Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,674 members, 7,820,366 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:43 PM

The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) (13941 Views)

Hausas And Fulanis In Enugu Taking Refuge In Army Barracks - Ekweremmadu / Ambode Has Just Sold Us To The Hausas In Mile 12 / Diezani Allison-Madueke Elected As OPEC Alternate President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by Ystranger: 5:00am On Apr 21, 2011
OAM4J:

You are forgetting a fact that our population size is still a plus for us. For instance, our market size attracts foreign investments. Besides there is beauty in our diversity.

If this is all about population size as you have poorly articulated, why is the US not trying to bring Mexico and Canada into the 'Union?' Afterall, that would make the 'amalgalmated union of the US, canada, and Mexico' more diverse and more beautiful,  going by your thinking.

Tell me, will you prefer US as it is or do you think each state will fair better on its own?

The reason the US works is because they have a clear majority that decides the direction of the 'union.' White power constitute 70% of the population. They run everything( from media to education to policy to pop culture to government to  name it),  and you either have to fall in line or fall out. In Nigeria, it is different. We dont have a clear majority, hence the reason for the chaos and constant acrimony. The only solution is to break the effing country into pieces already. Let us find our way and chart our future.

This is no US and we will never be peaceful like the US.
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by ektbear: 5:02am On Apr 21, 2011
ndu_chucks:

Dredge the Niger river,
It should be dredged, yes. But whether it is or not, you won't own downstream. That the river is dredged doesn't mean you get to take your ships through another man's territory.

work out a very amicable sharing formula for offshore oil, for the next 300years,
300 years is obviously too long. If you are still dependent on oil wealth in even 20 years time and haven't found another revenue source, you'll have failed.

I suspect they'd be willing to give you (and I, since I am from Ekiti, a non-oil producing state) 20 years of the CURRENT oil sharing formula, then some amount rapidly decaying after that, eventually being 0 by year 40 or so. Any of course, any new reserves found, any new resources found remain with the subsequent states.

Your best bet really is to shake down the Abachas, IBBs, and the other such families who have plundered government money. You can probably recover $10 or $20 billion from them. If that lump-sum of cash is invested wisely, you will prosper.

and you people can go in peace. I'm pretty sure we may have to come and rescue you from annihilating yourselves with 2 years of your separation.
Irrelevant. Nobody would want your help anyway, they'd ask for the UN, EU or AU to help.
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by Nadanbata: 5:02am On Apr 21, 2011
adconline:

I dey try bros. I agree 100% the sooner people realise we have a common enemy the better

Going by the above statement, are corp members enemies or members of PDP? Do  your so called common enemies reside in churches and shops owned by southerners?
How about the fact that Northerners controlled power in Nigerian for about 38 years and these rioters never considered those in power their common enemy? What do you have to say  about the same PDP that rigged Yar'dua into office by manipulating election results in 2007? What do you have to say  about  some northern governors who are ANPP members , yet they are as corrupt as PDP governors and we dont see these rioters demonstrating against them? What do you have to say about   IBB, a northerner who cancelled  1993 elections in which a southerner -MKO won? What do you have to say about   MKO who  died  while in custody when a northerner- Abacha was the head of state?

Where was northern outrage when these events occured in Nigeria?

Have I not condemed the actions commited against Christians? If there was a functioning state with security, the small number of people that have actually caried out killings of innocents would be found and tried. Unless of course you think its the whole Nothern popolus ?  

Our common enemies reside In most positions of power. I dont support PDP no matter who the candidate is 12 years of no development is more than enough bros. If you aint tired of PDP keep voting them in.

One thing however that I will not accept is the fact that some people think that Southern leaders havent conspired with Northern Leaders to keep Naija backwards. If you cant get over this hurdle theres no point having a discussion.
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by SEFAGO(m): 5:09am On Apr 21, 2011
This is boring as shiit when is the name calling going to begin? Man Beaf and Igbo guys you don fall my hand ooh, I expected you guys to spice up this boring thread

Anyways @ the random Hausa guy

I heard the Hausa has a "born to rule mentality" and they believe that Aso Rock is their birthright

Why is that so?

