Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,489 members, 7,830,464 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:50 PM

What Is The Difference Between Spirit And Soul - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Difference Between Spirit And Soul (3360 Views)

Understanding The Difference Between Spirit, Soul And Body (2) / What's The Difference Between The Spirit And The Soul? / How Do We Worship God In Spirit And Truth ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Difference Between Spirit And Soul by FatherOfJesus: 1:52pm On Apr 23, 2022
Maynman:

What’s the difference between Brain and mind!
What’s their function?

Brain comes from old English “head” I have a physical head.
I don't know their functions, you are the expert here and you have said that your brain is immaterial. I agree with you
Re: What Is The Difference Between Spirit And Soul by Maynman: 1:53pm On Apr 23, 2022
LordReed:

Brain is the organ that controls and oversees all bodily functions. Mind is an emergent property of the workings of the brain that serves to encapsulate the identity of the individual.

Can you think with only brain and not mind?
And is mind a organ?
The origin of that word “brain” comes from “head” “brainbox” before it was changed to brain. It’s the mind that does the thinking in the brain(brainbox)

Re: What Is The Difference Between Spirit And Soul by Maynman: 1:53pm On Apr 23, 2022
FatherOfJesus:
I don't know their functions, you are the expert here and you have said that your brain is immaterial. I agree with you

Your mind is physical right?
Re: What Is The Difference Between Spirit And Soul by FatherOfJesus: 1:55pm On Apr 23, 2022
Maynman:

Your mind is physical right?
why are you asking me? I said I don't know cheesy
Re: What Is The Difference Between Spirit And Soul by Maynman: 1:56pm On Apr 23, 2022
FatherOfJesus:
why are you asking me? I said I don't know cheesy

But you know the brain is different from mind right?
Re: What Is The Difference Between Spirit And Soul by FatherOfJesus: 1:56pm On Apr 23, 2022
Maynman:

And is mind a organ?
The origin of that word “brain” comes from “head” “brainbox” before it was changed to brain. It’s the mind that does the thinking in the brain(brainbox)

Re: What Is The Difference Between Spirit And Soul by FatherOfJesus: 1:57pm On Apr 23, 2022
Maynman:

But you know the brain is different from mind right?
I don't know, I know that you don't have a physical brain
Re: What Is The Difference Between Spirit And Soul by Maynman: 1:57pm On Apr 23, 2022
[quote author=FatherOfJesus post=112205629][/quote]

Read.
Brian means head, brain locker.

Re: What Is The Difference Between Spirit And Soul by Maynman: 1:58pm On Apr 23, 2022
FatherOfJesus:
I don't know, I know that you don't have a physical brain

I have a physical head, head locker and that’s where the word “brain” comes from

Re: What Is The Difference Between Spirit And Soul by FatherOfJesus: 1:58pm On Apr 23, 2022
Maynman:

Read.
Brian means head, brain locker.
I agree with you
Re: What Is The Difference Between Spirit And Soul by Maynman: 1:58pm On Apr 23, 2022
FatherOfJesus:
I agree with you

Agree with old English I didn’t write it, Read.

Re: What Is The Difference Between Spirit And Soul by KnownUnknown: 1:59pm On Apr 23, 2022
LordReed:
Maynman, seems you are conflating brain and mind. Brain is physical, mind is immaterial. Brain in inside your head aka brainbox while mind has no physical location.

I think the word you are looking for is intangible not immaterial. The mind may be intangible but it does have a physical location or it is the intangible function of a physical object, the brain/nervous system. The so called “immaterial” is just another way to refer to spirits and souls.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Spirit And Soul by FatherOfJesus: 2:00pm On Apr 23, 2022
Maynman:

Agree with old English I didn’t write it, Read.
lol grin
Re: What Is The Difference Between Spirit And Soul by chinasaekpere: 2:03pm On Apr 23, 2022
Maynman:

You have a physical brain, but you don’t have a physical mind? How come?
Do you reason without your mind?
See a doctor, you need help.
You are posting too much jargons

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between Spirit And Soul by Maynman: 2:53pm On Apr 23, 2022
KnownUnknown:

I think the word you are looking for is intangible not immaterial. The mind may be intangible but it does have a physical location or it is the intangible function of a physical object, the brain/nervous system. The so called “immaterial” is just another way to refer to spirits and souls.

Bro, the English word for brain comes from “brain locker” so when you say I have a brain, you mean I have a brain locker. But what does the thinking in the brain(brainlocker) is the mind, you can call it soul or Om.
I’m not talking about the location of the mind, I’m talking about the mind itself, can we extract it?
The definition of “immaterial” doesn’t relate to spirit or soul.

