Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,084 members, 7,821,737 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:31 PM

Questions About Hell. - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Questions About Hell. (9757 Views)

Mad Man Preaching To Crowd About Hell Fire! (Video) / Bill Wiese: 'I Died & Went To Hell' (23 Questions About Hell) / The Right Way To Preach About Hell - Milton Goh (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Questions About Hell. by Hismasterpiece(m): 8:44pm On Sep 05, 2021
FarinJini:
No I did not. That is what you believe. The question is, is rejecting the "sacrifice" a sin or not?

Rejecting the sacrifice is not a sin.. it is an act of freewill.. when the Gospel is presented to a person that person has the right to receive it or reject it
Re: Questions About Hell. by LordReed(m): 9:20pm On Sep 05, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

It is a bitter pill to swallow... but one must swallow it nonetheless.

It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the Living God.

You statement above has me thinking that you believe God isn't Good for creating such a place.

Am i right to think so? Or am i wrong?

Since I don’t believe the god exists the answer is not straightforward. What it would seem is if a god exists that is orchestrating everything then yes that god is not good as we generally tend to think when we hear the word, the god would be better described as being totally amoral. The god would seem to lack any concern about how any of its aims are achieved even at the cost of so much suffering that should you ever be in the position to absorb 10% of the anguish you’d be sure to go insane, yet such a god continues to sit by absorbing untold amounts of suffering without a pip. Or maybe the god has already run mad hence the silence.
Re: Questions About Hell. by MaxInDHouse(m): 9:25pm On Sep 05, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

You don't understand. Everlasting life doesn't mean you'll live forever. Everybody will live forever. We are spirits and spirits don't die. As long as we are in our bodies we remain in this world, but when we leave our bodies we go to our eternal homes (heaven or hell). See Luke 16:19-31, 2 Corinthians 5:1-8. The rich man and lazarus both lived forever but in different places. And the apostle Paul talked about leaving his earthly home (physical body) and going to his heavenly home.

Jesus saying those who believe in Him will have everlasting life simply means that they will enter into fellowship with God and know God forever unlike those who don't believe in Him who will forever be out of fellowship with God.

Jesus said eternal life is to know God (see John 17:3).

Going by your logic one might think that the opposite of eternal life is eternal death (ceasing to exist) but that's not according to scripture. According to scripture, the opposite of eternal life is condemnation, which is the default state of all unbelievers. And condemnation doesn't mean you cease to exist when you die, but rather you still exist but in a state in which you're out of fellowship with God.

When a person dies their spirits leave their bodies (see James 2:26, Ecclesiastes 12:7) and go to their eternal homes (see Luke 16:19-31).

So in a nutshell both the righteous and the unrighteous will have everlasting life therefore no one is PERISHING! cheesy

Walahi Talahi you really defamed God's word:

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
Re: Questions About Hell. by Hismasterpiece(m): 9:46pm On Sep 05, 2021
obonujoker:
How can a Christian go to hell?? If you go a hell, then you are not a Christian. My pastor (Spiritual Father) will say a Christian is not a sinner, and a sinner is not a Christian

Jesus told a parable about a man who sowed wheat and while he slept his enemy sowed tares. The sower in this parable is the Lord Himself, the enemy is the devil, the wheat are the true believers, the tares are the false believers.

First of all you need to understand that there are two types of Christians according to the Bible.

A practicing Christian and a professing Christian.