Infact I was just talking to my friend about it- he is doing his NYSC and was an election officer during the elections in the North. He is scared as shiite for his life. urrently, he is now running for his life angry.Infact prior to the elections he was teaching in a school in the North and telling me how uninterested the kids are in school.  I told him that when he was in lagos he should by lots of "egba (cane)" and beat the shiite out of those kids. But he told me he was not ready to die yet.

What are your thoughts on this matter? Why are you guys disinterested in education?

In every school I attended in Nigeria the bottom of the class was solidly composed of Hausa, the middle of the class Igbo with some sharing the bottom with hausa and the top students of the class Yoruba.

Do you have a reason for this? Culture?
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by Nadanbata: 5:10am On Apr 21, 2011
@ Ystranger

To me the issue is not wether to split or not. For its is tottally impossible to split before we get Good Leaders and a working government. Unless your talking civil war option which will takes us back 50 years.

I seriously think talking about split is waste of time because it wont happen. We should focus on getting an opposition that can give us the changes we desire. PDP is not the answer regardless of ethnicity. I hope CPC remains as an active party for these elections have shown me PDP's dictatroship can be broken and will be soon.
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by ektbear: 5:12am On Apr 21, 2011
Ystranger:

The reason the US works is because they have a clear majority that decides the direction of the 'union.' White power constitute 70% of the population. They run everything( from media to education to policy to pop culture to government to  name it),  and you either have to fall in line or fall out. In Nigeria, it is different. We dont have a clear majority, hence the reason for the chaos and constant acrimony. The only solution is to break the effing country into pieces already. Let us find our way and chart our future.

This is no US and we will never be peaceful like the US.

+1000.

I guess in nation-building, too many cooks (Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, and the many other groups in naija) spoils the stew.

Most successful nations have one dominant cook. And nations that don't follow this template for the most part either fail, or practice some sort of strong federalism/autonomy that makes the constituent components essentially independent.
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by Jenifa1: 5:13am On Apr 21, 2011
OAM4J:

You are forgetting a fact that our population size is still a plus for us. For instance, our market size attracts foreign investments. Besides there is beauty in our diversity.

Tell me, will you prefer US as it is or do you think each state will fair better on its own?

exactly. this is the #1 reason Nigeria needs to stay as one. I have said it before but we do live in a globalized world now where it's us against other countries. size definitely matters. but of course, unity matters just as much. how can we defend ourselves against foreign aggressors when we are trying to defend ourselves against each other.

yea US was originally 13 small  independent colonies as well. they united against britain. and then expanded even further. it makes sense.
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by OAM4J: 5:15am On Apr 21, 2011
ekt_bear:

Wouldn't the market size of the  Economic Community of the Niger and Benue Rivers be exactly equal to that of the Nigerian Federation?

Economic Community of the Niger and Benue Rivers  is your own creation/terminology. At the end of the day what you are proposing might not be too different from what I suggested. As long as there is an open boarder and many other unifying factors.

Err, what Beauty, ke? What does that have to do with what we are talking about? grin

Wont you envy me if I have 4 wives, 1 Yoruba, 1 Hausa, 1 Igbo and another Ijaw compare to your 4 all Ekiti wives  grin

But. . . we are very happy with the status quo in the US. There aren't really separatist movements. It isn't one size fits all. That Nigeria is better off splitting doesn't mean the US is too. Or if you think Nigeria should stay one, does that mean the US and Canada should merge into one country? The US and Canada have FAAAAR more cultural and ethnic similarity than say Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa. Yet they are happy as two separate countries. Why is it by force for Nigeria to remain one?

But US didn't achieve this status quo in 50 years. In the beginning you know it was not much different.

Actually I will probably not vote against splitting if there is a referendum to the effect. But like Nadanbata said we can not guarantee our present crop of leaders will allow it. So lets start by continuing  agitating for a weaker center, true federalism and resource control. These are more realistic IMO.

