus for us. For instance, our market size attracts foreign investments.
Wouldn't the market size of the  Economic Community of the Niger and Benue Rivers be exactly equal to that of the Nigerian Federation?

Besides there is beauty in our diversity.
Err, what Beauty, ke? What does that have to do with what we are talking about? grin

Tell me, will you prefer US as it is or do you think each state will fair better on its own?
But. . . we are very happy with the status quo in the US. There aren't really separatist movements. It isn't one size fits all. That Nigeria is better off splitting doesn't mean the US is too. Or if you think Nigeria should stay one, does that mean the US and Canada should merge into one country? The US and Canada have FAAAAR more cultural and ethnic similarity than say Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa. Yet they are happy as two separate countries. Why is it by force for Nigeria to remain one?
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by Jenifa1: 4:54am On Apr 21, 2011
Ystranger:

So Yorubas and Igbos are not proud of their culture, in your opinion, that is why they embraced western education?  So being close minded and lacking foresight = Being more conservative?

Interesting indeed.

yorubas and igbos are less protective/defensive of their traditional culture. yes
and if you re-read my post you will see that I didn't make any moral value judgements on the comment.

I'm not sure if you deliberately chose a clownish personality for yourself on NL. but I think you ought to have a little bit of self-respect.

OAM4J:

I like this piece from Sanusi, it is an interesting read for those of you who have not read it before.

I'm in favor of staying united as well. I support the idea of federalism but I don't think it should be too strict otherwise, I fear that government in the three regions will be radically different it will be very hard to work together as a nation. then we might as well break into three separate countries.
how do you mean by resource control?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Shippers Shun Lifting Nigeria’s Crude / FCT Polls: APGA Protest As INEC Declares Gwagwalada Area Council Inconclusive / "Okonkwo Is The Only Original Anambra APC Aspirant With a Difference - Delegates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.