Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,576 members, 7,820,071 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:18 AM

My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me - Family (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me (48476 Views)

My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved / Help: My Father Is Killing My Mom Gradually / My Friend's Father Is A Ghost!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by KiNg0G: 3:50pm On Apr 16, 2022
Oyiboman69:
girl wen you see wen una young, spend money until like urgent 2k,give belle,papa and mama say carry your cross,you go marry am,suffered together, born children for hard condition, d money wen u surpose take enjoy, u use am buy pammpers,. then all of a sudden, your wife inherited properties and you were both together before her unfortunate demise. tell me,if the father had own some properties the later died,hope this same son will also lay claim to it. This guy has some properties already and why can't he leave these ones for his dad to at least enjoy before he died. What I notice about him is how his presence scared the family members away when his mother was alive and which he now arrogated the properties to himself. What I want to ask him is that... is he going to challenge his father in court?.

Sometimes I wonder wetin I dey struggle, depriving myself of some good things just to take care of children....

you reason like a mad man.

you read where he say him papa dey sell him mama inherited properties.. .his grandparents assets
meaning ancestral properties that was supposed to be passed down to him then to his kids...

some of you reason like a mad man.....

if your daughter married in the future and after her
demise, her husband decides to sell the inheritance
you left her and just to flex anyhow without minding
your grandchildren u go like am?
some of you need sense refill
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Dalil8: 3:51pm On Apr 16, 2022
baby124:

With the level of madness you displayed here. Sure banker Na for dustbin dem born you throw at. I no sure you know anybody wey like you. You suppose do the world a favor and take your medicine go sleep.

I talk am! say no be only ur mama get mental illness for una family...you sef get. All my suspicions don dey confirmed.

Ehyaa sorry oh. Get help on time before una go enter express.

1 Like

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Kobojunkie: 3:51pm On Apr 16, 2022
Maobichek:
Court process can take 20 years hence it's not the best option; let them sit down and talk about it, let them reach a compromise on the properties, court is not the best option, thank you.
I am imagining the OP has tried sitting down and talking this out with his dad but has reached nowhere with him, so may be desperately looking for someway to stop the man from continuing frivolously doing away with what was his mother's property. undecided

If pursuing this angle somehow delays his father's planned use of the properties, should he at least try? undecided
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by NoToPile: 3:51pm On Apr 16, 2022
KiNg0G:

if your daughter married in the future and after her demise, her husband decides to sell the inheritance you left her and just to flex anyhow without minding your grandchildren u go like am?

some of you need sense refill

It's a very valid question.

1 Like

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Housing(m): 3:52pm On Apr 16, 2022
GraciousGod190
Your father has right to the property wether inherited before marriage or acquired while being married, if they are still married as at the time of your Mum death. In Sharia there is percentage for spouse.

It is better to give your father his share if he was still married to your Mum as at the time of her demise.

Having said that it seems you are not taking good care of your father. Please forgive him if he had wrong you and your Mum in the past. Just be responsible for some of his needs.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by writeprof(m): 3:52pm On Apr 16, 2022
Did your mother have a will before she died?
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by fuck419: 3:52pm On Apr 16, 2022
My submission is that you reconcile with your Father, make peace and show him more love and care.

Perhaps, it's the fact that he's in pain for losing his life partner that led to his new bad life style. Everything is all yours if peace is maintained. If you don't pursue peace, you may lose everything since your Father is still alive.

Wisdom is everything!

1 Like

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Mariangeles(f): 3:56pm On Apr 16, 2022
Kobojunkie:
do not try to use ojoro here. Oo. Recall say we get plenty geniuses for this our community so. Na we invent everything Even the DSM wey you dey use diagnose us. undecided

Kobo, abeg no kill me with laugh. grin

1 Like

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by DMerciful(m): 3:56pm On Apr 16, 2022
The guy said a hard truth! When mem die, they leave their properties for the wife(wives) and children but women with properties tends to leave it for the children alone.
pocohantas:

This is not about women loving their husbands except you have comprehension issues which wouldn’t be farfetched. The OP is a man, dragging land with his father- also a man. How then is the innocent woman to blame that two supposedly logical beings can’t agree? My dear, use your head.

4 Likes

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by pocohantas(f): 3:58pm On Apr 16, 2022
DMerciful:
The guy said a hard truth! When mem die, they leave their properties for the wife(wives) and children but women with properties tends to leave it for the children alone.

What is the hard truth there? Did anyone stop men from partaking in their late wives properties? Because I am yet to see any woman’s family go fight the man. It is even his son fighting him. So what hard truth are you sharing here?