It is one of the reason I also support regional parties controlling their regions so we will only come to the center to negotiate. Imagine ACN in charge of SW, APGA in charge of SE, CPC in charge of the North and PDP fin charge of  SS and NC, we will be closer to true federalism than having PDP in charge of 28 states out of 36.
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by Katsumoto: 5:15am On Apr 21, 2011
ndu_chucks:

[b]Dredge the Niger river, work out a very amicable sharing formula for offshore oil, for the next 300years, and you people can go in peace. [/b]I'm pretty sure we may have to come and rescue you from annihilating yourselves with 2 years of your separation.

Truth is, when your common enemy, the boogey man, the North, is no longer in the equation, you will start killing each other off. I know it sounds weird, but its true. Why do you think their are more Igbo living in the North than in the SE? When all of ya'all are repatriated back to the SE, the Abriba type battles of old will be child's play. It may be the same story all across the SW

You southerners have colluded with the so-called leaders of the North long enough and you are co conspirators, perpetrating all types of attrocities upon the masses, ensuring that we remain uneducated. We'll we are on to you, note how the so-called leaders are being targeted. Insha Allah, we shall chase them all the way to the south where you people can keep them.  

Are those the real reasons why you are interested in Nigeria?
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by Ystranger: 5:17am On Apr 21, 2011
Jenifa_:

yorubas and igbos are less protective/defensive of their traditional culture. yes

Very wrong. DO us all a favor and do a literature serch on why the White man was succesful in Western and Eastern Nigeria Vs Northern Nigeria (if there was anything like that).

and if you re-read my post you will see that I didn't make any moral value judgements on the comment.

It is called inductive reasoning my Latvian friend. From your statement, I was able to make a rational conclusion that, by and large, is true. If you are stupidd and cant put two and two together to make four, that is your problem, not mine. I am not here to school you on Nigeria. I am not phoocking you, so I have no obligation whatsoever to be nice to you. I will call you out every time you act and make foolish statements here. As you can tell, a lot of people have taken notice.

I'm not sure if you deliberately chose a clownish personality for yourself on NL. but I think you ought to have a little bit of self-respect.

First of all, I have never misrepresented myself. I drink, eat, and breath Nigeria. You on the other hand havent been honest about yourself and your true aim on this forum. Anyone who lies, would eventually steal, so says an African proverb. You are here to warm your way into the hearts of unsuspecting forumites so you can carry out your true motive, which is scamming. I have no doubt in my mind that you are a phony, nothing more and nothing less.

If you have any decency in you, you will desist from lying and misrepresenting yourself here. Talking about self-respect, from a Nigerian wanna-be Latvian? What will my eyes not see here? LOL
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by Nadanbata: 5:18am On Apr 21, 2011
SEFAGO:

This is boring as shiit when is the name calling going to begin? Man Beaf and Igbo guys you don fall my hand ooh, I expected you guys to spice up this boring thread

Anyways @ the random Hausa guy

I heard the Hausa has a "born to rule mentality" and they believe that Aso Rock is their birthright

Why is that so?

Infact I was just talking to my friend about it- he is doing his NYSC and was an election officer during the elections in the North. He is scared as shiite for his life. urrently, he is now running for his life  angry.Infact prior to the elections he was teaching in a school in the North and telling me how uninterested the kids are in school.  I told him that when he was in lagos he should by lots of "egba (cane)" and beat the shiite out of those kids. But he told me he was not ready to die yet.

What are your thoughts on this matter? Why are you guys disinterested in education?

In every school I attended in Nigeria the bottom of the class was solidly composed of Hausa, the middle of the class Igbo with some sharing the bottom with hausa and the top students of the class Yoruba.

"born to rule mentality" is a myth. Maybe you believe in it? But i dont lols.

disinterested in education is a myth to. What Almajari will say no to good schooling given the opportuniy ?