A practicing Christian is a Christian who has repented of their sins, turned to God fully and walks in full and total obedience to Him. He is guided by the Spirit (see Rom 8:5, Rom 8:14)

A professing Christian is one who does believe but by their actions deny the Lord Himself. (see Titus 1:16). And if we deny the Lord, He will deny us also. (see 2 Timothy 2:12). (see also Mat 7:21-23). [/i]The people Jesus was talking about were believers who, although they believed and did many mighty works in His Name, never repented of their sins. And these are the Christians that will go to hell. They are carnally minded [i](see Rom 8:6-cool. They live according to the flesh and if you live according to the flesh you'll die, i.e go to hell (see Rom 8:13)

Jesus said -

Mat 10:32 "Therefore whoever confesses Me before men, him I will also confess before My Father who is in heaven.
Mat 10:33 "But whoever denies Me before men, him I will also deny before My Father who is in heaven.
Re: Questions About Hell. by Hismasterpiece(m): 9:53pm On Sep 05, 2021
LordReed:

Since I don’t believe the god exists the answer is not straightforward. What it would seem is if a god exists that is orchestrating everything then yes that god is not good as we generally tend to think when we hear the word, the god would be better described as being totally amoral. The god would seem to lack any concern about how any of its aims are achieved even at the cost of so much suffering that should you ever be in the position to absorb 10% of the anguish you’d be sure to go insane, yet such a god continues to sit by absorbing untold amounts of suffering without a pip. Or maybe the god has already run mad hence the silence.

God is Good. In His Goodness He offers eternal life to all.

In His Goodness He has revealed Himself to all so no one can say they never knew that He existed.

You have to understand that hell was never in God's original plan.

His original plan was to have all His creations in paradise for all eternity.

But His creations rebelled against Him, and in His Judgement He condemned the sinners.

God is Holy and Good.
Re: Questions About Hell. by LordReed(m): 10:11pm On Sep 05, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

God is Good. In His Goodness He offers eternal life to all.

In His Goodness He has revealed Himself to all so no one can say they never knew that He existed.

You have to understand that hell was never in God's original plan.

His original plan was to have all His creations in paradise for all eternity.

But His creations rebelled against Him, and in His Judgement He condemned the sinners.

God is Holy and Good.

How can we establish that aside from things that can't be seen or experienced?
Re: Questions About Hell. by Hismasterpiece(m): 10:23pm On Sep 05, 2021
LordReed:

How can we establish that aside from things that can't be seen or experienced?

Clarify your question.
Re: Questions About Hell. by LordReed(m): 10:43pm On Sep 05, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

Clarify your question.

How can we know the god is good aside from unseen and untestable things like eternal life, heaven and hell?
Re: Questions About Hell. by Nobody: 12:16am On Sep 06, 2021
LordReed:

How can we know the god is good aside from unseen and untestable things like eternal life, heaven and hell?
Can you help me with 500naira?

Please
I will be grateful
Re: Questions About Hell. by bobsage: 3:16am On Sep 06, 2021
Here’s an alternative understanding:
No argument about heaven and hell being real places.

The beliefs expressed here about hell and “Satan”seems to inspired by Dante’s Inferno, not the bible

“The Satan“ was created by God and is one of His most faithful angels, the way He deals with angels is totally different from the way he deals with men.

How God’s justice system lumps them together at the end is to me an interesting misreading of scripture

That it hell exists is not in question, it’s the nature of it that’s the bone of contention. First it’s not physical fire because physical fire cannot burn souls. It’s allegorical

And the nature and duration of the punishment is another issue. How long is it? Forever and ever? To accomplish what purpose?

All judgement of God towards man as revealed in the bible are always corrective, never vindictive. God is not going to punish a man forever and ever for rejecting Him that sounds like what a monster would do not a God of love who created human beings for his pleasure

Annihilation as indicated by CS Lewis, and a finite time period (not more than a year as alluded to by the rabbis) are more in line with scriptural thought

Eternal damnation was imported from Greek mythology and adopted by the Catholic Church of old and they used it as a tool of manipulation, intimidation and control, selling indulgences etc.