1 Like

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by descarado: 3:58pm On Apr 16, 2022
baby124:

It belongs to his mother. These are properties her parents gave her and she owned outside of the marriage. It is the mothers inheritance.
It doesn't belong to the mother.
Most fathers properties were mostly generational properties but still rightfully go to the wives after the death of their husbands.

When husbands put children's names on the will, we cry marginalisation and unfair treatment.

What we should rather be arguing about is how to make the old man not sell.

2 Likes

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by slowice(m): 3:59pm On Apr 16, 2022
In my place, mom's property belong to the last born male... But if e many, we go share.

Your dad isn't suppose to be doing this
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Yankee101: 3:59pm On Apr 16, 2022
As long as they were not divorced or separated. He has rights. But you have rights too so make una try settle
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by effort1: 4:00pm On Apr 16, 2022
GraciousGod190:

How?

Really

I don't agree at all

If I wasn't born, do you think those property would be accessible to him?
Because he married my mother.
It would have been passed down to the closest relative of my mother kindreds

You seem to have made up your mind. So, why are you here?

You aren't looking for advice; you are only looking for those who will tell you what you are doing is right, people who will give you approval to go ahead.

1 Like

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by jeff1607(m): 4:00pm On Apr 16, 2022
Op pay your mother’s bride price before you own any bragging right

1 Like

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by effort1: 4:01pm On Apr 16, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Get yourself a good lawyer and stand your ground. Don't allow any of the effort your mother made to ensure the property ended up in your hands go to waste. undecided

He should sue his father to court?

The way you are attacking men here, is like your father taped you and you are taking it out on all men.

1 Like

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by newmoney133: 4:02pm On Apr 16, 2022
Op i think i understand where your decision comes from.Some people grew up in a near to perfect home where love and respect by each of their parent is second to none.The women and children in those kind of relationship have nothing to fear and can trust the decision of the husband but i guess your case is the exact opposite.I know some people will ask me how i came to the conclusion.It is normal to allow him collect rents from some properties but outright sale of your wife property while the son is alive is not what a responsible father will do.The wife did not sell it but was satisfy with rent collection..
To allow peace to reign,Get a good lawyer and arrange all the documents showing you as next of kin and the will.Tell him henceforth you will start collecting the rent and make arrangement on how much you will be giving him periodically and Lastly allow him sell one property.Release one to him since you said properties.May God keep you.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by jeff1607(m): 4:02pm On Apr 16, 2022
GraciousGod190:

When issues like this are raised, people like you who don't have anything meaningful to contribute other than to abuse will start creeping out from your swampy holes... like bush rats in mangrove deserts.

For your info, I own 2 apartments already... personal I build with my money...not everyone is as lazy as your father.

If you truly own your own apartments, you won’t even have the time to bother about your parents properties

1 Like

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by baby124: 4:03pm On Apr 16, 2022
descarado:

It doesn't belong to the mother.
Most fathers properties were mostly generational properties but still rightfully go to the wives after the death of their husbands.

When husbands put children's names on the will, we cry marginalisation and unfair treatment.

What we should rather be arguing about is how to make the old man not sell.
Most of those properties go to the man’s kids. Even in Yoruba land, they divide the properties with wives and children equally. In fact in most cases it’s the children that get it but the mother is entitled to her husbands house where they lived till she dies and is entitled to be taken care of till she dies. She no get right to sell anything without all her children agreeing. They only get away with such when the children are very young. When they become like 18 and above, forget it. The parents cannot do anything on family property without their agreement.

1 Like

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by finofaya: 4:03pm On Apr 16, 2022
GraciousGod190

Free legal advice: Spouses are entitled to inherit each other. Consult a lawyer in your state for advice specific to your situation.

1 Like

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by smasher1(m): 4:03pm On Apr 16, 2022
simpleseyi:

Just the same way you are fighting your father for properties, you are also fighting anybody that has s contrary opinion to your prodigality

if he claims he has two properties and his own money, I don't know why he is ready to die because of inherited properties. even those without anything don't fight over land.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by chidi1: 4:04pm On Apr 16, 2022
Sorry sir, but common sense says it now belongs to your father. Expecially if there is no will. Unfortunately, you do not have any grounds to fight for your moms property. By default, your father in any jurisdiction is your mother's next of keen, except if they divorced before her death.