With regards to your last point I dont know, maybe its jus genetic for Hausawa to be dumb ?  tongue tongue White man did tell us we have lower IQ's maybe we are blacker than your lot  cheesy cheesy
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by adconline(m): 5:19am On Apr 21, 2011
[b]Have I not condemed the actions commited against Christians? If there was a functioning state with security, the small number of people that have actually caried out killings of innocents would be found and tried. Unless of course you think its the whole Nothern popolus ?  

Our common enemies reside In most positions of power. I dont support PDP no matter who the candidate is 12 years of no development is more than enough bros. If you aint tired of PDP keep voting them in.

One thing however that I will not accept is the fact that some people think that Southern leaders havent conspired with Northern Leaders to keep Naija backwards. If you cant get over this hurdle theres no point having a discussion.
[/b]

The issue is that southern masses have not taken up arms  to kill northerners when events in Nigeria that didnt favor their position occured. It seems that you are sounding apologetic for  folks who are killing because PDP won. I'm not a fan of PDP, but u cannot wake up  this year blame all the problems we have today on PDP while  northerners had been in power for about 38 years. It was Abdul Salam with IBB who imposed PDP on us, so the north is not in anyway exonerated from PDP's bad governance nay Nigeria's bad leadership in which the north held sway for 38years.
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by Jenifa1: 5:21am On Apr 21, 2011
SEFAGO:

read the article by sanusi. he mentions that the british intentionally banned education in the north.
i think hausas themselves also, because they rejected christianity, caused the lack of western education which came mostly through missionaries.

to this day, I think there is a fierce resistance against Christianity.
I always used to believe that the conflict between north and south is mostly ethnic rather than religious but really ethnicity, culture and religion are intertwined.

i'm not hausa so I guess nadanbata can reply to correct my post and contribute his opinion as well.
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by Katsumoto: 5:23am On Apr 21, 2011
Jenifa_:

yorubas and igbos are less protective/defensive of their traditional culture. yes
and if you re-read my post you will see that I didn't make any moral value judgements on the comment.

You have it all wrong; you need to go back in history and understand why the emirs and the British did not permit western education in the North. It had nothing to do with conservatism but more to do with control.
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by darqly(m): 5:27am On Apr 21, 2011
IMO,the problem with the hausas is rooted in religion. Your typical hausaman,whilst seeking support, need only chant 'allahu akbar' and he'd garner a bandwagon of real rabble-rousers,riffraff types.What I can't stand is the fact that the more educated,exposed ones amongst them never call these ones to order. Needless to say, they silently endorse these acts of terror and mindless violence.I'm part hausa, the hausas I grew up with displayed the most indellible acts of sacrifice and compassion that shaped my formative years. But then, perhaps because they were family, or educated or not miserably poor as the bulk of most hausas are today.For me,the deadly,violent, virulent strain of islam prevalent in northern nigeria is to blame;the north will self destruct eventually, it's a question of WHEN.
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by ektbear: 5:27am On Apr 21, 2011
@Nadanbata:

Hrm. I keep reading your posts and getting a sense that you haven't picked up on what happened this weekend. Let me very blunt.

The PDP has been taken over by a new clique, primarily SS based (with some folk from the SE who think themselves allies, but will soon find out that they are slaves this upcoming gubernatorial election.)

By taking power, this clique has kicked out you Northern boys. In order to do this, they rigged an election massively. Everyone knows it was rigged. Yet the entire world is approving of these elections, calling them the freest and fairest in the world.

Your CPC and the North will never probably never taste power in this country again (at least while it remains one.) If it does, it will only be with the help of the SW (but it looks like our leadership is working with this PDP clique.) But it is quite likely that this clique, with full control of the federal apparatus can defeat both of us, even working in concert.