The Protestants took it along with them when they left the Catholic Church and that’s how we got here. And it’s still being used as a tool for manipulation, intimidation and control by the Protestants

1 Like

Re: Questions About Hell. by MaxInDHouse(m): 5:21am On Sep 06, 2021
Insightful but please next time try to add Bible quotations in order to confirm what you're saying is scriptural.
I'll do that for you!

bobsage:

Heaven ~ Genesis 1:1
Hell ~ Psalms 139:8

The beliefs expressed here about hell and “Satan”seems to inspired by Dante’s Inferno, not the bible
“The Satan“ was created by God and is one of His most faithful angels, the way He deals with angels is totally different from the way he deals with men.
Satan is one of God's spirit sons~ Job 1:6

How God’s justice system lumps them together at the end is to me an interesting misreading of scripture
God's thoughts differs from man's philosophy ~ Isaiah 55:8-9

That it hell exists is not in question, it’s the nature of it that’s the bone of contention. First it’s not physical fire because physical fire cannot burn souls. It’s allegorical
And the nature and duration of the punishment is another issue. How long is it? Forever and ever? To accomplish what purpose? All judgement of God towards man as revealed in the bible are always corrective, never vindictive. God is not going to punish a man forever and ever for rejecting Him that sounds like what a monster would do not a God of love who created human beings for his pleasure
God's judgment is about correction not cruelty ~ Proverbs 1:7

Annihilation as indicated by CS Lewis, and a finite time period (not more than a year as alluded to by the rabbis) are more in line with scriptural thought
The living are what pleases God He has no pleasure in the death of sinners, so at death He forgets them since they've proved to be ungrateful to the gift of life! Genesis 2:17

Eternal damnation was imported from Greek mythology and adopted by the Catholic Church of old and they used it as a tool of manipulation, intimidation and control, selling indulgences etc.
Roasting living people in fire as a means to torment them forever is not in line with God's thinking ~ Jeremiah 7:31

The Protestants took it along with them when they left the Catholic Church and that’s how we got here. And it’s still being used as a tool for manipulation, intimidation and control by the Protestants
The Churches of Christendom are just following the tradition passed on to them they don't really care to ascertain the truth of God's word! Mark 7:6-7 compare to Romans 10:2-3
Re: Questions About Hell. by LordReed(m): 8:39am On Sep 06, 2021
HellVictorinho:

Please
I will be grateful

Send your account details to lordmaximusreed at gmail dot com. And this time don’t publish my real name.
Re: Questions About Hell. by Hismasterpiece(m): 4:47pm On Sep 06, 2021
LordReed:

I still don't understand your question
Re: Questions About Hell. by Kobojunkie: 4:55pm On Sep 06, 2021
obonujoker:
How can a Christian go to hell?? If you go a hell, then you are not a Christian. My pastor (Spiritual Father) will say a Christian is not a sinner, and a sinner is not a Christian
Heaven and Hell both exist inside inside of the Kingdom of God and you first have to believe before you can become a citizen in this there Kingdom - John 3 vs 1 - 21. undecided

So yes, only Christians - the goats among His herd/flock can end up in Hell - Matthew 25 vs 40 - 46. undecided
Re: Questions About Hell. by Kobojunkie: 5:15pm On Sep 06, 2021
bobsage:

So following your argument, you believe Eternal reward makes sense, but Eternal damnation does not - Matthew 25 vs 31 - 46? undecided
Re: Questions About Hell. by Hismasterpiece(m): 5:34pm On Sep 06, 2021
bobsage:

And the nature and duration of the punishment is another issue. How long is it? Forever and ever? To accomplish what purpose?

All judgement of God towards man as revealed in the bible are always corrective, never vindictive. God is not going to punish a man forever and ever for rejecting Him that sounds like what a monster would do not a God of love who created human beings for his pleasure

What do you have to say about Matthew 25:41 where Jesus said, 'depart from me into THE EVERLASTING FIRE'.

What do you have to say about the rich man and lazarus story? (see Luke 16:19-31). Mind you, this wasn't a parable o. It is a real-life story.

Luke 16:22 "So it was that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels to Abraham's bosom. The rich man also died and was buried.
Luke 16:23 "And being in torments in Hades, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
Luke 16:24 "Then he cried and said, 'Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.'