1 Like

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by effort1: 4:04pm On Apr 16, 2022
bjprodint1:
Op said,his mom left"us"with a lot of properties.he never said his mom left him with d properties.he should just go and calmly talk 2 his dad instead of attracting curse on himself.plenty people don die because of land matter.

Kobojunkie is from a broken home. You can expect her to reason sensibly
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by nencounter10: 4:05pm On Apr 16, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Any marriage done according to legal and constitution provisions is registered. So, if the marriage is unregistered, it means it no enter. Simple. undecided

I know of one such myself. undecided

This will be my last post on this to you.

You can only register something that has taken place for national record purposes and to get a formal document to show people without having to resort to a court that that thing has occurred. If you don't have a formal proof you may miss such benefits unless the court comes to your rescue.

That something was not registered does not mean it never occurred.

For example, birth. That a birth was not registered does not mean it did not occur. You and I know that a person without a birth certificate will face a lot of disavantages until the court bail him out.

Another example of is death. That a death was not registered does not mean it never occurred, but without a death certificate, how do you claim the vast amount in your late dad's account.. Many deaths go unregistered.

Similarly, before you register a marriage,for record purposes, it must first have occurred. That you did not register it does not mean it never occurred. If you don't register it, you face some disavantages until the court comes to your rescue.

I have never met anyone who registered traditional marriage, but,I know that inspite of this many people which such marriage seek divorce in the court of law. If such marriages were not valid, the court would never entertain such cases.

The important point to note is this: you can only register something that had occurred, whether birth, marriage or death.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by gotnel: 4:06pm On Apr 16, 2022
God help you and your family.
Father and son should be able to get along properly.
Your father is entitled to your mother property, if they were legally and traditionally married.
They lives in peace and harmony with each other till death did them apart.
It's high time for you and your father to mend fence and come together.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Visasolution048: 4:07pm On Apr 16, 2022
KiNg0G:
junkie agbeg go sleep, nor be only you dey read this thread

your comments dey disturb people
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by DMerciful(m): 4:07pm On Apr 16, 2022
This son is trying to follow precedence. Many women who will properties do so to their children and men naturally will be too ashamed to be dragging properties so they just ignore but may hate the women for it.

This son that looks in one direction, if the mother acquired debts, would he be dragging it with the Dad?
pocohantas:

What is the hard truth there? Did anyone stop men from partaking in their late wives properties? Because I am yet to see any woman’s family go fight the man. It is even his son fighting him. So what hard truth are you sharing here?

1 Like

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by NoToPile: 4:08pm On Apr 16, 2022
Mindlog:

Why should a property inherited by a woman from her father be registered in the name of the man she is married to, what happened to her own name?

I was beyond shocked when I saw that post.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by zivility: 4:09pm On Apr 16, 2022
He has as much right to it as u. If she has willed it to you then fine. Otherwise it's his property actually, by right the spouse comes first.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by DMerciful(m): 4:10pm On Apr 16, 2022
Women, una nor dey tire to fight patriarchy?
pocohantas:

Of course you wouldn’t read the OP well because you want to blame the mother- A WOMAN.

1 Like

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Nobody: 4:10pm On Apr 16, 2022
Lekan239:
did you know the first Landed property I bought was registered in the name of my wife up till today. Be wise and choose your words wisely
The property you acquired yourself is different from the one your father handed over to you, not to talk of the one your father inlaw handed over to your wife. And you want to start dragging that with your son?

If you change the name on the property your father gave you to your wife, then, it is all over na. But I am sure it will never happen.

You no well at all. How can a man in his right sense think like this? Chai! Many Nigerian men are pus...sies.

Are you really sure you are ok? In fact, I am sure the property you talked about was not from your pocket. Chai. And you still dey talk?

Is this one a man? Na puss...y be this one. grin

Werey dey disguise telling a lie he bought a property and put his wife's name there. Werey. Lol. People like you would buy a land in a ghetto for peanut and put her name, so you can acquire the one her papa handed to her in Banana Island. grin Na werey you be. You no get standard at all.

Very irritating. I spit on pus...sy men like you.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by DMerciful(m): 4:12pm On Apr 16, 2022
The Op is a product of the father and mother so saying their marriage is invalid makes his birth technically invalid. Without his father, he won't be in existence
Kobojunkie:
You know this is another angle the OP could look into. If the marriage between his father and mother were never in fact registered, maybe OP could use that to his benefit. What do you think? undecided

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (23) (Reply)

Getting The Best Out Of Your House Helps / "My husband abandoned my family after He Paid N580K Bride Price" Lady laments / Father Recreates Family Photo After 20 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.