You need to stop these delusional dreams of yours and wake up to reality. There is no "we" anymore. This "we" type of language that Northerners use to pretend our differences don't exist only makes sense when you are running things. Notice that Goodluck is now the one using the "we" language  grin

I think your boy ndu_chucks gets it, but you don't seem to. Talk to him a bit and he will explain to you what is what.
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by darqly(m): 5:27am On Apr 21, 2011
IMO,the problem with the hausas is rooted in religion. Your typical hausaman,whilst seeking support, need only chant 'allahu akbar' and he'd garner a bandwagon of real rabble-rousers,riffraff types.What I can't stand is the fact that the more educated,exposed ones amongst them never call these ones to order. Needless to say, they silently endorse these acts of terror and mindless violence.I'm part hausa, the hausas I grew up with displayed the most indellible acts of sacrifice and compassion that shaped my formative years. But then, perhaps because they were family, or educated or not miserably poor as the bulk of most hausas are today.For me,the deadly,violent, virulent strain of islam prevalent in northern nigeria is to blame;the north will self destruct eventually, it's a question of WHEN.
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by SEFAGO(m): 5:31am On Apr 21, 2011
exactly. this is the #1 reason Nigeria needs to stay as one. I have said it before but we do live in a globalized world now where it's us against other countries. size definitely matters. but of course, unity matters just as much. how can we defend ourselves against foreign aggressors when we are trying to defend ourselves against each other.

yea US was originally 13 small independent colonies as well. they united against britain. and then expanded even further. it makes sense.

The issue though is that if Nigeria splits into several pieces it would not affect foreign investment in the long run per se. Its just that some people will get FDI way more than others. The west and now the east are only interested in Nigeria for raw materials, and that is why the western media has been referring to this election as "free and fair." They are quite happy at the outcome because oil will flow quite well and MEND will be getting amnesty every single second from their brother in power. This alone tells you that FDI would flow more into any were there is oil. Also Oyibo people will support anything that would push their interest.

Breaking up Nigeria will not really have much of an impact in terms of economics- just that several regions would go into extreme poverty (or maybe this mighty be an impetus for them to develop, we dont know for sure and its all an academic perspective), while would be doing quite great. The issue here is that a lot of the money made in such new countries might not trickle down to the masses in general but thats up for debate. I would have to agree though, after some thought and with significant reluctance, that "maybe splitting up might have some merits" for other people in general. It could considerably improve the lifestyle of the people in the SS, while drastically for a while affecting the lifestyle of SE and SW for a while . The SE claims that they are industrious is quite a myth (Okirika is not industry) and they would have to find a way of booming their economy. The SW claims to having large mineral deposits is null if foreigners do not invest in it. I dont think SW is at the stage of technical know how, to be capable of drilling oil or mining minerals. Western mining companies might be hesitant about investing in places without stable political environments. Also as usual sub-ethnic sentiments might come into play. The people of Ondo might start claiming that they want more share of the fiscal budget based on the fact that they produce the oil.

Personally, I like Nigeria as it is "big and unstable" than split into tiny pieces were I might have to apply for a "visa" to go to my more wealthy neighbors. Also immigration is going to occur assuming one country becomes more wealthy than the other.
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by SEFAGO(m): 5:39am On Apr 21, 2011
Nadanbata:

"born to rule mentality" is a myth. Maybe you believe in it? But i dont lols.

disinterested in education is a myth to. What Almajari will say no to good schooling given the opportuniy ?

With regards to your last point I dont know, maybe its jus genetic for Hausawa to be dumb ?  tongue tongue White man did tell us we have lower IQ's maybe we are blacker than your lot  cheesy cheesy

I thought it was a myth but a friend confirmed it. He lives in the North so its not "dem say."

Anyways would it be possible for me to marry hausa babe. Man the hausa girls are fine ooh, I used to have a crush on one of them when I was kid at 13, the chick was also 1 but she got married like 6 months after grin. Whatever c'est la vive. But yeah assuming their are some unmarried hausa girls of my age (quite unlikely) would they have a problem dating a non-hausa?