You were wrong to say that the Bible got the concept of hell from dante's inferno. The concept of hell has been in the scriptures since the old testament.

Hell is a place of eternal punishment and all sinners will go there.

You were right to say that God doesn't deal with angels and men alike. But guess what? God does deal with all sinners alike and hell is a place for sinners whether or not they are angels or men as long as they are sinners they belong there.

Check out this post for clarity https://www.nairaland.com/6711638/very-false-christian-belief-afterlife
Re: Questions About Hell. by MaxInDHouse(m): 6:06pm On Sep 06, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

What do you have to say about Matthew 25:41 where Jesus said, 'depart from me into THE EVERLASTING FIRE'.

What do you have to say about the rich man and lazarus story? (see Luke 16:19-31). Mind you, this wasn't a parable o. It is a real-life story.

When Jesus' true followers come to your house to TEACH you Jesus' illustration you're calling them names due to the nonsense and ingredients infused in your heads by those bloodsucking pastors!

Lazarus and the rich man is not a real event but a parable. God's word says all the dead are sleeping in death until the day of judgment so Jesus wasn't talking about something that happened but a parable which you need to know the meaning of these symbolic terms:

©Lazarus
©Rich man
©Food on the table
©Crumbs falling from the table.
©Rich man's gate.
©Sour on Lazarus's legs and the dogs licking it.
©Their death.
©Abraham's bosom.
©Sheol (Hell)
©Droplets of water from Lazarus's fingertips.
©Chasm in between.
©Rich man's brothers.
©Moses and the Prophets.

Meditate on all these and try to figure out at what point in time this event happened before concluding that it is a real story! smiley
Re: Questions About Hell. by LordReed(m): 7:00pm On Sep 06, 2021
HellVictorinho:

Please
I will be grateful

Sent 2k.

2 Likes

Re: Questions About Hell. by LordReed(m): 7:02pm On Sep 06, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

I still don't understand your question

We can't see or test eternal life. heaven, hell and other unseen concepts so how can we know that your god is good?
Re: Questions About Hell. by Hismasterpiece(m): 7:21pm On Sep 06, 2021
LordReed:

We can't see or test eternal life. heaven, hell and other unseen concepts so how can we know that your god is good?

Because He sent His Son into the world to be the substitute for sinners.
Re: Questions About Hell. by LordReed(m): 7:54pm On Sep 06, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

Because He sent His Son into the world to be the substitute for sinners.

So a human sacrifice is how we can know your god is good?
Re: Questions About Hell. by Kobojunkie: 8:11pm On Sep 06, 2021
LordReed:
So a human sacrifice ... ?
Jesus Christ was not a human sacrifice to God. undecided
Re: Questions About Hell. by LordReed(m): 8:48pm On Sep 06, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Jesus Christ was not a human sacrifice to God. undecided

So he was not human or he was not a sacrifice, which one?
Re: Questions About Hell. by Kobojunkie: 8:52pm On Sep 06, 2021
LordReed:
So he was not human or he was not a sacrifice, which one?
My bad.. I meant to highlight both. undecided

He was not a human sacrifice unto God. undecided
Re: Questions About Hell. by Hismasterpiece(m): 9:08pm On Sep 06, 2021
LordReed:

So a human sacrifice is how we can know your god is good?

When you say a human sacrifice you make is seem like the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross is at par with the human ritual killings that happened in post-colonial Nigeria and still happen today and going by that logic you could never be any farther from the truth.

Those ritual killings included taking people's lives forcefully but the sacrifice of Jesus is not like that.

Jesus gave His Life by choice not by force. He left His throne and took off His Glorious Crown in exchange for a cross and a crown of thorns.

Would you like to know why He did that?

Because mankind was condemned because of our sins and God, because He Loves us didn't want us to bear the full weight of our sins had His own Son bear them. And now anyone who repents and believes in Him enters into fellowship with God forever.