Re: What Is The Difference Between Spirit And Soul by Maynman: 2:54pm On Apr 23, 2022
chinasaekpere:
See a doctor, you need help.
You are posting too much jargons

Bro, the English word for “brain” comes from “brain locker” so when you say I have a “brain”, you mean I have a brain locker. But what does the thinking in the brain(brainlocker) is the mind, you can call it soul or Om.

What is hard to understand?

Re: What Is The Difference Between Spirit And Soul by Maynman: 2:55pm On Apr 23, 2022
FatherOfJesus:
lol grin

“Brain” was previously translated as “brain locker” look at the origin of the name.
So when you say I have a brain, you mean I have a brain locker but the thing that does the thinking in the brain(brainbox/locker) is the mind, you can call it soul or Om.

Re: What Is The Difference Between Spirit And Soul by KnownUnknown: 3:00pm On Apr 23, 2022
Maynman:

Bro, the English word for brain comes from “brain locker” so when you say I have a brain, you mean I have a brain locker. But what does the thinking in the brain(brainlocker) is the mind, you can call it soul or Om.
I’m not talking about the location of the mind, I’m talking about the mind itself, can we extract it?

I don’t care about your mumbo jumbo, whether you call it brain locker or foot locker. Soul, Om, or Mo.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Spirit And Soul by Maynman: 3:02pm On Apr 23, 2022
KnownUnknown:

I don’t care about your mumbo jumbo, whether you call it brain locker or foot locker. Soul, Om, or Mo.

Then who called you into mumbo jumbo? Were you invited?
We have mad people that have “brain”(brainlocker) but they don’t have the mind(reasoning) to be able to use it.

Re: What Is The Difference Between Spirit And Soul by Maynman: 3:05pm On Apr 23, 2022
FatherOfJesus:
I agree with you

Don’t mad people have brain? But the thing(mind) that’s doing the thinking in the brain(brainlocker) is missing.

Re: What Is The Difference Between Spirit And Soul by LordReed(m): 3:24pm On Apr 23, 2022
KnownUnknown:

Point taken.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between Spirit And Soul by LordReed(m): 3:26pm On Apr 23, 2022
Maynman:

And is mind a organ?

Exactly, that is why they are not the same thing. The brain is not intangible, the mind is.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Spirit And Soul by Maynman: 3:28pm On Apr 23, 2022
LordReed:

Exactly, that is why they are not the same thing. The brain is not intangible, the mind is.

The brain(brainlocker) of course is physical, but the mind is the one that does the thinking in the brain(brainlocker).
Do they do brain surgery for mad people? What are they gonna treat inside the brain?
I said they are the same in meaning. But in context they are not.

Re: What Is The Difference Between Spirit And Soul by Maynman: 3:32pm On Apr 23, 2022
LordReed:

Point taken.

You can’t smell the mind or hear the sound. It’s immaterial
Intangible means you can’t feel it by touch, but you can use your other senses for it.

Re: What Is The Difference Between Spirit And Soul by AntiChristian: 4:00pm On Apr 23, 2022
Maynman:

“Have a soul or spirit?” You said soul=spirit

Either cases. Is there anyone that you won’t need to have a spirit? And it’s an adverb.

Yes they are same. Human= body and soul/spirit.

Having a spirit is having a soul.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Spirit And Soul by Maynman: 4:02pm On Apr 23, 2022
AntiChristian:

Yes they are same. Human= body and soul/spirit.

Having a spirit is having a soul.

Soul and spirit are different.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Spirit And Soul by AntiChristian: 4:03pm On Apr 23, 2022
Maynman:

Soul and spirit are different.

What is the difference?
Re: What Is The Difference Between Spirit And Soul by Maynman: 4:05pm On Apr 23, 2022
AntiChristian:

What is the difference?

Re: What Is The Difference Between Spirit And Soul by Maynman: 4:06pm On Apr 23, 2022
AntiChristian:

What is the difference?

Tell me how they are the same.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Spirit And Soul by Great2017: 4:14pm On Apr 23, 2022
Kobojunkie:
A Soul, you were created with as a result of being born of the physical components of this here world. undecided

However, a spirit you acquire when you become born-again. - John 3 vs 5 - 8 undecided
What about spiritual wickedness, are they not spirits?
Re: What Is The Difference Between Spirit And Soul by Kobojunkie: 4:16pm On Apr 23, 2022
Great2017:
What about spiritual wickedness, are they not spirits?
Spiritual wickedness? You mean demons and devils? Like Angels, they are obviously not humans and so the same rules do not apply to them. undecided
Re: What Is The Difference Between Spirit And Soul by AntiChristian: 4:17pm On Apr 23, 2022
Maynman:

Tell me how they are the same.

I asked the difference first!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

My Story By Paul Grundy / See What Happened To Pastor Chris And Anita After The Divorce / Was It Destiny, Fate Or Predestination That Saved You from that accident or got you that job ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.