Thats another alternate perspective I am interested in. Inter-ethnic marriage and the Hausa issue with it.
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by Ystranger: 5:42am On Apr 21, 2011
OAM4J:

It is one of the reason[b] I also support regional parties controlling their regions so we will only come to the center to negotiate. Imagine ACN in charge of SW, APGA in charge of SE, CPC in charge of the North and PDP fin charge of  SS and NC, we will be closer to true federalism than having PDP in charge of 28 states out of 36.[/b]

So you are in favor of Tribalism?
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by OAM4J: 5:42am On Apr 21, 2011
SEFAGO:

The issue though is that if Nigeria splits into several pieces it would not affect foreign investment in the long run per se. Its just that some people will get FDI way more than others. The west and now the east are only interested in Nigeria for raw materials, and that is why the western media has been referring to this election as "free and fair." They are quite happy at the outcome because oil will flow quite well and MEND will be getting amnesty every single second from their brother in power. This alone tells you that FDI would flow more into any were there is oil. Also Oyibo people will support anything that would push their interest.

Breaking up Nigeria will not really have much of an impact in terms of economics- just that several regions would go into extreme poverty (or maybe this mighty be an impetus for them to develop, we dont know for sure and its all an academic perspective), while would be doing quite great. The issue here is that a lot of the money made in such new countries might not trickle down to the masses in general but thats up for debate. I would have to agree though, after some thought and with significant reluctance, that "maybe splitting up might have some merits" for other people in general. It could considerably improve the lifestyle of the people in the SS, while drastically for a while affecting the lifestyle of SE and SW for a while . The SE claims that they are industrious is quite a myth (Okirika is not industry) and they would have to find a way of booming their economy. The SW claims to having large mineral deposits is null if foreigners do not invest in it. I dont think SW is at the stage of technical know how, to be capable of drilling oil or mining minerals. Western mining companies might be hesitant about investing in places without stable political environments. A[b]lso as usual sub-ethnic sentiments might come into play. The people of Ondo might start claiming that they want more share of the fiscal budget based on the fact that they produce the oil. [/b]

Personally, I like Nigeria as it is "big and unstable" than split into tiny pieces were I might have to apply for a "visa" to go to my more wealthy neighbors. Also immigration is going to occur assuming one country becomes more wealthy than the other.

I agree with your post especially the bold. It is part of the issues Sanusi raised in his speech that I quoted. Make SS a country and it will no longer be North vs SS vs SE vs SW, but  Edo vs Itsekiri vs Urobo vs ijaw etc
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by Nadanbata: 5:42am On Apr 21, 2011
adconline:

[b]Have I not condemed the actions commited against Christians? If there was a functioning state with security, the small number of people that have actually caried out killings of innocents would be found and tried. Unless of course you think its the whole Nothern popolus ?  

[/b]

The issue is that southern masses have not taken up arms  to kill northerners when events in Nigeria that didnt favor their position occured. It seems that you are sounding apologetic for  folks who are killing because PDP won. I'm not a fan of PDP, but u cannot wake up  this year blame all the problems we have today on PDP while  northerners had been in power for about 38 years. It was Abdul Salam with IBB who imposed PDP on us, so the north is not in anyway exonerated from PDP's bad governance nay Nigeria's bad leadership in which the north held sway for 38years.  

Im not apologetic. Killing innocents is wrong. But you have to look at the root cause is it really Hausa Detest Christians like some people on Nairaland think? Or is there some other reasoning?

This issue is a product of Naijas faliure as a state. Just like Armed Robbers are just like Area Boys are. These are misinformed, uneducated youth. However the ones doing the actual killing are very very small in number.

Well actually I can blame PDP for they have done nothing in 12 years of power. Expect steal from the states coffers. Northerners and Southerners are both part of this Dictatorship.
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by OAM4J: 5:45am On Apr 21, 2011
Ystranger:

So you are in favor of Tribalism?

NO. Am in favor of regional/resource control as it was in the days of Awo, Zik and Bello, let each region develop at its pace while we also be our brother's keeper.
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by ektbear: 5:46am On Apr 21, 2011
Katsumoto:

Are those the real reasons why you are interested in Nigeria?
Hehe grin Cannot blame him; self-interest is natural.