Let me give you an example.

Say for instance you committed rape and murder and were sentenced to death by the firing squad.

And the father of the girl you raped and killed, instead of letting you die the death you deserved asked his own son to face the firing squad in your place and he does, and sets you free from having to face the firing squad yourself, would you say that man is good or would you say he is evil?

So, going by my explanation, my answer to your question is yes a human (substitutionary) sacrifice does prove that God is indeed good.
Re: Questions About Hell. by LordReed(m): 11:39pm On Sep 06, 2021
Kobojunkie:
My bad.. I meant to highlight both. undecided

He was not a human sacrifice unto God. undecided

Well he was either not a human or a sacrifice to not be a human sacrifice, if he was both then he was a human sacrifice.
Re: Questions About Hell. by LordReed(m): 12:55am On Sep 07, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

When you say a human sacrifice you make is seem like the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross is at par with the human ritual killings that happened in post-colonial Nigeria and still happen today and going by that logic you could never be any farther from the truth.

Those ritual killings included taking people's lives forcefully but the sacrifice of Jesus is not like that.

Jesus gave His Life by choice not by force. He left His throne and took off His Glorious Crown in exchange for a cross and a crown of thorns.

Would you like to know why He did that?

Because mankind was condemned because of our sins and God, because He Loves us didn't want us to bear the full weight of our sins had His own Son bear them. And now anyone who repents and believes in Him enters into fellowship with God forever.

Let me give you an example.

Say for instance you committed rape and murder and were sentenced to death by the firing squad.

And the father of the girl you raped and killed, instead of letting you die the death you deserved asked his own son to face the firing squad in your place and he does, and sets you free from having to face the firing squad yourself, would you say that man is good or would you say he is evil?

So, going by my explanation, my answer to your question is yes a human (substitutionary) sacrifice does prove that God is indeed good.

Yes it is on par with ritualistic killing even the Bible declares as much, it calls him the lamb. Lambs were slaughtered and burnt as sacrifice, the imagery is supposed to remind you of the gruesome way he died.

It doesn’t matter why he was sacrificed, it is still a human being sacrificed. Do you recall the story of the king of Jericho who sacrificed his 2 sons to achieve victory, there is no difference between what he did and what you say your god did. They both sacrificed their sons to a god for favorable outcome aka human sacrifice.

In your example I would consider such a man as crazy not good. What loving father would do such a thing to his child?
Re: Questions About Hell. by Kobojunkie: 1:02am On Sep 07, 2021
LordReed:
Well he was either not a human or a sacrifice to not be a human sacrifice, if he was both then he was a human sacrifice.
What I said is that Jesus Christ was not a sacrifice to God. undecided
Re: Questions About Hell. by LordReed(m): 1:06am On Sep 07, 2021
Kobojunkie:
What I said is that Jesus Christ was not a sacrifice to God. undecided

He was a sacrifice to who then?
Re: Questions About Hell. by Kobojunkie: 1:36am On Sep 07, 2021
LordReed:
He was a sacrifice to who then?
Instead He gave up His life on behalf of His friends. undecided
Re: Questions About Hell. by LordReed(m): 6:59am On Sep 07, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Instead He gave up His life on behalf of His friends. undecided

Are you forgetting John 3:16?
Re: Questions About Hell. by KnownUnknown: 12:45pm On Sep 07, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

Jesus gave His Life by choice not by force. He left His throne and took off His Glorious Crown in exchange for a cross and a crown of thorns

Royalty is the lie that some humans are better than others based on their ancestry. That some people have “royal blood”. It’s one of the more depraved human ideas that quickly lead to tyranny and all manner of evils.

The god of this fellow is subject to the same delusion of inherent superiority. A diety that sits on a throne and wears a crown like man.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

A Lot Of Stories And Verses In The Bible Were Copied From Another Religion / Why Are We So Vindictive As Christians? / What Is Your Best Christian Book?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.