@Sefago: Why are you so pessimistic about the SWs future prospects? roughly 10% of Nigeria's oil comes from Ondo. If we split, then Lagos controls its own port revenue. We contribute far more to VAT than we get out. The net change in money might actually not be too negative.

Furthermore, the oil reserves offshore our coast are substantial. As well as the 43 billion barrels of oil sands in the Lagos-Ogun-Ondo-Edo axis. Investment can and will come.

Also, what is wrong with Ondo controlling the lion's share of the resources produced from it in a SW nation? That is perfectly fine by me. Heck, not only should every state largely control what it produces, I'd go so far as to say every LGA should as well. If the Ilajes turn their LGAs into Riyadh with their oil wealth, that is perfectly fine by me; it still benefits Yorubaland as a whole. They'll need talent and labor to build their city. So long as they don't discriminate against me for being not Ilaje, then what is the problem?

Ondo should control whatever oil it produces, Lagos should control its ports, Ogun should get extract income from its factories, etc, etc. I envision a Yoruba Federation, not some heavy-handed, centralist Yoruba government. We cannot leave Nigeria only to replicate the mistakes made there.
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by Nadanbata: 5:49am On Apr 21, 2011
Jenifa_:

read the article by sanusi. he mentions that the british intentionally banned education in the north.
i think hausas themselves also, because they rejected christianity, caused the lack of western education which came mostly through missionaries.

to this day, I think there is a fierce resistance against Christianity.
I always used to believe that the conflict between north and south is mostly ethnic rather than religious but really ethnicity, culture and religion are intertwined.

i'm not hausa so I guess nadanbata can reply to correct my post and contribute his opinion as well.

Lol na theres no 'fierce' resistance to Christianty, Islam is the religon it will not change haha.
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by Ystranger: 5:56am On Apr 21, 2011
Nadanbata:

Lol na theres no 'fierce' resistance to Christianty, Islam is the religon it will not change haha.

Dont mind her.

She is a Latvian disguising as Nigerian.

She is a scammer I think.

Be careful ok?
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by OAM4J: 5:57am On Apr 21, 2011
ekt_bear:

Hehe grin Cannot blame him; self-interest is natural.

@Sefago: Why are you so pessimistic about the SWs future prospects? roughly 10% of Nigeria's oil comes from Ondo. If we split, then Lagos controls its own port revenue. We contribute far more to VAT than we get out. The net change in money might actually not be too negative.

Furthermore, the oil reserves offshore our coast are substantial. As well as the 43 billion barrels of oil sands in the Lagos-Ogun-Ondo-Edo axis. Investment can and will come.

Also, what is wrong with Ondo controlling the lion's share of the resources produced from it in a SW nation? That is perfectly fine by me. Heck, not only should every state largely control what it produces, I'd go so far as to say every LGA should as well. If the Ilajes turn their LGAs into Riyadh with their oil wealth, that is perfectly fine by me; it still benefits Yorubaland as a whole. They'll need talent and labor to build their city. So long as they don't discriminate against me for being not Ilaje, then what is the problem?

Ondo should control whatever oil it produces, Lagos should control its ports, Ogun should get extract income from its factories, etc, etc. I envision a Yoruba Federation, not some heavy-handed, centralist Yoruba government. We cannot leave Nigeria only to replicate the mistakes made there.

Whao! so we have to break it down to LGAs. Dont know how feasible that will be. Not also sure how it will work, that will only aid urbanization of some LGAs I think.

And what happens to your Ekiti, Oshun and Oyo States? send them back to farm? Some mechanized farming I guess  cheesy
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by SEFAGO(m): 6:04am On Apr 21, 2011

Although I am not phucking you either, I do feel pedantic, so I would go the extra mile and explain to you some points about Nigeria. Christianity was forced on everyone , the missionaries came with the bible and a gun. They did not just arrive in anywhere in Yorubaland or alaigbo with a bible and welcoming big smiles and hugs from Yoruba and Igbos. The missionaries were synonymous with colonialism and the slave trade, they dealt the shiite out of the igbos (read some history). If the British wanted to impose christianity on the Northerners, they could have done so easily. It might be more expensive than the diplomatic method of indirect rule but with their technological advantage (Guns versus Bows and arrows) they could have made every single Northerner as educated as the south and bible lovers if they wanted to. It would have of cause been a very costly campaign for the Brits but then they were getting a steady flow of cash from India-so what?

They just did not bother to do it because indirect rule was most effective.

More religious IMO. The cartoons created by the Belgian cartoonists and the riot that was an outcome had nothing to do with ethnicity.
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by Ystranger: 6:09am On Apr 21, 2011
OAM4J:

Whao! so we have to break it down to LGAs. Dont know how feasible that will be. Not also sure how it will work, that will only aid urbanization of some LGAs I think.

And what happens to your Ekiti, Oshun and Oyo States? send them back to farm? Some mechanized farming I guess  cheesy

It is called federalism, each Local Government should be autonomous in its own sphere, independent of, and coordinate with or equal to all
other governments in the Federation, my dear.

Each person in charge of his destiny

That said, with regards to economy/revenue, that is a totally different department entirely. So mechanized farming or no mechanized farming, when we get there, we will cross the bridge.
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by ektbear: 6:10am On Apr 21, 2011

I'm pro urbanization. Cities are the future of Africa, not rural villages.

And what happens to your Ekiti and Oyo States?
Is it the well-being of the Ekiti State that i am concerned about, or that of the people? The long-term well being of the people is most important to me, not the geo-political entity called Ekiti State. If Ilaje turns to Riyadh, won't that create lots of jobs and economic opportunity for the Ekiti people?

BTW, I'm not suggesting implementing this near-total resource control right away btw. I think Ekiti is at 10% IGR, some horrific # like that. Immediately cutting off revenue would cause a lot of suffering. . . lots of teachers laid off, public services scrapped, etc.

But how about some formula over time that gradually reduces its dependence on the FG (or in this case, the Yoruba Federation) and forces us to innovate and find new revenue sources? Say, keep current allocations, but decrease them by 5% a year over a 20 year period. Something like that. If we cannot increase revenue by 5% per year, we deserve to be poor. That is a very manageable and reachable target.

send them back to farm? Some mechanized farming I guess  
If infrastructure (roads, train, electricity, etc) is good, we could manufacture. Honestly, Yorubaland isn't that big. . . it isn't as if Ekiti is Siberia grin Anything industrial that can be done in Lagos or Ogun, we can do in Ekiti (again, assuming infrastructure is good), and do competitively (transportation costs are higher, but labor will be cheaper.)
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by Jenifa1: 6:18am On Apr 21, 2011
Katsumoto:

You have it all wrong; you need to go back in history and understand why the emirs and the British did not permit western education in the North. It had nothing to do with conservatism but more to do with control.

seeking or aiming to maintain status quo is about power and control. yes I know that. lol
but that wasn't my point. my point is i'm trying to relate it to present day events. ie asking nadanbata a question about why northerners are intolerant of southern christians today akin to the same way they were intolerant of british missionaries.

most people today don't look at the religious clashes as being about control or fight for self interest. they see it as irrational actions by a barbaric people.

read the post ystranger quoted from me, you will see how I used the comment as a segway to asking nadanbata a question about his views of religious intolerance today.
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by Jenifa1: 6:22am On Apr 21, 2011
Nadanbata:

the violent clashes in the north often have religious tones to it. why do the northern protesters attack christians especially. ie churches are burnt, recently 50 NYSC members of National Christian Corpers locked in a building and set on fire.

if this is not a resistance to christian encroachment, what is it?

I love that you are here to answer my questions.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

"Dump Bullet Proof Cars", Kalu Urges Governors / Buhari's Promises In Pictures, For Posterity. / Arrest Obj, IBB, Tinubu, Others To Show Seriousness In Anti-graft War - Asobie

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 138
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.